Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Kemper said:

Is it just me who flips the channel when Chuck Todd comes on?  

Not just you.  I detest Chuckie teh Toad.  He is an absolute master of the "both sides do it" false equivalency that infects mainstream political media and that provides a ready-made excuse for the racists, white nationalists, neonazis, and other below-human-lifeforms on the alt-right and the other below-the-skin criminals on the right.  

• Love 9

I think that Chuck Todd has to do a better job of disclosing his wife's financial dealings with various political campaigns. For example, he should have mentioned that his wife's firm was a client of Bernie Sanders during any interviews he had with him. He should also have disclosed organizing a party for Jennifer Palmieri.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/tim-graham/2016/10/26/nbc-chuck-todd-hide-wifes-kaine-donation-and-firm-getting-millions

Maybe it is just me...but has anyone noticed the resemblance between Steve Mnuchin's wife and Ivanka?  On his show today, Ari Melbar interviewed the young woman who got into the Instagram battle with The Wife on Instagram..  The young woman came off as so nice and decent...seemed nervous but not terrified to be on national tv with the wife of Sherrod Brown and someone else...can't remember.  So.  on a later show there was a more detailed story on The Wife with a lot of pictures.  She and Ivanka have...the same eyebrows...same nose...same blush/cheekbones..and basically the same hairstyle.  One of those things that make you go hmmmm.   

• Love 3

Wow!  Newsdump Friday is insane tonight.  Since I don't see any threads for Deadline White House with Nicolle Wallace or The 11th Hour with Brian Williams, I'm posting here.

Nicolle Wallace has turned out to be an excellent analyst if you can take her screechy voice.  And while Brian tends to be something of a bloviator, he can be quite humorous and snarky (like us).

Tonight, viewing MSNBC is like watching Molotov cocktails being lobbed over their heads.  Yeesh!  I'm opening another bottle of Three Buck Chuck.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Wow!  Newsdump Friday is insane tonight.  Since I don't see any threads for Deadline White House with Nicolle Wallace or The 11th Hour with Brian Williams, I'm posting here.

Nicolle Wallace has turned out to be an excellent analyst if you can take her screechy voice.  And while Brian tends to be something of a bloviator, he can be quite humorous and snarky (like us).

Tonight, viewing MSNBC is like watching Molotov cocktails being lobbed over their heads.  Yeesh!  I'm opening another bottle of Three Buck Chuck.

Yea, a crazy Friday night & definately things were happening while most of America was pre-occupied with real life, like surviving a Hurricane.  I really missed Rachel, but understand why she needs some time off.  Ari is OK, but his voice is rather monotone.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yea, a crazy Friday night & definately things were happening while most of America was pre-occupied with real life, like surviving a Hurricane.  I really missed Rachel, but understand why she needs some time off.  Ari is OK, but his voice is rather monotone.

I know what you mean about Ari's voice.  I have a secret fondness for him though because he was so kind and emotional interviewing the mother and disabled son during the ACA fight in Congress.

• Love 1

I am happy that Brian Williams & Bill Karins are focusing on the hurricane in Texas than  Trump's political shenanigans with Sheriff Joe & Gorka. That is a classic Friday night dump of bad news that I remember seeing on the West Wing.

• Love 4

Anybody else feel MSNBC reporters are sorely disappointed that there aren't millions of bodies floating around in Texas?  They stand there in their rainsuits and exclaim over a gust of wind, and seem reluctant to report that it's only Cat 1 now...but add hopefully it could escalate to something more horrible any minute now!

Not diminishing anything regarding people who are relocated and/or have property damage, but the reporting is ghoulish.

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 3

I hate to admit that I have enjoyed watching Hardball this week without Chris Matthews.  Steve Kornacki is ok hosting...but it seems the 7:00 hour would be prime viewing with people settling in after work..or settling in for the evening.  They tune in to catch up on what has happened during the day with politics and they get Chris...who won't let anyone talk and is venturing into "unwatchable" territory to me.  I have been tuning in to CNN for that hour.  Maybe move Ali Velshi or Joy to that slot.  I know that Chris is a fixture...and has earned his place over the years.  But like some others (Chuck, Andrea)..maybe it is time for a change.  Andrea Mitchell, maybe more than some, has earned her stripes and has aggressively gone after Rex Tillerson...still has a lot to contribute.  Just not an entire hour...every day.  I cannot think of a single thing that would make me watch Chuck Todd.  Other than maybe Hugh Hewitt being my other choice.  And I also have not missed Stephanie Ruhle this week.  I love aggressive reporting..love a reporter who is like a dog with a bone.  But I just cannot stand a reporter who is in-your-face and abrasive.  You do not have to do that to get your story.  Please...no yelling, spitting, gesturing, and mugging for the camera.

• Love 6

I was watching storm coverage on The Weather Channel where most of the field correspondents are experienced meteorologists (one guy said it was his 50th hurricane/tropical storm). 

Then I switched to MSNBC, where Brian Williams (ugh indeed) was talking to Jacob Soboroff, whose weather qualifications I think consists of interviewing millennials in a windy Brooklyn park.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I was watching storm coverage on The Weather Channel where most of the field correspondents are experienced meteorologists (one guy said it was his 50th hurricane/tropical storm). 

Then I switched to MSNBC, where Brian Williams (ugh indeed) was talking to Jacob Soboroff, whose weather qualifications I think consists of interviewing millennials in a windy Brooklyn park.

... now THAT'S funny ... LOL!!!

• Love 4

I know that Ali Velshi needed a break, but why on earth would MSNBC think Brian Williams is the go-to guy?  Don't they have anyone else who is qualified to interview reporters/meteoroligists who are standing out in the wind and rain?  The fake gravitas and "serious, concerned" face of Williams makes me switch to CNN.  Who at least have on the meteorologist who I have loved forever...Chad something...can't think of his last name off-hand. Chad used to be on all the time in the mornings but has been replaced/usurped by "weathergirls" in full hooker make-up who keep popping up on the cable channels.  I think/hope these young women are qualified meteorologists, but why must the networks tart them up?  Yes...young men perk right up.

• Love 2

Earlier today Brian Williams interviewed the acting Secretary of Homeland Security and he just had to insert that she was "acting" because Kelly, the former Secretary, is now Chief of Staff.   There was no need for him to even say that since the discussion was about the hurricane, not about her status.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I know that Ali Velshi needed a break, but why on earth would MSNBC think Brian Williams is the go-to guy?  Don't they have anyone else who is qualified to interview reporters/meteoroligists who are standing out in the wind and rain?  The fake gravitas and "serious, concerned" face of Williams makes me switch to CNN.  Who at least have on the meteorologist who I have loved forever...Chad something...can't think of his last name off-hand. Chad used to be on all the time in the mornings but has been replaced/usurped by "weathergirls" in full hooker make-up who keep popping up on the cable channels.  I think/hope these young women are qualified meteorologists, but why must the networks tart them up?  Yes...young men perk right up.

Chad Myers!!

17 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Earlier today Brian Williams interviewed the acting Secretary of Homeland Security and he just had to insert that she was "acting" because Kelly, the former Secretary, is now Chief of Staff.   There was no need for him to even say that since the discussion was about the hurricane, not about her status.  

Sometimes Brian's need to tell you everything he knows goes waaaay to far & today was one of those times.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Sometimes Brian's need to tell you everything he knows goes waaaay to far & today was one of those times.

Yeah I remember during the Comey hearing he had to point out Preet Bhahara in the audience and say, "Those of you in (name of small town) Kansas would be forgiven if you didn't know he was the former United States attorney in Manhattan...." He managed to be a pointless know-it-all AND a pretentious snob at once.

And btw, given that Rachel M discussed Bhahara a lot, there was a great chance the "little people" knew who he was. What a way to condescend your network's audience, chief.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Well, since S.E. Cupp had her own meltdown, I think she's got some nerve making fun of O'Donnell.  Pot, meet kettle. 

Not sure whether you're referring to the "secretly taped" security footage of her office meltdown (contained in this video), or a genuine meltdown (which this "secretly taped" footage tacitly acknowledges), but either way, she seems to admit to her own vulnerabilities here.

29 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

but either way, she seems to admit to her own vulnerabilities here.

And O'Donnell apologized, so I don't see why she's mocking him when she's had her own "vulnerabilities."

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

And O'Donnell apologized, so I don't see why she's mocking him when she's had her own "vulnerabilities."

I can see how one could interpret her as being out to damage O'Donnell by not letting sleeping dogs lie, but it seems to me one can interpret her as having a more generous motive, along the lines of "there but for the grace of God go any of us who withstand the pressure of live TV on a daily basis." At least that's how I interpret the piece.

• Love 1

Has Elise Jordan been ill or something?  I just saw her being interviewed with some guy from Huff Post who said he was so thankful that Elise was back with them.  Both Alex Witt and Elise looked uncomfortable.

I think Kasie is great and I wish her every success but there would have been no way in hell I would have sat down to watch an interview with Ryan. If her stable of guests is going to consist mostly of people in Congress (and that's her beat) there is no way people are going to spend a Sunday evening with those goons.

• Love 10

I would think that with the higher MSNBC ratings lately, they would be able to afford extra on-air personnel to fill-in when the regulars are absent.  Ari Melbar does double duty lots of times..last night he did his show at 6:00 and then sat-in for Lawrence O'Donnell at 10:00.  Joy Reid does this a lot, too.  Can't they put some fresh faces on when the regulars are going to be off?  MSNBC has a great bench..why don't they use them more often.

• Love 4

Had a long meeting this morning and listened to people moan and groan.  It has made me grumpy...so..  Saw a clip of Kasie Hunt's show where she interviewed Joe Manchin.  I don't know why the networks give people their own show on the weekends  or any time/day for that matter (Ari Melbar for awhile...Kasie, etc.) and then they turn around and have the same hacks .. meaning political hucksters, advisors and reporters on every single show. I don't care anything about what Joe Manchin thinks on anything...Mitch McConnell...Eugene Robinson (and I am a full-on progressive)..Mark Halperin.. Lindsey Graham, Chuck Shumer, Rand Paul, Nancy Pelosi, etc.  And a lot of the print reporters..although without them digging into the hucksterism I don't know where our country would be.

Just once, I would like to see Joy Reid..Joe S..Rachel (although she hardly ever has these people on her show...she does have a wonderful platform for new voices and uses it often)..Lawrence O'Donnell.. etc etc.  Why couldn't Kasie have a group of teachers...nurses..high school coaches..military spouses, etc. on and let them tell us about their lives and struggles.  I would love to hear from some classroom teachers, principals, school-crossing guards,  waitresses, RNs, receptionists, people from all walks.  Tell us how they manage in this economy..how is their health care..what do they feel their pupils, patients, are missing out on due to economic obstacles, transportation obstacles.  No partisanship allowed.  Just tell us what living in America means to you and want you would like to see changed.

It is kind of like my frustration with the Women's March (which I attended)...don't put celebrities up on stage and tell us their views...don't put politicians up there.  We all know how they feel.  Put real people on and let them talk. 

Is it me? Have I just gotten so fed-up with the cable networks (and the regular outlets, too) taking the easy route and booking people who will always always always show up to get their face time.  So much hot air.  

• Love 2
On 10/23/2017 at 1:08 PM, Kemper said:

I don't care anything about what Joe Manchin thinks on anything...Mitch McConnell...Eugene Robinson (and I am a full-on progressive)..Mark Halperin.. Lindsey Graham, Chuck Shumer, Rand Paul, Nancy Pelosi, etc.  And a lot of the print reporters..although without them digging into the hucksterism I don't know where our country would be.

I think the DC in Kasie's title says it all, though.  They want to stress the DC insider's angle. And considering her day job on week days is being the Congressional correspondent, it's probably her forte. I can't blame her for that.

Plus, Sunday night is ultra competitive from a ratings standpoint, so getting the big names out of the gate is probably a must.  If the show takes off, I can see them varying the guest bookings and maybe getting more creative. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, car54 said:

Katie Tur returned from her wedding today--she looks really happy.   I've missed her!  She wore a red wedding dress--https://wonkette.com/625119/who-wore-this-red-wedding-dress-best-katy-tur-or-katy-tur

Thank you!  I was thinking I had completely missed the buildup to the wedding, but I see that they eloped!  It is a beautiful dress, and it looks like a joyous start. 

I did not notice she had been gone! 

• Love 3

I am really tired of anchors/political people coming on one another's show to shill their books.  If I have to listen to Chris Matthews,one more time, swoon over Bobby Kennedy and shout that his book is "Number One on Amazon" or some such...I will scream and scare Mr. Kemper and the cats.  Lawrence O'Donnell was on someone's show last night to push his book; I think Thomas Friedman was on with Arms Mitchell today with the paperback edition of his book; Donna Brazille who is everywhere.  And then there is Meek-a pushing her "Know Your Value" schtick.  For the most part, I like these people (with the possible exclusion of Meeka most days) like their shows and like to hear their opinions.  And I know it is a natural thing to want to push your product.  But I think I reached my tipping point with Matthews last week; now I am sick of all of them.  No matter how good their books/opinions might be.  It is almost like their day jobs are just what they have to do to sell their product.  Especially Know Your Value.  Who wouldn't have a best seller if they were allowed to promote their book/product on at least one show per day for weeks.  Did I mention Know Your Value?  lol  

I wish Chris Matthews would take a nice, long vacation.  And I have always liked him.  I won't wish a vacation on Joe and Meeka because they seem to just pop in and out of their show.  We should all be so lucky.

Don't know why I am so grumpy...should still be basking in the glow of the election news and coverage.  

• Love 8

Chris Matthews was on Ari Melbar's "The Beat" this evening (again!) promoting his book; that is the second time that I know of where he has been shilling on that particular show.  It has gotten embarrassing.  Wish someone would put a halt to that.  Once is more than enough.  And he has been on Every Show at least Once! plugging that book.  I wanted to read it but at this point I am already sick of it.

• Love 4

I guess we'll see what happens next week. I always liked Robert. It wouldn't surprise me if he was out though since they haven't seemed to know what they wanted to do with him after cancelling his show last year.

• Love 3