Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Fall

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

I am in the insurance claims biz.  The stark and vivid reality of a claim is that If you lose the client to death, there is likely no recourse.  The claim will die with that person unless the occurrence is the thing that caused the death and then there has to be persons with proper standing to collect in place of that deceased plaintiff.   Now certainly in this case we are not speaking of an occurrence like an accident that caused physical injury.. But, nonetheless when a plaintiff attorney has an elderly client nervousness always sets in that all could be lost due to natural cause of death.  These plaintiffs are all elderly and "tomorrow is not promised".   So I believe Jimmy/Saul recognizes that fact and it is time to close the deal.  

Unless all the class members died before the verdict/settlement, I doubt that sort of thing would come into play here.  

Others may disagree, but to me it was CRYSTAL clear that Jimmy didn't give a damn about the old ladies.  If his advice was sound (and I don't think it was) is was purely by coincidence.  

If Jimmy was the least bit sincere he:

1) Wouldn't have LIED to the ladies and told them that the lawyers explained to Irene that if she holds out she would get a little more and the lawyers would get lots more.  

2) Wouldn't have LIED to the ladies saying Irene must be on "easy street" if she could afford the sneakers that he knew HE gave her to set her up when he knew she couldn't even afford the $140 for her will.

3) Wouldn't have rigged the bingo game to further alienate her.

If Jimmy was sincere, he would have encouraged the ladies to have a dialogue with Irene and discuss the pros and cons, and ask to speak with the D&M lawyers.  She wasn't being stubborn or selfish, as Jimmy painted her.  She was merely following the expert advice of counsel.  He didn't do this because he knew what he was selling was BS, and the D&M lawyers would have made that clear to the ladies.  He wanted the ladies to take a lowball offer because he was desperate to get his $1.16 million dollars right away.  

His treatment of Irene and manipulation of the other ladies was downright diabolical.   It was a combination of the guile of Gus Fring and the moral code of Hector Salamanca.  They were victimized by Sandpiper and he is victimizing them again, and in Irene's case, in far more harmful way.   

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

During Howard's testimony it was called in a "FMLA leave" and he said he could not give any more details due to confidentiality.  Kim asked him to confirm it was due to mental illness, an objection was made and upheld and that was the end of his testimony.  

If it was medical leave, then Charles might not have been whistling Dixie when he told the Santa Rosa people that they were violating a dozen regulations off the top of his head.  He might have protections under federal law, and they might not be on solid legal ground raising premiums on him and all of his colleagues.  They were willing to issue a rider if he was supervised, so they are focusing on his condition, not the conditions in his house.  And if he's able to adequately represent himself in any proceedings against Santa Rosa*, their claim of him being a higher risk will suffer.  *Santa Rosa was the name of the mental hospital Hurley was in on Lost.*

• Love 1

FMLA only applies for 12 weeks or so.  This happened well beyond that. 

After that he would have to be on either no leave to continue working or on disability of some type.  And they should have reported it to the malpractice carrier. 

Plus I don't think HHM wants Chuck going into ANOTHER courtroom drama over his medical illness and having to AGAIN to testify on all this under oath, either Chuck doing it or anyone else, which is what is bound to happen if they tried to sue the insurance company. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

FMLA only applies for 12 weeks or so.  This happened well beyond that. 

When does the 12 weeks start and stop running?  What was the testimony at the bar hearing?  I don't even remember that FMLA was said, so I'm just asking for clarification. 

I would think that if Kim loses the Billy Gatwood/Gatwood Oil client because of not making it to the meeting with the landowners, Jimmy/Saul would move heaven and earth to get it back for her, just as he did with Mesa Verde.  Now that he's nearly all Saul, I wouldn't put any criminal manipulations beyond him.  Of course, as with everything Jimmy/Saul does, it would fail in spectacular fashion, including all the possible unintended consequences for Kim.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure that Chuck was not doing any work from home when the show started.  We saw Jimmy getting him specific grocery items, ice, and the Financial Times, but nothing from HHM. In fact, when Jimmy asked Chuck for help on his senior wills, I think it was a ploy to get Chuck interested in practicing law again.   I don't remember in detail how all the Mesa Verde stuff went down, but I think when Kim was planning to take MV with her when she left HHM, that's when Howard went to Chuck and said he had to come into the office and schmoose the client with his gravitas and legal expertise to get them to stay.

• Love 5
On 6/13/2017 at 0:04 AM, ShellSeeker said:

Ugh. This is the first time I've really disliked Jimmy. Getting all those ladies to turn on poor Irene was just so mean and sleazy. 

He only scratched the veneer to reveal what was underneath.  

• Love 6

When they showed a bottle of No Doze in Kim's car, the near miss at the oil rig site, and her asking for more coffee I knew something was going to happen. Loved how they filmed it. I was afraid she might die! 

Jimmy's con on the senior citizens was about him getting the money he needs and wants, however, it also seems to be in the best interest of the old folks in the class action suit, so, I can't hate on him for it. 

I did hate Jimmy's attitude when he went back to the office with Tequila! Why isn't he assisting Kim with her full work load?! Just because he is temporarily unable to practice law doesn't mean he can't help Kim behind the scenes! 

• Love 2

How did Jimmy's bingo fix not fall apart as soon as everyone noticed that the same numbers came up first again when Kelly started calling the next game? For that matter, she probably should have noticed that the balls were sticking to each other when she went to put them back in the machine. Although, she is pretty trusting; it didn't look like she actually tried to check Irene's card after Irene hid all of the numbers with a black marker instead of using one of those special colored daubers.

• Love 2

For that matter, I'm a little hazy on the physics of the Bingo fix. As I understand it, Jimmy injected some of the balls with some liquid to make them heavier. That would make it more likely that these balls would sink to the bottom of the vessel and not be picked up by the vacuum tube at the top.

Or Maybe Jimmy injected all of the balls except the ones he wanted to come up. 

1 hour ago, PeterPirate said:

For that matter, I'm a little hazy on the physics of the Bingo fix. As I understand it, Jimmy injected some of the balls with some liquid to make them heavier. That would make it more likely that these balls would sink to the bottom of the vessel and not be picked up by the vacuum tube at the top.

Or Maybe Jimmy injected all of the balls except the ones he wanted to come up. 

It was magnets. 
I'm not familar with Bingo (my mother refuses to leave her apartment in the assisted living facility to play), so I'm just guessing: Do they take the balls out of play so the same ones don't get called again? But, yeah, it seems like they'd put them back in for the next round. 
Is Vince Gilligan doing episode podcasts? Or maybe there's an interview or tweet about it?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I thought that Jimmy introduced the fixed balls into the mix once he saw Irene come in.  Then he used  Marco's ring to "pull up" the 5 fixed balls.

It looked like the balls were being attracted to something metal sticking out inside the tube, probably a normal part of the machine that Jimmy saw he could use. Even if Marco's ring was just gold plated, it wouldn't have been that effective from outside.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It looked like the balls were being attracted to something metal sticking out inside the tube, probably a normal part of the machine that Jimmy saw he could use.…

That's what I thought, so either the young woman puts the fixed balls back into play, or maybe there will be a throwaway line from her to Jimmy about how she was sure to keep the fixed balls out of play and how nice it was for Jimmy to fix the game for her to win since she'd been so down in the dumps lately.

• Love 1

Do they do an entire reset and put all the balls back into play *every* time they play a round? It just seems unnecessary to reset the whole game when there were only 5 balls out of play by the time Irene won.

I figured that the woman who took over from Jimmy as MC would just keep playing until someone else won, not dump Irene's winning balls back in and start the whole thing from scratch.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was magnets. 
I'm not familar with Bingo (my mother refuses to leave her apartment in the assisted living facility to play), so I'm just guessing: Do they take the balls out of play so the same ones don't get called again? But, yeah, it seems like they'd put them back in for the next round. 
Is Vince Gilligan doing episode podcasts? Or maybe there's an interview or tweet about it?

Thanks. I didn't know Jimmy used magnets.  

I'm pretty sure the balls get replaced after each game. I would think Jimmy would have the unaltered numbers ready to dump back into the vessel.  

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

What is this, the BINGO Olympics? Pro BINGO? ;)

It would make sense if Jimmy was counting on his assistant to not reset the board immediately since they'd only drawn four numbers, but if that's the case, why would the assistant talk about passing out new cards right away? If you don't reset the board and don't pass out new cards, it gives advantage to the remaining players, since the ones who already marked the drawn numbers can still use them toward a bingo, and the ones who didn't have them don't have to worry about them coming up again. But if you don't reset the board but do pass out new cards, you've just reduced the players' chances of getting a bingo, because the numbers that were already drawn are now a dead spot on everyone's cards. Or do the players just immediately mark the already-drawn numbers on their new cards, too? If so, why can't the players keep using their old cards, which are barely marked up?

I'm not clear how it would work if she did reset the board, either. Jimmy couldn't have, say, rigged the collection mechanism with magnets so the doctored balls don't go back into circulation. They're the only four balls in play, and Jimmy's assistant would certainly notice if she went to dump four balls back in the machine and there were zero balls instead.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/14/2017 at 5:25 PM, PrincessSteel said:

Methinks you have never been to a geriatric bingo game...I used to go with my Nana, and the room is downright frosty when someone wins, especially if they win fast!

On 6/16/2017 at 8:51 PM, rue721 said:

What is this, the BINGO Olympics? Pro BINGO? ;)

I've been to a few Bingo tournaments in my day, although they were decidedly amateur events not held in retirement homes.  Sometimes they have continued to draw numbers after the first winner and given out consolation prizes.  But once they started to pass out new cards they cleared the numbers and started over.  

ETA: I don't think the magnet thing wouldn't work. It would require some sort of powered electromagnet to generate a field strong enough to overcome the additional force of gravity from matter injected into the balls.

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2017 at 11:13 PM, Irlandesa said:

"Drug dealer? If that's all you think he is..."  I wonder if TPTB even know who Gus is supposed to be.  His background is intriguing.

I think calling Gus a "drug dealer" puts him in the same league as Combo/Badger/Skinny Pete.  Gus is more than a drug dealer, he's more like a drug kingpin.  I really don't think there's any more to read into it.

I just watched this morning, and that scene with Irene running out of the Bingo game crying has practically wrecked my weekend!  I have to remind myself these are people playing fictional roles!

That scene with Kim in the car was so tense.  She looked like she was nodding off, and I knew something was going to happen to her, but the tension came in because I had no idea when.  Very well done!

• Love 3

Two other things I thought about...

There were questions about why the title was "Fall".  I think it's because of Kim falling asleep at the wheel.  Watching Kim talk to the oil guy made me see what a real gem we have in Rhea Seehorn.  She did such a great job of looking and acting thoroughly exhausted while trying to hide it from the oil guy.

I cannot stand Lydia, so it was no surprise that I wasn't thrilled to see her, but what really bugged me was that she met with Mike about his "security" title.  I was under the distinct impression that when Mike & Lydia had their 1st scene on Breaking Bad that it was also the 1st time they ever met.  I guess it's possible they met & forgot about it, but I have a hard time believing someone who's as tuned in to details as Mike would forget.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/12/2017 at 8:59 PM, LittleIggy said:

Maybe I'm too charitable, but I think Jimmy wanted his payout and for the old folks to get their money before they died. 

You are a kind and charitable person. I, on the other hand, believe he was acting entirely in his own interests.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:24 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Nacho's scene with his dad was sad.  Again, he isn't innocent in this at all, but he really does love his dad and doesn't want him to be part of this life.  I'm glad that Michael Mando is getting more moments to shine in the last half of this season.  Of course, I'm prepared for the worst when it comes to his fate.  Not sure if Hector will find out or something else will happen.  Also, I don't know if it was a fake-out, but I wonder if they are hinting that Gus might be suspecting something, due to the way he was staring at Nacho after Hector's attack.

It was so beautifully shot too, the lighting on Nacho's face was extraordinary. I loved this one throwaway action, when Nacho left, he took his glass of milk (?) and took it to the sink. His father threw him out, and he was still a good boy who cleaned up after himself. 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I just saw blood.  I've (thankfully) never experienced it but I understand that an airbag going off can do a number on your face.

I had an accident in similar circumstances, though instead of falling asleep after working too many hours, I thought the brake lights I saw (rainy night) were a slow down rather than a stoppage.  My first thought was a grateful "well, thank goodness it didn't flay me" the second - "how am I going to meet my deadlines now." That was my come to Jesus moment, and I've never worked like that again. It's just not worth it.  But I did learn that "standing on your brakes" is, literally, standing on your brakes.

On 6/12/2017 at 10:45 PM, scenario said:

I can see Howard trying to pin Jimmy for acting as a lawyer while he was suspended but can't quite get Irene to say what he needs her to say to make it stick. 

It seemed to me that he carefully parsed his words so that no one could claim he practiced law in any way.

On 6/13/2017 at 5:35 AM, ghoulina said:

Jimmy is on super thin ice with me right now.

He broke through the ice for me.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:06 AM, ShadowFacts said:

Medicare doesn't usually pay for assisted living, there needs to be illness or disability involved and these ladies look pretty good.  Medicaid reimbursement rates are not high, if a facility even accepts Medicaid.  Irene's apartment looked pretty nice, brick interior wall, pool outside.  I doubt the place is getting government reimbursement, or Sandpiper's billing practices would have them in big trouble for Medicare fraud.  I bet these are mostly widows who are living on their Social Security and other savings/investment income. 

When my father was admitted into an assisted care facility due to advanced Alzheimer's, he couldn't get Medicaid until his "estate" was down to $2,000. The facility he was in was nicer than I would have expected, but not even close to the Sandpiper housing. He had essentially a bedroom with a half-bath - and that was 4K a month. 

On 6/13/2017 at 0:41 PM, Apricotte said:

I have grown to care for Jimmy, and I didn't expect to dislike watching his transformation into Saul so much when I started watching this show. 

I said pretty much the same thing to my husband when we watched the episode.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:10 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I'm not so sure how valid the insurance carrier's case is.  Chuck ,who every lawyer on the show acknowledges know the law better than all of them, was extremely confident that the law was on their side and me.  He said that he could think of a "dozen infractions" they were committing, off the top of his head.  I also don't know how serious a risk of liability Chuck's condition is.  He never actually botched any cases, though because of Jimmy's deceit and Kim helping him put his taped confession into question, the insurance company has that incorrect impression.  

I don't know much about malpractice insurance, but I was surprised to hear them say that the costs would go up for every lawyer at H&M, not just Chuck (I did hear that, right?). That would be a hell of a lot of money.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't know much about malpractice insurance, but I was surprised to hear them say that the costs would go up for every lawyer at H&M, not just Chuck (I did hear that, right?). That would be a hell of a lot of money.

That's what was said.  However, Chuck didn't actually harm a client.  The delay with Mesa Verde didn't cause them to veer off their timeline, Howard said that to Paige and Kevin in this episode, so there isn't much basis for a malpractice claim there.  This is written to set up a standoff between Chuck and Howard, so I suppose we're meant to think the insurance company has the upper hand, which contractually they might, they probably have wide latitude to increase premiums.  Most of us have probably had personal experience with car and homeowner's premiums going up without rhyme or reason.

• Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, ByTor said:

Two other things I thought about...

There were questions about why the title was "Fall".  I think it's because of Kim falling asleep at the wheel.  Watching Kim talk to the oil guy made me see what a real gem we have in Rhea Seehorn.  She did such a great job of looking and acting thoroughly exhausted while trying to hide it from the oil guy.

I cannot stand Lydia, so it was no surprise that I wasn't thrilled to see her, but what really bugged me was that she met with Mike about his "security" title.  I was under the distinct impression that when Mike & Lydia had their 1st scene on Breaking Bad that it was also the 1st time they ever met.  I guess it's possible they met & forgot about it, but I have a hard time believing someone who's as tuned in to details as Mike would forget.

I rewatched BB recently, and I could swear the first episode we see Lydia, she and Mike are meeting in a diner, and she's trying to do the covert ops thing (separate tables), and Mike has no time for that. He calls her Lydia, she calls him Mike, and he already seems weary of her antics, so they definitely seemed to know each other. 

(As much as I am generally meh on BCS, I don't think the show creators would make a continuity error that big with the major characters. They seem pretty meticulous.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2
(edited)
55 minutes ago, kieyra said:

I rewatched BB recently, and I could swear the first episode we see Lydia, she and Mike are meeting in a diner, and she's trying to do the covert ops thing (separate tables), and Mike has no time for that. He calls her Lydia, she calls him Mike, and he already seems weary of her antics, so they definitely seemed to know each other. 

I just did my 4th rewatch...yeah I kind of like Breaking Bad...but I guess I wasn't paying attention to details.  I just took another look at that diner scene; Lydia asked Mike who killed Gus, and he replied with "Haven't I told you not to worry about that?" so that does give the impression that at the very least they've spoken before.  My bad!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think the first BB scene with Mike and Lydia was their first meeting at that diner. She wanted to sit at different tables, he insisted on sitting at the same table.

One thought about the episode title is that Fall comes after Slip. 

Edited by PeterPirate

I really like Kim but I'm afraid for her. Her association with Jimmy is showing huge cracks. She doesn't deserve any of the shit that will come her way because of him. 

I feel like the accident is the beginning of the end for her.

There can be no doubt that Chuck created an iron-clad incorporation agreement which gives him the maximum leverage in any dissolution.  What is not clear to me is how the firm could still be in such a cash-poor position three years after the shock of a potential Chuck buyout first hit them.  I would further be stunned if Howard were not specifically tasked with devising the most beneficial prophylactics/mitigations for the firm.  

Defendants are notorious in American law for trying to wait out the death of an elder plaintiff.  I am not at all certain if the class action somehow protects the estates of the class members or not.  Anyway, I am with those who aren't buying that Sandpiper came forward with such a massive offer so quickly.  I choose to suspend disbelief for this plotpoint.  

The concept introduced of Big Law prolonging matters is dead on.  It would have been insane to take this to trial given the offer.  Except...at the end of the trial, the judge could award (and they often do) a massive additional fee structure for the attorneys.  This would be in addition to any won judgment.

Was Irene the lady Jimmy used for his awesome Sandpiper commercial?  Boy, did he do her dirty.

I am really, really, really, really, reeeeeeeally, gonna miss any new eps for another year or so.  I am dreading that the next season is likely to be the last.  

FYI - Be sure to set your DVRs/VCRs whatever for the Talking Saul show which will immediately follow tonight's season finale. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Defendants are notorious in American law for trying to wait out the death of an elder plaintiff.

Could that be an issue in Chuck's lawsuit?

I think he's only supposed to be in his mid-fifties (the ER nurses mentioned that as his approx age when he was rushed to the hospital after hitting his head), but he's in poor health and he's still not exactly young.

I wonder what happens to his share of the firm if he passes? His personal stuff, like the house, probably still goes to Rebecca. Kind of funny -- I am certain that he didn't ask Jimmy to draw up his will!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Could that be an issue in Chuck's lawsuit?

I think he's only supposed to be in his mid-fifties (the ER nurses mentioned that as his approx age when he was rushed to the hospital after hitting his head), but he's in poor health and he's still not exactly young.

I wonder what happens to his share of the firm if he passes? His personal stuff, like the house, probably still goes to Rebecca. Kind of funny -- I am certain that he didn't ask Jimmy to draw up his will!

I've said this before but Better Call Saul has made law fascinating to me. 

Good point about what happens to Chuck's assets.  I would imagine he has a will though I can't see him wanting to leave anything to Jimmy...or at least not without some pretty serious strings attached.  Probably Rebecca would get what he had.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Defendants are notorious in American law for trying to wait out the death of an elder plaintiff.  I am not at all certain if the class action somehow protects the estates of the class members or not.  Anyway, I am with those who aren't buying that Sandpiper came forward with such a massive offer so quickly.  I choose to suspend disbelief for this plotpoint.

The only class action suits  my husband or I were a class members for took so long that I forgot there was anything going on (clearly I wasn't expecting much money - and I didn't get much). I think one (involving retirement accounts) took at least five years.

1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Could the nurses have said mid-60's? McKean turns 70 this year, and he pretty much looks his age.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, rue721 said:

The firm is probably best off if he dies -- maybe that is why Howard has been dithering.  HHM may have life insurance on him that would pay his ownership share which would become part of his estate.  He might actually have Jimmy and Rebecca as his heirs as it's not inconceivable that he wouldn't have had time/bothered to change his will.   

(edited)
5 hours ago, benteen said:

I've said this before but Better Call Saul has made law fascinating to me. 

Good point about what happens to Chuck's assets.  I would imagine he has a will though I can't see him wanting to leave anything to Jimmy...or at least not without some pretty serious strings attached.  Probably Rebecca would get what he had.

I'm old enough to remember the OJ trial and reading that the number of law school students went through the roof during that time period.  Not sure BCS will have the same effect but it is fascinating.   I love law.  Although I was a philosophy major and they run together quite often.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1
On 6/15/2017 at 1:05 PM, Bryce Lynch said:

During Howard's testimony it was called it a "FMLA leave" and he said he could not give any more details due to confidentiality.  Kim asked him to confirm it was due to mental illness, an objection was made and upheld and that was the end of his testimony.  

But if you are out on FMLA you can't be doing work. And Chuck is working. He worked on both Sandpiper an Mesa Verse. Significant work on Mesa Verde. He is also being brought in for client meetings and strategy meetings. That is completely inappropriate. Especially given the nature of his illness. 

I think the insurance company has a great case that he is an increased risk. 

I did hate Jimmy's attitude when he went back to the office with Tequila! Why isn't he assisting Kim with her full work load?! Just because he is temporarily unable to practice law doesn't mean he can't help Kim behind the scenes! 

Yes! Kim was interested in hiring a paralegal and Jimmy can work as a paralegal while suspended. It's relatively common for people with law degrees who can't practice to work as paralegals. 

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, CherithCutestory said:

But if you are out on FMLA you can't be doing work

I'm not sure if this would be equivalent, but my 12 weeks of "Short Term Disability" for chemotherapy and surgery were spread out over about 5 months because it just had to total 60 days of medical leave in one calendar year (before Long Term Disability kicked in, which is when they yank your health insurance—seriously). Then with LTD,(which sounds more like what Chuck was dealing with) I was entitled to 2/3rds salary (enough to buy health insurance and pay rent) for up to 18 months, with a chance to earn full pay if I worked at least half time.

• Love 1