Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Aw, I'm proud of Ari! I mean, to the extent that a viewer who doesn't actually know the guy can be proud ??‍♀️

MSNBC's Ari Melber Is Proving Up to the Challenge

Also, ☕️

Melber took over the 6 p.m. hour under uncomfortable circumstances. He replaced another former lawyer, Greta Van Susteren, who says she was fired by the top brass for doing poorly in the ratings. Van Susteren, a veteran of the cable news business, lasted less than six months.

Edited by netlyon2
Doggone autocorrect!
  • Love 6

In this day of many favorite moments on MSNBC, my personal favorite happened on Ari Melber's show on Friday afternoon, when he invited criminal defense attorney Brian Wice to talk about the Flynn guilty plea.  Said Wice:  "This is like the Mafia, and Flynn is one of the capos, not a chucklehead like Papadopoulos." 

("Capo" = leader in the Mafia organizational structure; "chucklehead" = the kind of language I want my criminal defense attorney to use if I ever need one.)

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I could watch & listen to Ari all.day.long!!!

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, Apprentice79 said:

Exactly! and he doesn't suffer fools gladly. His quiet nature belies a fierceness that I enjoy immensely..

• Love 6

I used to love Chris Matthews...looked forward to watching him every night.  Now he seems just a caricature...interrupting, spitting, etc.  Sure do wish they would move him to a different time slot...maybe replace Chuck Todd at 5.  I enjoy Ari Melbar at 6 and then thud.  There is Matthews.  Mr. Kemper and I have talked about a drinking game...every time Matthews shills his book, we take a shot of hard eggnog.  I do have to admire the fact that he has no shame...doesn't try and cover that he is pushing his book.  He is right out there with it.  Grudging admiration, anyway.

So, the news that he received a reprimand for a sexual harassment claim warmed my cold heart just a little bit.

• Love 6

Most influential in news media in 2017

Quite a few MSNBCers on the list. 

I was confused by the blurb on Joy Reid, though. 

Before becoming a lightning rod of controversy, thanks to recently unearthed blog posts that seem to include anti-gay comments directed toward then-Florida Governor Charlie Crist, Reid was set to have a conspiracy-free and banner year.

I haven't heard anything about this anywhere.

4 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

It was reported a couple of weeks ago.  The blog posts were from 2007-2009:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/msnbc-s-joy-reid-apologizes-insensitive-lgbt-blog-posts-n826091

MSNBC host Joy Reid issued an apology on Sunday for a series of blog posts nearly a decade ago, mostly critical of former Gov. Charlie Crist of Florida, that have been criticized as homophobic and “anti-gay.”

“This note is my apology to all who are disappointed by the content of blogs I wrote a decade ago, for which my choice of words and tone have legitimately been criticized,” Reid said in a statement shared with NBC News, which, like MSNBC, is owned by NBCUniversal.

Wait, what? Joan Walsh is a staple MSNBC contributor!

ETA
This feels like an unforced error on MSNBC’s part. Not only is there a #KeepJoanWalsh campaign going, but some pretty dope journalists are starting to ask what will probably be uncomfortable questions for the network. Thread ??

E(again)TA the denouement to this bit of drama
Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:08 PM, meowmommy said:

Most influential in news media in 2017

Quite a few MSNBCers on the list. 

I was confused by the blurb on Joy Reid, though. 

That website was pretty buggy on my computer at least. Also, I only saw a list of five -- Maddow #5 after Drudge, Hannity, Zuckerberg, and Fox And Friends. What kind of list is that?

I'm thrilled Ari is doing so well., too They should really put him in Matthews' spot, especially going into a year when trials like Manafort's will be in the news. Ari is pleasant, even goofy, but can be tough and persistent, while polite (and not interrupting all the time like Matthews!). Actually, most of their additions this year (Wallace, Velshi/Rhle, Mitchell Reports, Todd, even Williams) have been excellent.  I'm glad the ratings are validating it.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Padma said:

Also, I only saw a list of five -- Maddow #5 after Drudge, Hannity, Zuckerberg, and Fox And Friends. What kind of list is that?

You have to go down to the bottom of the page and click on other page numbers to find the rest of the list.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2017 at 8:37 PM, Kemper said:

Mr. Kemper and I have talked about a drinking game...every time Matthews shills his book, we take a shot of hard eggnog.  I do have to admire the fact that he has no shame...doesn't try and cover that he is pushing his book.  He is right out there with it.  Grudging admiration, anyway.

I just about lose it when he calls the book beautifully written . What other author has the vanity or steel to say that about their own book? 

I think the new guy on weekends, David Gura?, is mediocre at best.  I guess he replaced Thomas Roberts, who I always liked.  

• Love 2

We have enjoyed watching Steve Kornacki in the 7:00 time slot this past week...were looking forward to it last night.  But.  Instead, Chris was back....with a show that was probably pre-taped.  As soon as we saw his face, we switched channels immediately.  So, don't know if he used the last show of the year to mention his book.  The well-written book, by the way.  

I used to love his passion but I feel it is time he  was "given" a different time slot.  Ali Velshi at 7:00!!!

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, Kemper said:

We have enjoyed watching Steve Kornacki in the 7:00 time slot this past week...were looking forward to it last night.  But.  Instead, Chris was back....with a show that was probably pre-taped.  As soon as we saw his face, we switched channels immediately.  So, don't know if he used the last show of the year to mention his book.  The well-written book, by the way.  

I used to love his passion but I feel it is time he  was "given" a different time slot.  Ali Velshi at 7:00!!!

I used to love Hayes, and think of him as the "smartest person in the room". Not sure what happened, but I find him difficult to watch and listen to now. Love the idea of Velshi at 7:00, even Velshi & Ruhle.

13 hours ago, Padma said:

I used to love Hayes, and think of him as the "smartest person in the room". Not sure what happened, but I find him difficult to watch and listen to now. Love the idea of Velshi at 7:00, even Velshi & Ruhle.

I think the "little green monster" got to him because no matter how great his show is, Rachel's show is rated higher.  Or maybe he's having domestic problems, but his demeanor has definitely changed.

@Padma and @Medicine Crow, I wonder if we’re seeing the negative effects of this past year on Chris. During the election into the beginning of this administration, he seemed to take an . . . I guess academic view of what was happening. Like he would report the outrageous stories and discuss the information that was coming out, but he didn’t seem to actually believe that there was Russian interference and conspiring with the *rump campaign until reports of the *rump Tower meeting hit. I remember thinking that he seemed shocked that this stuff was probably real because I remember feeling frustrated that he was just getting it (especially when Rachel has been on this all along). IDK, it’s just a theory.

In, our next round of Seriously, MSNBC?:

Chris Hayes and his wife had baby #3 this week.

Why isn't Richard Painter on all day long? He should have his own show. I am riveted to the TV when he's talking.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 5

I love the name they chose --she's so cute!

On 1/3/2018 at 8:12 PM, netlyon2 said:

@Padma and @Medicine Crow, I wonder if we’re seeing the negative effects of this past year on Chris. During the election into the beginning of this administration, he seemed to take an . . . I guess academic view of what was happening. Like he would report the outrageous stories and discuss the information that was coming out, but he didn’t seem to actually believe that there was Russian interference and conspiring with the *rump campaign until reports of the *rump Tower meeting hit. I remember thinking that he seemed shocked that this stuff was probably real because I remember feeling frustrated that he was just getting it (especially when Rachel has been on this all along). IDK, it’s just a theory.

I am so glad you remember this too---Chris is all over the Russia story now but in the beginning, when Rachel and Lawrence were on the story I remember Chris and Ken Dillanian both kind of standing back as if they didn't really buy it.   

• Love 3

I began turning Chris Hayes off when he had his town halls, whether they were with Bernie, gun violence in Chicago, or yet another dive into what motivates the Trump voters.  He never seems to confront participants with facts. I find these town halls to be him just listening and nodding.  Where I think Chris excels is his segments featuring feminist contributors. 

I also have begun turning the channel whenever Lack's conservative idols Hewitt or Noonan appear onscreen to insult our intelligence. To hire them and then not have money to pay Joan Walsh is a travesty.

Brian Williams show is so much more watchable when there is a substitute host, Nicole, Joy, Ari or Ari.  Brian can easily be replaced.

• Love 4

Brian Williams show is so much more watchable when there is a substitute host, Nicole, Joy, Ari or Ari.  Brian can easily be replaced.

Brian *should* be replaced. He made up stories and passed them off as true. It doesn't get much worse for a journalist than that. His continued employment by NBC/MSNBC is shameful.

• Love 7

MSNBC has so many really good anchors and newspeople..I agree it was unnecessary and (to me, anyway)insulting to see them bring in Williams for breaking news.  I didn't realize they had eased up on that a little.  So....good on them.

• Love 1

Brian's show was in progress when McCain came in to the Senate well and did his famous thumbs down vote on OCare R&R.  I thought MSNBC was fortunate to have Brian on the air to cover the story and that he did good work. 

• Love 2

When I am home, I try to catch Nicole Wallace's show.  She is doing a really good job.  Is this the right place to post about her show?  She is on at a bad time. The few times I've been home, her show often seems to be at the same time as the WH press conferences or breaking news. I record Nicole's show but don't have time to watch it in the evenings.

Frankly, I would be happy never seeing Sarah Huckabee on my TV again, and put the TV on mute when the break ins occur for her press conferences.

• Love 2

Maybe they could give Nicole Wallace the 7 pm slot?  Between Chris Matthew's never passing an opportunity to shill his book, and the publicity last week from an old clip of him telling a sexist joke, he may be on his way out.  

Trouble is, right now I think Nicole has one of the best shows on MSNBC...her guests are terrific and she seems to have lost her snide conservative-ness.  I have to wonder if this will last when and if we have a regime change at the White House.  I have thrown out countless possible hosts for the 7pm slot.  Keep Chris, but put him on in the afternoon.  Or give him Meet the Press!  He would never let a reporter get a word in, plus we would get rid of Chuck Todd.  Whose hair, like Jim Jordan's, fascinates me.

• Love 1

Right now at the Noon hour, Kornacki started the hour filling in for Andrea Mitchell. Now Chris Matthews is hosting.  Just kinda strange. Was Steve in over his head or did Chris bitch behind the scenes that he wanted to anchor?   '