Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I have to say that Chris Hayes is still my favorite of the MSNBC hosts. I think he does a better job having a conversation about issues and he cares more about immigration, criminal justice and other issues that impact minorities more. He also makes it a point to have a diverse line-up on his shows. Rachel's show is so focused on Russia and she leans so heavily on the same white male voices over and over again, that I am losing interest in her show. 

But, I'll take Rachel over Joy Reid any day. I have to turn off Rachel and Chris's show when she is substitute hosting. I never forget her lies and BS she spread during the primaries against Bernie and O'Malley. I don't even like Bernie but man she really pushed some BS for Clinton. 

I still miss Alex Wagner and wish she'd come back. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was really disappointed to "accidentally" tune in to Dateline:  Washington with Nicolle & her all-star guest line up in the last ten minutes of the show.  Nice promotion MSNBC!!!

Was this on Saturday?  BTW, there was a great article about Nicolle in the New York Times last week.  Will try to find it and post link.  

9 hours ago, pivot said:

I have to say that Chris Hayes is still my favorite of the MSNBC hosts. I think he does a better job having a conversation about issues and he cares more about immigration, criminal justice and other issues that impact minorities more.

I watched him the other night, and he was talking so fast and mumbling so much that I had to give up.

Remember the "fast-talker" from that Fedex commercial of a few years back? It seems like that's become a trend among cable news anchors. Are they afraid they won't get to say everything on their minds if they don't spit it out at rapid-fire pace? Did some consultant advise all these networks that fast-talking equals "high-energy"? Whatever the reason, articulation suffers mightily, and it's annoying.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, jjj said:

Was this on Saturday?  BTW, there was a great article about Nicolle in the New York Times last week.  Will try to find it and post link.  

Yes, it was last night at 8:00 (mountain).

Oops, forgot to say that someone posted the article last week ... I think on The View's "Nicolle Thread".  It was very good!!!  (I'm SO happy for her!!)

Edited by Medicine Crow
More to say.
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was really disappointed to "accidentally" tune in to Dateline:  Washington with Nicolle & her all-star guest line up in the last ten minutes of the show.  Nice promotion MSNBC!!!

I think that was a repeat (Friday's show), even though my guide said new.  My guide also had a "new" Hardball listed after Nicolle's show.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lb60 said:

I think that was a repeat (Friday's show), even though my guide said new.  My guide also had a "new" Hardball listed after Nicolle's show.

Okay, thanks.  I only saw the last fifteen minutes of her Friday show, so I couldn't tell.

• Love 2

I normally don't watch Stephanie Ruhle's show because she's too excitable or something, but I caught a bit of it this morning.  Ron Insana was speaking and she replied, "dingo dingo dingo!"--and he and the other guy whose name escapes me, looked at her like she was crazy.  She really should just stick to financial reporting.

I gotta say - Kristen Welker has the most gorgeous coats.  I look forward everyday to see what she's going to be wearing.  So superficial, I admit.  She's also a great reporter and I appreciate her journalistic talents.........but damn, those coats.  I'm going to miss them when Spring rolls around.

Hallie Jackson has been bugging me for some time now, ever since they gave her a show.  What I never noticed, when she was reporting from the field, was what a freaking fast-talker she is.  Ratatatatatatat fast.  Half the time I can't even decipher the words, it's all one big blur of syllables.  And she's a champion interruptor, asking a question and then jumping in to answer it herself, stealing all the thunder from her guests.  She's the female equivalent of Chris Matthews, minus the burps and flying spittle.

I love Kaisie Hunt and her new show, Kaisie DC.  She's a great reporter and host who deserves every promotion she gets.  Just the fact that she puts up with Joe Scarborough's  juvenile (and disrespectful) ribbing, with the lightning bolts and his AC/DC voice whenever she guests on his show, is a testament to her maturity. 

Katy Turr is kind of neutral for me.  Don't love her, don't hate her.  She's good, not great.  I am enjoying her book, 'Unbelievable', though.  She put up with a lot on the campaign trail, so points for that, for sure. 

All in all, I like MSNBC's roster of up and coming reporters and hosts, men and women.  YMMV.

• Love 4

Oh, believe me, I worship at the altar of Rachel Maddow.  I have ever since her very first appearance on MSNBC years ago.   In fact, I live in her neck of the woods and am always on the alert when we're out and about.  As much as I'd try to keep my composure, I'd probably faint dead away if we ever crossed paths.  Regarding Nicolle, I always felt like she drifted into this job, after working in the W White House, baby-sitting Palin, and sitting at The View Table.  I really like her, but I was mostly referring to the journalists coming up the ranks at NBC/MSNBC. 

Thomas Roberts seems to have disappeared, sadly, and I also miss Krystal Ball (what were her parents thinking?!)   I am not on the Joy Reid bandwagon, as many are, though.  She's just a bit over the top for me sometimes, and the parade of wig styles has me a bit befuddled, as do some of her wardrobe choices.  All petty grievances, to be sure, but when some things are so glaring, I can't help but take notice.  I don't necessarily dislike her, but small doses must be taken.  ?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Oh, believe me, I worship at the altar of Rachel Maddow.  I have ever since her very first appearance on MSNBC years ago.   In fact, I live in her neck of the woods and am always on the alert when we're out and about.  As much as I'd try to keep my composure, I'd probably faint dead away if we ever crossed paths.  Regarding Nicolle, I always felt like she drifted into this job, after working in the W White House, baby-sitting Palin, and sitting at The View Table.  I really like her, but I was mostly referring to the journalists coming up the ranks at NBC/MSNBC. 

Thomas Roberts seems to have disappeared, sadly, and I also miss Krystal Ball (what were her parents thinking?!)   I am not on the Joy Reid bandwagon, as many are, though.  She's just a bit over the top for me sometimes, and the parade of wig styles has me a bit befuddled, as do some of her wardrobe choices.  All petty grievances, to be sure, but when some things are so glaring, I can't help but take notice.  I don't necessarily dislike her, but small doses must be taken.  ?

You're right, IMHO ... Nicolle DID "drift" into her current job, but not without "showing her stuff" on the Williams & Wallace Show.  She was perfect with him & showed how much she knew & could contribute.  She has an endearing innocence with respect to her Kartrashian ignorance which, I think, ups her game immensely.  Go Nicolle!!!

• Love 4

I've had the opportunity to watch a bunch of MSNBC daytime programming, and really like Velshi & Ruhle.  I like him better than her, but together, he helps tone her down a bit, and it really looks like they enjoy working together and have a lot of fun.

• Love 10

Perhaps it's because outside of MSNBC, I'm not sure how highly thought of Nance's work is? From what I can tell, he has no faculty appointments at any university and his "think tank" is small (does he have anyone else at it other than himself?) and his website is amateurish and hasn't been updated in over a year. His appearances on MSNBC have always puzzled me.

• Love 1

I usually enjoy Nicole Wallace's "Deadline Whitehouse"  and am disappointed when it is preempted by a press conference.  However...

I got really annoyed today, listening to Nicole and Michael Steele whine about "poor them" because they have been ostracized by their party.  There is NO whining on cable tv...it is unseemly. I remember the days when Nicole (usually on Morning Joe) and Michael Steele had no problem joking about and criticizing Obama in really really negative, snarky tones and comments.  I think the nickname for Nicole on MJ was Cackles.  She used to cackle and joke about him (Obama) all the time.

Now it is "poor them" and how awful it is to be them, politically.  Spare me.  They get paid millions of dollars for what they do; they get to be on the airwaves (with her, Monday - Friday) and pontificate.  I find Nicole's show to be smart and funny.  Except for today.  I am also exhausted by the Michael Steele Redemption Tour on Every. Single. Show.   You are in an uncomfortable place right now...but you are able to have a platform to fight back.  Not everyone is so lucky.  Let's just all of us get over ourselves.  

• Love 11

Of course Michael Steele was picked because he was Black, to pretend the Repugs aren't racists, the same reason they picked Alan Keyes to run against Obama in his Senate campaign. Wikipedia says, "many in the GOP saw him as a charismatic counter to the nation's first black president" (apparently the Repugs have a different definition of "charismatic").  Michael Steele was just a "useful idiot."

• Love 6

I wish MSNBC would change their programming on weekend mornings.  They have Morning Joe on for three hours every weekday (CNN and Fox! have the same thing during the week).  The shows flow and you know what you are getting for three hours.  On the weekends, it is more of a patchwork quilt.  On Saturdays they have Hugh Hewitt for maybe an hour?  Then Al Sharpton for an hour?  On both Saturday and Sunday?  Then Joy Reid for ... two hours?  Why don't they have an MJ-like show (without Mr. Blowhard). Going maybe from 7-10?  A group of reporters sitting around with coffee and such.  Didn't Steve Kornacki do this early on weekends a couple of years ago?  Or maybe 6-9.  They could have a fixed host with a couple/three regulars and then guests. Maybe some fresh faced reporters.  I'd tune in.

• Love 3

And what's with Velshi & Rhule being on Sat. for a lousy half hour ? Weekdays she has an hour show , he has an hour show and then the ultimate -- they team up for an hour show. A half hour is just not enough.

• Love 3

What is it with Chuck Todd and Jim Cramer and the brother/buddy "see how cool we are" sign-off?  (This was on MTP Daily.)

I don't give a damn if they're friends, drinking buddies, neighbors, whatever.  There should be at least a modicum of professionalism on these shows. 

• Love 1

Is there no kind-hearted soul backstage at MSNBC who could dissuade Joy Reid away from some of her more unfortunate on-air wardrobe choices?  This morning's ensemble is particularly jarring.  I can't stop staring at it, to the point of not paying attention to what is being said.  -   I kind of like Joy, though she can get a little carried away sometimes. However, I like how she doesn't suffer fools gladly and won't let them get away was their usual line of BS that other hosts tolerate.  She's tenacious in challenging the right-wing BS artists; not afraid of talking over them or not shutting up when they try to talk over her.   (Oh, but that striped thingy she's wearing is hurting my eyes).

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm getting fed up with the number of commercials on MSNBC & CNN.  Anyone else?

That's why I long ago stopped watching their programming live; not only the number but the timing of the commercials led me to record and replay almost exclusively.

• Love 1

Stephanie Ruhle did something cool today.  All her guests were women. She said she did this because tomorrow is International Women’s Day and she wants to encourage her colleagues to book female guests tomorrow. As Ruhle pointed out, her guests spoke on all sorts of economic and political issues, not just ones that news programs trot out a woman to talk about, so there’s no excuse why women should not be more represented on news shows.

• Love 7

I think there are already quite a lot of women presented on news shows, especially on MSNBC.  In fact, I'm seeing more and more new women now, even more than new men.  

• Love 1

Was watching Stephanie Ruhle this morning during a discussion of the Tillerson firing.  She sat back and let her guests talk among themselves about it!  It was a really good discussion and everyone got to speak.  There were a couple of times when I wasn't even sure there was an actual host; that is because the guests were having such a good give-and-take.

But possible danger ahead!  If left alone, John Kasich will completely take over a show.  But.  I really enjoyed the segment with her and the three guys.  I think it was three.  And she looked fabulous in a white top/dress.  Let her and Alie Velshi host the 6-9 time slot; they could replace MJ.  Allie? (sp?)

• Love 4

Wow. MSNBC keeps throwing to the reporter on the scene of the Washington DC student protest....during the 17 minutes of silence to honor the victims! Reporter says I want to be respectful but then has to talk for several minutes, while she is in with the students having the moments of silence!

• Love 5
On March 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Ohwell said:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

I wish Chris Matthews could do the same. It will never happen. I've been watching him (and MSNBC) for years and the older he gets, the worse he gets. What I wouldn't give for Keith to come back. I was really liking Ari Melber, but I think he's getting a little too full of himself lately. Rachel is my bae. 

Edited by Cajungirl64
Sorry.. I don't know why my formatting is all off...
  • Love 2

Boy Peter Alexander is a poor substitute for Nicolle Wallace. That hour dragged today. It really makes you appreciate how good she is as host/moderator. She makes it look easy, but it's obviously a specific skill set.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

Did anyone catch George Will on Chuck Todd's show yesterday.  He made a hilariously wry comment about Karen McDougal wearing a diamond-encrusted cross & saying she "wasn't that kind of girl".  Enough said ... LOL!!!

(Although, I must say that when a woman sleeps with a married man on the first date, she IS "that kind of girl".  FWIW!!!)

• Love 4

I thought MSNBC did a good job of covering the "March for our Lives" coverage...the young speakers were so inspiring and eloquent.  But, Chris Matthews had a show afterwards in which he was interviewing attendees, but he was driving me crazy with his silly comments and as mentioned above, by talking over his guests...I had to turn him off.

• Love 6
On 3/24/2018 at 2:07 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone catch George Will on Chuck Todd's show yesterday.  He made a hilariously wry comment about Karen McDougal wearing a diamond-encrusted cross & saying she "wasn't that kind of girl".  Enough said ... LOL!!!

George Will really got on my nerves in the same interview  with how dismissive and rather contemptible he viewed the pending March For Our Lives rallies. We don't need "laws by teenagers" and statistically it's just not a big problem.  I was rather stunned. Howard Fineman , to his credit, looked like he wanted to throttle him. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7

MSNBC seems to loosing some of my favorite panelists.

First I noticed John Dean was popping up on CNN. Then Joan Walsh got picked up by CNN after being dumped by MSNBC. Tonight Erin Burnett had Richard Painter on her show.

I'm glad I know where to find them.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, stormy said:

MSNBC seems to loosing some of my favorite panelists.

First I noticed John Dean was popping up on CNN. Then Joan Walsh got picked up by CNN after being dumped by MSNBC. Tonight Erin Burnett had Richard Painter on her show.

I'm glad I know where to find them.

OMG, I love Richard Painter & look forward to seeing him on MSNBC.  Gawd, don't tell me I have to watch CNN with those crazy Repub pundits to see him.  Bummer!!!

• Love 5
On 2/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, Ladyrain said:

I gotta say - Kristen Welker has the most gorgeous coats.  I look forward everyday to see what she's going to be wearing.  So superficial, I admit.  She's also a great reporter and I appreciate her journalistic talents.........but damn, those coats.  I'm going to miss them when Spring rolls around.

Hallie Jackson has been bugging me for some time now, ever since they gave her a show.  What I never noticed, when she was reporting from the field, was what a freaking fast-talker she is.  Ratatatatatatat fast.  Half the time I can't even decipher the words, it's all one big blur of syllables.  And she's a champion interruptor, asking a question and then jumping in to answer it herself, stealing all the thunder from her guests.  She's the female equivalent of Chris Matthews, minus the burps and flying spittle.

I love Kaisie Hunt and her new show, Kaisie DC.  She's a great reporter and host who deserves every promotion she gets.  Just the fact that she puts up with Joe Scarborough's  juvenile (and disrespectful) ribbing, with the lightning bolts and his AC/DC voice whenever she guests on his show, is a testament to her maturity. 

Katy Turr is kind of neutral for me.  Don't love her, don't hate her.  She's good, not great.  I am enjoying her book, 'Unbelievable', though.  She put up with a lot on the campaign trail, so points for that, for sure. 

All in all, I like MSNBC's roster of up and coming reporters and hosts, men and women.  YMMV.

I like Kasie Hunt, she is cute, she does her job well and not trying to be all fancy or trying to chase after anything. She is herself which is why I like her.

Katy Tur is where she is cause she took a lot of abuse from the Trump campaign. She got thick skin so she she gets points from me. 

Kristen Welker is truly the hidden gem of the female campaign reporters. She has great style, temperment and very professional. I like her more then Hallie Jackson, and MSNBC should give Kristen the 10AM time slot. Hallie has fallen off the radar for me,  Kristen Welker does a great job on NBC Nightly News and I can see why she is there on a more consistent basis then the other white house correspondents.

Kristen gets to the point whereas Hallie has gotten enamored with herself and new found rise in her career. She talks to much when I watch her on Nightly News, lucky that Lester is such a gentleman cause I don't think he can tolerate that much dribble on a nightly basis.  I watch her sometimes at 10AM and I have to change it in 15 minutes. I don't think she is really that sharp which is why she is so hyper. I don't think she is ready to go the next level in career.  They need to give Kristen more play or have her replace Craig Melvin or Hallie Jackson, she is really good.

On 3/20/2018 at 7:36 PM, vb68 said:

Boy Peter Alexander is a poor substitute for Nicolle Wallace. That hour dragged today. It really makes you appreciate how good she is as host/moderator. She makes it look easy, but it's obviously a specific skill set.

Don't like Peter that much, he is kind of smug and shows his bias sometimes. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

OMG, I love Richard Painter & look forward to seeing him on MSNBC.   Gawd, don't tell me I have to watch CNN with those crazy Repub pundits to see him.  Bummer!!!

He was just on MSNBC a few minutes ago.  I wonder if CNN had him on because he is kicking around a run for the Senate from Minnesota?

• Love 1

I love Richard Painter,too.  I heard a comedian gushing over him recently...saying Painter "is Elvis"...and he is!  He is sincerely, truly, righteously indignant most of the time.  Mr. Kemper and I always stop chatting when Painter comes on.  

• Love 7

I don't believe Richard Painter (love!) is exclusive to MSNBC.  Some commentators are, some are not.  David Corn, for example, I think is, except for now while promoting his new book.  I've only seen Ana Navarro on CNN.  I also saw Painter this morning on MSNBC, but I've seen him before on CNN.  Exclusives are usually introduced as MSNBC contributors (along with a bajillion other credits for some of them) and some have it listed in their twitter bios.  I wonder if it has something to do with how, or if, they are paid for appearances.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/30/2018 at 2:24 AM, Carmen Sandiego said:

Kristen Welker is truly the hidden gem of the female campaign reporters. She has great style, temperment and very professional. I like her more then Hallie Jackson, and MSNBC should give Kristen the 10AM time slot. Hallie has fallen off the radar for me, 

It's hard for me to remember that Hallie is the Senior White Correspondent when Kristen seems much more omnipresent there handling the briefings and most of the live updates. Hallie has a tendency to disappear after her 10:00 am anchoring duties.  She may or may not turn up on Nightly News. But Kristen is also just as likely to have a story on there, too.  Still the Senior position was only available anyway because Katy Tur had enough and didn't want it. I kinda wonder if Hallie and Kristen flipped a coin. Not really, but I do think it had to be a little awkward that it was a sloppy seconds position. 

On 3/30/2018 at 2:24 AM, Carmen Sandiego said:

They need to give Kristen more play or have her replace Craig Melvin or Hallie Jackson, she is really good.

Likewise it's odd to me that Craig Melvin still has the 1:00 hour. He's not there more often than he actually seems able to show up for it with whatever his other responsibilities are for the Today Show. I never see that, so I don't know. But it's sorta ridiculous that it seems like  Chris Jansing or someone else is always filling in for him.

Edited by vb68