Type keyword(s) to search

Home Town - General Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Gam2 said:

When my husband and I were building a new house about 11 years ago, our builder suggested that we go to Ferguson’s. We had built six previous houses and bought 4 others. We left that store laughing all the way to our car. They are so much more expensive that any other store we’ve ever visited. Do not go there unless you have an unlimited budget. Even then, you can find similar quality stuff at a much reduced price. 

We  went to Ferguson's looking for a bathroom faucet because it was close to the place we were getting granite and it was over the top expensive. We were in a crunch and bought a faucet from them and had to get a part of it replaced. After a few years, it now leaks.

When I re-did my master bath I went to a local plumbing place where we have shopped for years and they discounted everything, including American Standard sinks and everything we needed for the shower and the sink faucets.

• Love 1

Another great job last night.  I loved the live edge table, but I do not understand why the wood was being stored in that old building.  Ben has a woodshop- surely he has room there?  

I think I prefer the smaller houses where they do the kitchen and living room and master suite.  I think they sacrificed a bedroom for the master bath.  I don't remember how many bedrooms were in the original floor plan.  

The kitchen was great.  Funny how the patterned tile is making a comeback- it was big in the late 70's-early 80's.  I do like the look but wonder how quickly it will become dated.

• Love 3

Was there a dining area in Shuff's home? I saw the counter seating in the kitchen, but I don't recall seeing any other kind of dining area.

I don't like artificial flowers, but I was surprised and pleased to like the variety of plants that Erin used in the window boxes.

• Love 1

I really liked the makeover last night, and loved Ben's live edge coffee table.     I have read he's redoing a bar top at Ole Miss, and using the biggest slab of wood he's ever used, a bigger version of the coffee table last night.    The coffee table top was curing at the renovation site, that Ben's friend owns.    I DVR the show, because I miss so much on the first viewing.  

The only dining area I saw was the breakfast bar in the kitchen, and it was only seating for two.    I bet there was a dining room, but only needed a little paint, and a new light fixture.   

I loved the window boxes, with the fake plants.

The house he selected was the Grubbs house.   4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath.   So it's now a  3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house house.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

Was there a dining area in Shuff's home? I saw the counter seating in the kitchen, but I don't recall seeing any other kind of dining area.

I don't like artificial flowers, but I was surprised and pleased to like the variety of plants that Erin used in the window boxes.

Not a fan of artificial flowers/plants indoors, but outdoors you don't have to worry about dust.  The rain would wash them off, and with all the humidity in Mississippi you probably would not have to be concerned about them drying out and falling apart.  I think it was a great solution for someone who has no interest in maintaining window boxes.

• Love 5

Perhaps he stores wood that he's drying off-site for the sake of space, and also because he probably keeps his shop somewhat temperature controlled, whereas in an unoccupied space you don't have to worry about that.  Or maybe when he picked it up his friend was taking a load to his storage space and just took it with him.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Funny how the patterned tile is making a comeback- it was big in the late 70's-early 80's.  I do like the look but wonder how quickly it will become dated.

Dated shmated. Liking things only based on what's trendy almost sickens me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Dated shmated. Liking things only based on what's trendy almost sickens me. 

We redid our kitchen a few years ago and we picked stained cabinets with raised panel doors, and granite with a lot of colour and movement in it.  No white or grey or marble to be seen.  

But the homeowner did indicate that he was looking at the house as an investment, and would more likely sell in a few years.  In that case something more timeless might make more sense. Then again, being able to say the house had been featured on Home Town would probably be a big incentive to buyers.

• Love 1

Geaux Tigers! I watched this episode despite the homebuyer being an Ole Miss frat boy alum. I know Ben and Erin went there too, but they aren’t obnoxious. 😆

Are paintings hung without frames a thing now?

On 3/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, buttersister said:

I've noticed some of the showers or tubs they've done have had those plastic inserts instead of tile, saves a bundle there.

I briefly rented an apartment some years back, and I was so relieved to see that fiberglass/acrylic insert. As an owner, yeah, it's not tile, but as a renter, there's no grout so the insert is squeaky clean. If I were to turn my home into a rental, I'd probably go the route of the insert.

• Love 2
On 3/10/2020 at 2:57 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

The house he selected was the Grubbs house.   4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath.   So it's now a  3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath house house. 

I think it's now a 3 bedroom, 3 bath home.  As you said, one of the bedrooms was turned into a master bath but the half bath was turned into the master closet so they took away the half bath but added a full one.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2020 at 11:46 PM, LittleIggy said:

Are paintings hung without frames a thing now?

Yes, they call them wraps.     

I wasn't sure if the master bath in the Grubbs house was actually a tiny master, and had a shower behind the door.     If so it's still 2 1/2 bath, but if they changed it to a master bath, then the house is a 3 bedroom, 3 bath.      

The cement tile (I dislike it, it's high maintenance), has now changed to many glazed tile options that look like cement tile, but are very durable.  

Tonight's new show (March 16) is so great!    Jack and Sandy Starr.   The couple were traveling, heading to Alabama, and stopped in Laurel, and fell in love with it.    Ben and Erin showed them two great houses, (I know like all of these shows, they own one already, but I like looking), and I love that they want something older to fix up and love.    The couple are both so adorable.   

The fact that 'aging in place' was considered was wonderful.   I hope the deteriorating ramp on the original house will be replaced if one is ever needed.    I love that the tree that needed to be removed (the couple's daughter is very allergic to that variety of tree) became the town Christmas tree.  

About the accents, I live in lower Alabama, and some have the dramatic local accent, but many others that grew up here don't.   It really varies.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

We really enjoyed the new episodes last night. I am really enjoying this show and Erin and Ben. I know there are probably people who don't think scaring people is funny, but we ere roaring with laughter at Erin punking Ben.

• Love 4

And she really looks like her mother. I commented to my husband last night that some of the locals have a more pronounced southern drawl than others (I grew up in PA), to which my husband, born, raised and lived most of his life in Alabama said - what accent? 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

You think she doesn’t have a professional make-up artist for the show?

I am 100% sure she does but she still has gorgeous skin! Goodness, I’m just paying the young lady a compliment!

• Love 6

I think God blessed Erin with a pretty stick. If a professional make-up artist has an already good foundation to work with, what can go wrong?

I can think of women on tv that no make-up artist could help. Photoshop would be the only answer.

• Love 4

I'm watching the rerun of Shuff Mauldin, the bachelor.    The house was 4 bed 2 1/2 bath, and after the remodel it's a 3 bed room, 3 full bath.   The 1/2 bath in the master is now a full free standing tub, and shower, and a huge master closet, space was acquired from the former 4th bedroom.      I still can't figure out about dining space, but they also didn't show the other two baths, or the other two bedrooms, so I'm guessing there is a dining room, but we didn't see it.  Or the dining area is next to the breakfast bar, in that aisle by the living room.  

That building they were using for storage with the rotten floor was not safe.    They need to get a bunch of ugly plywood, throw it down, and nail it in a place or two per sheet, before someone falls right through.    

The house hunt tonight is interesting.   A converted carriage house, over 2500 sq ft, but only 2 bed 2 bath.   Rhonda (the house hunter) is really fun.  However, the first house looks creepy, and I would't go in the basement, ever. (It's a well known fact that monsters love basements)   I think that's where the monsters are (if it has a basement).    Ben and Erin certainly are creative planning what they can do to some of these houses.    

The second house is a real Craftsman, but such a big project.   I love what they did with the house.   I see why the husband wasn't on the house hunt (or shown on the recreated house hunt).    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm watching the rerun of Shuff Mauldin, the bachelor.    The house was 4 bed 2 1/2 bath, and after the remodel it's a 3 bed room, 3 full bath.   The 1/2 bath in the master is now a full free standing tub, and shower, and a huge master closet, space was acquired from the former 4th bedroom.      I still can't figure out about dining space, but they also didn't show the other two baths, or the other two bedrooms, so I'm guessing there is a dining room, but we didn't see it.  Or the dining area is next to the breakfast bar, in that aisle by the living room.  

I watched the rerun also and noticed that on the back wall of the kitchen (where the stove was) there was a door that was often open to a room that had french doors to the outside. I'm not sure what the room is intended to be, but it would make a convenient dining room if desired. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2020 at 10:09 AM, absolutelyido said:

I watched the rerun also and noticed that on the back wall of the kitchen (where the stove was) there was a door that was often open to a room that had french doors to the outside. I'm not sure what the room is intended to be, but it would make a convenient dining room if desired. 

Good point.   I remember they moved that door, but didn't show the room.   My guess is the dining room only needed paint, and maybe a new light, so they didn't show it.    (Shuff might be from a family name, or his mother's maiden name, and it was shortened)

The episode last night mentioned that Jay threw his back out, and is in the middle of physical therapy.    I'm glad he didn't try to force himself to go up the stairs in the first house.  

Erin said she caught some virus in January on her trip to the Today show (I think the Today show), and Helen, and her mother both caught it later.    She's taking her time recovering.    Hope she's 100% soon, and her mother and daughter also.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 3/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, DonnaMae said:

Shuff?  That's his name?  I wonder where he got that nickname. 🤨

Sounds like a name a former Ole Miss frat boy would have.

I’m starting to find Erin cloying. On the other hand, I could watch Ben doing woodwork all day.

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

The episode that was new tonight (March 30) was right up my alley.  Pink and yellow are my two favorite colors and I would love to live there.  Sigh...

I'm not a pink and yellow girl, but I thought that house was darling!

On 3/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, Spunkygal said:

I have good skin for my age, but I would kill for Erin’s gorgeous, perfect, glowing complexion.

Erin is adorable. And all of a sudden, there's Helen! She's an insta-toddler!  If someone told me that some cells were scraped off Erin and then grown in a cloning lab to produce Helen, I would believe it.

• Love 2

I loved the finished house, but wonder if going with the cheaper bid on the massive termite damage will turn out to be a big mistake?     I wonder if they had a termite inspection before the client bought the house?     I know the homeowner wanted to save the floors, but that may turn out to be a huge mistake. 

The foundation issues with the water damage were very scary.   I'm surprised the house didn't collapse from the foundation, and termite issues.  

I'm just glad that the customer already owns the house, because then it's not on Ben and Erin to have to help with inspections, or any other issues with the house.   

I think the interruptions, and disagreements are to add drama, but I find it irritating too.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

I understand why they went with the lower bid for budget reasons, but I also wonder if that was the right choice.  Keeping the floors was a big deal to the homeowner, but I hope everything was mitigated properly.

What did they say about additional foundation work in the future?  I missed it. 

• Love 1

I'm rewatching this (I DVR's the later showing), and I'm going to look at the termite/foundation section.       The part where the one carpenter finds the termite damage, then when the entire floors in the bathroom with live termites, and entirely rotten subfloor and joists.    

Ben does say that the homeowner had an inspection, but I don't know how an inspector could miss the work needed to the foundation, supports, etc. under the house. 

The first foundation company gives the estimate of $50K , and with removing the floors, redoing the entire floor joist system, foundation supports, and fixing the massive erosion under the house.   It was estimated to take a month to do the subfloor, joists, 

The second foundation company says $16K, but do the work from under the floor, replace the joists, and foundation work, but leaves the floors intact over the joists.     I think that the homeowner made the wrong choice, in going with the lower price.    This method does not fix the brick skirting under the house, and that will have to be done later, at an additional cost.   

The brick skirting doesn't have anything to do with the support of the house, it's just cosmetic.        

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I was very confused the first time I watched it, so for the DVR version I looked at the foundation/termite sections, and the estimates.    I would have gone with the first company, but done the brick skirting repair later.   That would have reduced the price by a lot I bet.   However, keeping the floors intact may turn out to be a huge mistake in the long run.  

What a terrible home inspector she must have used! We walked away from a house we put a contract on based on the inspection. The homeowners had added a sunroom on the walk out basement level. The inspector went under and said rain water was washing away the ground under it because it wasn't built properly  (The house was built on a fairly steep hill).

A good inspector should have found those foundation issues. Mike Holmes would not be pleased.

• Love 6

If not the home inspector, then the termite inspection should have found the damages under the house.   The damage was so obvious even from the small screen.    I wonder if a termite inspection was skipped?     Since the homeowner bought before applying for the show, then it's certainly not on Ben or Erin.   I know having a huge bath is common now, but I would have kept two bathrooms, even though they were small.    If the homeowner was willing to go with one bath, then the first house would have been a better deal.   

• Love 1

You could see on Ben's face that the termite or house inspection wasn't on him--and he was pissed. It kinda busts anybody's bubble that the house wasn't already bought when they came on board, though--or makes Ben and Erin look amateurish. Oops.

I haven't picked up Erin being rude to Ben, but I'll watch for that. Otoh, I've been known to finish someone's sentences. Rude, you say?

• Love 3

Honestly, how could anyone miss that amount of damage?  That inspector needs to lose his/her license.  I would think the homeowner is owed some sort of compensation for an omission of that magnitude.

Yes, Ben was angry.  The homeowner did not seem very concerned, all things considered.

I am definitely going to watch the episode again when it is available on demand. 

• Love 2

Not all states license inspectors either.     Just because someone is the realtor's favorite home inspector doesn't mean they're competent.   

I would have passed on that house from the issues under the house, with inadequate supports, and the brick needing to be redone on the skirting.    I'm wondering if they house was bought for cash, because that would mean no appraisal, or inspections required.     

Yes, all of the remodeling shows, and the house hunting shows, the home is already bought before the show films.    So the house hunt is always staged.    

Erin and Ben always finish each other's sentences.    Don't forget that often the talking head portions are probably shot a bunch of times.   So people start running over each other, and screwing up their lines.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, NJMom said:

Loved the finished house but could not believe how many times Erin was dismissive of Ben when he would start to talk.

I know, right? What was wrong with that front door that Ben wanted to keep? I would rather listen to Ben than listen to Erin and her BFF. 

Why didn’t they keep the front porch screened in (I mean get new screening and all). Be more usable that way.