Type keyword(s) to search

Roseanne Revival

On 1/14/2018 at 9:19 PM, qtpye said:

Do you think we will ever find out what happened to Ziggy, the original bad boy biker?  It was him leaving them 20K that started the whole bike shop arc.

I always had to laugh when they showed Ziggy. He was supposed to be this hard core, life long biker yet his leathers looked brand new like he'd never worn them. It always kind of took me out of the scenes. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I always had to laugh when they showed Ziggy. He was supposed to be this hard core, life long biker yet his leathers looked brand new like he'd never worn them. It always kind of took me out of the scenes. 

He was sort of like a Harlequin romance version of the bad boy biker...no wonder Becky had a crush on him.

• Love 2
On 7/5/2017 at 11:23 AM, TheLastKidPicked said:

Remember that historically, family comedies were even made to "Improve on Reality" and to provide "Moral Instruction" to us.

And along comes Roseanne, who wants to give a voice for people where jobs aren't perfect, parents aren't perfect, and kids aren't perfect.  But they love each other and get through it with grace and humor.  It ran against the theme of all the hit family shows at the time.

No matter how good the revival might be, they can never recreate the background of when the show debut in 1988.  Those of you old enough to remember know what a big event it was at the time.

This is why I loved the show then.  It wasn’t the Cosby’s even though I loved that show.  Their family was very much like people I grew up with.  It was matter of fact and not overly sweet.  However, to me, it’s a little depressing to come back now if nothing has changed. Same house, same couch, same bad decisions, their kids potentially repeating the same mistakes.  While I hated the last couple of lottery seasons and don’t want to go back there, I was still rooting for the family to move up on and on at least a little—maybe they started listening to Dave Ramsey and got out of debt and don’t think they need a new couch or flooring, or wallpaper...I’ll watch, but I don’t know if I can stick around for a Middle Class Elegy.  

• Love 6
21 hours ago, For Cereals said:

However, to me, it’s a little depressing to come back now if nothing has changed. Same house, same couch, same bad decisions, their kids potentially repeating the same mistakes.  While I hated the last couple of lottery seasons and don’t want to go back there, I was still rooting for the family to move up on and on at least a little—maybe they started listening to Dave Ramsey and got out of debt and don’t think they need a new couch or flooring, or wallpaper...I’ll watch, but I don’t know if I can stick around for a Middle Class Elegy.  

Very interesting that you posted this, as we were discussing that very thing while watching the reruns.

There are things that make for great comedy in your thirties, but are just depressing in your seventies.  

Scraping by with cars that break down, having your electicity shut off, and being turned down for a loan are a few examples that were opportunity for comedy while the family was young, but would just be depressing now that they are older.

• Love 7

Saw an interview with John Goodman and when asked what has changed for the Conner family the past 20 years he commented not much and they were still "struggling to get by". Was really hoping they weren't going to go the depressing route with the reboot. Hopefully Becky, Darlene, and DJ are mildly successful.

• Love 5

I have hopes for DJ. His daughter is young enough that he wasn't too young when she was born. And if he played his cards right with the military he may have gotten some solid job training and/or college degree out of it. Not to mention any GI benefits he might be able to use now. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

And if he played his cards right with the military he may have gotten some solid job training and/or college degree out of it. Not to mention any GI benefits he might be able to use now. 

I know the child's mother is in the military, but have we heard that D.J. was as well?

• Love 1

That's why I was asking - I hadn't heard that, but I read only a small amount of what's out there.

My first reaction is having a hard time picturing D.J. in the military, but quite honestly I have a hard time picturing anyone in the military.  Once I sit back and think about how young he was the last time we saw him, I acknowledge almost any career/education path could be considered in character for him.

• Love 4
On 1/29/2018 at 12:15 PM, peacheslatour said:

I still think it was stupid and short sighted for Dan to quit his job at the City. No wonder they were always broke.

I thought the shop/depot shut down.

What I thought was stupid was spending everything on a trip to Disney (though unfortunately not unrealistic for people in that situation).

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Zoe said:

I thought the shop/depot shut down.

What I thought was stupid was spending everything on a trip to Disney (though unfortunately not unrealistic for people in that situation).

No, he quit to take a job dry walling the new prison. After years of bitching about how much he hated dry walling.

• Love 4

I could definitely see DJ in the military.  There are people in my family like him.  They were down on their luck, troubled losers when they went in and they are still that way now that they are out of the military and in their 50s.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Tenarife60 said:

I could definitely see DJ in the military.  There are people in my family like him.  They were down on their luck, troubled losers when they went in and they are still that way now that they are out of the military and in their 50s.

I could see this. Maybe he married his wife while enlisted and decided that he wanted to be the “at home” parent while his wife stayed in the military and he left the military when his enlistment was complete. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Tenarife60 said:

I wouldn't call DJ a troubled loser from what we've seen on the original show. He was a quirky kid but grew into a "normal" teenager, a lot easier to deal with than Darlene at his age. I can see him choosing the military as the best career option if other jobs in Lanford continue to decline. I imagine the recession would have hit Lanford very hard.

• Love 6

I'm freaking too! I hang my head in utter shame to say I shed a lil tear the first time I heard the table read .  And I had forgotten about the squirrel population comment.  The girls found all those barbie bits under his bed and something else Roseanne had to take care of. I'm watching the marathon now...

• Love 3

I wonder what type of opening we will get with the new season. Most shows don’t get openings anymore, but the theme song was such a part of the show that I can’t see them not using it. I wonder if it will be like the early seasons with the family around the table or if we’ll get the changing pictures like the later seasons. 

• Love 8

As these promos are starting to air, I find it funny that to me it's startling to see how much Roseanne or Michael Fishman have aged versus Laurie and John and the Sarah's. And it's not that the latter haven't aged, it's that I've been seeing them since the show ended in various other projects and it's been a natural progression. With Roseanne and Michael on the other hand this show is really the only thing I've ever seen them in and to me they were much more frozen in time.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

See for me it's the opposite. I think Roseanne has aged better than John, Sarah or Laurie. And my god, Sarah Chalke hasn't aged at all.

I want to know what Fountain of Youth she's drinking from!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And my god, Sarah Chalke hasn't aged at all.

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

I want to know what Fountain of Youth she's drinking from!

It helps when you have someone else playing you most of the time!

• Love 8
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

See for me it's the opposite. I think Roseanne has aged better than John, Sarah or Laurie.

For the record, I absolutely love John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. As for John, I know losing weight is healthy, and I know quite a few years have passed, but his face just looks like it melted but then someone drew in dark eyebrows. And Laurie hasn't lost weight - if anything she has gained, but her face reflects a hard life to me. Granted these are just my opinions on superficial appearances, but every time I see them now, it shocks me.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, llewis823 said:

And Laurie hasn't lost weight - if anything she has gained, but her face reflects a hard life to me.

Of all the cast she is the one I see most often thanks to Big Bang Theory.  To me she has always looked her age, and good for her age at that I should add!  Laurie Metcalfe is 62 and frankly I'm glad she hasn't gone the route of trying to look 30!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, llewis823 said:

For the record, I absolutely love John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf. As for John, I know losing weight is healthy, and I know quite a few years have passed, but his face just looks like it melted but then someone drew in dark eyebrows. And Laurie hasn't lost weight - if anything she has gained, but her face reflects a hard life to me. Granted these are just my opinions on superficial appearances, but every time I see them now, it shocks me.

I'm shocked every time I see John Goodman.  He's one of those people who look better heavier, although I certainly understand why he lost the weight for health reasons.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, break21 said:

He's one of those people who look better heavier, although I certainly understand why he lost the weight for health reasons.

It may be a case of his looking better younger. We all get to live off our youth for awhile. But after a certain age, we often can't escape the effects of longtime habits, even those we've outgrown or overcome.  

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, Pallas said:

It may be a case of his looking better younger. We all get to live off our youth for awhile. But after a certain age, we often can't escape the effects of longtime habits, even those we've outgrown or overcome.  

Ain't that the truth.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, break21 said:

I'm shocked every time I see John Goodman.  He's one of those people who look better heavier, although I certainly understand why he lost the weight for health reasons.

The way he looks now is probably as a result of health complications he's had due to him being overweight all those years.

He was pretty slim during season 6 I think it was. Didn't look that much different. 

Aging sucks.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

On the 20/20 show they revealed that not only is DJ married to a black woman, it’s the same girl he refused to kiss in his elementary school play.  Cute twist.

I wonder if it will be the same actress who played Gina?

Did you notice in the one part when they were doing the table read from back when the show was airing and the black lady who played Roseanne's co-worker on her first day at Rodbell's was there?  I wonder what happened to her and why she only made one appearance, then Bonnie took over that role.  It made me wonder if Roseanne didn't fire her because she said she was always firing people.  That poor girl didn't even get a year on the show, but only one episode.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

On the 20/20 show they revealed that not only is DJ married to a black woman, it’s the same girl he refused to kiss in his elementary school play.  Cute twist.

Yep, we called it. 

It made me wonder if Roseanne didn't fire her because she said she was always firing people.  That poor girl didn't even get a year on the show, but only one episode.

Last night I dreamed she fired me. I woke up pissed.

• Love 9

The ABC special about the revival was rather joyful; there was nothing new learned (except confirmation D.J. has married Gina, the girl he wouldn't kiss in the play) and nothing old revealed for the first time, but it still left me giddy with anticipation.  I loved all the behind the scenes glimpses, the old table reads maybe as much as the new ones. 

Their reactions to the rebuilt set were terrific.  I love everyone wanting the chicken shirt and the afghan to reappear.  I’m excited by both, plus the Godzilla.  Add in corn, and I’m good.

The Roseanne Barr/Matt Williams conflict is one for the ages, and I think Marcy Carsey (inspiration for Kathy Bowman) – who, by all accounts from those I know working in TV at that time, tries to play both sides to create good product, but who is also quite duplicitous - was somewhat the root of it.  I’ve always loved this recounting of Barr’s side of things.  

I’ve also always loved - well, hated, but loved being revealed - the story of when Roseanne got the chocolate number one, as opposed to the huge rewards men got for the same triumph, so I liked that coming up again. 

Saying the final season was a story is wrong, though; the whole series was a book – some of which was directly copied from real life, some of which was entirely fictional, and some of which was a slightly-altered version of reality.  I think this means, especially since we already know Dan is alive in the revival, they’re going to play seasons eight and nine (and somehow only season nine gets mentioned in such scenarios, but Darlene’s wedding, at which Dan had the heart attack that either killed him or didn't, was not the end of season eight, but a few episodes before) as the book that they dismiss via whatever storyline they come up with, and in the grand scheme of things – even though I’m one of three fans who liked the “it was all a book” revelation – I’m fine with that, but I’m still a little grumbly at the misrepresentation.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

I wonder if it will be the same actress who played Gina?

Did you notice in the one part when they were doing the table read from back when the show was airing and the black lady who played Roseanne's co-worker on her first day at Rodbell's was there?  I wonder what happened to her and why she only made one appearance, then Bonnie took over that role.  It made me wonder if Roseanne didn't fire her because she said she was always firing people.  That poor girl didn't even get a year on the show, but only one episode.

She was probably just a fill in because Bonnie Sheridan/Bramlett wasn't available at the time.

It's like in season 4 with Sandra Bernhard. There's a couple episodes where they mention Nancy but she isn't shown (the Halloween ep in particular). She finally appears in the Vegas Vegas episode. They obviously knew they were introducing her at the beginning of the season because Arnie's previous girlfriend's name was Sharon so they created a brand new character for Sandra.

I always just figured Sandra wasn't available until a bit later so they didn't introduce her right away.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Saying the final season was a story is wrong, though; the whole series was a book – some of which was directly copied from real life, some of which was entirely fictional, and some of which was a slightly-altered version of reality.  I think this means, especially since we already know Dan is alive in the revival, they’re going to play seasons eight and nine (and somehow only season nine gets mentioned in such scenarios, but Darlene’s wedding, at which Dan had the heart attack that either killed him or didn't, was not the end of season eight, but a few episodes before) as the book that they dismiss via whatever storyline they come up with, and in the grand scheme of things – even though I’m one of three fans who liked the “it was all a book” revelation – I’m fine with that, but I’m still a little grumbly at the misrepresentation.

I don't mind them using that as the explanation for anything on the revival that doesn't match the series finale or any plot in the final season.  I find it more annoying that the multiple, multiple news articles about the revival mention "how will they resolve Dan's death" every, single, time.  Only because the "it was a story" excuse is such an easy way out it makes the article writers look uninformed for not even bringing it up as a possibility or like they're trying to click bait readers by stirring up controversy (which we know they do anyway so that's the more likely reason).

But yeah - rant aside - I think if they address it at all it's going to be the "I'm a writer I took poetic license and fictionalized our lives" route.

I liked the 20/20 show.  When they talked about casting they didn't mention the original DJ; Sal Barone.  Guess they figured it wasn't important to the history of the show.  He was in the original pilot but let go because he couldn't get along with Sarah Gilbert and when the writers strike delayed the show he grew too much during the delay.  Also no mention of Glenn Quinn; they didn't have to reveal how they'll resolve having no Mark on the show but it would have been nice to acknowledge him a little bit.  And no mention of casting Jerry or Andy.   Rumor is Jerry is mentioned at some point and is working out of state, possibly Alaska.  I guess though with only 9 episodes they can only cover so much.

The one thing that made me curious - showing the cast on set during the special the stairs were normal.  The same set behind Joy Behar had one of those electric stair seats installed; really wondering if that's part of the show and who it's going to be for (Beverly maybe?)

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I don't mind them using that as the explanation for anything on the revival that doesn't match the series finale or any plot in the final season.  I find it more annoying that the multiple, multiple news articles about the revival mention "how will they resolve Dan's death" every, single, time.  Only because the "it was a story" excuse is such an easy way out it makes the article writers look uninformed for not even bringing it up as a possibility or like they're trying to click bait readers by stirring up controversy (which we know they do anyway so that's the more likely reason).

But yeah - rant aside - I think if they address it at all it's going to be the "I'm a writer I took poetic license and fictionalized our lives" route.

I liked the 20/20 show.  When they talked about casting they didn't mention the original DJ; Sal Barone.  Guess they figured it wasn't important to the history of the show.  He was in the original pilot but let go because he couldn't get along with Sarah Gilbert and when the writers strike delayed the show he grew too much during the delay.  Also no mention of Glenn Quinn; they didn't have to reveal how they'll resolve having no Mark on the show but it would have been nice to acknowledge him a little bit.  And no mention of casting Jerry or Andy.   Rumor is Jerry is mentioned at some point and is working out of state, possibly Alaska.  I guess though with only 9 episodes they can only cover so much.

The one thing that made me curious - showing the cast on set during the special the stairs were normal.  The same set behind Joy Behar had one of those electric stair seats installed; really wondering if that's part of the show and who it's going to be for (Beverly maybe?)

I liked the special and was surprised about things you mentioned that they didn’t talk about. 

Seeing the set almost identical was a bit disappointing. I was hoping that there would have been one or two updates of the set, even if it had been a new furniture set or a few small updates to the kitchen. I was surprised to see the old phone still on the wall. It just seemed strange in today’s modern cell phone age. 

• Love 5

I watched the 20/20 special last night and literally grinned for an hour.  I don't care how they explain the last season, or even if they do or don't. I am just so happy to see my old friends The Connors again that I really don't care!  Also excited to see Debs from Shameless as I haven't seen her in anything else and she is perfectly cast, looks wise, as Darlene and David's daughter.  Agree with other posters that JG is one of those people who look better a little overweight....Al Roker too.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I liked the special and was surprised about things you mentioned that they didn’t talk about. 

Seeing the set almost identical was a bit disappointing. I was hoping that there would have been one or two updates of the set, even if it had been a new furniture set or a few small updates to the kitchen. I was surprised to see the old phone still on the wall. It just seemed strange in today’s modern cell phone age. 

It looked like the sofa may have been different, but I agree about other parts of the house.  Although my grandmothers house was probably 60+plus years old when she died and the kitchen and the bathroom had never been remodeled or changed in all of that time.  Most of her furniture was also from back in the '70s if not older.  She died about 4 years ago and her house looked like it was caught in a time warp.

I also wondered why they didn't talk about some of the cast members, like Crystal because she was a regular throughout the show, and I wonder if it means Chuck will be back since he was interviewed?  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Stacey1014 said:

I was surprised to see the old phone still on the wall. It just seemed strange in today’s modern cell phone age. 

A lot of people of Roseanne and Dan's generation refuse to get cell phones. And if the old phone still works, I can see them keeping it.

19 minutes ago, Tenarife60 said:

I also wondered why they didn't talk about some of the cast members, like Crystal because she was a regular throughout the show, and I wonder if it means Chuck will be back since he was interviewed?  

I've heard that both Chuck and Crystal will be back. James Pickens Jr was interviewed because he's on one of ABC's biggest moneymakers, Grey's Anatomy. The 20/20 special was trying to emphasize all the great things Roseanne actors have gone on to do.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Tenarife60 said:

Chuck (and Anne Marie) and Crystal will be appearing for at least one episode.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

A lot of people of Roseanne and Dan's generation refuse to get cell phones. And if the old phone still works, I can see them keeping it.

Yes! My parents are from Dan and Roseanne’s generation and it took them forever to get cellphones. Them having them has it’s downsides, though. For instance, even though I’m in my thirties, it terrifies my mom that I live in Philadelphia and it makes her feel better to be able to get ahold of me whenever anything negative happens within 30 square miles of the city. =) 

They still have their landline though, and I doubt they’ll ever get rid of it even though the only people who call that line are telemarketers. 

54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Chuck (and Anne Marie) and Crystal will be appearing for at least one episode.

Yay!!! So excited to see Chuck and Anne Marie again!! James Pickens Jr. reprised his old role on the new X-Files season as well, and since I was unspoiled it was a great surprise. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Yes! My parents are from Dan and Roseanne’s generation and it took them forever to get cellphones. Them having them has it’s downsides, though. For instance, even though I’m in my thirties, it terrifies my mom that I live in Philadelphia and it makes her feel better to be able to get ahold of me whenever anything negative happens within 30 square miles of the city. =) 

They still have their landline though, and I doubt they’ll ever get rid of it even though the only people who call that line are telemarketers. 

Yay!!! So excited to see Chuck and Anne Marie again!! James Pickens Jr. reprised his old role on the new X-Files season as well, and since I was unspoiled it was a great surprise. 

That explains why Chief Webber seemed to be a bit absent this season on Grey's! James Pickens Jr is a busy man.