Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I also think Beth had to be the responsible adult from childhood and had to step up and take the place of her mother.

I was rewatching an episode from the first season a couple of days ago, and Annie tells Rio a story about how Beth wanted piano lessons, so their parents spent $3000 on one for her, and then she decided she wanted to play the violin instead. That level of privilege doesn't really match up to what we saw in the recent flashbacks, but I'm going to guess that their father died or left, and their mom didn't take it well and let everything fall apart after that. Either that or Annie was just making shit up to try to appease Rio (if so, Beth played along really well, because she looked embarrassed).

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Who is Rio's informant? Actually, I'm surprised - and disappointed - we haven't learned more about Rio. Especially since they decided to progress the Beth/Rio relationship this season.

I'm curious about how young he was when he got started with the criminal activity, and also whether there's anything in his backstory that would explain why he developed such a soft spot for Beth. I don't think I'd want an entire episode devoted to him or his backstory--I think that would be too much info at once, and I like finding out little things here and there as Beth chips away at him--but a little more info would definitely be welcome. I have a fear (hopefully an irrational one) that they're going to use his backstory as a way to create empathy for him right before killing him off. I really, really hate that TV trope. 

I've seen a few people float the theory that Noah is Rio's mole. It kind of makes sense because such characters are often ones we already know, and the writers wouldn't have to introduce a new character. If that were the case, though, it would mean Rio knows that Annie opened her big mouth, so combined with Ruby apparently botching their smuggling job, he'd be extra pissed!

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Yeeeah. She was definitely shown ripping those pages into pieces, but we never heard a flush, did we? Yet how would she get the books up into the ceiling? The trash can, despite Turner climbing on it, wouldn't really hold anyone's weight, and Beth is a full 7" shorter than Turner(yes, I looked it up!).

Good to see Ruby getting Stan out of his funk.  I loved the pink beret'd little girl scout troop, although I didn't understand why they had to go to Canada to cheer up some old folks.

Definitely heard a flush, although it was oddly quiet.  I was surprised all that paper actually went down with the flush, but I also felt like I was watching a show in an alternate universe or something since the FIRST thing the FBI/cops would've done was check out that bathroom from top to bottom.  For it to take so long and for the agent to have a lightbulb moment and take off running towards the bathroom struck me as so odd. 

20 hours ago, mansfolly said:

I think that FBI boyfriend Noah and Annie are in it together and Noah KNEW there would be no evidence during the raid...he just set it up to seem like he was doing his job. He has fallen for Annie.

I don't see that.  Annie was definitely freaked out by the idea that Noah was either an informant or undercover agent.  I really don't think he's also a plant for Rio.  I think he's just an undercover agent.  We don't really know how much Annie even told him.  They cut off the episode before she told him and didn't pick up this episode right at that point so I think she told him way too much. 

14 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Ruby's got something up her sleeve, and while I have a hard time believing she'd double cross Annie like that, I can't think of what else it could be. But she wouldn't be getting Stan's hopes up about a lawyer if she didn't have one.

I agree.  I don't like all of their decisions they've made so far, but I can't see any of them double-crossing like that.  I thought, at first, that Ruby just felt good about making a decision to be a "better person" for her daughter, but that doesn't explain where they would get the money for a good lawyer. 

8 hours ago, Trini said:

I still confused about the exact situation with Stan. What is he being charged with? And do they actually have enough evidence to convict him?

Tampering with evidence, at the very least. 

• Love 3

I appreciate that we get a little bit of Rio every episode, but I need more than that. And we can't just see him as a plot device - I also want to know more about what makes him tick. Not in one chunk, but in a consistent arc. I was looking forward to a longer, richer scene between Rio, Ruby, and Annie. I thought that dynamic could have been used better - we hardly ever see him interacting with anyone other than Beth.

The preview has me shook - whose body is that?! No one thinks they killed Rio, right?  I NEED ANSWERS. 

• Love 10
On 4/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm assuming Stan's bail was $350K since you only need 10% down. Which makes no sense because he's a cop with no priors and not a flight risk and from what we could tell they didn't even have enough evidence against him to charge him and yet clearly he was charged and bailed out. WTF?? I just don't see how they can sustain this story much longer with Turner breathing down their necks and now Stan's career seems to be over.

Am I the only one who isn't shipping Beth and Rio? The whole thing just squicks me out. 

You're not, but I can't stand the husband either. 

• Love 7

I was sad she trashed everything, she could have taken it to a "feed the homeless" place and they would have been most appreciative

Yeah that actually made me angry because it was such an enormous waste. Any homeless shelter would have been grateful to take that stuff off her hands.

So the entire FBI strike force team searches the car dealership for drugs and they never bother to look up into the ceiling? If these are the best guys Agent Turner has, Beth and her friends will get away with murder for a long time to come.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

I was rewatching an episode from the first season a couple of days ago, and Annie tells Rio a story about how Beth wanted piano lessons, so their parents spent $3000 on one for her, and then she decided she wanted to play the violin instead. That level of privilege doesn't really match up to what we saw in the recent flashbacks, but I'm going to guess that their father died or left, and their mom didn't take it well and let everything fall apart after that. Either that or Annie was just making shit up to try to appease Rio (if so, Beth played along really well, because she looked embarrassed).

If that did happen, it would explain the Beth/Annie situation.  Dad dies or leaves, mom doesn't make that much money, Beth has to step up and take on more responsibility, etc.

I am tired of the over used trope of older sibling being more responsible, younger sibling being a flighty mess.  Sometimes it works in the reverse.  A lot of younger children with older siblings who are screws up get fed the "Don't be like your sister/brother.  Do better. Blah, blah, blah."

Whatever Ruby is up to, at this point, it's actually sooooo unrealistic, with an already unrealistic premise, that Beth, Ruby, Annie and Dean keep walking away alive.

Beth should have dumped Dean, not buried her ill gotten gains in the backyard (there are so many other options), taken her children and money, left town, and started life over somewhere else.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 2

So much for my earlier theory that Turner might've been going rogue. It's clearly an official agency operation and one which seems to be really important to him.

I don't know why Noah was getting so misty-eyed when the FBI team went to take Beth down. That's how going undercover works; you have to betray people you've conned into trusting you. Is he new?

Beth should have dumped Dean, not buried her ill gotten gains in the backyard (there are so many other options), ta ken her children and money, left town, and started life over somewhere else.

Yep. Beth wants to have her cake and eat it too. She wants to live the fairy tale suburban housewife life she can't afford without pulling criminal jobs from time to time. At least she finally realized she doesn't really fit into the happy homemaker lifestyle anymore. At least not the one she had before she started pulling heists.

He has fallen for Annie.

Maybe for some temporary nookie but nah, Annie ain't all that. She's hardly worth risking a law enforcement career and prison for.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

I am tired of the over used trope of older sibling being more responsible, younger sibling being a flighty mess.  Sometimes it works in the reverse.  A lot of younger children with older siblings who are screws up get fed the "Don't be like your sister/brother.  Do better. Blah, blah, blah."

I was the older, more responsible sibling when we were kids. Now that we're older, my sister is seen as the more responsible one, but for reasons I won't go into, she isn't. As the older one, I was always told that I should know better, even if I'd never done something before, and I had nobody to model behaviour for me, but my sister would be told, "It's okay, you didn't know any better, don't do it again". I was always trying to stop her from getting into trouble, or getting hurt. 

I can't remember what I came here to say. I do remember that IMDB said we have two more episodes. There are descriptions for both (and the last one was just added in the past week, because it wasn't there the last time I checked). I can't remember everything that was said, just that

Rio apparently reminds Beth that she can't just stop working for him like that, and freaks her out? I am tired of him intimidating her.

• Love 3

I don't know why Noah was getting so misty-eyed when the FBI team went to take Beth down. That's how going undercover works; you have to betray people you've conned into trusting you. Is he new?

It always bugs me when undercover agents actually start having sex with whoever they are supposed to be investigating or watching in TV shows or in movies. It happens with some regularity, like it is part of their job to get them into bed. Noah even bragged about it to Turner and it's really kind of sick. 

By the same token I find the idea of Beth sleeping with Rio kind of sick too so I guess this show is all about the inappropriate sex. 

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, Anela said:
Spoiler

Rio apparently reminds Beth that she can't just stop working for him like that, and freaks her out? I am tired of him intimidating her.

Spoiler

From the trailer for next week, it looks like his mindset is something like, "I wish you wouldn't go, but if you really need to, I've been cleaning up a lot of your messes for you, so I'm gonna need you to finish cleaning up after yourself before you go." I could see that being an "unnerving tactic" for Beth, and I'm sure he is somewhat motivated by wanting her to have to stick around a bit more, but it's also a reasonable and pragmatic point of view for their line of work, IMO. We'll see, though. There could be more to it.

*All of the above is just about the episode description and trailer for next week's episode!

11 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

The preview has me shook - whose body is that?! No one thinks they killed Rio, right?  I NEED ANSWERS.

I think it's just Boomer's body. Rio is making them finish cleaning up their mess, since Beth wants to be "out of the business."

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, LaMatadita said:

since Beth wants to be "out of the business."

Beth wants to stop feeling like a bad person. She in no way wants out of the business. She misses Rio, and the rush, and the business.

Annie and Ruby miss the money. Annie can fake her way through a low-level crime and some lies, no problem. But I have no inclination she enjoys a life of crime. Ruby can't even steal a chapstick or follow through on any illegal activity now, despite her need for money. 

Beth? She loves it. She loves ALL of it - especially the dangerous, bad parts. She just doesn't like what that makes her, which is why she's running from it. But it's clear she has no use for her old life or anyone who represents it. In all honesty, I don't see great love for her children either. No judgment on that, but the show has gone out of its way to show how much Ruby adores her daughter and how much Annie adores Sadie. Beth's kids are peripheral most of the time and impediments to her life's enjoyment most of the time. What a weird thing for the maternal show lead. She wants to want to be a mother and wife, but she really seems to have no passion for that. 

Maybe Deansie should have kept the kids, and Beth could go roll the dice on whatever life she chooses. Not every mother is fulfilled by that title - and Beth definitely seems to fit in that minority faction. 

• Love 8
(edited)
43 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Beth wants to stop feeling like a bad person. She in no way wants out of the business. She misses Rio, and the rush, and the business.

I 100% agree with you! Saying she wanted to get out was just the most expediant language.

43 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Beth? She loves it. She loves ALL of it - especially the dangerous, bad parts. She just doesn't like what that makes her, which is why she's running from it. But it's clear she has no use for her old life or anyone who represents it. In all honesty, I don't see great love for her children either. No judgment on that, but the show has gone out of its way to show how much Ruby adores her daughter and how much Annie adores Sadie. Beth's kids are peripheral most of the time and impediments to her life's enjoyment most of the time. What a weird thing for the maternal show lead. She wants to want to be a mother and wife, but she really seems to have no passion for that. 

I also very much agree with this. I almost made a post on another site about how I feel like I don't have a solid grasp of Beth as a parent compared to the other characters. As you said, we've seen a lot of Annie and Ruby's interactions with their children. Hell, we've actually seen Rio parent his child. Twice! But Beth? No. We've seen her take care of them, with the cooking and cleaning and driving them around and tucking them in at night, but I don't feel like we've seen her parent them, as in teach them how to be humans. They just seem like props, and I'm not sure if that's intentional or not, or if the writers would be brave enough to have Beth give full custody to Dean and fully embrace a life of crime, but it needs to be addressed somehow!

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Annie and Ruby miss the money. Annie can fake her way through a low-level crime and some lies, no problem. But I have no inclination she enjoys a life of crime. Ruby can't even steal a chapstick or follow through on any illegal activity now, despite her need for money. 

Maybe Deansie should have kept the kids, and Beth could go roll the dice on whatever life she chooses. Not every mother is fulfilled by that title - and Beth definitely seems to fit in that minority faction. 

Getting out of the business ain't that easy either.  Again, Beth, Ruby, Annie, and Dean at the very least are lucky to still be alive.

If Beth got married and had children because she thought that was supposed to be what she wanted or should do or whatever, then she made the same mistake a lot of women make, and it's not that surprising she isn't happy going back to what she didn't really want in the first place.  It's sad that her other choice is the rush she gets from being a criminal.

I doubt Dean could handle the children on his own.  If Beth divorced him, gave him the kids, and the dealership, Dean would either run it into the ground again, or find another Beth ASAP to beg to marry him.

• Love 3

Beth's character arc is, almost beat for beat, the same as Nora's from A Doll's House. Wonder if, when the show ends eventually ends, they'll follow through on the parallel and

Spoiler

have her leave Dean and the kids.

• Love 3

I honestly thought Annie and Ruby were working to keep up the charade but they are broke broke?!? Ummm ok. I understand they steal to get money for things they need but if you are already stealing at least get a cushion to tide yourself over. I find it hard to believe she has to get bread out the garbage. Every dime is gone? All of it? From what I can tell

Beth caught up on her mortgage

Surgery for Ruby daughter

Bail money for Stan

What did Annie get? An iPhone and a fancy car both of which she returned. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

I'm curious about how young he was when he got started with the criminal activity, and also whether there's anything in his backstory that would explain why he developed such a soft spot for Beth. I don't think I'd want an entire episode devoted to him or his backstory--I think that would be too much info at once, and I like finding out little things here and there as Beth chips away at him--but a little more info would definitely be welcome. I have a fear (hopefully an irrational one) that they're going to use his backstory as a way to create empathy for him right before killing him off. I really, really hate that TV trope. 

I've seen a few people float the theory that Noah is Rio's mole. It kind of makes sense because such characters are often ones we already know, and the writers wouldn't have to introduce a new character. If that were the case, though, it would mean Rio knows that Annie opened her big mouth, so combined with Ruby apparently botching their smuggling job, he'd be extra pissed!

Spending $3000 on a piano because your kid took a couple of lessons would be pretty classic manic behavior actually. Its possible they weren't affluent and their mother was just bi polar. They already mentioned she was depressed. I also feel like if they were truly affluent Annie wouldn't know the price, families with real money don't ever state prices. 

• Love 6
Just now, Emily Thrace said:

Spending $3000 on a piano because your kid took a couple of lessons would be pretty classic manic behavior actually. Its possible they weren't affluent and their mother was just bi polar. They already mentioned she was depressed. I also feel like if they were truly affluent Annie wouldn't know the price, families with real money don't ever state prices.

That's a valid point. It definitely seems like their father died or left at some point, and not being able to handle their mom's mental issues seems like a believable reason why he would have left. Not a sympathetic reason because it would mean he left two children with someone he couldn't handle himself, but a reason nonetheless!

• Love 3

I think Rio's informant is Agent Turner's side-piece. They presented the boyfriend a couple of times, and Rio knows that Turner is a married man with children back home. This is based on nothing, by the way. I just love to speculate.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 3/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, Trini said:

Yes, this was the funniest part!

Oh, and I forgot to mention; Rio plays tennis? At a club? WHO is this guy?? And I assume his lawyer(!) is going to play a bigger role at some point?

He's a man of many talents.

Edited by Jazzy
edit
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I think Rio's informant is Agent Turner's side-piece. They presented the boyfriend a couple of times, and Rio knows that Turner is a married man with children back home. This is based on nothing, by the way. I just love to speculate.

I feel like the show has either forgotten about that, or retconned it since they've never brought it up again. But then again, I binged season 1, so a lot of it is a blur for me.

27 minutes ago, Jazzy said:
On 3/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, Trini said:

Yes, this was the funniest part!

Oh, and I forgot to mention; Rio plays tennis? At a club? WHO is this guy?? And I assume his lawyer(!) is going to play a bigger role at some point?

He's a man of many talents.

And thanks for reminding me of this also! The tennis thing is what made me think that we'd be learning more about Rio this season; if not his personal life, his criminal enterprises and accomplices. I wonder why they dropped this thread.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Trini said:

I feel like the show has either forgotten about that, or retconned it since they've never brought it up again. But then again, I binged season 1, so a lot of it is a blur for me.

Possibly, or it was a tiny plot point that we're meant to forget. He isn't from Detroit, he is staying in an apartment away from home. That part is canon since it was showed this season. 

Why did they show the boyfriend at all if he isn't going to matter?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Something that concerned me about the show this week was how they handled Sadie's request for puberty blockers. On the one hand it was good they are acting like it no big deal but at the same time it actually is a big deal and not like he was asking for a skateboard. Hormone blockers are serious medicine that haven't been all that well studied in trans kids.  At the very least her other parent should have been consulted. I worry that the show is going to handle the rest of Sadie's medical journey blithely and that transitioning is a forgone conclusion when really its not usually advised for kids under eighteen.  I just worry the show is going to gloss over the risks (particularly with hormone therapy) in favour of a feel good "progressive" story. I think this why I would rather the show had avoided a trans story altogether as I doubt they will pull it off effectively. I would rather not be annoyed with my light Sunday night fun show. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
47 minutes ago, used to read books said:

Not sure how I missed this, but why doesn't Beth work at the dealership anymore? She was doing so well at it!

I thought she mentioned going in, but she's not there everyday anymore.

• Love 5
(edited)

I wish we still had a forum with a spoiler thread, because the last two episode descriptions... 👀

Re: the promo for this Sunday's episode - just like with burying the money in the yard, how is burying Boomer in the yard NOT going to come back and bite them??

Next episode:

"Hunting Season"

05/12/2019

Rio uses a series of unnerving tactics to remind Beth that it's not as easy to walk away from his criminal enterprise as she'd like it to be. Meanwhile, Annie  learns something new about Noah and Ruby makes a reckless decision to save Stan.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I wish we still had a forum with a spoiler thread, because the last two episode descriptions... 👀

Right?!

scared kermit the frog GIF

I have finale speculations, but I'm waiting to see the next 2 episodes to see if they change my mind...

• Love 7

NBC schedule announcement for 2019/2020 season

Following football season, Sundays will feature a great new line-up focused on bringing women to the night. An all-new take on "Little Big Shots," hosted by Melissa McCarthy, will kick-off at 8 p.m. followed by "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist," and rounding out the night will be the third season of fan-favorite "Good Girls."

So Good Girls will keep the same timeslot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I have a metric ton of feelings I am working through about this episode, so I'm not ready to get heavy with my thoughts yet. There was a LOT there in terms of where Beth is at right now, and it was not pretty. I will say that I enjoyed the episode a lot, that it was incredibly dark in some very subtle ways, and that I was surprised at various points by the psychological twists and turns. The twist at the end was definitely not the biggest twist for me.

I can also say that I am SO PROUD OF ANNIE for finally doing something smart and tailing Noah, and then also having the good sense to tell the other two (smarter) women.

Also, this means that Rio still has Boomer, and Beth now has Mary Pat's first husband buried under her decorative kale, yes?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

You know what was interesting...I don’t know if I’m the only one thinking this, but...Beth seem to become increasingly more turned on by Rio when she saw how great of a father he is and how clean/meticulous his apartment was. 

I have a feeling Rio might give Beth, Boomers body, at the end of next week, or even find of way to dispose of Mary Pat for her.

• Love 9

"We really needed the money."  "Do you know how expensive a really good lawyer is?"

Well then damn you brain dead morons, you might have wanted to follow through on delivering the pills instead of trashing them.  {face palm}

I did find Beth's honesty about Rio amusing.  "I really enjoy having sex with him."  Hee!

It's interesting that all three women keep digging a bigger hole for themselves in different ways.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

You know what was interesting...I don’t know if I’m the only one thinking this, but...Beth seem to become increasingly more turned on by Rio when she saw how great of a father he is and how clean/meticulous his apartment was. 

Oh, 100%. I assume she had this negative perception of him in her head and then when she saw that he didn't actually fit it, it turned her on even more. He's living a double life like she is (which really shouldn't surprise her). It's like when McNulty was in Stringer Bell's meticulous book-filled apartment after Stringer was killed on The Wire.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Also, this means that Rio still has Boomer, and Beth now has Mary Pat's first husband buried under her decorative kale, yes?

Wow… I did not compute that from watching the episode. I just assumed it was another dead body of Rio’s. How did you put it together that it is her first husband? Because it was wrapped up the same way? 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

I guess I need to rewatch this one, because there were several plot points I didn't get-

• What were they doing with the coins, etc. , at the beginning? Also, that wash basket of Beth's would have been too heavy for her to even lift, much less carry out to her car.
  • Why would the store butcher staff not realize there are random dead non-food corpses in their storage room-I'm sure they do inventory, like any retail business?
  • How does Dean intend to house and feed/clothe his kids if he wants custody but is letting Beth have the house? Is he even still working?
  • Why does Rio hate color in his wardrobe? He could rock a red.
  • Why would the Girls dig such a measly grave for Boomer that a medium size dog could easily dig down to the plastic shroud? Also, that hair was longish, and black-did we ever see MaryPat's husband to know that could be his?
Edited by sempervivum
organization
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, abc123 said:

Wow… I did not compute that from watching the episode. I just assumed it was another dead body of Rio’s. How did you put it together that it is her first husband? Because it was wrapped up the same way? 

Yes, is this speculation or did I miss something?  

My favorite minor part of the episode was when the law firm admin said they had Great Lakes coffee.  For a show set in the Detroit suburbs, it feels like there aren't many Detroit shout outs so to reference my favorite regional coffee brand excited me.  

I'm glad it seems Beth is going to be honest with herself.  And even possibly with Dean.  

(edited)

This may very well be my favorite episode of the season. The biggest revelation for me was definitely the way things went down between Beth and Rio, not the twist with the body at the end. Those psychological twists and turns between them were really well done--slightly insane, but well done--and I loved how my feelings about it kept changing with each new piece of information. I started the episode thinking "Oooh, I don't know about this, mailing body parts to the woman you're into is beyond fucked up. I might be jumping off this ship." But then Beth didn't react with fear at all. She was annoyed and grossed out, but she didn't act like a woman who was being terrorized. She just marched right up to him in the park and was like, "Fine, I'm sick of this shit, what do you want." It also did not seem to dim her attraction to him at all. 

After watching him go through his day and seeing his apartment--especially that well-organized closet--it became very clear to me that Beth and Rio are, in many essential ways, the same person, and he's known it all along. Beth seems to be starting to understand it now, too. It was absolutely incredible how something as simple as seeing his home revealed so much about why Rio has been so attracted to her. These things were also earned revelations about him, IMO, because they tied in so many things about him from as far back as the beginning of the series--him letting her dog out to pee the first time he broke into her house, him getting bored waiting for her and helping her son with his homework, him looking at her marble back-splash and commenting that citrus can pit marble, the way he's always been unimpressed when she throws her motherhood in his face.

Start to finish, this was an incredible episode. I came out of it feeling like my take on Rio has been pretty spot-on since the start of the show, but it's actually Beth that I've been misjudging.  Turner really hammered it home with his little speech about how she's a bad person. After this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if she starts mailing body parts herself. Damn girl.

Also, it's morbid, but I do wonder if Rio was actually handling those body parts himself, or if he just paid someone to hack bits off and mail them. I can't imagine him messing around with that corpse if he didn't have to, but I had the impression that after she got him arrested, he kept his continued involvement with Beth on the DL because he knew his crew would question his judgment. I think the last time we saw anyone from his crew was toward the end of S1.

I'm also curious whether all of the hanging clothes in his closet that didn't really match what we see him wear (more formal and a much lighter color palette) were a deliberate clue about him, or whether it was just the set team being lazy and not wanting to move all of the clothes of the person whose apartment they were filming in. Same for the fact that his only family photos were of him with his son. Did he grow up in the foster system or something?

2 hours ago, abc123 said:

There's been fan speculation that Mary Pat killed her first husband since before she killed Boomer, and then when her kid said something about putting daddy in the freezer a few episodes ago, all that speculation started up again. Between that and the bodies being wrapped the same, that's where my head went.

Spoiler

There's also the fact that the girls track down Mary Pat in the trailer for next week, and the body at the end of this episode is the only hint as to why they might do that.

The above only refers to next week's promo, so if you've seen that, it's not spoilery.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

What were they doing with the coins, etc. , at the beginning? Also, that wash basket of Beth's would have been too heavy for her to even lift, much less carry out to her car.

They were cleaning the fake cash. Beth put $400 worth of fake cash into the coin machine at the laundromat and got back $400 in real quarters, which I assume she will then roll and take to the bank for bills (so tedious!). Annie took the donation jar's real cash and dropped in some fake cash in its place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I loved the scenes with Ruby and Stan (and later just Ruby) in the attorney’s office. It reminded me so much of the scene with Ruby with her daughter at the fancy doctor they went to last season after their first job and she was asked if cucumber infused water was okay.  

Money, even obviously crooked money, can buy a lot of privilege. And (faux) respect. 

• Love 5

It seemed like there was a lot going on in this one. I'll have to re-watch.

The Girls are truly the worst criminals! Of course they picked up the wrong body. And I don't think Annie leading Noah on is going to work out for them either.

I was waiting for a reveal about Ruby, but I guess my spec was wrong. I thought it was odd that Ruby was sure they were going to get a good (expensive) lawyer, even though she knew they couldn't afford it. I thought maybe she actually held on to the pills from last episode. Also, they showed Beth and Annie washing their share of the cash, but not Ruby.

Obviously, things aren't going to work out financially, but I hope that at least Stan can get cleared of the charges.

Beth and Dean divorcing -- I don't really want to see her family break up, but then her criminal activities aren't good for her family either. But on the other hand, looks like they're making a bigger opening for Beth+Rio.

Glad for another glimpse into Rio's (Chistopher's!) personal life, but I still want more!

However, I've got to nitpick his apartment. It was just too perfect -- in a way that says less about Rio, and more about the set designers/dressers. It looked more like furniture showroom to me; it didn't look lived in.

Oh, and Beth you can lie to Dean, but don't lie to yourself! This relationship with Rio is way more than sex!

• Love 4

Also, I know some aren't into Beth and Rio as a couple (which is fine; plenty of good reasons not to), but what makes it tolerable for me is that I don't think the show is presenting them as any sort of grand romance. They know it's messed up.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

Start to finish, this was an incredible episode. I came out of it feeling like my take on Rio has been pretty spot-on since the start of the show, but it's actually Beth that I've been misjudging.  Turner really hammered it home with his little speech about how she's a bad person. After this episode, I wouldn't be surprised if she starts mailing body parts herself. Damn girl.

Yeah, but Turner is basing this on information that he got from Mary Pat who actually is a sociopath. We've seen Mary Pat kill at least one person, take 10 minutes to calm herself, and then cavalierly cover up the death. She was the same way when she started blackmailing the girls. Meanwhile almost every crime that the girls have attempted has started with a solid 2 hours of freaking out and dithering before the crime and a solid 4 or 5 hours incompetence after the crime. Turner is just blithely takes Mary Pat's word for it. If Mary Pat's part in this is ever uncovered, Turner is going to lose his career because the only conclusion is that Turner is complicit or an imbecile. And the thing about Mary Pat killing Boomer is that had she called Turner and the police, she would have gotten away with it. Boomer was sketchy as fuck. I think he had a ton of booze in his system and he had raped her the night before. She wouldn't have been charged, but I suspect that she tried to cover it up because she had a fuckton of sketchy shit in the house that she didn't want the police or FBI to look into had she reported Boomer's death. I'm not saying Beth is a good person, but Mary Pat is one dark selfish person.

Turner is an idiot and an asshole.

Ruby and Stan don't need an expensive lawyer. They just need someone who isn't a moron. Turner has no admissible evidence.

• Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Yeah, but Turner is basing this on information that he got from Mary Pat who actually is a sociopath. We've seen Mary Pat kill at least one person, take 10 minutes to calm herself, and then cavalierly cover up the death. She was the same way when she started blackmailing the girls. Meanwhile almost every crime that the girls have attempted has started with a solid 2 hours of freaking out and dithering before the crime and a solid 4 or 5 hours incompetence after the crime. Turner is just blithely takes Mary Pat's word for it. If Mary Pat's part in this is ever uncovered, Turner is going to lose his career because the only conclusion is that Turner is complicit or an imbecile. And the thing about Mary Pat killing Boomer is that had she called Turner and the police, she would have gotten away with it. Boomer was sketchy as fuck. I think he had a ton of booze in his system and he had raped her the night before. She wouldn't have been charged, but I suspect that she tried to cover it up because she had a fuckton of sketchy shit in the house that she didn't want the police or FBI to look into had she reported Boomer's death. I'm not saying Beth is a good person, but Mary Pat is one dark selfish person.

I do think Turner is an asshole, but I feel like his assessment of Beth is based on his own experiences with her rather than Mary Pat's word. There's that whopper of a story she told him about banging Rio on the breakfast dishes in Season 1, there's the scene near the beginning of Season 2 where she basically admits to robbing the store and says she handed him Rio on a silver platter and he bungled it, and then there's the scene in 2x10 with her coming out of the bathroom and being a chirpy little smartass to him. I can see why he would have the opinion of her that he does just based on those experiences. And from a viewer perspective, I think her admission to Ruby and Annie that she gets off on the excitement and her admission to Dean that she can't quit because she's good at it and she likes it are both indications that she's on the verge of genuinely breaking bad. (Personally, I'm all for it. I don't need her to be a "good person" to like her character!)

3 hours ago, Trini said:

Also, I know some aren't into Beth and Rio as a couple (which is fine; plenty of good reasons not to), but what makes it tolerable for me is that I don't think the show is presenting them as any sort of grand romance. They know it's messed up.

I feel similarly. I don't need it to be healthy or "end game," and I'm fine with it being messy and problematic, as long as it's interesting. In terms of screen time, it's a very small part of the show, but that small part of the show involves the two characters who are most guarded with their emotions, so I think that's part of why it gets so much attention (aside from the chemistry, of course). What I'm afraid of is the writers trying to pull some kind of "Everything you thought you knew about Rio's interactions with Beth is total BS because he's actually a boring sociopath with no capacity for real emotions" move. For me, that would not feel like an earned twist, it would feel like the writers being needlessly deceptive and manipulative of viewers in a sort of gaslighting fashion, like "What you thought you saw is not what you saw, because we say so now!" I think I only worry about this because they've had so many psychological twists and turns between them this season already, so with two episodes to go, I'm not convinced they're done yet.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 4

Honestly I am not sure about the twist with the body.

i did like that the cops are starting to figure stuff out.  They are on to the counterfeiting.  Too bad that Ruby has paid for that expensive lawyer with the dirty money.   

I also like that Beth and her hubby are actually having real conversations.   I really liked when Beth just outright said she just liked having sex with Rio.  It was such a guy thing to say.  

• Love 3

I know I'm in the minority here, but I feel sorry for Annie. Yes, she's made lots of mistakes, but who hasn't? She's trying her best to provide for her and her kid, and as a single mother, that's not always easy! She's trying to find love (or at least a stable relationship), and now that she's finally found someone her and Sadie both like, she finds out there's no way she could ever be with him! As for Ruby, I really liked her at one point, but that is slowing fading away. I didn't like when she threw out all the pills without consulting Annie first, and now they're all having to pay for it. She's not the only one with problems and she needs to quit acting like she has such high morals. If that were the case, she would've never gotten involved to begin with. As far as Beth goes, I'm all for her and Rio. I can never get enough of them on my screen! I'm glad she finally threw it out there for Dean to know exactly what's going on. I do feel bad for her potentially losing her kids through the divorce though. I've read the speculation on whose body is in her backyard, but Idk. We've never even heard mention of Mary Pat's ex husband, have we? Why would he be the one buried? I feel like it should be someone we've seen and we know, at least to an extent. So glad there will be another season of this show. I'm loving it!

• Love 12

I think what I'm finding most annoying about Beth and Ruby is the "We're In, We're Out, No We're Back in, No We're Out, Wait Now We're Back In Again."  Pick a road and drive it already.  Also, if you are back in, then stop being idiots because it's a miracle that you all aren't dead or in prison at this point.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Ruby and Stan don't need an expensive lawyer. They just need someone who isn't a moron. Turner has no admissible evidence.

They need someone who can make the charges go away permanently, and I think an expensive lawyer has a better chance of making that happen. I also think this guy will be needed in the future, so might as well get the best you can afford when you can afford it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

There are some things you don’t go cheap on.  One of them is a lawyer.   

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I would hope nearly any lawyer could defend a client who has no admissible evidence against them. In fact I don't understand how this case could even go to trial. 

• Love 5