Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Odd Couples

Okay, that preview looks funny, and an interesting challenge.  I think at this point I've decided I really like these two-week sets, where week 1 is 2 days and more "foundation challenge" while the elimination week/challenge is 3 days but with two models.  This one definitely seems like it's right in Cig & George's wheelhouse since funny/whimsy/comical is pretty much their forte; I think they'll have something better than oh, say, Adam doing a piss-poor cliche New Jersey mob guy voice for a long, uncomfortable minute before Glenn finally stops him. :)

I'm curious how they'll do any sculpting and molding beyond the head/cowl piece when it's a saggy fat suit; they won't have a shape on which to mold, or necessarily even proper proportions for a fitted costume (well, unless they get to keep the fat suits to drape over the base body shape).

I'm trying to do the math and I've only been left with one conclusion....the teams have to be going to singles soon, right? Unless we are getting a much more abbreviated season. On one hand I'm happy for people like Melissa who I believe is being held back but on the other hand I have really come to love seeing what Tyler and Emily come up with. They work together so extraordinarily well I think they should consider collaborating outside the show.

• Love 3
On 3/12/2017 at 10:56 AM, Lovely said:

I'm trying to do the math and I've only been left with one conclusion....the teams have to be going to singles soon, right? Unless we are getting a much more abbreviated season. On one hand I'm happy for people like Melissa who I believe is being held back but on the other hand I have really come to love seeing what Tyler and Emily come up with. They work together so extraordinarily well I think they should consider collaborating outside the show.

I was asking that very question a few weeks ago, here.  I've not seen information about the exact episode count this season, and I've seen no indication at all that they will split up the teams, not even a hint of it.  The math as I see it is:

• Stay on teams, top 3 teams with two-week finale: 4 more episodes after 11.08
  • Split to singles at top 4 teams, top 3 people in two-week finale: 7 more episodes after 11.08
  • Split to singles at top 3 teams, top 3 people in two-week finale: 7 more episodes after 11.08

So I figure if they stay on teams- which now seems to be the case- they have 4 more episodes barring a non-elimination/double-elimination/single-week finale.  If they split at singles for either top 8 or top 6, it adds 3 episodes to the total count.  My guess is they'll stay on teams, do the two-week finale, and the members of the winning team will each get the prizes (the cash, car, and whatever Kryolan stuff is offered).

• Love 1

I didn't mind the winning look but also liked Emily's and Tyler's. The model really sold it - Megan? Good bye Blue Girls. The purple 'fairy' with the eyebrows was a Huh/WTF moment. Nothing about her resembled a fairy - unless it is the previously unknown Purple Wrinkled Fairy. Ben and Co. managed a save this week. I did like the padded body suits - it gave the Facetestants a more normal body size to work with instead of perfectly shaped models.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

he purple 'fairy' with the eyebrows was a Huh/WTF moment. Nothing about her resembled a fairy

Was it Vee who said something like magenta eyebrows and lipstick do not a fairy make.

Wonder if Keaghlan heard that as a comment on her green eyebrows?

• Love 4

I dunno. Maybe it was a weird projection or wish fulfillment of Keaghlan's brows. Most fairies that I have seen pics of have wings and are usually beautiful. Not close to being a one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people eater.

• Love 7

I enjoyed this episode partly because Cig and George are my favorites and I was happy to see them earn a third win and partly because Keaghlan finally got the ax.  Melissa may have had a chance if she'd been paired with someone else but maybe not.  That fairy was awful, beyond awful.  I did notice, when Keaghlan had her hair pulled back, that she has a very pretty face.  Why she wants to look juvenile and ridiculous with blue and green eyebrows is beyond me.  Anyhow, I'm glad I don't have to look at her any more.

• Love 7

I continue to find this season uninspiring.  I don't understand why almost all of the teams went for a trope of cranky old woman and a dumb hulk.  How about a smart ogre for a change?  And suddenly putting glasses on a character makes them funny?  (I wonder where the idea for the glasses came from, because I don't remember anything mentioned about them prior to seeing them on stage.)  

• Love 3

I appreciate that it isn't all horror makeup this season. I really do like seeing something other than a weekly string of zombie variants. However this challenge didn't work for me. I just can't imagine the movie or TV show where any of those characters would make sense. The technical work on the old age makeups ans the minotaur were really good, but I can't see a real entertainment role for them.

• Love 2

Glenn mentioned a bit about why I love Cig and George in this episode... they are the "wacky duo" yet they know when not to go too far.  Plus they have great and complementary skills.  And they don't try to "be" the wacky duo.  Sure they dress oddly at times, but they don't do the "wild and crazy guys" schtick some do.  I also liked how, when decided who to choose, they when to a quick round of rock/paper/scissors instead of endless debating or angst.

• Love 4

I think the show gave a hint of what the weakness was for the Keaghlan and Melissa team. They weren't a team - at least in the recent weeks. Last episode showed they were not communicating over the painting of the metal for their character. Melissa did what I thought was a great job painting, turned around to work on something else, and Keaghlan took the opportunity to "finish" it. I don't think Melissa let her know two things: "The painting was already finished" and "Ask me first before you do that". Did they even have a list of who was doing what?

So it wasn't surprising last night that both worked independently on each character and in the end, Melissa came out of that looking like a professional and Keaghlan , not so much. The only real collaboration was on the nose of the fairy. 

I agree who the winning team should be but I still think Emily and Tyler are the team to beat. The look of the season for me was that fabric puppet from the last episode. And they totally work as a team. Tyler took over the molding while Emily gave him tips on the hair. I think the two characters worked well together because the artists worked as a team. 

And I can't give enough praise for the judges in this series. All the criticisms (especially Neville's) are accurate, insightful, and honest. I wish I could see longer segments with them critiquing the work. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, jbrecken said:

If they could have, I think they would have eliminated Keaghlan and Adam.

Yes and then have Logan and Melissa, now THAT would be a GREAT team! Both Logan and Melissa come across as both very professional and unflappable, unlike Adam in particular.

I was really amazed at George's character, while not a beautiful character per se, that was one beautiful make up. Im pulling for them to win now (but I really am sad to see Melissa gone, she was pulled down at every turn by her team mate....grrrrr)

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

11 hours ago, jbrecken said:

If they could have, I think they would have eliminated Keaghlan and Adam.

Yes and then have Logan and Melissa, now THAT would be a GREAT team! Both Logan and Melissa come across as both very professional and unflappable, unlike Adam in particular.

I can just see a vibrant blue dot and a vibrant magenta-red dot walking at a great distance off into the sunset.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ruprecht said:

And I can't give enough praise for the judges in this series. All the criticisms (especially Neville's) are accurate, insightful, and honest. I wish I could see longer segments with them critiquing the work. 

I totally agree. 

• Love 2

Awwwww, well.....I'm going to take the minority position here this week.  I really enjoyed this episode.  I was laughing the whole time during the reveal.  Though I will say this........I've not seen them do this bodysuit challenge before (that I remember), and I do have to wonder how much success was due to the models.  For instance, I was LMAO at the antics, which were all due to how they were portrayed.....were the models instructed how to act?  Also, I have to wonder who chose their character based not on "fairy" or "ogre" but who was wearing the suit (like Megan).  They sure did rule and sell those makeups/ideas.  That aside, I really didn't feel that anyone went home for a horrible design.  I mean, it wasn't a shock that Melissa/Keighlan left, but that was cumulative, for sure.  They knew it, too.  I had also forgotten how much Melissa looks like a Glenn Close/Melissa Etheridge hybrid.  Love her, and best of luck to both of them.  Man, the judges hate Adam and Logan.  I'm not surprised Adam is ready to snap.  Maybe teams just isn't for him.

I enjoyed every teams makeup/stories, but I had Cig/George pegged for the win.  I finally figured out that they give me a Monty Python vibe.  I thought everyone seemed  very inspired this week with the challenge idea as well.  As for M/K, all I could think the whole time after they got "fairy" was "God, I wonder if these two blue hairs are going to give us the Sparkle Paper Towel Fairy".  That would have been cheeky!  Glad to see Evan/Ben get a shot in the arm, though I kinda felt like they stole those horns from C/G last week.  I continue to heart Emily/Tyler (the Emily School of Haircraft!).  They did great, as usual.  Though some people kept pronouncing "dwarf" as "dorf" and that drove me nuts.  I'll also be glad to move on from the promo where you see Emily say "that's fucking cool"  because you can see who else is there and it kind of gives away who is going to be hanging around for a while. 

I, too, love the judges.  I disagree with them at times, but they bring new meaning to the words "constructive criticism".  They know their stuff.  A lot of times, this week included, I'll adore something, especially from afar, and when they do the close up and are able to point out the inaccuracies, I see it then, but not before.  Learning all the time!  Makes for a great show.

• Love 2

I wish they had not gone the comical route for this challenge.  I did not find any of the characters funny, though some were well done.

It would have been cool to see a cool looking fantasy power couple without all the goofiness.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

Awwwww, ...  how much Melissa looks like a Glenn Close/Melissa Etheridge hybrid.  Love her, and best of luck to both of them.  Man, the judges hate Adam and Logan.  I'm not surprised Adam is ready to snap.  Maybe teams just isn't for him.

Agree about Melissa (maybe that's part of why I like her so much....) but Adam I think has already snapped. You know every season you have at least one artist get all huffy and be like, "I'm over this! Had it! Done!" and they go flouncing off. It's rare though that they then smash something but Adam did and that is not cool at all. If you're that torqued out, take it outside, dont be violent and disruptive, everyone is trying to be creative and smashing things is not conducive to artistic creativity and Adam knows it. He's kind of had a chip on his shoulder all season, I'll be really glad when he's gone.

• Love 3

I've never found Adam or Logan, or either of the blue-haired women, particularly good.  I think they, along with Team Miserable, are all cannon fodder anyway.  It's obvious that Cig & George and Tyler & Emily are going to be the final teams, with Emily winning the whole thing.  And by 'obvious', I mean 'in my fantasy ideal world'.

• Love 8

I would have been fine with either Keaghlan & Melissa or Adam & Logan going home last night.  Of team Ben and Evan, only the minotaur saved them, because that wood elf was just as bad as Adam & Logan's efforts.  

The final two teams standing should, of course, be Tyler & Emily and Cig & George.  It seemed like we saw very little of Emily's faun until the  judges' close-up looks.  Even then I didn't see nearly as much of it as I would have liked.  As is often the case with Emily, she created a fully-realized character that I wanted to see in a film and know more about, almost as much as her fabric ballerina.  I thought the judges almost downplayed the faun's brilliance a little bit, maybe because Emily is so clearly running away with this thing.   

If the final winner is judged as a team, I think it'll be close.  If the final winner is one person, Emily for the obvious win.  I still can't believe how young she is; nor how blindingly creative, especially given so little exposure to blockbuster film influences from which to draw inspiration.  She's amazing.

• Love 5

I would watch a spinoff of Emily and Tyler and Cig and George just working together. Every week just give them some random character to make and just watch them work. I seriously just LOVE how well both teams work together. And I agree that these should be the last two teams standing.

I'm glad Team Blue is gone. I do love Melissa and would like to see her again some time but the other one bugs the crap out of me.

The other two teams of guys just leave zero impression on me. Well, Red Mohawk seems like a smug jerk but the rest I have no memory of at all.

• Love 6

I knew Melissa and Keaghlan would be eliminated as soon as I saw Melissa's "day 2" interview in which she, face downturned, shaking her head, talked about Keaghlan working on the fairy sculpture. And sure enough, the "day 2" interview was actually filmed after their elimination, as her exit interview has her wearing the same clothes. Eliminated contestants usually do a better job of hiding their emotions for filming these interviews where they recount earlier parts of the challenge like they've just happened and the final outcome isn't known yet, but not Melissa.

Hearing all the instructions Emily gave Tyler about working hair was hilarious.

I love Emily and Tyler's work, but I'm getting a little bit tired of their much-praised palette - seriously, the judges praise their palette every week - consisting almost entirely of pale tones. I can see they've got those down to a science; I'd like them to paint some actual colors on their next challenge.

• Love 2
On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎14 at 8:40 PM, Frozendiva said:

previously unknown Purple Wrinkled Fairy

Maybe the Blue Fairy had bad plastic surgery and tanning bed accident?

I love everything about Cig & George, they are the perfect example of teamwork. I also love Tyler and Emily, if they had kids they'd have the world's best hair and smiles! Sometimes I kind of get a vibe like Tyler has a bit of a crush on her, anyone else?

11 hours ago, sourpickles said:

Though some people kept pronouncing "dwarf" as "dorf" and that drove me nuts.

For me it was flustrating! Grrrrr.

• Love 2

I had a problem with the male character that Cig and George made - the area around the eyes looked like black holes. I'm not sure if it was the way they sculpted the eyebrow ridge or what, but having the model's eyes in shadow is a problem for a real character because you can't see them emote as much. But the judges were so in love with the combination of their use of silicone and the way they used the body suits that I knew they were going to win.

I loved Emily and Tyler's pair because, as Ve explained so well, they made two characters who looked like very different creatures but who clearly came from the same world (and not just because of the color palette).

Team Blue had to go. They have been in the bottom way too many times and for good reason. If not for the alternating weeks of winning immunity/elimination, they would have been gone far sooner. That fairy was terrible for multiple reasons. The most glaring problem for me was that she didn't read as old from a distance. All the time spent sculpting wrinkles into the fairy's face were rendered moot by slapping a flat coat of purple paint on top. Keaghlan didn't do anything to highlight or shade the wrinkles so until you were right in her face, they weren't visible at all. The eyebrows were terrible too.

I was trying to figure out if the Project Runway QVC Accessory Wall migrated over to Face Off with a bunch of glasses this week. I couldn't find any other reason that two teams slapped glasses on their models. At least on the older character, I could kind of justify it because old people wear glasses, but on the nymph? All I could think of when I looked at her was that Hipster Ariel picture that was all the rage on tumblr circa 2011.

Gp7tGgs.jpg

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

Sometimes I kind of get a vibe like Tyler has a bit of a crush on her, anyone else?

Yes.  I think all the straight guys have a crush on her LOL.  Hell, I have half a crush on her.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

I was so excited to see that Mackenzie finally got a dress of a decent length and then I see the black bra straps showing underneath the silver! Gah!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that earlier.  Usually she is so well turned out, but that ice skating costume this week took me straight back to Nancy Kerrigan in the early 90s.  Gah, indeed.

2 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Tyler's straight?

Beats me, maybe not, but he sure is awesome.  Hell, he could be picnic basket gay and I'd still use him as "what to look for" qualities.  Funny, talented, easy on the eyes, great smile.........and the list goes on.  He's one of my very favorite contestants on any reality show of all time.  :)

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, SherriAnt said:

Mine too,  right up there with Tate from season 1.

Yes, I loved him too. He had a way about him that was always so.....helpful and respectful I guess?  I just remember him bailing out that one gal who quit, Lacey was it?  with nary the blink of an eye.  He was a good dude.  PS.....your kitties are cute!  Seems like there are a lot of us cat people on all the shows I watch.  Totally OT, but worth mentioning!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sourpickles said:

I love all animals equally.  And I'd kick the chit out of an abuser.  But that is a handsome friend there ;)

TY!!! I'd go on a kicking spree right along with you

Back on topic, that really was an amazing dwarf make up Cig and George did.  And I'll add my voice to the chorus praising Emily and Tyler.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

Back on topic, that really was an amazing dwarf make up Cig and George did.  And I'll add my voice to the chorus praising Emily and Tyler.

I almost feel bad for them, because it seems like they end up second behind E/T, BUT they've won their share of challenges.  I think I'll go with E/T and C/G for the top two, unless we end up with the scenarios presented above..............

6 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn't like those weird bodysuits on creatures that are supposed to be graceful like elves, fairies, and naiyads. It wasn't necessary for the challenge, IMO.

I think that's part of the reason that everyone went comical vs. powerful.  I liked it as a challenge idea though. 

• Love 1

Not a huge fan of the faun, or this week's other Tyler/Emily creation, tbh (that goblin was just awfully generic and forgettable). No question about the bottom looks, though : they were just awful. Cig/George were fine, but i wasn't as enthusiastic about those as I thought I would be (the dwarf just didn't look too great). I didn't get all the praise for the minotaur. And somehow, I really liked the geeky water nymph librarian, which could have worked had Adam & Logan sold it better, and had its counterpart been more cartoony/outrageous than "standard orc sculpt".

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn't like those weird bodysuits on creatures that are supposed to be graceful like elves, fairies, and naiyads. It wasn't necessary for the challenge, IMO.

Thinking about Cary Grant re the movies of the time of Feud, I wondered what could have happened if the minotaur or the other oversized characters had been made suave and debonair.  And they would have been in a Tux.

Then I remembered where someone said that the artists have to sit with the staff who do clothing..either make or rent, and I realized that renting a Tux to fit an orc might not happen, even in Hollywood.

• Love 1

Tyler went on Twitter and reassured America that Emily has, in fact, seen Shrek.

Over on Reddit, Melissa said she argued very hard that they should make the fairy into a bodybuilder, because that's what the body suit looked like to her.  It sounds like Team Smurf wasn't communicating at all by that point.

Ben said that Logan and Adam like each other, but have very different styles, and that caused some friction.

The big reveal was that Mold Drama is nowhere near as big a problem as they make it look.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, starri said:

The big reveal was that Mold Drama is nowhere near as big a problem as they make it look.

I wonder how much of that is just the all-star season; some of the mold drama in past seasons was from people who came onto the show and had little experience molding.  Even in this episode, we saw Emily defer to Tyler's superior mold setup skills (maybe he can teach her molding the way she taught him hair treatment).  

Of course, even when there was mold drama, most of the time they'd cut to commercial, then come back and 3 or 4 other facetestants would be helping out- which is one of the things we all kind of love about this show- and the problem would be easily fixed.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, hincandenza said:

3 or 4 other facetestants would be helping out- which is one of the things we all kind of love about this show

Ain't that the truth? I really do love the interaction, especially when compared to Hell's Kitchen, which I also watch. Hypocrite, I know. It's more a hate watch at this point.

Thanks for  the kitty compliments, sourpickles, they're my senior citizen fur babies.

And also, WearyTraveler, I'm scared of dogs in real life, but love them everywhere else :)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, starri said:

Tyler went on Twitter and reassured America that Emily has, in fact, seen Shrek.

Over on Reddit, Melissa said she argued very hard that they should make the fairy into a bodybuilder, because that's what the body suit looked like to her.  It sounds like Team Smurf wasn't communicating at all by that point.

Ben said that Logan and Adam like each other, but have very different styles, and that caused some friction.

I guess this whole comment has quoteables...........I'm glad Emily saw something.  I, personally, cannot stand Shrek, so that does not tweak my reference points, but yay for her!  I can see M/K not communicating, it was obvious after a while they had different viewpoints.  I think Logan/Adam and B/E are in the same boat, with different ideas and all.  Ah, mold drama.  I'm sure they can all handle it, but where would we be with none of that?  Dang near every episode!

16 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

And also, WearyTraveler, I'm scared of dogs in real life, but love them everywhere else :)

I'm sorry to read that, as 99% of dogs are awesome, and the 1% who are not is most likely due to humans.  This one I got now just adores people, but he likes them so much he  gets very excited and jumps around, he'd probably scare you to death with all his happiness at meeting you.  The one I had before, was mellower, and an expert at turning people who feared dogs into dog lovers.  His name was Pumba and he was so awesome I wrote a short story about him and published it in Amazon.

I once rescued a cat and fostered him for a few months, until he found a permanent home.  He was great.  His name was Galileo, but current dog on the left there doesn't get along with cats.  Also, the crazy cat once decided to fling himself off a three story window, and ran me some pretty hefty vet bills, but he was adorable, nonetheless.

Speaking of cats and dogs, there's an idea for an odd couple.  Catwoman and Werewolf, mid and full transformation.  With Emily's talent for hair, I would love to see what she and Tyler would come up with.  I seem to remember there was once a challenge with werewolves, maybe first season? I have an image in my head of Tate being very excited about that challenge and winning it, but I'm not 100% sure that was the case.

Edited by WearyTraveler
Because grammatically correct prepositions are awesome
  • Love 2