Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Chapter Seven: In a Lonely Place

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Have we ever seen Hermione and Alice interact? I ask because I don't remember any interactions, and consequently was surprised that the reason she gave for helping Polly and Betty was "anything for Alice Cooper's daughters." I was expecting her reason to be that Betty is her daughter's best friend (especially since helping Betty would win her some much-needed points with Veronica). I do remember that Hermione obviously hates Mama Blossom (see her remark to Cheryl in a previous episode about not having class), so it could be an "enemy of my enemy" thing, or maybe there's something more there. Since the show has the Great Maple Syrup Rivalry between the Coopers and the Blossoms, it seems important that the Lodges are apparently on the Coopers' side.

Alice and Hermione had a scene in episode 3. It wasn't a friendly moment, pretty chilly in fact. Veronica is on Alice's list of people Betty shouldn't associate with because she's Hermione's daughter so she's definitely not a fan. I think Hermione agreed to keep Polly because it allows her to piss off both the Coopers and the Blossoms in one move. She seemed positively gleeful about it. 

Someone from the state needs to takeover this murder case because Sheriff Keller is clearly not up to this.

Isn't it a requirement that the sheriff is has to suck at his job so the intrepid heroes can solve the case? Seems like he's right on track to me. Besides as someone pointed out earlier he's a good parent so he's got to be bad at something.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 4

I'm so happy this show got renewed. This is TV Crack, and I needs my fix!

I'm going to assume Veronica, et all went to an adjacent town to go clubbing, because Riverdale having a club just stretches  suspension of disbelief waaaaaay too far, even on this show.

• Love 9

I really enjoyed getting to dwell further into jugheads story more in this episode and DEFINITELY SHIP HIM AND BETTY, which is a far better match than Betty and Archie. Anyway I like Polly but I feel like there's gonna be more drama and that there's something missing with her and I can't tell what it is. And with Cheryl I enjoy her as a character as being sorta out there in that badass kinda way but as we've gotten to know her family more throughout the season all I feel is sad for her because of just how awful that family is (no kidding Jason left), anyway I think that at this point within the series that Archie has become a rather useless pawn in the show and that his father has more value to the show because he's involved with Hermoine and now involved with the sheriff and jughead. I felt this episode was one of those thicker episodes we all long for content wise and I was definitely pleased with it, can't wait for more! 

• Love 3

I liked seeing Jughead's dream in the beginning with the characters dressed like they are in comics. I also liked Archie and Veronica noticing that there was something going on between Juggie and Betty. I liked getting to know more about Jughead, I'm glad his mom and Jellybean are okay. I was worried they were dead since he didn't mention them. I guess he didn't want to leave school and that's why he stayed.  

It's great that the Veronica and Josie friendship wasn't a one and done thing. Josie rolling her eyes at Veronica saying they took away their cars and yachts, then looked appalled when she said they took the clothes too. Veronica and her mother dealing with problems like business deals was great. Even with her mother forging her signature Veronica seems to have the best relationship with her mother out of the rest of the town. The rest of the mothers either skipped town or are psychos. I hope we get to meet Hiram Lodge in season 2. 

I don't why Betty would think it would be a good idea to leave Polly with the Blossom's they are as crazy as her parents. Poor Betty she'll never leave the crazy since she's now connected to Cheryl and her family by a niece or nephew. 

Have we ever seen Hermione and Alice interact? I ask because I don't remember any interactions

Hermione slapped Alice when Alice walked up to her and called Veronica a slut at some town event. So if she's helping it's probably because she wants to stick it to Alice. If Polly starts trusting her over her own mother that will really make the Cooper's mad. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

It was Penelope who slapped Alice at The Taste Of Riverdale because Alice was pestering her for an interview. 

Hermione just threw withering glances at Alice, at the same event, as Alice sneeringly taunted her about Veronica's sexting scandal.

• Love 2

Right. I just remembered Alice gleeful telling Hermione about Veronica's sex scandal. So I don't think there's any love there. If she's taking in Polly it's to spite Alice. I don't feel bad about that Alice is a horrible mother and maybe Polly can see what a better mother/daughter relationship is like with Hermione and Veronica. They are nowhere near perfect but their does seem to be more love and honesty in their relationship. They don't seem to hide things for too long from each other. 

Edited by Sakura12

I have to say, I'm really enjoying this show and glad it's been renewed for a second season.  Loving Betty and Juggy. The scene with them walking home holding hands was the cutest. Oh and all of you upthread who are feeling some type of way about Cole Sprouse, I am right there with you! I'm about 10 years too old for him lol

• Love 5
On 3/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, Dee said:

Even Especially when he's grubby and filthy, Skeet Ulrich remains uber cute.

Fixed that for you!

On 3/10/2017 at 7:17 AM, Dee said:

I need Neve Campbell to play Jughead's Mom ...

I want this SO bad! 

On 3/10/2017 at 10:40 AM, Cookie1981 said:

All of the Covergirl stuff makes me never want to buy their products again. 

It does the opposite for me. I simply love this show so much that I am quite tempted to buy some Covergirl stuff just to support it financially lol.

3 hours ago, starri said:

Am I the only one who found the locker room scene with Juggy and Archiekins a bit homoerotic?

Not at all. But then I find most of the Jughead/Archie scenes to be tinged with that so!

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I am attracted to both Jughead and his dad, but here I am!

• Love 9

I think the Serpents had something to do with burning Jason's car because of the drug connection.

But come on, FP.  Even if you weren't the one to specifically burn the car (maybe an underling did it?), WHY would you have Jason's jacket?  Then, you hang it up right next to your Southside Serpents jacket.  I know FP is kinda out of it much of the time because of his drinking but you have a personal item of someone who was recently murdered.  Please fold that thing up and stash it in a bag or something!

• Love 3
On 10.03.2017 at 8:19 PM, indiscutable said:

To me, Betty/Juggy have such strong Veronica/Logan parallels (which also makes me think that they will have ups and downs but ultimately be a core couple).

Interesting, I had the same impression as you. However, Veronica/Logan were never supposed to be endgame. Duncan was her intended love interest, and only actor's leaving (with a dose of fan response) changed that.

I've binged all episodes available, and I'm definitely on "Bughead" (this portmanteau makes me laugh so much) train. I cannot stand Archie. It feels like he's in a different show, and the narrative would flow so much better were he to just disappear, really. His connection to the murder plot is tenuous at best, he's not proactive and really, he has basically zero characterization. The whole music subplot is boring as hell and I mostly FF through his scenes. Hell, even Duncan Kane was more interesting - and I hated Duncan Kane.

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm also so not surprised that the Coopers have a dusty attic filled with broken mirrors, creepy old dolls, and ancient wedding dresses. I would be amazed if everyone in Riverdale didn't.

That is so PLL.

• Love 4

It does the opposite for me. I simply love this show so much that I am quite tempted to buy some Covergirl stuff just to support it financially lol

Aw I was in a super grumpy mood yesterday when I wrote about never wanting to buy their stuff due to the silly product placement.

Hermione is practically mother of the year compared to Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Blossom. I like the relationship she has with Veronica, she is warm and loving but still the adult in the relationship. Bonus points for her not seeing her daughter as just an extension of herself and their name. Obviously the forgery stuff shows she isn't an angel but her whole storyline with Hirams business dealings is shady. I look forward to his return. Is he meant to be a Riverdale alum as well?

I would accept Robin Tunney from The Craft as Skeets missing wife if Neve won't appear. He looks great even with the bleary eyes and scruff. Hard living looks good on both Jones guys but I hope maybe Juggie will have his family in tact and happier at some point. 

Lastly....I really really want to know what the deal was with Cheryl and Jason but at the same time it freaks me out. The actress plays every other beat like a jealous girlfriend and it is so icky. 

• Love 3

I don't not like the teens but honestly I'm more here for the adults at this point. Skeet acted the hell out of his last scene with Jughead. Luke Perry's Fred has his flaws but still is able to look the other crazy parents in the eye and call them on their crazy, Madchen Amick is having the time of her life playing Alice Cooper, and Hermione Lodge is shady as hell but a good mom. I love that they're not just wallpaper and their machinations are just as convoluted and integral to the overall show events. 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, FurryFury said:

However, Veronica/Logan were never supposed to be endgame. Duncan was her intended love interest, and only actor's leaving (with a dose of fan response) changed that.

I Thought it was also because the creators realised that Logan was more interesting and Jason D was a better actor that also contributed to Logan overtaking Duncan. I hope that's what happens here and they realise Betty/Jughead have that spark to become the core couple/endgame and go with it. It would certainly be a refreshing change from the usual CW triangles.

39 minutes ago, Cookie1981 said:

I would accept Robin Tunney from The Craft as Skeets missing wife if Neve won't appear.

Yes please! I'd love Robin Tunney as Mrs Jones. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Didn't you get the memo that the authorities need to constantly be on the lookout for suspicious loners  and lying temptresses that might dare to fight back when rich, popular athletes engage in societally-approved bullying or sexual harassment? Won't somebody think of these golden boys and the tragedy of people exposing them to consequences of their actions?

You mean the kidnapping and waterboarding portion of their revenge? Because I'm pretty sure that's not the appropriate level of response for what Chuck did. Besides, as far as the sheriff knew, Jug had nothing to do with that so the authorities would have no reason to bother with him in those regards.

18 hours ago, millk said:

How big is Riverdale to have a hopping nightclub on a school night where the mayor's underaged daughter can booze it up with the sheriff's underaged son and them not know who they are?

Can we also talk about the fact that said night club gave Veronica back her card after it was reported stolen? At least have him keep the card throw them out and get Hermonia to get the card back off screen.

I just realized that in terms of the main cast the best mother is either a crooked mayor stage mom type or a mother who's forging her daughter's signature to help the man who she's having an affair with. How is the suicide rate not higher in Riverdale?

• Love 2

This week's randomness:  I noticed the grocery ad on the back of the paper Mr. Cooper was reading at the table advertised round steak for $1.69/lb. Definitely feeding into the "what decade is this" vibe of the show (in addition to Veronica explicitly asking that question when talking about Polly).  

• Love 4
On March 9, 2017 at 9:48 PM, angora said:

. . . I'm a little worried that Jughead is more into Betty than she is to him; I'm hoping it's more just a product of that uncertainty/confusion and clearly being preoccupied with everything happening with Polly. . . .

Veronica's plot wasn't one of my favorites, but I appreciated both how calculated she was in her acting out and that she was angling for a negotiation rather than a concession from Hermione.  The scenes of her dancing with Josie, Kevin, and Reggie looked fun, and I felt for her when she was telling them about how betrayed she felt by Hermione.

Sheriff Keller may still be a good dad, but he's not doing too hot as a sheriff.  Suspecting a 15-year-old boy of murder on the basis of 1) something stupid and irresponsible he did when he was, what, 9?, 2) getting bullied by football players, and 3) being "from a family on the wrong side of the tracks?"  Yeesh.

They sure seem to be telegraphing that Betty is not too sure about being a couple with Jughead. Too soon to predict whether Juggie will get his heart broken or if Betty will decide she's into him or none of the above.

The Veronica plot seemed to be using Veronica as an exposition fairy to spell out what goes through a teen's subconscious when acting out in rebellion—likewise when she verbally spelled out what we mere mortal$ see when the obscenely wealthy prattle on about their woes—not that they too can't sometimes suffer real pain.

I wonder if the bit with the 50s style characters and wardrobe (I enjoyed seeing Jughead's original felt hat even if the scissored points were exaggerated) was inspired by last season's Mr. Robot extended version of a 50s-60s sitcom. In both cases, the "real" story was going darker than it had been. 

• Love 1

Logan was more interesting and Jason D was a better actor that also contributed to Logan overtaking Duncan.

Amen. But seriously, at least a Duncan had the connection to Lily, his twisty and potentially incestuous feelings for Veronica and was a real potential suspect to make his continued presence tolerable. Archie has nothing high stakes going for him like all of the other characters and it drags him down. I'm hoping the murder connects back to Miss Grundy as a case of mistaken identity with the two redheads. Having him be the real target would be a hard thing for Archie to live with and is a good story. I think the Serpents and FP are red herrings and burned the car to cover up their connection to a dead kid.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Last Time Lord said:

I'm so happy this show got renewed. This is TV Crack, and I needs my fix!

I'm going to assume Veronica, et all went to an adjacent town to go clubbing, because Riverdale having a club just stretches  suspension of disbelief waaaaaay too far, even on this show.

I've just been assuming that Riverdale's geographical boundaries are... flexible, to say the least. Kind of like Springfield or Sunnydale.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I liked seeing Jughead's dream in the beginning with the characters dressed like they are in comics. I also liked Archie and Veronica noticing that there was something going on between Juggie and Betty. I liked getting to know more about Jughead, I'm glad his mom and Jellybean are okay. I was worried they were dead since he didn't mention them. I guess he didn't want to leave school and that's why he stayed.  

That makes sense for Jughead to remain in Riverdale. Especially factoring in his crush on Betty.

I'm still on the fence with whether or not Betty truly loves him. I'm glad she initiated the kiss this time. (You could practically see the hearts fluttering around Jughead -- so adorable!) Until the romantic stroll with him, she couldn't puzzle out where Polly was hiding. Seemingly, Juggie gives Betts a sense of safety and comfort, which helps her to think clearly. The same flash of insight also happened when Jughead kissed Betty in her bedroom. Except this time, she could've kissed Jughead out of sheer gratefulness, by him triggering her memory. Or perhaps it was a genuine display of affection for him aiding her. I hope it's the latter. I really love the Bughead ship. But for now, I still have one hand on a life preserver.

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

And Jason Blossom continues to not speak when he appears.

It's a running gag. AFAIK, Melody hasn't spoken any lines as of yet also.

• Love 4

I think Betty probably never thought of Juggy that way and now she is trying to process that while also dealing with her pregnant possibly crazy runaway sister and her insane family, and Jason's insane family. I'm glad her feelings weren't instant. It seems more real that she's unsure. It gives me more hope that this could be a true relationship and not just a way to get Archie to realize Betty was "the one". God, I will vow to watch this show forever if they manage to shock everyone by NOT doing the biggest longest triangle in entertainment history. (that could be exaggerating, I don't know that much about famous triangles, but this one has been going on since what, the 50s?) It would be pretty badass of the show to just not go there, or have that first ep be it for the triangle.

Honestly, I think this show doesn't need the triangle. There is so much going on I just don't think they need it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Oscirus said:

I just realized that in terms of the main cast the best mother is either a crooked mayor stage mom type or a mother who's forging her daughter's signature to help the man who she's having an affair with. How is the suicide rate not higher in Riverdale?

Apparently just NOT leaving makes one a sterling Mom.

I love how well the cast interacts with each other. Veronica has had meaningful scenes with pretty much every teen character on the show, even Reggie. I do find it interesting that Reggie was dancing with Kevin.

One of the, IMO, missed opportunities of the show playing with the established comics characters, was making Moose, and not Reggie, Kevin's secret hook-up.

Josie said her mother was the Mayor, so it pretty much had to be Riverdale.

I'm glad they didn't get into the legality of Veronica's signature being forged, as she likely cannot sign a contract as it is without Hermione's co-sign, but the actress sold the hurt.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

I'm glad they didn't get into the legality of Veronica's signature being forged, as she likely cannot sign a contract as it is without Hermione's co-sign, but the actress sold the hurt.

As appealing as I find Betty, Camila Mendes is really the MVP of the show, acting-wise.

• Love 3

I'm wondering, with all the negative feedback surrounding Archie's more 'grounded' stories, how well similar stories in that vein would be received once Jason's death is wrapped up.

Can this show function as a more 'normal' high school/family drama or will it need stunts to maintain its buzz?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Honey Bear said:

It's a running gag. AFAIK, Melody hasn't spoken any lines as of yet also.

I think Melody had a few lines in last week's episode.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

I'm wondering, with all the negative feedback surrounding Archie's more 'grounded' stories, how well similar stories in that vein would be received once Jason's death is wrapped up.

Can this show function as a more 'normal' high school/family drama or will it need stunts to maintain its buzz?

Assuming they don't just bring in more crazy stories, I think the biggest problem with Archie's earlier "grounded" stories was that they seemed trivial compared to the other stuff his friends were doing.  If the show as a whole toned it down, the contrast wouldn't be there anymore.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, starri said:

As appealing as I find Betty, Camila Mendes is really the MVP of the show, acting-wise.

This was the first episode where I was really impressed with her acting. So far Ive been pretty meh on her performance (though I did and still do enjoy her ability to generate chemistry with any and all of the girls she had scenes with) but she was really good in the scene where she's upset about Hermione taking her name. It was almost like a different show there for a minute. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, starri said:

Am I the only one who found the locker room scene with Juggy and Archiekins a bit homoerotic?

Just me?

Okay then.

Not just you - KJ/Cole have had an amazing chemistry since the beginning.  And i wouldn't be at all surprised to find it wasn't encouraged.

For those who don't know, series developer/executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is also currently the chief creative officer of Archie Comics.  He earned this position largely due to the success of the Afterlife with Archie series he created, which was a darker subversive take on the characters.  Since that time, there's been a subsection of the company devoted to "Archie Horror" which creates various other books which all are other types of darker, subversive takes on the characters.  Which of course led to developing Riverdale - another (wait for it...) darker, subversive take on the characters.  And the last couple years has been rebooting the entire output of Archie comic books (except for the digests) into a brand new modern-day reimagining of the characters which are typically (say it with me) darker and more subversive than what they've traditionally been.

And what was Roberto's first association with Archie?  Writing a play in 2003 based on the Archie characters which was a (same verse, same as the first) darker, subversive take on the Archie characters where Archie comes out as gay.  At the time ACP issued a cease and desist order.  Yet less than a decade later, RA-S would be not only officially employed by the company but moved up to a position where all he seems to do is dream up new ways to explore darker, more subversive takes on the Archie characters!  From being nearly sued to making it the company's current standard operating procedure!  Quite the journey!

But at any rate, Roberto's (himself openly gay) first Archie writing experience (though unofficial and nearly taken to court over) was re-imagining Archie as gay so i'm sure he probably encourages the onscreen bromantic feels between Arch and Juggy.  As for incestuous vibes between the Blossom twins?  That was very much a part of his Afterlife with Archie books so it should come as little surprise that the same vibe exists in the show. 

• Love 11

That was very interesting information. Thanks. I personally would have been fine with a gay Archie, though I can see how that just wasn't gonna sail with the Company. I do think the edgier darker Archie works for our world. I can't see many people flocking to this show if it was truly based on original recipe Archie. Though it was awesome to see it in Juggy's nightmare. lol

It's an interesting question of whether the show can survive without the murder mystery. Honestly, I don't know. I'm not really a fan of typical teen drama. I have been out of high school for a long time and I do not miss it. But I do I think that, if they continue to develop the friendships between the characters, and throw in enough non-romantic drama, they could do well.

As much as I love the murder mystery aspect, what I truly love about that aspect of the show are the characters involved. I love Betty being more than just the sweet girl next door, and her and Juggy as amateur sleuths, which could continue with them working on the school paper and uncovering minor scandals in the school. The Blossoms are just so over the top gothic horror that I love anything they are involved in. I honestly couldn't possibly care less who killed Jason because he's not a character I know or care about. I only care in how the reveal will affect Cheryl.

• Love 1

This show barely can barely maintain the murder mystery now. The show will live or die off how the show develops it's characters. Besides, Jugheads narrations hints at darker days ahead for Riverdale even after the murder is solved. Add to that the arrival of a clearly evil Hiram and there should be enough storyline wise.

As for homoerotic vibes, you put two characters in a room for long enough, some people are bound to get vibes. There were some who got the same vibes off Betty veronica.  It probably doesn't help that at the moment that Archie Jughead relationship is similar to the ultimate homoerotic broship, Sean-Corey.

In terms of the Jughead-Betty relationship, when it dissolves it will likely be Jughead doing the breaking up.   That's the easiest way to do it without  there being negative audience consequences for Betty.

• Love 1

Polly's behavior during Betty's visit at Sister Agnes' Home for Wayward Girls did not give me the impression of stability and mental health, although it's impossible to say whether that's due to being packed away by the Coopers or a pre-existing problem.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Eneya said:

Why is everybody so onto the "Polly is crazy" train? I have not seen any behaviour that can be considered abnormal?

For real People don't forget her parents fucking suck and if she's even a little bit cuckoo it's probably cause of the way her parents are 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Oscirus said:

This show barely can barely maintain the murder mystery now. The show will live or die off how the show develops it's characters. Besides, Jugheads narrations hints at darker days ahead for Riverdale even after the murder is solved. Add to that the arrival of a clearly evil Hiram and there should be enough storyline wise.

As for homoerotic vibes, you put two characters in a room for long enough, some people are bound to get vibes. There were some who got the same vibes off Betty veronica.  It probably doesn't help that at the moment that Archie Jughead relationship is similar to the ultimate homoerotic broship, Sean-Corey.

In terms of the Jughead-Betty relationship, when it dissolves it will likely be Jughead doing the breaking up.   That's the easiest way to do it without  there being negative audience consequences for Betty.

About if Bughead doesn't last I've always had a theory that Jughead ends it Not Betty. With rumors we could see Jughead being Asexual in second 2, it could be that Jughead ends it with Betty cause he can't give her Sexual Intimacy or he pushes her away into Archies Arms. I think Cole and Lili could pull off a sad tearfilled breakup of Bughead Though I don't want Betty to get her heart broken 

On 3/11/2017 at 0:48 PM, Bill1978 said:

And Jason Blossom continues to not speak when he appears.

I SO want to see this continue to be a running gag that we never hear him say a word in any of his flashbacks, visions, dream sequences - and then when we finally do, i'd howl with laughter if he had the most horrific nails-on-blackboard high screeching voice.

• Love 9
On 11/3/2017 at 7:09 PM, FurryFury said:

I've binged all episodes available, and I'm definitely on "Bughead" (this portmanteau makes me laugh so much) train. I cannot stand Archie. It feels like he's in a different show, and the narrative would flow so much better were he to just disappear, really. His connection to the murder plot is tenuous at best, he's not proactive and really, he has basically zero characterization. The whole music subplot is boring as hell and I mostly FF through his scenes. Hell, even Duncan Kane was more interesting - and I hated Duncan Kane.

Hi, FurryFurry! Happy to see you here :) Also; same. I mean, I don't necessarily want Archie to disappear, I just don't really care that much for him. And involving him in the mystery, like the show did this episode, turns out to not help as much as I thought it would. However, if Cookie1981 is right,

On 11/3/2017 at 8:43 PM, Cookie1981 said:

I'm hoping the murder connects back to Miss Grundy as a case of mistaken identity with the two redheads. Having him be the real target would be a hard thing for Archie to live with and is a good story. I think the Serpents and FP are red herrings and burned the car to cover up their connection to a dead kid.

...it would go some way to remedy that. I hope. I have no sense of how strong an actor KJ Apa is - so far, he hasn't been able to sell anything other than mild interest in the girl of the day. I like him with both Veronica and Valerie, but that's because both girls are interesting in and of themselves. Perhaps that's what he'll continue to be: A catalyst for the girls' stories. That would be quite subverting vis a vis traditional tv tropes...

On 11/3/2017 at 11:26 PM, Honey Bear said:

I really love the Bughead ship. But for now, I still have one hand on a life preserver.

and

On 11/3/2017 at 11:40 PM, Mabinogia said:

God, I will vow to watch this show forever if they manage to shock everyone by NOT doing the biggest longest triangle in entertainment history. (that could be exaggerating, I don't know that much about famous triangles, but this one has been going on since what, the 50s?) It would be pretty badass of the show to just not go there, or have that first ep be it for the triangle.

Honestly, I think this show doesn't need the triangle. There is so much going on I just don't think they need it.

I don't know why shows (and teenage shows especially) cling to the idea of love triangles/break ups. Seems to me, what people most often lament on boards like this are this particular affliction. I don't know if it's because I'm older now, but I'm much more interested in depictions of stable* love stories. I find the tendency to switch to a new crush whenever things get 'normal' very childish in real life, and I guess I do too in fiction.

*I don't believe 'stable' necessarily equals 'boring' like some showrunners tend to think. I'm not completely against break-ups and temporary love interests if the story's told well, but love triangles/couples' merry-go-around can become just as boring in my opinion. If every relationship is always in flux, nothing matters, and why should I invest in a couple, if I'm guaranteed they'll break off next time something shiny shows up?

All that said, I'm hanging on to the lifeboat with you, @Honey Bear. By forming so early on in the show, Bughead is going against conventional love interest-tropes if they're end game. Here's to hoping Riverdale is more like Veronica Mars than Dawson's Creek.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:58 AM, Dee said:

While I agree with @Oscirus that show lives or dies on how well it develops its characters, I still think the show will need a bigger storyline that 'normal high-school drama' to keep my interest. Luckily , so far it seems like the showrunner has managed to balance the creepy with the normal - and Hiram Lodge might just be the next mystery...

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 8:10 AM, starri said:

Just me?

Okay then.

Cole Sprouse gives off an air of sexual ambiguity that works well for slash. I look at him and don't immediately think "straight" or "gay"...but more like, "Hmm."

The fact that they ARE featuring Jughead with shirtless scenes does suggest to me that they are giving him the hearthrob treatment, at least subtly. I do think it's funny that his body looks way more teenaged than KJ Apa's, yet he's in his mid-20's and KJ is still a teenager for a few more months.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Cole Sprouse gives off an air of sexual ambiguity that works well for slash. I look at him and don't immediately think "straight" or "gay"...but more like, "Hmm."

Camila Mendes has that same quality. She's brought the hoyay with every actress she's been paired with thus far (Betty, Josie, Cheryl). 

• Love 6

In general I recoil from love triangle plots, but I feel it would be disingenuous to object to a Betty/Archie/Veronica one on this show since that's been the central motif of the source material since WWII. I just hope when they go there it's well-executed.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I don't know how to feel about the fact that I am attracted to both Jughead and his dad, but here I am!

I am right there with you! I tried explaining it to my friend and she thinks I'm crazy for finding the little kid from Big Daddy hot. LOL

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Polly's behavior during Betty's visit at Sister Agnes' Home for Wayward Girls did not give me the impression of stability and mental health, although it's impossible to say whether that's due to being packed away by the Coopers or a pre-existing problem.

This. There was something just a little bit off about the way she was talking about raising their baby in the farm upstate. I think it's probably a Cooper thing rather than a new development. We've already seen signs in Betty that there's some issues lurking beneath the surface. I'd be surprised if Polly who's supposed to be the more volatile one doesn't have any issues. Plus have you seen their attic? Nightmares.

15 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I feel it would be disingenuous to object to a Betty/Archie/Veronica one on this show since that's been the central motif of the source material since WWII. I just hope when they go there it's well-executed.

The problem being I have yet to see a well executed love triangle on the CW. Part of the reason I'm enjoying the show so much is the way it's flipping some of the comic themes. So while it's probably inevitable I hope they hold off on the triangle as long as possible.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

In general I recoil from love triangle plots, but I feel it would be disingenuous to object to a Betty/Archie/Veronica one on this show since that's been the central motif of the source material since WWII. I just hope when they go there it's well-executed.

So they have to do it cause Comics? Sorry that doesn't interest me at all especially when this show has set up Archie as not deserving of those two awesome ladies and currently he's with Valerie. Plus the awesome friendship Betty and Veronica have Yes they should ruin that so both girls can fight over a fuckboy. I think it would be awesome if there was no triangle at all.  But I guess I'm disingenuous cause I don't want to see a love triangle on screen cause like I said Archie doesn't deserve them and him getting everything he wants is annoying 

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 4

Standing on my soap box, preaching about how much I dislike love traingles, I forgot the most important thing: How much I enjoyed this episode! Jughead broke my heart. Archie was a good friend. Polly was found - in a creepy attic*, no less. The Blossoms looked properly gothic in their hunting uniforms. Cheryl did a good deed. Veronica finangled her mom. So many things to like about this episode!

*The cinematographer and art directer/production designer deserves all the awards. From the beginning of the episode with it's creepy imitation of the 50s (that syncronized head tilt Betty and her mom do!) intersected with FP drinking, to the attic with dolls, old wedding dresses - even the title sequence with its neon flashes - I think the show's oddly beautiful and so very creepy.

• Love 8

Have rewatched the episode and a few things stuck out with me.

First Betty why would you sit on the inside of the booth and allow yourself to be cornered by the Blossom family? I was hoping she would pull a Polly and jump out of Pop's window.

Skeet did a really good job of playing a guy who clearly has been an alcoholic for an extended period of time. He looked like he was practically having to shakes when he tried to stay sober for barely a day. I also found his reasoning behind why he did some of the shady things he did to be very consistent of a lot of people who try to justify the bad things they do. Basically he had it harder than Fred because he had one more child so he had to do bad things. Also only mentions being bailed out one time.

Fred's take of course was that it wasn't just one time before he actually let FP go. There were also a couple things that Fred said that were interesting or actually the way he phrased them. He mentions that FP stole supplies and sold 'stuff'. The way it was phrased didn't necessarily mean that the supplies were what he sold or at least all that he sold. So I wonder just how aware Fred is of FP's Serpent affiliation. Then at the end Fred tells Archie that he has his skills (making fake work papers) and FP has his. Does this mean that Fred has this before and if so under what circumstances?

Archie, I am liking you more now that you are being brought in more to the central plot but seriously stop with the damn looks at Jug and Betty when they are acting somewhat couple-y.

Loved the creepiness of the beginning scene especially with how off Jason/Polly looked and then the duel head tilts by Betty and Alice.

Not worried about the show being able to find its way after the murder mystery is solved. I think the show has been given signs of possible stories to come plus we need to see how the murder mystery resolves because the resolution itself could create a main story that moves the show forward.

• Love 5