Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: RuPaul Roast

• Start Topic

The tops and bottoms this episode were totally obvious. But I thought Alexis deserved to go home. Her lip sync was soulless. I'm glad to see Peppermint and Sasha do better. 

• Love 1

It was so nice to see Peppermint shine and get a win! I also loved that Sasha did well. But I protest the LSFYL result--Farrah was great and should have sent Alexis packing. 

1 minute ago, Egg said:

The tops and bottoms this episode were totally obvious. But I thought Alexis deserved to go home. Her lip sync was soulless. I'm glad to see Peppermint and Sasha do better. 

So glad I'm not alone in thinking Alexis should have lost. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, at least now that Farrah is gone, we have quite as a open field, different from the latest season.. Yes, Shea and Valentina have yet to find themselves on the bottom (and Valentina is kidding fadding in the middle now), but other than than, everyone had ups and downs, so it will be interesting to see who pull ahead and make the final 3 (I think that only Shea is a lock right now).

Talking about ups and downs... this episode... Theres not much to say othen than has being said by the judges... And that Lip Sync... hmm Farrah started a little better but once the song hit the climax she couldnt keep up while Alexis stepped up (listening to the song, you must be prepared to explode at that end. Neither did but Alexis came close).

This season is really lacking memorable moments tho...

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kind of sad for Farah because she really brought it in the the lipsync, and so much more than Alexis. Her coquettish look works well with Dolly Parton, who's always in on the joke. Unfortunately, she doesn't stand out that much. Alexis still has the high of being both a great Kris Jenner and a funny Liza, so it wouldn't have been fair to send her home over Farah. 

That roast, though. Christ. I had to cover my ears for at least half of it because I cannot listen to people bombing at comedy. It bothers me to my core.

Edited by cyberfruit
  • Love 8

Damm, when I said that at least this season I wouldnt be able to know who will be top 3, I faced those major spoilers that leaked (didnt know about it) and seems like they are spot on =_=. For those that managed to escape it, be carefull!

11 minutes ago, CaioF said:

Damm, when I said that at least this season I wouldnt be able to know who will be top 3, I faced those major spoilers that leaked (didnt know about it) and seems like they are spot on =_=. For those that managed to escape it, be carefull!

That sucks!  I managed to close Twitter just in time to avoid a spoiler post, but I'm going to have to be more careful.

I preferred Alexis in the lip synch.  Her lips were sharp and there was more emotion in her face.

• Love 1

Peppermint!! I'm not sure she has the record to make a run at the overall title at this point, but if she builds off of this momentum I think she's got a good shot at Miss Congeniality and maybe an All Stars 3 spot. It's a little odd how uneven it is, but between her lip sync, last week, and this week she's proven that she's got plenty of humor, wit, and talent. Also her look was stunning. It makes me think that she might be a queen who just didn't have room in the budget to bring much of anything onto the show with her, and once she gets the post-show boost in bookings and tips, she's going to be extra-fabulous.

Kinda bummed that this was how we got our first Dolly lip sync. While watching it I kept imaging other past LSYFL matchups that would have absolutely killed it. I think Darienne vs DeLa would have really brought it. As it is, this is another one where I felt like desperate stunts trumped someone who was more subdued but actually felt the song. However, situations like those I think RuPaul's decision isn't actually going off of the lip sync alone and is also heavily weighting overall performance and possibly potential for future episodes. 

Alexis and Trinity have completely flip-flopped in my pre-show expectations. Alexis is waaaay too serious. I get that we've progressed into the emotionally intelligent, Rupaul's Best Friends Race era of the show, but you really can't claim body-shaming during the reading challenge. That's like whining "but I'm carb freeeee, guys, this is discrimination!!" in the middle of a bakery.

• Love 3

Watching next week preview tho, It seems will be way more fun and a controversial runway discussion... Lets see..  And at least, from the spoilers I saw, I got confirmation on the next two eliminations (since I closed the spoiler thing right after) so at least it leaves me with some suspense towards the top 4.. =_= . Producers really need to me more carefull with those leaks.

Peppermint finally wins, and deservedly so, and she wins...Squarespace, a thing that has become a joke because RuPaul promotes it so much. I hope she's able to make it work for her.

Another fairly lackluster lipsync on this season. I don't know if it was the song, the queens or both. I think Alyssa and/or Trixie would have slayed this song, among other past contestants.

I'm still watching this season, and while I like or am interested in the queens the show seems somehow blah. I'm interested to see what they all do with their post show opportunities. I hope Untucked is good.

I too hate to watch bad stand up, and some of these were so painful to watch. Like, ahem, a dry vajoina/Laganja paraphrase off.

• Love 3
(edited)

Every time they do these roasts they always get these queens who have never written a joke or suddenly forget how to tell jokes. Half the people who comment here are twice as funny as anyone on the show.

Nina's grandma was clearly a riff on Ru's cousin, which Coco did, but not nearly as funny as when Coco did it. I just thought that Nina could have pushed it farther like "Oh, my Nina told me what might be happening tonight. All manner evil. Drinking, foul language, men kissing men, women kissing women, men dressed up like women, and people saying nice things about Michelle Visage. Evil! Just evil. I'm a Southern lady. When we're worried about you, Southern ladies like to pray for you, love up on you, and feed you so that there's no room for the devil to get in there. Which is strange 'cause I don't know how the devil managed to get in there with you Michelle...or you Ross...or you Alexis. But I'm gonna pray for you tonight Michelle. I'm gonna pray for you even though I heard some things that have me worried. I'm gonna pray because I know that deep down that you a good person. Jesus...bless our Michelle even though she's an alcoholic 80 year old stripper with one wooden leg who lets her titties fall out and she talks like longshoreman because she's a good person deep, deep, DEEP down inside."

Alexis is this combo of earnest and hilarious in her overconfidence and ineptitude. Alexis is like unsuccessful Anne Hathaway. Alexis is actually Valerie Cherish. And I think you could make a solid argument to send Alexis home because more was expected of her in the roast and was about neck and neck with Farrah in the lipsync.

Farrah doesn't know who she is as a drag queen, but she would have killed if she had done a bit where she was a girl too dumb and ditsy to know what a joke or a roast was. I thought that's where she was going with her "let's get cooking" when she started her material.

It could have been really funny if her bit was about thinking the roast was about cooking, then learning what a comedy roast was, and finally getting what a joke was to ultimately finish with a brutal punchline, still with no clue how she got there. Something like "Ru said we were going to do a roast with Michelle Visage. I said I didn't know Michelle cooked. Everyone laughed. I don't know why. Anyway, we all sat down started working. Sasha came over to ask how my jokes were going. Why would I be writing jokes? We're making a roast with Michelle Visage. I'm working on a recipe girl. Sasha told me it was a comedy roast and you have to have jokes. How do you even cook jokes?" Something along those lines.

Farrah playing an absolute nitwit could have been very funny in a Jessica "is this chicken or fish because they call it chicken of the sea" Simpson

or a Porsha "how'd they get the train down there" Williams way.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

I'm all in on #TeamTrinity at this point, which is a complete 180 from where I was preseason. I just love her. She's a star. I didn't get a good luck at her outfit until Untucked, but she is straight up wearing a denim, patched-up, country garter belt. Who else would do that?

That being said, this is Shea's season to win, and I don't see her taking her foot off the gas for one second. And this week's Untucked proves it. She will absolutely deserves it if she wins.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, CaioF said:

For god sake, Nina really needs a psychologist treatment: 

What in the Fuq...ua, Antoine Fuqua's seminal film Training Day, went down in Atlanta that Nina ended up this defensive and paranoid? Nina's ceaseless suspicion and paranoia remind me of Leah Remini's Aftermath show. Leah describes how Scientologists are taught to observe each other and report anything that might indicate that their fellow Scientologists might be wavering in their faith. Ultimately, it meant that you were constantly paranoid and afraid of sharing your real feelings and concerns even with your family. Nina is afraid to share anything with anyone. Her bravado about only having impress Ru and the judges is completely false because a competitor who thinks that way doesn't bother even addressing the shade from the other girls. In this way, Valentina is walking the walk that Nina talks. Girls have tried to come for Valentina and she's been like you do you and I'll do me because me seems to be winning.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1

I do feel for Alexis on the body jokes, but didn't she make fun of somebody's teeth?  I don't really see the difference between the types of jokes made about her body and the types of jokes she made about somebody's teeth.

I'm thinking that people will have to start preparing for the roast challenge the way they've started to prepare for the Snatch Game challenge.  Do research on any potential roast victim and come up with jokes about them.

• Love 1

This was fine. I had higher expectations, but considering there are no comedy queens left in this bunch, we're lucky they didn't all bomb. Stand up comedy is hard. At least we got rid of Farrah, who I like, but even before the season it was painfully obvious that she wasn't ready. Now that she's gone, there's no obvious fodder, which might be a first for Top 7.

That's not to say they're all equal, considering Shea's track record so far is almost identical to Bianca Del Rio's - she just has one less high placement. And Bianca has been doing drag for at least 70 years, so I'm super impressed by how well-prepared Shea is. I thought this week would trip her up, but she's just sailing through. I'll be surprised if anyone catches up to her.

I can't wait for next week's episode. I always love the kind of challenges where they write and direct their own videos, and I've been waiting for this runway since the season started. Shea's and Peppermint's looks were shown briefly in the pre-season supertrailer (why they keep showing lategame runways in pre-season press every year, I'll never understand) and I've been dying to see the full looks. They probably can't live up to my expectations now, but I'll try to stay optimistic.

• Love 1
(edited)

There are weeks when it's hard to tell who's in the top/bottom but this week it was so obvious because Alexis, Farrah, and Trinity bombed really painfully while Peppermint, Sasha, and Shea did really well. Peppermint solidified her win with her runway look. She looked glamorous and beautiful from head to toe. It reminded me of what Ru used to look like before the whole makeup/wardrobe debacle.

Farrah looked pretty, but what was with all the white powder? I agree with the judges that she doesn't know who she is yet. As Tyra would say, she's resting on pretty. Alexis was green for no good reason. I kept thinking there would be some kind of Hulk or Wicked joke that justified it, but nope. It's Michelle's favorite color? Okay. Trinity at least had a costume that went with her character.

I would have been fine with both Farrah and Alexis being sent home. Overall Alexis has been more successful in the challenges, but her LSFYL was a little too try hard for my taste. Farrah has not done very well at anything besides looking pretty all season (and she's been downright terrible at some of the challenges), but her LSFYL seemed more natural and like something you'd actually see as a performance somewhere. It wasn't mindblowing or anything, but it was good.

Alexis really needs to toughen up. It's one thing to talk in the workroom about your issues. It's another to assume that something about you is off limits just because you've discussed it. Remember AS2: "I think about you all the time, like in the morning - at the bus stop!" I'm glad that Ru pointed out the hypocrisy of Alexis thinking it was okay to get personal when she was reading the other girls but somehow it's not okay for them to do it to her.

Listening to Peppermint and Sasha talk about being in Russia was sad. It's chilling to remember how legally oppressed gay people are there. I mean, don't get me wrong - things are far from perfect here for LGBTQ but at least it's technically not illegal to be gay anymore.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I was out ant totally missed the show. Should I watch it, or just rewatch Queen Jujubee's reign in the library? 

If you can find it online, you can watch and skip Alexis, Farrah's and Trinity's reads. And with the time saved, you can re-watch Jujubee!

I just saw Untucked, and I want to know who the one queen is who didn't leave a letter for the Farrah. Farrah said in her lovely instagram statement about this episode that she was homeless when she went on the show. I really hope she benefits from the post show polish most queens acquire. I don't dislike her, I just expected more from her. She's really young and not that developed, I hope she grows from this. I think back to the first episode when they made them play musical chairs with the work stations, 13 stations, 14 queens, and Farrah was the one who didn't have a station of her own.

Nina needs some real help with a good therapist, but I don't think she'd seek that. Her saboteur isn't inner, it's pretty outer. Too bad, because she is sooo unique and talented. I'm glad Shea shut that down in Untucked. Shades of Laganja's "I don't remember where or when, but you came for me".

Thank Ru that we finally got to the Reading Challenge. I would not have chosen Valentina as the winner tho as much as I like her. At first I felt a little bad for Alexis wrt the reads about her body and history of image issues but as others have mentioned, she herself has pointed out others' queens' physical characteristics soooo... 

Hooray, Peppermint won! I so love her, want her to do well, want her in Top 3, if not winning the crown outright. She just keeps getting better and better. Sasha also continues to impress me and my lurve for Shea remains as strong as it did at the beginning of the season. 

Hearing from Peppermint and Sasha about their experiences in Russia absolutely TERRIFIED me. Every morning, post-Inauguration Day, when I wake up in the morning I am immediately seized with fear. It scares me to no end that during the next four years, we'll see hateful behavior made into law here. 

I'm hoping Farrah will continue to mature, she is beautiful but ITA with the assessment that she does not really know who she is yet. What did Alexis wave with during the LSFYL? At first I thought it was chest padding but now I'm not so sure. Thought both Farrah and Alexis did well during the LSFYL and omg I had totally forgotten that Dolly Parton had hopped on the disco train back in the day! Thank you for the memories, RPDR. LOL 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

If you can find it online, you can watch and skip Alexis, Farrah's and Trinity's reads. And with the time saved, you can re-watch Jujubee!

"I'm not scared. I will READ a bitch. I will read yuh To FILTH." Jujubee is the greatest reader of all time. Nobody else compares!

Farrah and Alexis...crickets. It was painful. I was surprised overall with the poor quality of jokes. There is so much to mine for. Nobody went after how Michelle brings up the goddamn Bodyguard soundtrack every chance she gets, nobody really even made fun of her giant boobs. It felt like more people had more Michelle Visage jokes in the season 5 roast, and she wasn't even the guest of honor!

• Love 1

With Alexis, I wasn't bothered that she got her feelings hurt during the reading challenge -- I'm a big girl, and if I were in a situation like that I know exactly where everyone's reads would go, and I think I would laugh them off but it would probably hurt and possibly in a high-pressure situation where I'm being filmed I might run off and cry afterwards. But with her, she never really looks inwards. Had she said "listen, I know that the library was open and it's not only acceptable but expected to go after each other's looks -- that hit me in a tender spot, and I'm gonna need a second to get it back together, give me a second and maybe also could somebody give me a hug", it would be completely different. But no, she had to humorlessly scold girls for doing exactly what the challenge called for and what she also did to Shea. It's similar to how she decided weeks ago in Untucked that going out looking real fucking basic on the runway wasn't a fuckup on her part but her sisters not looking out for her the way that she has arbitrarily decided that they must. And the fact that she's not even a big girl made it even sillier, of course.

Someone who I'm empathizing with a lot more is Nina. Does anyone else think she's halfway breaking the fourth wall a lot, and that's why she's coming off as so paranoid? Like, last week when she ran off-set during the 90210 sketch like "oh, I see what's going on", I took it as her realizing she was about to get the Trinity K Bonet treatment in the edit and judging and had to take a second to get her shit together. And even if that wasn't the case, Untucked seemed real damn clear to me that she was talking about production as "they". It took me a minute to even figure out when she thought the girls had been talking about her performance, since it's not like it would come up during the tops and bottoms critiques on stage when she's backstage safe, and it struck me as very weird that Shea wasn't asking which girl had told her that she (Shae) was talking shit.

I'm not really sure how Drag Race does their in-the-moment talking heads compared to other reality competition shows, when exactly those are filmed, but it seemed to me like Nina was alluding to production interviews between the comedy show and the runway, or maybe after the workroom (where they're figuring out what the others are planning to do) and before the roast. If that's the case -- I really don't blame her. I mean, yeah, I agree with some of you that she could use some good ol' therapy because we basically all could, but I think that worrying about what's being said about you especially if some sneaky lil producer is asking you leading questions and hinting at something other girls were saying in their talking heads...that's completely reasonable to get under one's skin and psych them out, especially considering that this show is on a ridiculously tight production schedule (like isn't it only three, four weeks total?) and they're likely all sleep-deprived and in a lot of physical discomfort. Also, if some past queens are right, WoW production is very Unreal-esque and hella manipulative. They might be fucking with Nina. Not saying blame it on the edit, but maybe blame it on some producers playing fucked up mind games with a stressed out queen.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I'm hoping Farrah will continue to mature, she is beautiful but ITA with the assessment that she does not really know who she is yet. What did Alexis wave with during the LSFYL? At first I thought it was chest padding but now I'm not so sure. Thought both Farrah and Alexis did well during the LSFYL and omg I had totally forgotten that Dolly Parton had hopped on the disco train back in the day! Thank you for the memories, RPDR. LOL 

A tiny black hat.

Edited by CaioF
3 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I'm out of the loop. What's this debacle you speak of?

Not sure about wardrobe, but allegedly Mathu Anderson asked for a raise and RuPaul said no. Supposedly Ru's face was half painted and MA walked off, don't know if that's true or not. Raven and Delta have taken over, and along with the weird purple light, RuPaul doesn't look the same and to most, doesn't look as good.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hearing from Peppermint and Sasha about their experiences in Russia absolutely TERRIFIED me. Every morning, post-Inauguration Day, when I wake up in the morning I am immediately seized with fear. It scares me to no end that during the next four years, we'll see hateful behavior made into law here. 

Hell's bells, I live in a big city and on the walk to the bar for the viewing party my friend and I got called f****** from a SUV. My friend, who presents very masculine, told me I shouldn't swing my arms so much. In 2017.

With Alexis, I wasn't bothered that she got her feelings hurt during the reading challenge -- I'm a big girl, and if I were in a situation like that I know exactly where everyone's reads would go, and I think I would laugh them off but it would probably hurt and possibly in a high-pressure situation where I'm being filmed I might run off and cry afterwards. But with her, she never really looks inwards. Had she said "listen, I know that the library was open and it's not only acceptable but expected to go after each other's looks -- that hit me in a tender spot, and I'm gonna need a second to get it back together, give me a second and maybe also could somebody give me a hug", it would be completely different. But no, she had to humorlessly scold girls for doing exactly what the challenge called for and what she also did to Shea.

There was a point in my life when I wasn't stick-thin and people LOVED to comment on it. It really sucked. I also was not on RuPaul's Drag Race for the library challenge. We all have our own insecurities and weaknesses, and for a challenge like this, you really have to let that shit go. I don't think Alexis should have been offended that Farrah made a fat joke about her; she should have been offended that the joke was terrible. Pillsbury Doughboy joke? REAL ORIGINAL, FARRAH. I also had a flashback to Delta Work in S3, when she was dismayed that every joke at her expense was a fat joke. It gets old after a while. It's like in the brilliant Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work when Joan says she doesn't really want to do the roast but she needs the money and exposure, and she ends up dismayed that every joke is either about her being old or a plastic surgery junkie.

I was surprised by how many girls tried to do a character for this challenge; in S5, I think only Coco did -- but she won, and maybe the girls thought that was the template. I give Shea all the props, because, much like Darienne in S6's stand-up comedy challenge, going first really is the hardest. Sasha had me nervous at first but she ended up killing it, and Tamar Braxton had the best comment about it ("she was smart about being smart"). Trinity had a character but the jokes weren't there, Farrah did the *complete opposite* of what Ross Matthews told her to do, and I was surprised on second viewing that Alexis wasn't doing an Elphaba character that I had missed.

Also, I have hugged Fortune Feimster once in real life. She is amazeballs.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 1

What I loved about Peppermint is that absolutely none of her jokes were "Michelle is such a slut..." which I think is the very easy, tired way to go. I know Michelle isn't bothered by it, and I'm not either, but she didn't go lazy with it. 

• Love 2

Farrah Moan in Untucked this week, re: her latex jumpsuit she didn't get to wear: "I have to be completely covered in lube to get into this. A LOT of lube. I think there's some lube on it right now. It's KINDA makin' me horny!" If she had showed that kind of personality during the show, she'd still be around!

I think seasons 5 through 7 were the height of the drag character as a fully realized separate persona from the contestants. That being said, both Farrah and Alexis could benefit with fully fleshing out their drag characters. Farrah could be mostly sweet, but slutty and dumb like Amanda Seyfried in Mean Girls. And Alexis could be a Broadway babe who is over it. Alexis always seems to do better when she's playing someone else. Patti Lupone appeared on Watch What Happens Live this week and Patti had zero fucks to give. She was reading folks for filth. She's how I think Alexis, the character, should be. Or like Elaine Strich. Alexis also dresses like a 50 year old.

I just watched Whatcha Packing, with Michelle and Farrah. I thought they filmed these the day after the elimination, but Farrah has different hair, a little beard and a tan. The most masculine I've seen her look. And she seems more confident. She mentioned that she's a Virgo, and told Michelle she wishes she'd broken more rules. As an early September birth myself, I suddenly knew why Farrah complained so much...I identify.

I don't understand why she didn't take some sewing classes before going on the show, though. I think she said she was aiming for Season 10, so maybe she thought she'd have time to learn later.

It's just a few minutes, and I enjoyed what I saw of her. For once Michelle didn't talk the whole time.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:47 PM, HunterHunted said:

Every time they do these roasts they always get these queens who have never written a joke or suddenly forget how to tell jokes. Half the people who comment here are twice as funny as anyone on the show.

Nina's grandma was clearly a riff on Ru's cousin, which Coco did, but not nearly as funny as when Coco did it. I just thought that Nina could have pushed it farther like "Oh, my Nina told me what might be happening tonight. All manner evil. Drinking, foul language, men kissing men, women kissing women, men dressed up like women, and people saying nice things about Michelle Visage. Evil! Just evil. I'm a Southern lady. When we're worried about you, Southern ladies like to pray for you, love up on you, and feed you so that there's no room for the devil to get in there. Which is strange 'cause I don't know how the devil managed to get in there with you Michelle...or you Ross...or you Alexis. But I'm gonna pray for you tonight Michelle. I'm gonna pray for you even though I heard some things that have me worried. I'm gonna pray because I know that deep down that you a good person. Jesus...bless our Michelle even though she's an alcoholic 80 year old stripper with one wooden leg who lets her titties fall out and she talks like longshoreman because she's a good person deep, deep, DEEP down inside."

Alexis is this combo of earnest and hilarious in her overconfidence and ineptitude. Alexis is like unsuccessful Anne Hathaway. Alexis is actually Valerie Cherish. And I think you could make a solid argument to send Alexis home because more was expected of her in the roast and was about neck and neck with Farrah in the lipsync.

Farrah doesn't know who she is as a drag queen, but she would have killed if she had done a bit where she was a girl too dumb and ditsy to know what a joke or a roast was. I thought that's where she was going with her "let's get cooking" when she started her material.

It could have been really funny if her bit was about thinking the roast was about cooking, then learning what a comedy roast was, and finally getting what a joke was to ultimately finish with a brutal punchline, still with no clue how she got there. Something like "Ru said we were going to do a roast with Michelle Visage. I said I didn't know Michelle cooked. Everyone laughed. I don't know why. Anyway, we all sat down started working. Sasha came over to ask how my jokes were going. Why would I be writing jokes? We're making a roast with Michelle Visage. I'm working on a recipe girl. Sasha told me it was a comedy roast and you have to have jokes. How do you even cook jokes?" Something along those lines.

Farrah playing an absolute nitwit could have been very funny in a Jessica "is this chicken or fish because they call it chicken of the sea" Simpson

or a Porsha "how'd they get the train down there" Williams way.

Girl, you should be a comedy writer! Loved and wish we heard you joke from Nina!

23 hours ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

I just saw Untucked, and I want to know who the one queen is who didn't leave a letter for the Farrah. Farrah said in her lovely instagram statement about this episode that she was homeless when she went on the show. I really hope she benefits from the post show polish most queens acquire. I don't dislike her, I just expected more from her. She's really young and not that developed, I hope she grows from this. I think back to the first episode when they made them play musical chairs with the work stations, 13 stations, 14 queens, and Farrah was the one who didn't have a station of her own.

Nina needs some real help with a good therapist, but I don't think she'd seek that. Her saboteur isn't inner, it's pretty outer. Too bad, because she is sooo unique and talented. I'm glad Shea shut that down in Untucked. Shades of Laganja's "I don't remember where or when, but you came for me".

Nina didn't leave the note, Farrah confirmed on twitter

re: when Nina last episode says "I see what's going on" it wasn't about her edit, it was her thinking Jenny and Tori were being racist. I think that's confirmed on her social media. I liked Nina but she's too negative, paranoid, and self-sabotaging (trying to come for Shea when Shea has been nothing but supportive of Nina)

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, snowblossom2 said:

re: when Nina last episode says "I see what's going on" it wasn't about her edit, it was her thinking Jenny and Tori were being racist.

I got that vibe immediately, too...not that Tori and Jennie were being racist, but that Nina thought they were. Nina right away went to this "oh, they don't understand my bla-ccent," when it was more that she was talking too fast for the film. In school whenever I had to give a speech I constantly had to remind myself to speak really slowly because it's coming out faster than I think it is.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, snowblossom2 said:

Girl, you should be a comedy writer! Loved and wish we heard you joke from Nina!

Nina didn't leave the note, Farrah confirmed on twitter

re: when Nina last episode says "I see what's going on" it wasn't about her edit, it was her thinking Jenny and Tori were being racist. I think that's confirmed on her social media. I liked Nina but she's too negative, paranoid, and self-sabotaging (trying to come for Shea when Shea has been nothing but supportive of Nina)

Thanks!

I knew that Nina didn't leave a note. Kimora Blac said that Nina complained and didn't bond with the other girls, which is an insane observation coming from Kimora, not just because Kimora came off as vain, obnoxious, and bitchy, but also because Kimora was booted in the third episode. How awful was Nina that this pattern was observable that early?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/rupauls-drag-race-kimora-blac-interview.html

Nina needs to get over herself. Yes, some accents are harder to understand for people who are more familiar with General American, Standard American, Broadcast American English. Beyoncé has a very Houstonian AAVE accent and she has to work to slow down and enunciate. Julia Roberts worked hard to mostly obliterate her Georgian accent. When she was drunk and married to Kevin Federline  you could tell that Britney was from Louisiana, but otherwise she's been trained to try to sound as close to Standard American as possible. Nina is the exact type of person who will watch Puerto Ricans queens get note after note about pronunciation and enunciation, but realize that she's in the exact same boat. I get the sense that if Nina hosted more or did YouTube videos, she might have figured out some of her verbal performing problems. Then again Charlie Hides does a ton of YouTube videos and was garbage the morning show challenge.

This season has been very up and down for me, as far as my opinions on the queens.  After the first episode, I thought Nina, Sasha, and Eureka were very solid.  I loved Charlie, liked Alexis, and thought Valentina was a pleasant surprise.

Now, I still love Sasha, but everyone and everything else is flipped around.  I adore Shea and Trinity, although Trinity's track record is spotty.  I think Alexis is beautiful but not much else.  Peppermint has grown on me so much, Valentina is beginning to bore me, and Nina gets on my very last nerve.  

• Love 2

After this week's untucked, I can't deal with Nina. Not for one more second. Unless it turns out that she's some kind of medically unwell, that behavior is unforgivable. "Calling people out" for things they LITERALLY DIDN'T DO? Nope. Not ok.

• Love 5
(edited)

Nina is the worst. I wish I had some sympathy for her because she clearly went through something that turned her into such a self-sabotaging mess, but she's just so nasty that I can't.

Edited by delicatecutter
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I get the sense that if Nina hosted more or did YouTube videos, she might have figured out some of her verbal performing problems. Then again Charlie Hides does a ton of YouTube videos and was garbage the morning show challenge.

She actually have some youtube videos but mostly doing impersonations of Jasmine Masters =_=. But yeah, the situation on that challenge was again her self defense mechanism thinking they were picking on her for another reason but make her act gets better. We saw that with the rehearsal with Todrick, once he gave her feedbacks it was like he was dead to her. Doesnt matter the pressure, if producers are teasing her with gossip... Like, after all that Shea did do stand up for her, thats how she shows her trust on her? If at least was any other queen... 

And even talking on a possibility of producers manipulation, based on the latest challenges and how Ru treated Nina, it looked like they really wanted her to turn around.. They gave her a couple second chances/warnings before her land on the bottom... This week they kept her safe (as she should) and her mind went nuts... Starting for the fact she thought she should be on the top/she was mad for be safe.. That started all the process on her mind as we heard from her ´´oh, maybe the judges were hurt by my roast, thats why I´m not in the top`` to them go further going for the queens/Shea. We didnt see the full roast, alot was edit.. But if the queens roast each other, I can see that already messing up with her mind. 

Again, very talented queen, but you can´t take drag sooo serious. If you want to make far on the show/own the judges and the audience, you have to be able to enjoy the process.

Edited by CaioF
  • Love 1

Idk.  I like Nina.  She brings me drama and she gives me aesthetics, and sometimes that's all I want or need.  I get that RuPaul is cultivating a cetain all around winner in a cabaret sense, but Nina seems to me like a true tortured artist.  And I'm loving her for it.  

13 hours ago, CaioF said:

Again, very talented queen, but you can´t take drag sooo serious. If you want to make far on the show/own the judges and the audience, you have to be able to enjoy the process.

On the one hand, you have to take it seriously enough that you are willing to LISTEN when a guest director/choreographer is giving you feedback to help improve your performance (which Nina doesn't do). But I totally agree that you have to show that you are enjoying being there. To paraphrase Center Stage, performers aren't supposed to make it look like work. We already know it's hard work, but that doesn't mean you have to remind us by complaining about it all the time. Obviously Nina has some kind of trauma in her past that caused her to shut down so completely whenever she doesn't get feedback/comments that are all rainbows and unicorns, and I feel for her because it must be tough to go through life feeling so persecuted, but she really needs to learn how to receive constructive criticism without taking it so personally. Maybe she needs to adopt a drag version of Santino's song, "Lighten up! It's just fashion!"

• Love 5

Finally getting around to watching Untucked and it reminded me of the question I wanted to ask. Was anyone else totally bugged by Alexis's breast pads being a totally different color green from her skin bc the paint just didn't work there. It was bad!

• Love 2
On 5/16/2017 at 9:45 PM, twinkietwin94 said:

Finally getting around to watching Untucked and it reminded me of the question I wanted to ask. Was anyone else totally bugged by Alexis's breast pads being a totally different color green from her skin bc the paint just didn't work there. It was bad!

Those looked like tan fabric breast pads that were covered with the same green that was on her skin, and that's why it looked different.  I think she had them that way to show that they were fake like Michelle's are.  Not the different color, but having them visible like that.  The different color was likely unintentional if she did what I described.  Maybe they looked better in the work room rather than under the stage lights?

The drag queen in the parody did a better makeup job than either of the original queens.

I don't know if I'm going to watch it next year.  The changes this time around have made the show immemorable and I forget to watch it.