Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Maddie Code

I saw the twist coming as soon as ex-buffoon #1 went through the metal detector.  Nice twist but it kind of turns this into The Catch, but I'm content to see where it goes.

As a side note, I love actress who plays the main character, Maddie/Saffron.   She played a small part the last season of Sons of Anarchy that she was good in as well.  Just took me awhile before I figured out where I remembered her from.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Really? I didn't. lol. Guess that I am gullible. Really liking this show, but can't see this being more than 1 season. What can they do beyond one season? 

At this point I'm thinking expect the unexpected? That being said, I don't know how they will maintain the original concept of the series- moving forward, what comes to mind is a soap opera genre something along the lines of Luke and Laura.

For all I know the writer's are brilliant and have us just where they want us!  

Edited by druzy
  • Love 3

This has become must-see television for me. I watch the heavy drama The Americans then follow-up with light-hearted fun Imposters. So, because I have this affect on television shows, I was very sad to see that tonight and next weeks episodes were two hours long. I thought for sure that Bravo decided to burn off the episodes. Fortunately, some Real Housewives of somewhere was the second hour, and I don't watch those (hence the reason they continuously add new cities and play the franchises non-stop) so I was relieved that this show isn't being burned off.

I saw Patrick being a plant coming from almost the time he was introduced, so I wasn't surprised when Richard followed him and figured it out. I was less sure if he was going to be law enforcement or a rival kingpin, but knew he wasn't going to be the mark The Doctor expected. The sex confused me a bit, so I was thinking rival, but FBI works, too. I'm also glad that they didn't drag out the exes finding and approaching YoSaffBridge. It took six episodes, but didn't feel rushed or unnecessarily dragged out. The pacing was good as far as that went.

I'm going to continue to hope for some Leverage-type of business to form that keeps the show going for a while. 

• Love 9

Me too on the must see, Christina. Except I am even worse: first I cry through This is Us, then sit frozen forward the whole way through those tense episodes of The Americans and finally, finally, get to laugh with The Imposters. 

I am confident there has to be some superior masterplan to keep this thing going. I just don't see Uma Thurman showing up to threaten Maddie that she will stay until everything has worked out to the Doctor's satisfaction if there weren't some cool scenes ahead for her. Why would she visit this slightly noir caper unless her part is stellar? That's what I am hanging my hopes on, Uma's good taste, and also I want to see her dance with any one of the Imposters. Maybe at a diner.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

So, good episode, but one thing really bugs me...where did Saffron have her Alice wig stashed in Patrick's house?

I'm pretty sure Richard shoved it in a bag to her hands when he asked for his "one on one" time.

• Love 3

Yeah, Richard shoved the bag at her when he asked to meet her privately for "closure".

I only thought for sure they were going to reveal a Patrick twist while watching this episode but I also wasn't expecting the family as part of the reveal. I thought showing the sister, then the mom and closing with Richard standing on the FBI seal was nicely done.

Initially a show like this (no mater how well-executed) might seem to paint itself into a corner with the premise. But I think we're seeing some good stuff here in how the relationships are building, which may make it a more interesting show to watch down the line.  

• Love 6

I like that Patrick is FBI rather than being an unsuspecting mark. However, what bothered me is that his "aunt" is also FBI, yet at the barbecue in a previous episode the "aunt" acted openly suspicious of Maddie. If you're an FBI agent, why the heck would you let the con woman know you're suspicious of her?

Did anyone else think that Patrick's "sister" was hitting on the woman ex at the birthday party (when she told the ex she smelled good)? So the FBI assumes the exes are part of the con team and thus are buddying up to them? 

I'm really enjoying this show. Agree that it has become must-see tv.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Michichick said:

I like that Patrick is FBI rather than being an unsuspecting mark. However, what bothered me is that his "aunt" is also FBI, yet at the barbecue in a previous episode the "aunt" acted openly suspicious of Maddie. If you're an FBI agent, why the heck would you let the con woman know you're suspicious of her?

Did anyone else think that Patrick's "sister" was hitting on the woman ex at the birthday party (when she told the ex she smelled good)? So the FBI assumes the exes are part of the con team and thus are buddying up to them? 

I'm really enjoying this show. Agree that it has become must-see tv.

Re: the aunt - I think the writers threw in the aunt's reaction at the bar-b-que to throw Maddie off track.  Would anyone think she was FBI after the protective way she acted towards Patrick?

Re: the "sister" - yep, sure looked like a hit-on to me, shoulders touching an all.

Edited by Evagirl
typo
  • Love 7

I completely adore this show. I love the characters, the acting, the plot and all of it, and every episode has intrigued me. I have a few questions from this episode, though. How did the trio know Maddie was going by the name "Saffron?" If they explained it, I missed it. Did Patrick call her that when they spied on him and Maddie?

As to Patrick and his family being FBI, I did not see that particular twist coming. So they are not family, just a team of agents working together to bring down the Dr and his group of cons. I can see why the "sister" would approach Jules the way she did at the bar, if she knows Jules is a lesbian and therefore thought she would use that as a conduit. However, for Patrick to sleep with Maddie seems too far and probably illegal. I agree with the poster who said that the "aunt" shouldn't have revealed her suspicions. What are the chances that they are actually a family, all work for the FBI, and are NOT involved in a case against Maddie? None?

• Love 3

Do FBI agents doing a sting just waltz into a field office in the daytime where anyone can see them.

I find that as plausible as the Doctor doing such a poor job of research on Patrick.

I still love the show. 

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, molshoop said:

Do FBI agents doing a sting just waltz into a field office in the daytime where anyone can see them.

Good catch!

We're used to seeing TV show undercover operatives do all kinds of things they shouldn't, from shooting heroin to being accessory to murder, so the sexy time didn't faze me.

I'm not sure how I'll feel if Maddie gets betrayed/caught in the sting/arrested. She's an appealing character, but I root both for and against her at different times.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Arkay said:

How did the trio know Maddie was going by the name "Saffron?" 

When Jules was at the bakery trailing the "sister", she saw it written on the birthday cake and texted it to the others.

I too am wondering about the "aunt" being so openly suspicious at that barbecue. It was so early that it seems like it could've scared Maddie off, if they thought she was targeting Patrick as a mark. Of course, if they thought she was not targeting/just falling for him, then maybe it makes more sense. If everyone had immediately embraced her, perhaps THAT would have been too suspicious. IDK. It does sort of feel like the writers decided to make them FBI AFTER they figured out the barbecue scene.

I'm wondering why Maddie trusts Max so much. Does she know he delivered Sally to Lenny?

• Love 4

I love this show. I am no Uma Thurman fan, but damn, I love that Lenny Cohen. She's a bad arse.

I have a love hate relationship with Maddie/Saffron/Alice/whoever she is for the day. I hate how she irrevocably destroys these people in less than 30 days and feels nothing in the aftermath, but I feel bad for her because there doesn't seem to be an out other than blood out. And it sucks that for the first time, she seems to have found someone she really likes/loves, but he's in the FBI and conning her. It will be interesting to see how she copes with being the one who is hurt.

I'm kind of glad Patrick is not just another unsuspecting Mark. I really like him, and I love his house. The "aunt" being suspicious really didn't surprise me. She struck me as the typical protective aunt. Maddie is slipping on her game. This dude is whisking her away, introducing her to his family after a few days/couple of weeks, and he's too good to be true. Yet, she's not the least bit suspicious.

• Love 8

I love this show but would enjoy it a lot more if it had been on Netflix.  This is a perfect show for binge-watching an entire season.

I think I'll Tivo the rest of the episodes and watch them all back-to-back once all of this season has aired.

Agree with thse upthread who have said they don't know where the show goes in Season 2.

Cute, fun show.  I've enjoyed every episode.  Hope we find out Sally somehow survied.

• Love 4

I love this show so much.  I am so glad I caught the marathon a couple Saturdays ago otherwise I would have missed this gem.

Wasn't too surprised to find out that Patrick wasn't who he said, it was too convenient how they met, but was surprised about sister & aunt.  I agree too that Patrick and family waltzing into the FBI office in broad daylight (he even parked right in front!) wasn't the best way to reveal his real intentions.  Maddie and her fellow Imposters have pulled off some complex scams, wasn't he in the least worried that they would see him?  Unless FBI has them under surveillance 24/7 and knew they were safe?  I do wonder though if they will revisit Heller's death.  I would think FBI would be investigating since he was committing bank fraud and disappeared and Saffron/Maddie was his new employee.

I have a feeling that the 3 exes will end up joining forces with Maddie/Max and all end up working for the Dr, then you have at least a season 2 if not beyond.  Or, Patrick and Maddie fall in love for real and he recruits her to work with him as they try to infiltrate the Doctor's organization and find out who he is.  I see endless possibilities for more seasons. Not to mention you could have full-season scams they pull. 

I too hope we find out Sally is ok as I really liked her but we didn't get to know her.  Max shocked me when he snitched on her to Lenny Cohen.

I think Maddie had feelings for Ezra as opposed to the other two....I actually don't think she likes Jules all that much (neither do I)..because she left the anklet on all that time when all she had to do was break it to get it off, and also the way she looked at it when Patrick took it off of her. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Cupcake04 said:

I think Maddie had feelings for Ezra as opposed to the other two....I actually don't think she likes Jules all that much (neither do I)..because she left the anklet on all that time when all she had to do was break it to get it off, and also the way she looked at it when Patrick took it off of her. 

I agree. And let's face it, Ezra is inherently much more likable that the other two. I like your ideas of directions this could go!

• Love 8

I am shocked that Maddie bought Patrick's con (I bought it too, but I am not a con artist).  She is supposed to be good at her job, yet is taken by some Fed? 

Or is she so conceited that she thinks that all men want her?  I mean, she didn't for once think Patrick was too good to be true?

• Love 8

I thought their one-on-one scene also hinted she had real feelings for Richard. Yes, she said the tears were just an act, but IDK...I think there was genuine emotion there. I imagine in a future episode there'll also be a scene between her and Jules with some real emotion. 

I'm interested to find out how Maddie got caught up in this life. She looked genuinely unsettled when Ezra mentioned "their dad's memory slipping back in Pottsville."

I hope Sally returns as well!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

I have a feeling that the 3 exes will end up joining forces with Maddie/Max and all end up working for the Dr, then you have at least a season 2 if not beyond.

I've been having the same thought. If it goes in this direction, I'm out. Their petty crimes bugged me already without having all three of them suddenly go full-blown criminal.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

I have a feeling that the 3 exes will end up joining forces with Maddie/Max and all end up working for the Dr, then you have at least a season 2 if not beyond. 

That could be an interesting show, but I'd only be on board if they were being coerced/blackmailed into doing it and were also trying to be double agents against the Doc. Can they really trust Maddie, Max, or each other? Etc.

• Love 3

A fun show with lots of surprising (and some not so surprising) twists.  However, learning that Patrick and his "family" are undercover agents, as a taxpayer, I think I object to the "Burrow" blowing thousands of dollars on the unnecessary fireworks show.

• Love 9
On 3/15/2017 at 3:00 AM, Christina said:

This has become must-see television for me. I watch the heavy drama The Americans then follow-up with light-hearted fun Imposters. So, because I have this affect on television shows, I was very sad to see that tonight and next weeks episodes were two hours long. I thought for sure that Bravo decided to burn off the episodes. Fortunately, some Real Housewives of somewhere was the second hour, and I don't watch those (hence the reason they continuously add new cities and play the franchises non-stop) so I was relieved that this show isn't being burned off.

I saw Patrick being a plant coming from almost the time he was introduced, so I wasn't surprised when Richard followed him and figured it out. I was less sure if he was going to be law enforcement or a rival kingpin, but knew he wasn't going to be the mark The Doctor expected. The sex confused me a bit, so I was thinking rival, but FBI works, too. I'm also glad that they didn't drag out the exes finding and approaching YoSaffBridge. It took six episodes, but didn't feel rushed or unnecessarily dragged out. The pacing was good as far as that went.

I'm going to continue to hope for some Leverage-type of business to form that keeps the show going for a while. 

Me too!!!  I wish that the Americans were still on Wednesdays!!  I watch RHoBH then The Americans but want to watch Imposters too!!  The only saving grace is that we can watch Imposters online or on demand unlike the Americans! 

I am surprised that Patrick is in the the FBI but glad as not only does Maddie steal money, she steals their heart too.  She is the worst of the worst.  I thought that was a real spark with Ezra and I guess with Rich too since she shed a tear.  She yelled at Jules in a cold way so maybe she didn't truly ever like her.  I don't particularly like Jules either and don't get why they wrote her this way.  Is it because she's an "artist" so she's emo-like and moody??  She could play a much more pleasant person and the show would still be the same.  I want to know her secret!!  Maybe that is where her angst is from. 

Surprised that Max turned on Sally like that!  I am assuming that she's dead.

Oh, for the person who said Patrick sleeping with Maddie could be illegal, the US has used spies to "honey trap" foreigners to gather intel so the US Gov't does ok sex with a mark for the greater good.  Also, the FBI has infiltrated the Mafia, Aryan Brotherhood and other horrible organizations to bring them down and even though it's all technically between US citizens, I think that they could sanction sex to be used for the greater good here too.  

• Love 1

When I watched this episode, I didn't take it as Patrick was in on who Saffron/Maddie and Max really were and he was trying to take them and the Doctor down, but that the Doctor chose him because he was in the FBI and was maybe trying to infiltrate the agency...either way, I'm loving this show!

• Love 2

But the "role" Patrick is playing for Saffron is that he's a temporarily retired dot-com wealthy guy, so he's definitely lying to Saffron about his profession. So it seems to me that he's playing her rather than the other way around.

• Love 2

FBI is on to the Doctor, very cool.

The weirdest thing to me about this episode was the fuss Patrick made over Saffron throughout the party. How do you make speeches about her being amazing, an amazing woman, a life-changingly amazing woman when you've known her two weeks? Wouldn't that in itself make Max or Maddie suspicious?

Surprised there isn't more media coverage of this show. It's really good!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ECE said:

When I watched this episode, I didn't take it as Patrick was in on who Saffron/Maddie and Max really were and he was trying to take them and the Doctor down, but that the Doctor chose him because he was in the FBI and was maybe trying to infiltrate the agency...either way, I'm loving this show!

As in a spying operation?  No way.  Nothing about the show gives spy vibes- national or international.   If the Doctor wanted to infiltrate the FBI, there are far easier ways especially with today's technology to do it. 

I watch The Americans set in the 80's and the USSR infiltrated the FBI by honey trapping an important secretary who planted a recording pen, stole documents and complained to her "husband" about her day.  Ingeniously, they also put a recorder on a mail delivery robot that went everywhere and all of this was accomplished in the Counterintelligence Office in DC.   

The Doctor and his team want $$$ fast and it appears that each relationship including dating, marriage and leaving is only 3-6 months but real infiltrating and/or spying is painfully slow and takes years for the payoff, if it happens at all. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, rejnel said:

FBI is on to the Doctor, very cool.

The weirdest thing to me about this episode was the fuss Patrick made over Saffron throughout the party. How do you make speeches about her being amazing, an amazing woman, a life-changingly amazing woman when you've known her two weeks? Wouldn't that in itself make Max or Maddie suspicious?

Surprised there isn't more media coverage of this show. It's really good!

I don't think that Max, Maddie or Sally are that bright when it comes down to it and clearly not intuitive or they would have figured it out. I guess neither are the Doctor or Lenny Cohen as they aren't surveilling Patrick- who's not not even undercover!!     

• Love 2

I also thought it was sloppy of the doctor and the rest of them not to have known Patrick and his pretend family were in the FBI. Makes me think they DO know about him being in the FBI and a twist will come with that knowledge.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2017 at 11:10 PM, PumpkinPK said:

Hope we find out Sally somehow survied.

I'm thinking since we didn't see a death scene or d.b. Sally will be returning. Since Maddie didn't let Lenny know she helped Sally get out of the house maybe that will come into play?

• Love 2
On 3/17/2017 at 1:44 PM, hoosiermom said:

I also thought it was sloppy of the doctor and the rest of them not to have known Patrick and his pretend family were in the FBI. Makes me think they DO know about him being in the FBI and a twist will come with that knowledge.

I'm thinking of another twist.  Maybe that wasn't really the FBI?  Because if it were, the FBI should know about the trio of victims.  The agents would have recognized them and would not have been tailed so easily.  There have been so many twists so far, it could be anything.  I'm enjoying it,  one way or the other.

• Love 3
On March 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM, molshoop said:

I find that as plausible as the Doctor doing such a poor job of research on Patrick.

I still love the show. 

I was thinking the same thing. Did the sister or aunt say what they did for a living? I can't remember. I'm so glad I found this show on Netflix, though! 

I also wish that there wasn't a "doctor" though. I don't like evil overlord-type stories. I would have preferred that they were just a team of scammers. 

• Love 3
On 3/15/2017 at 8:10 PM, PumpkinPK said:

I love this show but would enjoy it a lot more if it had been on Netflix.  This is a perfect show for binge-watching an entire season.

{I'm watching a few episodes a night on Netflix and it does work well in a semi-binge,)

On 3/14/2017 at 9:49 PM, SuzieQ said:

As a side note, I love actress who plays the main character, Maddie/Saffron.   She played a small part the last season of Sons of Anarchy that she was good in as well.  Just took me awhile before I figured out where I remembered her from.

That seems appropriate, no?

On 3/15/2017 at 1:29 AM, albaniantv said:

I just don't see Uma Thurman showing up to threaten Maddie that she will stay until everything has worked out to the Doctor's satisfaction if there weren't some cool scenes ahead for her. Why would she visit this slightly noir caper unless her part is stellar?

I dunno -- just what she's done so far has been stellar.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:15 PM, Jillybean said:

I've been having the same thought. If it goes in this direction, I'm out. Their petty crimes bugged me already without having all three of them suddenly go full-blown criminal.

Plus, the Doctor is flat-out evil.  I don't want our Merry Bumblers working for him at all.