Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Chapter 7

31 minutes ago, talktalk said:

Who is the guy showed up with an army at the end of the episode? Why is his face half burnt?

The guy who took him from the hospital and was burned by the rescue. He had David in a pool in an attempt to interrogate him. It was quite a few episodes ago.

Who was that guy in the wheelchair in the imaginary hospital ? He was part of the team but I don't know anything about him. Is he the pyrokinetic ? 

Presumably David will remember that he has class 5 telekinesis or the ability to teleport at the start of the next episode. I wonder what he'll do against the Division 3 threat. Fight or flee ? 

• Love 1

Burned Face was the interrogator in the first episodes - he's the one who got jabbed in the face with a pen while questioning David.  Wheelchair guy was Rudy, the mutant who's part of the team - he was the one who led the raid into D3 and sent the metal door into the air with a wave of his hand.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

I binge watched the first six episodes on Hulu and it's much easier to keep track of what's going on when you can watch them back to back.  It's been about 4 days since I watched episode 6 and that was enough to take a while to get into the flow of this episode. 

Even though I love Dan Stevens' real voice, I found the alter ego with the British accent distracting.  Too meta.  Being buried alive is my worst nightmare and to basically have the actor himself pop into the coffin with David broke the scene. 

I feel for poor Amy.  She's been through hell just because she's David's sister and nobody really cares about her because she doesn't have any powers and even David was dismissive about her husband being frantic with worry.  Although now I'm suspicious of Amy's husband, Ben.  Is that a possible reason for the Benny/Lenny confusion?  Did Ben marry Amy to keep track of David somehow?  This show makes me suspicious of absolutely everyone's motives.  Except for Amy.  I believe she loves David as her little brother, couldn't care less that he was adopted, and wants him to be happy.  Now that I've said that, she'll probably turn out to be the most evil of them all!

• Love 2

So it's a problem for Amy to call her husband from a pay phone, but just fine for the Summerland folks to drive right from Mutant Camp to the old Haller house and Division 3 Headquarters?  Yeah, not loving how Amy's worries are just dismissed out of hand. Hell, couldn't David just teleport her to her home so she can tell Ben she's OK in person?

How the hell did Carey manage to move that headband from his body's hand to David's head while in astral form? And what was Oliver doing with the musical notes he was calling up in front of the bullets?

Interesting to find out that both Oliver and Carey are aware of who Amahl Farouk was. Have they had conflicts with him at some point in the past?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SlackerInc said:

So much better than last week.  A return to form!

Boo! Last week was awesome! But I did love this week's as well. Loved American Dan Stevens arguing with Brit Dan Stevens ("is that supposed to be a british accent?' ha!)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Why doesn't Oliver know his wife?

Why am I watching this when I know better?

He's been stuck in the astral plane for 21 years and he's lost a lot of memories during that time because he was essentially projecting his psychic self during that whole time and fragmenting... 

Presumably because you find it interesting if a bit confusing. Might be an idea to try and give the show a break and binge watch the show after the last episode airs. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wayne67 said:

He's been stuck in the astral plane for 21 years and he's lost a lot of memories during that time because he was essentially projecting his psychic self during that whole time and fragmenting... 

Presumably because you find it interesting if a bit confusing. Might be an idea to try and give the show a break and binge watch the show after the last episode airs. 

"projecting his psychic self during that whole time and fragmenting..." means nothing.  And I couldn't have known that from what they have shown on the show anyway.  So he just forgot his wife.

I found it interesting in the beginning, then it degenerated into the needlessly trippy, and now it's just comic book gobbledy gook.

I couldn't possibly binge watch this - I'd fall asleep or get bored and wander off.  60 minutes at a time, I can handle.  Especially with some nice commercials to break it up.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

How the hell did Carey manage to move that headband from his body's hand to David's head while in astral form? And what was Oliver doing with the musical notes he was calling up in front of the bullets?

1) Heck if I know. Borrowing a bit of Rudy's TK? David's? Related to the existence of Kerry? (Kerry doesn't have an actual flesh & blood body but is a 3D telekinetic projection of Cary's mind so his astral form can get some tangible results???? Hey, I'm just shooting off ideas here.)

2) I saw the word "shield" in there amidst the letters/notes. We don't know the extent of his powers so why not?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, patty1h said:

Wheelchair guy was Rudy, the mutant who's part of the team - he was the one who led the raid into D3 and sent the metal door into the air with a wave of his hand.

And The Eye (Walter) put him in a closet (Melanie found him dripping blood), and took his place as the person who fired the bullets towards David and Syd, and then he turned back into crumpled Walter once David broke free.

• Love 1

I thought I remembered the Eye being the one who burst in and started firing bullets! Interesting that his disguise held up even to disembodied astral projections looking at the scene frozen in time. Though it apparently couldn't hold up to him being wrung out like a dish sponge...

3 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

1) Heck if I know. Borrowing a bit of Rudy's TK? David's? Related to the existence of Kerry? (Kerry doesn't have an actual flesh & blood body but is a 3D telekinetic projection of Cary's mind so his astral form can get some tangible results???? Hey, I'm just shooting off ideas here.)

2) I saw the word "shield" in there amidst the letters/notes. We don't know the extent of his powers so why not?

Ooooo, I like the idea that since Carey's power involves manifesting a physical body for the mind of his own hitchhiker, he could do something similar for his own projected mind. Though if Oliver could affect physical reality from the astral plane, it seems weird that he raised the question about what they could do in the first place.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

"projecting his psychic self during that whole time and fragmenting..." means nothing.  And I couldn't have known that from what they have shown on the show anyway.  So he just forgot his wife.

Well they showed his body in that room where they were cryogenically storing him so his body was in one place and Melanie told David about how he was exploring this other place where he could basically be god with his psychic powers and he got lost/stuck there. Then we had the episode where David and Oliver had a conversation in the ice cube and Oliver was unclear as to what day or decade it was.  I thought it was fairly clear that his psyche/ self was breaking apart after a long absence from his body especially after all those dire predictions about David being lost after such a short time locked away in the smallest part of his own mind. 

*shrugs* This show throws a handful of jigsaw pieces out every episode and sometimes they help, sometimes they add confusion. 

• Love 4

This show is like what happens when you watch the first X Men movie, Parks and Rec, and then doing a TON of LSD. Its pretty awesome. I frequently have no idea what's going on (so its a silent movie now?), but I dig it.

So looks like we are confirming that Professor X is David's bio dad right? We saw his wheelchair for a second, his description of what his dad must be like fits, and the story with the Shadow King lines up at least somewhat with comic history, so it would work out. I just have no idea where this fits into the X Men universe, or if it does at all. And I have no clue who his mother could be. After all, we all know that Charles True Love is Eric/Magneto. I've seen the movies, I know the score.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

And what was Oliver doing with the musical notes he was calling up in front of the bullets?

I'm guessing his powers are language related; those weren't musical notes, but words. I saw the word 'shield' in there at least once. It would fit with his penchant for beat poetry and storytelling. Seems like kind of a "Cypher" sort of character.

I'm alternately annoyed and pleased that the writers don't explicitly spell out character's powers most of the time, but leave it to the context, visuals, and the audience's own ability to put two and two together. Pleased that they have that trust in us, and annoyed because sometimes it is still a little vague.

A bit sorry to see the Eye go; he was a really menacing villain, although rather ineffectual in the end. I'm not really sure why Farouk killed him off.

I thought the episode was a bit too expository towards the beginning, with the revelations about Farouk. For all that they'd been dropping vague hints, it was jarring that they went full steam ahead with it. Definitely picked up after that, though, with some really cool visuals.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and find out that everyone here is a manifestation of David's multiple personality syndrome. I can't imagine they'd jettison that defining aspect of his character entirely.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 2

The chalkboard scene might have been one of the best exposition on any show in quite some time.  And I got a kick out of British David, which I'm guessing is on Dan Stevens sounds like in real life.  The entire way the two Davids play off one another was great and immersive. Not quite as good as the clone interactions in Orphan Black, but still very good.

Just when I think this show can't go even more insane, they do a silent black & white segment, complete with title cards, instrumental music, and a whole lot of facial and physical acting!  And every time I think I can't be amazed by Aubrey Plaza anymore, she exceeds my expectations.  She was golden in that entire bit.  I still can't believe April from Parks & Recs has become one of my favorite comic villains of all time.

Glad they got Oliver out, but sending so much time in the Astral Plane has made him loose any sense of time, and more importantly, he can't even remember Melanie anymore.

Weird that Ptonomy wasn't involved in what was going on, and only really showed up at the end.

Aww, Carey and Kerry are on the outs, now!

Syd was looking good in those glasses, but then again, Rachel Keller can probably look great in anything, I suspect.

So, The Eye gets brutally taken out of the picture, but Division 3 is back, along with Hamish Linklater's character from the pilot, only half burnt now.  Uh oh!

Season finale time soon.  I can only imagine what insanity Noah Hawley and crew will have for this one! 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, PatternRec said:

There's only one episode left. 

I know, the season went quick.  I'm not convinced there are going to get this fully resolved this season (if it ever gets resolved).  I've never read any Legion comic books so I have no idea what the outcome with the Shadow King is.  If they manage to get rid of him, it seems like the series would have an entirely different tone, unless David finds a way to use him or control him.

A lot of people were saying the identity of David's father was confirmed last week, but I'd say that is actually true this week.  That was definitely Professor X's chair.  And no coincidence David drew his father without hair.  I never knew that the identity of his father was in question though, I thought that was the premise going in, even if they didn't come right out and say it right away.

• Love 2

Somebody asked who was the person in the wheelchair. Which one? One was OBVIOUSLY Charles Exaviour, which we saw as a memory in Amy's mind.
The other was the guy who hit people and could move them like slapped with a gigantic hand or something. He was in a chair due to him being shot or something?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Eneya said:

The other was the guy who hit people and could move them like slapped with a gigantic hand or something. He was in a chair due to him being shot or something?

Yeah, it appears he had been shot.  I was confused over who he was at first also.   Guess his character wasn't particularly memorable for some reason, since other posters here couldn't figure out who he was either.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I also loved how when the guys with machine guns all showed up, Oliver was still trying to get a few sips of his drink before he had to put his hands up! Priorities in line.

That was awesome, I love the Oliver character.  Hope he'll be sticking around.

• Love 1

I will watch the last episode but if there is another season I definitely won't be there.  I agree with Meep.Meep:

On 3/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, meep.meep said:

I found it interesting in the beginning, then it degenerated into the needlessly trippy, and now it's just comic book gobbledy gook.

And I believe I watched the first X Men movie but wouldn't swear to it.  So I don't know who Professor X is.  I would never have started this if I'd known it was one of those Comic Book Super Hero things.  The review I read emphasized Dan Stevens performance and specifically said he played it straight, which I took to mean that it was not necessarily a comic book adaptation.  Now that I know I am wrong I am just not that interested.  I didn't know Dan Stevens before but I've been impressed with him.  I cannot imagine binge watching this, especially the later episodes with all the power stuff have been somewhat boring to me.

• Love 4

I watched because after watching Downton Abbey, I wanted to see if Dan Stevens could really act.  He can.  His parts in this are good.  Everyone is good.  It just isn't worth the sum of the parts.  It was cool to see the guy from Dark Shadows after all these years....

1 hour ago, gibasi said:

I will watch the last episode but if there is another season I definitely won't be there.  I agree with Meep.Meep:

And I believe I watched the first X Men movie but wouldn't swear to it.  So I don't know who Professor X is.  I would never have started this if I'd known it was one of those Comic Book Super Hero things.  The review I read emphasized Dan Stevens performance and specifically said he played it straight, which I took to mean that it was not necessarily a comic book adaptation.  Now that I know I am wrong I am just not that interested.  I didn't know Dan Stevens before but I've been impressed with him.  I cannot imagine binge watching this, especially the later episodes with all the power stuff have been somewhat boring to me.

I can respect that. On the other hand this kind of show is basically my catnip. I read superhero comics as a kid, but stopped reading them as an adult and moved on to stuff like Sandman etc. But every once in a while there's a smaller superhero thing done by someone who wants to tell a story in a different way from the mainstream money making stuff and this show is the TV version of that.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, PatternRec said:

I can respect that. On the other hand this kind of show is basically my catnip. I read superhero comics as a kid, but stopped reading them as an adult and moved on to stuff like Sandman etc. But every once in a while there's a smaller superhero thing done by someone who wants to tell a story in a different way from the mainstream money making stuff and this show is the TV version of that.  

You are right and it is my own fault. I feel like I will like this kind of show because I liked it as a kid and liked Roger Zelazny novels and an early Gaian novel whose name escapes me now. But I just don't really enjoy them somehow. It is me, not them. I know this is well done and appreciate it but it is just not for me. 

• Love 1

To add another two cents: I never read comics (well, Archie, some ages ago) and while I've watched a handful of the current glut of superhero movies -- and I like a few of the X-men films -- I don't like that they've been so dominant lately. I don't watch the TV superhero shows (nor the current Archie adaptation). But I love this show, even though I don't know the background or anything to expect. A lot of it is visual appeal as well as the absolute trippiness. There are a few shows now that are way outside the norm, and I love that.

Another one I enjoyed recently was Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency -- again, I had no knowledge of background or other iterations (book or adaptations); it was just a crazy ride. The other is Taboo, which, while wholly different in nature from those other two, also has a very different way of telling a story. I guess that's the main attraction. No rules. No formulaic anything. Trusting that the audience will follow along. Not everything will work, and the trippiness is not inherently better; it's just different. That's appealing. Of course, different for the sake of being different will fall flat. It's just a matter of opinion where that occurs.

On topic -- Sometimes, Brits doing American accents have trouble with accurate vowel sounds, and it really sticks out. With Dan Stevens, the British accent showing up really threw me. So, good job (I didn't mind that it was a bit of a stunt). I liked that classroom scene. I liked the: "Here's how we got here and where here is" sort of validation though none of it was overly surprising. Love Jemaine Clement as Oliver - what a great portrayal. Jean Smart, trying not to react to her husband forgetting her, was moving. Felt like so much under the surface - even more than simple hurt.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I watched because after watching Downton Abbey, I wanted to see if Dan Stevens could really act.  He can.  His parts in this are good.  Everyone is good.  It just isn't worth the sum of the parts.  It was cool to see the guy from Dark Shadows after all these years....

Who was the guy from Dark Shadows?

So many great scenes:

-Lenny threatening Syd and Kerry in silent-movie villain fashion, and killing The Eye in a pretty brutal way

-David using his real British accent to explain things to American David, complete with chalkboard exposition, and "American" David doing a Patrick Stewart imitation (causing British David to make fun of his British accent!) So many meta things happening here.

-Melanie finally seeing Oliver after 21 years

-David finally controlling his powers to break out

-Oliver putting his hands up at gunpoint, then taking another sip of his martini before putting his hands up again, cracked me up. Jemaine is awesome as Oliver.

Edited by KaleyFirefly
  • Love 9
On 3/24/2017 at 0:08 AM, thuganomics85 said:

I still can't believe April from Parks & Recs has become one of my favorite comic villains of all time.

I knew this the whole time, of course; but it is something to actually see, and contemplate, that sentence.  She was a great deadpan character on that show, but never gave any indication she could be such a great, hammy villain.  I also liked her a lot in the indie movie Safety Not Guaranteed, but again it seemed there like even more confirmation that she had a limited range.  Nope!

• Love 5

Saw the episode today. Like the chalkboard sequence, especially how "on-point" David's dad looked.

Liked the bits with the glasses. Very They Live, and a good way to get out of a zombie horde.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

I thought the episode was a bit too expository towards the beginning, with the revelations about Farouk. For all that they'd been dropping vague hints, it was jarring that they went full steam ahead with it.

Me, too. It was like they didn't trust the audience to piece things together. Perhaps notes from the network bosses?

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, meep.meep said:

David Selkirk  who played Quentin Collins on Dark Shadows

David Selby, and yes, the Heathcliff like Quentin from Dark Shadows.

I gave up on this series at episode 3 but at the urging of the millennial who turned me on to the show in the first place, I returned and gave it a second chance.

The show is still too much head games for my taste, but that silent movie bit was one of the most creative things I've seen on TV in a long time.   Just fantastic.

I think if I looked up the word "lovely" in the dictionary, Jean Smart's picture would be there.   Charm, grace, and beauty.  What an inspired bit of casting.

• Love 2

"If you're not the monster, then-"
"I'm you. Your rational mind. You're having a breakdown; stress response. Your power is kicking in to save you. It created me. You did."
"And you're... British?"
"Like I said, I'm your rational mind."

I've been enjoying this show, but that exchange was the first laugh-out-loud moment for me.

I've always enjoyed Aubrey Plaza, the beautiful weirdo, and she's amazing here. Is it bad that I almost want the Shadow King to win so she can stick around for season two?

• Love 4