Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This season is a vehicle for the Marrs. I don't particularly like their work and she's been looking like a hot mess each time I look in.

Erin and Ben seem seem super forced and their projects are so cookie cutter they're laughable. 

I've been recording and FF through and even then, meh. *Sigh* I don't begrudge the Napiers their maximizing a payout while it's available. I don't have to participate. But I'm hoping that the next Home Town episodes aren't a let down. 

• Like 4

I'll start with the good for S2 of Home Town Takeover.

The murals. 

FTM-Z-FMmural-01.jpg?w=1024

The locker room esthetic at the coach's home.

FTM-Z-DAVIESHOME-02.jpeg?w=620

The refurbished bowling alley sign.

Gold-Crown-Bowling-Lanes-with-Nursery-Ft

Yep, that's all I've got.

The rest was a hot mess.

Even the new town sign, that I wanted to like, was a swing and a miss as the Oasis on the Prairie letters were far too small to be seen from an approaching vehicle. You can barely see it in this picture. But hey, some are stopping by to take their picture with it. 🤷‍♀️

FTM-Z-HGTVvisitors-01.jpg?w=1024

I audibly groaned when I saw that Dave and Jenny Mars were going to be involved, Jenny especially, as I have yet to like one of her makeovers. 

For this show, the worst has to be the coffee shop. What in Hildi from Trading Spaces hell was she channeling? 

9dba459013877a68240e6c3ab4184909w-c30462

Sipping hot coffee on a swing? The swings also took up space that would have been better served with more appropriate seating.

Fake grass on the ceiling?

WTF?

The ice cream shop makeover wasn't as bad, but still far too busy with the design scheme and the ice cream bike, while cute, is cluttering the room.

FTM-Z-Mosqueda-0506-01.jpg?w=978

Also, the weird paint they did outside on the sidewalk where there was no rhyme or reason and it looked like they ran out of paint with the varying lengths.

1681932089158.jpeg

The painted logo vs replacing the previous metal sign with another metal sign made it look really cheap.  The outside space of the bowling alley...I understand they wanted to utilize that space but it just doesn't work for me. It will only be able to be used so many months of the year, those white cushions and throw pills are going to be filthy in no time, and what do the owners do with folks who just want to hang out without bowling or getting anything to eat or drink? Awkward all the way around. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTo33CGfd0M0m2bXd-w_p

The prairie maze...the less said the better. Ditto for the rest of the home makeovers which made the living areas seem smaller and there was far less space for people to sit. The color schemes - I know primary color cabinets are "in" right now but they already look dated to me. This is said from someone with painted kitchen cabinets but they are a antique blue and fit the cottage vibe of the 1920s bungalow I live in. 

I liked a lot of the Wetumpka makeovers, but Ft. Morgan, I feel sorry for them as they deserved better than Jenny's terrible ideas. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 5/23/2023 at 12:55 AM, buttersister said:

Erin and Ben seem seem super forced and their projects are so cookie cutter they're laughable. 

I stopped watching about two years ago, but I've been slowly watching the latest "regular" season, one or two episodes a night. It's clear this show has become a vehicle for the Napiers to promote their empire. The scent library episode was a full-on commercial.

Erin is very articulate, occasionally saying something interesting, but 90% of her time she's babbling brightly about something inane and gushing and exclaiming. She's smug. Ben is becoming a caricature of himself. They are performing (badly).

Ben's Band of Silly Men and Erin's and Mallory's craft projects are annoying in the extreme.

I watch for their contractors and craftspeople. The husband/wife project managers, the tile guy, the guy who is the expert on that vintage building tile (scent library building), and the occasional chance to see old buildings. Wonder what happened to the floor guy they used to use?

Regarding respite care, in my community it's offered to people who are caretakers for family members with dementia, terminal illness, etc. The respite is only one or two nights. There's a community network with contact information, or a respite provider will reach out to a caregiver in need.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I stopped watching about two years ago, but I've been slowly watching the latest "regular" season, one or two episodes a night. It's clear this show has become a vehicle for the Napiers to promote their empire. The scent library episode was a full-on commercial.

Erin is very articulate, occasionally saying something interesting, but 90% of her time she's babbling brightly about something inane and gushing and exclaiming. She's smug. Ben is becoming a caricature of himself. They are performing (badly).

Ben's Band of Silly Men and Erin's and Mallory's craft projects are annoying in the extreme.

I watch for their contractors and craftspeople. The husband/wife project managers, the tile guy, the guy who is the expert on that vintage building tile (scent library building), and the occasional chance to see old buildings. Wonder what happened to the floor guy they used to use?

Regarding respite care, in my community it's offered to people who are caretakers for family members with dementia, terminal illness, etc. The respite is only one or two nights.

Mike the adorable floor guy had to have hip surgery.   And I read he's now caretaker for another family member.    

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • Useful 1
On 1/19/2023 at 12:40 PM, Barlowe said:

*Since the fireplace was a recreation of a design the homeowner showed Erin, I think it should’ve been framed that way on the show instead of the Erin presenting it in-episode like an idea she made on the fly. 

CCAA6EB8-32BF-4776-8855-7311CE556840.jpeg

The Chicago brick episode was re-broadcast this evening. I had seen it the first time, but I guess it didn't make as big of an impression on me as it did this evening. I have to say that it was one of the ugliest renovations I have seen on any show. (I almost feel like this episode should be a PSA about the pitfalls of having too many overly-specific requirements that hamstring the designer.)  I cannot say enough bad things about the fireplace. It was supposed to look modern, but it looked half-finished, bland, and bare, with absolutely no style. I suspected it would turn out badly when they talked about taking down the built-ins, but not replacing it with anything of visual interest.

For the fireplace, it looked like there were a few lonesome wood slats slapped up against just bare expanse, and then maybe a variation of those wood slats were somehow incorporated into the windows...you could barely see the very light-colored wood in the windows in the reveal, but the lightness of the wood stuck out like a sore thumb to me. 

Almost as bad was that the front door entered right into the dining room!  There was barely any room to maneuver before bumping into that ginormous (albeit beautiful) table Ben made.  The problem was compounded by the also-ginormous island, that basically exactly mirrored the table. And the alignment/placement of the two tables kind of made it look like you were walking into a dining hall when you walked in the front door.

Having the refrigerator all the effing way across the kitchen also seemed odd and very impractical, as did the "mud room" that was not connected to an outside entry and seemed to require a lot of traipsing through the house to reach (sort of defeating the purpose of a mud room, yes?). 

Anyway, I don't usually post about home improvement shows, and I usually love Ben and Erin's work, but this was just so spectacularly awful that I couldn't not post!

• Like 4

They're having a holiday episode, where they give gifts to five of their past homeowners, and it's adorable.  Home Town Holidays is the episode title. 

First is Luke Hanna (the former travel nurse) is partner in a plant store, Laurel Plant Parlor,  and they made him a plant potting table.     He's working all remote instead of in the hospital.     If it's something like a nurse line like my health insurance has, they are so helpful.   He's still a full time nurse, and part time with his partner in the plant store. 

For the ministry woman who lived next door to her mother (Rena Register, she's also Erin's cousin), who had the smallest house they ever worked on, and moved.  they made a lovely album of letters and photos from people she's helped.  She works with local disaster relief. 

Jermarcus, who was once of Ben's kids from when he was a youth minister wanted a new basketball goal for the park where he played basketball.   It was lovely, and so thoughtful of Jermarcus to give to others.  

Then, Tiffany Keith, (of Tiffy Burger fame, for her nickname) was on the show too.  She and her husband (Jonathan)bought a huge house, 5900 sq ft.  It had the flowered wallpaper in the dining room, and a huge kitchen remodel.     Ben made keepsake boxes for her daughter, Autumn, and the new baby, August.  Jonathan helped make the boxes, and so did the daughter. 

Then, Ben made a bench to hold some of the vinyl collection of the lady who was in charge of Main Street Association for years, Judi Holifield.  Her son is the opera singer.  Erin and her mother-in-law sewed the bench cushion material.  

Ben has really lost a lot of weight.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
(edited)

The 8th season premiere's tonight.   

"Left-Hand Man"   Season 8, Episode 1. 

"To escape cold Canadian winters, a family moves to Laurel with their four boys in search of big rooms and lots of outdoor space, and Ben and Erin show them a rural bungalow and home with a backyard bonus feature."

Kristie and Jeff, and their four sons moved from Ontario. Jeff has orthopedic issues that are a problem in cold weather.  

I love Erin's drawing and ideas for the first cabin house.   The exterior needs work.  The interior layout is horrible.  The family room is huge, lots of built-ins.  The land is really nice, lots of space for the kids.  Erin wants to screen the back porch.  $135, 000 for renovations.   The couple say house is seems too far from town for them, but it's really not that far away.     It's a huge house, and on several acres, so a better fit for the family. 

The first house is in the city limits.   Huge house.  Erin's drawing is lovely of this house too. The interior is a lot of red walls in the living room.  Dining room is also very red.   Kitchen is going to be huge, after renos.    The main bedroom is so big that a little of it will become kitchen.   Backyard has a big pool.  There's an attached glass room that will be screened porch.  

Finished price for both houses is $325,000. 

They pick the first house, and I know it will be lovely.  

Ben hurt his shoulder, he has a bone spur that tore something, so he's having surgery. His sub on the demo is Jim, Erin's cousin, Ben's best friend, and their financial advisor.   Poor Ben looks kind of dazed after surgery.  

The house is gorgeous after the remodel.  I love Kim Whitt's artwork making the wind chimes.   

Jim really did a great job, and so did Josh.   

The house is beautiful, what a transformation.   I hope the family will enjoy their home. 

(There are still super cheap houses in Laurel, but the ones that could be redone and be worth redoing, are few and far between.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I’m sorry, but the whole bungling Jim schtick along with the fake Jim vs Josh competition did nothing for me.

The house looked great in the end but I am afraid that the show is really venturing into Chip Gaines levels of goofiness. I hope this was just a product of Ben’s surgery.

• Like 3

No more crazy low price homes. 
I  wouldn’t have painted over the original brick wall in the living room.

In one scene, Erin looked like a hobo  

i wish they would cut out Erin & her “art” projects. I bet that woman’s chimes cost a fortune in a store but they looked liked junk. 
‘Turned out nice but I would have picked the other home. 

• Like 1

I liked the use of the colored glass in the wind chimes but did they use real greenery?  Won't it die?  

I would have picked the other house also but the house they chose was probably a better value over the long run because of the size of the lot.  I thought the renovation of the kitchen in the non-chosen house was a lot more impactful than throwing in a peninsula.

• Like 1

Just watched "Maui of Mississippi." That house has to be an investment property because the story we were shown makes no sense. Perhaps this couple intends to spend each year in multiple locations and fudged their story about living in Laurel.

The newest episode-Left Hand Man-The couple from Canada-have the house listed on Air BNB.  I wonder if it was just an investment to them?

I was looking on Realtor at homes in Laurel-there are still some to be had for under $100,000.  

I think the Canadian couple wanted a vacation home, not necessarily to move to Laurel full time. I’m not sure if they were able to work remotely but without work visas they can’t just get jobs. Then there is the whole healthcare issue. 

• Like 2

I think the wife of the couple was a U.S. citizen, or dual citizen, it was the husband that was becoming a U.S. citizen, and probably is by now.    Several of the couples who were buying in Laurel were planning to retire there, and were renting out a lot of the time.  The other Canadian couple who bought the house with the giant holly bush Ben ripped down with a truck were doing that, and I think the Zen room couple from California were renting at least some of the time until they retired.   The pumped up on Laurel people from last season were going to be part time, at least I think they were, I could be wrong.  

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the wife of the couple was a U.S. citizen, or dual citizen, it was the husband that was becoming a U.S. citizen, and probably is by now.    Several of the couples who were buying in Laurel were planning to retire there, and were renting out a lot of the time.  The other Canadian couple who bought the house with the giant holly bush Ben ripped down with a truck were doing that, and I think the Zen room couple from California were renting at least some of the time until they retired.   The pumped up on Laurel people from last season were going to be part time, at least I think they were, I could be wrong.  

That was the couple from BC I think. But I was referring to the couple from Ontario on the season premiere last week. He had joint issues which would make the whole healthcare issue even more problematic. There was no mention of jobs or citizenship, so it’s hardly surprising that they are putting the house on Air B&B and only visiting when they can.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 1/13/2024 at 9:47 PM, 3 is enough said:

That was the couple from BC I think. But I was referring to the couple from Ontario on the season premiere last week. He had joint issues which would make the whole healthcare issue even more problematic. There was no mention of jobs or citizenship, so it’s hardly surprising that they are putting the house on Air B&B and only visiting when they can.

I misunderstood, sorry.    The issues you mentioned occured to me, but maybe they'll stay there in the winter time, and go back to Canada just under the six months.  Canadians can get visas to the U.S., for six months of the year, and I don't know if that includes work permits.   I've seen others (on HGTV shows) that are still Canadian citizens, but stay in the U.S. for filming just under six months of the year.    They may have to buy 'travel' insurance in the U.S. (U.S. plans only work with U.S. citizens, and permanent residents-I used to work with International students and they had to get 'travel' insurance for non-citizens, because they were only here for training).

New episode, Chasing Waterfalls.   Mike is an artist and civil engineer, moving to Laurel from Seattle to be close to his father.   He has huge budget.  He wants unique. 

I love the first house, the Wickenhouser house, lots of wall room for his art and inherited art (he comes from a family of artists), and some other art work.   Kitchen is hideous.  Erin's idea for the kitchen is spectacular, with waterfall ends on both islands.  The bathroom will be totally remodeled to a huge wet room.  OVer $700k with purchase and remodel budget. 

SEcond house, the Burton House.   huge house 4,000 sq ft, $500k.    Kitchen isn't bad, but needs counter tops, and back splash, not big changes.  He wants the waterfall cabinets in the first house.  Erin wants to keep the cabinets, and kitchen,  Mike doesn't, and wants the waterfall countertops.  He wants a firepit, and hot tub.  The layout is much better in this one.  I would raise the living room floor and ditch the step down. $630k total price with reno.  She likes the giraffe bathroom wallpaper. 

Pickleball with Mike, Erin, Ben and a friend.   Mike bought the Burton house.   Erin is going to donate the cabinets.  The hot tub has to be craned into place, it's 800 lbs.    The hot tub is stainless steel, and will be recessed in the back deck, with a concrete pad under it.  (They've donated cabinets before, but often the cabinets are cheap particle board, or built in place, and can't be removed for donation.)

Ben is going to build a copper bar cart with copper pipe, with wooden dowels inside the pipe for strength.  One of Erin's friends from art school at Ole Miss will make a sculpture for the front of the house.   David is doing a beautiful job on the bathroom tile.  Erin's really being innovative this time, exactly what her client Mike wants.  I love the long windows in the garage. 

Erin, Ben, and everyone else did a spectacular job on the house.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)
On 1/14/2024 at 8:25 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I misunderstood, sorry.    The issues you mentioned occured to me, but maybe they'll stay there in the winter time, and go back to Canada just under the six months.  Canadians can get visas to the U.S., for six months of the year, and I don't know if that includes work permits.   I've seen others (on HGTV shows) that are still Canadian citizens, but stay in the U.S. for filming just under six months of the year.    They may have to buy 'travel' insurance in the U.S. (U.S. plans only work with U.S. citizens, and permanent residents-I used to work with International students and they had to get 'travel' insurance for non-citizens, because they were only here for training).

New episode, Chasing Waterfalls.   Mike is an artist and civil engineer, moving to Laurel from Seattle to be close to his father.   He has huge budget.  He wants unique. 

I love the first house, the Wickenhouser house, lots of wall room for his art and inherited art (he comes from a family of artists), and some other art work.   Kitchen is hideous.  Erin's idea for the kitchen is spectacular, with waterfall ends on both islands.  The bathroom will be totally remodeled to a huge wet room.  OVer $700k with purchase and remodel budget. 

SEcond house, the Burton House.   huge house 4,000 sq ft, $500k.    Kitchen isn't bad, but needs counter tops, and back splash, not big changes.  He wants the waterfall cabinets in the first house.  Erin wants to keep the cabinets, and kitchen,  Mike doesn't, and wants the waterfall countertops.  He wants a firepit, and hot tub.  The layout is much better in this one.  I would raise the living room floor and ditch the step down. $630k total price with reno.  She likes the giraffe bathroom wallpaper. 

Pickleball with Mike, Erin, Ben and a friend.   Mike bought the Burton house.   Erin is going to donate the cabinets.  The hot tub has to be craned into place, it's 800 lbs.    The hot tub is stainless steel, and will be recessed in the back deck, with a concrete pad under it. 

Ben is going to build a copper bar cart with copper pipe, with wooden dowels inside the pipe for strength.  One of Erin's friends from art school at Ole Miss will make a sculpture for the front of the house.   David is doing a beautiful job on the bathroom tile.  Erin's really being innovative this time, exactly what her client Mike wants.  I love the long windows in the garage. 

Erin, Ben, and everyone else did a spectacular job on the house.   

It was refreshing watching them delicately demo because I’ve gotten sick of the gut everything perspective. It was a bit amusing how out of their depth Ben & Erin were with non-Southern client who doesn’t have the sort of “down home charm” that they’re used to and wasn’t afraid to say he didn’t like aspects of her design or want to keep aspects she loved. This episode moved pretty swiftly I felt and I liked the overall design.

I saw her recap on her instagram and interestingly enough the original hot tub they ordered was stolen on-route and the truck driver “ghosted” them The one we saw was the replacement.

Edited by Barlowe
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

My only thought/question about the stainless steel hot tub is that isn't it going to be too hot to get in during the summer?  Won't that metal heat up (I'm talking about the area around the hot tub - obviously the temperature inside can be regulated)?  Otherwise I liked this house and I also liked the first house - either of them would have been lovely.

Maybe they will just cannonball in over the edge.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, RoxiP said:

My only thought/question about the stainless steel hot tub is that isn't it going to be too hot to get in during the summer?  Won't that metal heat up (I'm talking about the area around the hot tub - obviously the temperature inside can be regulated)?  Otherwise I liked this house and I also liked the first house - either of them would have been lovely.

Maybe they will just cannonball in over the edge.

I had the EXACT same thought and wondered if I was missing something. I called my parents after confirming that they'd watched the episode, saying I had a possibly dumb question. Then I brought up exactly what you did. 

I hope they see the light and drop the vaudeville routines with Ben and His Band of Jocular Pals, they are forced and very cringey. Just stick with the occasional unscripted dad pun! The Erin/Mallorie art projects are becoming quite far out.

• Like 3

Watch out, Laurel, here comes the Seattle invasion.

I am really not enjoying the episodes with the big budgets. I prefer shows with a more modest approach. I still like Ben and Erin, but I feel like the show has moved away from what made it special. A couple of my other favorites, Boise Boys and Bargain Block, were heading in that same direction.

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm watching the rerun of the "Chasing Waterfalls" episode with Mike.  At the very beginning he's talking about art with another man. Isn't that one of the men moving from New Jersey, that collected bones and curiosities, or something like that?     I like the transformation on the house he bought, but I would love to see a remodel on the first house he passed on.   Ben said on this episode that a mansion is 5,000 sq ft or more.  This house was 'only' 4,000 sq ft. 

Tonight's new episode is "Homecoming".  From the show site: A couple who hopes to raise their future family in a small town leaves Nashville to return to their hometown in Mississippi, where they begin looking for a big, historic house on a limited budget.

Jones Colled ( Jones County Junior College) is where Erin and Ben met.   Ginny and Jon Ryan are on staff, and moving into a historic home on campus used as faculty housing.    College is footing the bill, $150k budget.  Ben's old house on campus was demolished, and the photo shows why it was. 

The Old President's Home is lovely from the outside.   The 3700 sq ft, 4 bed 2 bath, and was the Home Ec building years ago.   It's all brick, sort of Craftsmen.  They're going to screen the porch, put up a bigger, wider porch.    Interior is lovely, with beautiful hardwood floors. 

They're turning a side room into a music room.  Move the laundry room, and a nice side porch.  Erin and Ben want to add a 'public' bathroom.  There's an en suite guest bedroom  and a two more guest rooms with a jack and jill bath, changed to a hall door, and eliminate the two bedroom access door to the bath. 

They want to add a laundry room, but John doesn't want to use the end of the hallway sectioned off for that purpose.  Dining room is huge.  Kitchen is awful, with particle board cabinets. All of the tile goes, new cabinets, add a door to the pantry in the hall, to get more cabinets in the kitchen.  They want a room for up to 30 people in the dining room.   They hope to finish at $145,000.  

They talk to Bill Holloway, one of the architects they work with, and his student will be working on the project.  Jaren, the student, suggests turning the pantry into laundry. and moving the pantry.   The architect, his student, Katie, Ben and Erin all went to Jones College. Chase Courtney was Ben's roommate at Jones College, and they're working on the house project, two tables that can seat 24 people when the tables are separated.  The two tables will have latches underneath to join them together.  Their carpenter went to Jones too.   The old laundry room tile only had plywood under it, so they can use new pine that looks close.

Ginny and Jon are having a baby, so a nursery is now needed. Erin's mom, Karen,  and Mallorie are doing the wallpaper in the nursery, it's stick on.    Karen was a cheerleader, and Erin's dad, Phil was a student at Jones at the same time.   Josh and Jim also went to Jones. 

David, the tile wizard did very durable tile in the guest/public bathroom.  However, he says the kitchen back splash is very unusual.  It's like an elongated fish scale, and it's spectacular.   Ben visits Jon's grandparents, and they're donating wood for Ben to build a changing table. 

Jesse shaved his beard off.  Jesse was Jones College Student body president, class of 2014.  Hunter the landscaper went to Jones College too. 

The college wants to name the Erin and Ben Napier School of Design and Building Arts, after Erin and Ben.   What an honor.    Ben is so choked up about this.   

The finished Old President's House/Home Ec house is spectacular.   Ben is wearing a shirt he wore everyday at Jones, and it fits again.   

I love the house exterior, the changed screen doors are beautiful, the porch shed roof is beautiful.   The front screened porch is lovely.   The interior looks like a home, not a classroom.  The guest bath is beautiful.   The music room is spectacular.    The back screened porch is so nice now.  The kitchen is so nice compared to what it was, and I love the cabinet stain, and counters and backsplash.   

The dining room with the two long tables Ben built is beautiful.  For everyday use, move some of the chairs to the wall, and put the tables back together.   Then the couple can sit on a corner, and put a highchair next to them.    The dining room is so big that I bet you can get a small square or round 4 person table for everyday use.   

Laundry room is behind the kitchen, with a mudroom.   The changing table from Jon's grandpa's oak is lovely.  House budge was under $150,000.  Everyone looks so comfortable at house scenes, so I bet they have central AC and heat.   Ben and Erin also mention if the heat/AC isn't installed, and since they didn't I'm guessing the HVAC is OK. 

Erin did a painting of where Erin and Ben met, on campus for the house. Ben said he wanted to marry her a week after they met. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Nice job with the former president's home! Those floors were magnificent. We never saw the primary bedroom or bath, as the budget didn't stretch that far. Also, the dining room isn't exactly suited to just the two of them--or the addition of a high chair. But I guess that's the price of living rent-free.

Loved the porches, too, and mo' shade will be helpful. On that note, I didn't catch if there was AC. 

Having the design/woodworking college named for them is quite the honor. Very moving, as if someone started chopping onions in here. Of course, I'd also just learned the Lions won. My late Dad had season tickets for (losing) years so that felt like a big deal, too. (I couldn't watch, afraid I'd jinx them;-) 

• Like 4
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

Nice job with the former president's home! Those floors were magnificent. We never saw the primary bedroom or bath, as the budget didn't stretch that far. Also, the dining room isn't exactly suited to just the two of them--or the addition of a high chair. But I guess that's the price of living rent-free.

Loved the porches, too, and mo' shade will be helpful. On that note, I didn't catch if there was AC. 

Having the design/woodworking college named for them is quite the honor. Very moving, as if someone started chopping onions in here. Of course, I'd also just learned the Lions won. My late Dad had season tickets for (losing) years so that felt like a big deal, too. (I couldn't watch, afraid I'd jinx them;-) 

Good luck having 20 or 30 people over at a shot, entertaining students in the front room, etc. etc. with a newborn baby! 
The place came out pretty nice. Not a bad place to live rent free! 

• Like 2

Since the house has apparently been in continuous use (it wasn't derelict and seemed to be in good shape) I would suspect that an HVAC system was installed a long time ago.  After all, this is Laurel, Mississippi and it is steamy hot in the summer...LOL!.  

I was an old mom so the notion of filling my home with a horde of college students send me into minor hysterics, but I remember when my sister had her daughter when she was young her house was always filled with friends and my niece blissfully slept right through it all.  This couple seems to enjoy that aspect of his job - interacting with students and inviting them into their home (plus it might be part of his position) so it doesn't look like an obstacle for them.

When my daughter was in college the President had a very young son who was always on campus and out and about with his dad and the students just loved that interaction. and so apparently did the little boy.

I liked the fact that the man wanted to preserve the hall because of the historic integrity of the house.  The solution to put the w/d in the pantry and the pantry in the cabinets was a really good one.  I liked how they kind of separated the public and private areas of the house, although I was a bit confused...was the renovated bathroom a shared space for both the public and the two bedrooms?  Were there separate entrances?  

Sometimes I would love to see floorplans.  That is one of my favorite Maine Cabin Masters things is that you see a rough drawing of the alterations that will be made to the floorplan of the remodeled cabin.

• Like 1
(edited)

The renovated bathroom was previously a Jack and Jill between the two front guest bedrooms.   They put a door to the hallway on the guest bath allowing access for guests, and added doors between the hallway to the bedrooms so the inhabitants could have privacy from visitors.  They closed the previous doors from the bath directly into the bedrooms.  I'm guessing the baby's nursery was on the back with the main suite.   Giving the family even more privacy.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I can be awfully cynical, but I have a sentimental soul. What a great episode!

I loved the connections to the past - memories of their college years and their budding relationship.

And the present - the community of fellow/former students that still surrounds them.

And the future - the new school named in their honor.

This one gave me all the feels. 

• Like 5

I liked the connection to the past, too.  I also think the episode subtly emphasized that you don’t have to go away to a fancy place to be successful, and that there are a lot of fun times and great experiences to be had in a post high school education, with lifelong connections that can be made.

• Like 3
(edited)

New episode, "Everything Can Be Restored".   

From the show site: "Ready to begin a new chapter in her life, a woman enlists Ben and Erin's help building a home with luxuries she has never had, like a big front porch and a dedicated luxury room."

I love that Angela Reid, and her one son (the other is moving out on his own) will live here, it's the first home she will ever own, and this time she will be getting what she's always wanted.  Volunteers from all over Mississippi came to help on the project. 

Angela has overcome addiction and bad choices, lost custody of her two boys, and has turned her life around.    She's being helped by Dwell, the foundation Lisa Cochran and her husband run that did Helen's House a few season ago.   They will be financing the $150,000 budget for the house for Angela and her son. 

Erin and Ben will restore the front porch.  House needs HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and a new roof.    They're moving the staircase.  Fix the hardwoods, keep the bay window.   Dining room is already cute, kitchen will be totally redone. with hardwoods, and a lot more cabinets.  Two existing bedrooms downstairs, but one will become a laundry room. Upstairs will be two bedrooms, one a music room for her aspiring professional musician son.   House cost $30,000, with $120,000 in renovations, so right at $150,000.  

Mechanicals and porch are in progress, when they open the new stair doorway, they find it originally had a door to the stairs.  Angela works with Lisa at the Remnant (the store owned by the Dwell foundation), so Erin's getting furniture for the house from their warhouse.   There is a lovely Mahogany poster bed they taking for the house, and some other furniture.   

Unfortunately, the house isn't level in the kitchen, so they're compensating by trimming the bottom of the cabinets to match.  Ben's putting inlays into the legs of the nightstands, to dress them up a little.

Tony, adopts a stray cat that obviously was meant for him.   Cat was in and out of the house, and even if Tony claims he doesn't want a cat, he's carrying the cat around.   I love it.

Ben and Josh are building a table for a keyboard for the son.  Erin's upholstering acoustic tiles for the son's music room. 

I love the finished house.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

I agree this was a great story but I wasn't that impressed with the finished house...although I loved the big laundry room.  I didn't like the peach paint int he kitchen (but I'm not a fan of peach in general), and I wasn't a huge fan of the acoustic tiles (I agree the tiles needed to be there but I didn't like the pattern) upstairs.  However the homeowner (Angela?) seemed to love everything and that's what is important.

It was interesting that the door to the stairs was right where they cut into the wall.  

I guess the older son will never want to come and spend the night since they did make the third bedroom into the laundry room.  Perhaps he can bunk upstairs with his younger brother.

The cat was a sweetie who definitely wanted to be owned.

• Like 1
(edited)

I understand there were budget constraints but leaving the floor uneven in the kitchen seemed wrong to me. Will that get worse over time?  I just feel it would have been preferable to make sure everything was level even if that meant downgrading to a less expensive counter material. It wouldn’t be the first time structural issues affected the finishes.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the countertops were donated, along with the appliances, and some of the other materials came from donations.    That house needed so much work, and I think fixing the kitchen 1 1/2" droop was out of budget. 

I'm sure that Ben had an expert look and see if the kitchen floor issue was the way it always was, and if it was an on-going issue it would have been addressed.     My parents home was build about the same time, and thee wasn't anything square or level in it.   

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I guess the older son will never want to come and spend the night since they did make the third bedroom into the laundry room.  Perhaps he can bunk upstairs with his younger brother.

Well, of course he can! I dislike making a 3 BR a 2 BR house,  but there is no reason to keep a BR for a sibling who isn't there most of the time, especially brothers. If she ever sold the house, the music could be used as a 3rd bedroom.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Well, of course he can! I dislike making a 3 BR a 2 BR house,  but there is no reason to keep a BR for a sibling who isn't there most of the time, especially brothers. If she ever sold the house, the music could be used as a 3rd bedroom.

That's true.  I think I was nitpicking because I hadn't had enough coffee this morning.  

• LOL 1

Home Town 4 Feb.

From Show Goats to Show Stopper

Tonya and Philip bought the Odd Fellows Building.   They own the gallery, and boutique/beauty shop on the first floor of the building.   They’re currently living on her dad’s goat farm close to Laurel.   The ADU they’re living in comes complete with the smell of the goat pens.    

The main room upstairs is what they’re changing into a home.   $350,000 budget. It is 5,000 sq ft. Currently,  1 bedroom 2 half baths commercial kitchen, office. With the huge ballroom with a stage area.

The 6,000 lbs. of countertops have to come up by crane.   Mohawk Steel & Glass in Hattiesburg is doing the custom fixture for over the island.  Jeremy suggests 200 globes, some with bulbs.    The lights are spectacular.     They’re doing a mural on the stage wall, and including a little tiny goat.    Ben’s doing a poker table, with wood and epoxy.  He also did the two 8-foot sofas.

“Small Town Potential” is airing on Sundays starting 3 March, so I guess Home Town ends the season on 24 February?

At first, I thought that bubbly chandelier was nuts, but the more I thought about it, maybe it would be fascinating.

I have no desire to live in Laurel, but damn, I’d reconsider if those guys offered that loft. You’ve come a long way, Erin!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

My grandmother made dozens of those glass grape clusters, as gifts. Let's just say they did not make it as heirlooms.

Enterprising older kids turned them into clackers and sold them to the younger kids.  It's a wonder we didn't all knock out our teeth!

• Like 2
(edited)

Tonight's new episode is "Craftorian".    (Another show starts the first Sunday in March, but it's the hour after Home Town, They have new episodes next Sunday, and the Sunday after that.  Next week's episode is called Tickled Pink, where Erin's aunt and her grand niece look for a home together, and can't agree.  It sounds like fun). 

From the show site: A restoration enthusiast couple dream of raising their family in a historic home in Laurel and take a tour of a property with bay windows and another with a welcoming porch.

They're looking at a house on a street that they've done a bunch of homes already, Lauren and Jesse, her Uncle Danny, and several others. 

Don and Bernadette and their kids are moving to Laurel, and need a guest suite on the first floor for visiting grandparents.  $250,000 is their budget, and they want historic on that street, so it's going to be rough. 

The  Johnston House, 3 bed 1.5 bath, $75,000 it's a craftsman with Victorian accents.  The exterior is rough, inside has high ceilings, Erin will move the kitchen to the front room, with a big island. Dining and living room already has a ton of shiplap, and wainscoting,  remove the bird's nest in the living room light.  They'll keep the porcelain drain board sink, and turn the current kitchen into a bedroom.  main suite is nice size, and needs an added ensuite.   

Second house is a train wreck according to Ben, the Myers House (across the street from the first house).   5 bed 2 bath 2100 sq ft, $75,000 technically a Victorian, with Craftsman overtones.   I hope they get this one.   It has structural problems, but it's bigger and has a lot of potential.   There is currently no kitchen.   But with a lot of cabinets, and cased opening to a dining room, plus a playroom added, it will be spectacular. There will be a first floor guest suite with a full bath for the grandparents.   

They pick the Myers House, for the 4 bedrooms.  

Bill Holloway their architect finds a structural issue, where they want to do the cased opening, was an exterior wall.   Some time in the past, there was a chimney fire.  The beams don't go all of the way through to the addition, so the cased opening will be 4 feet, not the 6 foot one Erin planned for.   There's also rot in the bathroom floor.  They have to put a laminated beam to support where the wall was taken down years ago between the dining and living room.    Bathroom rot is a big job.  

Andrew Reid from Reid Classics (he's from Dothan, Alabama where I live, his beds are beautiful and great craftmanship), is working with Ben on Victorian furniture carving.  Then Erin brings Patrick Jephson, Princess DIana's private secretary by the shop.   Ben and Andrew are building a desk/table/chair and it's beautiful.   

The finished exterior looks gorgeous.   The interior is spectacular. The fireplace is non-functional, but still a lovely design feature.   The kitchen and everything is beautiful. 

I enjoy the Ben, Josh, Jim scenes with Erin and Mallorie.  They're all business partners, in the Mercantile, and plus Ben's workshop and Scotsman Co., and I then there's the new Scent Library.   Ben was actually the President of the Main Street Laurel foundation for a while too.   They have all really put a lot of time and effort into restoring Laurel's Main Street.   Jim's dad, Uncle Danny to Erin, was instrumental in reviving many buildings and houses in Laurel.  Uncle Danny's home is on the same street they're looking at possible houses on tonight. 

I know the men are silly sometimes, but I like the friendship.   And Mallorie was Erin's Ole Miss roommate, that's how she met Erin's cousin Jim.    Josh's wife Emily is the manager of the mercantile.   I like meeting some of the other team members too.   

In November 2023, Ben said he's lost 95 lbs. by changing his diet, and exercise routine.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I don’t understand why they never showed the upstairs. Surely the bedrooms and bathrooms needed work and that would have taken them way over budget. The episode just felt incomplete. 

• Like 3

I bet they only did the basic cosmetic and structural work on the upstairs, due to budget.   The first floor was certainly spectacular.     I noticed in the attic scenes they had central heat and air already, so that saved a bundle.  

I just watched the Odd Fellows episode. I've often fantasized about living above a cozy little shop, and I love when old commercial buildings are repurposed. Where I live the old buildings keep coming down for new development.

As usual they did a beautiful job, but the cavernous space would freak me out as a private residence. Was there at least a service elevator for when the couple ages? Who will wipe the dust off all of those globes?

I have my usual complaint about the constant mugging for the camera. I guess Erin has recovered her energy after child-bearing, because she is all over the place.

Ben looks good. I'm glad he is seeing to his health. A traditional Mississippi diet can kill you way too early in life.

• Like 1

I often wonder about all the money thrown into these houses. You know the old saying location, location, location, and then there’s the other one : buy the worst house in the best area. . That’s assuming that it is a decent area. and next-door to a lot of these houses you will see a rundown shack that God knows who lives in ..you couldn’t pay me to live there in one of those renovated homes and matter how beautiful it is. I’ve also heard that there is a chicken factory, and some other kind of commercial plants and the air stinks. it really seems like a very pointed view of an area  Laurel is very depressed  for the most part. The crime rate is higher than the national average ..They’re making these homes into gorgeous $200 $300,000 houses that are not worth it on paper. is this show trying to pull the wool over on our eyes or has anyone ever actually been there? And is it getting better than what you read?

• Useful 1
(edited)

The prices in Laurel have really gone up. (Where I live, my house that I bought for $140k six years ago, could sell today for $220k or more, it's stunning to me).  Ben and Erin have worked on a bunch of houses on the same streets.  The Zen Room house was on the same street as a bunch of their other renos, and the Craft/Victorian house was on the street where they've redone a lot of houses, including Uncle Danny's house.   Like anywhere else, I bet the prices have gone through the roof, and there are good and not so good neighborhoods.   They still do some cheaper homes, but they have to work with the homeowners who apply.    They have said before that they redo one house, and other homeowners on the block fix up their houses.   

Where I've lived, the chicken plans aren't an issue, but the pulp and paper mills are very stinky, and that's within 20 miles of the plant depending on the wind direction.    

Tonight's new episode "Tickled Pink"  Antinisha and her great aunt Yulanda  are buying a house together, but they can't agree on a house.    They need a sewing room, herb garden, no stairs, $200,000 to $250,000.   Yulanda loves pink, Antinisha hates pink, but loves greens. 

First house-The Ware House-all brick, 4 bed 2 bath 3,000 sq ft $95,000.  T Erin's remodel looks great.  Inside oak floors.  First/main floor will be Yulanda's, and Antinisha will have a separate floor in the basement.   Downstairs is basically the same layout.  Each floor has 2 bedrooms, and 1 bath, plus their own living room, and kitchen.  Finished cost would be $250,000. 

Second house- The Turner House-3 bed 1 bath 1500 sq ft, $55,000.   Kitchen is hideous. Erin says tear off the strange addition, and rebuild it as a suite for Yulanda, with low entry shower.  Extra bedroom would be a huge closet and sewing room for Aunt Yulanda.  Antinisha would have her own bathroom, and a nice bedroom.  This house would be $200,000 finished. 

They pick the Turner House.    The back addition is going to be demolished, and replaced with quality contruction. The addition was built by a new construction crew, and only took a few days from demo to weather tight.   I'm glad they picked this house, with the single floor living it will be wonderful for both of them.   Yulanda loves bacon, and Antinisha is a vegan, so they need a very stong vent fan in the shared kitchen.   Ben is building a plant stand, with a nightstand for Antinisha. I love when Erin and Mallorie and the girls to to Southern Antiques.  They go to the Laurel Plant Parlor to go plant shopping at Luke's store.  Erin has to pick colors for each woman's part of the house, and for the common areas.  Erin's doing an ombre of pinks in Yulanda's room.  Darkest pink in the bedroom, lighter in the bathroom, lighter in the sewing room/closet.  

I love the celery green kitchen.   I love Ben calling his mother for advice on what Yulanda needs in her sewing room. I love Antinisha's plant stand / nightstand.  

The finished house is spectacular.  Ben, Erin, Yulanda and Antinisha are all wearing pink, and are pretty in pink.  I love the navy blue living room.    I love Antinisha's room too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

The way the granddaughter was giving looks to the grandma & the expression on her face to the colors plus the fact that it sure looked like they needed more privacy, I would have picked the first house.  The grandmother didn’t need to use the stairs. Intercom system, Alexa or cell phone for calling to her niece. I hated the pink & the green color on the cabinets which made them look look cheap. I can’t believe the prices on these uninhabitable POS houses now!