Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: James K's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

James K. used pidgin English when describing Chinese food.  Such mocking behavior of a presumed accent is racist.  Please do not perpetuate his use of that language. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Why were James' legs so far apart, like an inflatable dinner turkey? What I would have given to see those firemen or EMTs, "on the count of three, now," shove his legs together in an instant. I would have delighted in the scream!

And those double-negatives. Where's Dr. Kervorkian when you need him?
Oh, and ladies of a certain socio-economic level: unnatural splotches of coloring in one's hair decreases one's credibility.

Probably to avoid the pain of his catheter.  And after all, this manchild can't be bothered with a any pain at all. 

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

I had to chuckle at Dr. Now making his Houston to KY house call while wearing his lab coat and stethoscope in the car. 

He didn't do that.  He made a house call, but they never moved back to Kentucky.  I assume Lisa and James' daughter will soon.  You know, for the imminent funeral.

• Love 4

Grossest episode ever.  I hope I don't have nightmares and I only watched 15 minutes.  I had to come here to read how it ended as I could not watch the end.  Bless you folks that did.

• Love 4
On 3/15/2017 at 9:54 PM, Dianaofthehunt said:

Why were James' legs so far apart, like an inflatable dinner turkey? 
Oh, and ladies of a certain socio-economic level: unnatural splotches of coloring in one's hair decreases one's credibility.

He had a bunch of fat in between. There was another guy, maybe 7 yrs ago (he was shown being visited by Henry Foote) who had the same problem. At what point do you say, I better stop eating; it's getting hard to close my legs? Found the guy: http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/lifestyle/top-10-heaviest-people-ever/  Scroll down to Kenneth Brumley.

Re the hair - I wondered what that was! At first I thought it was color, but then I told myself no one would do that to themselves, especially at that age, then I thought it was the light, but no...it's color, huh?  Bad choice.

It's been a great night people. I'm up at dawn tomorrow for eye surgery at 6 am. I hope the doctor is awake. I can't be too sedated for this surgery, so I'll be thinking of James to take my mind off of what's going on in my eye. 

Edited by aliya
add'l info
  • Love 10

Don't ask me why, but I'm watching this again...   Those legs make me want to vomit!!!   How can one feel sorry for someone who let's themselves go like this????

Edited by SandyQ
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, SandyQ said:

Don't ask me why, but I'm watching this again...   Those legs make me want to vomit!!!   How can one feel sorry for someone who let's themselves go like this????

Me, too, SandyQ. I guess we're gluttons for punishment. 

I do like how Dr. Now never yells at the children, even when they are grown. He always zeroes in on the parents and/or partner.

• Love 10

Let's pretend a person doesn't have any sense of smell. Let's also pretend that this person takes a sharp scalpel point to each of those blisters on James' legs, allowing them to ooze, spurt, or dribble 'n drain. Would that have relieved the cellulitis on his legs? Or would an alpha-hydroxy peel have done the job?
Sincerely curious.

Edited by Dianaofthehunt
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Let's pretend a person doesn't have any sense of smell. Let's also pretend that this person takes a sharp scalpel point to each of those blisters on James' legs, allowing them to ooze, spurt, or dribble 'n drain. Would that have relieved the cellulitis on his legs? Or would an alpha-hydroxy peel have done the job?
Sincerely curious.

I don't know but I really like the idea of taking a scalpel to those blisters...

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

Me, too, SandyQ. I guess we're gluttons for punishment. 

I do like how Dr. Now never yells at the children, even when they are grown. He always zeroes in on the parents and/or partner.

I missed it the first time Dr. Now yells at him.  I'm REALLY looking forward to it now lmao

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Sincerely curious.

Since it's a bacterial infection, I think draining them might make it spread. You've got to get the infection under control first. My understanding is once you get cellulitis, it's easier to keep getting it.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Where did she go, anyway? He ate her, didn't he? We'll miss you Bailey.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thanks, I needed that. 

Anyone remember one of the early episodes of South Park and Cartman's, "Ow, my ass!" ...? After awhile that's all I could hear.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Rewatching this, I wonder if the insurance denied him because he's tried and failed at a weight loss program before. I'm sure it was just them being greedy, but seeing how so many people sacrificed for him to squander it all just irks my spirit.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

Child.....

Why is it when a reality television show comes to my state they find people like this? I mean, Jesus fucking yellow penguins, WTH.

I've been to Paducah, it's a lovely town, this is not a representation.

"Just cover it in gravy", I kind of want this on a t-shirt.

I'm a bitch, but I laughed when no one donated to their online fundraising campaign.

His poor Dad, he has a stroke, then refinances his house for Stay Puft, poor guy. Where's his Gofundme?

"Is everyone clear on what we're doing?" Place shit in moving truck, got it.

Wait, did his daughter say they took her out of school to care for his? What? How? Why? That poor girl.

Where did she go, anyway? He ate her, didn't he? We'll miss you Bailey.

"Oww" Do I need a ticket to get on the bus for hell, or do I just hop on because I laughed everytime.

How the hell do you gain a human? I mean, shit, he gained my husband.

I'm sorry, but just roll this guy into the cornfield and say peace, he doesn't want nor deserve help because he won't help himself, he knows what to do, he knows that what he's doing is killing him, but him and his girlfriend just don't get it. I've never seen Dr. Now just up and quit a bitch but he threw deuces, damn.

"I only cheated a couple times"  What part of "diet" do these idiots not understand? THERE. IS. NO. CHEATING.

I just have no sympathy for him. The bullshit excuse of not being able to grocery shop because they can't afford a cab was just that, bullshit, a cab trip a week to stock up on groceries would be cheaper than Chinese takeout everyday. I really dislike this guy, I mean like really hate him. He spends ten days in the hospital because of heart failure then orders Chinese takeout. "I don't know what we doin" wrong" said after she fed the man cheesecake and Chinese food.  I can't believe he tried to turn it back on Dr. Now and had the balls to say that Dr. Now didn't help him, I'm glad Dr. Now told him about himself.

Yasssssss! This is everything I was afraid was too snarky to say. (New poster--still testing the waters.)

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Ivylady said:

Rewatching this, I wonder if the insurance denied him because he's tried and failed at a weight loss program before. I'm sure it was just them being greedy, but seeing how so many people sacrificed for him to squander it all just irks my spirit.

You're probably right,  although I don't think this guy has ever really tried to lose weight,  but I'm sure he tells people he has.  Oh the pity party

• Love 3

I'm just starting to watch this episode as I had to catch "Major Crimes" earlier.  

Right off the bat, I can't get past James' legs.  No way could I wash them much less clean his bottom and deal with a catheter.  I now know why I'm single......  :D

Spoiler

• Love 6

Why don't the enablers lose weight at the same time? Many of them are obese.

I can no longer air my petty grievances about my job after seeing all of those people move James in and out of the van. The experience did provide them with a riveting answer to, "How was work today, Dear?"

• Love 13

Out of intense curiosity, I googled "cellulitis in obese patients" to see the images. They all paled in comparison to what we saw tonight. I imagine the cellulitis must really smell right, because it's an infection?

He's an incredibly selfish person, making two women slave over him like that, and one being a young daughter.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

Since it's a bacterial infection, I think draining them might make it spread. You've got to get the infection under control first. My understanding is once you get cellulitis, it's easier to keep getting it.

I've had cellulitis. I actually got it from a cat scratch. Apparently, cat scratch fever is a real thing and not just a song! :-) And yes, you can't just scrape them and let them drain. As an infection, you risk spreading it and getting it on other people. 

OMG this guy. I hate to see my state represented like this. Tech. All the yelling and screaming and whining...I couldn't take it. In fact, that was worse than the cellulitis to me. 

With that being said, couldn't they have doped him up for the ride down to Houston? It probably would have made the ride more peaceful. I've been transported from one city to the other many times (not because I am 600 pounds but because my organs rupture regularly and it's not something my local hospital can handle). They always give me pain relievers and at least some Valium for the trip, just to make my ride easier. It IS very uncomfortable in the back of the ambulance. 

Still, the EMTs were the MVPs of this episode. I am constantly amazed at how respectful they are. One will usually ride in the back with me and I always feel like I have to entertain him to make up for the fact that he has to be back there for hours at a time. Luckily, I am hilarious on morphine. 

Can't believe they took the poor girl out of school to take care of him. I hope she ran away from home while he was in Houston. 

• Love 19

He could do over eaters anonymous and the 12 step program on line. It would appear he has a food addiction (no really) so he could work the program. BUT, you have to be willing to go to any lengths to get sober, change your eating habits etc. You also have to have the capacity to be honest so not sure what his chances are.The AA program has worked for me for 19 years because I was willing to go to any lengths. Unless the enabling stops, I'm afraid he is a dead man in bed.

• Love 17

Where the hell is James and Lisa's son?! Who's raising him? Her ex (or estranged?) husband?!

And I just loved that James' dad left his mother for a woman named Lolita! This episode was gold, people -- just fucking gold. (So good that I'm also rematching it now, too.)

I thought the lumps on James' leg looked like whatever disease TLC-medical-oddity Tree Man had. 

I did feel for Lisa who looked like she's had a really rough life. I think at one point she basically admitted that she was afraid if James lost weight he wouldn't need her anymore. No worries on that, Lisa. James is never going to lose any weight despite all the "trying" he does. 

7 minutes ago, hoosiermom said:

He could do over eaters anonymous and the 12 step program on line. It would appear he has a food addiction (no really) so he could work the program. BUT, you have to be willing to go to any lengths to get sober, change your eating habits etc. You also have to have the capacity to be honest so not sure what his chances are.The AA program has worked for me for 19 years because I was willing to go to any lengths. Unless the enabling stops, I'm afraid he is a dead man in bed.

Step 1.  Admit that you're powerless.   Don't think this dude would do that, he enjoys his food too much

Edited by SandyQ
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I did feel for Lisa who looked like she's had a really rough life. I think at one point she basically admitted that she was afraid if James lost weight he wouldn't need her anymore. No worries on that, Lisa. James is never going to lose any weight despite all the "trying" he does. 

I thought she was saying she felt like if he was ever able to walk again, SHE would be out the door. 

I feel bad for Lisa, and especially Bailey/Bayley. I know what it's like to feel trapped caring for a family member and seeing no way to walk away and still sleep at night. No one as bad as James, you understand. I could walk away from James and sleep like a baby. 

The "good" news for Lisa and Bailey/Bayley is that they shouldn't be trapped much longer. I fully expected the episode to end on a black screen announcing James had passed away shortly after filming ended. 

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 18

"I just hope that I can do this " regarding the trip.  Are you kidding me????   You're NOT doing a damn thing except laying there taking up room and wasting your poor father's money!

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

With that being said, couldn't they have doped him up for the ride down to Houston? It probably would have made the ride more peaceful. I've been transported from one city to the other many times (not because I am 600 pounds but because my organs rupture regularly and it's not something my local hospital can handle). They always give me pain relievers and at least some Valium for the trip, just to make my ride easier. It IS very uncomfortable in the back of the ambulance.

I imagine the EMTs were reluctant to give him anything at his size. Considering his CHF, that's probably a smart move.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

I imagine the EMTs were reluctant to give him anything at his size. Considering his CHF, that's probably a smart move.

They can do it, and they do. It can actually be safer since, with his heart, the extra stress of the trip can be dangerous. Don't get me wrong, I think he was a big cry baby and I think they should have just left him at home and taken the refinancing money and gone on a big family vacation without him. My guess is that the EMTs were hired as medical drivers and not as medical caregivers. There's a big difference there. In the former, they would not be allowed to administer medication to him. 

My husband is currently an EMT. He transports people out of state daily. They are independent contractors, however, and can be hired privately. I think that is what James' family did. They hired them for the transport and to act in a limited capacity-monitor his heart rate, blood pressure, etc. But they're not actually prescribing doctors. The family may or may not have had a doctor on the Kentucky end to oversee the transport. Dr. Now would not be allowed to do anything until he officially became a patient of his in Texas. When I am transported I always have two doctors, one on each side of the state line. They must coordinate the care. The EMTs are the middle men. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Michael Stabosz said:

Dr. Now really let him have it at that first admission (and the other ones).  But I've never seen him this angry at the first visit.

I'm sure Dr Now was pissed.  He had told them to follow the 1200 calorie diet when they first  skyped 4 months ago & they didn't do it.  Not to mention Dr Now seemed to be the only one that realized how bad his health was. 

Why couldn't they put a Tshirt on him?  At least it was better when he had the gown on. 

At least Penny & the others were able to sit up & do things while being bed ridden. (Not condoning, just saying).  But he was in a semi reclined position the whole time. No wonder it was a big deal for him to sit on the side of the bed. 

Why don't any of these people own a kitchen table?  Is that a prerequisite for the show?  I can't imagine having to juggle my plate while sitting on the couch for each meal. It's bad enough when you have to do it at a party.

• Love 8

I'm not sure I feel sorry for Lisa.  I think she enjoys playing the put-upon saint who sacrifices her whole life.  She chose to help make him fatter.  I got a Munchasen vibe off her.  And when he dies, she'll get to play the bereaved widow.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Dharma said:

Wow, after all he has been through AND CHF to see him eating this crappy food. He clearly does not get it, nor does his girlfriend. He is the most annoying I have seen on this show, even more than Pauline.

"He's not sticking to his diet"....????  No, you're not sticking to his diet. He can't do anything, one way or  another. 

Though I do feel for her. She is clearly limited and broken. 

• Love 12

James ate Chinese Food!!!!  The legs are looking worse!  Lisa had to make a pallet on the floor if he needed her to clean his mess!

This lump needs more help than my 100 year old, slightly demented Mother!

Lisa, you now have care taking skills and you might be able to find a job in a nursing home.  Whatever, you need to leave that person because he's sucking the life out of you!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

Would that have relieved the cellulitis on his legs? Or would an alpha-hydroxy peel have done the job?
Sincerely curious.

You have to have intravenous antibacterial meds to get rid of the cellulitis or very, very strong antibacterial meds in pill form. 

I've been there and done both.

1 hour ago, Ivylady said:

It is. I've had it 3 times in the last 7 years. The worst time put me in the hospital for 6 months.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

He weighed 843 later. I still think he must have weighed more than 735 at the beginning. 

I wonder how much fluid he's retaining, especially with CHF. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pepperminty said:

Out of intense curiosity, I googled "cellulitis in obese patients" to see the images. They all paled in comparison to what we saw tonight. I imagine the cellulitis must really smell right, because it's an infection?

When my cellulitis was really bad I never noticed any smell coming from it. I even asked the nurses (who had to hold up that one leg when I was being washed) if it smelled and they all told me it didn't. Of course I was on antibacterial meds given intravenously 4 times a day so maybe that was why mine never smelled.

54 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Apparently the ooze from cellulitis can smell very bad.

Mine never smelled.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Michael Stabosz said:

1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I had to chuckle at Dr. Now making his Houston to KY house call while wearing his lab coat and stethoscope in the car. 

He didn't do that.  He made a house call, but they never moved back to Kentucky.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll admit that was the point where I turned on the episode so I didn't realize they were still in the Houston area. But anyway, Dr. Now was driving around in his Doctor Gear. I also didn't realize that Lisa wasn't his mother until I read this forum! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4