Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Intergalactic Congress

I knew it! With the episode count left weeks ago I knew they'd eventually let them compete individually. I'm a little sad because I really wanted an Emily/Tyler co-win. So much for that dream.

• Love 6

I'm a little irritated by how many times they've changed the format. First teams of 2 with both being eliminated, then super teams with an individual being eliminated, now competing individually. I really would have liked to see them stick with teams of 2 to the very end. I would have been happy with either Emily/Tyler or George/Cig winning as a team. (Or at the very least, they should have stuck with the super teams until it was down to a team of 2 and a team of 1. And then go into individual competition for the finale.) So I say scrap the car prize, have them split the cash, and send them both on the trip.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

I'm a little irritated by how many times they've changed the format. First teams of 2 with both being eliminated, then super teams with an individual being eliminated, now competing individually. I really would have liked to see them stick with teams of 2 to the very end. I would have been happy with either Emily/Tyler or George/Cig winning as a team. 

I agree. The whole season has been based on teamwork and now it's every contestant for him/herself. Not that the contestants weren't probably warned, but it changes the feel of the thing for us, the viewers. We have gotten pretty invested in these teams!

So I say scrap the car prize, have them split the cash, and send them both on the trip.

Now THAT would be an awesome reality show! I would totally watch Cig and George and Tyler and Emily Go to ComiCon. They could even set up a booth and do face painting, Face Off style. Or London. Can you imagine these guys doing the Jack the Ripper tour? Good times.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Reishe said:

We have gotten pretty invested in these teams!

Exactly! I don't want to suddenly be forced to choose between Cig and George or between Tyler and Emily. I truly think, most especially with these two pairings, that they brought out the best in each other. I don't really remember any of them on their season, I've only seen two other seasons so probably didn't see any of them, but I can't imaging Cig without George, George without Cig. and in my mind Tyler and Emily are the best siblings in the world (just the vibe I get off them, not saying they are actually related). I don't want them to now have to compete against each other.

These last few eps are going to be hard. I've really come to love these four people so much I don't want to see them have to knock each other out of the running. I'm not a "participation trophy" kind of person but....can't they all win, together. The prize should be some kind of group project they all get to work on together for one of the judges projects.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

These last few eps are going to be hard. I've really come to love these four people so much I don't want to see them have to knock each other out of the running.

Yeah, I hear ya, but won't it be freaking AWESOME to see these talented artists "face off"???  I mean, I'd rather see a fantastic, nail biting, who do I root for top six (five, four, etc.) than a clear delineation of This Person Is Going To Win The Whole Thing.  I've been loving this season, with this last week's exception, and I'm mad excited to keep going on.  It is anyone's game, and will continue to be.  Though I'm dearly hoping an Intergalactic Congress makes more sense than the human one we have here....JMO.

• Love 9

I would have had a really hard time picking between George and Evan to go.  I think they both missed the mark.  I actually thought George missed it by more, but Evan was done in by the bad application.  And honestly, from the way Glenn was talking, if he'd decided unilaterally, I think it might have been George.

No quibble with the top looks.  I think Emily's piece looking so much like Star Trek (do we know if she's seen Star Trek?) in the best sense of that, really showed how great she can be when she pushes herself.  I figured that mold drama and her being flustered was an editing trick, but I was nervous for a minute.  And Tyler's was...just, wow. Probably my favorite from this season.

• Love 2

I initially thought it would be George, too, but that neck brace wearing Jabba look a like did Evan in.  I wasn't crying in my beer he went home.  He's done well, but George has done much better.  Happy with the top five. 

• Love 2

The neck brace and crooked Jabba/weird old Dr. Who villain did him in. It maybe was a cool idea but went off-track.

Emily is still very young but does exceptional work. Reminds me of a young Laura or Dina type. Her alien would have worked in any iteration of Star Trek.

Tyler deserved the win, but it was close with Emily.

The finale is shaping up to be a very tight and interesting race as all the remaining face-testants are talented enough to win.

• Love 5

I'm still wondering how Tyler so successfully made his face look so old without altering colors.  That was so spectacular, it's a shame that he can't alter it into a lamp base and sell it. 

I like Emily's and how un-Emily it was and I loved the Editing that showed her choosing colors.in a panic. in a total panic. 

Sometimes instincts are real important.

• Love 2

They really faked me out because it seemed like Emily was crying in all her THs.  Glad she pulled out a top look.

The one thing I didn't like about Tyler's was the eyes. They were pink underneath, and it just looked like human eyes peering out of an oversized mask.

Totally agree with Evan going home.  His look was far below any of the others.

George's colors didn't bother me.  It's an alien, who's to say they don't come in bright colors? (Maybe he should have said it was mating season back home, so hormonally the alien's colors brightened to lure a female.)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

I'm still wondering how Tyler so successfully made his face look so old without altering colors.

I was thinking on that too, and I think it came down to the eyes. Somehow the mauve coloring around the eyes and the pale, almost cataract-looking contacts gave the makeup that elderly look - IMO, that is. I really wasn't sure about his idea when he first started on it, but it really did turn out well. Good for you, Tyler! Barring a complete meltdown, he seems a shoo-in for the finale.

I also liked that Emily purposefully stepped out of her comfort zone and ended up doing so well. She really does have an instinct on what will work and how to bring it all together. I'd really wanted her to win in her original season, and I would be thrilled if she can get a win this time around. Tyler won't make it easy, though!

i'm glad that George is still around just for his quips if nothing else. ("You're an oven mitt!" is now my favorite new insult, too) He's so damn entertaining, and I did feel bad that he and Cig were split up after working so well together. I knew they'd split them into individuals at some point, though, so no big surprise there.

He and Evan "making the Bens kiss" was frigging hilarious, especially with Mackenzie losing it and hearing the judges laugh along too just sold it.

So Hawaiian gods and goddesses next week sounds pretty cool.

• Love 4

One thing I like now that we are down to a handful of contestants each making one design is that we got to see some more specifics of the creation. I loved seeing the whole process of Tyler making those diamond pieces (painting the inside of clear plastic pieces, stuffing the inside with plastic wrap, and using acrylic paint on the outside).

I liked Logan's, particularly the little ridges on the side of the head, but I didn't like the colors on the top which seemed kind of flat.

I love Emily, but I didn't love her alien this week. It looked too much like things I've seen before, from the color palate to the speckling to the shape. Despite that, I thought hers was the most camera ready head to toe character.

I liked Tyler's. That bluish color was a nice change and I liked the ridges and shapes. The face was gorgeous up close and I loved that the shape of the head was visibly alien and different even from a distance. I had to give him a few demerits for the subpar white sheet he put on his character.

Evan's looked like a cheap rubber mask that had melted.

Cig's was interesting and weird, but I am over his "I'm so wacky" schtick with the little monster on his own forehead at judging. I with the judges that a better paint job would have highlighted what he did so much better.

George's looked like a big bug from a distance. Up close it looked more lizardy. I wasn't a fan.

On a shallow note, I HATED the chest cut outs on Mackenzie's dress. From a distance, it looked like she had put a brownish bikini or bra on top of her blue dress and then hiked it up.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

George's colors didn't bother me.  It's an alien, who's to say they don't come in bright colors?

It didn't really fit the brief, though.  It looked like something out of Irwin Allen production, not the United Federation of Planets.

• Love 2

I finally figured out what Cig's little monster hat is:  a goon skin cap!

But this show, oh the feels.  These guys all love each other, that's plain to see.  How many reality competitions can you say that about?

• Love 6

I am loving the t-shirts with the faces on them. I want to know the background - Does everyone hav one of each of the contestants.  Did the show give them the shirts? Is there a shirt printing place nearby? Did George and Cig each make a set for themselves and are letting others borrow them? 

I thought all the make-ups looked good, except Evan's.  No surprise he went home.  It was a case of a good artist having a bad day.  

No offense to Logan, he seems very talented, but I really want a final four of Emily, Cig, George, and Tyler. My final two would be Emily and Tyler, with Cig and George as their assistants.  

I was surprised to an extent that Logan was safe, he was not one of my fav looks.  Good on Tyler though, for his win.  IF I'm going to be honest, and I really should be, I wasn't all about this episode.  Like I said a while back I expected, IDK, more.  All these looks/shapes/whatever felt very done to me.  Like I've seen them before.  I was expecting everyone to go all out, elder statesmen and the like and.......meh.  I mean, it was better than last week, but I think these guys are running out of steam.  I'm very happy with who is left, but I want them to REALLY blow it out of the water next week.  Cool theme, is that.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I am loving the t-shirts with the faces on them. I want to know the background - Does everyone hav one of each of the contestants.  Did the show give them the shirts? Is there a shirt printing place nearby? Did George and Cig each make a set for themselves and are letting others borrow them? 

I thought all the make-ups looked good, except Evan's.  No surprise he went home.  It was a case of a good artist having a bad day.  

No offense to Logan, he seems very talented, but I really want a final four of Emily, Cig, George, and Tyler. My final two would be Emily and Tyler, with Cig and George as their assistants.  

I think Ben and Evan had a bunch of t-shirts made up with their own faces on them. Sort of like team t-shirts. When they merged with Cig and George, they painted over their own faces to make it look like C&G's. This episode Evan, George and Emily were all wearing t-shirts with Ben's face on it as way to honor him.

I love this show for its camaraderie; it's the best part and the reason why I love this show best of all reality programs ever. George broke my heart a little because he was missing Cig so much! :)

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 8

The shirts go back to Ben's season, when he periodically wore T-shirts with his face on them. They never said anything about it, and it took me nearly all season to realize that it was, in fact, his face. So I was amused when they started this season with him wearing Evan's face and vice versa, and then they adapted them into Cig & George shirts, and now it's a thing. Loved them all wearing the shirts as a tribute this week. I agree with others that the camaraderie is a huge reason why I still watch this show when I've quit nearly every other reality competition.

Evan's creation made me laugh out loud every time it was on screen. I suppose that wasn't the reaction he was going for, but it was the strongest I felt about any of the looks this week.

• Love 6

I wonder if they brought the silk screens and made additional shirts once they decided they liked them.  Once a screen is made, it only takes the screen, a blank Tshirt, some fabric die, one squeegy and an iron to make more.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Cig's was interesting and weird, but I am over his "I'm so wacky" schtick with the little monster on his own forehead at judging. I with the judges that a better paint job would have highlighted what he did so much better.

George's looked like a big bug from a distance. Up close it looked more lizardy. I wasn't a fan.

On a shallow note, I HATED the chest cut outs on Mackenzie's dress. From a distance, it looked like she had put a brownish bikini or bra on top of her blue dress and then hiked it up.

They looked like chicken cutlets on her dress...who thought that was a good idea?

• Love 2

How does Tyler not win this season? I feel like he holds some record for most wins.

What happened to Evan this season? I remember rooting for him his first season but his work was so different this season.

• Love 1

Tyler's creation was great and I was happy he won.  George's wasn't his best work to be sure but Evan's was awful so I wasn't as worried about George as I might have been otherwise.  I think that the main problem with George's alien was the relative positions of the features.  He had to place the nostrils a certain distance above the mouth so the model could see out but then he put the eyes too close to the nostrils so they looked more like protuberances from the cheeks than eyes.

I like George, Emily and Tyler a lot but I hope Cig wins.  I'm not usually into people with so many obvious shticks but he's so good-natured and talented that he's been a favorite of mine since his first season.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, feverfew said:

I think Ben and Evan had a bunch of t-shirts made up with their own faces on them. Sort of like team t-shirts. When they merged with Cig and George, they painted over their own faces to make it look like C&G's. This episode Evan, George and Emily were all wearing t-shirts with Ben's face on it as way to honor him.

I love this show for its camaraderie; it's the best part and the reason why I love this show best of all reality programs ever. George broke my heart a little because he was missing Cig so much! :)

I think that George needs Cig more than Cig needs George.  I think that Cig brought out the absolute best in George and I hated to see him struggle.

1 hour ago, mlp said:

I like George, Emily and Tyler a lot but I hope Cig wins.  I'm not usually into people with so many obvious shticks but he's so good-natured and talented that he's been a favorite of mine since his first season.  

Me too.  I like the 4 of them, but I'm routing for Cig.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Lugal said:

I have to agree with Tyler as the winner, that make-up was incredible.

Based on the recap pix, I'd agree, but I thought Emily's was better while watching the episode. Something about the color gradations of Tyler's just didn't work in getting to my TV. I guess that means Emily's was more camera-ready.

• Love 2

I really did like the whole alien congress idea, but I don't think anyone really came up with anything creative.  Agree that Evan's creation was pretty bad, but I thought the model did the best job selling it.  I admit that I many be influenced by my deep love for Jabba the Hut.

Is Mr. Westmore really as nice as he comes off here?  He not only gives great advice, he does it so tactfully and kindly.  Speaking of Westmores - I liked Mackenzie's hair in the opening scene, and I did like the cut-out dress.

• Love 3

No problem with this episode bottom look (Evan has always been the weakest of the bunch), but I was incredibly bored by Emily &  Tyler's creations. Which made all the praise from the judges that more annoying : no, sorry, I'd rather have an exploratory, cartoony, excentric character like George's than a well-fabricated/applied/painted, ready-for-camera character that is just bland and absolutely unmemorable, such as Emily's.

I didn't get the praise for Emily's look. I read the recap here before watching the ep and thought it was a bottom look then thought it must look better in motion. I've had that happen before, where I hated something in the still shot but ended up liking it on the show. Nope. I still would have put her in the bottom with Evan, still with Evan going home because that was by far the worst look of the night. I agree with Tyler's win though. That was quite beautiful. I would have thrown Cig in as second and George third. I liked his bug eyed alien. Logan's was okay.

At least the brief was a lot less convoluted than that witch thing but I was pretty underwhelmed by the outcome. I hope next weeks more unique challenge gives us better results.

I miss the teams.

• Love 2
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 1:14 PM, Mabinogia said:

The prize should be some kind of group project they all get to work on together for one of the judges projects.

I think this is a brilliant idea.

16 hours ago, Rammchick said:

But this show, oh the feels.  These guys all love each other, that's plain to see.  HoI w many reality competitions can you say that about?

Right? I felt so bad for George and was happy when he & Cig wore their shorty shorts together anyway, and the "you run like you shit your pants" was funny!

12 hours ago, enoughcats said:

I wonder if they brought the silk screens and made additional shirts once they decided they liked them.  Once a screen is made, it only takes the screen, a blank Tshirt, some fabric die, one squeegy and an iron to make more.

I assumed that too, since they're all artists.

15 hours ago, needschocolate said:

My final two would be Emily and Tyler, with Cig and George as their assistants.  

See, I would want Tyler with Emily and Cig with George, and I don't care who's on top because I think they would work as hard for each other as they would for themselves.

7 hours ago, sourpickles said:

I kinda do, too.  I was hoping for co-champions, and I wonder if this didn't take some of the wind out their sails.

I think so too.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I really did like the whole alien congress idea, but I don't think anyone really came up with anything creative.

Between all of the big-name sci-fi franchises, what hasn't already been done with a model in makeup? Anything "creative" would have likely been judged as not fitting the challenge.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Between all of the big-name sci-fi franchises, what hasn't already been done with a model in makeup? Anything "creative" would have likely been judged as not fitting the challenge.

Yeah, you're right, these are not professionals like on Face Off, but still . . .. .  Of course, they really don't have a lot of time, either.

Emily's creation really emphasized how important the paint job is. When I first saw her sculpting the head I found it quite unremarkable, but the final paint job really changed my mind.

• Love 1
On 4/5/2017 at 10:36 AM, enoughcats said:

According to Cig on Reddit, they weren't allowed any art supplies after hours. They had to get special permission and supervision when they altered to t shirts to look like Cig and George.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, langslow said:

They had to get special permission and supervision when they altered to t shirts to look like Cig and George.

I find it adorable that they did go and get permission. It wasn't just a "we're bored, let's make these". They had to make an effort to do it.

• Love 5

I will continue to watch this show with my hands over my eyes--as I've said in the past, I don't want any of the Fab Four to lose.

I absolutely loved George's TH when he talked about being ripped apart from his best friend, and the longing looks between him and Cig that the editor threw in after that. And I'm so proud of Emily for pushing herself to make something un-Emily-like. She is always so embracing of new challenges. Remember in her previous season, where so many of her creations had a strong hair statement? Here she created a character with no hair when the stakes were high. 

I wish Skiffy would make a "where are they now" show, but I wonder if they are afraid to make it too obvious if a lot of successful contestants weren't able to turn the exposure into business success (I honestly don't know if this is the case; I know Laura and a couple of others have worked for Ve, and Anthony has a successful school, but don't know where the others landed.)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Reishe said:

I don't want any of the Fab Four to lose.

They really need to open a company together and call it Fab Four Fabrications. Their work would be epic, and I would keep my cable just to watch the reality show that follows them as they start their company and pitch their ideas and work away in their shop together in cute matching teeshirts. They could have company cats, a black cat named Glenn, then a ginger named Ve and a slender smoky grey cat named Neville. I would seriously watch the hell out of that show.

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I would seriously watch the hell out of that show.

Would you mind if the "clients" were obviously fake? That's what they'll do unless somebody decides they need a new version of this show, and outright make it a competition to find people to hire for the new company.

Sorry, but I loved George's bug-eyed alien. It's one of the few times I've disagreed with the judges. Even though Emily's was painted beautifully, I just thought there was so much more alien to George's. And while Cig's is more alien, I can't see past the Sy Snootles lipstick even if they aren't on a protruding snout. However, I do agree with the judges for sending Evan home. While I appreciate him trying to alter the mouth and nose structure from a human norm, the over all melted blob effect wasn't enjoyable to look at.

• Love 3

Random thought time....................in anticipation for tonight's Hawaiian theme, was watching the reruns of the Return of the Champions season.  I had forgotten how intensely grateful I am that the nose rings have been kept to a minimum this season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

Random thought time....................in anticipation for tonight's Hawaiian theme, was watching the reruns of the Return of the Champions season.  I had forgotten how intensely grateful I am that the nose rings have been kept to a minimum this season.

LOL! I always wonder how people who wear that deal with a runny nose, or with those buggers that refuse to budge.  Can't imagine it's easy! :D 

• Love 3