Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'm not a big fan of Joy Reid's (not a fan of a few other MSNBC hosts either) but I do wonder how much longer the network is going to go along with the drip drip drip of more stuff that comes out about her.  So basically, if they do wind up canning her, I won't mind.   

• Love 1

I am tired of the Joy Reid drip-drip, too.  There is so much breaking, big news every day, that the last thing the network needs, I would think, is an anchor-person controversy.  I am surprised they haven't cut their losses. I saw where the ratings for Ari Melbar's show are doing well and that he is beating CNN in the timeslot.  So there is that.

On the other hand...Chris Matthews.  All week he has been plugging the RFK documentary that the network will air on Sunday night.  I told Mr. Kemper this evening that I was sure he would plug his book.  And sure enough.  Do any other networks let their anchors shamelessly promote their outside activities?  

There's Chris with his book and then Joe and Meeka with 1) his music and 2) her book and KYV tour(s).  AND they don't even work 5 days a week most weeks.  Also, as we have discussed, he (Joe) can't even appear in the studio most of the time.  The reporters and anchors on MSNBC seem to have lots of perks but maybe they do on CNN, too.  

• Love 5

The Joy Reid situation sort of reminds me of the Melissa Harris-Perry blunder. Although I find Joy more likable and more knowledge about the stories.

I don't mind Chris Matthews talking about his books and currently the RFK documentary. Lord knows we would be lucky to have him (or someone like him) around today. It's important to me that people remember that a politician with conviction actually existed.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, Kemper said:

I am tired of the Joy Reid drip-drip, too.  There is so much breaking, big news every day, that the last thing the network needs, I would think, is an anchor-person controversy.  I am surprised they haven't cut their losses. I saw where the ratings for Ari Melbar's show are doing well and that he is beating CNN in the timeslot.  So there is that.

On the other hand...Chris Matthews.  All week he has been plugging the RFK documentary that the network will air on Sunday night.  I told Mr. Kemper this evening that I was sure he would plug his book.  And sure enough.  Do any other networks let their anchors shamelessly promote their outside activities?  

There's Chris with his book and then Joe and Meeka with 1) his music and 2) her book and KYV tour(s).  AND they don't even work 5 days a week most weeks.  Also, as we have discussed, he (Joe) can't even appear in the studio most of the time.  The reporters and anchors on MSNBC seem to have lots of perks but maybe they do on CNN, too.  

I wonder if Joy Reid will have to publicly apologize again for trashing John McCain. MSNBC has made a big deal of Trump's attacks on McCain, so it is bad timing for Joy's blog post to come out now. Meghan McCain was upset at her dad being compared to the Virginia shooter.

I wonder if Cackles Wallace & Steve Schmidt, who were part of McCain's campaign  will be forced to repudiate their fellow co worker , Joy Reid. ?

If they stay quiet, they are being hypocrites, since they always pounce on Trump or anyone else that attacks John McCain.

I was watching RFK on the CNN 1968 series. It is so sad that he was killed in June 1968. I think he could have beaten Nixon & become President at the end of 1968.

Edited by oakville
  • Love 2

A.M. Joy was absent one ingredient this morning:  Joy.  I wonder what this means.  Is she in a time-out until this latest storm blows over, or is she being "gradually fired", as in, various other people subbing until we realize she isn't coming back.

Jonathan Capehart helmed today's show and I really enjoyed it.  Joy has been getting incrementally more hyper in her delivery over the last year or so, and it's been getting under my skin a bit.  Sometimes it would grate so badly that I'd change the channel.  And I was a huge Joy fan when she first came onboard at MSNBC.  I'm trying to figure out what happened.  Jonathan's delivery was much easier on the ears, but I just love him anyway.  Plus he's such a smart dresser, as shallow as that observation may be.  It was a good show today; I wonder what TPTB thought of it. 

• Love 5

I really like Jonathan Capehart, too.  MSNBC is in danger of being called "hypocritical" by other networks and media by not being more pro-active on this.  I hate for anyone to lose their job (except Joe and Meeka and maybe Chris Matthews) but I am afraid it may be time for Joy to go.  This "drip-drip" is taking a toll on what MSNBC is trying to stand for and on the other anchors if they continue to stay quiet and voice support.  It is not pretty, but unfortunately that's the way it is.  Just my opinion.

Sorry, forgot to mention the most important thing (to me).  Every time I see Joy now, I think about what she said in her blogs.  Not about how she is covering the news or how much I may like or admire her.  Yes, I think it is great that she has apologized and expressed how she was in a different place back then.  That is admirable.  But I still can't get what she said out of my head when I see her show.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

A.M. Joy was absent one ingredient this morning:  Joy.  I wonder what this means.  Is she in a time-out until this latest storm blows over, or is she being "gradually fired", as in, various other people subbing until we realize she isn't coming back.

Joy announced yesterday, with Jonathan standing right next to her, that she was going to a conference in Hawaii and that he would be subbing for her today.

Jonathan announced at the end of today's show that Joy would be back next week.

I do love Jonathan, too.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I would love it if Jonathan took over Joy's spot.  

Jonathan used to be a regular panelist on Morning Joe , but he has not appeared in a few years. I think Joe got mad at him for something. Morning Joe also refuses to bring back Harold Ford Jr. Al Sharpton is rarely on anymore. EddieGlaude comes on Morning Joe regularly, but Joe always interrupts him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Joy announced yesterday, with Jonathan standing right next to her, that she was going to a conference in Hawaii and that he would be subbing for her today.

Jonathan announced at the end of today's show that Joy would be back next week.

I do love Jonathan, too.

Thanks for that info; I didn't know she's made announcement about her absence. 

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't complain at all if MSNBC decided to give the show to Jonathan. 

• Love 1

Count me in as another one who's always liked Jonathan Capehart. I've missed seeing him as often on MSNBC since he quit getting booked on Morning Blowhard Joe. Him not appearing on that show is probably a good thing for him considering the state it's been in for quite awhile. I wonder if MSNBC is trying to stick with Joy through this because of how the Melissa Harris-Perry debacle played out? Hasn't the stuff so far that's been dug up about Joy been from 10yrs ago or more? 

I admit to still missing MHP's show. 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, SierraMist said:

It's my easy to take history lesson of the day and usually stuff I didn't know. 

I can see that, but take, for instance, her recent lengthy discourse on Watergate.  It would have been more interesting to me if Jill Wine-Banks and other guests who were actually involved in Watergate or a historian who has written on Watergate were involved for their first-hand knowledge.  Just saying.  It's a matter of taste. 

• Love 2

They should give Johnathan Capehart a chance. I always liked him and felt that they were to quick to get rid of some of the African American hosts. Melissa Harris Perry was cooky but Toure should've stayed. Toure can build a audience since he is in tune with the young demographic. Ari Melber ain't doing it for me with the hip hop obsession, in fact he took at lot of Toure's style when they use to be on The Cycle together.  Ari trying to be hip is cringeworthy.  If Nicole Wallace can get her own show then why not Johnathan. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Carmen Sandiego said:

Ari Melber ain't doing it for me with the hip hop obsession, in fact he took at lot of Toure's style when they use to be on The Cycle together.  Ari trying to be hip is cringeworthy. 

Agreed.  I liked Ari when he first had his show, but now he's trying waaaay too hard to be "hip" and it is, indeed, cringeworthy.  I can't stand to watch him anymore because of it. 

• Love 4

I don't know what it will take for MSNBC to shed itself of Joy Reid (sorry, I like her, but...) and Chris Matthews.  At least Joy Reid has self-awareness.  Matthews is a loud, insensitive bully.  He should be called on the carpet for trying to shill his book at every opportunity.  Every. Opportunity.  He is completely out of touch and is living off his maybe reputation of 10-20 years ago.

As for Ari Melbar...love him most of the time; I am a senior citizen so the rap/hip-hop entertainers and references go over my head. But.  At least he is trying something different that seems close to his heart.  I also read that his ratings are up and beat CNN in the timeslot.  

And a real puzzler for me...why do some of these reporters/media people go on Twitter?  I saw where Meeka twitted something hypocritical and then got blasted and called out for hypocrisy from other twittlers.  Why would these people run the risk of being shamed?  Is it only MSNBC people?  Only JoeMeeka?  I wonder how the network feels about their employees (albeit rich, influential ones) taking to twitter and maybe/possibly embarrassing the network or putting it in an uncomfortable position?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I don't know what it will take for MSNBC to shed itself of Joy Reid (sorry, I like her, but...) and Chris Matthews.  At least Joy Reid has self-awareness.  Matthews is a loud, insensitive bully.  He should be called on the carpet for trying to shill his book at every opportunity.  Every. Opportunity.  He is completely out of touch and is living off his maybe reputation of 10-20 years ago.

As for Ari Melbar...love him most of the time; I am a senior citizen so the rap/hip-hop entertainers and references go over my head. But.  At least he is trying something different that seems close to his heart.  I also read that his ratings are up and beat CNN in the timeslot.  

And a real puzzler for me...why do some of these reporters/media people go on Twitter?  I saw where Meeka twitted something hypocritical and then got blasted and called out for hypocrisy from other twittlers.  Why would these people run the risk of being shamed?  Is it only MSNBC people?  Only JoeMeeka?  I wonder how the network feels about their employees (albeit rich, influential ones) taking to twitter and maybe/possibly embarrassing the network or putting it in an uncomfortable position?

His "competition" is Wolf Blitzer in my neck of the woods, so I'm watching Ari, no matter what his style, he's nice to look at ... even when he's doing his "terrorist look" (scruff).

• Love 4

I love Ari's "terrorist look"....makes him look a little pirate-y! lol  I may try Chris Cuomo's new show when Rachel makes my eyes glaze.  Doesn't happen often, though.  I haven't watched Wolf Blitzer much in years; since his glory days seem to be years ago, is he another Matthews?  I always switch to Erin Burnett at 7.  To it's credit, MSNBC  seems slow to pull the trigger on it's employees.    

• Love 2
11 hours ago, stormy said:

I'd be a watcher of a show hosted by Toure.  I'm always happy when he shows up occasionally.

6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Agreed.  I liked Ari when he first had his show, but now he's trying waaaay too hard to be "hip" and it is, indeed, cringeworthy.  I can't stand to watch him anymore because of it. 

5 hours ago, stormy said:

Plus I guess he's an attorney but I just don't find him lawyer worthy. MSNBC stole Danny Cevallos off CNN, leave the legal stuff to him.

If I was head of MSNBC, I would bring back Toure in a heartbeat. He was not bad in fact he lit up the daytime lineup alongside Krystal Ball on The Cycle. 

Ari really thinks he is hip but he is really suburban. The only thing helping Ari is that he has a legal beat and we have a US President who has a lot of legal conflicts of interest. Would you much rather watch the former attorney or a regular journalist give you the legal scoop. 

• Love 2

Someone needs to come up with MSNBC Guest Bingo. They use the same ones all the time. Joyce Vance....Jill Wine Banks, Malcolm Nance, Matt Lewis, Nick Ackerman......BINGO!  Yawn.  Come on, bookers, expand your Rolodexes.

• Love 3

I love Jill Wine Banks; Joyce Vance, too.  I always learn a little something when they are on; and if luck holds, they are on with a host who lets them talk and fully answer a question instead of interrupting.  It's fun looking at the different brooches on Jill; and Joyce is no-nonsense.  I think she (Joyce) was on one night - can't remember which show - and someone had done some really fancy make-up on her.  It was jarring; and I don't think I ever saw her all made-up again.  She looked nice, though.

I saw Jennifer Rubin last night on...can't remember which show...and she was all hair and make-up upped.  She looked fantastic!

• Love 3
On 2018-06-05 at 1:38 PM, Medicine Crow said:

His "competition" is Wolf Blitzer in my neck of the woods, so I'm watching Ari, no matter what his style, he's nice to look at ... even when he's doing his "terrorist look" (scruff).

Watching Wolf Blitzer is like watching paint dry.  Is he the best they can do in that time slot?

• Love 2
On 6/3/2018 at 11:11 AM, Ladyrain said:

Jonathan Capehart helmed today's show and I really enjoyed it.  Joy has been getting incrementally more hyper in her delivery over the last year or so, and it's been getting under my skin a bit.  Sometimes it would grate so badly that I'd change the channel.  And I was a huge Joy fan when she first came onboard at MSNBC.  I'm trying to figure out what happened.  Jonathan's delivery was much easier on the ears, but I just love him anyway.  Plus he's such a smart dresser, as shallow as that observation may be.  It was a good show today; I wonder what TPTB thought of it. 

Wow, Ladyrain, once again I find that you and I are kindred spirits! ITA about Joy being hyper - I hate it when she speaks at break-neck speed.  I used to enjoy watching her, but no longer. And I also have really liked Jonathan Capehart for a long time.  I don't think your comment about his appearance is shallow at all; I happen to share your opinion about his sharp dress.  I've often mused that his mother must be very proud of him.

And to those others who have commented about Ari Melber, I used to really like him even before he had his evening program, but I have been totally turned off by his constant "musical" references.  I say "musical" because hip-hop is apparently the only kind of music he knows.  In addition, his "jokes" are awful!  He seems to want to insert some levity here and there, but his attempts usually only baffle his panelists (and me).  Note to MSNBC:  I watch your network for the POLITICS, not hiip-hop references.  Don't care for the "Fall Back" segments either.  So I usually just watch the first part of Melber's program, then switch off as soon as he starts quoting JayZ or whoever.

• Love 5

I agree with the comments about Ari Melber, but I did like his segment with Sam Nunberg.  He looked too excited to be on the show and spill his guts, and it looked like Ari was trying to calm him down and prepare him for how a contributor acts/speaks, if he is to be one.  

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, HyeChaps said:

What Melber is to hip-hop, “Tweety” Matthews is to film.

Melber is to hip hop what is George Will to baseball. You just know Will was picked last for the team at recess and he's overcompensating.  Basically Will was probably Ogilvie from "The Bad News Bears", the kid who knew all about the game but couldn't play it.

• Love 3

Hugh Hewitt announced that today is his last show though he will remain a contributor on MSNBC?  Has his show ended due to poor ratings?  We mostly change the channel or keep the TV off when he is on.

• Love 7

Lol, I leave this channel on at the end of the night and it's usually just on when I wake up and turn on the TV and on Saturdays that means I wake up to this maroon and when he said that it was his last show I thought I was still kind of dreaming. Not that Saturday at 8:30am was a killer time slot. I remember a few months ago during that one-day shutdown him trying to make "Schumer Shutdown" a thing. Lol. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Lol, I leave this channel on at the end of the night and it's usually just on when I wake up and turn on the TV and on Saturdays that means I wake up to this maroon and when he said that it was his last show I thought I was still kind of dreaming. Not that Saturday at 8:30am was a killer time slot. I remember a few months ago during that one-day shutdown him trying to make "Schumer Shutdown" a thing. Lol. 

I leave it on overnights too and have woken up to Hugh's unpleasant looking face on more then one occasion. Not the most pleasant sight to see first thing in the morning on the weekends. I think I may have tried watching a couple times and couldn't last longer then a few minutes. 

Ever since that loan business with Alex Witt a few years ago I've seen her in a different way too. She "borrowed" a good chunk of money from a now former friend and the friend had to take her to court. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, stormy said:

Honestly I wish they would dump Alex Witt. I find her unwatchable.

What is the tea on Alex? There are a couple of people who I find enjoyable on the weekends. I feel they should get more air time and they could give them shows that covers the resistance and the many ways that 45 has awaken people to engage in our democracy. I like Kasie DC.

• Love 1

Hugh Hewitt was a bad fit for MSNBC.

I wonder what they'll do with his half hour?

I'm sorry to say they'll probably just lump it in with Alex Witt's show. :(

Doesn't make a difference because Smirconish is on CNN.

Glad to see HH go.  He's the audio equivalent of paint drying.   And the visual  equivalent of Voldemort.

I wish Alex Witt (or Twitt, as I call her) would be next.  Can't stand her Meryl Streep over-dramatized delivery.  (No offense to Meryl, who I love.)   And I agree with @Jaded:  When I read about the friend having to take Twitt to court to recoup the thousands of dollars she lent her for her kid's European school trip, that basically told me everything I needed to know. 

Ari's constant hip hop and rap references make me uncomfortable, if only because it looks like he's trying waaaay too hard to be cool.  I don't doubt that he likes the genre and knows far more about it than I, but for some reason he just embarrasses himself when he tries to prove that to us.

• Love 4

It's weird that MSNBC has so many unlikable show hosts.

We barely scratched the surface.

We don't need to go down the Andrea Mitchell Chris Matthews road!

• Love 5
(edited)
54 minutes ago, stormy said:

It's weird that MSNBC has so many unlikable show hosts.

We barely scratched the surface.

We don't need to go down the Andrea Mitchell Chris Matthews road!

Yes we do ?.  Fits-and-starts Mitchell; spittle spewing Matthews.  Their personal tics drive me nuts but I watch anyway.  Go figure.  By the way, why does Chris bother having guests on his show at all?  He never lets them talk.  And if they manage to shoe horn in a sentence or two he cuts them off at the knees.  It's so disrespectful and rude.  I often wonder why anyone agrees to to even go on Hardball.  Don't even get me started about his on-air burping.  ?

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 8

I've wondered about those same things with Chris Matthews.

But I don't watch him (I prefer Erin Burnett) and Andrea Mitchell isn't even someone I care to listen to as a guest on another show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I wish Alex Witt (or Twitt, as I call her) would be next. 

I call her that too!

1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

By the way, why does Chris bother having guests on his show at all?  He never lets them talk.  And if they manage to shoe horn in a sentence or two he cuts them off at the knees.  It's so disrespectful and rude.  I often wonder why anyone agrees to to even go on Hardball.

As rude as Chris Matthews is interrupting guests, he's nowhere near as bad as Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe.  I had to stop watching that show because I couldn't take it anymore.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

As rude as Chris Matthews is interrupting guests, he's nowhere near as bad as Joe Scarborough on Morning Joe.  I had to stop watching that show because I couldn't take it anymore.  

Oh boy, I hear ya!  But I can't look away from that train-wreck either.  Both he and Mika drive me CA-RAZY!!!! but just in case their little love affair goes *poof* right on air someday, I don't want to miss it.  He's an insufferable know-it-all, she's a simpering snooze ("Know Your Value", my ass) and - not that this is at all surprising - she's buddies with Alex Twitt. 

• Love 4

Hewitt’s show had a bad time slot plus a tv show is a bad format for him. I don’t agree with him politically at all but he’s a good long form interviewer. Plus he posts transcripts of those interviews so I never have to listen.

Is there really no thread for "Meet the Press"?

Also, there appears to be no general thread for comments on guests anchors MSNBC.  Chris Jansing is guest host at "Meet the Press" today, and on many other shows (guest anchor), but I can't find the place to remark on this. 

• Love 2