Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Pack Leaders

Aw man, when they said makeup shops would compete I thought ACTUAL shops would compete against each other. *sad trumpet noise* Booooooooo

Therefore the barrel's bottom was scraped again and we got some more newbies. Why would you go on Face Off if you've never done a chest piece before? I am sorry I have no respect for that. Granted I often disagree with the judges but only saw promise in one wolf in each group this round.

[Science nerd] Wolves in their natural packs do not have alpha/betas/competition for dominance ! That's the result of observations on non-related wolves forced to live together in a zoo.  Wolves actually live in family groups so if you see "alphas" ordering around "betas" it's parents ordering around their kids. Harumph [/Science nerd]

And no one picked my boo Matt OR Meghan. That's just poor judgement. Double harumph.

But I am glad to be with my fellow commenters again, lovely to talk to you all.

• Love 17

I don't really know who anyone is at this point. No standouts. Granted, it was a 'team' challenge. Maybe I'll have a better idea who is who in a couple of weeks. No one's look 'wowed' me or captured my interest. Just an intro to a dozen new people.

A lot of newbies with little life experience or point of view and lack of anatomy/cultural knowledge/history. How some of them made it to the contestant cut is beyond me. But time will tell. The green-haired Laura brought back memories of the other Laura and Dina the cake decorator. The shop's 'boss' - the older dude who's apparently worked on a lot of projects - should have been directing the 'shop' more and helped correct mistakes/done a better job of assigning duties. Seemed just focused on himself.

• Love 3

A massive lightening storm wrecked the first fifteen minutes of our reception, so I have an excuse (dog ate my homework) for not being able to tell the newbies apart.  And then they went and sent the vibrant green hair home.  

Mr. Westmore must have wanted to scream "Canines have muzzles, people!"  

With that many people wandering around, didn't anyone work on the timing with serious forethought?  All the time spent on the backbones and rib cages.  Haven't they noticed that the face is everything?  No producer ever wanted to put something special  smile expressed by a creatures backbone (or a special belch from a tummy prosthesis.)

At least I only heard one version of "I want to win this so I can stop my mundane job as a brain surgeon".

• Love 4

So - they decided to gloss over the teats on the losers' Alpha? We found that to be an... unfortunate design choice.

Overall, not an auspicious start to the season - "werewolves" always seems like a tough theme for some reason anyway, and throwing it out first didn't help any here. Even the "good" looks had pretty major flaws.

Best of luck to the Twisted Six Five going forward.

• Love 5

I started to worry about the collective intelligence of the losing team when they decided to name their team Sinister Sixes or Sextet or whatever it was.  It didn't occur to any of them that the name would fit only until they lost a member.  

The girl who was eliminated seemed very nice but I'm happy not to have to look at her bright green hair and nose ring.  

• Love 8

Happy Face Off is back! I just recently decided to de-lurk and reactivate my account so what better show to do that! 

I agreed with the winning and losing teams, although I had no specific opinion on the individual winner, but I'm fine with it. I didn't agree with the elimination though. I would've sent Nick home. His face was horrible. Neville was on point when he said "I don't know what it is". Green haired Lauren - doing a chest piece for the first time ever was not a great idea but to me it didn't look egregiously bad like the face. 

4 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

So - they decided to gloss over the teats on the losers' Alpha? We found that to be an... unfortunate design choice.

Overall, not an auspicious start to the season - "werewolves" always seems like a tough theme for some reason anyway, and throwing it out first didn't help any here. Even the "good" looks had pretty major flaws.

Best of luck to the Twisted Six Five going forward.

Yes, the six breasts were super weird. I guess that was due to the "genetic modification", except that had no place in this challenge. 

The Twisted Six tempted date by putting a number in their name.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Those had to be some of the worst makeups I have ever seen on this show.  All of them.  None of the losing team makeups even looked like wolves to me.  They looked like a cat, the Mad Hatter, and something I (and Neville) can't figure out what the hell it was.  I don't think the winning team was much better.  Most of them looked like people wearing masks.

This does not portend a good season.

Not just me then? I agree with all of this. I was in a bad (hypercritical) mood while watching and I thought all of the makeup was terrible. The losing team made weird smooth faced not wolf creatures...the winning team made wolves at least but they looked like something that would be in the bottom on another season. I truly hope this is not a sign of the season to come. 

• Love 11

Really surprised this show is back so soon. What happened to them doing only one season per year so they could have better quality contestants?

I only ended up half-watching this episode. Sometimes it seems like watching Face Off: Kids Edition since it's a lot of people fresh out of school. Maybe they could bring former contestants like Tyler or Laura back as team mentors or something. 

At least the black wolves weren't too bad?

• Love 3

Well, that was terrible. Everyone of those makeups was awful. The judges were clearly on crack. The worst rib cage was the one on the black dude, where it was clearly just a giant rib cage parked on top of another rib cage. The wrong rib cage went home. No one questioned the one "Foreman" on why he spent all his time on six boobs. That's what I'm going to call him from now on. Six Boobs. Like Two Chains, but an even worse idea. The beta dude on the white team looked like a dopey linx. The omega dude just looked dopey. The black team looked like they made Star Trek silica monsters. The spines - as said, no one ever makes a movie about vertebra. Just sad, sad, stuff.

And apparently we're going to get lots of Reality Show "Drama" this season. So we have that to look forward to.

• Love 8

Face Off "Divide and Conquer"?  What next, some sort of Face Off Singles where they look for love as well?

I agree with all of the above.  The make-ups were terrible.  At least one team was smart and chose the darker wolf.  That way you could hide/minimize a variety of flaws with the paint job.  But choosing the white wolf when you had the lighter grey as an option?  Stupid.  

As someone said up top, even the winning look would have been in the bottom on a different season.  Maybe I was spoiled by seeing just what the all-stars could accomplish, but this season has not started off well.  

To make things worse, one of each team has to been the "foreman".  For the one team, they have one guy with experience managing a team, but he can't run thing every week.  Not fair to him.  As for the other team, other than that one guy with decades of experience with make up (but clearly not running teams), who else can they put in charge?  And it isn't fair to that one supervisor if his or her team sucks.  Or even if their own make up work is sub-par because they have to spend a ton of time managing the others.

• Love 4

On other competition shows, the team captain/shop foreman can be the one eliminated if the team does poorly.  So I suspect to see that happen at some point down the line.  And as for drama, feh.  That was always what made this show stand apart from others, the lack thereof.  I hope the drama they foreshadowed ends up just being a reality show tease.

• Love 5

I'll pile on with all the others who thought that sucked. And as for the elimination, it wasn't the poor chest thing that made that look suck so badly - it was the head/face. It looked absolutely nothing like a wolf or anything else other than maybe a cartoon puppy. How they decided to send chest-girl home instead of stupid-face guy is a mystery.

Sad to see a show that I used to like devolve into this crud. Then again, the last few seasons have all been pretty poor. This might be yet another show destined for the "used to watch" category.

• Love 5

Trying to come up with a positive rethink this morning.  Not easy.  Lemons to lemonade isn't going to happen.  But.

When the talent enhanced by experience and time isn't there, take a different path.

Next time this level of talent is available, start with face painting.  No prosthetics.  

2nd episode add small prosthetics  that are there and already available.  (They used these before in a challenge that required their use in unconventional ways).

3rd episode  full face

4th face plus arms

By this time, there may have been multiple eliminations, and the newbies will have some better feel for working with time constraints.

Yes, I know that they should have come into the competition having done this on their own, but most apparently haven't so we will live with what casting has dumped on us.

It might be less off-putting that watching mayhem of the non-Allstate persuasion.

(Not that creating a Mayhem character wouldn't be a hoot!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

On other competition shows, the team captain/shop foreman can be the one eliminated if the team does poorly.  So I suspect to see that happen at some point down the line.  And as for drama, feh.  That was always what made this show stand apart from others, the lack thereof.  I hope the drama they foreshadowed ends up just being a reality show tease.

Team Foreman Six Boobs really should have gone home. His dumb boobs were ok, actually, but his lack of leadership was egregious. Someone should have been making sure that everyone was working from the same design book and that someone is the foreman. Chest girl was the least of their problems.

Edited by Merneith
  • Love 7

I've seen better looks in amateur haunted houses. They definitely should have waited a year not just to find better talent, but also so that the all-star season isn't still fresh in our minds, raising the bar that much higher.  They should've made it a double-elimination and sent both contestants responsible for that were-panda home.

• Love 12

Well, I had a dream. My dream was to be the oldest contestant ever on Face Off and that dream died last night as Twisted Six Boobs Al is 5 years my senior. ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!! I tell you what though, EVERY one of his teams creations sucked. They looked so bland they were like cartoons. It was embarrassing! And those titties!!!! Who does that?? How can people watched season after season and still come on this show and decide to put SO MUCH effort into....the back? That should be the very last thing to consider. I mean like, you've got all your pieces painted already by day 2, THEN you tackle something like a back piece or feet or whatever or stupid chest pieces that should just be covered is hair or even just a torn shirt for crying out loud.

I feel like the season is a bit of a "bait and switch" in that I thought it was going to be two ACTUAL makeup effects studios! This is lame. PLUS, the country right now is tearing itself apart with "divide and conquer", I resent that one of my favorite shows has chosen that as the theme this season. Ugh. All the way around, UGH!

• Love 4
(edited)

Were the teams required to stick to the one color of their chosen wolf? No one seemed to tried to change up the palette even a little among the three makeups. The white wolf team's flat, untextured, unshaded paint jobs were pitiful.

The only thing kindly Ve found to praise was that simple mottling effect on one wolf on the gray team.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:45 AM, Merneith said:

No one questioned the one "Foreman" on why he spent all his time on six boobs.

I would have questioned why he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt the size of a tent.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 5

Team Foreman Six Boobs really should have gone home. His dumb boobs were ok, actually, but his lack of leadership was egregious. Someone should have been making sure that everyone was working from the same design book and that someone is the foreman. Chest girl was the least of their problems.

Glen read him the riot act.  I don't expect anyone to make that mistake again, but you never know.  I was rooting for him, since he's my age, until he never once comforted or said anything to the woman who was eliminated from his team.  That's just a poor team player, let alone a poor foreman. 

• Love 6

Werewolves are not what I would choose for the first challenge, because their face shape, with the muzzle and ears, makes it likely the result will be mask-like, and, almost more importantly, werewolves have been done so often that its almost impossible to find an innovative look.  That being said, all of the makeups were less than breathtaking, even the winner.  Pretty ugly, all around., although the black wolves were noticeably better than the white.

I am not thrilled with the set up for this season, with the us v. them shops, and the "foreperson" being in charge and held responsible for failure, but rarely getting credit for success.  Reminds me too much of the Apprentice and similar shows where its all about the shit talking, blame shifting and fake drama.  I watch Face Off for the process, and enjoyable camaraderie of the contestants, not this under the bus throwing shit.  I am not feeling optimistic about the changes, or the level of talent this season.  Hope they can pull it out asap.

• Love 6

Ouch. That first week was... mediocre would be kind. And i'm not sure I like that shop set up either, it's way too random every step of the way, and it can only lead to forced drama. It doesn't bode too well for the rest of the season.

• Love 2

Ooof. That wasn't good. And that team-thing worries me; every other reality show I've watched with teams has eliminated a team member from the winning team next time to keep the numbers even - often eliminating a better artist in the proces. Also, how did Face Off chose the teams? Surely the disparity between the teams can't all be on account of Foreman Six's bad leader skills.

I watch Face Off for great make-ups, the lovable judges and the camaraderie between the contestants. The promos seems to say I'm only gonna get my judges, which makes me nervous...

• Love 9

Well.  I was worried about how bad things were to the point I forgot them, but I have ya'll to shore me up!  Yeah.  Was SO excited for this new season and within twenty minutes I was all set.  I see some of my fellow Ink Master commenters on here, so we all TRULY had a shitty night.  Yo, Tuesdays, get better!  Sigh.  I don't know.  I'm beyond not thrilled with this episode, and it doesn't give me hope for the future. I wouldn't know one of these fools if I ran them over.  I'm unconvinced about the talent level and I'm REALLY not loving the shops/teams/drama thing.  I've seen some of this stuff at my kids' school plays. 

10 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Lemons to lemonade isn't going to happen.  But.

May I offer you some vodka to make it easier?

• Love 5

I knew Laura was the one going home right from her first interview on day one of the lab work. That's in addition to the two or three times (I can't remember exactly now) that I knew last season from interviews who had been eliminated. This is after 10 seasons of me not ever being tipped off. That makes me wonder if Face Off changed the number of times they do interviews with the contestants. That is, maybe they previously did one set of interviews after the first day or two of lab work, and then a second set of interviews post-elimination, and now the show is doing just one set of interviews, post-elimination.

I was not happy to learn that another season would be starting so soon after the All-Stars season - they had had a chance to give the newbie talent pool almost two years to replenish, but by starting this new  season almost right away, they threw away that opportunity. And unfortunately that was born out tonight. I suspect the real reason for this two-group structure is because they knew the talent is so lacking, and they hoped by having people work in large groups where they can pool what skills they have, they might turn out decent products in the early weeks (and then the producers hope that enough people get comfortable/learn enough through the challenges that their work gets elevated more in the later weeks).

McKenzie made a comment when having the real wolves brought out that nobody would be able to say they weren't creatively inspired - I took that as a shot at Ben and his teammate last season, who complained regularly about not being inspired. I can only imagine how much moping they did every challenge that we weren't shown; the producers must've been sick of them.

The weekly rotating project managers are unfortunately going to introduce a strategic scheming aspect into this competition. That's a shame. And it's impossible to avoid; contestants will think about when it's opportune for them to volunteer to be PM. The smart ones will generally wait until later in the season when the weakest contestants have been eliminated, because as anyone who watched Apprentice knows, the losing PM is always one of the ones on the hot seat because there's always that consideration of, "If you had been a better PM, your team would have won."

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

The weekly rotating project managers are unfortunately going to introduce a strategic scheming aspect into this competition. 

Yes, this.  Less showcasing of talent, more reality show stuff.  FO doesn't need to go the gimmick route.  Neither did any of the other shows I watch but clearly, I'm one of those older demos who they don't need to refresh.  I had hope after so long had gone by that there would be a total reboot or whatever with the contestants, and nope.  Maybe it'll get better as it goes......

• Love 3

Guys, everything about this episode was so bad, I'm almost freaked out.

*curled up in the corner rocking back and forth and muttering "puppet ballerina, puppet ballerina, puppet ballerina"*

f64a6e16907902764bec9fb8b0751549.jpg

• Love 12
1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

Yes, this.  Less showcasing of talent, more reality show stuff.  FO doesn't need to go the gimmick route.

You know, the way you put that made me think.

It might be that FO has concluded that it needs to go the gimmick route because they have exhausted the pool of truly talented new contestants. The contestants were so good in the earlier seasons and now, outside the All-Stars seasons, they're just...not. Look at the end results of this challenge - someone said upthread that the best one in this challenge could easily have been the worst one in a previous season. And so with the talent so lacking, so unable to carry the show as in seasons past, the show is resorting to gimmicks instead.

In other words, to rephrase what you said, FO didn't need to go the gimmick route. It had talent to showcase. But that was then, and this is now. It seems the talent pool has been largely exhausted after having had so many seasons in such a short time. Not that a gimmick-driven FO appeals to me at all, mind you. But if it is the lack of talent that is the reason for the decision, I can understand it. It's not like a non-gimmicky but talent-free FO appeals to me either. I would prefer a showcasing of talent, but there has to be talent to showcase. But they can't just only do All-Stars seasons...it's a dilemma. Maybe the show needs to just be allowed to die.

• Love 6

I'll keep watching until there's something better on.  And given the 2016-2017 season for comparison, something better is getting a lot harder to come by.  I will admit to wearing out the fast forward button on one of my remotes in midMarch.

• Love 3

Those were awful! Since when do werewolves mean rib cages and spines sticking out and practically no fur? I was so hoping one of the judges would say something about the multiple boobs but nothing! The guy who created the bizarre round-eared, dopey faced head should have gone home.

• Love 6

They were thrown into the deep end with a werewolf challenge on day one.  Like someone said, the wolf face is one of the hardest to do because of how different human and wolf faces are.  Unfortunately the results were mediocre at best.  None of them were really good, although I will admit that the omega (it feels like they used the PUA terms) on Team Ethereal looked the best.

Team Ethereal had a better time of it, and Andrew did a better job as foreman.  The alpha was too mask-like, with the bared teeth it looked like a Halloween mask.  The beta looked like a rat or maybe a hyena.

As for foreman six boobs, he should have gone home.  You put the girl who never made a chest piece on that job, and didn't bother to check up on her.  All the while he spends all his time making the six boobs chest piece (a look that does not work on human females).  Then with the clothes she was wearing, it just made her look paunchy.

I really hope they don't go the drama route, but I wonder if they can vote the same person in as foreman multiples times.

• Love 5

The alpha was too mask-like, with the bared teeth it looked like a Halloween mask.

Keep in mind that Andrew, the guy who was the foreman of the shop, runs his own mask-making shop.  I expect to see many more mask-like looks from him this season.

• Love 2

Aaand we're back so soon, eh? Alrighty then. I kind of wish this show would give itself (and the audience) a chance to breathe a bit and stick to one season per year.

Honestly, the most convincing, werewolf-esque look on that stage was Glenn. Seriously, at this point his hair should've won about half a dozen challenges over the years. (I do so enjoy making fun of his hair, but since we learned he's a cat lover I've really come around to him). Nice to see Ve again - she's always so happy.

Beyond that, I agree with most of the points everyone's already brought up:

• Not sure about the whole divided into two teams thing - I understand they shake up their format slightly every season, but this seems like a big departure from the normal Face Off adventure. Time will tell, but I'm giving it the side-eye for now.
  • Foreman Six Boobs should've gone home - yes, Laura(?) clearly had no idea what to do, but it's not like she chose a chest piece knowing she wasn't really qualified to do it. That was all on him. And not to mention he kept her on it even when it was apparent that the makeup wasn't going to work and she was ill-suited for the job.
  • The omega (WTF kind of terminology is that for werewolves, anyway?!) on Team Grey Wolves looked the best - what I specifically liked was the bone structure of the brow and eye socket, which IMO did the best job of translating wolf features to a human face.
  • Every other makeup made the faces far too wide, so from a distance their heads looked square. Not a good look.
  • And really, why throw a toughie like werewolves out on the first challenge? Even super talented artists we've seen in the past have had a tough time pulling off elongated snout type makeups such as a werewolf.
  • Hopefully the Drama in the previews is due to promo monkeys and not actually reflective of what we're going to get this season.

So showing an actual human breast and nipple is a Standards & Practices no-no, but showing a bare foam latex breast nipple is A-OK. Good to know. I found it telling that we weren't shown any comments/critiques on the boob-piece from either Michael Westmore or the judges.

Did we get a preview for the actual challenge next week and I missed it? Or was it just the generic preview for the whole season? I can't even remember, so if we saw it I guess it didn't make much of an impression.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Honestly, the most convincing, werewolf-esque look on that stage was Glenn. Seriously, at this point his hair should've won about half a dozen challenges over the years. (I do so enjoy making fun of his hair, but since we learned he's a cat lover I've really come around to him). Nice to see Ve again - she's always so happy.

Ha ha, so true about Glenn. 

• Love 7

I like the idea of the team concept, as I understand it, that's a lot closer to how makeups are done on a real project. But the execution is hugely flawed with the weekly eliminations. It sets up for uneven teams that continue to get more and more uneven. I would have liked them to have teams maybe with a public team score and a secret individual score. After a few challenges drop the bottom few and even the teams up or something. But this way just isn't going to work. 

I also agree that the werewolves was not a great way to start being too complex for a first try in the time and format constraints. Animal-human hybrids probably work better once they've done the Face Off format a few times. 

But it's always great to see the judges back. This is the most competent, constructive panel on any competition show.

• Love 2

Um.  I guess they aren't Previously fans, or they'd hear from us, too.  I need to go here.  I really, really do.  That is the most positive spin to put on an overall negative (or negatively received) epi I've seen.  Speaking of which (kinda) I don't care for the new front page of PTV.  I miss the featured snarky quotes. 

And I agree that werewolves was way too advanced for this crew right off the bat ( see what I did there?).  Maybe that's next week..............

20 hours ago, Black Knight said:

You know, the way you put that made me think.

I'm just going to reference this instead of the whole comment, but I did find it all very well thought out.  And I do agree on points made.  A few seasons ago (I think Nora's or Rob's) there was some discussion that downgrading (or "dumbing down") the challenges to meet the level of talent that was being cast might be in order.  I don't recall what I said then or who on here participated in the talk, but I'll take that any day over a gimmick.  I think part of the reason I'm twitchy is I really don't want to be watching two shows at the same time featuring rival shops. 

• Love 1

I do feel like splitting them into teams has taken away the sense of camaraderie. It automatically creates an Us vs Them mentality as well as the understanding that if your team loses you better have someone to point to as a weak link.

I loved the all star season so very, very much that I am going to assume at least some of my disappointment in this episode was that it wasn't up to last seasons extremely high bar. But I am not terribly optimistic about this crop of contestants. I don't see the skill level I saw last season or the level of creativity the show normally has (and that could be a product of the team concept. Because in a team you have to compromise and can't really show the extent of what you can do).

I did like the pairs concept from the all star season because I feel like two people bouncing ideas off each other, if they are a compatible pair like a Tyler and Emily or a Cig and George, can create magic but the bigger the group the less we will see what these people are really capable of and the more we will see people trying to decide how to make something cohesive. It waters down some already pretty weak talent.

• Love 6

I'm a bit worried because there was nobody I found immediately likable, but several people that I found immediately unlikable, starting with the Tommy Bahama shop foreman (Rob?).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

The omega (WTF kind of terminology is that for werewolves, anyway?!) on Team Grey Wolves looked the best - what I specifically liked was the bone structure of the brow and eye socket, which IMO did the best job of translating wolf features to a human face.

My problem with the grey omega is the fricken' Lil' Abner costume they dressed him in. I couldn't see past that ridiculous getup to look much at the makeup.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, Black Knight said:

Maybe the show needs to just be allowed to die.

I agree. They seem to want to escalate each season: "This season, we're doing X, which we have never. done. before!" As if we wouldn't watch it if it were just the same show of interesting challenges and fun creative people having fun together. I'm not there for the escalation. If they've exhausted the existing talent pool of people with sufficient experience and training, why not wrap up what's been a very good run.

I've got to say that I hate werewolf makeup, and I've never seen a werewolf makeup that I felt worked, even in tv/movies. Superimposing lupine anatomy onto a human frame doesn't make sense to me. So I'm always disappointed when F/O does werewolf challenges. Making it the first challenge is just kind of mean.

When they announced the "shop" concept, was anyone else worried for a second that they were going to have the losing "shop" choose the team member to be sent home?

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Midnight Sun said:

I'm not very optimistic about Face Off's "growing pains" reply - what the hell are they trying to say?  We all have growing pains - doesn't mean we have to act like jerkwads.  Damn it, don't ruin this show for me, people!

I think what they really meant was:  "We've already filmed the series so we have to try to convince the audience (and ourselves) that it was a good idea"

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Reishe said:

When they announced the "shop" concept, was anyone else worried for a second that they were going to have the losing "shop" choose the team member to be sent home?

Actually, this didn't occur to me, maybe because I'm used to this being a "nice" show (the only others I can think of are The Great British Bake Off and Masterchef Australia).  But thank god they didn't!