Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: The Cognition Regeneration

"The Cognition Regeneration" - Leonard isn't thrilled when Penny considers taking a new job offered by her ex-boyfriend, Zack (Brian Thomas Smith), on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, April 27 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.

Penny and Leonard were so annoying!  It's not a binary choice!  Penny can be a pharm rep or sell Zack's menus?  Those are the only two jobs in the greater Los Angeles area?  Argh.

Loved/hated the ventriloquist revelation.  I find those dolls incredibly creepy but Howard and Bernadette's interaction was the highlight of the episode.

• Love 6
Just now, Frost said:

Penny and Leonard were so annoying!  It's not a binary choice!  Penny can be a pharm rep or sell Zack's menus?  Those are the only two jobs in the greater Los Angeles area?  Argh.

Yup. Time to update her resume and start interviewing. Why remain unhappy?

• Love 2

Had this been brought up before? About her job? I don't seem to remember which is also why having dinner with your ex is the first time you bring it up?

I really used to love the show but lately it seems to be falling off the skids.

• Love 1

Yeah, Penny's job unhappiness seemed to come out of nowhere. I thought she liked being good at her job and earning a hefty paycheck.

The Leonard and Penny relationship is so...tired. Do they even seem happy with each other? Seems like every episode they're either fighting or having some dramatic conversation or making jokes about the other. Both seem discontent. Hell, Amy and Sheldon seem to communicate better.

And the show was renewed for 2 more seasons. That's a lot. They really, really need to shake things up (and by that I don't mean add another baby into the mix). I'd be mildly impressed if they had the balls to have Penny and Leonard divorce (2 more seasons would be plenty of time to get them back together, if that's the way they decide to go).

• Love 2

I thought I remember Penny bringing it up before that she wasn't completely happy with her new job.  If she's really unhappy she should start looking, but Penny has never really been a go-getter.

Overall the show was pretty dull though.

• Love 4

In the episode where they go to the mountain cabin Penny tells Leonard she really dislikes her job and is very unhappy with it.  I had expected that to be the springboard to her trying to get back into acting but then they seemed to drop it.   I was wondering when it would come back up.  I think it's pretty understandable why Penny would stay in a job she doesn't like - she is a community college drop out who's spent most of her adult life working at the Cheesecake Factory she isn't going to just walk into another job making the kind of money she makes as a pharmacy rep.  That would be very very hard to walk away from.  There are a lot of people out there working jobs they hate because they need that paycheque.   One of the few money related things that BBT gets right IMO.

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, DkNNy79 said:

If she's really unhappy she should start looking, but Penny has never really been a go-getter.

I think she's grown to dislike the interview process from all of the times she's been rejected, and only went for her current job because she wasn't going to say no to Bernadette. Any new opportunity would have to look like a slam dunk for her to pursue it.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this episode. It felt more like The Big Bang Theory than it has in a while. I know it's close to impossible to get everyone in a scene together, but I really like the way they broke up the cast into smaller groups. It felt like everyone was on the same show, as opposed to the standard groupings each off in thier little world/seperate mini show. The girls night out at the start was fun, and it would be great to see more scenes like that. I liked that Leonard went to Raj and Howard for advice, while Penny talked to Bernadette and Amy. It was silly (in a good fun way) to have Sheldon go to Howard to learn how to juggle.  

• Love 6

Isn't a little surprising that they are working on a top secret government project but they just blab about it to anyone they run into?  I wonder if there are going to be some repercussions from that?

3 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

They really, really need to shake things up (and by that I don't mean add another baby into the mix). I'd be mildly impressed if they had the balls to have Penny and Leonard divorce (2 more seasons would be plenty of time to get them back together, if that's the way they decide to go).

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing them divorce, but the thought of watching them get back together again sounds like pulling teeth.  I say they made their bed, let them lie in it.

1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

In the episode where they go to the mountain cabin Penny tells Leonard she really dislikes her job and is very unhappy with it.

I remember that one.  They got trapped in the cabin with Fred and Ethel when there is an avalanche - oh wait, that's the wrong series.

• Love 7

Hmmm....Sheldon's a quitter.

Duh. 

If he's not naturally good at something, he won't do it and derides anyone who deigns to be good at something he can't do at all. BIG surprise

Penny hates her job and finally decided to look for another one. Good for her. Oh. Wait. Loser Leonard feels "some kinda way"about it.  He wants her to stay at the well paying job where she has to flirt and show her tits and not wear her wedding ring to get sales....you know...the one she hates because she has to flirt, show her tits and not wear her wedding ring to get sales? Damn Leonard. What's wrong with you that you think this is a good job? What does that say about you as a man that you'd be COOL with her doing that for a living? That's just sick. This couple is just SICK.

A normal husband, not a "Lorre" Husband would encourage his wife - nay- HELP his wife, use her skills to find a job she can be proud of and happy to do and in the  meantime insist that she QUIT the job that makes her feel so sleazy day after day, especially after admitting she HATES doing that crap (flirting with the doctors, showing her tits, taking her rings off) to get sales. Not our Lenny, oh no...she's a losing loser of a quitter if she quits...sheesh...

I am so tired of this show. What does it say about me that I still WATCH week after week? What is WRONG with me????

• Love 3

Mostly a filler episode. But I really enjoyed Howard and Bernadette. I appreciated Bernadette mentioning how "sexy" (like a grehound!) she finds Howard, since it's been a long run of baby-centric plot points, or episodes that take pot shots at what a terrible Husband he was.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

A normal husband, not a "Lorre" Husband would encourage his wife - nay- HELP his wife, use her skills to find a job she can be proud of and happy to do and in the  meantime insist that she QUIT the job that makes her feel so sleazy day after day, especially after admitting she HATES doing that crap (flirting with the doctors, showing her tits, taking her rings off) to get sales.

Leonard isn't above using Penny's sexuality to his own benefit though.  He had her flirt, dress skimpily, and show her tits when he was trying to get tenure.  

Anyway, I don't think Leonard objects to the idea of Penny quitting her current job, he just didn't like the idea of her working for her ex-boyfriend.  Which is, whether it be right or wrong, at least understandable.

Just now, Traveller519 said:

Mostly a filler episode. But I really enjoyed Howard and Bernadette. I appreciated Bernadette mentioning how "sexy" (like a grehound!) she finds Howard, since it's been a long run of baby-centric plot points, or episodes that take pot shots at what a terrible Husband he was.

Yeah, I had kind of gotten used to the idea that the Bernadette/Howard pairing was like a light version of Penny/Leonard, where the guy was supposed to be really, really lucky to get the girl.  It's nice to see a reminder that Bernadette considers Howard sexy, no matter how ridiculous that may seem lol.  Reminds me of before they were engaged, when Howard came to the Cheesecake Factory to sing her a song.  Penny thought it was embarrassing, but Bernadette thought it was romantic.

• Love 8

The Bernadette/Howard interactions were pretty good this episode. I like how one of them will say something funny, and the other one REALIZES it's funny and smiles or laughs. Penny and Leonard do this too.

• Love 8

A normal husband, not a "Lorre" Husband would encourage his wife - nay- HELP his wife, use her skills to find a job she can be proud of and happy to do and in the  meantime insist that she QUIT the job that makes her feel so sleazy day after day, especially after admitting she HATES doing that crap (flirting with the doctors, showing her tits, taking her rings off) to get sales. 

Most people I know can't afford to just quit their job until they've found another one. And she never said her job made her feel sleazy, she said she hates the lying part. Which is ironic if she intended to be an actress. Leonard just wasn't comfortable with her working for a guy she used to sleep with and it turned out most everyone else agreed. I agree she should start looking elsewhere if she's unhappy and the show made it seems like she had only two choices - stay where she is or take the job with Zach's company. And how the heck does someone as dumb as Zach have a company??

Was that really Melissa Rauch doing ventriloquism? 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Most people I know can't afford to just quit their job until they've found another one. And she never said her job made her feel sleazy, she said she hates the lying part. Which is ironic if she intended to be an actress. Leonard just wasn't comfortable with her working for a guy she used to sleep with and it turned out most everyone else agreed. I agree she should start looking elsewhere if she's unhappy and the show made it seems like she had only two choices - stay where she is or take the job with Zach's company. And how the heck does someone as dumb as Zach have a company??

Zach's father has (or had) the company -- Zach used to deliver the menus in previous seasons. 

• Love 2

Thanks jjj. I enjoy the occasional appearance of Zach, he's strangely endearing in a sea of increasingly unlikable characters. I just find it hard to believe someone that dim could hold down a job let alone run a company.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I appreciated Bernadette mentioning how "sexy" (like a grehound!) she finds Howard, since it's been a long run of baby-centric plot points, or episodes that take pot shots at what a terrible Husband he was.

I was just happy she said something nice about Howard.  She usually seems to be running him down making you wonder why she married him in the first place.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Most people I know can't afford to just quit their job until they've found another one. And she never said her job made her feel sleazy, she said she hates the lying part. Which is ironic if she intended to be an actress. 

Acting isn't the same as lying.  Lying is telling untruths that you want people to believe as the truth to try to get people to do what you want them to, or not do something, or think better of you, or whatever.  Acting is telling a story that everyone knows is just for entertainment purposes.

• Love 6

It looked like it.  I have a (bad) habit of watching the person instead of the dummy (like you're supposed to), and I could see her throat moving a bit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was hoping her embarassing childhood talent was going to be performing stand-up comedy. She's said in interviews and podcasts that she used to do stand-up routines for her parents friends when she was a kid. I would have loved to have seen some old Rauch family home videos of a little Melissa doing old Roseanne bits.

• Love 2

Thanks jjj. I enjoy the occasional appearance of Zach, he's strangely endearing in a sea of increasingly unlikable characters. I just find it hard to believe someone that dim could hold down a job let alone run a company.

He's affable and not very egotistical or ambitious, so as long as his dad had a couple good managers in place I can buy him as the face of the company, meeting customers, signing papers, etc. while other people crunch the numbers and do all the nuts and bolts work. I see it fairly often in family businesses. Plus it takes time for people to run things into the ground or get forced out and he hasn't been in charge for long.

• Love 5

Good episode.  I liked all the storylines but I particularly liked the way Amy suggested to Sheldon that if he really wanted to win a Nobel Prize he might want to cut  back on the comics and video games.   Well said Amy!

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

He's affable and not very egotistical or ambitious, so as long as his dad had a couple good managers in place I can buy him as the face of the company, meeting customers, signing papers, etc. while other people crunch the numbers and do all the nuts and bolts work.

He's also got common sense.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, hnygrl said:

He wants her to stay at the well paying job where she has to flirt and show her tits and not wear her wedding ring to get sales....you know...the one she hates because she has to flirt, show her tits and not wear her wedding ring to get sales? Damn Leonard. What's wrong with you that you think this is a good job? What does that say about you as a man that you'd be COOL with her doing that for a living? That's just sick. This couple is just SICK.

Does this get said in this episode?  If so I missed that completely.  Leonard only said he didn't think it was smart for Penny to work for an ex-boyfriend, which is a pretty valid observation and he did agree to back her up in taking the job when he realized how much it meant to her.  I totally don't blame him one bit for not wanting her to just walk out of a good job though even if it's not ideal.  Like others have said most of us aren't working the dream job and Penny doesn't exactly have the kind of job skills that will mean she can walk into another $100k job, well without the help of the people writing this show anyhow!!

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

He's also got common sense.

On of my favourite Zack's scene is during that wine-tasting last season when the guys tell him about their new guidance system and he has to be Captain Obvious pointing out to them that it would make a great military asset and questioning their smartness since they never thought about it in the first place.

I loved Bernadette and Howard in this episode. And I hope we get to see Tammy Jo St. Cloud again - would love to hear what she has to say about Raj. The evil ventriloquist doll/alter ego trope can be easily over-done though (s. Two and a Half Men) but sparingly used like 'Fun with Flags' she would be great.

• Love 3

The answer to Penny's woes is obvious, she should train to become a yoga instructor. She's been doing it for years, may be good enough for people who are just starting, doing it over the weekends, and start building a base until she can finally quit the rep sales job.

• Love 5

I've known many pharmaceutical reps--both professionally and personally.  I've not known a single rep to flirt, remove a wedding ring, show body parts or "lie" in order to be successful.  In fact, their companies insist they dress professionally and act accordingly.  And for the record, every pharmaceutical company I have dealt with required the minimum of a Bachelor's degree for their sales staff--so a "real" Penny would never have gotten through the front door (even if a good friend helped her).  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, minamurray78 said:

The answer to Penny's woes is obvious, she should train to become a yoga instructor. She's been doing it for years, may be good enough for people who are just starting, doing it over the weekends, and start building a base until she can finally quit the rep sales job.

I could certainly see her as a successful yoga instructor.  It might be funny to have Leonard show up to take her to lunch one day, and her class would be all guys lol.  Even though Penny's really getting a little old to be playing the knockout sexpot.

39 minutes ago, 4leafclover said:

I've known many pharmaceutical reps--both professionally and personally.  I've not known a single rep to flirt, remove a wedding ring, show body parts or "lie" in order to be successful.  In fact, their companies insist they dress professionally and act accordingly.  And for the record, every pharmaceutical company I have dealt with required the minimum of a Bachelor's degree for their sales staff--so a "real" Penny would never have gotten through the front door (even if a good friend helped her).  

Her getting that job has always kind of bugged me because it's clear that some higher education would certainly be helpful in such a position, if not strictly necessary.  Maybe they just gave it to her because they were afraid of Bernadette.  In any case, apparently Penny feels it is necessary for her to flirt, remove her wedding ring, and lie in order for her to do her job successfully.  Maybe it's part of her insecurity about her abilities, she's been shown to be insecure about her intelligence.

• Love 3

In any case, apparently Penny feels it is necessary for her to flirt, remove her wedding ring, and lie in order for her to do her job successfully.  Maybe it's part of her insecurity about her abilities, she's been shown to be insecure about her intelligence.

Nah, I chalk it up to Hollywood writers who like to televise their fantasies about what real jobs entail instead of doing a little research and finding out the truth.  How many female actresses playing cops, lawyers or nurses do so while showing cleavage, short skirts and 6 inch high heels?  It's like the writers have never observed (or will never acknowledge) how difficult some careers are, and not all professions require showing their assets, flirting, sleeping with doctors or pretending they're not married.  Oh well, I suppose it makes for good TV.............

Oh, and one more thing about pharm reps--they very rarely actually see/speak to a doctor.  Most of the time they interact with the nurses and PA's.  The doctors (for the most part) are too busy and do not want to be bothered.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 4

I felt really bad for Zach. Leonard is so dismissive and clearly looks down on him, while Zach genuinely likes him and wishes him well. Zach is clearly impressed by how smart Leonard is and respects his intelligence. And he clearly respects that Penny and Leonard are together. He was really just being friendly by inviting them to dinner and offering Penny the job because he thought she'd like it. Leonard was pretty rude, even if it wasn't to Zachs face.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

Maybe they just gave it to her because they were afraid of Bernadette.

My recollection of the episode where Penny gets the job is that she  was leaving the office clearly having been rejected for the position when it comes out that she and the hiring guy are both afraid of Bernadette and they bond over that.  Seemed like a dumb reason to hire someone but hey why not.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

Acting isn't the same as lying.  Lying is telling untruths that you want people to believe as the truth to try to get people to do what you want them to, or not do something, or think better of you, or whatever.  Acting is telling a story that everyone knows is just for entertainment purposes.

Yes! Most grown adults know the difference between an actor and his/her roles. If an actor plays a doctor or a secret agent, most people know that in real life the actor might be not be able to fix a broken bone, perform surgery, or take down an international terrorist organization. 

22 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I was hoping her embarassing childhood talent was going to be performing stand-up comedy. She's said in interviews and podcasts that she used to do stand-up routines for her parents friends when she was a kid. I would have loved to have seen some old Rauch family home videos of a little Melissa doing old Roseanne bits.

I love this idea. There's this event called Home Movie Day. I would love to see Stuart host this at his store, or to have one of the characters host it in thier apartment and see what everyone brings to show. 

22 hours ago, wknt3 said:

He's affable and not very egotistical or ambitious, so as long as his dad had a couple good managers in place I can buy him as the face of the company, meeting customers, signing papers, etc. while other people crunch the numbers and do all the nuts and bolts work. I see it fairly often in family businesses. Plus it takes time for people to run things into the ground or get forced out and he hasn't been in charge for long.

If Zach has inherited the company because his father retired, I could see him practicing free range mangement. This style of management involves taking a hands off approach and letting the subordinates work faily independently, but stepping in when there's a problem. It works best when you trust the people working for you and have just come into a leadership position. Zach doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's eager to make his mark and shake things up, so I could see him doing this. As you said, as long as he someone watching over him a bit (like an assistant or a trust-worthy VP) I could see this working out pretty well. 

20 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I loved Bernadette and Howard in this episode. And I hope we get to see Tammy Jo St. Cloud again - would love to hear what she has to say about Raj. The evil ventriloquist doll/alter ego trope can be easily over-done though (s. Two and a Half Men) but sparingly used like 'Fun with Flags' she would be great.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tammy Jo St. Cloud again. 

18 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I felt really bad for Zach. Leonard is so dismissive and clearly looks down on him, while Zach genuinely likes him and wishes him well. Zach is clearly impressed by how smart Leonard is and respects his intelligence. And he clearly respects that Penny and Leonard are together. He was really just being friendly by inviting them to dinner and offering Penny the job because he thought she'd like it. Leonard was pretty rude, even if it wasn't to Zachs face.

Yes! Zach isn't is the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's not mean or cruel. He's moved past high school in a way that Leonard hasn't, which is kind of sad. It's possible in high school that Zach was a bully and a real jerk to nerds, but as far as I know, he has never played a prank or done something mean to Leonard and his friends. Zach has grown. He's willing to be friends with Leonard, but I'm not sure if Leonard is. 

• Love 3

When did "creepy" Howard become the most reasonable character on the show?

Howard in the first few seasons who  I thought was one note has actually become the most consistently funny and endearing character on the show.  Although hardly perfect (it is still a Hollywood's interpretation of marriage) his marriage to Bernadette is both sweet and funny.     While the relationship between Leonard and Penny which I thought was hilarious during the first few seasons has become like every other sitcom marriage where you wonder if the charcters even like each other much less love each other.

• Love 11

Good question. I was watching early-season reruns recently, when Howard was a creepy loser. Then I watched a very recent episode and it hit me: Howard is in a stable, happy, sexually healthy marriage to a woman he adores. They have a baby daughter. His career is going well and he's been to freaking outer space. He owns a paid-off, tastefully renovated house. He's managed to keep his friendships. He's a completely functional, happy adult man.

I wouldn't say that about any of the other male characters.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Same applies to Penny/Kaley C. haha.

Penny seems to be a natural product of her being an attractive young woman and being in a world that places a high value on that.  Leonard may be intelligent (in some ways), but I actually find him to be the most annoying, for a variety of reasons.  

Quick example:  I just saw the episode where they find the Lord of the Rings ring.  They all lay hands on it and agree that the last one to let it go gets to keep it.  Leonard wants it but bows out as soon as they run into Penny in the hall, who tells him she just bought something from Victoria's Secret.  Later the rest of the guys fall asleeps, Leonard finds the ring on the floor and tells them he sent it off to Peter Jackson in New Zealand.  But in the end scene we find Leonard has actually kept it for himself.  All kinds of wrong in there, from losing all backbone when he sees a chance at sex, to lying to his friends, to outright cheating them and stealing from them.

7 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Zach isn't is the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's not mean or cruel. He's moved past high school in a way that Leonard hasn't, which is kind of sad. It's possible in high school that Zach was a bully and a real jerk to nerds, but as far as I know, he has never played a prank or done something mean to Leonard and his friends.

I do like Zach as a character.  The scene with him in the Superman costume considering whether or not to stop the car thieves is one of my favorites in the series.  And I agree he's not really mean, but he has made some disparaging remarks about Leonard - essentially about him not being tall or physically attractive enough for Penny.

• Love 1

Everyone has made disparaging comments against Leonard including his own mother. Leonard actually works best as the "strait man" to everyone else's antics.  Whatever Zach said about Leonard was probably not meant to be cruel because Zach isn't cruel just not the sharpest tool in the shed. 

• Love 6

I agree.  I think his remarks were made in all innocence.  He was just surprised that Penny would be dating someone like Leonard.  To be fair that's something a lot of people on the show have remarked upon at one time or another. Including Leonard for that matter :).

Edited by BlossomCulp
  • Love 4

I do NOT want to see Leonard and Penny break up. We've been down that damn road already, just let their relationship take a backseat to the rest of the shenanigans. I am not down for 2 more years of their breakup/makeup. It is entirely possible to write stories that don't focus on their relationship and make them bicker every other episode. I'm thinking specifically of the prom episode, when they were on the roof alone before everyone else showed up, and were talking about their own prom experiences. They were sweet and the teasing wasn't hurtful.

I like the idea of Penny as a yoga instructor. Let's do that, Lorre.

• Love 9

Totally agree!  I think the Penny-Leonard relationship is central to the show and has been right from the very first episode.  Messing with it as the show starts to move towards its final finale would suck.  Big time.  Other shows have pulled this, Mad About You, comes to mind but I'm sure there are more recent examples, and it doesn't work.  If they want to change things up by having Penny change jobs, go back to acting or having Leonard become super successful so his mother can just writhe around in agony trying to find a way to still put him down and Leonard doesn't care anymore then I'd be more than happy with that!!

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, BlossomCulp said:

....having Leonard become super successful so his mother can just writhe around in agony trying to find a way to still put him down and Leonard doesn't care anymore then I'd be more than happy with that!!

I would love to see that! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

Leonard become super successful so his mother can just writhe around in agony trying to find a way to still put him down and Leonard doesn't care anymore then I'd be more than happy with that!!

If Leonard won a Nobel prize that would drive Sheldon crazy AND make his mother rethink things.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If Leonard won a Nobel prize that would drive Sheldon crazy AND make his mother rethink things.

If Leonard won a Nobel prize, it would validate her experiment; she's trying to see if by acting like nothing he does is good enough for her, it'll push him to do better.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I find the Leonard character annoying, but it would be worth it just to see what it would do to Sheldon.

I don't think it would affect his mother in any way, that woman is cold.  Her reaction would most likely be "What took you so long?".

• Love 1