Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E20: Apollo Peak, Under the Weather, Seedsheet, Cropsticks

• Start Topic

Dude Wipes actually has a UFC sponsorship. I don't know how much it has actually driven their sales. But if you think about guys who say "Bro" unironically, might might use of a post-workout wipe, and would hate to be caught with a feminine or baby-oriented product in their bag, that seems like the sweet spot. Admittedly I'm stereotyping, but I'm told it's not offensive when you call it "market segmentation".

On 4/8/2017 at 10:55 AM, Silly Angel said:

Seriously. No one cares whether the scent on the wipes is "masculine" or whatever, unless you're a very specific type of sex worker whose clients request your butthole smell of Drakkar Noir. 

Reportedly it actually doesn't. The one review I saw said Dude Wipes smell exactly like any other generic kind.

13 hours ago, AEMom said:

Yes! I don't know who gets the credit for originally bringing this to my attention,  but I carefully listen now and try to see how quickly I can predict which way she's going. 

I'll take that credit. :) I mean I don't know if I deserve it or not, but I remember bringing that up here a couple years ago in response to Barbara saying "It sounds like Lori's ramping up to an offer." I'd like to think pointing out Lori's routine is my one big contribution to society.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Jamoche said:

I knew I'd seen that "snap the end off the chopsticks" idea before on a click bait article, and sure enough:

https://www.elitereaders.com/chopsticks-use/

So, she's got a patent for something that's already there? Personally I'm just going to stick to the wrapper-origami approach; you don't need to aim so precisely with it.

So, I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing you're linking to, but my recollection is there was a semi-viral article/video/explanation of why your standard snap-apart disposable chopsticks have the square attachment at the end about a year ago making the rounds, that was later proven to be a hoax (resulting in some funny videos of people trying desperately to snap the ends off chopsticks that were absolutely not designed to be snapped that way). Depending on when she started the product, it sort of sounded to me when I was watching the show like she was familiar with that, and then decided to actually make it. So her patent is on the sticks that actually do it. But the standard issue restaurant disposables are not made in a way that break in that direction.

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Not that I ever use chopsticks because I lack the talent to use them (nor go to fancy restaurants), but are restaurants washing the currently used chopstick rest things any better than the tables?

If they have them, they get washed with the other dishes.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2017 at 11:50 PM, Quickbeam said:

I loved the chopsticks lady. And the product. 

I'm not sure I see the market for them.  Restaurants that use the cheap chopsticks in the paper sleeve aren't going to spend more for chopsticks that have a build in rest for them.  Takeout places won't care at all.  Higher end restaurants provide a rest already.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:00 AM, bilgistic said:

But then, kids don't play in inclement weather anymore, do they?

When my son played travel soccer a few years ago we absolutely played in inclement weather.  Lightning would stop a game, and if the field was too wet games would be called but we played in rain, cold and snow.  There are a variety of popup shelters available for parents to use at these games, the individual pods don't seem like the best thing on the market to me.

I"m shocked that the cat wine guy got a bidding war as well.  Seriously shocked.

No idea on the seed pod thing, I checked out their web site and wasn't impressed but the idea doesn't seem horrible.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:03 PM, Lord Donia said:

If "regular" men are too humiliated to use unisex (or nondenominational as I like to think of them) bathroom wipes in the privacy of their own homes, I kinda doubt that rugby players would willingly be seen in public huddling inside plastic pods. Also unzipping the things to step out and have a chat with the coach.

I'm not a parent but I believe one of the reasons they watch their children play sports is to audibly encourage them. Or at least be readily visible on the sidelines for support. But maybe "third pod on the right" and "cheering in their heads" is good enough for the kids.

1, we were female rugby players, and absolutely we would have huddled if it meant a few minutes out of the rain and mud. I've played rugby in snow, anything to stay warm.

2, Male rugby players would definitely use the pods, not sure where the dude wipes got mixed up in this. Warmth is warmth. Granted, the pods better be washable because I can't imagine they wouldn't smell like hell's locker room after use, but still. 

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 0:00 AM, bilgistic said:

I thought the pod thing was ingenious, but unless he incorporates zippered windows on the sides, the socializing aspect of watching sports is gone. I'd think that's pretty much the only thing people are clinging to as they are struggling to get through their 10-year-old's soccer game.

But then, kids don't play in inclement weather anymore, do they?

I have a teen who plays year round soccer and they only cancel if there is lightening. I live in a colder, very rainy area, so at first the pod sounded appealing, but then I realized, as pointed out above, that I wouldn't be able to talk to any of the other parents while I was there. That's part of the fun.

I think that the chopstick woman will be sorry that she left her teaching job... Using chopsticks in a restaurant is no different than using forks, knives, etc.  Most people will rest them on their plate or find another resting place for them when they are put down.  Her 'invention' is just as useless as cat wine (IMO)...

• Love 2
On 4/8/2017 at 8:23 PM, Callaphera said:

I was really liking the SeedSheet thing. Until he poured the water on it and it smoked.

That's peat dust. The little pods have peat in them, and it's all natural. I buy them to put into trays, (You can buy them in bulk, or with a tray and clear lid) fill with water and they expand. Then you put your seeds in them and you're good to go. This product is neat, but wouldn't work for me. We have to start a lot of seeds indoors before last frost when the little peat pots can then be sowed in the ground. I have raised bed gardens, but they are outside. Moving a bunch of trays out after the last frost would be a pain.

As we're watching the chopstick lady, I said "I've seen those before..." Sure enough, I have some. I think I got them at PF Chang's, it's been a long time, but I kept them because I thought I might use them one day. Yeah, to show the Sharks they are all clueless if they didn't point that out to the woman. What's a provisional patent entail? I think the lady's got trouble ahead.

The portable shelter guy, my fiance said, "He's faking, and not doing a good job." LOL

1zh371f.jpg

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

That's peat dust. The little pods have peat in them, and it's all natural. I buy them to put into trays, (You can buy them in bulk, or with a tray and clear lid) fill with water and they expand. Then you put your seeds in them and you're good to go. This product is neat, but wouldn't work for me. We have to start a lot of seeds indoors before last frost when the little peat pots can then be sowed in the ground. I have raised bed gardens, but they are outside. Moving a bunch of trays out after the last frost would be a pain.

As we're watching the chopstick lady, I said "I've seen those before..." Sure enough, I have some. I think I got them at PF Chang's, it's been a long time, but I kept them because I thought I might use them one day. Yeah, to show the Sharks they are all clueless if they didn't point that out to the woman. What's a provisional patent entail? I think the lady's got trouble ahead.

The portable shelter guy, my fiance said, "He's faking, and not doing a good job." LOL

1zh371f.jpg

That type of chopstick just pulls apart, the end doesn't actually snap off to be a rest like her new product... but, those that you have are super cheap, so if she can't get her price to be the same as those chopsticks, she's not going to make many sales.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, roctavia said:

That type of chopstick just pulls apart, the end doesn't actually snap off to be a rest like her new product... but, those that you have are super cheap, so if she can't get her price to be the same as those chopsticks, she's not going to make many sales.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:23 PM, Callaphera said:

I was really liking the SeedSheet thing. Until he poured the water on it and it smoked. I'm sure it's just a chemical reaction to the pod thingies dissolving but it was enough to turn me off and decide that it's just as easy to dig a whole in a planter and drop some seeds in it.

I can't even with the cat wine. If it was available in stores, I'd totally expect to get a bottle of it as a gag gift but the cat on the stage? Adorable. If he had been fluffier, he would have looked just like my Duke. And I'm sure Duke would have had the same nose-up-in-the-air reaction to the wine.

To me it sure looked like the pod was smoking as it dissolved, and not like dust from the peat. My biggest question was what the pods were made from so I went digging. This is what their website says:

What are the dissolvable pouches made out of?

The dissolvable pouches are made out of a Certified-Edible PolyVinyl Alcohol film. This material is most commonly used in gel casings for pills, and the laundry pod industry. We worked with our supplier to specifically develop a Certified-Edible version, and while you certainly could eat one of our seed and soil pouches, we wouldn't recommend it, because there's some composted manure in there... and you know where manure comes from...

• Love 1

How long before they have someone on who needs money so he can franchise his 12 step program for household pets?

So, you sit in your fully enclosed pod while your kids is out there in the cold/wind/snow/rain.

I thought the seedpod thing was a great idea for those who want to garden but don't have the know-hoe or don't have the space. He should have them for flowers too. But what do your do with it at the end of the season? Can you get replacement pods?  

On 4/10/2017 at 5:54 AM, Jersey Guy 87 said:

I'm not sure I see the market for them.  Restaurants that use the cheap chopsticks in the paper sleeve aren't going to spend more for chopsticks that have a build in rest for them.  Takeout places won't care at all.  Higher end restaurants provide a rest already.

You can fold up the paper sleeve and rest your chopsticks on it.  

It is going to be difficult to go back to teaching entrepreneurship when you failed to get a deal on Shark Tank.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I thought the seedpod thing was a great idea for those who want to garden but don't have the know-hoe or don't have the space. He should have them for flowers too. But what do your do with it at the end of the season? Can you get replacement pods?

But do you have a know-spade?

• Love 3

I personally think the Sharks were kind of stuck on the price point for the Cropsticks instead of seeing the niche market it could carve out among higher end asian restaurants. I am not sure if Asia already has something like that, but if they don't, the Japanese would probably love having something like the Cropsticks. And from what i heard, the price point was only a few cents more per unit than the standard chopstick? Even if a restaurant were to pass the cost on to the customer and you count up 2 units per customer (and actually maybe save a few units since less will roll off the tables etc) that those costs passed on won't make a huge dent in the price point for restaurants. 10 cents more for a meal per person?

Oh for christ's sake ALL the cheap chopsticks in bulletproof Chinese takeout places  ALREADY WORK THIS WAY.  The only market for this is home use but since if there is one thing I have learned from this show, it's that there's  a sucker born every minute and nobody has ever gone broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. Oh, whoops! I seem to remember I knew that already.

Regarding the seed sheet thingy, there have been carpet of flowers types of products sold for many, many years in the catalogs that clog your mailbox.  Ten bucks for a carpet of zinnias!  But, sorry, its not millennial so we need a trendier, more expensive product. 

Maybe this guy should get together with the cat wine folks and sell a seed sheet o'CATNIP!

• Love 2

I don't think he was unaware of the carpet of seeds. I think he thinks he built a better mousetrap. Remains to be seen if that's the case. Or if those only are done for flowers and he's focusing on food, still don't know why a company doing sheets of seeds one way couldn't do both but maybe they have different market research telling them to go different directions?

• Love 1
On 4/11/2017 at 4:26 PM, needschocolate said:

It is going to be difficult to go back to teaching entrepreneurship when you failed to get a deal on Shark Tank.  

. . . especially when, on the same episode, someone managed to get multiple offers for wine for cats.

• Love 4

I've seen the same cat wine advertised on Facebook before he was on Shark Tank. Probably 6 months ago. I clicked on the ad to go to the website, it's expensive as hell. I can water down some Mad Dog if they decide they want a drink after a long day. (No, not really, but you get the idea)

• Love 1
On 4/12/2017 at 0:33 PM, basiltherat said:

Regarding the seed sheet thingy, there have been carpet of flowers types of products sold for many, many years in the catalogs that clog your mailbox.  Ten bucks for a carpet of zinnias!  But, sorry, its not millennial so we need a trendier, more expensive product. 

Maybe this guy should get together with the cat wine folks and sell a seed sheet o'CATNIP!

On 4/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, cooksdelight said:

These things do the same thing for a whole lot less money. I use them to get my seeds going before sticking them in my garden beds. You won't wind up with bare spots when some of the seeds in that rug don't sprout.

http://www.burpee.com/gardening-supplies/grow-kits/xl-super-growing-pellets-prod002754.html?gclid=CJeyr9KJoNMCFcNEhgodRDkEyw&cid=PPC

His had weed blocking material everywhere that there weren't seeds.  I can see his product appealing to those who want a garden but don't want to garden.  

• Love 2

True, but he was selling it as something you put in flower boxes or raised beds. You don't have weed problems with those types of planting containers. I've never had to use a weed blocker on any of my raised beds. I think it's more for the lazy type who doesn't like fiddling with seeds. I LOVE planting seeds and doing it all from scratch.

One of the cropsticks selling points in the intro was the reduction of deforestation from trees being cut down to produce them. Don't you have to cut down bamboo plants or does it grow faster and is more replaceable?  It does seem to be in many products from flooring to clothing so maybe it's more renewable.  

A lot of restaurants I've been in use reusable chopsticks. I'm not sure why they need to be disposable- it's not like they throw away forks and spoons every time you eat at a non-fast food restaurant.

Why would I want to take a class on entrepreneurship from someone who has never done it?  I guess the old adage of those who can, do, those who can't teach?  

Those pods are ridiculous to me. Can you imagine how hot and steamy they could get? You couldn't see out nor when it rains but if it helps mute loud obnoxious parents, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. 

I think kids want to see their parents (for the most part) cheering them on not a sea of plastic tents and it would be harder for people behind to see with or without a pod. No way could a team huddle in one of those. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
Added content
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

One of the cropsticks selling points in the intro was the reduction of deforestation from trees being cut down to produce them. Don't you have to cut down bamboo plants or does it grow faster and is more replaceable?  It does seem to be in many products from flooring to clothing so maybe it's more renewable.  

Bamboo is WAY more renewable than standard wood. It's a grass. It grows fast. That said, it's also kind of tempermental. Basically, trying to get bamboo growing is fairly difficult, but once it goes, it grows like madcakes. You can cut bamboo after something like 5 years, vs 20 for a tree. At the same time, if you have bamboo and some of it starts dying, you can lose the whole grove really easily. So it's tricky.

• Love 1

Bamboo chopsticks have been available for many, many years.  Nothing new or revolutionary there. 

1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I guess the old adage of those who can, do, those who can't teach?  

I have to say that I ABHOR that phrase.  It makes no sense to me and it's both insulting and demeaning to so many people who actually DID, then taught.  Science teachers have to know science to teach it.  Spanish teachers have to know Spanish to teach it.  

I think Entrepreneurship is one of the new breed of "concept" classes that don't necessarily require the teacher have any experience, they just need to have taken classes from others who simply learned from those before them.  Basically, I think it's educational Amway, and it's ridiculous to me.   

• Love 4
13 hours ago, leighdear said:

Bamboo chopsticks have been available for many, many years.  Nothing new or revolutionary there. 

I have to say that I ABHOR that phrase.  It makes no sense to me and it's both insulting and demeaning to so many people who actually DID, then taught.  Science teachers have to know science to teach it.  Spanish teachers have to know Spanish to teach it.  

I think Entrepreneurship is one of the new breed of "concept" classes that don't necessarily require the teacher have any experience, they just need to have taken classes from others who simply learned from those before them.  Basically, I think it's educational Amway, and it's ridiculous to me.   

I do not agree with this old adage either, as an ESL teacher or on a personal level. Knowing how to teach is a separate skill and having done something doesn't mean you would be good teaching it.  I'm not sure if I offended you or just that statement in general. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I do not agree with this old adage either, as an ESL teacher or on a personal level. Knowing how to teach is a separate skill and having done something doesn't mean you would be good teaching it.  I'm not sure if I offended you or just that statement in general. career is a perfect

You did not offend me at all, KMM.  And from your previous posts, I was pretty certain you didn't feel that way either, just included that adage kind of off-the-cuff.  Your career sounds like the perfect example to disprove that antiquated crap.  I'm a huge fan of all teachers, as my dad was one. We absolutely agree on this!

• Love 2
On 4/9/2017 at 8:00 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Ahem, they are the opposite of "fancy."  They are the ones you get from the local bulletproof window Chinese takeout.  That's part of the comedy here.

The sad thing for me is that I actually bought my own sushi set and chopsticks, and I still can't get the local sushi place to stop giving me wooden ones. That said, when I go to Osaka in Rochester MN, I would prefer the chopsticks that the lady had on Shark Tank to the ones they otherwise give you. You have to "sand" the splinters off by rubbing the chopsticks together, once you split them apart. And they're bamboo! And if it cost me another 10 to 25 cents for this? Yeah, I'd pony up for that.

On 4/9/2017 at 8:18 PM, AEMom said:

LOL.  As I said, I know nothing about chopsticks to even know how "fancy" they are.  :-)

My sister-in-law and niece were out this weekend. We all got sushi and they were trying to use chopsticks to eat. It was hilarious and reminded me of myself just a few years ago. At least they're good sports and will continue to use them. Hopefully, they'll eventually get it sorted.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:57 AM, starri said:

My cat is immune to catnip, so he won't be enjoying any Pinot Meow.

I think about two thirds of cats are.

Cat wine is such a ridiculous idea.  My best friend loves wine.  We both love cats.  And as a running joke between us, I pretend she's a kitty cat.  So I could probably buy one bottle as a gag gift, but that's about it.

Cropsticks seemed like someone reinventing the wheel and solving a nonexistent problem.  I don't think wood and paper products generally cause deforestation.  Trees are a renewable resource; don't tree derived products usually come from tree farms?

The tent-pod things seemed dumb.  There's no way to clear off the outside, so in rainy weather you're just going to be sitting in a pod with a blurry and vague view of your kids.  Also, didn't the guy mention that it gets hot inside that thing?  Sometimes a rainy day is cold, but during the Spring/Summer months when they're more common, it gets very warm and humid.  You're gonna be sweating up a storm in there.

Seedsheet... I distinctly remember seeing that exact same product on commercials about 20 years ago.  Different name but same product.  I don't think it's a bad idea but it sure sounds like a redundant one.

• Love 2