Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Bridge

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Charlotte in this case becomes a status

This struck me the other night as well... that for all the talk about children are miracles and blessed and treasured - they are likely every bit a commodity than anything else. Seems like they are wanted because they are scarce, not because they are actually treasured. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, NoSpam said:

I thought the same thing about the music box being a possible way for Offred to kill herself. Was SJ just trying to butter up Offred? 

I chalked it up to the same nonsensical changes from the book we've seen in other episodes. Why change and add plot items if it's not going to make sense? 

We haven't seen the music box since that episode, have we? It's like it was dropped in and left hanging. I wonder if it will really have a purpose. 

I think the music box was just supposed to be a clever metaphor.  Here Serena was trying to do something nice and what does she choose?  A girl in a box performing, for her girl in a box performing, both silent until they're beckoned.

3 hours ago, Becks said:

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, bitches" made me cringe. I was just - REALLY, show? I too get they were trying for, but the moment was so unearned and so out of sync with the reality of the women's lives on the show that it just came across as an incredibly cheap and transparent move. Who is letting crap like that out of the writers' room?

I'm not a huge fan of using woman casually calling each other "bitches" as a sign of solidarity and resistance. 

5 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum, bitches" made me cringe.

5 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm not a huge fan of using woman casually calling each other "bitches" as a sign of solidarity and resistance. 

My impression was that she was referring to TPTB as bitches.  Like she was basically saying fuck the system.  

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

My impression was that she was referring to TPTB as bitches.  Like she was basically saying fuck the system.  

Oh good.  I don't actually remember the reference in that ep but I'm sure you're right.  In this one, it seemed like Moira was calling June "bitch" as a term of sisterly endearment or to be funny.  I just don't relate or find it cute or sassy or whatever they're going for.  It doesn't make my skin crawl but it lowers the writing quality, for me.  

11 hours ago, Umbelina said:

As for as the later half of your questions, you've seen that they are converting everything to symbols on the show.  A drawing of a fish means fish, etc. for shopping.  The signs in the train station were being removed and some kind of pictures were going to go up.  They (the men who did all of this) deplore modern tech, which is why Martha's have to spend long hours doing everything the old way, including making bread via hand kneading.  They probably all hand wash dishes as well, possibly even clothing.  Any work that has to be done by women?  It doesn't matter how hard it is, or how much longer it takes, that's they way they must do it.

Thanks Umbelina, and for the tip to go to the Book Questions thread.  I'm a little afraid of the answers!  Also, I had forgotten TPTB were replacing all the English language signs with symbols.  So goddamned creepy.

The plot has stopped making sense (Mexico wants handmaids and Gilead is willing to trade them? Give me a break.

I've seen several complaints about this, but the show did explain it.  In the same episode as the visit from the Mexican delegation, Commander Waterford is shown telling his wife that Gilead is short on resources and its currency is plunging, and so they desperately need to trade with Mexico or the whole new country will go under.  They're so desperate they'll trade Handmaids.  And remember it's not like we are seeing all the Handmaids in Gilead.  We're seeing a certain group in a certain small region of the country.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, EC Amber said:

Total fanwank here, but this really seems like the only plausible explanation. 

The teachers follow the students. One Aunt per graduating class. And so Aunt Lydia went through the Red Center with her class - and now she manages them, much like an agent, or an okā-san or a pimp. Mostly the latter. 

This is a believable change for me too EC Amber. It would make sense for each cohort graduating from the Red Center to have a den mother who becomes their caseworker once they are handmaids out in the field. 

• Love 3

Was not a fan of this episode. I don't feel the need to flesh out all the characters the way they have been. Did not like the off-book Mayday mission. Only one episode left and I do not like where I think season two is going to go with more storylines not in the book. I have been mostly pleased until now and now I am just...not.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, NoSpam said:

I agree with this. She changed into the uniform and put on the hat. Getting rid of the fake lashes and makeup would make her fit the costume.

Yes, but presumably there wasn't a single other guard around to notice her dark lipstick and false eyelashes as she walked clean out of the building and got into a car and drove away.  No gates being watched, nothing.  So she just kept her make up perfect and pranced out.

!

Also, anyone on this show can wear shoes belonging to anyone, no problem.  Serena Joy's fit June.  The dead guys fit Moira, and that outfit is flattering on her as well, seems to fit like it was made for her.  How lucky.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, EyesGlazed said:

I've seen several complaints about this, but the show did explain it.  In the same episode as the visit from the Mexican delegation, Commander Waterford is shown telling his wife that Gilead is short on resources and its currency is plunging, and so they desperately need to trade with Mexico or the whole new country will go under.  They're so desperate they'll trade Handmaids.  And remember it's not like we are seeing all the Handmaids in Gilead.  We're seeing a certain group in a certain small region of the country.

Yes I remember the explanation. I thought it made no sense. A currency crisis isn't fixed by trade. And making other countries willing to take uterii breaks the view that there's normalcy outside Gilead.

I'm sorry for such a short reply but I don't have much to say that I haven't already said. I think I'll be bailing on the show after Weds.

1 minute ago, Umbelina said:

Also, anyone on this show can wear shoes belonging to anyone, no problem.  Serena Joy's fit June.  The dead guys fit Moira, and that outfit is flattering on her as well, seems to fit like it was made for her.  How lucky.

Just a few issues I've had with the costumes. For another, the Handmaids costume is too sexy. Nice and form fitting to the boobies.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, NoSpam said:

Yes I remember the explanation. I thought it made no sense. A currency crisis isn't fixed by trade. 

The writers seem to be missing even the vaguest sense of how international finance works as in an earlier episode Serena said that the EU would have to deal with Gilead if they didn't want the Euro to collapse. That made no sense then but in the context of Gilead needing to trade with Mexico to avoid their own currency collapsing it's even more nonsensical. Especially when local Gileadean currency appears to be ration tokens. What are they trading on the international currency markets? Just imagine the BBC financial news, "Sterling is up today with one pound worth two paper rectangles with a picture of a chicken on them. Meanwhile news that a baby was born in Latvia broke this morning giving the Euro a boost that has put to bed any fear it would collapse. As of this evening the Euro is trading at one Euro to a paper rectangle with a bottle of milk on it and another for a half dozen eggs. If Mexico starts buying food and Handmaids from Gilead however, little paper rectangles with pictures of foodstuffs are predicted to become a lot more expensive on the ForEx markets."

• Love 21
(edited)

I think the men still have money, but the whole thing was poorly explained on the show.  The women aren't allowed to have money so they carry pictures, but eventually I think the man pays the bills that come in.  How though?  Still the dollar?

The Mexico thing made no sense for several reasons, but I always felt the entire world was boycotting Gilead, so trade of all kinds was cut off.  Actually, I think the whole thing was an elaborate ploy so June could learn Luke was still alive.  I doubt we would have ever heard a single thing more about it.  We MAY now, because they got a second season.  Does anyone really think the finale will contain a scene of handmaid's leaving for Mexico, or even a short conversation between Fred and someone else "The first group left for Mexico today." 

I don't.  It was just an elaborate way to get Luke back in the story.

34 minutes ago, AllyB said:

The writers seem to be missing even the vaguest sense of how international finance works as in an earlier episode Serena said that the EU would have to deal with Gilead if they didn't want the Euro to collapse. That made no sense then but in the context of Gilead needing to trade with Mexico to avoid their own currency collapsing it's even more nonsensical. Especially when local Gileadean currency appears to be ration tokens. What are they trading on the international currency markets? Just imagine the BBC financial news, "Sterling is up today with one pound worth two paper rectangles with a picture of a chicken on them. Meanwhile news that a baby was born in Latvia broke this morning giving the Euro a boost that has put to bed any fear it would collapse. As of this evening the Euro is trading at one Euro to a paper rectangle with a bottle of milk on it and another for a half dozen eggs. If Mexico starts buying food and Handmaids from Gilead however, little paper rectangles with pictures of foodstuffs are predicted to become a lot more expensive on the ForEx markets."

Great points though.  International finance is not in my bailiwick.  Ha.  You've made me wonder though, what value would the dollar even have on the world market now?  Does anyone even still use it?  Alaska and Hawaii, the new USA, could have converted to Euros or maybe the dollar is still used there, but again?  How? 

I supposed the new rulers of Gilead could have easily seized all the gold in the country, and gold would remain valuable.

Anyway, that's above my capabilities.  I just know I felt like they still had money (useless though?) but manufacturing, tourism, certainly medical discovery and production of everything from equipment to medicines would have taken a huge hit in a place that wants to go back to the "traditional values as ways" of perhaps the 1700s?  They are, apparently trying to control pollution, which means no factories pouring more waste into the environment, so where are they getting their electricity?  I am pretty sure I've seen fires in those fireplaces, so chopping and burning wood must not be forbidden.  They are anti nuclear power, and polluting fossil fuels, and they can't trade with anyone in the world, so that would prevent buying oil from some other dirty place.

Got it!

THAT is why it's so damn dark there! 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 8
(edited)

On the way to Jezebels the first time, Fred did say something to June about some new development the had recently built entirely powered by solar power. Though how they are actually making the solar panels and batteries I don't know. The lack of solar panels on all the Commanders' beautiful mansions must mean that Tesla's Solar Roof technology exists. Or maybe Musk escaped to Mexico before Gilead rose, taking his super roof tiles with him, and that's what Fred wants to trade Handmaids for. It would be worth letting go of a clutch of working ovaries and wombs if it meant getting clean energy without having to ruin the aesthetic of your handsome period house.

Just you wait, maybe we will hear Fred mention trading a bunch of 'girls' at the end of the finale and next season, the Waterford house will be lit up like a Christmas tree. 

Edited by AllyB
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, AllyB said:

HAHAHAH!  Brilliant!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Speaking of the bottle of milk tokens, when they were shopping there we different labels on the milk.  I add to assume the designated the fat % of each type, but how in hell is "blue" supposed to mean 2% or whatever?  I guess the women aren't allowed to know simple numbers either?  It was bizarre.

I can't find a photo of the milk, but I know I saw it in some review.  In the dairy case were bottles of milk with different colored labels.  Since Martha's aren't allowed to read either, and the token just had the drawing without color (I think) then WTF?

IIRC, the milk bottles did have the fat percentage numbers on them. Apparently Handmaids were still allowed to do basic arithmetic.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

IIRC, the milk bottles did have the fat percentage numbers on them. Apparently Handmaids were still allowed to do basic arithmetic.

Don't think so.  I moved the comment to episode one.  I looked for that % number.  13:52 first episode.  Just blue cows, or green ones (whatever.)

Oh and Janine's baby daddy may have a nice house and have once been richer than Fred, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is as powerful or important as Fred now in their government.  He might be though.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1
On 06/09/2017 at 9:44 AM, WaltersHair said:

I personally think Elizabeth Moss is chewing the scenery every single episode, but she'll probably be nominated for several awards and likely will win.

You'er not alone in this. A friend of mine said, "She's channeling William Shatner."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, AllyB said:

The writers seem to be missing even the vaguest sense of how international finance works as in an earlier episode Serena said that the EU would have to deal with Gilead if they didn't want the Euro to collapse. That made no sense then but in the context of Gilead needing to trade with Mexico to avoid their own currency collapsing it's even more nonsensical. Especially when local Gileadean currency appears to be ration tokens.

I Think the tokens are only for the women. But even so, the lack of the most basic knowledge of currency and finance threw me.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, NoSpam said:

Just a few issues I've had with the costumes. For another, the Handmaids costume is too sexy. Nice and form fitting to the boobies.

Those dresses, lovely as they are, seem far too clingy to qualify as modest in Gilead as we know it, a place where Handmaids are denied something as basic as lotion for fear it will give them an attractiveness edge over the wives. I've also noticed that the collars are well below the collarbone, which is a no-no among various Christian denominations that require their female adherents to dress modestly (same for Hasidic Jews). I bring that up because the showrunner has specifically mentioned that they took some of their cues from the evangelical movement, so surely people involved in the show are aware of it. In my head, I've always pictured the Handmaids' dresses as being more like the Marthas' uniforms - more sack-like. The last thing the wives would want is for Handmaids to be swanning around in tight dresses that place emphasis on the chest and hip areas.

Edited by Becks
  • Love 7

Were we supposed to recognize the butcher? They lingered long enough on his face (when they really didn't need to show it at all) to make me think twice, and June seemed to be doing the same thing.  I thought he may have been the hunter who stumbled upon June et al. at their safe house en route to Canada, later breaking the bad news about their coyote getting shot.

• Love 2

I don't think so, just another average guy doing the right thing.  The look, for me anyway, was showing an amazing connection for June.  Here's a man, with a decent job in Gilead, and he is trying to stop what is happening while risking his life to do it.  If I were living June's life, that is something that would mean the world to me.  Connecting with a decent man who understands this is all so wrong, and is brave enough to do what he can to make it stop.  I'd want to look in his eyes too, just for the connection.

• Love 12
On 6/12/2017 at 9:51 AM, Norasuke said:

Were we supposed to recognize the butcher?

Were we? I thought the lingering was the clue to the audience that this guy is Mayday. I'd love to pull The Other Side and get a side by side comparison. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/7/2017 at 3:16 AM, AnswersWanted said:

am beginning to think the "Marthas" are the most interesting people in this place. There's Rita getting a tiny smidgen of interesting backstory, there's the really awesome nameless Martha from the club who has more charisma in her pinky than half of Gilead, and of course there was the amazing, fearless Martha, again nameless, that was Ofglen's lover.

I am invested in the Marthas too. Partly because that’s what I would probably end up as if I wanted to avoid the colonies. I do bake a mean loaf of bread. I know the name of Martha is a Biblical thing, but I am associating them with Martha Stewart.

Loved the scene where June manipulated Fred into letting her return to Jezebel’s, the clueless idiot.

I also liked Serena and Rita bonding. They are so full of piety but still drink and talk of the time before Gilead. Rita sounds like she has drunk the Kool-Aid, or she may just playing along to survive. She must have been traumatized after Offred 1.0 committed suicide.

The scene between Moira and June gutted me. I care more about this their friendship then I do about a lot of the other relationships on this show. 

I loved that Moira escaped. Praise be, bitches, indeed.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 4
32 minutes ago, marinw said:

I am invested in the Marthas too. Partly because that’s what I would probably end up as if I wanted to avoid the colonies. I do bake a mean loaf of bread. I know the name of Martha is a Biblical thing, but I am associating them with Martha Stewart.

Loved the scene where June manipulated Fred into letting her return to Jezebel’s, the clueless idiot.

I also liked Serena and Rita bonding. They are so full of piety but still drink and talk of the time before Gilead. Rita sounds like she has drunk the Kool-Aid, or she may just playing along to survive. She must have been traumatized after Ofred 1.0 committed suicide.

The scene between Moira and June gutted me. I care more about this their friendship then I do about a lot of the other relationships on this show.

I loved that Moira escaped. Praise be, bitches, indeed.

I wouldn't call Fred clueless, as he did pick up on the connection between June and Moira.

I also didn't think Serena and Rita were really bonding, nor did I get the impression Rita is on board with Gilead. I actually had a strong feeling that her son died fighting against Gilead.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That's what Moira's note said, but it was always "praise be" in the show (and book). I think someone just messed up the note.

In this episode, when Janine was leaving the Putnams' house and the rest of the handmaids were lined up saying "praised be" and "blessed be", they (at least some of them) were definitely saying "praised", but until I saw Moira's note I always thought it was "praise be".

IMO "praise be" makes more sense than "praised be", but I don't really know for sure.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

I also didn't think Serena and Rita were really bonding, nor did I get the impression Rita is on board with Gilead. I actually had a strong feeling that her son died fighting against Gilead.

That's an interesting take-maybe Rita did lose her son that way. I took that scene that Rita and Serena were trying to bond, but it was strained and awkward.

• Love 1

The fact that there was no elaboration on how or in what campaign Rita's son died was telling to me in making me think he wasn't fighting for Gilead too.  We don't know how long Rita has been serving in the Waterford household or what circumstances brought her there, but also telling was that Serena knows so little about her or thinks about her so little as a person that she never even knew Rita had had a child.

• Love 3

Speaking of Rita, I was actually surprised they called her by her name. I just expected her to be Martha in the house. She's the only one there, it's not they would have trouble differentiating her from another one.

• Love 3

I like the acting mostly, but the main character seems to give so much away with her expressions.  And so guilty looking sometimes, especially when she got that package and run around the corner to check.  Aren't they being watched all the time? 

I keep wondering while watching this show if the colonies are just a regular place.  Look how normal Canada seems where Luke is.  Look how uncomfortable the Mexican leader seemed to be about all the "rules".  IDK, maybe I watch too much stuff on cults but it seems like this could be a cult where we are seeing inside but outside there is the real world.  Many cults enslave their congregation.  It is interesting that Moss is doing this show considering some similarities I see to Scientology.

I was thinking when Moira drives away she may be able to get out and find the real world, with the regular people and maybe with the regular people they can try and take this thing down.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fountain said:

I keep wondering while watching this show if the colonies are just a regular place.  Look how normal Canada seems where Luke is.  Look how uncomfortable the Mexican leader seemed to be about all the "rules".  IDK, maybe I watch too much stuff on cults but it seems like this could be a cult where we are seeing inside but outside there is the real world.  Many cults enslave their congregation.  It is interesting that Moss is doing this show considering some similarities I see to Scientology.

I was thinking when Moira drives away she may be able to get out and find the real world, with the regular people and maybe with the regular people they can try and take this thing down.

I'm pretty sure if "the colonies" exist, they are exactly what people fear they are. But I question how many people are actually sent there. If someone escapes or goes missing, it would be in Gilead's best interest to say they've been sent to the colonies and cover up the real reason. I'm not sure I'd call it a cult, it's more like a fascist regime. Their power is dependent on fear and fueling lies about the colonies is one way to maintain that power.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2017 at 11:33 AM, Boofish said:

1. I'm getting "Praise be, Bitch" on a t-shirt

Haha, yes!

As for the below, unless it's a super high quality music box, its mirror is probably made of non-shattering plastic.

On 6/9/2017 at 7:44 PM, Umbelina said:

That music box confuses me. 

Her last handmaid killed herself, so they removed the light fixture, yet she gives the new handmaid a mirror, glass shards are quite effective if you want to kill yourself.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I found myself wondering how she could ever bring herself to speak that freely in front of the commanders and wives and Aunt Lydia.  She's talking about how it will all end someday and go back to how it was.

I got the impression they had moved away (on June's request) and that they could not hear her.

I remember all the discussion here a few weeks ago about Luke's "fantasies" of Moira and June getting it on. Now we see Waterford thinks the same. Does that put a worse cast on Luke's musings? Are the screenwriters making a link between "harmless male fantasies" and what eventually happens in Gilead?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/7/2017 at 9:40 PM, trif said:

I thought this too. I have been uncertain of Rita's loyalties but I'm hoping this scene is a setup for her turning on the Waterfords at some crucial moment in the next episode.

I have no problem with getting Nick's perspective. I'm fine with being asked to sympathize with his shitty place in the old world and shittier place in the new world. I just didn't appreciate that I felt like I was also being asked to sympathize with his hurt reaction to Offred's latest rapes...the way I interpreted the looks he gave her (especially last week's episode), they belonged on some other show in some other universe where all three corners of the love triangle have equal agency.

I didn't read Nick's glances during the first trip as him being "hurt" so much as hating being a part of it and knowing what was coming for her.  The second time, I thought he was eying June because he knew her behavior was out of character and she was doing something dangerous, whether he thought it was pique at him driving her to be reckless, a drive to exert some power she might think she had over the Commander (which he would know was not actually something she had since Commander Fred doesn't view any Offred as other than a replaceable doll apparently), or something even more dangerous.   But I didn't read any of it as hurt in the sense of feeling Offred was betraying him.  Just that he hated it.

What I find interesting, is that, based on Chef Martha's reaction, whatever he did or didn't do with the prior Offred, he was having a more evident difficulty with June being there.  It was specific enough for Chef Martha to comment on it.  This does not endear him to me nor romanticize their relationship for me, since this should have grossed him out without forming a level of attachment to the Offred in question. He's also a hypocrite if he thinks himself compassionate when he can swallow his distaste for the treatment of women as long as it's not the Handmaid he's developed a crush on.

On 6/7/2017 at 6:15 AM, LaChavalina said:

YAAAAAAAS, Moira! Praise be for that ending.

A part of me was hoping that Serena would bust in and find the Commander and Offred playing Scrabble. IMO, Waterford agreed to going back to Jezebel's a little too quickly/easily, but I guess the message they're trying to send is that these guys are all total horndogs. For that reason, I'm sure the powers that be in Gilead do believe what Janine said about Warren. It sort of parallels Stalinist times--everyone informs on everyone, everyone is presumed guilty. 

Ann Dowd also deserves some kind of award for her work in this series. She is acting the hell out of her role.

I thought so too, until he brought in Moira.  Commander Fred likes his games and manipulating the women within his reach.  And he likes having leverage and pretending to give gifts, any of which could lead a handmaid's death, as a pretend act of benevolence that gratifies his self-image as a doting protector while also holding the power of life and death over the Handmaid to whom he doles his poison laced presents.    As I viewed it, he noted June's interest in Moira and attributed June's desire to return to Jezabel's as being motivated by her friend.  So he took the opportunity to toy with June's desire to return and use it to push her to be a more active participant in his gross little fantasies.  

Then he presented Moira as an act of kindness on his part ..... after he raped June and then told her she could be louder to show her enjoyment.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:33 AM, Boofish said:

1. I'm getting "Praise be, Bitch" on a t-shirt

I would like an order form. Please and thank you.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 7

I'm bingeing this season now.  Just finished 9, saving 10 for tonight.

When Serena Joy came to wake June up, my first thought was that she realized what was going on between June and Fred.  Perhaps she had confronted him earlier when she caught him coming in and together they had decided to get rid of June.  In order to prevent what happened to Offred 1.0 and a scandal.  When Serena urgently told her to hurry up and get dressed and then seeing the dreaded Black Vans of Doom, I thought, "Uh oh. We're about to get a view into the Colony."

Also, I thought the guards were going to shoot and kill Janine the second she handed the baby to June. I mean, I know she's a good womb and all, but they also thought she was batshit crazy and dangerous.  Why would they want any one to breed with that again?

I was wrong on both counts but not having read the book, I enjoy being surprised.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2017 at 1:08 PM, ryebread said:

I was wrong on both counts but not having read the book, I enjoy being surprised.

One of the "fun" (or not so fun, depending on how much of a purist one is) parts of this show is that even those of us who have read the book are surprised sometimes. Despite being a reasonably faithful adaptation of the book, there were some rather significant liberties taken. For Season 2, we'll all be in the dark together.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

One of the "fun" (or not so fun, depending on how much of a purist one is) parts of this show is that even those of us who have read the book are surprised sometimes. Despite being a reasonably faithful adaptation of the book, there were some rather significant liberties taken. For Season 2, we'll all be in the dark together.

I finally watched epi 10 yesterday.  I'm looking forward to the next season.  But mid 2018???  C'mon, people.  Work faster.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

I finally watched epi 10 yesterday.  I'm looking forward to the next season.  But mid 2018???  C'mon, people.  Work faster.

It sounds like it will be dropping a year after the first season dropped, which is par for the course for streaming series.  (Don't worry, 2018 is only 2 months away!)

• Love 1

You'd think the Resistance would value a(nother) spy in the Commander's household rather than pushing June into making the drop straight away. It was certainly highly suspicious for her to be so keen to head to the brothel the next night. Though I guess she did play into the Commander's prejudices by acting like she couldn't resist the "Forbidden Fruit" aspect. Though the Commander really did show his true colours (again) by going "It's OK to fully express your passion here!" because OBVIOUSLY she was only holding back because that's what the State demands and not because she's a sex slave.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, whoknowswho said:

Aunt Lydia seems to really care for her girls. She was horrified when Janine jumped, and I don't think it's all because she is a living uterus.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:41 AM, NoSpam said:

I Do love the Aunt Lydia characterization. She's the only True Believer in the whole country.

The actress playing her is absolutely killing it. She is objectively a monster, but she really DOES seem to be a True Believer and her reasons for supporting the regime seem "pure" and not because of any perks she (presumably) receives for doing so.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, AnswersWanted said:

She is a pretty crappy spy honestly lol, but she isn't a real spy.

True - I can imagine I'd be an awesome spy when I watch TV/films, but I'm not subject to rape/torture/death if I screw up, so I'll give her a pass.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:43 PM, Umbelina said:

If anything, it's Moira, all powerful spunky Moira, escaping again!  From a highly guarded place, and in a car no less!

Which shows that the most important aspect of impersonating somebody is not looking the part, it's acting the part. If you project confidence people will be inclined to believe what you say. Though probably best to remove the fake eyelashes first (I totally failed to notice them, but I'll take everyone else's word for it). I also imagine she's not going to let herself be taken alive if she can't get away.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, Kuther2000 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we were to find out that Rita's son was fighting against Gilead not for it when he died.

I thought it was heavily implied that was the case.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:40 AM, Binaanne said:

it looked like Janine had her arms restrained...and it looked like her legs were spread under the sheet. I'm assuming those were restrained too. So it seems being in a coma doesn't exclude you from your handmaid "duties".

Biologically a comatose woman would be highly unlikely to get pregnant - though taking the "biologically optimal" course isn't foremost in Gilead's policies as opposed to blaming women for everything, so maybe.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

The hypocrisy about diddling the handmaid in the house and the fact that all of the higher ups go to Jezebel's on the regular is nuts.

Yeah, who would imagine that those in power would impose rule they have no intention of following themselves!?

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, GreekGeek said:

Were we ever told what's in the package, or is that going to be a Big Reveal later?

I'm pretty sure we don't. I would guess it was a test of June's abilities to carry out missions and was not in itself particularly important.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, EyesGlazed said:

Is Gilead really enforcing its non-procreative sex ban on everybody in the country?

You reward people who inform. That way you never know who might turn you in.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, Umbelina said:

I think the men still have money, but the whole thing was poorly explained on the show.  The women aren't allowed to have money so they carry pictures, but eventually I think the man pays the bills that come in.  How though?  Still the dollar?

I guess. Presumably they're rebranded as "Gilead Dollars" or "Purity Dollars" or something like that.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, dleighg said:

I got the impression they had moved away (on June's request) and that they could not hear her.

I took it as the standard TV, "I'll take two steps away and nobody will hear me" Trope that appears all the time. I guess she could argue, "Well of COURSE I didn't believe anything I said but I had to save the baby!" but it would be one hell of a risk, so presuambly June thought they couldn't hear her.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, ryebread said:

When Serena Joy came to wake June up, my first thought was that she realized what was going on between June and Fred.

Me too. Although I was confused about the timeline - it was light when Serena Joy woke June (and it's clearly Winter) and I really doubt Handmaids are allowed to just sleep in. And did Janine break into her Baby Daddy's house in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning? How long had she been standing on that bridge?