Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Home Town

On 4/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, 3 is enough said:

The inside of the house looked much better than the outside. It looked nicer after it was done, but the wrought iron over the porch roof line was very odd. 

This must have been a mid-century option. A friend’s parents built their otherwise gorgeous split-level about 1960 and it still has the wrought-iron fence along the roofline. Not as ornate as the docs’ house but still “Wait, what? Why?” distracting. Adds nothing to the place. 

I realize that there is a lot of manipulation of the facts and timelines behind the scenes to get the episodes completed on schedule. 

Of course Ben and Erin don’t actually do all that physical labor.  

I guess I just assumed the house hunting scenes were filmed far enough in advance to get through closing and be ready for the renovations to start.

It makes sense that the house has already been purchased, but I have to say all of those home owners are half decent actors.

• Laugh 1

1 hour ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

When I see the finished places I always wonder how they look after the staging bunnies come in and carry off all the stuff that looks so great but which the homeowners don’t want or can’t afford. It’d be fun to have a quiet little site somewhere to see how HT contributors actually live in their reno’s.

On one of the Home Town Facebook pages there are some photos posted by Alise Mathews of her little blue house on the dairy farm.  You can see her own furniture, and, yes, there is a tv sitting on the mantel.

ETA:  The post is on the HGTV Home Town Show Followers page.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 1

On 3/12/2019 at 12:04 AM, 2727 said:

Homeowner: "Oh, Erin. Oh, Erin. Oh, Erin. Oh, Erin. Thanks so much, Erin."
Erin: "Thanks to Ben."

I noticed that as well. And I really appreciated Erin saying that.  Somebody somewhere fussed about how Ben & Erin are almost always touching each other, and someone else explained  that they were that way because of Erin’s Introversion and Ben’s protectiveness. 

And I realized the source of my disenchantment with the duo. I followed her daily blog from the time I learned about it pre-S1.  She frequently wrote of how Ben cooked for her, drew her bath every single night, was there for her 1,000%. She lauded his “servant’s heart” and deep devotion. 

The same themes run through their memoir book. So — when she’s snippy or dismissive or snide with him — yuck!  My ex- expected to be served. His needs were always primary, always. 

I know we only see carefully edited interactions between them and that those times are an infinitesimally small portion of their life together. But the examples we do see, really bug me. 

Anyhow, TL;dr — I discovered the source of my disillusionment w HT & the Napiers. I still watch the reveals, though!! 😋

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas

The whole “remove the screens!” trope makes me think (a) these people wear a crap-ton if bug repellent and/or (b) they entertain indoors at least as much. LOL

The one thing I do know from reading Erin's journal from way back, is that they do seem to live outdoors a lot! She posted photos of the parties, etc that they had outdoors. In fact, when they did the outdoor living area last week with the television outside, it reminded me of the many photos she posted of football parties they had while watching Ole Miss play. The gazebo type space was very reminiscent of Erin's parents backyard.  These photos were long before the show started. Plus they seemed to end up on everyone's porches to "enjoy" the great weather! I lived in Florida for many, many years before moving here(Starkville, MS....home of Mississippi State University-Hail State!!!) and never was one for outdoor living without screens! But I do have to admit there are many homes around here that have swings and rockers on front porches with no screens in sight! I personally do not like mosquitoes and other flying bugs so it is a screened porch for me!

Edited by suebee12
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

The one thing I do know from reading Erin's journal from way back, is that they do seem to live outdoors a lot! She posted photos of the parties, etc that they had outdoors. In fact, when they did the outdoor living area last week with the television outside, it reminded me of the many photos she posted of football parties they had while watching Ole Miss play. The gazebo type space was very reminiscent of Erin's parents backyard.  These photos were long before the show started. Plus they seemed to end up on everyone's porches to "enjoy" the great weather! I lived in Florida for many, many years before moving here(Starkville, MS....home of Mississippi State University-Hail State!!!) and never was one for outdoor living without screens! But I do have to admit there are many homes around here that have swings and rockers on front porches with no screens in sight! I personally do not like mosquitoes and other flying bugs so it is a screened porch for me!

Many of our neighbors here in Georgia have rockers and swings on their front porches, but very few people seem to sit out there. They are more than likely sitting in their backyard screen porches. We replaced our deck with a screened in sunroom five years ago, but used the deck all the time during the previous 25 years. Huge umbrellas to shade us from the sun, Off! spray, and citronella candles were necessities before the sunroom was built.

• Useful 1

This was a great episode to end the third season.    I love the home owner, and love that she has been so instrumental in the revival of Main Street, and now has a lovely home.     I'm really glad she bought the house she did, and for once I wasn't thrilled with the second choice house.     

I loved the leaded glass window in the bath.     

• Like 2

Judy's son reminded me of  desk clerk Jerry from the ER TV series

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

It felt like more rooms were done in this house than in previous episodes.  

I loved the bathroom window.  Not so sure about the blue trim, although it did tie in nicely with the cabinets.  

Good finale- and now a long wait for season 4.  Hopefully some of the old episodes will show up from time to time.  

• Like 1

Just watched the 2 doctors episode. What a nice job! And I liked the black wrought iron over the porch. I just ordered black wrought iron railings for our brick steps leading to our front door.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

This was a great episode to end the third season.    I love the home owner, and love that she has been so instrumental in the revival of Main Street, and now has a lovely home.     I'm really glad she bought the house she did, and for once I wasn't thrilled with the second choice house.     

I loved the leaded glass window in the bath.     

Didn't realize this was the final episode of the season. I loved this house and I cannot believe it was purchased for $40,000!  Homes don't go for much in Laurel.  So, I missed the very beginning but I gathered that the homeowner was once a teacher in Laurel. Was she a music teacher? Why was she so instrumental in the revitalization of Laurel? Did they say? At the end the mayor said some nice things about the homeowner (Judy?) and gave her the key to the city/town.  I loved the chunky crown molding but would have preferred it not be blue. Same with the exterior of the house...I tend to favor neutrals but gosh that house was so cute and much roomier at 1700 feet that it looked from outside. One little nitpick was that they never showed what the cottage in the back looked like. I was wondering if they fixed it up or if the son had to live in it as is. I was fearful that it was in just as bad shape as the original house. 

• Like 1

She manages the Main Street Laurel group that has revived the downtown area.    There is Laurel Mercantile, Scotsman Co., the art supplies store from the homeowner from a couple of weeks ago.   The bakery that the young woman who bought the property with the pond co-owns, and other businesses.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

One little nitpick was that they never showed what the cottage in the back looked like. I was wondering if they fixed it up or if the son had to live in it as is. I was fearful that it was in just as bad shape as the original house. 

Someone asked about that on Twitter last night.  Ben answered that it was too rough to save.  They tore it down and are building something else.

• Like 7

Kinda relieved, it was practically falling down! Would like to see what Ben and Erin do for a single guy. 

• Like 4

Thank you Crazy in Alabama and 3 Is Enough for your replies.

• Like 2

Erin was unusually perky, I guess because the homeowner is a business partner and also the last episode of the season (I realize they may have shown episodes out of the order in which they were produced). They did a great job on the house. Loved the bath window - having my own large window over a tub/shower, I know it's a challenge to update that area. I hate gaudy painted trim over white walls - it looks like harsh eyeliner - so that was a mis-step for me. Would have loved to see the son's living space.

Sad the second season is over so soon. I continue to love this show.

• Like 1

From Ben’s tweet I got the impression that the show had nothing to do with the son’s living space.  I think the demo and subsequent work happened after the episode was taped. 

I saw Erin and Ben on a Facebook live interview and they said they always do central air and fix any plumbing and electrical issues, but they don’t show it because it isn’t “sexy”.   I’m not totally sure how that fits into the budget, because when he gives his breakdown of the price of the home plus “x” to fix the outside, “y” to do the kitchen, and “z” for other rooms the numbers add up. 

Erin and Ben are heavily involved in Laurel Main Street so the homeowner is a personal friend.  Actually, quite a few of the homeowners had connections to the Napiers prior to being featured on the show.  I guess in such a small town there is always the potential for a certain degree of nepotism.

• Like 3

One other thing I forgot to mention: Erin tweeted that their contractor, Jonathan, is moving to Florida for a new job and will not be on the show next year.  I liked him and I am sad we won't see him next year.  

I remember Erin said he adopted 3 little boys.  I peeked at his Instagram and there was a post from November saying they had adopted 2 boys.  Not sure if they added a third, but evidently he and his wife had a little boy who was born with a birth defect and he only lived 17 months.  This was back before the show began.  That must have been devastating.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Sad 2

I love it when they get down and dirty.  Roaches, pissants, ancient wads of chewing gum!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

19 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

One other thing I forgot to mention: Erin tweeted that their contractor, Jonathan, is moving to Florida for a new job and will not be on the show next year.  I liked him and I am sad we won't see him next year.  

I remember Erin said he adopted 3 little boys.  I peeked at his Instagram and there was a post from November saying they had adopted 2 boys.  Not sure if they added a third, but evidently he and his wife had a little boy who was born with a birth defect and he only lived 17 months.  This was back before the show began.  That must have been devastating.  

Jonathan's always struck me as a real salt of the earth guy, and not surprised to know he and his wife lost a child—he has a certain quietness that might be explained by that. I’m trying to say he seems very kind, and knows much. 

Anyhoo I’m watching the most recent one on-demand and loving the exterminators comprehensive & yet casual knowledge of all things buggy. 

• Like 2

I just re-watched this week's show and noticed something I thought I had seen the first time....and I was corrrect! If you look at the basketball championship board at the end of the gym, Erin's brother Clark Rasberry's name is on the list! They had a really great record that year.

I love the house they just did and I love having white walls with the blue trim and cabinets. I think it looks kinda' "old timey". I would love to have that kitchen! And that bathroom is to die for. I love how the tub and window are framed by the surrounding curtains. So rich looking and relaxing! I want that bathroom!

• Like 1

@suebee12 isn’t life great? There was so little about that house redo that I liked, and yet I enjoyed the episode very much. For one, really valued seeing Jonathan and hoping for the very best for him & his family in Florida. For another, at this point I just smile and shake my head at how Erin & Ben CLING to each other on the interviews — and yet when they unclinched, they were darned good at dancing!  Ben is one of those big guys who’s light on his feet. Fun to see. 

I think also in this one, Erin eased up on the snips at her husband. As good as he is to her, she really needs to learn patience dealing with him. Just MHO of course. 

There was so little about that house redo that I liked

Guess we better not plan on being roommates I guess! LOL! And you know, I really don't mind B & E being "clingy" since if she is to be believed, she needs him for a confidence builder!

BTW, did you catch the latest from Instagram? We all know that Ben is afraid of heights(and I am with him on that!) Here are a couple of photos that show him "being brave" to raise money for a children's hospital they support. I don't think I could do it even for that! Just looking at the view down makes me nauseous! And I just noticed, they had a climbing wall, also! Too much high for me.

Follow the arrows to see more plus Helen in the last photo!

Edited by suebee12
  • Like 3

I have the same fear that Ben has so I do admire his bravery! Helen is so much like her mom in looks but at the same time, favors her daddy. She is too adorable for words. I read Erin’s blog for years before they ever got this TV show. She talked of being bullied as a very shy, fearful child. Ben is her protector but she’s always been so aware of that and so appreciative of that. The things she says to him on the show are done in jest. That’s been their relationship since the beginning, apparently. At any rate, I love watching a show where people do their best at their jobs, love each other and appreciate their hometown. There’s so much nastiness, hatefulness and gross crap on TV (and in the world) that I’m glad there’s something we can watch as a family!

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I love heights so yes, we can live in the same building and I’ll visit you on the ground floor!!! 

Instagram Failure here but I will try to find the photos. Thanks for advising!

@Gam2, I’m sure she was jesting and quite a few of the ones that impressed me were from when she was carrying Hellen. Pregnant in the summer in the South = good reason for irritability. 😉

• Like 1

I must admit, I watch this show primarily for big, burly, bearded bear Ben. Having said that, I find the show mostly pleasant. I like the craftsmanship and pride they put into the renovations, but I'm not such a fan of the interior decorating. I think what they're doing to revitalize the town is great; I'd like to see something similar in other depressed areas. If there were jobs in the area, it might be interesting to live there. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

23 hours ago, BckpckFullaNinjas said:

I think also in this one, Erin eased up on the snips at her husband. As good as he is to her, she really needs to learn patience dealing with him. Just MHO of course. 

I really think the "snips" are scripted.  HGTV seems to the like "goofy husband/eye rolling wife" narrative. 

I don't really mind that Ben and Erin are very affectionate, but there was one episode where he kissed her and it was a bit of a "get a room!" moment.  For a split second I felt like I was intruding on a very private moment.

• Surprise 1

13 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I really think the "snips" are scripted.  HGTV seems to the like "goofy husband/eye rolling wife" narrative. 

I don't really mind that Ben and Erin are very affectionate, but there was one episode where he kissed her and it was a bit of a "get a room!" moment.  For a split second I felt like I was intruding on a very private moment.

Scripted unscripted reality not-exactly-reality!! The mind reels. LOL

i was really down on HT for awhile but feel like I’m back. Like someone said upthread, it’s good to see small-town downtowns making comebacks and HT probably is spurring some folks to action. 

Where I live, there’s a downtown renaissance in a former standalone city which has become an exurb of the sprawling metropolitan area. I haven’t visited Laurel so can’t compare yet, but I just enjoyed a “taste of” night where we restaurant-crawled from one cafe to another, and shops stayed open late to let people get acquainted with what they sell or provide  

There’s a similar city-now-suburb closer in, where the downtown has never really been deserted, and it’s really diversifying now. I try to buy what I can (usually gifts) from stores in those areas.  I’m old enough to well remember life before Walmart and enjoy the personal nature of doing business with *neighbors* from clerk to store owner, again. I value it, too. Funny that as a kid, I took “downtown” and “local ownership” for granted. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1