Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter 8

Bort

OK, didn't see that coming. Who knew Section 3 had that kind of tech?

Interesting choice starting the ep with Hamish Linklater and giving him layers and all that. We'll see what side he ends up on.

The Shadow King jumping from person to person reminded me of the Denzel Washington flick Fallen.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Who knew Section 3 had that kind of tech?

Who says that drone with the Wonka-vision technology was from Section 3? Maybe the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just wanted a word.  I could imagine them coming up with that kind of tech. You know who else might have that tech? The "Collector" from Guardians of the Galaxy.  The cross-over possibilities are endless. Hell of a cliff-hanger to leave us on though, wasn't it?  I nearly turned the TV off before the credits were done and then I thought, "Hey wait -- this is a show from the Marvel-verse and this is the last episode of the season -- better check to see if there is a post-credits teaser."  I'm so glad I did.

As a whole, that season was some surreal shit.  I'm sure I'll turn in next season but, damn -- that was weird.

Poor Melanie.  She really can't catch a break, can she?  First the love of her life gets put in suspended animation.  Then he gets revived but doesn't remember her.  Then -- at the very moment he realizes he has a wife -- he gets inhabited by a parasitic mutant with multiple personalities and takes off on a solo road-trip. Damn. That's harsh.

So . . . what to you suppose happened to the pile of soldiers?  Seems to me David would have had a hard time keeping them all entangled in that vertical rugby scrum while simultaneously fighting his inner demon.  Just a thought.

• Love 9

I'm wondering though—was that Syd in Kerry's body that Farouk was possessing? He used her power to jump from David's body to hers (with David's mind tagging along) and get free of the electronic restraints, but did he use her body's power to then swap with Kerry, or did he just jump from one brain to another on his own? Also, how did Farouk still have telekinetic powers once his connection to David was severed? He's a Xavier-level telepath, but he shouldn't be flinging people dozens of yards through the air unless that's a power of his host body.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Also, how did Farouk still have telekinetic powers once his connection to David was severed? He's a Xavier-level telepath, but he shouldn't be flinging people dozens of yards through the air unless that's a power of his host body.

I assume this version of Farouk has telekinesis in addition to telepathy.

Has it really been six weeks since David went to Summerland? It's hard to keep track of time with all the surreal mind trips but I honestly thought he'd been there about two weeks tops.

I figured that Oliver was the likely final destination for Farouk. I guess Season 2 will be more straightforward with the gang having to rescue David and then combat Oliver/Farouk.

• Love 1

The monster landing in Oliver was actually strangely poetic.

I liked the season and Dan Stevens more as it went on and the conclusion was great, but boy I agree it was a strange trip and often hard to comprehend.

Jean Smart really sells her pathos well. I felt the most for her.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm wondering though—was that Syd in Kerry's body that Farouk was possessing? He used her power to jump from David's body to hers (with David's mind tagging along) and get free of the electronic restraints, but did he use her body's power to then swap with Kerry, or did he just jump from one brain to another on his own?

As I understood it, Farouk used Syd to escape David, then used her to switch with Kerry and was dislodged from her by David, but I kinda recall in the comics he didn't need help switching.

5 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Who says that drone with the Wonka-vision technology was from Section 3? Maybe the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just wanted a word.  I could imagine them coming up with that kind of tech. You know who else might have that tech? The "Collector" from Guardians of the Galaxy.  The cross-over possibilities are endless. Hell of a cliff-hanger to leave us on though, wasn't it?  I nearly turned the TV off before the credits were done and then I thought, "Hey wait -- this is a show from the Marvel-verse and this is the last episode of the season -- better check to see if there is a post-credits teaser."  I'm so glad I did.

I stayed tuned b/c my inline TV schedule said the show lasted until 11:10. :-)

This will always be my fav version of Children of the Revolution, but that one wasn't bad.

They're totally going to bring back the dynamic duo of Oliver and Farouk/The Shadow King, right?!  I mean, as much as I really like these other characters and actors, the idea of Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement on the word's scariest road trip, doing God knows what, sounds like the greatest thing ever!  The combination of Oliver's brilliance and... well, Farouk being Farouk, is truly terrifying!

Weird, but decent finale.  I figured it was going to be one of those cases where they wrap most things up, but leave room for another chapter, so them getting the Shadow King out of Daniel wasn't surprising.  Same with him still being a threat, although for a second, I thought he was going to stay as Syd, and they were going down the more obvious "David has to face off against his love" kind of thing.  And then Kerry got taken over, and I didn't know what to think.  Rachel Keller and Amber Midthunder both were having fun being evil; the latter in particular was really nailing down some of the same looks and moves Aubrey does.

Melanie just can't catch a break, huh?

Glad Kerry and Cary are back to decent terms, even if it involved the latter having to have his spleen ruptured!

I hope they feature Ptonomy more next season.  After getting decent focus at first, he kind of faded into the background for the last half of the season.

Opening things up by following Hamish Linklater's character after he was burned, was a strange, but interesting choice.  And I'm surprised that they might be setting him up as a potential ally, now that he saw everything they are dealing with.  Of course, if it was Division 3 that ended up capturing David at the end, then that might be easier said than done!

Overall, crazy and maybe a bit uneven at times show, but damn, did I find it fascinating to watch.  Between this and Fargo, I'm all for FX just letting Noah Hawley do whatever the fuck he wants.  Really looking forward to seeing more of these characters and the cast.  Dan Stevens, Jean Smart, Rachel Keller, and Bill Irwin were all great and Jeremie Harris and Amber Midthunder did well with the material they got, but, again, Aubrey Plaza blew my mind.  I enjoyed her a lot on Parks & Rec, but I never knew she was capable of this.  One of my favorite villains in quite some time.  Can not wait to see where this goes next season!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 11

I thought Alan Sepinwall over at Hitflix nailed it, that when the show does conventional you start to notice how shallow everything feels. Obviously, it's got the great stylistic touches but eight episodes in, about zero character development. I hope with the Shadow King out of David's mind, the story gets just a little bit more concrete and we start learning about these people. It's not easy to have a main character with godlike power but they have to figure out something else than just saving David every season. 

I did like the angle they took with Hamish Linklater's character. You figure he's going to have an unstoppable vendetta against David with comic book scarring to boot and then he's easily converted to David's cause. Having Summerland working with the government moving forward is a new twist, I suppose. 

• Love 3

I disagree that there's been zero character development. David went from surrendered schizophrenic to claiming his awesome power, which was much more than people telling him he had it. He still had to develop it, trust it, and then own it. Syd went from thinking she couldn't let anyone close to letting David in, and she was his protector. Kerry went beyond being the inner personality basically let out only when fighting was needed to acting from her own will. Clark apparently went from evil, world-power agent to understanding his "enemies" and possibly taking their side. Also, David remembering his personal history, and the discovery of the Shadow King as a parasite are pretty big, story-wise. There's also them discovering and working with Oliver on the astral plane and his return to a waking state, the destruction of the Eye, and we got to see Clark's recovery story, which was an unusual angle. There was a lot of "flash" but also, IMO, plenty of substance.

• Love 15

How did Clark and the others find Summerland? I thought its location was a secret.

Poor Melanie...so sad for her. I really hope next season they can rescue Oliver.

It was interesting to see a bit of Clark's background but I admit I was getting impatient as it went on a bit long. I also wasn't sure if he was really on their side or just playing them. I think Syd shouldn't have told him so much about David. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Cardie said:

Has it really been six weeks since David went to Summerland? It's hard to keep track of time with all the surreal mind trips but I honestly thought he'd been there about two weeks tops.

More than that, if the scenes of Clark recovering at home and going from wheelchair to returning to work are any indication. I didn't have the impression that weeks and weeks had gone by either. I'd also imagine that someone with burns like Clark's would be weak as a kitten for many months if not years afterward. He might have been allowed to go home after six weeks, but I'd expect going to the bathroom and dressing himself without help would be big goals at this stage of recovery, not hiking through a forest to lead a government strike team.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Of course, if it was Division 3 that ended up capturing David at the end, then that might be easier said than done!

How did I miss this?

23 hours ago, Dead Composer said:

Why was Oliver driving a British car at the end of the ep?

Although Clement is from New Zealand, he can read as British; there was a lot of swinging 60s London about his vibe. It seemed totally fitting that he would drive a British car.

• Love 3

Honestly, if I was Farouk/the parasite/Shadow King/whatever you want to call him, I would have a lot more fun tooling around warm climates with Oliver than I would stuck in David's messed up head.

That drone thing was crazy.  It appeared to reduce David down into pure data and made off with him.  Whoever could do that is practically pulling off the transporter technology on Star Trek.  That is tech on an insane level.

I wasn't even going to watch this series originally, I just kind of happened to catch it, and I got involved.  I have to say it was a lot better than I expected it to be.  Aubrey Plaza gets a lot of credit for that, she really set a tone in this.

• Love 4

That was so baller to give us a little backstory on the baddie, with his loving husband and adopted black son.  I laughed my ass off, and I couldn't believe the chutzpah.

"Shit", he says.  Uh, what did he think was going to happen?

I was a little lost as to who was who in the final series of exchanges, but I just kind of relaxed and went with it (it was certainly clear as "Oliver" was heading down the stairs, advising people to form a bucket brigade, that he had SK in him).

That post-credits scene: I wonder if that was only added after they got picked up for a second season?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Cardie said:

Although Clement is from New Zealand, he can read as British; there was a lot of swinging 60s London about his vibe. It seemed totally fitting that he would drive a British car.

In an earlier episode, Melanie and team were in a car with the steering wheel on the British side. It looked to my fuzzy memory like the same one Oliver was driving, so I assume he took Melanie's car (or I guess it could be his car from before he went to the astral plane). I noticed the one in this episode said President across the back.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

That post-credits scene: I wonder if that was only added after they got picked up for a second season?

That's my assumption.

Edited by PatternRec
  • Love 2

Oh no! It turns out David was a Pokémon this whole time!

Really interesting season, I'm sad that its over already. Its super stylized, but I also thought they had a decent story going on, when you could follow it. Actually, if you just look at the plot, its pretty standard X Men stuff, done in a way that's quite interesting, but what makes it stand out is the trippiness, and the style. Its super weird, but I thought it worked.

Poor Melanie. Oliver finally remembers her, and then he gets possessed. Of course. I hope things work out for her and Oliver, but I can enjoy an evil road trip with Oliver and Evil Audrey Plaza for awhile. That sounds pretty awesome.

Glad to see Carey and Kerry back on good terms! They're probably my favorite supporting characters, I think their power/characters are really interesting. I guess they Kerry inevitably had to get over being angry, considering they literally share a body. Kind of hard to fight with someone at that point.

Hamish Linklater coming back in this way was really interesting. Instead of doing a typical Bad Guy Comes Back for Vengeance thing, they introduce him again with his loving family, and his struggles after a horrible injury, and, as it turns out, he can actually be a really reasonable guy, and may even become an ally. Possibly the only time in the history of superhero fiction that a bad guy will get half his face burned off and come back as LESS of an asshole. I would be interested in seeing the government working together with Summerland against a common enemy, with Clark as a kind of go between.

I don't think it was the government agency that captured David with their Pokeball. We haven't seen them have ANY technology of that standard yet, I'm thinking its a third party.

I have to say, Audrey Plaza shocked the hell out of me. I've always liked her, but she's always been quite one note (basically a variation of April from Parks and Rec), but here she showed she actually has really impressive range. I makes me want to see her in more different kinds of rolls.

All in all, really weird, often uneven, but also unique and never boring. Cant wait for more!

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I have to say, Audrey Plaza shocked the hell out of me. I've always liked her, but she's always been quite one note (basically a variation of April from Parks and Rec), but here she showed she actually has really impressive range. I makes me want to see her in more different kinds of rolls.

She'll always be Janet Snakehole to me :D 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Rickster said:

In an earlier episode, Melanie and team were in a car with the steering wheel on the British side. It looked to my fuzzy memory like the same one Oliver was driving, so I assume he took Melanie's car (or I guess it could be his car from before he went to the astral plane).

If the latter, Melanie's mutant power must be keeping luxury cars in fine running order in the States—Oliver went into deep freeze 21 years ago.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

If the latter, Melanie's mutant power must be keeping luxury cars in fine running order in the States—Oliver went into deep freeze 21 years ago.

She could always buy the type of car Oliver drove before he decamped for the astral plane. She has preserved everything of him at Summerland.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:06 AM, Bruinsfan said:

I'm wondering though—was that Syd in Kerry's body that Farouk was possessing? He used her power to jump from David's body to hers (with David's mind tagging along) and get free of the electronic restraints, but did he use her body's power to then swap with Kerry, or did he just jump from one brain to another on his own?

I'm guessing that he possessed Kerry with his own power because there was no body transformation at the end like with the other Syd body swaps we've seen.

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

have to say, Audrey Plaza shocked the hell out of me. I've always liked her, but she's always been quite one note (basically a variation of April from Parks and Rec), but here she showed she actually has really impressive range. I makes me want to see her in more different kinds of rolls.

April was very deadpan, so you're right, there wasn't that much range there.  I recently saw her in the movie "Mike and Dave need Wedding Dates" with Anna Kendrick.  She played kind of an slightly evil/manipulative/wild party girl type.  When I saw it, I had been watching Legion, so I could see there was a similar type of darkness running through there.  Not sure I could recommend the movie, but she must have been working on those projects at somewhere around the same time.  I wonder if there was any spill over there.

On 3/29/2017 at 9:00 PM, WatchrTina said:

Who says that drone with the Wonka-vision technology was from Section 3? Maybe the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just wanted a word.  I could imagine them coming up with that kind of tech. You know who else might have that tech? The "Collector" from Guardians of the Galaxy.  The cross-over possibilities are endless.

My first thought when I saw it was totally The Collector.

I really liked the editing on the Syd to Kerry body switch with the facr morph into Aubrey Plaza. It was slick.

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

My first thought when I saw it was totally The Collector.

For some reason, my first thought was Forge. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I've read that some are thinking it was Mojo.

42 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

For some reason, my first thought was Forge. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. I've read that some are thinking it was Mojo.

Heh I like the idea of Forge, though Hawley himself implied it's something deployed by D3. 

As for the Mojo theories, they all stem from the fact that in the first episode of Legion there was a shot of SK that looked a little like Mojo. There's nothing indicating Mojo about that sphere whatsoever. 

• Love 1

It made me think of Nanny from the X-Factor comics. Though I suppose it could also indicate one of the alien races the X-Men have run afoul of—David's story has co-opted a few elements from the Dark Phoenix Saga, and the Shi'ar performed a high tech kidnapping in that.

• Love 1
On 3/31/2017 at 9:10 AM, Frost said:

Is that post-credits scene available anywhere for those of us innocent enough to shut off the TV mid-credits?

Amy wasn't in this episode at all, was she? 

2 hours ago, Frost said:

Thanks Ramble! 

Who was that body hanging in the window behind David and Syd?

I think it's a practice dummy, like for practicing self-defense or martial arts.

Caught up. Of course the cliffhanger would be David getting trapped in a Pokeball. At this point, why not? "AWRIGHT!!! I CAUGHT A DAVID HALLER!!!" "Pika Pikachu!!" "No you haven't, you little bastard! LET ME OUT!!!"

Good series, to the point where an X-Men ongoing might not be for the best, because Legion has set the bar too high. I know that DC Comics has six series on varying platforms (Arrow: gritty action; Legends of Tomorrow: fun stuff; Gotham: the show where no fucks are given), and Marvel can do that as well with their mutant-based properties, but Legion made you think a little too hard.

I liked the solider stack. Non-lethal, and the soliders looked really inconvenienced.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2017 at 5:33 AM, thuganomics85 said:

the idea of Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement on the word's scariest road trip, doing God knows what, sounds like the greatest thing ever!

I couldn't agree more.  As that scene played out I was thinking to myself that the level of awesome in that car should have shattered the cameras.

• Love 4

This shouldn't have really worked for me, because I'm at best a reluctant consumer of both comic book stuff and Noah Hawley.  I also don't follow head-trip/unreliable-narrator stories well, unless it's being spoon-fed to me like something from House. 

But they got me with the styling, and once hooked, Aubrey Plaza dragged me through to the end. (Although I only found out about the tag scene from this very thread.) 

I had seen her in exactly one thing before this, the Hamilton episode of Drunk History ... where she plays Aaron Burr. 

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/saf9fp/drunk-history-alexander-hamilton-teams-up-with-george-washington

I literally couldn't take my eyes off her anytime she appeared on-screen in Legion, and I'm a person who always has a tablet in one hand.

• Love 3
On 4/9/2017 at 2:00 PM, Lantern7 said:

I liked the solider stack. Non-lethal, and the soliders looked really inconvenienced.

It reminded me of the freaky totem pole in Hannibal. 

Inconvenienced... heh.  

ebbf93815f75a2d17e4194945c45af1f.jpg