Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Stupid Watergate

• Start Topic

You know what I'd like on the LWT YouTube? John talking about a topic in length, edited down to three minutes. While I hope that he can circle back to the TSA in the future, the condensed version was funny, including the graphic of the Russian leaders giving each other handies. And who doesn't love puppet penguins? I think John digs those more than even Tony "Penguin Dance!" Kornheiser on Pardon the Interruption.

No takedown of Roger Ailes, but John did work in his ghost during his epic tirade on recent events.

• Love 3

Funny thing about Pence saying "Hoosiers don't believe in discrimination" is that, here in the St. Louis Bi-State area, hoosier is a catch-all term for rednecks, assholes, dummies, petty criminals, drunkards, wife beaters, and Libertarians. In other words, the exact people who voted Trump into office.

• Love 3

I actually don't think the entire episode needed to be about Trump. I didn't find anything original v actually watching the news during the week. John also failed to mention that Sessions is leading the process of finding a new nominee for the FBI too. 

I do appreciate John pointing out that impeachment is highly unlikely, though I wish he pointed out that there's other constitutional means to remove the president. 

Pence making his "aw shucks pinchy face" drives me up the wall. He's been cultivating this put-upon persona and he's just as culpable as all of them. What kind of a jerk do you have to be to not even be able to say "no" to a softball question about discrimination. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I do appreciate John pointing out that impeachment is highly unlikely, though I wish he pointed out that there's other constitutional means to remove the president. 

True. Although I disagree with John: if we get the really thorough, lengthy investigation that Mueller is capable of, and the evidence is irrefutable (and Trump keeps implicating himself every time he opens his mouth), and, most importantly, Trump's favorability numbers with the Republican base tanks (say, if he makes massive Medicare cuts *ahem*), impeachment could happen. I do agree with John's implication that it's more likely that Trump will be so unhappy in the job that he'll resign. 

I was also disappointed in John's assumption (that I see everywhere) that the full line of succession will kick in immediately. Perhaps if it gets to the point that Mueller paints a picture all at once of gross malfeasance/negligence on the part of both Trump and Pence. But generally, if Trump resigns or is impeached, Pence will become president, and he will name a new vice president. Then if further investigation exposes that Pence was also in it up to his eyeballs (*cough* Manafort, Flynn), then he would step down and his VP would become president, not Ryan.

• Love 1

I suppose if they go for the double whammy and impeach Trump and Pence at the same time, then Ryan would be president. The problem I have with impeachment is that it's really based on criminal activity. Just looking at the quotes of Trump shown in this episode, I think it's hard to prove intent and much, much easier to paint a picture of gross incompetence. Giving intelligence to the Russians isn't technically criminal since any president has broad authority to do so, but it's easily seen as short sighted and damaging to our intelligence partners. 

They also showed that there's more and more congressmen getting fed up with Trump's deal. I could easily see Congress blocking any proposed legislation from the administration if it's clear and association with Trump will cost them in 2018. So, yes, the best outcome would be making his life so miserable and being so ineffectual that he just quits. 

• Love 1

I think Donald Trump has officially broken John Oliver. I don't think I knew the AG was third in line for the Presidency. Good Lord. We'd actually be better off waiting until after the 2018 elections and praying to God the Democrats can take back the House. Slim chance, I know, but at least then the second in line would be a Democrat. 

I do hope we get to see that TSA piece eventually, I bet that's interesting. Unfortunately there's bound to be double the amount of scandals by the time John gets back after 2 weeks off.

• Love 1

I wish Ollie hadn't of given us a condensed version of the TSA piece they were planning. It would be rather important for anyone who does a lot of flying. Especially given that summer vacation period will soon be upon us. Perhaps he should follow Trevor's lead on TDS and come up with his own version of "Ain't Got Time For That" when talking about Drumph.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

No takedown of Roger Ailes, but John did work in his ghost during his epic tirade on recent events.

I was surprised at the duration of the audience's "too-soon" groans. A couple of seconds of groans would make sense, but that was really sustained.

3 hours ago, ahisma said:

I do agree with John's implication that it's more likely that Trump will be so unhappy in the job that he'll resign. 

I can't see Trump resigning. That could be seen as failure, and although he could spin it, I don't know what excuse he'd give. "I want to spend time with my family"? That's the transparent cliche.

However, I loved when John said that the one thing he has in common with Trump is that he also liked his life before Trump was President.

I thought this was a very enjoyable ep. I can't say there was anything new revealed since I read a bunch of articles about the goings-on. Yet seeing and hearing John talk about it is a good way to spend a half hour.

The penguins and John's reaction to them was a great ending. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

He isn't. The Speaker of the House is. That's Paul Ryan. 

He's second in line. Pence is first in line and Drumpf isn't in the line because he's already President. So Orrin Hatch would be third in line.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

"Surety" is an acceptable synonym for "certainty". That is all.

It wasn't the word - it was the way he said it.  To me, at least.

Edited by mjc570
to be polite
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ganesh said:

I travel a lot. I would be interested in a piece on the TSA. (Get the pre-check). 

I don't think it's going to change much in a week or two weeks or whenever he would have time to run it in full.

I got the pre-check and I didn't do anything to get it.  So it confuses me.

The penguins were adorkable, especially when they hugged John's arms.

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think Donald Trump has officially broken John Oliver. I don't think I knew the AG was third in line for the Presidency. Good Lord. We'd actually be better off waiting until after the 2018 elections and praying to God the Democrats can take back the House. Slim chance, I know, but at least then the second in line would be a Democrat. 

7 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

He isn't. The Speaker of the House is. That's Paul Ryan. 

In case you are curious, here's the Wikipedia article on the current line of succession.  AG is actually 7th.   And Kelsey Grammar is no where in sight. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

6 hours ago, mjc570 said:

He did stumble at that point but it still seemed like an odd thing to single out. It's not like he requested a particular kind of mustard or anything.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

President Ben Carson. There's three more words no one thought to put together. 

Well he ran in the primaries so it occurred to at least one person. And if he can't handle the job, Rick Perry and Betsy DeVos are right behind him.

On 22.5.2017 at 6:35 AM, Lantern7 said:

And who doesn't love puppet penguins? I think John digs those more than even Tony "Penguin Dance!" Kornheiser on Pardon the Interruption.

... and if the penguins are gone, we'll always have the ZEBRAS!!! ;-)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ganesh said:

The "other constitutional ways" of removing the President are even less likely than impeachment.  The best chances for Trump to be removed from office are either he resigns (which I think is possible if he can figure out how to spin it) or waiting until the midterms are over.

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought this was a very enjoyable ep. I can't say there was anything new revealed since I read a bunch of articles about the goings-on. Yet seeing and hearing John talk about it is a good way to spend a half hour.

Plus, with the pace of crap that flies out of the Trump administration it's hard to keep the timeline straight.  That all that crap went down in one week is unbelievable.  It's getting harder to remember exactly when each bit of Trumpiness happened.

30 minutes ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

The "other constitutional ways" of removing the President are even less likely than impeachment. 

That wasn't the gist of the initial point, only the opening sentence was quoted. 

23 hours ago, ganesh said:

The problem I have with impeachment is that it's really based on criminal activity. Just looking at the quotes of Trump shown in this episode, I think it's hard to prove intent and much, much easier to paint a picture of gross incompetence. Giving intelligence to the Russians isn't technically criminal since any president has broad authority to do so, but it's easily seen as short sighted and damaging to our intelligence partners. 

In the context of the discussion on the show, John was pointing out how proving criminality would lead to impeachment. A discussion on whether the president is actually in possession of the mental faculties to execute the duties of the office would drive him up the wall, and is as salient an argument, possibly more so, than if there was actual criminal intent. It nails the president in almost a catch 22. "He didn't obstruct justice, he was just talking off his head like he's always done." "Ok, then he doesn't grasp the enormity of the office and how numerous mistakes like this are damaging and isn't fit for office." Which is it? 

• Love 1

The best chances for Trump to be removed from office are either he resigns (which I think is possible if he can figure out how to spin it) or waiting until the midterms are over.

I'm not trying to be incendiary by saying death is a more likely way of Trump not finishing his first term than impeachment. He's not exactly in the best of shape (see Bill Maher's rant last week) to begin with and it's known what the pressure of the office does to you. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ganesh said:
On 5/22/2017 at 10:52 AM, ahisma said:

Although I disagree with John: if we get the really thorough, lengthy investigation that Mueller is capable of, and the evidence is irrefutable (and Trump keeps implicating himself every time he opens his mouth), and, most importantly, Trump's favorability numbers with the Republican base tanks (say, if he makes massive Medicare cuts *ahem*), impeachment could happen. I do agree with John's implication that it's more likely that Trump will be so unhappy in the job that he'll resign

In the context of the discussion on the show, John was pointing out how proving criminality would lead to impeachment. A discussion on whether the president is actually in possession of the mental faculties to execute the duties of the office would drive him up the wall, and is as salient an argument, possibly more so, than if there was actual criminal intent. It nails the president in almost a catch 22. "He didn't obstruct justice, he was just talking off his head like he's always done." "Ok, then he doesn't grasp the enormity of the office and how numerous mistakes like this are damaging and isn't fit for office." Which is it?

Trying to copy 2 quotes always messes up response.

I would think that the intent to fire Comey because he wouldn't drop the Russia investigation is sufficient evidence of criminal obstruction of justice, presuming that there is evidence of Russia involvement with Flynn and the election.  I don't know what other "intent" one needs.  I think that trying to 25th Amendment trump would be much harder.

If the investigation takes long enough, i.e. into 2019, and the Dems win the House, and if the investigation takes out Pence at the same time as Trump, then its possible for the new speaker of the House, a Dem, to be the next Pres, and not Ryan.  Yeah, its a lot of "ifs."

I too was a bit disappointed that the TSA story got such short shrift.  I hope Oliver is able to present it in its full at another time.  

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not trying to be incendiary by saying death is a more likely way of Trump not finishing his first term than impeachment. He's not exactly in the best of shape (see Bill Maher's rant last week) to begin with and it's known what the pressure of the office does to you. 

Well he'd have to understand and/or care about the responsibilities of the office first before he'd feel its pressure.  I get more of a 'I'll do whatever the he'll I want and leave the rest to my people' vibe than a commitment to the office.   He might feel more pressure from the lack of adulation than from a need to perform his duties 

• Love 5
(edited)

I swear I feel like Drumpf fired Comey because Comey's hulking size made him (Drumpf) uncomfortable.

I can't believe we did a review of the week and didn't show Spicer hiding in the bushes!

I've only watched one season of "The Apprentice" in my life and that was only because Clay Aiken was on it.  I thought Dee Snider had to leave because of his broken finger, he wasn't fired...?

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Crap.  John is off this week. 

After doing a very funny bit about how uninteresting Jared is - a slice of white bread, tucked in a white bread sandwich - John may have to walk that back now - what with Jared wanting to establish back channels with Russia.  The level of stupidity is breath taking.

I was really looking forward to a segment on this.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Crap John is off this week. 

Comma, please, unless you're calling John crap. :D

After doing a very funny bit about how uninteresting Jared is - a slice of white bread, tucked in a white bread sandwich - John may have to walk that back now - what with Jared wanting to establish back channels with Russia.  The level of stupidity is breath taking.

I was really looking forward to a segment on this.

Reading all the stuff about Jared yesterday made me think about this, too. He also sounds pretty cutthroat in business.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Comma, please, unless you're calling John crap. :D

Thank you Peeayebee - I edited my post.  John is definitely not crap.  He just has to spin crap into comic gold.

• Love 1
On 5/22/2017 at 5:05 PM, mjc570 said:

And it's not generally the context that the word "surety" is used and even if it is supposed to be used that way, 45, with his limited vocabulary, wouldn't know that.  

• Love 1