Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've just watched episode ten or eleven. I forget which. Glad that Mary Pat learned who that guy really is, and showed him the door (and recorded him being the misogynistic rapist arse that he is). 

I know the whole premise of the show, but I wish they would quit while they're ahead.

• Love 4
On 4/30/2018 at 11:22 PM, kpw801 said:

Stan is unrealistic! Their daughter is alive and well because of RUBY! I know she feels guilty but she shouldn't. He was in church testifying about how "the money came lik a miracle" and calling that slank an angel. But now Ruby is the devil and must be abandoned? He ought to go sit down somewhere! He knew he was a cop when he smoked weed.

I don't think he is. A lot of people go through this kind of thing, and don't become criminals. He joked about robbing a bank, he didn't actually do it. 

On 5/1/2018 at 3:11 PM, txhorns79 said:

In fairness to Ruby, Stan is an idiot.  I still can't believe he just accepted her secret shopper explanation when she suddenly had thousands of dollars in cash lying around.  Unless we are really supposed to think he is a moron, I have to believe he knew Ruby was up to something sketchy, but didn't want to know what it was. 

He trusted his wife. If he was an idiot, he wouldn't have connected the robbery to her. He spoke to his wife, instead of just having her arrested, which others might not have done. 

I thought the one guy was attractive, too - not for a relationship, but it seemed like they were showing the possibility of them hooking up. I don't think that would be a good thing now. I'd be fine with her putting a bullet in him, only she would have to explain what he was doing there.

Oh, that's IT? I didn't know I was watching the finale. :( I should have known, what with that ending. 

• Love 1
On 2/10/2019 at 4:15 PM, Trini said:

It looks like they may actually be 'going there' with Beth and Rio? I just saw an NBC promo featuring both of them/the relationship.

And I am here for it. Just binged all 10 eps today and despite how unrealistic a lot is, I still loved it.

Spoiler

Here is the Rio/Beth promo. I love Retta at the end. Hah!

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 7

Season 2 premiere synopsis:

Spoiler

"I'D RATHER BE CRAFTING"

03/03/2019 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) : Season 2 Premiere.

Beth (Christina Hendricks) must live with the fallout after her plan to get Rio (Manny Montana) arrested fails. Meanwhile, the women's crimes finally catch up with them when evidence surfaces that puts them on a collision course with Agent Turner.

TV-14 SL

2.02 synopsis:

Spoiler

"SLOW DOWN, CHILDREN AT PLAY" ORIGINAL

03/10/2019 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) :

Rio (Manny Montana) forces Beth (Christina Hendricks), Annie (Mae Whitman), and Ruby (Retta) to solve a problem with a possible witness, which challenges the women's morality. Meanwhile, Annie is in an awkward position with Greg (guest star Zach Gilford) and Nancy.

TV-14 D, L

I binged this show last week because it had been on my to-do list for a long time and I knew S2 was starting soon. Definitely enjoyed the first season. It requires a hefty dose of suspension of disbelief and a barrel of moral hand-waving, but as long as I look at it as guilty pleasure with a great cast and stick to over analyzing the characters and not the plot, it works for me. 

And now for Season 2...

While the scene with the rape kits was happening, I was thinking "Damn, they aren't even gonna try to have them walk the line this year..." so I was very pleasantly surprised that they did not go through with it. I overlook a lot for the sake of enjoying the show, but I don't know if I could have hand-waved that one.

I have complicated feelings about Ruby's husband. I get that he's a cop, and he's shocked and appalled and hurt by what she did, but at the same time, if she hadn't done it, THEIR DAUGHTER PROBABLY WOULD HAVE DIED. When he was saying that "everybody needs money," all I could think was that it was an unfair comparison because not everyone has a terminally ill child, and the US health care system is genuinely pretty shitty.

Not at all surprised that Rio has a kid. Like, not even a little bit. I feel like they hinted that right from the beginning of the first season with little things like him making sure Beth's dog got let out to pee and helping her son with his homework. He always struck me as someone who "knows how to human" and has a life outside of his work, but he pretends to be a sociopath on the business end because it makes the job easier. He's still scary AF to me, though, and I felt like the writers really resisted softening his edges in S1, so I hope they don't go too far with that this season.

All of my thoughts and feelings about how things went down with Rio and Beth and Dean are still pretty jumbled, so I think I'm going to save those musings for later. As for the possibility of Beth and Rio hooking up, I can say I'm not entirely opposed. On paper, the attraction makes almost zero sense, but I think the actors really sell the idea of a gang leader wanting to bang the hell out of a cute full-figured housewife, and vice versa, so based on chemistry alone, it definitely works for me. But I can't shake the feeling that it's out of character for him to mix business with pleasure, especially after she got him thrown in jail for trying to break things off *before* anything physical happened between them. Most of what he does seems pretty calculated, so is Beth really that irresistible?

• Love 7

Well, that was a season opener. 

I feel very bad for Ruby’s husband. He’s in a very tough spot. I think if she had just done it for their daughter, he might have an easier time moving past it. But she also seemed (like the other ladies) to go past their original purpose and enjoy the high life.

Not a fan of any potential Rio and Beth romance. Just no. Since day 1, he has threatened her, scared her, and tried to use her family to intimidate her.

Ruby's kids, especially the little boy, are just adorable. The pancake scene was so cute. "Y'all better stop talking about my mama!"

It's pretty easy to forget how much shit these women have done, so I appreciated Ruby's husband laying it all out.

Is it wrong that I'm annoyed Dean lived? Do we need him? I hope the show addresses the fact that Beth knows he doesn't have cancer.

4 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Not at all surprised that Rio has a kid. Like, not even a little bit.

Not remotely. Lots of criminals have kids. I don't think he's on the "I'm doing this for my son!" tip re: his criminal activity, but I'm not surprised at all that he has a kid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

"I didn't kill my husband. Yay?"

Was that Rio in the shadows in Agent Turner's apartment? I guess turning snitch was one of his options but apparently Turner doesn't know Rio is a double agent? Or maybe he and Rio are related in some way?

Leslie is Grade A loser POS. Sad when the only way you can get a woman is to blackmail her. He does need killing but maybe the girls should've alerted Rio about his being a problem so maybe Rio would've handled it himself before now. Rio just keeps making them dig a bigger and bigger hole of felonies for themselves.

• Love 8
(edited)

I just love this show....warts and all.  There are so many issues with it, but, I choose to overlook them.  The thing is that in today's world, criminal conduct and coverup is very difficult due to DNA, surveillance cameras almost everywhere, cell phone records, and tracking on most vehicles. It's hard to go off the grid for criminal or secret behavior.  

I think I really enjoy the relationships and how these characters deal with adversity.  Like the way Annie acted when her daughter, told her about the stepmom being pregnant.  The pain was palpable, but, she keep in character for her child and swallowed her shock and disappointment.  It really took me to times where I've been blindsided.  

And Ruby in that coffee shop, just killing time.....lol.  She's a joy to watch on camera.  So smooth and comfortable on screen.

Beth always seems to keep me guessing.  I don't know what she's capable of really.  And, I like that.  She reminds me of Nancy Botwin on Weeds!  In fact, this show has a definite Weeds flavor.  If you have never watched Weeds, I would highly recommend the first few seasons.  The later ones, got too crazy.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just love this show....warts and all.  There are so many issues with it, but, I choose to overlook them.  The thing is that in today's world, criminal conduct and coverup is very difficult due to DNA, surveillance cameras almost everywhere, cell phone records, and tracking on most vehicles. It's hard to go off the grid for criminal or secret behavior.  

I think I really enjoy the relationships and how these characters deal with adversity.  Like the way Annie acted when her son told her about the stepmom being pregnant.  The pain was palpable, but, she keep in character for her son and swallowed her shock and disappointment.  It really took me to times where I've been blindsided.  

And Ruby in that coffee shop, just killing time.....lol.  She's a joy to watch on camera.  So smooth and comfortable on screen.

Beth always seems to keep me guessing.  I don't know what she's capable of really.  And, I like that.  She reminds me of Nancy Botwin on Weeds!  In fact, this show has a definite Weeds flavor.  If you have never watched Weeds, I would highly recommend the first few seasons.  The later ones, got too crazy.  

Annie has a daughter. 

I found the bit when Beth and Annie realized they'd be destroying rape kits to be very powerful. I think this show does well with the moments when the three leads are forced to consider how far down they've spiraled.

I also find the conflict between Ruby/Stan re: her involvement and possibility of turning the other two in for a deal to be very compelling. You can see where they're both coming from and they are in an impossible situation. At the end of the day, I can't blame people for the extreme lengths they'd go to to save a terminally-ill kid. I just have other things I'd rather be mad about.

They made a big point of that stop sign being missing--was that something from last season? Either way I assume it'll come back Chekhov's Gun style eventually. It kinda makes me nervous that one of the kids is gonna get hit by a car.

Hey, Beth? I know you don't like Dean right now and don't even really feel that bad you got him shot (don't blame you, honestly!) but maybe be a bit more delicate with how you talk about it to your children. Having a parent be shot can be traumatizing and she was talking to them like he'd simply fallen down and scraped his knee. Also don't tell your kids people get shot all the time!

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Was that Rio in the shadows in Agent Turner's apartment? I guess turning snitch was one of his options but apparently Turner doesn't know Rio is a double agent? Or maybe he and Rio are related in some way?

I assume that was just Agent Turner's nameless boyfriend/SO--if it was Rio they would have given him a closeup. I think they were just establishing that Agent Turner is gay...or reestablishing? I feel like there might have been a moment last year when Beth tried to charm him and he let her know it wasn't gonna work, or maybe I hallucinated that. I should have binged S1 again before watching the new eps.

• Love 8

I feel like horrible person for finding Rio so hot and charming. Good Lord!! I know he shot her husband but one good bang deserves another 😏

Am I to conclude on my own that Ruby was thanking her husband for getting the pin cap? They certainly were relaxed and calm at the end. Did I miss something?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Boofish said:

I feel like horrible person for finding Rio so hot and charming.

Manny Montana is fine as hell!

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Also don't tell your kids people get shot all the time!

I laughed when her son was like " ... They do?!" And Beth was almost gleefully talking about it to her kids. "Oh, fiddle dee dee, your daddy just got shot in the chest!" It was creepy.

4 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I also find the conflict between Ruby/Stan re: her involvement and possibility of turning the other two in for a deal to be very compelling. You can see where they're both coming from and they are in an impossible situation. At the end of the day, I can't blame people for the extreme lengths they'd go to to save a terminally-ill kid. I just have other things I'd rather be mad about.

I think it's fascinating too. It really is an impossible situation. The US healthcare system is trash and that's their kid. It reminds me of the movie John Q.

• Love 3

I assume that was just Agent Turner's nameless boyfriend/SO--if it was Rio they would have given him a closeup. I think they were just establishing that Agent Turner is gay...or reestablishing?

I dunno, Turner being gay would be no reason to stage whoever that was so cagily. His sexual orientation is no big deal and the audience already knows. The only way it might be a problem is if he's in the closet and his employer the FBI doesn't know. Nah, I still think it was a person whose connection to Turner the show doesn't want us to know about yet because it's a big deal. That's why I'm still wondering if it was Rio.

Quick question: I watched a few of last season’s episodes over the weekend and, while I believe Beth’s husband was lying about the cancer, I didn’t see any definitive proof of that.  But it’s mentioned repeatedly on this thread as a fact.  So, what crucial scene did I miss?  TIA!

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I dunno, Turner being gay would be no reason to stage whoever that was so cagily. His sexual orientation is no big deal and the audience already knows. The only way it might be a problem is if he's in the closet and his employer the FBI doesn't know. Nah, I still think it was a person whose connection to Turner the show doesn't want us to know about yet because it's a big deal. That's why I'm still wondering if it was Rio.

Rio said something last season about Turner having a family in Baltimore so I'm thinking he's closeted/fooling around.

2 hours ago, jalady said:

Quick question: I watched a few of last season’s episodes over the weekend and, while I believe Beth’s husband was lying about the cancer, I didn’t see any definitive proof of that.  But it’s mentioned repeatedly on this thread as a fact.  So, what crucial scene did I miss?  TIA!

A couple, first Dean googling how to fake cancer, second he and his doctor conspiring after their meeting with Beth.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Um, Rio, Beth (the strongest of the trio) couldn't shoot YOU, but they're going to murder a fed???  I hope he doesn't reaqlly think that.

As for Beth and Rio, that's a hard no.  He's a murdering sociopath -- not deserving of ANYONE's love.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

fucking hell she has smoking chemistry with everyone! The only real reason I'm still watching is to see Rio and Beth hook up.

Well, I love Ruby, like Annie, and I want Beth and Rio hookup. I stick with my reasoning from last season, the actors playing them are hot. Nuff said.

• Love 8

So many people could kill Leslie, and yet they dont. Come on, so many people on this show are getting shot, whats one more? I hate that guy, not even in a love to hate kind of way like Rio sometimes, the dude is just a gross shitty little turd. 

Anyway, nice to have the show back! The stuff with Ruby and Stan as really interesting, I could see their points of view really well. Stan has no interest in their black comedy hijinks and is just like "your breaking the law and hurting people! Lots of people need money, they dont do this!" while Ruby was desperate to help her child, and is still doing everything she can for them, which I can also understand. Its good stuff, and the actors are really good. 

Ruby and the coffee shop was hilarious. The Maroon 5 Holiday album! Of course then it turns right back to dark when they realize they were destroying rape kits. As much as they have rationalized everything they have done as victim-less crimes, there clearly are innocent victims caught up in this mess, and they are becoming increasingly aware of that. They really have fallen low, even if they did have good intentions. 

Beth telling the kids how people get shot all the time and how its no big deal was funny and awful. Come on Beth, maybe dont traumatize your kids with their father almost dying being played as "yeah, shit happens".

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So many people could kill Leslie, and yet they dont. Come on, so many people on this show are getting shot, whats one more? I hate that guy, not even in a love to hate kind of way like Rio sometimes, the dude is just a gross shitty little turd. 

Not just that, but I think the character is just dead weight to the show. It doesn't need him. I really hope they get rid of him soon.

• Love 20

Leslie is Grade A loser POS. Sad when the only way you can get a woman is to blackmail her. He does need killing but maybe the girls should've alerted Rio about his being a problem so maybe Rio would've handled it himself before now. Rio just keeps making them dig a bigger and bigger hole of felonies for themselves.

I have trouble believing Agent Turner would ever use Leslie for anything vaguely law related.  At best, Leslie seems unstable, and at worse, he would be the person whose bungling while acting under the aegis of Agent Turner destroys the case. 

• Love 2
On 3/4/2019 at 11:06 AM, helenamonster said:

I assume that was just Agent Turner's nameless boyfriend/SO--if it was Rio they would have given him a closeup. I think they were just establishing that Agent Turner is gay...or reestablishing? I feel like there might have been a moment last year when Beth tried to charm him and he let her know it wasn't gonna work, or maybe I hallucinated that. I should have binged S1 again before watching the new eps.

Agt has a wife and kids back at home, Rio mentioned them in the season finale during their diner scene. This will be used against him in some way. They didn't show us that tidbit for no reason

• Love 5
On 3/5/2019 at 8:05 AM, helenamonster said:

He wants them to kill Leslie, not the fed.

Even though Leslie deserves to die, if Beth can't kill the man who beat her husband, I doubt she can kill Leslie.

Also, too, Rio would not have left Beth's husband alive.  He would have much more likely shot him twice in the head.  If brain matter wound up on Beth, so much the better.

9 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Even though Leslie deserves to die, if Beth can't kill the man who beat her husband, I doubt she can kill Leslie.

Also, too, Rio would not have left Beth's husband alive.  He would have much more likely shot him twice in the head.  If brain matter wound up on Beth, so much the better.

I took it as Rio wasn't trying to kill him.. Just show he was serious... For some baffling reason he has a soft/blind spot for these three moms... 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

I took it as Rio wasn't trying to kill him.. Just show he was serious... For some baffling reason he has a soft/blind spot for these three moms... 

He seemed surprised that Hubby was still alive.  And that was a very dangerous way to show he was serious -- there are any number of ways that could have been fatal, and any number of ways to inflict serious harm without risk of death.

Edited by jhlipton

Okay, I'm still tentatively in this season. I'm mainly here for Ruby and her family, to a lesser extent Beth, and ... I don't really care about Annie's shenanigans when she's away from the other two.

I don't know what's up with the missing stop sign, but it seems like it's hinting at something later.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, jhlipton said:

In season one, Beth thought she killed him for assaulting her sister. Just a lil reminder that she can be violent when defending her pack.

• Love 3

I love this show. It's dark but compelling and the comedic bits are just enough to make me feel bad at laughing at how dark things are. It's perfect. 

My non-spoiled speculation is that I think they'll find a way to kill Leslie that is less "shoot him" and more "make it look like an accident" kind of thing. Either way, it's going to be terrible and hilarious and I cannot wait. 

I do feel bad for the blackmailer lady though. No one should have to marry that weasel. 

• Love 6

This season is getting a little too dark for me. 

I felt like the first season had more lightness mixed in, but this season does not so far.

I felt awful for Nancy when Greg showed up. I've never really thought we should DISlike her, so I felt particularly bad for her. (I think gender reveal parties are silly, but that's not a reason to dislike her.)

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 11

Come on, you had Leslie dead to rights! People keep almost killing him, but missing their chances! He is such dead weight on this show, and such a slimy awful rapist piece of shit, and he takes up so much screen time, I want him gone!

• Love 21
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Come on, you had Leslie dead to rights! People keep almost killing him, but missing their chances! He is such dead weight on this show, and such a slimy awful rapist piece of shit, and he takes up so much screen time, I want him gone!

Amen!  I keep envisioning ways they can just make him go away.  But, this is one of my questions.  Why would the ladies believe Leslie's word.....like, why would he honor his promise to disappear?  He's too arrogant and stupid to really take a threat to heart.  

Also, I haven't followed as closely as some of you, but, why would Annie go over and divulge info to Leslie's fiance, that could implicate the ladies in Leslie's disappearance?  Isn't this lady the one who blackmailed them for a cut of money or else she'd expose them to the police? Why provide her more info to use against you?  

Ref. Annie again. Who opens the door at night, when you have no idea who is on the other side of it? Especially, when you are in the shenanigans that's she involved with. 

• Love 13

Hah, Perd Hapley from Parks and Rec was one of the employees at Dean's dealership.

Yah, it's time for Boomer/Leslie/whatever we're calling him to capital g capital o GO. I think the actor is only credited as a guest star, not a series regular, so it feels like it should be any episode now, but I'd like that thread tied up sooner rather than later. My prediction: he will get hit and killed by a car that runs the missing stop sign, either in a total accident or in something set up by the girls.

3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. Annie again. Who opens the door at night, when you have no idea who is on the other side of it? Especially, when you are in the shenanigans that's she involved with. 

This is a trope I only see on TV and it drives me nuts. Not only do I not know a single person in real life who wouldn't use the peephole if somebody knocked at their door when they weren't expecting anybody (and sometimes even when they were!), but I also don't know anybody that just drops by unannounced anymore. I think it was a thing in my nana's day; she'd have me on inservice days from school and take me "visiting" which literally was just going to her different friends'/family members' houses to see them, and if they weren't home just moving along to the next one. But people Annie and Greg's age would call/text first.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, link417 said:

I’ve listened to it twice and can’t make it out — what did Rio say at the end?

I just went and cc-ed it -- when she asked, "are you going to kill me?" He replied, "I'm going to teach you."

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

REF. Beth's husband.  Why was he so impervious to the fact that he needed to take it easy upon returning to work?  I mean, even if you have financial need and pressure to sell, it's ultimately going to hurt your sales if you pass out that way.  I don't get it. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

REF. Beth's husband.  Why was he so impervious to the fact that he needed to take it easy upon returning to work?  I mean, even if you have financial need and pressure to sell, it's ultimately going to hurt your sales if you pass out that way.  I don't get it. 

Because he's an ass and is probably feeling completely emasculated that Beth had to step in and do what she did to save everyone's ass and even after that, she had to sell the refrigerator to continue keeping the family afloat because he's such a PoS. This way, he can say, "well, look I'm trying to step up and do my part and be better, despite my current health condition (which is YOUR fault, by the way), and look at what happened to me." So he can yet again put the blame on someone other than himself for being a PoS cheating weasel. 

Can you tell I've had my fill of dealing with bullshit fragile male egos today -- so much so that even fake/tv ones are pissing me off???? 😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Hah, Perd Hapley from Parks and Rec was one of the employees at Dean's dealership.

Yah, it's time for Boomer/Leslie/whatever we're calling him to capital g capital o GO. I think the actor is only credited as a guest star, not a series regular, so it feels like it should be any episode now, but I'd like that thread tied up sooner rather than later. My prediction: he will get hit and killed by a car that runs the missing stop sign, either in a total accident or in something set up by the girls.

That's what I was expecting until Beth put the sign back up in the middle of the night.  I'm not sure where they're going with Leslie now but I am still hoping for death at that intersection.

• Love 1

"They aren't my friends, they're bitches I follow on instagram."

LMFAO. I almost spit out my tea when Beth's husband added, "next time, go for the Honda", too. I just didn't expect it. I'm so glad that I picked up this show on netflix, where I left off a year ago. I'm not liking Annie's ex, at all, which is a shame, because I like the actor. He was a douche to her, and now he's a douche to his pregnant wife. 

I haven't finished the episode yet. 

• Love 7