Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I felt affection for this episode because my mother's kitchen was in her favorite colors: pink and green.

I thought the Ware house was a better choice, given its option for two separate living quarters. Could provide a rental unit years from now. There are situations where caregivers would love to have a separate living quarter within steps of a family member.

I appreciated seeing a modest ranch home. In some places, modest one-story residences are disappearing due to development, yet there are senior citizens who need that layout.

It's great that the Napiers provided a very necessary second bathroom, as opposed to some design shows that gloss over this need.

• Like 3
(edited)

I think price was more the issue than the style of house.  $50,000 is a lot of money for someone on a budget (I sure couldn't afford a $250,000 house!).  I too thought the first house was a better deal plus that was great income potential if in the future the grandmother was no longer in the house.

I think Erin is a lot more confident now than she was in the past, plus not being pregnant makes her able to do more physical work.  I believe when the show started she was very introverted and it was very difficult for her to be on camera and she has over the years become more comfortable.  (I too like her friendship with Mallorie.)

Yes, the prices of the houses have increased but that is true for a lot of places.  I know a house I purchased in 2007 for $110,000 sold for $253,000 in 2021.  In order to improve a neighborhood you have to get people to invest in it - that seems to be a premise on a lot of these renovation shows.  What Ben and Erin have done (and other people in Laurel) has made it a destination.  A couple of years ago I was heading from Texas to Florida and chose to go a certain route so that I could spend the night in Laurel "just because."  It is a charming town to visit, even on a Monday and in the rain (I found out that a lot of the restaurants are closed on Monday and definitely closed after 6...LOL - life in a small town!).  But people were welcoming and friendly and I would go back for a longer stay.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought she liked the living room. It was all the side eye she threw during the presentation/planning stage that I appreciated.

My impression was that Yulanda said it was the $$ that made the decision. I think Antinisha said that the stairs and distance were the dealkillers, but that sounded like a cover story. Yulanda was clear, but happy with the end result. I hope they both enjoy it for a long time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

I thought she liked the living room. It was all the side eye she threw during the presentation/planning stage that I appreciated.

My impression was that Yulanda said it was the $$ that made the decision. I think Antinisha said that the stairs and distance were the dealkillers, but that sounded like a cover story. Yulanda was clear, but happy with the end result. I hope they both enjoy it for a long time.

I guess it all depends who is paying for it. No way would I have picked house # 2. Those two are like oil & water. And the side eye! Yes. She was saying a lot with her expressions. Not gonna be a happy house. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I think Antinisha was rethinking having a joint kitchen, since she's vegan, and great aunt loves bacon.  I think she was regretting choosing the smaller house, and not having the separate living quarters too. 

I've heard that to eliminate noise, they turn the heat or airconditioning off during filming too, so it might have been pretty uncomfortable doing multiple takes, especially for Yulanda. 

I also wonder how long the reveal took to film, and the niece might have been tired, and worried how tired her Great Aunt Yulanda was too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

There will no doubt be times when they'll regret not getting the larger house. But money concerns are real and it was kind of refreshing for a homebuyer to say we chose this house because it was cheaper.

Also, the aunt has serious mobility issues and running up and down those stairs every day, several times a day will get old fast.

I really do think they made the best choice for them at this stage in their lives.

Loved seeing the girls, Lucy is really just a mini Mallorie. Helen seemed a little camera shy, which is understandable.

• Like 2

I felt that the kitchen was a one person kitchen because it was so small and the workspace was so confined.  It might not matter if they cook on opposite schedules, and it might be helpful to someone who can’t take a lot of steps easily (Yulanda) but it would be a terrible kitchen to team cook in.  The green was happy and lovely.  It reminded me of jade glass antiques (but modern).  

I do think economics played a part.  I noticed that there was only one window box outside instead of two in the proposal and the rest of the landscaping seemed less than their norm.

Another consideration regarding the unchosen house might have been the worry that a basement might flood ($$$) and also that it might be too dark for a plant lover’s preferences.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, jah1986 said:

There will no doubt be times when they'll regret not getting the larger house. But money concerns are real and it was kind of refreshing for a homebuyer to say we chose this house because it was cheaper.

Also, the aunt has serious mobility issues and running up and down those stairs every day, several times a day will get old fast.

I really do think they made the best choice for them at this stage in their lives.

Loved seeing the girls, Lucy is really just a mini Mallorie. Helen seemed a little camera shy, which is understandable.

The elder aunt never would’ve had to go up and down the stairs she had her own apartment upstairs.. the younger woman would have had her own private place downstairs. I bet you that Ben and Erin could have skimped in other areas if they bought the more suitable home. Because that girl did not seem happy.. you can just feel how much she’s gonna hate it there. It’s like she was trapped.

• Like 1

When I lived in a 2 story house with my daughter I rarely went up the stairs.  Of course the fact that she was super messy had a lot to do with that...what I couldn't see I couldn't get angry and frustrated about...LOL!

• Like 3
(edited)

Has anyone purchased any of Ben and Erin’s furniture from their line? I’m looking at their bleached cherry bedroom set. Not sure if it’s a good price and what the quality is but it is made in USA solid wood.

Edited by chediavolo
(edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 8:09 AM, Scatterbrained said:

I do think economics played a part.  I noticed that there was only one window box outside instead of two in the proposal and the rest of the landscaping seemed less than their norm.

I think the show schedule pushes them to do the reveal before everything is finished sometimes.   They must be getting to the end of the season, so I bet the shows aren't filmed that long ago.      They only have so much time to finish filming and get it edited for airing, and sometimes that means the landscaping isn't done, and the window box wasn't installed yet.  

Tonight's new episode is : "Follow Your Goosebumps" From the show site: A couple recently inherited a house that belonged to her parents, and they currently live in the home next door, so they need to decide which one they'll keep and reno. There's strong feelings for both places, but his chill bumps lead them to a decision.  Suzie and Scott Walker were Erin's teachers, with their son Seth they live next door to Suzie's parents, latest her mother.  Houses are side by side, but the couple can only afford to reno one house, so they have to decide which house to keep and reno, and which house to sell.    Budget is $135,000 for the remodel for whichever house they pick.   

The current house Erin recommends painting the brick, and Scott says no way.   The artist Mandy Buchanan was cousin and best friend to Suzie, right about when Suzie lost her mother, we've seen Mandy's lovely artwork on the show.  Erin would refloor the house, redo the kitchen, and change the living room.  They want the backyard fixed with a huge screened porch, patio and outdoor kitchen.   Total would be $135,000 (I think).  

Nan's house would be $135,000 to fix up.  It's a bigger house.  Landscaping needs work.  Front porch would be improved a lot. German Schmear on the brick, add a circle drivewaynew front door and sidelights.  $50,000 exterior, Schmear the fireplace brick. $20,000 for living room, $55,000 kitchen, For either kitchen they'll use tiles the grandfather made. Screened porch reno $10,000.  $135,000 reno total. 

The Walkers pick to redo Nan's house, and sell their house.

The front porch with the Schmear and columns is spectacular.   The house is magnificent.  I love the living room, especially the journal pages turned into art.  Several pieces in the home are Mandy Buchanan's work, and their lovely.   I love the kitchen, especially the father's tiles.  The screened back porch and Ben's glider swing are wonderful.  It's Scott's birthday too.  

They're doing a Mandy Buchanan scholarship.   She worked for the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, and her art works are in many homes in Jones County. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

That was one of the greatest reveals! How they didn’t look beforehand, I don’t know—although they had to see the driveway work. But their reaction to the front of the house—and that kitchen, especially, was special. 

Hope they find nice buyers/neighbors for their old place. Perhaps the Napiers can redo that house next season, along with Susie’s bedroom and bath. I’m sure they could use it.

• Like 4
On 2/28/2024 at 12:45 PM, chediavolo said:

The elder aunt never would’ve had to go up and down the stairs she had her own apartment upstairs.. the younger woman would have had her own private place downstairs. I bet you that Ben and Erin could have skimped in other areas if they bought the more suitable home. Because that girl did not seem happy.. you can just feel how much she’s gonna hate it there. It’s like she was trapped.

This episode gave me the feeling that I get with a lot of HGTV shows, "Looks great, but how will it look when you've got all of your life stuff everywhere?" I don't get that feeling a lot with Home Town, but really unless the younger woman is queen of the minimalists that teeny room is going to feel so claustrophobic once her stuff is moved in. 

• Like 3
(edited)

"Rustic Renovation"

New, From the show site: A couple goes back to their Mississippi roots in search of a home with a lot big enough for outdoor living, and Ben and Erin take them on a tour of a rancher that fits their passion for modern rustic design and another with in-ground pool.  Dennis & Barry met 18 years ago in Arizona, and now they're moving back.  They want in town living, under $275,000 all in.  

House #1-Brumfield House. 3 bed 2 bath 1700 sq ft $130,000 ranch house. Erin wants to join the living and family room.  Move the kitchen and dining, with a seating peninsula for four bar stools.  The back yard has a huge pine tree that fell across it, it happened the night before. Erin wants to add a pergola on the back patio, with lots of seating, update the garden shed.  All in $255,000 total. 

House #2-Meador House. 4 bed 2 bath 2300 sq ft. $150,000 list price.  I love the living room. Fireplace isn't working, so it could go away.  Screened porch is nice but needs new screening. Kitchen is a nice size, overlooking an addition, and extend the kitchen into the addition.  With a big kitchen island with seating. Outdoor space has a lovely pool, that needs work. Back yard is big, with a bad deck. . All in total $284,000. 

They picked #2, the Meador House. 

The 'fireplace' was only the mantle nailed on a wall, this is the original fake fireplace mantle, and homeowners wanted it gone.  I love the steamer deck chairs Ben's building from the deck wood.  Kitchen is very unlevel, but they can disguise that.  (The floors look like concrete slab, it's tough to them level, and have them hold up).  Carol Roark is doing a horse painting for the house.  Ben's doing a bookcase.  The Prince-Arnold house is beautiful.  I hope they'll be very happy there. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I haven't watched this episode yet but I have to say that I dislike that "nail a mantle to the wall" aesthetic.  It looks contrived to me.  I understand that fireplaces don't work and have to go away - so make them go away!  

I realize that isn't everybody's thoughts - only mine.  

• Like 1

Nice guys and the house turned out to suit them. That kitchen was good, Erin, really good for them. The backyard was nice, but all I could mage was steamy weather and bugs. So lots of time in the screened-in room (Pool will be used!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, buttersister said:

Nice guys and the house turned out to suit them.

Its interesting that they just up and left their horses. I'm sure there are a few homes with land in Laurel.

• Like 1
(edited)

Tonight's new episode, "Old World, New Build" is a first.   The original house will be bulldozed, and a new build put in it's place.    Dara and Dylan are newlyweds, and were given the  home by his parents. Their current 300 sq ft tiny home is just too small, Dylan built it.  The parents bought and renovated other homes, but this one was too bad to fix up. 

For $150,000 budget, the house couldn't be fixed, and expanded.   It would be cheaper to raze and rebuild.   They want a bedroom, office, and one bathroom, plus another bedroom for eventual kids.   The homeowners are quirky, and adorable.   They want an eat-in kitchen. They'll all talk with the architects, and come up with a plan for the couple that reflects their quirks.

Ben is really enjoying running the excavator for the ultimate demo. It's amazing how fast a new build goes up. House is seven weeks after demo, so walls are up, framing is done, prefinished siding is done.   The parents' barn is on the back of the property, and Ben and Erin are going treasure hunting. 

Dylan's mother makes the copper bowls and jewelry that were featured in previous episodes.  Ben is building three butcher block cutting boards that fit over the gas range for extra counter space, and Dylan's mother Shanna will do copper linings to the cutting boards for extra heat protection. 

The finished house is so adorable, and exactly what the couple asked for.   I love the coffee table Ben restored for the couple.  I love the knobs in the kitchen.   I love the kitchen granite, and the tea cabinet.    House is less than 800 sq ft, but looks so cozy, and has so much storage.  The mushroom knob was made by the mother. The office furniture is beautiful, and the curio cabinet Ben and Dylan's dad made from items in the barn is beautiful.   The porch for dining is so cute, and will be useable for most of the year.  

I think since there's so much land, that the house will probably be added to over the years, when they can afford it, and need more room.   I think the dining room will be enclosed eventually too.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

They really did a good job of making this new house look not like a new build (and yes, on Maine Cabin Masters they are always talking about how much quicker a new build than is an old build - who would think?).  I actually thought the first rendition of it was cuter than the eventual final product (it had a curved piece over the doorway and Erin replaced it with an awning which made it square) but otherwise it was truly a cute house.  There was not a separate office by the way - as I understood it they will use the second bedroom as an office until they have children and hopefully by then can expand the home (or maybe move their tiny home nearby and he can use that for an office...LOL!).  It was a very satisfying build - the high ceilings made the house look much larger than its almost 800 sf size.

• Like 3
(edited)

I suspect when they have kids they'll build on another bath and a couple of bedrooms.  Along with enclosing the porch into a 4 season dining room, it could work.    I suspect the house was designed for that purpose.      Great idea about the use of the tiny home as an office.  That  could really work, the interior could be redone by Dylan, and give Dylan some privacy for whatever he does that requires an office (I missed that).   They could extend the utilities and water/sewer to the tiny home put it on a permanent foundation.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

That tiny home was really cute.  In the meantime they could rent it out for extra income..,

LOL - I got the impression that woodworker dad thought his son and daughter-in-law were a little extra (in a very loving way).  

The cabinet door pulls would drive me crazy - would mess with my sense of order that they didn't match - but those mushroom ones were so cute!  I also liked the color of the cabinets.

• Like 3

I like the design although I didn’t like the editing of the episode or the wood that was used inside and on the shutters. The house was tear-down but they couldn’t acknowledge any of the former owners?

Ben usually milks the most of the littlest historical fact or family name connection and they just glossed over all of it. Then the homeowner didn’t even get a watercolour rendering of the house until the end. 

Apparently the reason Erin switched the arched porch for the stripped awning was due to costs. The architects quoted them $3500 to do the arch which would have nixed any woodwork or larger trim inside the house. I dislike when the show makes Erin pretend these are on the fly decisions where Erin’s hit with inspiration versus admitting these are homeowner’s requests or budgetary reasons

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Barlowe said:

Apparently the reason Erin switched the arched porch for the stripped awning was due to costs. The architects quoted them $3500 to do the arch which would have nixed any woodwork or larger trim inside the house

I think there were many things they could have cut costs on and then could have had the arched porch. jmo

• Like 1

The young woman homeowner on this episode during the reveal was TOO EXTRA, I had to mute the TV. I now understand the side eye of the F-I-L. I  would want to go junking in the family barn. Loved the roof color, not so much the countertop color. The desk looked uncomfortable with that live piece hanging down on the right side, you could only sit far left at it. Did not like the 2nd door from bedroom into the bath. It looks like it would hit the toilet when opened. Just have 1 door and wall space for storage. Also hated the awning over the door. It will be in tatters from the MS sun in a matter of years. I know here in FL I can't keep patio umbrellas more than 2 years and they are closed up all winter.

I do appreciate that Erin and Ben can change up styles and aren't always one note wonders. I also liked that they addressed that sometimes houses can't be saved. Not everything built is a historic treasure.

• Like 4

I think the fact that they did not have to buy the land the house sat on helped keep the cost of the build down considerably.  

They actually did talk about the former owners - how they purchased the land and built affordable rent houses on it.  I can't remember much else - they apparently owned a business in town.

Hard to make a rendition of a house that hadn't been created yet - it appeared to me that they discussed what the homeowners wanted and then she started creating, but I kind of agree with her that it was fun to see the reaction when the people didn't have a clue.  (I'm pretty sure I would be poking around after hours every day to see what was going on.)

• Like 2
(edited)

I enjoyed the episode and the finished product, but I have a 1,000 square foot home (so slightly larger), and I feel that my home has a better layout.  

Skip this part if you don’t want to read about me! 
Mine is a 2 bed, 2 full bath house with a 1 car attached garage.  My living room is approximately 16 X 17 ft. with a wood fireplace and my dining area (in the kitchen, but dining on one side, actual kitchen on the other) is approximately 11 X 10 ft.  The dining area is open to the living room, but the kitchen area is walled off from the living room.  The kitchen has a walk-in pantry (small, but nice) and a small built in desk with a cabinet above.  I put tall, rolling pet food bins under the desk.  One for pet food, and one for charcoal for the grill on the patio outside the dining area.  The top of the desk houses the microwave and toaster oven, stacked.  I won’t go into all the cabinetry, but there is a mix of sizes and types to be really great for storage.  And there is quite a bit of counter space.  However, my cabinets are thermofoil, my floors linoleum, and my countertops laminate.  So, not “show worthy”.

Back to the show comments: The show mentions that all the homes in what I think of as that “country cul-de-sac” were rentals built by a former landowner.  I’m curious if the parents who bought the land (from a former neighbor, it seems) have gifted all of it to “the kids”.  My prediction is that THIS house will be a future rental (possibly using the show’s popularity and “tourism draw” for short term rentals (ex. Airbnb,VRBO).  It might also become a long-term rental.  I see it as a passive income earner.  

I suspect that “the kids” will live in this one for a while, then raze and rebuild another home in the country cul de sac that is slightly larger and better fits whatever their “new needs” become (a pretty predictable and relatable guess).  They’ll probably make another show out of it (and I’ll be happy to watch it).  

This show was basically an ad for the services of their architects, the copper artisan mother, and the husband of the couple featured, who built their tiny home, as well as the plumber/laser artisan.  I actually like that they feature the contributions of their fellow townsfolk and nearby artisans.  

I wonder if Ben and Erin are getting tired and either want to offload the show, or “share the load”.  This episode also seemed like a bit of a soft audition for this married couple with the “cute, quirky wife” and “capable handy husband who knows how to build things”.  

I think we’ve all said, at one time or another, that some of the homes featured should just be torn down, and that it would be better and more cost effective to rebuild.  It seems the audience has been heard.  I don’t mind the pivot.  A combination of saved homes, and razed/rebuilt lots would be watched by me.

OK, this page keeps locking up and trying to kick me out.  Clearly, I have written enough!

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Like 4
On 3/18/2024 at 8:56 AM, RoxiP said:

They really did a good job of making this new house look not like a new build (and yes, on Maine Cabin Masters they are always talking about how much quicker a new build than is an old build - who would think?).  I actually thought the first rendition of it was cuter than the eventual final product (it had a curved piece over the doorway and Erin replaced it with an awning which made it square) but otherwise it was truly a cute house.  There was not a separate office by the way - as I understood it they will use the second bedroom as an office until they have children and hopefully by then can expand the home (or maybe move their tiny home nearby and he can use that for an office...LOL!).  It was a very satisfying build - the high ceilings made the house look much larger than its almost 800 sf size.

I came here to say the same thing. She took that beautiful curved piece over the doorway and put a run of the mill in my opinion, ugly striped awning over the door. yuck. The architects rendition was much more user-friendly and beautiful. Hers was just ugly and common.

I called bullshit on that demolition,  new house construction and all the interior to cost only $150,000 no way…do they think we were born yesterday?

• Applause 2
29 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

It's insulting to viewers and misleading to folks who don't know anything about real estate and construction.

Agreed. I’m sure it cost quite a bit just to demolish that house and then clean up & dispose of the materials. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I think it depends on the market where you're at.  Before the current housing boom in Texas I never bought a house for more than $110,000 - and I am talking about 3 bedroom, 2 bath houses, including purchasing the plot of land it was sitting on.  I find the current price of houses in other markets (and indeed where I previously lived) appalling and totally overblown.  Both my former homes were considered "custom" when they were new builds, both had fireplaces, nice yards, etc.  $150,000 for that 2 bedroom house, not including land, seemed to be the most reasonable price I had seen in a long time.

Plus Ben and Erin's costs are covered by production if this show follows the norm of other reality home-building shows.

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 5
(edited)

New episode tonight, 

"Shug (Wesley) and Spice"

From the show site: A couple who live in a house that once belonged to her grandmother are ready to make some big upgrades to the generational home in the form of a much-needed additional bathroom and an outdoor kitchen.

Shug (Wesley) and Sarah, live in a house that was her maternal grandmother's, and want to change it for their family.  Shug is husband's nickname.    House had a fire that badly injured the grandparents, and the community fixed the house while the grandparents were in Mobile at the Burn Unit.    House is 3 bed and 1 bath.    Erin will change the carport, and front exterior.   Living room looks like a bowling alley, with awful lights.   They'll add a gas log fireplace, redo the flooring in the living area.  increase seating and counter space in the kitchen, with brick floors.   Erin's changes look great.  They'll also add a much needed attached laundry, and another full bathroom, and extend the house wall to the laundry/storage space.  Plus, an outdoor kitchen, and accordian window from the kitchen.   

Ben listens to Christmas music year round, so he's the Christmas King, not Shug.   He's going to change the awful lights to a snowman, but then decide to play shuffleboard with them. 

I love that they restored the grandmother's metal patio furniture.     The whole house is so spectacular. I love how warm and lovely the living room is.  The new floors in the living/dining and kitchen are adorable.   I love the cased opening between the living and dining/kitchen. Ben's dinner table is gorgeous.  I really like the back splash tile.  The new mudroom, and attached hallway, plus the new bathroom are so gorgeous.      The Christmas closet is so cute, with the repurposed living room lights made into a snowman. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
(edited)

"Mediterranean Vibes"

New, 3/31/2024, "A couple who loves homes with character search for a unique property with an outdoor kitchen and a pottery studio and take a tour of a traditional home set across from a park and a ranch-style house with an impressive garden room."   

Neal and Saron (he owns a beam factory, she's a potter). Beam factory is near Laurel, the husband has been commuting 2 hours each way from Picayune where they currently live. ,  Budget is $500,000.   House 1-3 bed 3.5 bath 5,200 sq ft. $400,000 with $100,000 rehab.  Started as a camp house and grew.   Erin will move the front door, and landscape the front.   Garden room is amazing, and unique, it has a big fountain in the middle of the front room.   Living room will have the front door, kitchen is really different, lots of barnwood, dark. Erin will replace the cabinets and use the wood for ceiling beams.   Clean up and reseal the tile floors.  Back yard is huge, and will get an outdoor kitchen, house is on acreage. 

(As Ben said before 5,000 sq ft and up is a mansion).  

House 2-in town across from a park.  Bissell House 2 story, 4 bed 4 bath 4800 sq ft, $400,000 with $100,000 rehab. Erin would change the color of the exterior.   entry is wallpapered and will stay with different trim. living room will stay the same, refinish the front room floors. Breakfast room, narrow galley kitchen, and it will get bigger. I don't like stoves in islands that have seating.   The family room has windows in the fireplace sides to the outside.  Erin would turn this into Saron's pottery studio.   Back yard is smaller, but would still have an outdoor kitchen.  

Hendersons bought House #1 and bought it for $315,000.  

They're saving the fruit carvings on the entry closet doors, and all of the wood they can salvage to make the beams in the kitchen, and the hood vent will stay.  Ben goes to the mill, and says there's a piece of the USS Constitution there, and Ben will use it for the house.    Ben will build a dinner table with the USS Constitution wood for the legs. 

The dining table is spectacular, and so are the kitchen/dining beams.  Garden room with the fountain will become the pottery studio for Saron.  The fountain sides will be stenciled with birds, and when finished is gorgeous.  Two women are stripping and resealing the Saltillo tiles. 

The finished house is spectacular.  The kitchen cabinets with the top overhang is lovely.  I love the dining table Ben used the USS Constitution wod for legs.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
On 3/24/2024 at 11:35 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

plus the new bathroom are so gorgeous

Great job on the house, mostly. Didn’t love the tub surround, but it may have been a budget issue. Or their nice tile guy is still recovering from that kitchen backsplash. 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I was a little let down that they reduced the water feature from a pond to a dribble although I am sure for practical reasons that was the best decision, and also was there any kind of barrier up around the now empty concrete pit to prevent little ones from tumbling in?  Otherwise I thought it was a really cool room.  Moving the front door was definitely the right move.  Erin really did understand the direction the homeowners wanted to go and kept as much of the original and uniqueness of the home (for example the forged handles in the kitchen).  

• Like 2
(edited)

I worried about the safety of the fountain too.  However, it's the mother's pottery studio, so I suspect that the fountain will be fenced off, or the room will be gated to keep the baby out of the room.   

I'm wondering if the fountain was only a trickle to keep it from interfering with the sound engineer recording the show?   They turned the pool and waterfall off at the showrunner Angie's house for that reason, and they also turn the heat and air conditioning off  during filming, which explains why the cast are so bundled up or dressed in summery weight clothes so often.    

That was a spectacular house, and I'm hoping someone buys and rehabs the other house too.   

I watched the rerun, and the garden room was the original entrance into the home.    There are french doors between that and the dining room that was turned into the foyer.  So, the garden room was closed off from the rest of the house.   I wonder where the potter put her kiln for firing her pottery?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
(edited)

New tonight, "Welcome to Laurel",

From Titan TV: Ben and Erin help the Laurel Housing Authority convert a historic building into the town's first visitor's center, while also taking on the restoration of a 1930-1940 public housing project, Beacon Homes opened in 1938. .

Laurel has 1600 new businesses in the last seven years, and 200,000 visitors a year.   Michael the architect who owns Zeus, and the head of the housing authority want to transform the original housing project in Laurel, from the ealy 1940's into a visitors center.   Except for the one building Ben and Erin are transforming, the rest of the public housing was demolished and replaced with modernized housing.   

There will be a restored roof and porticos, and the entrance will be off the back parking lot.   There will be one unit that looks like the original housing for historical purposes.  One end housing unit will be the exhibit, and thre rest of the building will be transformed to historical exhibits, bathrooms, and the visitor center. 

They have original plans for the unit that will be a time capsule of the original apartments.   

Rodney, the owner of Lott furniture is donating a 1940's radio, some bedroom furniture, and Erin will source a dining table, sofa, and main bed.   Erin and Amanda, the designer, are on the local radio station asking for donations of late 30's and early 40's furnishings and decor for the apartment. A moving company donates an original fridge.  The front doors will have copper awnings.  Ben will use the original blueprints to recreate the minimal amount of kitchen cabinets they had in the 40's.   People are donating items, a still working 80 year old stove.  

A woman who lived in the housing her entire life is donating items too. Miss Mildred lived in the projects for 53 years, and she's donating some lovely dishes and kettle, 

It's amazing how few cabinets and room space people lived in then.   The bathroom only had a tub, not a shower attachment. 

A local artist is painting miniatures of the murals around Laurel on the fence.  Leontyne Price and Ralph Boston, both raised in Laurel will be honored also at the museum.  There is a community center doing a mosaic for the visitors center, the community is participating. 

The bathroom plumbing won't be connected to water, and there is no toilet in the bathroom (so no one will use it). 

I love the photos and furnishings.  I love the mosaic mural.  What a wonderful addition to the town, produced by the townspeople. 

I love hearing from people who moved into the projects,  and how great it was to move into a home with hot water, and a clean well-built place to live.  I love the furnishings, with the inlaid wood on the dressers.  I love hearing people like the Mayor who grew up in the projects. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

For the Laurel visitor center, I was surprised that they didn't seem to have a picture of Ben & Erin up with all of the other famous people from Laurel, given that most visitors these days probably know Laurel from the show. But towards the very end, when people were mingling in the center, there was a brief glimpse of a picture of them along with the other famous people. They just decided not to feature it for some reason. I'd guess it was Erin & Ben's decision not to.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

I'd guess it was Erin & Ben's decision not to.

Good on them.

I don’t have a desire to visit Laurel—or step foot in Mississippi—but I appreciated the care they took in recreating those rooms.

This could have been a season finale, so glad to see there’s an all-new ep next week (assuming all new is legit, HGTV.)

• Like 4

I was especially touched with the man who said when they moved into the projects that it was the first time his family had ever had hot running water.  When we think "projects" it brings such a negative image, but in this case it appears to have improved (at least initially) the lives of the people who moved into these units.

• Like 7
(edited)
21 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I was especially touched with the man who said when they moved into the projects that it was the first time his family had ever had hot running water.  When we think "projects" it brings such a negative image, but in this case it appears to have improved (at least initially) the lives of the people who moved into these units.

They mentioned in passing that the old projects were torn down, except the one redone on the show.   There were new low income housing built in it's place, and I'm sure it's changed with the times. 

The Margaret Mitchell house in Atlanta has a museum, and a reproduction of her original apartment, very much like the original unit in the Laurel episode.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

When everyone on the episode was gushing about Leontyne Price—how she grew up in Laurel and how everyone is so proud of her—I couldn’t help but think of what Mississippi was like during that period in history.  I wonder if the information provided to visitors also includes the challenges she overcame as a talented black girl coming of age in a segregated and often violent Mississippi.  

Actually, even though I really like Ben and Erin and enjoy the show, I very often find myself wondering who actually owned the [last name] house when they’re touring the properties.  Was it the former home of a Klan member?  I’m probably the only person who even thinks that way.  I just know I wouldn’t make a good client for the show even though I enjoy their work and find the Napiers and their crew to be good-hearted people.

• Like 1
(edited)

"Some Like It Hot"

New, 4/14/2024, From Titan TV: A New Jersey couple, who have never had a dining or laundry room before, relocates to Laurel for the small-town vibes, where Ben and Erin present them with two options with plenty of space for everything on their wish list.

(I love when someone moves from a super high cost of living area, and can get exactly what they've always dreamed of, like a dining room, and laundry room.   Like the two men who moved from Jersey City, and have that lovely home in Laurel, the artist partner was featured on an episode this season).

Tena & Bob Tomarrazzo, they are such a fun couple.   He's third generation U.S.    (It's over 100 degrees in Laurel all week, so everyone is sweaty and uncomfortable, especially Ben). 

Wishlist-They want to stay under $300,000.   Dining room, and laundry room, plus a walk in pantry.  She wants a rustic Italian kitchen.  

House 1-Van Zandt House, totally covered by hedges in front. 3 bed 2 bath 2100 sq ft, $180,000.    Ben and Erin want to move the kitchen to the dining room, and a big walkin pantry, move dining to living room.  Utility room will become the laundry room, and den will betransformed, and current side entry will become a mudroom / pantry.  $180,000 purchase, $120,000 reno, so $300,000 total. 

House 2-Watson House-4 bed 2bath 2000 sq ft $190,000.  Screened porch for Tena.  (It's 104 degrees in Laurel, and central air in this house).   Kitchen will be transformed (Tena's shirt matches the wall paper in the kitchen) with added cabines, and island, turn den into dining room, with cased opening to living room.  Living room is big, but will be opened to dining/kitchen, and den.   Back yard-screened porch added for Tena.  Erin wants to turn glassed in porch to screened in.  Renos $110,000 so $300,000 total. 

(Ben and Erin take them to community Bingo, Bob gets a Bingo).  

They buy #1.  Hopefully they get the power turned on since it's 105 degrees, but power isn't on yet so since it's the hottest August ever in Laurel, everyone is suffering.   Their only relief from the heat is battery operated fans.   Carpet is brand new, so Erin will keep it for use in another house.  Ben whacks the sheetrock with his butt.   (I suspect since we didn't see bedrooms or bath, those spaces will wait for later, except for maybe paint). 

Ben is building a huge island with electric outlets, cutting board storage in the island, roling pin and mallet storage, 10 feet long, 40" wide.   Josh brings up a great point, about how to get the island into the kitchen, since it's 40" and outer doors are only 36".    Ben will construct the island into the house in parts, and assemble it on site.    It's 106 degrees, and everyone is suffering.   Mr. Stubbs the cabinet maker loves the island idea.   There will be the island, 21' of lower cabinets, laudry room cabinets, and built in pantries at each end of the laundry room.  Lohn from the crew went to get popsicles for everyone.  Bekye Fargason, artist, is doing a decorative paint (she did the fountain in the garden room at the potter's house) for patterns on the back splash.  There are four tile designs, and the paint for the pattern on the tiles will be the color of the walls.     The den built-in bookcases will have aches at the top, with a dressed up skeleton behind it, Ben's idea of course.    Ben, Helen, Mae and Erin have a water balloon fight, it looks so refreshing.  Removing tons of landscaping transforms the front yard.  Two of awful Bradford pear trees will have to go, two stay, and the Sago palms will go (poisonous to dogs).  

I love the kitchen backsplash tiles.  Tena and Bob love their new home, and I'm so happy for them.  House looks so different with the changed landscaping on the house, and the inside is just as lovely.  The den/living room with the built-ins is fantastic, and the dining and kitchen are exactly what the couple wanted, and so beautiful.  Also, the laundry room/ pantry is spectacular.  The island Ben built is fantastic.  Total price of house was $290,000.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
(edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 7:05 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Its interesting that they just up and left their horses. I'm sure there are a few homes with land in Laurel.

I'm not an equistrienne, but I think I've heard of arrangements where people "rent" horses long-term. Kind of like humans do cars. They pay a stable to house and feed them, and they just visit to ride and socialize and maybe help with grooming. They consider them "our horses." Or perhaps the horses were too old or ill to withstand a long journey? The guys mentioned children and grandchildren - maybe they now care for the horses. I'm scrambling to try to understand why someone would abandon their horses. There are lots of horses out West, so many unwanted ones end up at slaughter.

I thought I heard Erin say the guys were raised in the South, but not Mississippi.

The back of the property was simple and beautiful. That pool liner matched the house paint.

I laughed at the unlevel kitchen. Been there done that, including trying to hang original wood window sashes after removing and restoring them.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1