Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: IHOP

Yay!  It looks like finally some of the chess pieces they've been endlessly setting up all season, and even in past seasons will finally make a few moves!

So, the CIA hasn't really given up on Oleg!  No surprise there, because I never bought Stan's blackmail working.  Thank heavens for that, because it was my biggest WTF of this entire season so far.

The virus is back?  They are digging up Hans?  Woo!  Also, I'm glad to see something happening with Tuan, Philip and Elizabeth have really ignored him, and not been good spies there...I hope, hope, hope it's big.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I'm glad to see something happening with Tuan, Philip and Elizabeth have really ignored him, and not been good spies there...I hope, hope, hope it's big.

I never saw Philip and Elizabeth as ignoring Tuan—it seemed more like benign neglect to me, because for a while there, they were stretched really thin—but clearly he was given a bit too much independence. He's tamped down a lot of his impulses, but he's also obviously ready to blow. I'm really excited to see what happens. 

• Love 4

At least twice we've seen Tuan practically begging Philip and Elizabeth to come around more, to BE there sometimes.  They are his cover after all, but it could be loneliness as well.  Everyone needs someone to talk to, his a junior William at this point, mostly left totally alone.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I never saw Philip and Elizabeth as ignoring Tuan—it seemed more like benign neglect to me, because for a while there, they were stretched really thin—but clearly he was given a bit too much independence. He's tamped down a lot of his impulses, but he's also obviously ready to blow. I'm really excited to see what happens. 

And also, he's a professional. They're not his parents. They're probably relieved that they've got another officer who can babysit one of their operations while they're running their business, dealing with their own kids and running off to sleep with the other two. It's really unreasonable to think it's also their job to keep this other professional from being lonely. If he's working the job, he's expected to be able to stay home at night.

And if he's off doing something to deal with his loneliness that's a problem...that's on him. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

Yay!  It looks like finally some of the chess pieces they've been endlessly setting up all season, and even in past seasons will finally make a few moves!

So, the CIA hasn't really given up on Oleg!  No surprise there, because I never bought Stan's blackmail working.  Thank heavens for that, because it was my biggest WTF of this entire season so far.

The virus is back?  They are digging up Hans?  Woo!  Also, I'm glad to see something happening with Tuan, Philip and Elizabeth have really ignored him, and not been good spies there...I hope, hope, hope it's big.

Yeah. I was just saying in the other thread that the idea of Stan getting away with blackmail long term is ridiculous. 

It sounds like possibly the soviets mishandled the virus- exactly what everyone was afraid of. So- the centre screws up again. Philip will be thrilled. Come to think of it, if they really do mess up, that might remind Elizabeth of Young Hee. She'd have ruined her life just for her own people to die. 

I'm to see Gaad's death brought up again. That's been hanging awhile. 

I wonder what Henry's "startling" proposition is. He wants to join the FBI? Lol He may well be the kid most suited to spy work. Just like mom and Dad. 

I hope Tuon is going somewhere. This op was do-able, though more difficult, without him.

• Love 4

Curfew breaking Tuan appears to be in character as Teenage Tuan, so I'm guessing it's something harmless and inconsequential, like, "I'm a bored latch key kid!", or less harmless, but authentic ignored 80s teen, like, "I was doing speedball with the football team, Kimmy was there!"  

avo1sx.png

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Umbelina said:

At least twice we've seen Tuan practically begging Philip and Elizabeth to come around more, to BE there sometimes.  They are his cover after all, but it could be loneliness as well.  Everyone needs someone to talk to, his a junior William at this point, mostly left totally alone.

I don't think that it is unreasonable for Tuan to be lonely, needy or seeking validation considering his age (early 20s?) and life experiences. From a story telling perspective, it may be unreasonable to assume that P&E can fill that void. (They have their own kids to worry about it.) But isn't that a risk with recruitment of young people to the spy game? 

Too bad that Hans is dead; he could have been Tuan's BFF.

51 minutes ago, Erin9 said:

I'm to see Gaad's death brought up again. That's been hanging awhile. 

Absolutely! That was a "Wha.." moment for me. I was hoping for a peaceful retirement for Gaad but happy endings may be rarity on this show.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Curfew breaking Tuan appears to be in character as Teenage Tuan, so I'm guessing it's something harmless and inconsequential, like, "I'm a bored latch key kid!", or less harmless, but authentic ignored 80s teen, like, "I was doing speedball with the football team, Kimmy was there!"  

Based on my experience with Mad Men, it's going to be something harmless. They edited it to make it look super big and serious, but it won't play that way during the episode. 

4 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

I don't think that it is unreasonable for Tuan to be lonely, needy or seeking validation considering his age (early 20s?) and life experiences. From a story telling perspective, it may be unreasonable to assume that P&E can fill that void. (They have their own kids to worry about it.) But isn't that a risk with recruitment of young people to the spy game? 

Too bad that Hans is dead; he could have been Tuan's BFF.

You would think that they would have learned from Will that an agent alone for long periods of time is dangerous. 

• Love 3

I'm assuming that IHOP is the International House of Pancakes so if they are open 24 hours maybe Tuan was there in the middle of the night just for some company.

This isn't a spoiler I'm just hazarding a guess. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

You would think that they would have learned from Will that an agent alone for long periods of time is dangerous. 

Wouldn't they learn the opposite from William? He worked diligently for years and then died heroically protecting his comrades. That stamp wasn't out of the question!

Edited by sistermagpie

That's not the promo I saw after Tuesday's episode - did anyone else see the one where... (spoiler below)

Spoiler

...Gabriel goes to visit Martha in Russia!   Can't wait for that !!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Based on my experience with Mad Men, it's going to be something harmless. They edited it to make it look super big and serious, but it won't play that way during the episode. 

Maybe this time. We'll see. But long term, he's a loose cannon imo. If he's not a problem now, he will be. 

If the centre has indeed screwed up with the virus, and getting it home just caused more deaths rather than helping protect their country,  then there's also the needless death of Hans. I forgot about him earlier.  He was Elizabeth's protege. Young Hee was her asset. Maybe she'll be able to gloss over it, saying mistakes happen. But both of those people meant something to her. Plus, William. I think it goes without saying it will bother Philip. 

Also, I could just see the centre needing more wheat because they screwed up. A theme of the season is how everything is falling apart back home. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Janc said:

That's not the promo I saw after Tuesday's episode - did anyone else see the one where... (spoiler below)

Reveal hidden contents

I cannot find the promo that you are referencing. However, there are episode photos at Spoiler TV...

Spoiler

...that show Martha in a dark apartment. In one or two of the photos, it seems that she is looking at someone else. Maybe this supports what you saw.

13 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Some of those promo pics look like a direct re-staging of 

Reveal hidden contents

the infamous "Stingers" confrontation with Paige.

Can you refresh my memory? I don't remember what that is. Thanks!

Tuan got some form of shell shock from the war he was in as a kid. You can tell he a total psycho. He even to kill happy for E & P.  He going to be going to that big KGB safe house in the sky soon.  

Edited by White Sheep
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2017 at 11:07 AM, Janc said:

Reveal hidden contents

If you're imagining things, then so am I, because I could have sworn I saw such a promo.  Are you in Canada?  Sometimes we get different promos than the U.S.

4 hours ago, Trillian said:

If you're imagining things, then so am I, because I could have sworn I saw such a promo.  Are you in Canada?  Sometimes we get different promos than the U.S.

Yep, Canadian.... lucky us being spoiled on that great scene!  Maybe they played it early and it's for next Tuesday's episode-? 

7 minutes ago, Janc said:

Yep, Canadian.... lucky us being spoiled on that great scene!  Maybe they played it early and it's for next Tuesday's episode-? 

The pictures from tonight's ep seem to confirm it's for tonight.

3 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

So Henry wants to go to Hogwarts and Philip and Elizabeth Dursley are freaked out. 

I thought of Harry Potter too when he said jackets and ties!!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Poor Martha was at her Poor Marthiest yet!!

The Martha and Gabriel scene was incredible...and sad.  Of course it was only a matter of time before Martha put the pieces together.  For both her drab life and her drab clothes I bet she thought about it a lot.  My guess is that she wishes she had chosen prison.

But hey at least is learning a bit of Russian.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 17
(edited)

I thought the episode was good but I still feel like the show is dragging their feet with the story this year.  9 episodes in and none of the episodes have stood out.

The highlight was definitely Gabriel and Martha.  I know Gabriel is KGB but I felt pretty bad for him there.

Letting Henry go to that school would be a good idea for Philip and Elizabeth.

Stan is a real weasel trying to get Gaad's wife to make a decision for him.  That was a very good scene too.  On the whole, there were a lot of very good scenes but still, I don't think this season has been great.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 13

I want to know more about that poor girl who takes and gives messages.  I think she works 24/7 and can't leave her apartment.  She's like Martha if she lives such a solitary life. 

• Love 12
(edited)
18 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

So Henry wants to go to Hogwarts and Philip and Elizabeth Dursley are freaked out. 

Hogwarts? Sounds more like Henry's aspiring to be the villain in an 80s teen movie. I'm not sure what to make of Elizabeth's reaction to Henry literally using the word "capitalize" to tell her he wants to become one of the ruling class and she seems to think it's a good idea, the woman who's obsessed with making sure Paige is as much like her as possible. I can't imagine her agreeing to something like that for her (she didn't even want her to go to Christian camp for the summer). She really does seem to just think Henry's a lost cause sometimes.

On Philip's side, it reminded me of the opening scene talking to Kimmie about his fake son based on his real son. I think he does get that while sending Henry away might keep him away from this stuff (or not--he'd be even more attractive to the Centre hanging around with sons and daughters of the 1%) he actually would like to know his kid. It really is sad to think of the little we've seen of Philip's childhood contrasted with Henry feeling entitled to go to Eton since he's started doing his homework and is too good for public school. I was dying to know how the two of them understood that relative to their own schooling. (But then, who knows what Philip feels about that--can we please have more flashbacks? They seem even more relevant now!)

This ep was compelling throughout for me and I'll just say it...I think it lost some dead weight and it helped. A vacation from Paige was very welcome. Much more enjoyed time with Kimmie and Tuan (awwww! He's not a sociopath!), Oleg and his family and Dimitri, Henry and the refreshingly different parenting questions he brings up, Elizabeth not focusing on Paige and, of course, Gabriel and Martha. No, he didn't bring news. He's just an old man full of regret trying to make things a little better. How much you bet Mischa will be on his list of people to see?

Alison Wright was great, btw. Just amazing in that scene. Though as sorry as I am for her, this is actually the choice she made. I don't mean the USSR but spying. Nice that the KGB is trying to fix her up! They've had some success there, Martha!

Oh, also Stan and Gaad's wife. Wasn't Gaad a Buddhist? He's one of those vengeful Buddhists, I guess. Ha!

p.s. I'm actually thinking I was wrong about Henry to some extent. Unless he's covering up, he seems genuinely arrogant and entitled, if not to the point of disliking him.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 9
(edited)

I see a Best Guest Emmy nomination for Allison Wright for her stunning performance. Yes, it may have only been one scene but...what a scene.

Finally dawned on me who Kimmie reminded me of...anyone remember that young British actress Emily Lloyd who was so good in Wish You Were Here, did a few American movies and then disappeared? They look a lot alike.  

Didn't Tuan mention a brother visiting from South Africa early on this season?

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 7
(edited)

Can anyone remind me how the hemorrhagic fever was supposed to help after a nuclear attack?

Henry going to Saint Edwards (aka Saint Paul's IRL) would resolve s lot of logistical problems for the gang, and he could get an in with all the elite that they may be able to exploit. Still, ideologically I can see why P&E would be Icked out by it on principle.

I agree with the recapper, the look Martha threw at Gabriel when he commented that her snack looked delicious was priceless.

Nice contrast between Martha's sad apartment and Oleg's family beautiful digs. It's good to be a high-ranking party apparatchik!

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 8
(edited)

The Centre would be really into smart to have a child of an illegal hobnobbing with the 1% as he/she would have access to homes, boats and cars as he/she would be BFFs with some of their kids AND some of these kids would soon be in positions of power just like their family.

Edited by crgirl412
clarity
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Sounds more like Henry's aspiring to be the villain in an 80s teen movie.

Yep.  While Phillip and Elizabeth are doing their best to turn Paige into a communist, Henry is stealthily being recruited by capitalists. 

I enjoyed this episode more than I've enjoyed most of the episodes this season.  For one, the guest stars actually had emotional heft.  Even Kimmie. And while I've always liked what they've done with Martha in that she was more realized as a human being/woman than her initial appearance would seem, I never would have suspected in the early days that a short appearance by her would be such a highlight in the fifth season. 

Also, I'm kind of shipping her with Oleg.  I can't help but wonder if those two melancholy somewhat-out-of-place ex-close-to-Stan types are destined for one another.

Oleg's story was satisfying too.  My second favorite scene, after the one with Martha and Gabriel, was his father talking about what happened to his wife and why he made the choices/sacrifices he made.  Then for Gabriel to use it to manipulate the name out of the guy in jail was masterful.

• Love 8
(edited)

I really enjoyed this episode. Lots of surprises- from the very beginning. 

I nearly fell over when we saw Kimmie again. I love that this show consistently brings characters and plots back from long ago. Gotta love Philip agreeing he just didn't want to screw his kids up too much. Question is how. 

And what do you know- after Philip had to listen to a ton of nonsense, he found out it's possible the Soviet Union is using the virus as a weapon, rather than as the protective device for their people. (My understanding is it was to make them more equal with the Americans weapons wise. .) Uh-oh. Clever twist I hadn't thought of. Philip is not happy.  Don't think Elizabeth was either. 

I can't believe Wolfe is still giving Stan an option about the tape. What kind of boss is he? Speaking of, I like Oleg. I admire that Stan doesn't want to screw him. But I hated him at Gaad's wife's home. He was basically asking her and- and through her- Gaad's permission to not look into his death. What a bastard. How dare he come to her home with that. Especially when she pointed out how thoughtful the FBI had been post Gaad's death. (Loads of sarcasm there.) Loved her shutting Stan down by saying Gaad would want revenge. I think he would too. And he deserves some form of justice. His life was worth something too. 

Poor Oleg. All these questions can't be going anywhere good. But- what a powerful, heartbreaking scene between him and his dad about the camps, how he waited for her and how changed yelena was when she came home. I hope they don't lose their only other child. 

Henry!! So he wants to go to a prestigious boarding school. I love that he's  excited and ambitious. Good for him. And, yeah, he likes Chris too. And I like that he's not doing it out of anger or resentment towards his parents. I hope he doesn't go though. He's got too much to discover at home!! Figures Philip would want him to stay. I can see that.   He wants to see his kid. And I think he thinks it's a bit over the top. I did like Philip starting to contrast his early life with this one and Henry's extravagant dreams. Henry has no clue how good he's had it. Maybe someday we'll get lucky and Philip will fill him in. It's also fair to wonder if Henry's enthusiasm will last. 

And Martha and Gabriel. Two sad, lonely people used by the KGB. It's safe to say Martha gets the truth about Clark now. I did like Gabriel reminiscing that Philip had made him contact her parents. I loved that Philip stood at the pay phone while he called- to be sure he did it. But poor Martha- no actual contact with her family. No friends. Not surprising really though. But all things considered, decently cared for it seems. 

Interesting about Tuon. He has secrets too. Loved Philip and Elizabeth projecting- he's over spying and yeah Elizabeth is still dedicated- for now. But she's questioning things too. 

Wow. When was the last time Paige wasn't in an episode? 

I think I need to re-watch. I'm not sure what was up with that scene with Philip and the priest. I guess more is coming there. Loved him telling Philip to pray. I wonder if it is at all possible that Philip will find religion. 

Edited by Erin9
  • Love 12
On 4/27/2017 at 2:19 PM, Erin9 said:

Also, I could just see the centre needing more wheat because they screwed up. A theme of the season is how everything is falling apart back home. 

I was going to post something similar to this. It seems like the wheels really are coming off the Russian bus and P and E are beginning to question whether they are being told the truth about what they are doing and why – the wheat issue overall – from killing the guy in the lab and assuming that the wheat research was nefarious when it fact it wasn’t, now the disease being used in warfare (remember, Philip said the victims were Mujhadeen, and that maybe they wanted it to fight in Aghanistan rather than as post-nuclear war protection). Philip has been questioning things for a while, but now Elizabeth – the unwavering loyalist – is starting to raise eyebrows as well. Its subtle and is the long play, but that is generally how life works – and changing your entire life view and everything you’ve ever believed in – is not going to happen overnight – but they are definitely moving them toward something not in support of Mother Russia. And now with Gabriel gone and Grandma back, they have no trust with her either.

I’m beginning to wonder if the end game is that they decide, when Glasnost happens and Reagan and Gorby kumbyah, to defect and spill all (through Stan?) in exchange for a safe and financed American life in the best interest of their kids.

Oh, and on the shallow side, I am perfectly fine with as many long shots of Oleg sitting in a chair looking pensive as they want to give us. 

• Love 11

I can't believe his own parents hate Henry.  The reaction to him doing well at school - "he's even doing better than Paige!" in a tone of utter disbelief.

Poor Martha is right.  I wish they'd integrate Oleg into some more central story-line soon.  I guess it's pretty clear that's he's not coming back to America, but will spy (either willingly because of his mother, or unwilling because of Stan).

Best part of the episode for me:  NO PAIGE.  Second best part:  The death stare Lizabeth turned on Tuan, boy did she look scary, 

• Love 5

i am still confused about Tuan...and exactly who he works for...maybe the writers could give some of us more feeble viewers a clue. I thought the Vietnamese, who had lent him to the KGB, but maybe I am wrong. In any event, the long trip to the IHOP and then his story about a sick bro with leukemia...seems weak. You know, he's gay, he has a dangerous lover, he's selling P & E to someone else...something more interesting.

And Kimmie returns...with a birthday cake and a weird interest in a not very sexy old guy...and no action. I am not really buying it at all. She would be bored with him by now...especially if he's bypassing seducing her with some sad born-again line. Exactly how is Philip keeping this going. 

If Henry wants to leave the show...fine. But please take Paige with you. You could both wear ties and serve as waiters. Philip does not want to be left, and seems upset that boarding school is training for the Ivy League. Liz seems to see possibilities of using Henry as entree to the upper levels of society.

And finally Martha. How I love Alison Wright. Let me count the ways...great in Feud, even better in Sneaky Pete...but best of all as utterly betrayed Martha, no longer confused, no longer a pawn, now utterly clear that she has been used, abandoned and would have had a happier life, and better meals, in a Federal prison. At least her parents could visit her, and know her whereabouts. And she could hope to get out one day. This is a life sentence. Martha's life was more frightening and bleak than Dmitri in his frozen jail cell.

• Love 12

What was the Russian Orthodox priest talking about??  Another priest getting drunk and being influenced by yet another priest??

I felt so bad for Gaads's wife!  Gaad would want revenge??  Hmmmm.....

@Mumbles, I think Hemorrhagic Fever would kill people far faster than the than those left to get horrible cancers so I think it's a compassionate way to end their suffering.  IMHO that's what they mean.  

I never really liked Martha but there's no way I can fault her for being pissed off ! She sure got the short end of the stick, I wonder if a bullet to the head like they did with Nina might have been more humane. She's alive, but is she living ? And all because she fell in love, sure she told "Clark" things she should not have, but who hasn't done dumb things for love ? Since revenge was mentioned in the episode, I hope she learns Russian very well and somehow gets * her* revenge.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Can anyone remind me how the hemorrhagic fever was supposed to help after a nuclear attack?

I believe the idea was that after the attack the US would release the virus. Basically they just wanted to be able to defend against it if it was used against them. Though it does seem a bit unlikely it's being used in Afghanistan.

3 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

i am still confused about Tuan...and exactly who he works for...maybe the writers could give some of us more feeble viewers a clue. I thought the Vietnamese, who had lent him to the KGB, but maybe I am wrong.

Yes, he's Vietnamese intelligence.

4 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

And finally Martha. How I love Alison Wright. Let me count the ways...great in Feud, even better in Sneaky Pete...but best of all as utterly betrayed Martha, no longer confused, no longer a pawn, now utterly clear that she has been used, abandoned and would have had a happier life, and better meals, in a Federal prison. At least her parents could visit her, and know her whereabouts. And she could hope to get out one day. This is a life sentence. Martha's life was more frightening and bleak than Dmitri in his frozen jail cell.

Wow, I disagree. Yes, it's very hard adjusting to life in a new country but US prison is not good either. Moscow in 1984 isn't that terrible, imo. So she's cooking a small meal at home in her own apartment? That's what she was doing in DC before she met Clark. The KGB is responsible for everything they did to her, but she also actively participated because she thought she'd get a grand romance in return.

8 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I can't believe his own parents hate Henry.  The reaction to him doing well at school - "he's even doing better than Paige!" in a tone of utter disbelief.

Who says they hate him? They're surprised at him doing better than Paige because Henry's always been a big slacker. There's been references throughout the show to them having to nag him to do his work. Henry's earned their disbelief. And now that he's working hard he wants something for it--a fancy private school. He sees working hard in school as something he does when he has a personal reason for it, not something that is just expected. They don't  hate him, they just know him.

I do wonder if Philip's right in thinking that he would tire of the ties etc. I think he actually could be very right in thinking that he could get sidetracked by partying or something.

• Love 19

Great episode - brought out the big guns tonight !!  

Thought E would have questioned Tuan about where he was until 3 am (or after) the night she dropped by.  Did I miss it?

• Love 5

It was clever that we saw Martha again, having accepted the reality of her and clark's relationship, the treason she'd committed for it  and thus the ruin of her own life,  in the same episode we talked about Gaad's death again. Martha's deception trashed his career and, who knows, maybe the reason the KGB sought him out was because he'd been forcibly retired. Either way, she helped ruin his life. Nice tie- in though. Well done writers. 

And because I can't say it too many times tonight: I hated Stan. What a thoughtless, self centered bastard to seek out Gaad's wife like that. 

• Love 9

I thought it was interesting the Elizabeth is having "feelings" about their operations now. Last season when Philip broke off a meeting with William because he "had a bad feeling," Elizabeth thought he was crazy and demanded to know what he saw that justified his hunch. Now she's starting and stopping investigations based on little more than what her own intuition is telling her -- when that intuition seems to have more to do with her feelings about her family than what's actually going on with Tuan and his operation.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Valmarmar said:

Thought E would have questioned Tuan about where he was until 3 am (or after) the night she dropped by.  Did I miss it?

He never came home that night.  When she got home, she told Phillip that she waited until 3am and he didn't show up.

• Love 1