Type keyword(s) to search

Good Girls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/16/2020 at 9:03 AM, sempervivum said:

I want to lay Lucy's death at Dean's feet (because I can't stand him), but it looks like Rio was already sniffing around Lucy at the paper shop before that became a factor. 

Rio only went to the shop because Beth was late in the shipment, because Dean ruining that plate reduced their production rate by a third. It's definitely not 100% Dean's fault (Beth was the one who first roped her into the scheme), but Dean carries a good deal of culpability.

The characters benefit from over-the-top antics, like their "mystery shoppers" scam, using a school trip/bus as cover to smuggle drugs in from Canada, dragging coolers with body parts around trying to figure out how to dispose of it. This episode's bird-hostage was a fleeting reminder of that. The show's pacing otherwise just drags now. There's only so much about the money printing they can focus on, so now there seems to be a disproportionate amount of focus on their family and relationship drama instead. (Side note: Poor Ben basically stuck between living with his emotionally-stunted mom in her grubby apartment with her hobos-with-benefits hanging out outside, or with his judgemental father and step-mother, who also still deadname him. Why are all his parents in therapy when Ben probably needs that support the most?)

I definitely agree that the show needs a few more side-antagonists to keep the momentum going. Before, they had Rio, Boomer, the FBI, Dean and Mary-Pat to an extent. Now it's just Rio. The women also had more agency before, actively coming up with schemes on their own unique vantage point as middle-class mothers. While they felt they had to go down those criminal roads due to economic pressure, they still made that choice. Now they're just reacting to Rio's demands basically with a gun to their heads.

Maybe the show is just trying to be more "gritty" and "realistic," but it loses a good deal of its original charm in the process.

• Love 13

Dean lets his anger and frustration get the better of him, which is understandable, but still unhelpful. I don't know why he and Beth haven't sat down and really discussed things. As a couple they are in a decent place, and as long as they don't immediately start finger-pointing, I think they could have a productive talk. But Beth isn't helping things, either, by continuing the illegal activities. They both suck.

Edited by dubbel zout
belated spelling correction
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, WAnglais1 said:

Yeah, I don't get the Rio thing. Ooh, he's a bad boy who can kill you! Sigh.

Lucy? This made me so mad and upset I might take it off the Hulu list. I was stressed enough thinking something was going to happen to Au Jus.

These characters are all terrible people. I adore Retta as an actor, but not even her appeal can keep me watching.

I'm aware you have to buy into the world of a show, no matter how crazy it is. This is why some of my friends didn't like 30 ROCK. Still, I believe a show has to have some kind of internal logic. This one does not.

The problem is that I accepted the premise of this show being ridiculous a long time ago. I still stayed on for the chemistry between actresses. Killing that poor innocent girl and before that, taking her beloved bird makes these people evil.

She was a talented and quirky artist who did nothing wrong but work with a woman who had delusions of being a criminal mastermind. I hate the “Good Girls” now.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Trini said:
1 hour ago, Grumpymonkey said:

I read online they were shooting 13 and I don't believe they were finished before production was stopped. I guess post production or whatever it is, was only completed to episode 9. So only nine episodes might air. Unless I misunderstood.

Hmm -- I assumed they started production last summer and were already done since this is a mid-season show; I don't know for certain. But I'd be surprised if they haven't finished filming already.

I checked a couple of entertainment/industry sites that are keeping track of what shows were impacted by the shutdowns, and I didn't see Good Girls on any of those lists. I assume all their episodes are already done.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Trini said:

I checked a couple of entertainment/industry sites that are keeping track of what shows were impacted by the shutdowns, and I didn't see Good Girls on any of those lists. I assume all their episodes are already done.

I found it. Can we link to other sites like reddit?

Its Retta on her instagram story saying they were shut down and she thinks they will air what they shot but some episodes still need editing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Grumpymonkey said:

Its Retta on her instagram story saying they were shut down and she thinks they will air what they shot but some episodes still need editing.

I saw Retta's story, it was from over the weekend...I don't remember exactly what she said, but she definitely implied that they hadn't finished shooting all the episodes and that she guessed they would just air whatever they had and roll the remaining episodes into season four, if it gets picked up. Tbh she seemed very uncertain about the whole thing, like she barely knew more than we did.

But they are definitely done for the season. She also talked about having to go in to clean out her trailer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

For me, there are several big issues that this episode either highlights or creates.

1. I can see how the writers thought that having Rio kill Lucy would up the stakes and make people feel like the girls are in real danger, but instead, this made it even harder for me to believe he wouldn't just kill Beth, not just now, but at any point in their history. Why is Beth still alive when he will clearly kill someone for a lot less than the things she's done to him? Are we supposed to see this as a change in Rio rather than who he has been all along? He certainly wasn't an angel to begin with, but maybe Beth is the first person who's gotten close enough to do real damage, and that has pushed him to a higher level of ruthlessness? They haven't really given him enough character development over the course of the series for anyone to be sure, though, so I feel like they're just incapable of writing his character in a way that makes sense.

2. If they wanted to kill any lingering desire for Brio, I think this was largely successful, but it didn't just make him look bad. Beth is the one who insisted on bringing Lucy into their enterprise despite pushback from Ruby and Annie, and on top of that, she engineered poor Au Jus's birdnapping and then kept him to give to her awful kids. I haven't liked her since the S2 finale, but now I really don't like her.

3. This did absolutely nothing to fix, and in fact even highlighted, what is for me the show's biggest flaw: It relies on a problematic white feminist narrative that insists that a white suburban housewife can do crime the "good" way if the evil brown man would just get out of the way. At best, it's unrealistic, and at worst, it's offensive. I was really hoping that Rio would be out of commission for longer so we could see that a) there are other criminals out there who are just as bad as/worse than Rio (some of them might even be women!) and coming up against them is inevitable, and b) there is no such thing as a victimless crime--someone will always get hurt. Instead, she had one incident with that convict and then solved it using a nonviolent solution, further reinforcing the notion that doing crime Beth's way is a viable option, and now we're already back to Rio being Beth's biggest problem.

I definitely think it could be argued that Beth did learn that there's no such thing as a victimless crime by having their ridiculous birdnapping caper cut short by Rio's intervention and Lucy's murder, but since Rio did it, it still just reinforces the idea that Rio is the only real bad guy out there, and if he would just go away, she could lead a blissful life of crime where no one gets hurt. I don't think she's ever really going to learn that her way doesn't actually work if he's the only one doing the "teaching," so I really do hope that we're going to be introduced to his own boss or bosses soon. Beth and Rio have always driven the main plot, but at this point, having him as the only obstacle is suffocating the show. Either he needs to go, or they need to bring in a bigger bad that forces Beth and Rio to reluctantly team up.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 17

Catching up -- skipped the Annie subplots, though. Haven't watched the latest one - not sure if I want to....

Couple of things: What exactly does Rhea know about Beth? What did Rio tell her? It was unclear, and I feel this is info we should know.

I feel bad about Ruby and Stan! I'm rooting for them, but I'm pretty sure things are going to get worse for them as Ruby is still doing criminal things. Don't like that she wasn't honest about their daughter stealing and pawning the pen, but she's mainly trying to keep her own secrets safe, right? ::sigh::

I guess it was supposed to be amusing that they edited the scene of Beth showing Rio the counterfeiting process as a sex scene, but they already ruined Brio and it was at gunpoint, so, no.

Ugh - looks like Rio is going to get even less character development than last season; as noted, he's just an antagonist (or straight up enemy?) now.

It's just a shame how they've wasted Rio and Brio. I mean, 'good girl falls for bad boy' isn't new, but the twist of 'bad boy falls for married mother of four (carving out her place in his criminal enterprise)' was pretty interesting. <-- I admit I saw this take on tumblr first, but I agree with it.

• Love 5

Well that took a dark turn. It seems like it was inevitable that the girls would face some real consequences for their actions, and could even get an innocent person hurt, but this was especially brutal. Poor Lucy and her poor boyfriend. Its easy to blame this on Dean, who is a real pain in general, but this is on Beth and the others for dragging Lucy into this. Beth could have gotten out of this when she thought that Rio was dead, but she and the others kept going, even when they didnt need to. At least Au Jus made it out alright, even if I am still concerned, Beth and Dean are clearly not great pet owners. 

Poor Ben, constantly stuck mothering his hot mess mom, despite being an actual child. He is already a million times more mature than as a teen than Annie has been for her whole life. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

3.08 synopsis:

Spoiler

"NANA"

04/05/2020 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Sunday) :

Beth agrees to pick up a mysterious package for Rio in order to get back in his good graces. Just as Annie finds unexpected support from Josh, she receives devastating news about an old friend. Meanwhile, Stan has a surprise for Ruby that makes her question their involvement with crime. TV-14

There is a lot of problematic here, but I handwave a great deal b/c I think of this a bit the way I used to think about Sons of Anarchy:  It is surrealist reality.  A graphic novel.

So, yeah, I root for Rio (b/c I love Manny), and I root for the girls.  Some are easier to root for than others. Ruby is easy to root for; she struggles with all of the morality issues they have opened themselves up for, her relationship with Stan is very good, but nuanced, and she has the most compelling reasoning (IMO).  Annie makes amazingly bad decisions.  Beth is working that white lady of a certain socio-economic class privilege. 

I'm not stupid:  A man like Rio has killed a lot of ppl for no reason to get where he is.  He isn't a good guy, but no one is all good and all bad.  He's charming, hot, a good dad, smart, sees things in people (I argue that he is the most perceptive person on the show). But, he's a gansta with all the trappings.  I guess I wonder what they are willing to do to the character's narrative (b/c the writer's made him the romantic object for the main character and the network plays it up) to make us, what?  Dislike him?  Rio is compelling and part of why I watch is for him, but he needs more friction.  Whether it is his boss, his suppliers, or another gang threatening his business and, therein, the girls, I need there to be more.  

Also.  Why would Dean think that Rio plays by Dean's neat little set of suburbia rules?  Cutting that plate caused a lot of chain reaction, but the blame lies in many places:  Dean, Rio, Beth and the girls.  Poor Lucy.  And her weird bf.  And Au Jus b/c of course Beth kept him/her for her little monsters. 

• Love 7
On 3/19/2020 at 5:58 AM, LaMatadita said:

1. I can see how the writers thought that having Rio kill Lucy would up the stakes and make people feel like the girls are in real danger,

For me, this just made the show take an unwelcome 180% turn, it turned it from a dark compelling show to just dark.

• Love 11

Wow, dick move by Dean destroying that plate. What does Beth see in him?

I am over the good girls now. They got an innocent person killed and then just went on with their lives.

Wonder if this show will survive the production shut down? It's looking more and more unlikely to me with the dark turn this season has taken. At this point I'm thinking they'll have to do a "Rio has a good guy twin brother" twist or pull a Dallas and let this whole season be a dream.

• Love 3

I don't understand why Rio's henchman made the girls dig up (?) Lucy's body. And why can't he just buy a hot tub for himself?

I enjoyed Bob Clendenin (Dr. Terrence from The Closer) playing the weird therapist who mostly wants to know all about why Annie smells so delicious.

I sort of understand why old ass Beth and Ruby might not be aware, but how could Annie not know about Find My Phone?

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure after they killed Lucy (you bastards) this show jumped the shark never to return.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

Also.  Why would Dean think that Rio plays by Dean's neat little set of suburbia rules?

Because Dean is so fucking stupid, I think.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:22 PM, Stats Queen said:

For me, this just made the show take an unwelcome 180% turn, it turned it from a dark compelling show to just dark.

Yup.  No nuance or grey area.  Why would anyone want to watch?

37 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I don't understand why Rio's henchman made the girls dig up (?) Lucy's body.

The girls needed Lucy's face to get into Lucy's phone, and why would the henchman do the work FOR them?  They needed the favour from him.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 3/18/2020 at 3:30 PM, helenamonster said:

I saw Retta's story, it was from over the weekend...I don't remember exactly what she said, but she definitely implied that they hadn't finished shooting all the episodes and that she guessed they would just air whatever they had and roll the remaining episodes into season four, if it gets picked up. Tbh she seemed very uncertain about the whole thing, like she barely knew more than we did.

I don't think anyone can be certain of anything these days.

39 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I sort of understand why old ass Beth and Ruby might not be aware, but how could Annie not know about Find My Phone?

I am almost 40, and I was screaming at the girls to dump the phone so Lucy's boyfriend wouldn't trace it to Beth's house.

Also, the face ID on my work phone doesn't recognize me when I try to use it before I've brushed my hair and put on makeup, because that's what I looked like when I set it up. I'm surprised the one on Lucy's phone still recognized her.

I think Beth is on very thin ice first with not being able to print and then claiming the price of ink went up. I'm sure Rio will sooner or later figure out her end-to-end process and move it "in house" after which he won't need her anymore. Not only does he not like Beth having one over on him, the store being a single point of failure is a huge business risk. 

• Love 5

I don't have any problem bailing out on tv shows. I quit watching shows all the time and never look back.  So why, I'm asking myself, am I still watching this dreck?

They've ruined Manny. He used to be layered. And interesting. Not any more. Beth is just More Beth and there was IMO nothing likable about Beth ever so More Beth is just Too Much Beth. In the first 2 seasons there was something elusive about Annie that was almost likable. Maybe it was the way she supported Ben. And she could be funny. Again IMO. But all that is gone. Ben needs to go live with his dad and Annie needs to go away. (Also ugh to the stupid "cute" therapist for caving to her.) Ruby has always been portrayed as a good mother. A great mother even. Now, all of a sudden, she's making choices that could irreparably damage her daughter's life. And why?

Still I watched.

Then Lucy happened. And this week Manny threatened Max. Max is the human equivalent of a sad puppy. And I actually believed Beth would cave and give Manny the information about Max.

The final straw was when they had the audacity to suggest Au Jus has birdy cancer as part of a dark (unfunny) joke.

The only thing good about this episode was the final 15 seconds.

EDIT: Sorry. I keep calling him Manny. Of course I mean Rio. My brain is melting.

Edited by zibnchy
Manny? Rio? Actor? Character?
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I don't understand why Rio's henchman made the girls dig up (?) Lucy's body. And why can't he just buy a hot tub for himself?

I enjoyed Bob Clendenin (Dr. Terrence from The Closer) playing the weird therapist who mostly wants to know all about why Annie smells so delicious.

I’m 42 which is supposed to be around Beth‘s and Ruby’s age, and my peers and I are well aware of tracking devices. When Max first went to the card store to look for Lucy, I was wondering why he didn’t mention he had tracked Lucy’s phone to the store and figured they hadn’t set that up as a couple (although that would have been hard to believe).

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm pretty sure after they killed Lucy (you bastards) this show jumped the shark never to return.

I think they jumped the shark in the last few episodes of S2, especially the finale...

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yup.  No nuance or grey area.  Why would anyone want to watch?

3 hours ago, zibnchy said:

They've ruined Manny. He used to be layered. And interesting. Not any more.

Mileage will vary, but I thought there was a lot of nuance in the first scene with Beth and Rio. I think that was the longest, most significant conversation they've had this season. There were a lot of meaningful pauses, too, and despite the "It's just business" talk, he seemed pretty unhappy and was definitely not cracking jokes about it. He also had a hard time even looking at Beth, which was interesting, especially for a guy people love to slap the sociopath label on. I almost think they brought Mick back to the show just to provide a contrast to Rio in scenes like this. Mick pulled the trigger and he was just happily smacking away at those ribs. 

ETA: I also thought there was a subtle vibe that Rio is answering to someone the way Beth is answering to him, but maybe I was imagining it.

And did anyone else think Ruby seemed really off in this episode? She was so caught up in what was happening with Stan that it almost seemed like she didn't actually care about Lucy's death, and most of her comments sounded like she was just annoyed that they had more reason to be afraid now, not saddened that a young woman lost her life. Maybe she was just secretly glad to have Stan's meeting as a distraction, but something about her just didn't feel right to me in this episode, and she's usually a pretty solid anchor of relatable humanity.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, LaMatadita said:

And did anyone else think Ruby seemed really off in this episode? She was so caught up in what was happening with Stan that it almost seemed like she didn't actually care about Lucy's death, and most of her comments sounded like she was just annoyed that they had more reason to be afraid now, not saddened that a young woman lost her life. Maybe she was just secretly glad to have Stan's meeting as a distraction, but something about her just didn't feel right to me in this episode, and she's usually a pretty solid anchor of relatable humanity.

Yeah she was completely out of it.  After they dug up Lucy she suggested that Stan should wear khakis and a sweater.  She's totally checked out of reality.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I always enjoy seeing Bob Clendenin, but I hated his character. I know both the weird therapists were so Annie would go back to seeing the kid therapist, but I hated those scenes. 

2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She's totally checked out of reality.

Can you blame her? She's digging up bodies to get a face image to open a dead woman's phone. Her life has gone completely off the rails.

Ruby is the only one I want to survive this. Beth is super annoying, and Annie still gets on my last nerve with her idiocy.

The scene in the elevator with Dean and Max was very good. Just when I think I'm ready to dump this mess of a show, it gives me something like that.

• Love 3

I think I have an incredible disconnect with the horrible way they killed Lucy on the show and ruined her boyfriend's life and still continued with their stupid supposed to be funny "aren't we adorable" banter.

Does Beth really think she can control the situation and guide this horror into a good outcome? I really hate that she even stole poor woman's bird. Why the hell are they not going to the police? They would probably get light sentences for turning in Rio's operation.

Also, murdering Lucy is not way that Annie can "meet cute, again" go back to the handsome therapist, which we all know she is going sleep with.

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Why the hell are they not going to the police?

I asked myself this very question, too. I could hand wave them not going to law enforcement during the first two seasons, but now with Lucy's murder, for them to think they can stay ahead of things is completely ridiculous. There would still be a show if they decided to go to the police—they could be setting up Rio for the big arrest (assuming he's not some sort of FBI CI or something; that hasn't been resolved yet)—and continue their printing and stuff. 

They're all pretty irredeemable at this point, so a sop to making them more rootable would be nice.

• Love 3

Why am I still watching this? It used to be fun, but that part of the show is obviously over. 

One problem I have with this show is that I feel like I watch the same thing over and over. Three dummies with money problems (get in line, ladies) turn to a life of crime and are in over their heads. They had an opportunity to get clear, but dove back in with gusto. Now we’re supposed to feel sorry for them that everything turned dark again. Screw that. They knew how bad things could get, and went back to their criminal lifestyles, anyway. Now I have to watch Beth do her big blinky eyes in every scene, Annie doing her eyes filled with tears twitchyness, and Ruby being sad constantly. Stan shouldn’t be a cop; his wife is a criminal! And what kind of police board wouldn’t listen to his wife going on about wanting a life of crime and not see that as a huge red flag?

Lucy was the only likable character on this show. I was hoping she’d be at least a semi-regular. Instead, these women got her killed by involving her in an illegal enterprise that she wasn’t remotely interested in. Then they stole her bird. Then they faked her leaving town so that she would never be mourned or give her friends and family closure. These women really suck. I have no sympathy for them. Go to the police already and do your time. I honestly believe that’s how this series should end.

• Love 8

I am trying to look at this show like a sort of hyper reality, but its hard when I am getting so much tonal whiplash every five seconds. Its really hard going from Lucy dying and her boyfriend being heartbroken while he tries to find her and is clearly worried she is hurt (which she very much is) to funny banter between the girls, it just isn't working the way it used to. It isn't enough of a hyper reality for me to appreciate the disconnect and the dark comedy. 

I did actually like the bit where Annie was freaking out at the other therapist and saying how she kept picturing Lucy's laundry and her Instagram and her fancy make up she will never get to use, it seemed like an actually real moment. Then of course she ends up back with her hot shrink, who will inevitably fall for Annie, because Annie secretes pheromones or something and causes all men to fall in love with her for no reason. 

Oh Beth, why would you tell Rio about the boyfriend looking for his missing girlfriend!? How did you NOT see that coming at this point? Why not give Rio the poor guys name, social security number, and a picture of his face with a bulls-eye on it? For something who thinks that she is so smart, she does a lot of really stupid stuff. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Can you blame her?

No?  Why would I?  I was agreeing with @LaMatadita

The scene with the therapist was grossssssssssss but it's a way more realistic portrayal of therapists than what "This is Us" is currently doing.  "This is Us"'s view of therapy is the therapist is always right and you are always wrong if you don't like your therapist.  "Good Girls" view of therapy is sometimes you find a match and there are a lot of bad apples out there.  In my experience, this show has it right.  Of course, Annie and the therapist have sexual tension which is not ideal, but as a lot of us know about transference, it does happen.  The therapist shouldn't really treat her if Annie is attracted to him, but I get why Annie went back.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am trying to look at this show like a sort of hyper reality, but its hard when I am getting so much tonal whiplash every five seconds. Its really hard going from Lucy dying and her boyfriend being heartbroken while he tries to find her and is clearly worried she is hurt (which she very much is) to funny banter between the girls, it just isn't working the way it used to. It isn't enough of a hyper reality for me to appreciate the disconnect and the dark comedy. 

I did actually like the bit where Annie was freaking out at the other therapist and saying how she kept picturing Lucy's laundry and her Instagram and her fancy make up she will never get to use, it seemed like an actually real moment. Then of course she ends up back with her hot shrink, who will inevitably fall for Annie, because Annie secretes pheromones or something and causes all men to fall in love with her for no reason. 

Oh Beth, why would you tell Rio about the boyfriend looking for his missing girlfriend!? How did you NOT see that coming at this point? Why not give Rio the poor guys name, social security number, and a picture of his face with a bulls-eye on it? For something who thinks that she is so smart, she does a lot of really stupid stuff. 

Also, does Lucy not have any family? They made a joke about her not having any friends but she seemed like a very sweet, quirky, and talented girl, who a lot of people would like.

I guess it is going to come down to Rio shooting all of Beth's children in their sleep before she finally takes responsibility for any of her actions.

• Love 8

I feel like the tonal whiplash has always been integral to this show--if anything, I felt it had gotten too dark and needed some of its trademark zaniness to balance things out. When you've got scenes like the girls digging up Lucy to unlock her phone, then I feel like I also need Rio's henchman being really into hot tubs, or Max getting closer to the truth by whistling to Au Jus.

Speaking of hot tubs, whatever happened to the Ione Skye subplot? Is she gone?

18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was wondering whether or not it would come up...I'm single, but is it normal for couples to be able to use Find My Phone on each other's devices? Cuz if I ever end up in a Lucy situation, nobody's gonna be able to find me that way.

• Love 5

I got my husband to binge watch the first two seasons and we’ve been watching new episodes the following evening after they aired. After dinner tonight he said - want to watch Jack Ryan - we’ve been binge watching that - and I said we have a new episode of Good Girls and the look he gave me was: “no I don’t and why would you want to.” I just said it just turned dark and we’re out (it is hard to find shows he’s interested in watching).

yeah, we’re done. Lucy was awesome

Edited by Stats Queen
Missing words matter
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Charmie said:

I’m 42 which is supposed to be around Beth‘s and Ruby’s age, and my peers and I are well aware of tracking devices. When Max first went to the card store to look for Lucy, I was wondering why he didn’t mention he had tracked Lucy’s phone to the store and figured they hadn’t set that up as a couple (although that would have been hard to believe).

I'm around their age, too, and I've used "find my phone" several times, because I lose it around the house, and don't have the ringer turned on. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm around their age, too, and I've used "find my phone" several times, because I lose it around the house, and don't have the ringer turned on. 

I think you are my kindred spirit

Edited by Stats Queen
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Anela said:

I've used "find my phone" several times, because I lose it around the house, and don't have the ringer turned on. 

You have to have the app turned on, though, right? Though given how smothering Lucy's boyfriend is, I'm not surprised hers was on. They seem like that sort of couple.

This weekend my mom misplaced her phone and instead of wasting time looking for it, she was going to call it. She knows it's in the house somewhere, LOL.

• Love 3

How long would this phone keep a charge? And if it dies, how would you recharge it? My iPod makes you enter the security code to recharge if it's been unplugged for a few hours.

I hate all these people. Stick a fork in me.

• Love 2

If they made Rio a straight up villain I wouldn’t have a problem with him.   My huge issue is that he is STILL a romantic foil for Beth.  Heck there are still people out there perfectly ok with him killing Beth Annie and even Ruby and having this be a buddy show between Rio and Stan.   Because they’re cuuuutteeeee!     

This show would work a lot better for me if it was clear they were adversaries    Even if Rio was sticking around for awhile.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I see the show still requires the audience to suspend disbelief to the Nth degree.  The boyfriend, being as worried as he was, WOULD have used find-a-phone immediately.  More believable that he would have tracked the phone and appeared on Beth's doorstep asking about his girlfriend.  The day of her disappearance he was buying her feminine products and she praised him to her friends (Beth and group) for it.  That's next level and there no way he would just accept that she left without a face-to-face goodbye.

Show is floundering.  It is bending itself into pretzels justifying Rio not killing Beth and friends.  Ruby's story is kind of dumb too.  Stan needs to pull the trigger or accept his wife's life as a criminal.  What does he think Ruby is doing when she is goes out at night?  Don't think the nail salon is open and she doesn't have a night job.  Bringing the daughter into it, and the way she is being written, is plain stupid.  At least the the son isn't irritating.  Although, all the kids are just window dressing.

Said it before, something needs to happen.  And, it can't be as silly as killing Lucy for shock value.  Killing her has the opposite effect for me as it makes the writers seem desperate.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

If they made Rio a straight up villain I wouldn’t have a problem with him.   My huge issue is that he is STILL a romantic foil for Beth.

The writers are obsessed with using him symbolically--he's the face of Beth's relationship with crime, a constant temptation. I don't like the idea of him just being a cardboard villain because I think that narrative skirts a little too close to racism. I think the bigger issue is that Beth needs to figure out what she wants. If she wants to be a good person, she can't be a criminal, and if she wants to be a criminal, then she can't be a good person. It's one or the other, and Rio is the physical manifestation of that choice, which is why he's not going anywhere and will always be a temptation for Beth. I don't necessarily like that they've set up their relationship to function this way because I think it locks Beth into always seeing him as her only obstacle and makes their back and forth feel like coyote and roadrunner going in circles, but he serves a purpose that goes beyond fanservice.

• Love 9

S3E3 I hate that even when Rio/Christopher should be back for vengeance, he's still treated less like a violent criminal and more like a bad ex-boyfriend.

They've told us that Beth's superpower is lying. Her magical lie this episode was just blurting out that she was pregnant. Yet when Dean found the pregnancy tests, she had nothing. Come on. It's easy. Just say you were feeling insecure and thought a baby might strengthen the relationship. And shift the focus on him with the hair dye so he feels guilty about the woman at work. I'm not even digging deep. This is soap opera writing 101. 

How many people are they going to waste their money on? Mary Pat? Boomer? Now this guy. If you teach people that you think you can just pay for your problems to go away, they will keep trying to take advantage of you. Put aside the criminal aspect, Beth just can't run a business. She has a bad understanding of people and a terrible management style. 

Christ. I was prepared to be horrified that Beth was now in a situation with an OB/GYN who was prepared to ignore her and prioritize her prior relationship with Rio/Christopher. But then she lied and covered for her. But only because Rio's ex asked her to. Which is also SUPER unprofessional. This show is a mess. 

• Love 1

So, just watched the "Au Jus" episode, and yeah, it takes the show from dark comedy to just dark. I blame the Girls for roping Lucy into their scheme which led to Rio murdering her. They've done a lot of bad things, but I feel like both they and the show have crossed a line.

I'm sure the goal was to up the stakes, and it did; but now I feel like the only way to resolve this Rio situation is to kill him for real this time. (The FBI/police seem to be off the table.)

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Trini said:

Also, did they lose the actor that plays Stan and Ruby's son? I don't think he has appeared this season yet.

He was in this week's episode.  There was a scene where he was caught playing with Ruby's phone in bed.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 3:20 AM, Charmie said:

When Max first went to the card store to look for Lucy, I was wondering why he didn’t mention he had tracked Lucy’s phone to the store and figured they hadn’t set that up as a couple (although that would have been hard to believe).

My husband and I don't have it set up on our phones. I don't even turn on my Location Services unless I absolutely need to. I have issues with privacy. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 4

So Lucy gets killed in front of the women and Beth decides skimming some money off the top is the way to go? I can't with this show anymore. Nothing is happening. Not even Ruby and Stan can save this show.

Given the total lack of comments about last night's episode, I guess everyone else feels the same way, LOL.

• Love 5

That was a pretty action-packed episode: revealing Lucy's death to Max, training him to be an assassin(!), trying to arrange a robbery and Ruby getting shot, Stan getting involved with some shady stuff with the hookers strippers, the skimming situation, Dean deciding to take over the hot tub place, Rio cleaning out Beth's house, etc, etc. 

Best part: the cute kids want a pet snake so they can feed it rabbits.

• Love 3

The best part was the kids wanting a pet snake. Pet snakes are cool! 

So, can I just go ahead and kill Rio? This is just getting ridiculous, Rio and the Girls cant keep co-existing like this, its just straining credibility that he keeps not killing them and they keep not killing him or calling the cops or anything. 

The whole situation at the robbery was kind of funny too in the levels of ridiculous that just keep going up, but that is still a problem with the show at this point. The tonal whip lash is just so hard to deal with now, jumping from horrible murders to dark comedy hijinks and back and fourth. 

• Love 5

So, I gathered Beth, Dean and the kids had just went somewhere for a little bit.  How does one take every single item in a house that quickly.  Yeah, I know it's all so far-fetched, but that part really took me out of it.  It's sad when a show I actually liked is starting to suck. :)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Dean deciding to take over the hot tub place,

Can someone explain what Dean did there?  Who was he calling before Ione Skye interrupted him?  I get that he's blackmailing her, but what was he doing or trying to do?

Also how is Beth stealing from Rio?  I can't really follow anything.

There were two lines that Stan said that I had to rewind about 6 times.  I still don't understand one of his lines.  He speaks way too fast and mumbles.

I truly don't like this show anymore 😞.   This season has been bad.

Are we supposed to swoon that Beth is trying to sleep with Dean after he signed her death warrant?  What the hell was that?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4