Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 8:16 AM, sadtvjunkie said:

The young woman homeowner on this episode during the reveal was TOO EXTRA, I had to mute the TV.

Same here. I think the Napiers were a bit taken aback by her screechy hysterics, but were too polite to react.

Adorable house with thoughtful design. Erin really got to draw on her creativity (those cabinet knobs), which must have been fun for her. I liked the green roof for a change. Erin has a great sense of color. I think the one error was no screened porch, as this young couple loves to live outdoors and they could use the extra "room" in the summer time.

Erin seemed to feel the need to apologize for building small and building new. She wove the justification throughout her commentary. I like that someone built small as opposed to the monstrosities that are in fashion, and clearly they had to tear down. I would love to see more of those new, charming small houses that are affordable for regular folks. Of course, developers don't make much money with them.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 4
(edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 12:35 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love that they restored the grandmother's metal patio furniture.   

The new wood arms that mimic the original metal open work are great design, and the turned legs on the new dining table are stunning.

I like that this house was not the cookie-cutter open floor plan that many old homes get turned into.

There was a famous Auburn football coach named "Shug" Jordan (pronounced Jerdan, which is a common Jordan-pronunciation in Alabama).

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
(edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 1:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder where the potter put her kiln for firing her pottery?

I wonder about this too. Plus, will she keep all the supplies and mess that being a dedicated potter requires? Would ruin the vibe of that room. When I saw it, I thought morning coffee/reading/meditation/yoga room, and how my family and friends would appreciate hanging out to chat there (no TV). In fact, I suspect the buyers had already chosen the house, given their need for a pottery space.

Another beautiful re-design, with thoughtful elements. I hope someone saves the other house, which was lovely.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
(edited)

My guess is that the potter will build an entire work shed for supplies, creating pottery, and the kiln.   I bet the garden room will be a display showcase for her work. 

I'm watching the Homecoming episode about Jones College.  A lot of places where I've lived they used to have Junior Colleges like what Jones Junior College used to be.  Everyone went to two years in the J.C., then transferred to four year colleges for the last two years.  Of course, they did have two year degree courses and some students ended their education then.    The courses were set up in conjunction with the 4-year schools to make sure that if students took the first two years in a transfer course, they didn't lose any credits, and graduated on time.    It was a good system.  

Tonight's new episode is "English Country Cottage"

From Titan TV: A woman who grew up in New York hopes to raise her kids in a cozy place just like the one she lived in as a kid, and enlists Ben and Erin's help searching for a home with a massive fireplace and at least two acres of land.

Melina is a single motehr who grew up in Long Island, lived in Florida, and is now moving to Laurel with her two kids.  Jeremaiah and Amaya.  Budget is $225,000 max with rehab. 

Wilkinson House-3 bed, 2 bath, 1600 sq ft, $145,000. Repainting and adding character will make the house cute.  Living room has a huge brick fireplace.  I love the fireplace. Kitchen is small, but Erin has a great plan to remodel it, with a peninsula and bar stool seating.  House used to have skylights, they were filled in, and it will get fixed to remove the last of the holes in the ceiling.    LVT flooring in a wood-look pattern.  Cased openings, and faux beams on the living and dining room.   All in $225,000. 

Knight House, 2 acres, 3 bed 2 bath 1600 sq ft, $130,000.  On a busy street but far back, fix the two front door issue.  Interior living has a fireplace, looks like gas logs.  Acoustic tile ceiling will have to go.  Brick floor in the living room. kitchen feels bigger, but it's not really bigger.  (It looks bigger to me). Ben says there is a lack of counter space, and though I love Ben, he's wrong. 

Erin will open a wall up, add a big peninsula, move the sink to the peninsula.   House has a glassed in porch, with the washer screened porch.   They will add a banquette with a long table in the dining room.  $225,000 total for the rehab and purchase price. 

There is artwork on Masonite, which was invented in Laurel.  Sorry, I can't stand Masonite. 

Melina chose the Wilkinson House.  The kitchen demo is easy, nothing was attached properly.  Kitchen demo was quick, and removing the sutters was too.  Sam and Ben are going to Smith Brothers Sawmill, in Buckatunna, MS, for oak beams.   Sam (Ben's brother) and Ben worked with the current owner at the sawmill.    I love hearing how Allen the plumber will use sensors to find and reroute the water lines.   

Ben and Josh are making a replica of an apothecary cabinet as a sofa table with nine drawers.  I love the cabinet.   The window mullions look fantastic.  I love the brown LVP flooring.  Ben's sofa table is wonderful.  The kitchen is so much more open, and easy to use. 

I love the finished house.   Melina looks thrilled, and I'm glad she's so happy with the house.  I hope the family has a lot of happy years in that house. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Ben’s furniture gets better and better.

I may have to look at LVP. That floor did look good. More economical than hardwood, I’m hoping. Softer, too, I’d guess—I love how carpeting feels, but it doesn’t wear well here (no kids or pets, go figure). 

Laurel is like Manhattan? I know you love your home town, Erin, but, please.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, buttersister said:

I may have to look at LVP. That floor did look good. More economical than hardwood, I’m hoping. Softer, too, I’d guess—I love how carpeting feels, but it doesn’t wear well here (no kids or pets, go figure). 

LVP is what I have in my entire home, and I love it.   It's the full length glued version.  A replacement someday will be click together, and can be put right over the current floor.   There are no threshholds between rooms, it's not noisy like a lot of laminate is to walk on, and mine is a medium oak pattern.   Just don't go too dark or too light, or it shows everything.   Really quick to install too, at least the click together is.   

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

I know! I suppose she was trying to make a joke, but even that is just too far-fetched

I always have to wonder since they don’t show any of the rooms in the house except the ones that they are renovating, what the ,for instance, bedrooms and bathrooms look like. Just like this latest episode. They spent all that money on the house and the renovations and you know that the bathroom or bathrooms and the bedrooms have to be horror stories like the rest of the house was and all these people just gonna live with those rooms looking terrible while the rest of the house looks like a showplace?

• Like 2
(edited)

There is already a description for another episode, and it's a a follow up, where they do more of a house they showed recently.   I don't know which one though.     

I suspect that for the houses the part they can't do in budget isn't horrible, but can get by with some paint, or carpet until the homeowner gets enough money to complete the job.   The home inspector chose between the living, dining and kitchen for now, and left the bathrooms and bedrooms for later.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

When my house was being remodeled for sale LVP was put in the downstairs and I loved it so much I almost kept the house!

• Like 1

It would cost a lot for paint for the bedrooms, but those old bathrooms would have to be redone.  They would be expensive to remodel, and the homeowners have already spent what they can afford on the rest of the rooms.  

"Sisters Know Best"

New, 4/28/2024.   From Titan TV: Ben and Erin help a young woman searching for a modern, moody retreat in Laurel, where she and her six sisters grew up and where she hopes to find a place where they can all come together for wine nights.

Shelley Jones and her six sisters grew up in Laurel, now she wants to have a home with wine nights for the siblings.  She works for Jones County EDA (Economic Development Agency.) Budget is $225,000. She likes bold colors. Shelley is taking two sisters with her to see the house.  

Harrell House-3 bed, 2 bath, 1500 sq ft, $80,000. Screened porch on front. House apparently comes with a cat, and Erin notes that the cat has been around for every viewing of the house.   I knew the house looked familiar.  Sheet rock over the paneling.  One sister wants to paint the paneling.  They will have to put in central air and heat, and foundation repairs. Dining room needs sheet rock and a light.  Kitchen is awful, except for the drain board sink, that will be transformed with enamel work.  Erin suggests a bigger cased opening, banquette seating, all new custom cabinetry, with lots of pattern and color the homeowner loves.  Laundry room adjoins a great sun room.   $120, 000 renovations, purchase $80,000, and total of $200,000. 

Boteler House-all brick, 2 bed, 2 bath, 1593 sq ft., $160,000 price.   The neighborhood dog comes along to the viewing.  Nice living room, hardwood floors. kitchen is big, but tight.  Erin would change everything in the kitchen, all new cabinets, peninsula with seating.    Back patio is great, covered, with access from several sets of french doors. Laundry is off the back porch, that will be moved to the front coat closet.   Total price is $240,000 (I think). 

Shelley chooses the  Boteler House for the huge covered back patio.  (I would have passed on the Harrell House, because of the foundation issue). 

They find wood floors under the awful sheet vinyl floors.  Ben will build ah L-shaped day bed with a Chippendale rail, just like the front porch rail.   Ben, Josh and Jim go to Shelley's family tractor service to get parts for a wine cabinet.   Cabinet pulls will be off of a tractor, from the tractor parts yard the father has next to the business. The tractor name will be cut out, put into a cabinet top, and epoxy over it, with the tractor parts being the cabinet pulls. The interior paint is medium green.  Countertops are a white quartz, with dark green/teal cabinets, with v-groove for the backsplash, stained medium oak.  

I love the scenes of Laurel and the countryside they show, the B roll I think they call it. 

The wallpaper in the entry is beautiful.  The dining light is either feathers or leaves, in metal.   They mounted backets on the back patio, to put up curtains to shield them from the sun in the afternoons.   Ben's wine cabinet is fantastic. Erin and Laura (Shelley's sister) water colors are beautiful.   

I love the green shutters and exterior trim.  The foyer wallpaper looks wonderful.   The stacked washer/dryer in the launtry room looks so much better than going outside for laundry.   The painted ceiling darker than the usual white compliments the green walls.   The wine cabinet that Ben and Shelly's father Vic made is beautiful.    I love the new kitchen. I like the quartz behind the stove, under the vent hood, and the kitchen color is beautiful.  The covered patio is beautiful with the curtains.   Ben's daybed L shaped sofa with the Chippendale trim is fantastic.    

House was $225000 all in. 

(They've shown the Harrell house several times over the years, I hope someone buys and remodels it.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I would have picked the Harrell House just for the screened in front porch but I wasn't the one doing the picking!

I actually thought this was one of Erin's nicest, most cohesive designs.  Not particularly my taste but altogether I thought the house turned out nicely (although not a fan of the wood back splashes and definitely not a fan of the countertop going up behind the stove - but again - not my house!).  The front of the house looked really nice with the upgraded landscaping and shutters and the back patio really seemed to suit their family.  Moving the laundry room was definitely the right choice.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I actually thought this was one of Erin's nicest, most cohesive designs.

JMO, I didnt like the furnishings, but I think they used the homeowners stuff. It seemed a bit messy to me.