Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Mingling Its Own Nature With It

I liked this, but I feel like I'm not enjoying this season as much as the first, and I think it's because there's too much Sarah and not enough of the other clones. Sarah is the least-compelling of the lot, for me, and I'm getting tired of watching her run from one place to another. The show's not slow or boring, by any means, but I would just rather see more of Alison or Cosima than the 5-10 minutes we're getting. At least now that Kira's with her dad (who I liked; I always enjoyed him on Nashville, too), maybe the story back at home can move forward some more.

• Love 2
(edited)

I LOVED hearing Felix tell Sarah that Alison needed him, so glad he said that because it made me feel better about him leaving her last ep. Then I felt bad for him when his voice got all high and cracked as he started to cry. Was not expecting that!

That was pretty funny hearing Angie call Helena "Shakira haired"... I laughed out loud.

Nasty stuff watching Delphine and Cosima pulling Jennifer's intestine and such

(it's Jennifer right?)

Poor Helena. If she was on her game she would have given cowboy guy a good headbut

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Cal can stay, Paul can go.

I do agree about the episode being too Sarah-centric, but I feel (hope) that they're laying the groundwork for bigger stuff for the other clones later in the season. Much like season one, the first few episodes were almost solely centered on Sarah. But Helena is a ticking timebomb, Alison just exploded, and Rachel is almost a blank canvas. So I'm expecting more exploration of those plots as the season progresses.

Though I think that Cosima's storyline is especially thin, and there's really not many places they can go with 'let's find a cure for me'. It's a lot of sciencey work, not a lot of action.

I'm not too worried about the Sarah-centric stuff just because her story is sort of the netting that the other storylines are entangled in.

Though I think that Cosima's storyline is especially thin, and there's really not many places they can go with 'let's find a cure for me'. It's a lot of sciencey work, not a lot of action.

I don't think it's necessarily thin, but I do think it's the most direct/clear cut plot: Find A Cure. So, there's not a whole lot of twisty ZOMG stuff that's going on. I'm willing to bet that the Find A Cure/DYAD stuff plays a bigger role as the season goes on though. At least I hope so because I love that kind of shit.

This. This x1,000.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hey, it's Liam from Nashville!  Or Daario 2.0., from Game of Thrones.  Yeah, I've been seeing Michiel Huisman a lot this year.  Got to give the guy credit for not only getting a lot of work, but being on two of the, IMO, best sci-fi/fantasy genre shows out right now.  And, I thought he was pretty good as Cal.  I figured he was going to be Kira's dad (unless, Sarah is lying, but I really hope not), and I'm guessing this won't be the last of him.  If nothing else, it looks like Kira is still with him, while Sara gets out of this pretty ugly situation.  I wonder who wrecked into him?  A hell of a way to end the episode.

Oh, Alison.  You are just falling apart.  Not a good idea to get drunk off your mind, before opening night.  Although, I'm sure everyone is going to remember that performance, but not for the reasons she wanted them to.  But I did love that Felix was there for opening night.  Him leaving Sarah was heartbreaking, but I can understand why, and I can also understand why he's frustrated over all the secrets she is keeping from him. But I hope we're getting more Alison/Felix in the upcoming episodes.

Ha, I love that Alison thought Angie was another monitor.  I wonder if anything will come out of her telling Cosima to keep her eye on Delphine, because of that, or she will tell Cosima that Angie was actually a cop.  Angie continuing to go after this is interesting, but could be very, very dangerous.

Speaking of dangerous, Art investigating the religious cult could get very dicey.  Especially since Helena is there.  And, she's part of the family!  That whole thing just make me feel uneasy.  But I have a feeling Helena isn't going to be embracing this "family", that easily.

Cosima and Delphine operating on Jennifer/new clone's corpse was something.  I bet that had to be extremely fucked up for Cosima.  And, I guess we can add funny and decent Matt Frewer impersonations to the list of things Tatiana excels at.  When the show gets to the "jump the shark" phase, they can save that for the "body-swapping" episode, heh.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4

If Helena breaks loose from the Creepy Big Love Ranch, Angie is going to be in for a world of hurt and death for fucking with "sestra."

BTW: I looked up "sister" in Ukrainian and it is indeed "sestra." It's not merely Helena's accented English like I originally thought.

(edited)

I can't believe I'm asking this, but where is Paul supposed to be again? Woo hoo, two eps in a row he's not in,and I didn't even see him in the "next on..."

When Cosima got a call on her cel while she and Delphine were investigating Jennifer insides, did she tell D that it was her mom on the phone? Did I hear wrong?

And, I guess we can add funny and decent Matt Frewer impersonations to the list of things Tatiana excels at.

Was that who's voice she was doing? It was a funny kind of voice but I really didn't know who it was supposed to be...if anyone!   I'll have to listen again.

Edited by Valny
did she tell D that is was her mom on the phone

Yes. Cosima apparently does not trust Delphine, even before hearing Alison say not to. I'm glad. Whether Delphine can be trusted or not, I like that Cosima is cautious.

Poor Helena.  From one crazy abusive situation to the next.  I just want to take her and hug her.  She would probably kill me, but still I want to.  She has probably never had anyone that really loved her. 

They need to quit putting Kira in danger.  I love this show, it is probably my favorite on the air right now, but that will get really old soon.  I generally don't like kids in danger story lines.  They seem too manipulative.

I was hoping Allison would get through the show when she saw Felix, but it didn't seem to help.  And I did not like the shot of her neck all bent after she fell.  Also, about the contract she signed, not that it was ever legal or enforceable, but now that she know she has a monitor, and that they broke the contract, what can she do?  What was the point of signing a contract that was unenforceable in the first place, but also leaves her powerless when it is broken? 

• Love 1

Yes. Cosima apparently does not trust Delphine, even before hearing Alison say not to. I'm glad. Whether Delphine can be trusted or not, I like that Cosima is cautious.

Yeah, I was pretty relieved by that, too, especially after that comment about forgetting that Delphine's her monitor.  I tend to think that Delphine does, ultimately, have Cosima's best interests in mind, but I still wouldn't exactly trust her, particularly where the other clones are concerned.  Like, I know she said that the Jennifer thing had just come to her attention, but in 2x01, she mentioned that Cosima's symptoms were the same as "the other two," so she had to have been at least aware of her for some time.  I'm not sure what her motivation was for that, but it still makes her seem shifty.

Also, that whole conversation between Allison and Cosima was so frustrating (like, in a good way), because Cosima still hasn't told them that she's sick, which means she needs DYAD, whether she trusts them or not, but then Allison thinks it's just another person being dismissive of her, which is totally the last thing she needs.  I just really want to two of them to get high together and talk it all out.  

So many of my pet theories got destroyed tonight but I'm not unhappy. Felix belatedly chose Allison, someone who doesn't manipulate, lie to, and abandon him all the time and I was so happy that he did. I hope she'll forgive him for that lapse.

As for Kira and Cal, can't quite decide who is cuter.

I just really want to two of them to get high together and talk it all out.

That would be awesome. Can Felix have sharesies?

• Love 1

For me, this show gets better and better.

Poor Helena. If she was on her game she would have given cowboy guy a good headbut

I'm hoping that opportunity is just around the corner. Nothing was "consumated" yet, right?

Meh. He missed a chance at a head shot to the cylon when Sarah got in the car and he was outside it. Plus, did y'all catch what line of work he was in previously? Not just drone tech, but if I heard correctly, the tech was for artificial bee genetics or pollinating or something.

Thuganomics, I'd say Tatiana's Matt Frewer impersonation was spot on.

• Love 1

Agree, shapeshifter. Why didn't Cal take the clear shot at the "federal agent"? Aargh. Otherwise, I adore Cal... And I wonder if we have seen the full extent of the seemingly magical powers of insight and empathy from dear Kira. Is she like Bo on Believe? Or is she just a hyper-evolved human?

I want to kidnap Helena (safely) and deprogram her. Poor fish. That clone needs hugs. So many hugs.

Allison's fall off the stage was horrifying and hilarious. Glad Fe is there for the assist next week. A will need her acting coach more than ever after such a tragic mishap on opening night.

(edited)

Cal was using his bee drones to fill in where the real bee population had crashed, thus he was artificially pollinating crops where there were no local bees to do so. In the real world, there is a major crisis with the bee population declining (look up "colony collapse disorder"), which means that agriculture as we know it would simply come to an end. Seriously, it's a huge, huge problem. The people I know who are working to solve it are trying to restore the bee population, rather than replace it with drones, but as far as it goes, Cal is in a peaceful business of helping crop production. He did say that the technology he uses was sold to the military for nefarious purposes, and he mumbles and talks too fast so I couldn't tell if he himself had sold it to them, or if he had developed it and then it was sold to the military by someone else (perhaps by his employer or whatever institution funded his research and development costs). I had a roommate years ago who was studying physics and was afraid she was going to have to choose between her career and working for the military (she was a died in the wool pacifist from a Quaker family). This is the sort of dilemma many scientists are facing, since funding for research is dependent heavily on military channels in many fields. It seemed like Cal was disgusted with the way things turned out for his artificial bee design, and he definitely said he doesn't work for those people anymore.

I thought he didn't shoot the kidnapper because Sarah was yelling at him not to.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

I still think that the twist with Kira was that she was "immaculately" conceived.  Cal may have been around during the time Sarah would have become pregnant, but that doesn't mean he's the father.

(edited)

He did say that the technology he uses was sold to the military for nefarious purposes, and he mumbles and talks too fast so I couldn't tell if he himself had sold it to them, or if he had developed it and then it was sold to the military by someone else

He said his business partners took the technology and sold it to the military, so he was bee-trayed by them.

I thought he didn't shoot the kidnapper because Sarah was yelling at him not to.

I must have missed that, but otherwise had no idea why he didn't shoot. It seemed almost too obvious that Daniel was isolated for a few seconds after Sarah got in the car, and Cal would have had a clear shot.

They need to quit putting Kira in danger.  I love this show, it is probably my favorite on the air right now, but that will get really old soon.

What was it, at least three times this episode that Sarah (and Felix, and Cal) let Kira wander off on her own, and I kept saying, "Don't let her get out of your sight, come on!" And of course, the last time, she gets snatched.

I also loved Cosima's Matt Frewer impression, and I'm guessing that having Angie refer to Helena as Shakira was pure fanservice.

Edited by beedub
  • Love 4

Thanks to the poster in that one shot, I just learned that Allison's play is a real thing. I wonder if anyone on Orphan Black was also involved in Blood Ties.

And I have my answer.

Blood Ties: The Musical

Part of John and Graeme’s vision this season was to have Alison in a musical. It was an Orphan Black must. However, finding the right musical proved difficult. Luckily, our assistant Mackenzie had just worked on Blood Ties and brought it to the table. Although it wasn’t Grease, when we all heard Blood Ties for the first time, we knew it was the perfect mirror for Alison’s troubles – MURDER. Plus it was campy and catchy as hell

Other than Sarah Stubbs, the director, and Alison, the actors in the musical were cast because they had all been in the show before. In fact, the piano player and the blonde Kelsey, Anika Johnson and Barbara Johnston respectively, are the creators of the show. They had all just come back from performing Blood Ties at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and had a blast adapting and performing the show on Orphan Black.

In the scenes of rehearsals of Alison’s play, Tatiana’s singing was recorded live for authenticity even though she was prerecorded for safety. The ensemble was also live, although the piano was not. In both cases, Tatiana and the ensemble wear earbuds to hear the piano playback. If they show on-camera, visual effects paint them out. Stay tuned for more of the musical in coming episodes!

• Love 1
(edited)

The letting Kira wander off completely unsupervised bit drove me nuts. Sarah obviously attended the Lori Grimes school of parental supervision.

Cal is definitely a huge improvement over Paul. I hope Helena murderizes the creepy big love family soon.

Alison's stage fall looked painful.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 2

"FFFFFFFF... Fishticks!" Poor Alison still can't say the word, unless she's completely hammered. Angie didn't get very far with her, did she? But then Alison is completely paranoid and she wasn't exactly subtle.

Please, don't hurt Art! I love him, but I fear that someone, either the DYAD or the Prolethians, is going to kill him for helping the clones.

Mr. Pollinator is not exactly my type, but he's so much better than Paul it's embarrassing. He has more chemistry with Sarah too. He can stay, as long as he becomes part of the story, meaning, as long as he goes to Toronto and joins in the action.

It was a good episode, but the drama surrounding Kira is the least interesting for me and unfortunately it took the larger part of the episode. It doesn't look like they'll ever stop using Kira In Danger as a plot device and I'm already bored with it.

Cosima working at the DYAD to find a cure could get old soon if the only thing she does is stay in the lab. I like that she has some agency in what's happening to her, but it's starting to feel claustrophobic. I hope there is some more action for her coming up, either by discovering more nefarious DYAD stuff or by joining the other clones in some wacky shenanigans.

Fishy Cult Leader doesn't know the mess he got himself in. I can't wait for Helena to teach them all a few very painful lessons.

That would be awesome. Can Felix have sharesies?

Naturally.

Fishy Cult Leader doesn't know the mess he got himself in. I can't wait for Helena to teach them all a few very painful lessons.

Yeah, unless he's planning to keep her perpetually drugged up, I can't see this ending well for really anyone on that compound.  Then again, keeping her perpetually drugged up could very well be their plan, so...

Re: Not taking the shot. Consider who this guy is - Sarah ripped him off for ten grand, and on seeing her again, he is *still* nice to her. He is a techie that got booted from the company he founded because he was not cool with taking a military contract, and his original goal was to solve an agricultural problem. 

I'm thinking he is not exactly the guy most likely to solve problems with lethal force. Track your phone down and call the cops is more likely. Heck, odds are that at least one major reason he didn't take that shot is that he can't shoot worth a damn, and just keeps that gun around to chase off deer and other varmits by shooting at the ground. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I can't put my finger on it exactly, but something about this episode felt off. It was all sort of more hmmm depressing? There was some funny lines here and there, but the overall mood felt pretty heavy.

The actor for Cal is better than DB/Paul but the character didn't really catch my interest. At least Paul got some plot possibilities that I am somewhat interested in. I guess Cal's background in (bio?) tech will come into play, because he gotta be more than white hunky surprise daddy with a riffle.  For Cal/Sarah as a couple I did not get much in a sense of a connection between them but maybe some more scenes will help with that. It was nice however to learn more about how Sarah used to operate, and that she does carry some regret from back then. I don't know why, but I got the impression from season 1 that Sarah was pretty cold towards her marks since she used to run with an asshole like Vic and scam people for money.

I loved seeing Sarah and Felix act like siblings with the teasing and how they were together. I am also just constantly in awe of how flawless Jordan's skin looks.

The DYAD part is short but a lot of stuff was shown in such a short time. When in the start Delphine  was pretty muted to Cosima's playfulness, I knew something was up. I think Delphine is definitely pushing for Cosima to take this all more seriously, because she does not think Cosima has been. Then again she is also bounching between the role of girlfriend and being Cosima's doctor. It left some of the interaction feeling a bit chaotic. Like she tries to cut  Cosima off from watching the worst of the video (the part where Jennifer says she is going to die at DYAD), but she is also sorta of testing to see if Cosima is game for the autopsy, and seemed somewhat pleased that Cosima was more serious. Then during the autopsy she had to play teacher to Cosima, and try to catch her up.

I wonder if the infertility of most of the clones is related to the lung disease. I don't think it was for nothing or just the fertility question that they had Delphine point this out exactly to Cosima.

The Helena stuff is creepy, but I feel it is rather slow. I hope next week it will speed up, because so far not much was established with them this episode that we didn't know in the last or could figure out. It is obvious the daughter is going to make a move somehow. I hope there will be more to this storyline besides religious people caging Helena -> leader marries her -> Helena FUBAR's them -> runs.

For Alison, I just feel sorry for her but on the other hand good on her to be having none of Angela's shit. I do wish she did not inadvertently tip her hand so much though.

I am really looking forward to the next episode. The description sounds great but also several critics that got the first 4 episodes sent, have been talking about episode 4 as something special.

she mentioned that Cosima's symptoms were the same as "the other two," so she had to have been at least aware of her for some time.

It was the video diaries that she said she had just found out about and thought that Cosima should see, not Jennifer per say.

Edited by Riful
Cal was using his bee drones to fill in where the real bee population had crashed, thus he was artificially pollinating crops where there were no local bees to do so.

And Cal was also able to pollinate Sarah! Maybe all Helena needs is some special artificial pollination techniques from Cal.

Poor Felix. While I totally believe that it's okay not to share every detail and secret of your life, even with your best friend, there's a difference between withholding information and flat out lying. She led Felix to believe that she didn't know who Kira's father was, which was a lie, when she knew it was Cal all along. I can understand why Felix is upset that she deceived him.

I can also see why he felt like a third (well, actually, fourth) wheel in the house once Cal showed up, but it seemed like a dangerous idea to let him go back to the city to see Alison's show. They now know that more than one group is looking for Kira, so it stands to reason that if anyone saw Felix then all they would have to do is follow him back to Sarah and Kira.

I think that if Sarah had said anything at that point, like that she was sorry, that she needed him, that it was dangerous for him to go back, then he would have given in and stayed (and pouted, but still). But she didn't try to convince him to stay and then she let him hitch hike back to the city. She couldn't even ask Cal to drop him off at a bus station or something?

Part of me feels bad that Alison is so paranoid right now, but mostly I'm glad that she has her guard up and saw right through Angie's attempts to befriend her. I loved when she told her to go take a flying leap and refused to tell her anything. She really needs to learn not to mix her pills with alcohol though. If she had only taken one or the other, she probably would have been okay to make it through the show. My guess is that she will let people assume she's just upset about Aynsley's death.

Even though I still think it was a huge risk for Felix to go back, I'm so glad that he was there for Alison's opening night. Did she see him in the audience or did she only see Paul?

I felt really bad for Helena during that weirdo cult binding ceremony. She was so weak that she could barely move (which seemed strange since she was able to sit up and feed herself earlier). I wonder if they drugged her beforehand (with the fried chicken?) so that she couldn't fight back. Please don't tell me the creepy cowboy was carrying her afterward so he could rape her and impregnate her.

I laughed when Helena offered Grace some of her fried chicken. I imagine that Helena thought something along the lines of, "Why would anyone turn down perfectly good food? Her loss - more for me!"

I'm glad that Cosima is being cautious about Delphine but without arousing her suspicions. She is still being flirtatious and making reasonable comments (like the one about Jennifer's monitor and Delphine being hers) but not being outright hostile or arousing suspicion. Her behavior and skepticism is enough for Leekie and Delphine to believe that she's being honest but still with the program, but she seems to be playing them and not letting them know the extent of her suspicion so as not to arouse theirs, which I think is a smart strategy.

I get the "distract the convenience store guy with Kira pretending to shoplift so Felix can actually steal food" ploy, but again, you know people are looking for Kira so (1) the less people who see her, the better and (2) it is just DUMB to use her real name in front of strangers. Either make up a fake name or just use a kiddie nickname like pumpkin or sweetie pie.

Interesting that the local cop was so trusting of Cal and didn't push him after seeing the candy wrapper. And then the poor guy was shot for his troubles! Cal and Kira will have to run since the cop got shot on his property, but where will they go?

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with Kira in liking Cal's beard.  She has his curls so I'm taking Sarah's word about paternity.

Maybe Cal has just been holed up in that cabin for a long time but the sex felt rushed.  Sarah shows up with kid in tow 8 years after ripping him off and the next night he's back in bed with her.

How did the "federal agent" find Cal's place so quick?  Sheriff pulls him over for a chat and next scene he's at Cal's.  Sheriff pulls up right after and I'm guessing he would of beelined over to Cal's to warn him about the agent asking questions.  There are other cabins in the area so even if agent guy was following the lead of where the truck was ditched, he found Cal's place fast.  Makes me wonder if Cal was already on the radar with these guys.  I'm hoping Cal has another remote cabin somewhere because after the sheriff was gunned down on his property and the fact he has Kira EVERYONE is going to be looking for him.

I get the "distract the convenience store guy with Kira pretending to shoplift so Felix can actually steal food" ploy, but again, you know people are looking for Kira so (1) the less people who see her, the better and (2) it is just DUMB to use her real name in front of strangers. Either make up a fake name or just use a kiddie nickname like pumpkin or sweetie pie.

Should have called her "Monkey" since her and Felix call her that in every other scene.

Edited by whyjen8
(edited)
I LOVED hearing Felix tell Sarah that Alison needed him, so glad he said that because it made me feel better about him leaving her last ep. Then I felt bad for him when his voice got all high and cracked as he started to cry. Was not expecting that!

I loved that and also loved Sarah's look off it, which I interpreted as a cocktail of shock and jealousy that Felix has bonded so fast [in both senses of the word] with her sister clone.  Since my favorite relationships on the show are those between all the clones, and there was little of that this episode, that moment kind of stood in as a surrogate for me.

I'm thinking he is not exactly the guy most likely to solve problems with lethal force. Track your phone down and call the cops is more likely. Heck, odds are that at least one major reason he didn't take that shot is that he can't shoot worth a damn, and just keeps that gun around to chase off deer and other varmits by shooting at the ground.

Yeah, I also assume that was a shotgun, not a sniper rifle.  Probably not a good idea for someone not a trained marksman to take aim at one person standing next to another person with a weapon that spreads buckshot, you know?  Hitting a target's not as easy peasy as tv convention leads us to believe, so I think that was the show actually choosing realism in that moment.

Please don't tell me the creepy cowboy was carrying her afterward so he could rape her and impregnate her.

I really hope it's not the case but I thought they were making it pretty clear that it was.  But I'm still hoping for some sort of last minute escape for Helena, not least of which because I'm already suffering serious rape fatigue from Game of Thrones.  I could really stand to go a few weeks without seeing it another show I watch.

Finally, poor Cosima.  How fucked up it was to have to dissect a body that looked exactly like her own after having watched [one assumes for a few hours] those incredibly dispiriting tapes of Jennifer's decline and death.  Ugh.  And while I'd like to root for them because they're cute together, I did appreciate Cosima's complete ambivalence in the moment where she tells Delphine she sometimes forgets she's her monitor.  It just seemed really depressing, I think, for Cosima to realize watching Jennifer's videos that the man she thought was her boyfriend was actually something else, and then to remember in that moment that she herself is in the same boat.  She wants Delphine [clearly] and has feelings for Delphine, but I think it's also fair [and the more interesting narrative choice] that the trust is not quite there.  When Delphine responded that it was "good" that Cosima sometimes forgot she was her monitor, I think she tellingly was missing some of the tone of Cosima's statement.  But the distance between them makes sense to me and I think "complicated" is more interesting to explore anyways.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 1
(edited)

When Cal didn't shoot the Bad Agent, it immediately made me suspicious of Cal.  I didn't for one minute consider that he was frightened of Bad Agent, nor did I hear Sarah tell him not to shoot when it was only she in the crosshairs.  

ETA:  Sadly, what it didn't do was make me wonder why Bee-Loving, Colony Collapse-Aware, Scientist with a Heart, Cal had a gun in his house.

I have now officially drunk the American Kool-Aid.  I didn't even bat an eye that a peacenic who pointedly exposited that he, of his whole group, had refused to "sellout" to the military, yet he has a shotgun in his 5-star, "well-appointed" summer house.  (Wow, bad sentence structure, there, but I can't seem to put it more clearly:  Everything about the dude screamed peacenic and yet he has a shotgun.  NO, this is not a "cabin where there would be bears", it's a fancy house and Fe specifically called it well-appointed and Cal isn't the hunting-lodge type -- all Cal's clues about himself leads one to believe he'd be a conscientious objector.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 2

I don't think it's necessarily thin, but I do think it's the most direct/clear cut plot: Find A Cure. So, there's not a whole lot of twisty ZOMG stuff that's going on.

This tends to be an actiony show. (Well except for Allison which is usually comedy)  and Cosima's storyline right now is being used to explain the science aspect of it.  I am not sure if it will spend the entire season that way but either way I kinda like the scenes with her and Delphine.  

As much as I love this show and believe it could do no wrong, Felix having never heard of Cal before feels a tad shark jumpy.

And I agree, Sarah, an experienced con artist, should not have used Kira's real name, or even her known nickname (Monkey) in the store. Kira should have had a baseball cap covering her hair and been called Davy or something. But they were all tired, hungry, and desperate, so I can forgive this.

Please don't tell me the creepy cowboy was carrying her afterward so he could rape her and impregnate her.

I really hope it's not the case but I thought they were making it pretty clear that it was.  
If they go there, the follow-up should be Helena going Lorena Bobbitt on him. They keep showing the younger guy even more creepily eyeing her, so hopefully she ends him and his genetic line too. I'm really not a violent person, and would probably cover my eyes if these scenes occur, but after everything Helena's been through, and given how inhuman the cult is, it seems like an appropriate end for them. Pretty ironic that Grace referred to Helena as "barely human."

I loved Cosima's Dr Leekey impression.  Tatiana continues to amaze with her chameleon-like abilities.  But did I miss the part about where Art got that photo he used to track down Creepy Big Love Ranch (love this nickname)?  How did he even know to be looking for it, let alone where?  Oh wait... as I write this out, I wonder-- was it in his Maggie Chen files?  Not to mention Cylon Daniel finding Cal's cabin with little trouble.  Sometimes this show moves so fast I miss the connections.

Everything about the dude screamed peacenic and yet he has a shotgun.  NO, this is not a "cabin where there would be bears", it's a fancy house and Fe specifically called it well-appointed and Cal isn't the hunting-lodge type -- all Cal's clues about himself leads one to believe he'd be a conscientious objector.

I'm not by any means a gun person and am in fact pretty afraid of them, but if I lived alone in the woods I'd have to get over that fear.  I don't think it's sensible not to have a shotgun around if you're by yourself in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't think anything of that [and really don't think the show intended for us to think that was Bom Bom BOMMMMM significant.  Cabin in the woods = gun to me.  Call me a desensitized American.

I thought it was kind of unfortunate that Sarah had never told Felix who Kira's baby daddy was if she knew, but I don't think it's out of character, either.  1. She's pretty guarded, 2. It sounds like the relationship lasted all of a month.  I have dairy products older than that, 3. Felix doesn't know Cal, so short of telling him it was this guy named Cal what does it actually mean to him?  All the same, I don't blame him for being put out.  But it didn't seem 'shark jumpy' to me.  But then I'm a Glee survivor.  I have a pretty high bar for jumping sharks.

• Love 7
(edited)

When Helena breaks free from the Creepy Big Love Ranch it's going to be epic, I can't wait. Otherwise, the season so far feels like they are just moving the chess pieces to strategic places. I don't feel the momentum we had last season but I'm sure they'll rectify that.

As much as I love this show and believe it could do no wrong, Felix having never heard of Cal before feels a tad shark jumpy.

I'm not sure, they've cast the part quite prominently, he's not a loser and seems like he can take care of Kira. Plus, given his prominence as the father of a half clone, I'm sure his part in the show will be lengthy. Now, given all that, we could surmise that Cal wasn't initially supposed to be a mark, Sara ran away with some of his money when she fell in love with him. There could be a backstory there which explains why she didn't tell Felix about him.

Edited by Boundary

When Cal didn't shoot the Bad Agent, it immediately made me suspicious of Cal.  I didn't for one minute consider that he was frightened of Bad Agent, nor did I hear Sarah tell him not to shoot when it was only she in the crosshairs.  

ETA:  Sadly, what it didn't do was make me wonder why Bee-Loving, Colony Collapse-Aware, Scientist with a Heart, Cal had a gun in his house.

I have now officially drunk the American Kool-Aid.  I didn't even bat an eye that a peacenic who pointedly exposited that he, of his whole group, had refused to "sellout" to the military, yet he has a shotgun in his 5-star, "well-appointed" summer house.  (Wow, bad sentence structure, there, but I can't seem to put it more clearly:  Everything about the dude screamed peacenic and yet he has a shotgun.  NO, this is not a "cabin where there would be bears", it's a fancy house and Fe specifically called it well-appointed and Cal isn't the hunting-lodge type -- all Cal's clues about himself leads one to believe he'd be a conscientious objector.)

The cabin was hardly a 5-star fancy house.  Felix had just spoke about how sleeping in a truck was camping for him.  I think he had an idea that all cabins in the woods would be tiny little shacks, not something that people actually reside in year round.  Even if it was a super fancy house, having a shotgun in a cabin that's shown to be 'in the woods' is pretty much the norm, whether it's America or Canada or some other place.  The dude screamed peacenic (if not wanting to provide an easier method of bombing for the military is peacenic, I just find that fairly normal) but he wasn't exactly screaming fanatical animal rights activist.  He had caged chickens, after all.  He didn't strike me as the guy who would want to lure away a bear or a wolf or any sort of threatening wild animal with a guitar and kumbaya.  A shotgun is sort of a necessity, especially with those chickens.  

That being said, there's a huge difference between being willing to fire a shot towards an animal and shooting a person.  I would have been a lot more suspicious if this random dude who Sarah described as different and meaningful to her had just straight up shot someone.  He's not presented as someone who lived a life of crime or on the run or in need of protecting his family.  He's someone who was well outside of Sarah's typical social circle (apart from being an unwitting mark at one point).  If he had fired a shot, that would have sent up red flags for me.  I'd be surprised if he even had bullets in the gun.  

• Love 2

I'm not by any means a gun person and am in fact pretty afraid of them, but if I lived alone in the woods I'd have to get over that fear.  I don't think it's sensible not to have a shotgun around if you're by yourself in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't think anything of that [and really don't think the show intended for us to think that was Bom Bom BOMMMMM significant.  Cabin in the woods = gun to me.  Call me a desensitized American.

I thought it was kind of unfortunate that Sarah had never told Felix who Kira's baby daddy was if she knew, but I don't think it's out of character, either.  1. She's pretty guarded, 2. It sounds like the relationship lasted all of a month.  I have dairy products older than that, 3. Felix doesn't know Cal, so short of telling him it was this guy named Cal what does it actually mean to him?  All the same, I don't blame him for being put out.  But it didn't seem 'shark jumpy' to me.  But then I'm a Glee survivor.  I have a pretty high bar for jumping sharks.

It didn't even look that woodsy to me, but as a Canadian who paused in the premiere with the diner's gun, this gun didn't surprise me. Lots of people do hunt up here so it's not impossible to get a gun, just harder than in the US. I don't think Cal is a regular user, but he probably thought he should get it. I also didn't believe Sarah when she said she didn't know if he was going to be here. He must live there most of the time because he has chickens and he seems to know the local cop. I think it's his primary residence.

It does not seem OOC for Sarah to not tell Felix about it. She had a lot of marks/boyfriends. Sarah likes to run and be in denial about things. She's never told anyone about Cal because of Kira. She routinely left town and Fee didn't know where she was either.

ETA: Paul vs. Cal? Let's all get along because there is more than enough room for eye candy on this show! Can't we keep them both?

• Love 1

I was hoping Allison would get through the show when she saw Felix, but it didn't seem to help.

Did she see him in the audience or did she only see Paul?

I don't think she saw him. They showed Alison looking out into the audience and they showed Felix, but I never saw her react to that. I think if she saw him, she would have looked relieved.

Every scene with Helena just filled me with dread.

I liked Cal but I don't like that Sarah dragged him into this situation. I realize she's desperate and on the run, but why do that? She can't possibly have thought she could leave Kira with him with no explanation and they would be safe? Maybe she thought she could, who knows. There's really no one she can trust. I'll have to see where this goes.

It's true abut rural houses and guns. I live in the boonies and I don't have one, but it makes me a weirdo. Even people who you would seriously never imagine to be gun-owners tend to have one around. I also knew someone who had a TOY rifle in the house, just for show, since he didn't feel comfortable having a real one or not having anything he could wave around that looked menacing from a distance.

I wish I hadn't deleted the show from my DVR because I would swear I heard Sarah saying not to shoot, but if no one else heard it, I am probably wrong.

There needs to be an endgame plan, because living side by side in peaceful co-existence with Dyad and the various religious factions who want to possess the clones doesn't seem likely. But everyone constantly being on the run or undercover doesn't seem viable, either. So it has to be destroy Dyad, or take it over or something. I don't know what. But Sarah doesn't seem to be the sort to see more than one step ahead, and at some point that's not going to work, especially if she wants to take care of Kira. It was all well and good when she was off the radar and S was providing Kira with stability. But now, it's a clusterfuck.

• Love 1

Cal has absolutely buggerall ties to her, has independent means, and appears to be the most genuinely good person Sarah knows, and is Kira's father. I think her plan might simply have been to leave kira with him and then go make a spectacle of herself in Berlin or Buenos Aires or somewhere.. It'd be very hard to find Kira with him. 

But did I miss the part about where Art got that photo he used to track down Creepy Big Love Ranch (love this nickname)?  How did he even know to be looking for it, let alone where?  Oh wait... as I write this out, I wonder-- was it in his Maggie Chen files?  Not to mention Cylon Daniel finding Cal's cabin with little trouble.  Sometimes this show moves so fast I miss the connections.

Wasn't he taking pictures of them cleaning up after burning down the house (and also of their vehicles)? I suspect basic policework.

I also like how Alison figured out immediately that Angie was lying. It makes total sense because Alison is ultra-paranoid right now, but I feel like on another show, that would be a plot point for several episodes: Angie lying and getting closer and Alison being clueless. I just really appreciate how fast-paced and true to the characters everything is.

• Love 1

Nasty stuff watching Delphine and Cosima pulling Jennifer's intestine and such

Finally, poor Cosima.  How fucked up it was to have to dissect a body that looked exactly like her own after having watched [one assumes for a few hours] those incredibly dispiriting tapes of Jennifer's decline and death.  Ugh.

This was actually my favorite scene in the episode because it was really creepy to me. I know that Cosima isn't doing any actiony stuff, but she's an academic, and I do think it's important to learn about the clones from the scientific pov. 

Yeah, I've been seeing Michiel Huisman a lot this year.

I posted last night that this guy should be thanking his agent. He was on the under-rated Treme as well and had a really nice character arc. 

Felix broke my heart with his hurt with Sarah before he left.  But my heart was healed slightly when he said that Allison needed him since last week my heart hurt for her when Felix left.  Also, I love that this show continues to allow Sarah to not be a particularly good person and doesn't excuse her behavior.

I kinda laughed when I realized that as Sarah was talking to Cal, the closest she has come to directly expressing caring for anyone other than Kira or Felix was telling Cal that she only stole 10 grand and his car.

I like Cal so far.  He clearly still has feelings for her, but understandably mad.  The slept together and had one fun scene with Kira, whom he just found out is his.  But it was one morning.  Having a nice day together does not mean everything is fixed or settled.

I'm having a difficult time watching the Helena stuff.  It's so creepy that I spend most of the time cringing which I think may be causing me to miss stuff.  I re-watched today and caught more the the dialogue, but I'm still probably missing stuff.

Oh Alison.  On the one hand her paranoia is justified and helpful when Angie bounced up to her.  But the pressure of the paranoia plus the death of Ainsley is breaking her.  At least Felix is back for her.

I continue to have a very hard time connecting with Cosima.  I'm interested in her story and her, but I think I need her to interact with the other clones more. As much as I think that presently everyone is too dispersed, I don't mind the show briefly scattering the clones, provided it does last too long.  But Cosima has always been too isolated for me.

That was pretty funny hearing Angie call Helena "Shakira haired"... I laughed out loud.

I laughed at this too.

Riful:

The actor for Cal is better than DB/Paul but the character didn't really catch my interest.

OK, so when I read "DB/Paul" I immediately looked at it and thought "Big Dick is BD not DB," and then belatedly realized you were using the actors initials. I'm an idiot.

Really hope Cal's little guys didn't go 2/2 and Kira will be getting a sibling...

That crossed my mind too.

I kinda laughed when I realized that as Sarah was talking to Cal, the closest she has come to directly expressing caring for anyone other than Kira or Felix was telling Cal that she only stole 10 grand and his car...

I rolled my eyes at another example of how out of touch with reality most concepts of money are on TV. 10 grand and a car would pretty much wipe out my retirement savings, and for the 30-somethings I work with, it would mean huge credit card debt to pay the rent, and we all have masters degrees. Why did they make it a ridiculously huge amount? I guess to show he's a Daddy Warbucks.

And now he's a Daddy Warbucks with chickens that need looking after and a dead cop in his front yard, and, according to his last convo with his cop buddy, he's growing pot in the backyard.

RE: Liam/Cal/Daario

I have never seen Nashville, but faithfully watch GoT. The actor seems to look a whole lot better as a modern-day backwoodsman than an medieval sword-wielder.

I do not like the prospect of Helena or any character on this show getting raped, but I've noticed and other reviewers too (AV Club, TLo) that the theme of fertility, motherhood, and identity is also subversive. It's sort of like how fertility was dealt with in The Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood. The show is making some pointed Feminist observations about how women and the control of their bodies. One of the reasons I love this show is how female oriented it is, and Sarah does not look good in this episode, but completely in character. She has grown a lot, but she was a grifter for many years. I love that she is our protagonist just as much as I love the fact she is her own ensemble.

• Love 1

That crossed my mind too.

I rolled my eyes at another example of how out of touch with reality most concepts of money are on TV. 10 grand and a car would pretty much wipe out my retirement savings, and for the 30-somethings I work with, it would mean huge credit card debt to pay the rent, and we all have masters degrees. Why did they make it a ridiculously huge amount? I guess to show he's a Daddy Warbucks.

And now he's a Daddy Warbucks with chickens that need looking after and a dead cop in his front yard, and, according to his last convo with his cop buddy, he's growing pot in the backyard.

I thought it was a pretty reasonable amount.  Not too much, not too little.  It's an amount that would smart, even for a person who just made a lot of money from the sale of his tech.  

• Love 1

This was the first episode of the show where I was actually bored.  I even started surfing the net instead of paying my usual rapt attention.  I like Sarah but I agree with the earlier poster who said this was TOO much of her.  And I have to think that her dragging Cal into this was an ill advised plan and probably means he'll be dead by season's end.  Not that I care because, if he is indeed Kira's dad, I was underwhelmed.  Overall, I found myself hoping Daniel would succeed in getting away with either Kira or Sarah...or both. At least that would get things moving.

I thought it was a pretty reasonable amount.  Not too much, not too little.  It's an amount that would smart, even for a person who just made a lot of money from the sale of his tech.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty reasonable.  And didn't he say he made a lot of money in the sale of his technology?  So I think Sarah's [somewhat fucked up] reasoning was that she did him a solid by only stealing a drop in the bucket.  Enough to piss him off, but not actually dent his finances.

Plus it gave a plausible way for Sarah to have met Cal.  I worried that the father would end up being some true love chump.  It was excellent that Sarah-the-thief got pregnant from one of her marks because it maintained consistency with the character they introduced.