Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Remember the Alamo

• Start Topic

Clare's suit is awful. I think the hair is better but still not good. It seems like they are legitimately trying to make Clare unattractive, once they realized that Kathleen Robertson might actually be quite a bit prettier than a couple other people. Ahem. Looking back, wouldn't it have been fun to have a Val/Clare spin-off where they could be smart and snarky and bitchy together, while prowling the clubs of Los Angeles?

As an aside - do you think they did that aggressively wide collar spread on Priestley to try and minimize the shelfiness of his hair? It didn't work.

Did they deliberately give Jason Preistly a suit that was two sizes too big for him?  Seriously, someone must have been screwing with him there.

Joe E. Tata finally makes the opening credits!

I give you two credit for continuing to watch, comment and visual cap.  The show does NOT get any better from here.

• Love 1

I also think Clare's dress is super cute. And it seems out of character compared to the clothes she normally wears, which usually represent the absolute worst of 90's fashion.

Hi, librarian! Sorry no one told the writers when they created you that librarians are actually guardians of civil rights and progressive ideas!

Maybe the writers used to work for the Parks department and think that librarians are all punk-ass book jockeys.

• Love 1

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but how old is Joan, and how in the world is she pregnant? I mean, she looks as if she is pushing 60.

I wonder the same thing. I wondered when this first aired! She does not look younger than 50.

• Love 1

It seems like they are legitimately trying to make Clare unattractive, once they realized that Kathleen Robertson might actually be quite a bit prettier than a couple other people. Ahem.

Nah, I think the stylists just legitimately tried to follow the trends of the day for all the ladies on the show as much as they could, and almost none of the looks from this era have aged well. I mean, exhibit A: Any hairstyle Donna has had for the last 2 years or so...

I like the color on Claire, but the style of the hair is just...no. I do think she did look cute in the scenes where she meets Steve at the airport, though.

The 90210 costume department are a nice demonstration of why it's best not to follow the hot trends.  If they had made the hair, makeup and clothes suit each actor while staying consistent with their characters, then everyone would have looked better.  But, instead, they chose to follow the mid/late 90s trends of the day which suited none of them and even made them all seem less attractive than they actually were.

• Love 1

Eliza Jane!!!! I love it when I see Lucy Lee Flippin in any role where she has to glare at someone and act like she has a giant stick up her butt. Nothing against the actress - she seems to be a lovely person in interviews - but she seriously does the best RBF and throws the best uptight shade of any actress ever. And, come on, she's throwing the shade at Brandon. Who could blame her for that?

• Love 1

Ugh, that look on Brandon's face when he kisses the girl... like he's about to give her the biggest gift she could ever wish for. Seriously punchable.
I forgot that Kenny crap starts this early. Val...(I know why but still) goes after the worst guys.

• Love 2

I wonder the same thing. I wondered when this first aired! She does not look younger than 50.

I looked it up.  The actress, Julie Parrish, was 56 at the time these episodes were being filmed.  It's theoretically possible she could become pregnant, but it's an odd choice for a storyline.  I think Joan mentioned the season previously she was already a grandmother. 

• Love 1

We're really in the dregs now. I think Seasons 7 and 8 were as horrible as it got, and then it kind of picked back up a little in 9 and 10 after Priestley left and Perry returned. Well, except for horrible Noah. I'm dreading horrible Noah.

Great job on this one, 90210, managing to insult both people of color AND Texans all in one pointless subplot.

• Love 1

Ugh, Brandon's stupid sunglasses in the front pocket of his jeans when he runs after Mariah. I wish they fell out and got smashed.
What about Steve's DENIM jorts in the airport? Plus tank top under button down. The nineties-ist we've ever seen him look for sure.
I never understood the pantsuit look on these shows, I feel it's pretty common. Maybe I was out of touch with fashion, but I bought my first pantsuit when I graduated college in '99 for job interviews. I would never imagine wearing them as an everyday casual outfit. Especially not a puke green one with tube top.

• Love 2
(edited)

The only one of the cast (male or female) who should be seen wearing a suit occasionally is probably Val, since she was a business major. She'd probably have to make mock business presentations and case studies for some of her classes, so if anyone should be seen wearing a suit, it should be her.

The other characters should be seen wearing suits on very rare occasions, like if they had an internship while classes were in session (very rare but it sometimes happens) or if there was an on-campus job fair during each semester (which, at a big school like CU, wouldn't be unheard of). Of course, in those situations, you'd think the characters would exposit that during bits of dialogue...

Edited by BBHN

About 5 seconds into that Bad Cow clip, I started saying "Make it stop, make it stop, please make it stop ..." What the hell even is the "concept" for this video? Half-breed descendants of "Let's Make a Deal" zonk prizes mate at the beach? Why do they even need Taz on the set? His face is not visible! Just use some poor PA. Or better yet, David can don the mask and show off some of his patented dance moves.

I can't even with Brandon and his stupid kiss. Were we supposed to applaud how brave he was to plant one on her right before he drove out of town and left her to deal with any fallout? A-hole.

• Love 5

I found a YouTube interview with Joe E Tata where the interviewer pronounces it to rhyme with "frittata" or "lotta" (but the interviewer sounded like kind of a dolt, so who knows ... but Joe E didn't correct him, so that's probably it.)

I never really thought much of Steve at the time but he did have a nice body, a good smile and is one of the few who isn't taking themselves soooo seriously. 

Tiffani Thiessen is so beautiful -- but the tanner they're using is giving her some kind of greenish tone to her skin which is just made worse by the piss-tachio color. She's almost unrecognizable in a strange way.

Kathleen Robertson, also gorgeous -- hair color suits her -- toned down from the crazy highlight/lowlight situation.

As far as Priestley's hair in the credits, well...

rabbit pancake.jpg

• Love 4

I looked it up.  The actress, Julie Parrish, was 56 at the time these episodes were being filmed.  It's theoretically possible she could become pregnant, but it's an odd choice for a storyline.  I think Joan mentioned the season previously she was already a grandmother. 

I thought Joan had said she was a grandmother too.

About 10 years ago, a 56 year old woman I worked with had twins with a 5 year old already. She carried as close to full term as twins go and delivered without needing a c-section. While it had people gossiping for quite some time, it was never interesting enough we thought it should be a Z level plot for a 5th string secondary character on a show about college kids.

• Love 3

About 10 years ago, a 56 year old woman I worked with had twins with a 5 year old already. She carried as close to full term as twins go and delivered without needing a c-section. While it had people gossiping for quite some time, it was never interesting enough we thought it should be a Z level plot for a 5th string secondary character on a show about college kids.

That just seems crazy to me.   I can't imagine what parent would want to be 74 years old at the time of their kid's high school graduation, much less be in their 60s with a first grader.  And yeah, it's a strange and mostly boring plot idea for those particular characters. 

• Love 1
On 6/5/2017 at 4:28 AM, Michaels TV Tray said:

The disapproving librarian is played by the actress who plays Eliza Jane Wilder on Little House on the Prairie, another prim character. It's like she got lost and wandered over from the Little House podcast.

Last week Flashdance was ending on Sundance just before the Law & Order block started and that broad was one of the judges at the audition at the end!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, profreader said:

The link to Visual Aids loops back to here (at least for me.) A hundred episodes to go ... man, do I feel for you both! (but still want to hear what you have to say -- it's so delicious.)

I fixed it.

• Love 1
  On 6/5/2017 at 10:45 AM, txhorns79 said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but how old is Joan, and how in the world is she pregnant? I mean, she looks as if she is pushing 60.

And sadly, according to IMDB, the actress died in 2003 at age 62.

Also, how could our hosts (and producer) hear the "Don't be ..Don't be ..Don't be" refrain of Bad Cow's "song" and not interject with " ...such a squeef!" I was waiting for it and was floored that it never happened.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ian Ziering really does seem to be enjoying himself in those visual aids.  He's really the only character I find likable anymore.  

It makes no sense for Joe E. Tata to be in the opening credits just like it makes no sense for Nat to be a character in this show at all.  By this point it's a straight up soap opera about young adults/college kids.  He should have been jettisoned from the show when they got rid of Jim and Cindy.  Or at least kept as a recurring guest star like Rush or Jackie or the Martins.  He should not be having plot lines or showing up at parties with his pregnant wife.  Did the writers/producers really think the audience was clamoring for more Nat?

Edited to add...Why do Nat and Joan even want to hang out with the gang?  I'm nearing 40 and the idea of hanging out with college kids sounds horrible to me.  Do they not have any friends their own age?  Also, Joan's going to give birth in a few episodes so she must be 7 or 8 months pregnant.  Shouldn't she want to stay at home and nest instead of dancing at a music video wrap party for some seventh rate grunge band?

Edited by lefawn
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2017 at 3:37 PM, profreader said:

I found a YouTube interview with Joe E Tata where the interviewer pronounces it to rhyme with "frittata" or "lotta" (but the interviewer sounded like kind of a dolt, so who knows ... but Joe E didn't correct him, so that's probably it.)

Joe E. Tata pronounces it this way (rhyming with frittata) in his cameo in the prostate cancer PSA in Grosse Pointe.

We beat this topic to death in another AWT thread. The consensus was that the pronunciation was "tay-tuh" (I think). I've always said "tottah". Now I'm confused again and mad that this topic has been revived.

• Love 1