Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Alex was back in one of her regular slots today. :(

I looked at her Wiki page yesterday and forgot she had been on MSNBC since 1999. Her hair is ridiculous and looks heavy as hell.

I didn't watch Joy's show today. I did tune in long enough to see her wig and sweater. I agree about the sweater being distracting and her wig needed to be styled better.

I miss seeing Toure and Jonathan Capehart more regularly. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, Joy's sweater.  My eyes!  Also, I don't understand the wigarama mess that she goes through.  Just stick with one wig that looks good.

And speaking of hair, I just want to grab a large pair of scissors, chase Alex Twitt around, catch up with her, pin her down, and whack all those extensions off. 

Today the extensions were multi-colored.  At least they covered up the cleavage.

• Love 2

Reverend Al was on The Beat today and he just announced that his show is moving to 5 pm on both Saturday and Sunday nights.   Not sure if it will be an hour or half-hour.  I think his current show was only half.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, car54 said:

Reverend Al was on The Beat today and he just announced that his show is moving to 5 pm on both Saturday and Sunday nights.   Not sure if it will be an hour or half-hour.  I think his current show was only half.

Yay!!  Good for Rev. Al!!!

• Love 3

While I know that some people don't like comments about how people look, I just wanted to say that Andrea Mitchell looks really lovely today in that blue dress and gold necklace.

Edited by Ohwell
Forgot the "how"
  • Love 5

I was watching Katy Tur (I think she was subbing for Chuck Todd) and I think she had a nose job.  A very good one, to be sure.  Very natural looking, not Michael Jackson-ish at all.  Just the right amount of tweaking. 

Some very nauseating CNN! Election! Night! In! America! promo spots got me looking into how MSNBC was promoting their election night coverage this year.  They're using the phrase "The Vote (for) America's Future" to brand not only that coverage, but also apparently general day-to-day pre-election coverage as well.

Here's a 15 second spot:  "And, whatever happens, we'll be here to make sense of it."

This is good!  A calm female voice.  Folksy yet serious.  A reassuring message.  (And, the total opposite of CNN's rushed and macho "Wrestlemania" 15 second spot.)

Here's a 30 second spot with different anchors (and Mika) stating key issues: "Immigration. The Economy. Gun Control. The Environment.  Education. Our Democracy." But, bait-and-switch!  It's promoting Morning Joe.

(Uh, where's "Healthcare"?)

And, a 30-second spot for MSNBC's "Road Warriors" that's about actual reporting!

The only real negative I can say about these "The Vote" spots is that they made one promoting Kornacki and his board.

(Warning: All these videos have 10 second bumpers at the beginning for the industry blog that uploaded the videos.)

Edited by Just Here
clarity
  • Love 1

MSNBC will have live programming on Saturday night this week due to the upcoming election---Stephanie Ruhle, Ari Melber and Lawrence's shows will be live--I think the promo said starting at 7 pm,

• Love 1

What's with Kasie Hunt and Katy Tur wearing those awful huge glasses?  Do they think it makes them look more intelligent or gives them gravitas?  Kasie, in particular, has one eye bigger than the other one and those glasses just highlight that fact.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

What's with Kasie Hunt and Katy Tur wearing those awful huge glasses?  Do they think it makes them look more intelligent or gives them gravitas?  Kasie, in particular, has one eye bigger than the other one and those glasses just highlight that fact.

Mr. Kemper was commenting on that very thing today! He said he always thought that one of Kasie's eyes was larger than the other but wasn't sure until he saw her wearing the big glasses.  They magnified it; maybe smaller frames would not.  But I think big frames are in style right now.  Both Kasie and Katy have gorgeous hair.

• Love 4

A couple of days ago Katy mentioned that she was getting a lot of criticism on twitter for the two tone frames she wore that day.

A couple of years ago, I complained that it was such a slow news day that MSNBC had live helicopter coverage of a literal dumpster fire in LA.

I miss those days.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

How did I not know this forum existed?  Sigh, so much time to make up for.  MSNBC has brought on some really terrific talent lately with my favorite being David Gura.  Funny, smart, engaging, well prepared and provides snacks for his guests.  What's not to love (plus he and his wife are expecting a baby any day now, squeee!)?

• Love 3

Yeah, I like to po

8 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

How did I not know this forum existed?  Sigh, so much time to make up for.  MSNBC has brought on some really terrific talent lately with my favorite being David Gura.  Funny, smart, engaging, well prepared and provides snacks for his guests.  What's not to love (plus he and his wife are expecting a baby any day now, squeee!)?

I like to pop in here once in a while to catch up on all the other MSNBC hosts that don't get the daily love of our "favorite" show hosts! 

• Love 3

I was amazed that MSNBC, in the middle of a federal government shutdown, decided that they would start "Dateline" early on Saturday afternoon, instead of the usual repeats of the Friday news shows.  I knew it was too much to expect them to program live news, but they ran away from all news.  I despise "Dateline"! 

On 12/20/2018 at 1:58 PM, xaxat said:

A couple of days ago Katy mentioned that she was getting a lot of criticism on twitter for the two tone frames she wore that day.

Katy wore amazingly bad glasses earlier this week -- gigantic, with big metallic decorations at the top edge of the frames.  I can't imagine how anyone let her go on the air with those. 

Edited by freddi
  • Love 2

I just looked Jonathan up and saw how old he is. I know it's said that a lot of black people appear younger than they really are but I thought at most he was in his late 30's. It doesn't matter how young or old he is to me I was just surprised.

• Love 2

Hallelujah. FOX is losing viewers and MSNBC is gaining them - most watched cable channel last week. Rachel Maddow has been pulling big numbers for awhile but it looks like as a whole MSNBC is going really strong.

News

December 26, 2018

MSNBC IS THE #1 CABLE NEWS NETWORK FOR WEEK OF DEC. 17, BEATING FOX NEWS FOR 1ST TIME IN 17 YEARS

MSNBC Dominates Cable News in Sales Day (M-F 6a-2a) with Total Viewers, Finishing #1 for the Week and Topping FOX News for 1st Time Since 2000; MSNBC Also Tops FOX News in A25-54 for 1st Time Since 2001

MSNBC Prime (M-F 8-11pm) Continues to Lead Both FOX News and CNN in Total Viewers and A25-54 for the 4th Straight Week

“The Rachel Maddow Show” is the #1 Cable News Program in Total Viewers and A25-54 for the Week

“The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” and “The 11th Hour with Brian Williams” Are #1 in Both Total Viewers and A25-54 for the Week

“MSNBC Live with Ali Velshi,” “Deadline: White House” and “Hardball with Chris Matthews” Are #1 in Total Viewers

NEW YORK (December 26, 2018) – MSNBC finished the week of December 17, 2018 as the #1 cable news network in the key demographic of A25-54 and total viewers during M-F 6am-2am, according to Nielsen data for the week of December 17-21.

MSNBC dominated during the sales day (M-F 6am-2am) time period last week, averaging 1,558,000 total viewers, the network’s 1st time in the #1 slot since the week of September 25, 2000. FOX News averaged 1,541,000 and CNN averaged 975,000. This was the 1st time MSNBC beat FOX News in the time period since November 6, 2000. In A25-54, MSNBC delivered 269,000, besting FOX News’ 259,000 and just ahead of CNN’s 268,000. This was MSNBC’s largest viewer delivery in the daypart since the week of July 2, 2001. This was the 1st time MSNBC beat FOX News and the 1st time FOX News ranked #3 among the cable news networks in this daypart since October 8, 2001.

In prime (M-F 8-11pm), MSNBC continued to lead FOX News and CNN in both total viewers and A25-54 for the 4th straight week. Last week, MSNBC prime averaged 2,578,000 total viewers (vs. FOX News’ 2,240,000 and CNN’s 1,398,000) and 471,000 viewers A25-54 (vs. FOX News’ 355,000 and CNN’s 415,000). With only one week left in December, MSNBC is on track to finish as the #1 cable news network in the daypart across total viewers and A25-54.

“The Rachel Maddow Show” at 9pm finished the week as the #1 program across all cable news. “Maddow” averaged 3,213,000 total viewers (vs. FOX News’ 2,313,000 and CNN’s 1,456,000) and 621,000 viewers A25-54 – nearly doubling FOX News (vs. FOX News’ 343,000 and CNN’s 433,000). “The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell” at 10pm averaged 2,388,000 total viewers (vs. FOX News’ 2,001,000 and CNN’s 1,300,000) and 428,000 viewers A25-54 (vs. FOX News’ 315,000 and CNN’s 397,000). “The 11th Hour with Brian Williams” at 11pm averaged 1,836,000 total viewers (vs. FOX News’ 1,268,000 and CNN’s 988,000) and 351,000 viewers A25-54 (vs. FOX News’ 239,000 and CNN’s 315,000.

Three MSNBC programs also bested FOX News and CNN among total viewers for the week: “MSNBC Live with Ali Velshi” at 3pm (1,249,000 vs. FOX News’ 1,153,000 and CNN’s 931,000), “Deadline: White House” at 4pm (1,738,000 vs. FOX News’ 1,320,000 and CNN’s 1,121,000) and “Hardball with Chris Matthews” at 7pm (1,926,000 vs. FOX News’ 1,744,000 vs. CNN’s 1,261,000).

Note: Nielsen ratings data for the week of December 17-21, 2018. Olympics programming excluded

• Love 10
21 hours ago, car54 said:

They had Elise Jordan host Nicole's show today--I thought she did a pretty good job.

She's on again today, substituting for Nicole.  I wonder if MSNBC is going to offer her a full time slot.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, izabella said:

She's on again today, substituting for Nicole.  I wonder if MSNBC is going to offer her a full time slot.

I don't know--I think they gave most of the regular hosts the week off --last week Katie Tur was talking to Ali Velshi during their hand-off and they said it was going to be all hands on deck this week covering for people who took off.    I like seeing some new faces --and I always like when they bring in people like Yasmin and Chris Jansing.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I noticed all the "big guns" (regular hosts) ... Nicolle, Ari, Chris, Chris & Rachel were on today with high energy & entertaining shows, while other cables channels were not!!!  Just sayin'.

I think all the Monday (Christmas Eve) shows were taped in advance.  They were all revisiting issues from the past year, and I don't think any referred to the government shutdown.  It's  nice that they tried to put on something "new", but to me it was just stale when there is so much happening.  Thank goodness for newspapers to keep us updated.   

MSNBC has really changed the evening lineup this week -- no "11th Hour with Brian Williams," but a repeat of the shows of Chris-Rachel-Lawrence starting right after Lawrence's show (which has Ari Melber this week).  Then at 2:00 AM (11:00 PM on the West Coast), they are repeating "Hardball" (with Kornacki) and "MTP Daily" (with Tur).  I guess they did not want to replace Brian, or maybe they were out of guest hosts!  Nicolle Wallace has been a great guest host for Brian, but she is on vacation this week.  

This really is the week when all the shows have guest hosts, but they always seem to keep one regular host on the air -- and this week, it is Chris Hayes.  

5 hours ago, stormy said:

The reformat of the board has moved All In With Chris Hayes. It's now under Other A Shows.

Yes, it took a while to find it!  Of course that was a show I wanted to post in, the same day or so that it moved.  Should have looked here first! 

• Love 2

I am loving all the substitute hosts this past week or two.   It's refreshing to see some new faces, and honestly, some of them do better than their A-team counterparts.   MSNBC is doing a fabulous job with its diversity of hosts.  Also, I was overjoyed to read above about MSNBC leading in the ratings and clobbering Fox (well, at least, besting them).   Right now, in fact, a young woman named Morgan Radford is hosting (as she did earlier in the day) and is doing a great job.  I've seen her in the field before but this is the first time I've seen her anchoring the desk.  And Yasmin V. has been all over the place lately, which I'm loving.  I do believe she's a rising star over there, and deservedly so.  

Some of the veteran hosts should be looking over their shoulders.  Chuck Todd drives me nuts; he always looks disheveled and he can't seem to start a sentence, stammering, restarting, hemming, hawing.   I literally scream at the TV.   I (sorta) like Chris Matthews, but I think his time has come and gone.   He's forever losing his train of thought, mispronouncing words and names, and he's downright rude to any and all guest with his  constant shouted interruptions.  Time to go.   And I like Andrea Mitchell, I really do, but it takes her forever to spit out a sentence.  

Oh well, just my rambling thoughts.  Hope I haven't offended anyone with differing views. 

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 8

There was also a black guy I'd never seen before hosting this morning, I think his last name was Babatunde (or something like that).  I forgot who he was subbing for.  Anyway, while in the beginning you could tell he was a bit nervous, he hit his stride and he was very good.  Plus, he had a good sense of humor with the panel.  

I do like that MSNBC is trying new hosts because it is time for some of the older ones to retire, or just come on the other side of the table as contributors once in a while (not too often though). 

Elise Jordan sounds like an eight year old. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

There was also a black guy I'd never seen before hosting this morning, I think his last name was Babatunde (or something like that).  I forgot who he was subbing for.  Anyway, while in the beginning you could tell he was a bit nervous, he hit his stride and he was very good.  Plus, he had a good sense of humor with the panel.  

I do like that MSNBC is trying new hosts because it is time for some of the older ones to retire, or just come on the other side of the table as contributors once in a while (not too often though). 

Elise Jordan sounds like an eight year old. 

Yeah, I'm not on the Elise Jordan train so much.  She's fine as a guest, but host?  Not so sure.  The woman never blinks;  how does she do that?? 

And Yes!  That guy this morning subbing for David Gura was great.  I really liked him.   I think Gura was off because his wife just had a baby; they showed a picture of him (the baby, Malcolm, if I recall.  Cute).

Another one I like is Stephanie Ruhl.  She's got a pretty strong personality and maybe isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she's got a good combination of smarts, self-confidence and humor.  I just wish she'd curb her very bad habit of constant interrupting.  

Kristen Welker is another one who subbed over the holidays and did a great job.  I don't know why she doesn't have her own show yet Hallie Jackson does. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Another one I like is Stephanie Ruhl.  She's got a pretty strong personality and maybe isn't everyone's cup of tea, but she's got a good combination of smarts, self-confidence and humor.  I just wish she'd curb her very bad habit of constant interrupting.  

I want to like Stephanie but she does have a strong personality that grates on my nerves, and she's another one who is constantly interrupting her guests.  However, I think she does best when she does the financial reporting, which is her background.

I missed the first few minutes so I didn't know that David Gura's wife had a baby, so congratulations to them.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I love Stephanie Ruhle; she is a breath of fresh air after the staleness of MJ.  Just my opinion...I know she comes on kind of strong.  Maybe she is the Anti-Mika.  

Anti-Mika.  Love it.  SR is a woman who truly knows her worth.  Meeks could learn a thing or ten from her!  ---   I don't watch enough CNN to know, but it seems like MSNBC has more female reporters and hosts, and more people of color.  But I could be wrong. 

Has Morning Joe ever had Rachel or Stephanie on as guests?  I don't recall ever seeing them there; they both seem to be the type of women who would intimidate both Joe and Mika.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 2

I do think that MSNBC has more female reporters and anchors than CNN does; don't know about Fox.  Maybe CNN does have more but I maybe don't watch it enough to know.  I think of Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon.  There is a Poppy and a Brooke.  

I always enjoy the handover from MJ to Stephanie Ruhle.  It's like a breath of energy comes onto the screen.

• Love 3

Katy Tur is kind pissing me off today.   She sounds almost argumentative with her guests, even when they all seem to be on the 'same side'.   Then she jumps right in when someone is trying to finish their point, and she will not back down when they continue talking until they're finished.  When she decides she wants to start talking then come hell or high water - or a guest who is already speaking - she's gonna start talking, dammit!   I don't view this as being a strong woman, if that indeed is what she (and many of her co-horts) is doing.   I just see it as rude.  And the men are just as guilty.  I wish they'd have etiquette meetings at MSNBC.

• Love 5