Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The guy who I asked about yesterday from Ari's show was Julius Krein.

I'd request a forum for his show so things could be discussed from it but I'm not sure how much action it would get. 

I was surprised too when Rachel said she would be on Joy's show tomorrow morning.

Was it just me or was Katy Tur (subbing for I forget who; she was subbing for absolutely everybody yesterday) being especially hostile to Michael Avenatti last night?  To me, it sounded like she was trying to start an argument with him.  And since I have a mad crush on him, that didn't sit well. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

Was it just me or was Katy Tur (subbing for I forget who; she was subbing for absolutely everybody yesterday) being especially hostile to Michael Avenatti last night?  To me, it sounded like she was trying to start an argument with him.  And since I have a mad crush on him, that didn't sit well. 

She was subbing for Lawrence when that occured. I agree with you about her attitude last night. I'm not sure what she was trying to accomplish.

• Love 1

Alex Witt this morning...really pretty, loose blue top.  But.  She was kind of popping cleavage!  

And maybe Rachel Maddow has been brought in to possibly boost Joy's ratings; they have dropped since the controversy.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Alex Witt this morning...really pretty, loose blue top.  But.  She was kind of popping cleavage!  

And maybe Rachel Maddow has been brought in to possibly boost Joy's ratings; they have dropped since the controversy.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but cleavage on newswomen diminishes their seriousness, in my opinion.  Just as it would with any male anchor, sitting there with his shirt opened to his navel, or a weatherman turning around and showing his butt-crack.  But the men don't do that, which infuriates me when the women do.  I realize this may not be a popular opinion - and I most assuredly do not wish to start an argument.  But I just had to get that off my chest.  Pun intended.

p.s.  Alex is not one of my faves, for multiple reasons, so this only added to the list.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Everybody is trying to be like Lawrence and Rachel, they have a nice chemistry. They tease each other support each other and are having fun doing it. It is organic. 

I agree, but even they can take it too far.  I don't watch Rachel, I watch Lawrence, and sometimes I find myself yelling "get on with Lawrence's show!"

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree, but even they can take it too far.  I don't watch Rachel, I watch Lawrence, and sometimes I find myself yelling "get on with Lawrence's show!"

I hear ya.  I watch Rachel (love her and her 'tutorials') but that extended hand-off is too much even for me.  When it's Lawrence'e turn, it's his turn.  (I love him, too).  I think I read somewhere that when they occasionally would do that, TPTB got such positive feedback that they more or less instructed Rachel and Lawrence to make that a regular thing.  Sometimes it goes on so long that I get uncomfortable. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I hear ya.  I watch Rachel (love her and her 'tutorials') but that extended hand-off is too much even for me.  When it's Lawrence'e turn, it's his turn.  (I love him, too).  I think I read somewhere that when they occasionally would do that, TPTB got such positive feedback that they more or less instructed Rachel and Lawrence to make that a regular thing.  Sometimes it goes on so long that I get uncomfortable. 

I agree that TPTB must have said that the handoffs are good for keeping viewers tuned into the channel at the hour change.  I got screenshots of Katy's three (3!) handoffs yesterday, and they tell the story of when it is a good idea and when it is not.  Will try to post later today.  I hope MSNBC is paying attention to where the handoffs actually make the viewers look away! 

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

They should keep it short and sweet.  If it goes on too long, then it stops being spontaneous and organic.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

They should keep it short and sweet.  If it goes on too long, then it stops being spontaneous and organic.  

I agree.  When they go on and on, I find myself thinking this means that Lawrence's guests will by necessity be cut off for lack of time.   And sure enough, often a block of LOD's show is rushed and the guests don't get to complete their thoughts.   If Rachel and LOD want to have a discussion, they should book each other for their shows, although in general, I really hate when anchors are used as guests.  

On 7/21/2018 at 7:10 AM, Ladyrain said:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but cleavage on newswomen diminishes their seriousness, in my opinion.  Just as it would with any male anchor, sitting there with his shirt opened to his navel, or a weatherman turning around and showing his butt-crack. 

What bothers me even more than cleavage is the current trend of women wearing sleeveless tops/dresses.  It's probably because I'm of a certain age when women just did not dress that way for work.  It just seems very unprofessional, especially compared to the men still there in their suits and ties. 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:07 AM, Ladyrain said:

Was it just me or was Katy Tur (subbing for I forget who; she was subbing for absolutely everybody yesterday) being especially hostile to Michael Avenatti last night? 

I won't watch when Katy Tur subs.  She did MTP Daily all week and of course she does it every Monday.  I liked her when she was just a reporter, not so much as an anchor.  Her visibility during the 2016 campaign led TPTB to push her, I think, beyond her actual skillset.

• Love 5
On 21/07/2018 at 10:10 AM, Ladyrain said:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but cleavage on newswomen diminishes their seriousness, in my opinion.  Just as it would with any male anchor, sitting there with his shirt opened to his navel, or a weatherman turning around and showing his butt-crack.  But the men don't do that, which infuriates me when the women do.  I realize this may not be a popular opinion - and I most assuredly do not wish to start an argument

Well, your opinion is popular with me!  Mary Richards wouldn't dress that way!  

The eye gravitates to the cleavage.  What's wrong with a blazer?  I prefer separates to dresses, too.  So there!

3 hours ago, meowmommy said:

What bothers me even more than cleavage is the current trend of women wearing sleeveless tops/dresses.  It's probably because I'm of a certain age when women just did not dress that way for work.  It just seems very unprofessional, especially compared to the men still there in their suits and ties. 

Absolutely, although I don't like the cleavage.  Oh, and skirts at mid-thigh & skin tight, bare legs.  You aren't there to be sexy.  You are there to report the news!  

BTW - did anyone see a recent "Inside Edition" where they showed women in "work appropriate" clothing?  I was appalled.  NO - they weren't work appropriate!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, meowmommy said:

<snip>

I won't watch when Katy Tur subs.  She did MTP Daily all week and of course she does it every Monday.  I liked her when she was just a reporter, not so much as an anchor.  Her visibility during the 2016 campaign led TPTB to push her, I think, beyond her actual skillset.

Alex Witt is also fond of the "cold shoulder" look, which is really inappropriate, both for the show and her age, in general.

When I saw that Katy was subbing for LOD, I switched over CNN for Don Lemon's first hour.  There's just something about Katy - her voice perhaps - that I can't watch her for long. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Well, your opinion is popular with me!  Mary Richards wouldn't dress that way!  

image.png.3206ffca9f63b2b3610ec606c792343f.png

Now the day Rachel Maddow comes in in a sleeveless, low cut number is the day you'll find me on the floor, foaming at the mouth.  Because civilization as we know it will have come to an end.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Tunia said:
7 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Alex Witt is also fond of the "cold shoulder" look, which is really inappropriate, both for the show and her age, in general.

And did you check what Andrea Mitchell was wearing the other day when she interviewed Dan Coats?  Seriously?  

• Love 2

I think I shared in this thread before that my Mom took to calling Andrea "Arms" because of all the sleeveless stuff she always wore then and still wears now. 

Alex Witt's wardrobe and pageant hair only add to things that annoy me about her besides her personality. MSNBC looses a lot of my viewership on the weekends due to all the hours they have her filling.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

And did you check what Andrea Mitchell was wearing the other day when she interviewed Dan Coats?  Seriously?  

Yeah, that too!  She's a little long in the tooth for the "younger than springtime" look.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I actually thought that dress was quite cute & youthful on her.  Her bursting out laughing was delightful!!!

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I actually thought that dress was quite cute & youthful on her.  Her bursting out laughing was delightful!!!

I completely agree -- I think I commented on her dress above, on the day of the interview.  It was a very fresh looking dress, and it worked for the more casual atmosphere of Aspen.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I actually thought that dress was quite cute & youthful on her.

1 minute ago, jjj said:

It was a very fresh looking dress, and it worked for the more casual atmosphere of Aspen.   

It's a pretty dress, but I'm still of the opinion that it was too young for her.  I couldn't tell what the length was, but I hope it was below the knee.

• Love 1

I loved Andrea Mitchell's dress, too.  It was youthful; but the interview was so engrossing to watch, I didn't mind all that much.  I'll bet it was short because most dresses of that style (with the kind of full/baloon-y skirts) are above the knee.

I don't mind Katy Tur all that much; other than when she sometimes tosses her hair (which is gorgeous).  I am always overjoyed to see her subbing for Chuck Todd; I am overjoyed when anyone subs for him.  Actually, I am overjoyed when anyone subs for Chris Matthews...especially Steve Kornacki.  Whether you like him or not, there is something about his style that I love.

I wish someone cut about about 8 inches from Alex Witt's hair.  At least. Why on earth does she have so much airtime on weekend mornings?  I don't watch much MSNBC on weekends; don't know if it is exhaustion from the political stuff during the week or that their programming is so awful.  A combination of Alex and Joy Reid is an automatic channel-changer.  I wish they would give Jonathan Capeheart a block on weekend mornings.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Actually, I am overjoyed when anyone subs for Chris Matthews...especially Steve Kornacki.  Whether you like him or not, there is something about his style that I love.

I'm glad you love him, because for me, he is completely manic.  I can't listen to him for more than two seconds, especially when he's pinging off his election maps.  And I will never get over him repeatedly and maniacally predicting landslides in 2016.

I'd be overjoyed, too, though if someone subs for Chris Matthews, except that I still won't watch Hardball.

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I loved Andrea Mitchell's dress, too.  It was youthful; but the interview was so engrossing to watch, I didn't mind all that much.  I'll bet it was short because most dresses of that style (with the kind of full/baloon-y skirts) are above the knee.

What's funny is that I was really surprised when she did a segment on All In much later in the day and had the same dress on.  Somehow I expected her to have changed into another outfit.  Must have watched too much Downton Abbey.

• Love 1

Guess I'll chime in with my opinion of Andrea Mitchell's interview with Dan Coats.

I only watched because I was fascinated to see Coats seemed like a laid back congenital guy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stormy said:

Guess I'll chime in with my opinion of Andrea Mitchell's interview with Dan Coats.

I only watched because I was fascinated to see Coats seemed like a laid back congenital congenial guy.

There, fixed that for ya!!!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

wish someone cut about about 8 inches from Alex Witt's hair.  At least. Why on earth does she have so much airtime on weekend mornings?

It wouldn't even take that....I suspect those are extensions (slightly different color than most of her hair, and they lay flat on her shoulder weirdly). 

As for your second question, I wish I knew. She rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Apprentice79 said:

There was a Friday evening handoff of Ari Melber (filling in for Rachel) and Katy Tur (filling in for Lawrence O'D), so a reverse of the usual handoff between them, from Ari to Katy.  Katy made a point of noting this, and said it was *her* turn to "throw you off your game", so she made it very clear that she does not like the awkward joking that Ari provides.  I was trying to find it on video, and no luck, but did see this additional critique *before* the show on her twitter account, to Ari, who had just posted that he was filling for Rachel.  Said Katy: "I'm filling in for @Lawrence which means there's a bonus awkward handoff to end the week."  Ouch.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:40 AM, Ladyrain said:

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, jjj said:

There was a handoff of Ari Melber (filling in for Rachel) and Katy Tur (filling in for Lawrence O'D), so a reverse of the usual handoff between them, from Ari to Katy.  Katy made a point of noting this, and said it was *her* turn to "throw you off your game", so she made it very clear that she does not like the awkward joking that Ari provides.  I was trying to find it on video, and no luck, but did see this additional critique *before* the show on her twitter account, to Ari, who had just posted that he was filling for Rachel.  Said Katy: "I'm filling in for @Lawrence which means there's a bonus awkward handoff to end the week."  Ouch.

Ari has acknowledged the awkward handoffs on his show that same day. For his one year anniversary show on Friday.  He had the best awkward moments on his shows and he included the ones with Katy. He was poking fun at himself and the required handoffs...

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Ari has acknowledged the awkward handoffs on his show that same day. For his one year anniversary show on Friday.  He had the best awkward moments on his shows and he included the ones with Katy. He was poking fun at himself and the required handoffs...

Aha!  I'll have to watch the show in the app -- that changes the tone of Katy's tweet and her reaction to his handoff to her on Friday evening.  

ETA:  Or.....I could watch the video that Jaded helpfully provided!  Thanks!  TPTB need to realize that some handoffs are just not meant to happen.  (I do like Ari Melber, just not in joke mode.)  

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, so at least he's self-aware.

55 minutes ago, Jaded said:
Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

MSNBC already had a documentary on saving the Thai soccer team last night.

It was actually good and had lots of interesting interviews with members of the rescue team.

(edited)

I might be stating the obvious, but the handoffs serve a purpose for MSNBC, which is to keep viewers glued to the channel. You're thinking you'll just watch Rachel, and while you're doing that you suddenly find that Lawrence is there, inexplicably, and now Rachel is gone and you're just watching Lawrence, and you never quite made a decision to do that, but here you are.

It's analogous to the practice various channels do with sitcoms, where the button scene or end credits of the first one play out on your screen beneath the opening scene or title sequence of the second one. You thought you were just going to finish up the first one and here you are, starting the second one in the very act of finishing the first one, and now you're watching the second one, butt planted on your couch just where the channel wants it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 5

Completely agree, and said this above on 07-21, but with less detail.  

3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I might be stating the obvious, but the handoffs serve a purpose for MSNBC, which is to keep viewers glued to the channel. You're thinking you'll just watch Rachel, and while you're doing that you suddenly find that Lawrence is there, inexplicably, and now Rachel is gone and you're just watching Lawrence, and you never quite made a decision to do that, but here you are.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

It's not the handoffs themselves that are the problem for me; I understand their purpose.  Also, I think it's pretty standard practice among news anchors.  However, when I've seen other anchors do it, the handoff is brief and very few words are spoken between the anchors.  My issue is that Rachel/Lawrence and Ari/Katy just carry it on for too long.  

• Love 2

Yasmin looks so pretty today, hosting the 4:00 show.  It's so refreshing to see a pregnant woman wearing something that looks cool and comfortable, instead of the saran wrap clothing that's so "in" now.  Having been pregnant twice, the thought of being strangled in clingy dresses at 9 months along would have been a non-starter for me.  Yasmin's white (I assume cotton) flowy top/dress is beautiful on her.  YMMV

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Yasmin looks so pretty today, hosting the 4:00 show.  It's so refreshing to see a pregnant woman wearing something that looks cool and comfortable, instead of the saran wrap clothing that's so "in" now.  Having been pregnant twice, the thought of being strangled in clingy dresses at 9 months along would have been a non-starter for me.  Yasmin's white (I assume cotton) flowy top/dress is beautiful on her.  YMMV

Thanks -- caught the end of her hour (I never watch the Sunday shows!).  Didn't see the whole dress, but saw what looked like a comfortable white long-sleeve top styled like a business shirt.  It did look summery yet professional!   

• Love 4
On 7/29/2018 at 5:51 AM, Milburn Stone said:

And yet there's never a handoff from Chris M. to Chris H., or LOD to BriWi.

I stopped watching any of them live because of the incessant commercials, so in a way I get the handoffs twice, at the end of one recording and the beginning of another.

On 7/29/2018 at 5:51 AM, Milburn Stone said:

It's analogous to the practice various channels do with sitcoms, where the button scene or end credits of the first one play out on your screen beneath the opening scene or title sequence of the second one. You thought you were just going to finish up the first one and here you are, starting the second one in the very act of finishing the first one, and now you're watching the second one, butt planted on your couch just where the channel wants it.

That, and it's also a way to squeeze in extra commercials.  

On 7/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ohwell said:

However, when I've seen other anchors do it, the handoff is brief and very few words are spoken between the anchors.  My issue is that Rachel/Lawrence and Ari/Katy just carry it on for too long.  

Agree.

John Heilemann is subbing for Nicole Wallace. I was surprised to look up after hearing his voice to see he wasn't just on as a guest. Has he subbed for anyone else on MSNBC like this?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

John Heilemann is subbing for Nicole Wallace. I was surprised to look up after hearing his voice to see he wasn't just on as a guest. Has he subbed for anyone else on MSNBC like this?

Didn't he sub for her early this week?  I like him!!!

• Love 5

What am I watching this morning on MSNBC?  It is a panel-show with a host I am not familiar with; and only one panelist I am familiar with.  I love it!  It seems to be more like their weekday morning programming.    My one question - is this new?  Because I usually don't watch MSNBC on weekend mornings; mainly due to Alex Witt and Joy Reid.  Enjoy!  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

What am I watching this morning on MSNBC?  It is a panel-show with a host I am not familiar with; and only one panelist I am familiar with.  I love it!  It seems to be more like their weekday morning programming.    My one question - is this new?  Because I usually don't watch MSNBC on weekend mornings; mainly due to Alex Witt and Joy Reid.  Enjoy!  

I got a bit excited when tuned in this morning when I didn't see Alex Witt with her pageant hair and monotone voice. Alex is usually on for way to many hours on the weekend mornings so today was a surprise.

The guy who's anchoring today is David Gura who's usually on Sundays after Alex that I've seen. He's a lot more tolerable then she is. From what I've read the articles liked to say how he was joining MSNBC while Thomas Roberts was leaving. They have some enjoyable people on the weekends and the pair that host Early Morning before Morning Blow are good Louis Burgdorf is kinda annoying though. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I must have missed him subbing earlier in the week. I like him too.

Alex is on today after all. Meh.

• Love 2

Turns out that John Heilemann subbing for Nicolle this week is ok for me.

I usually won't watch shows I like if someone's subbing because generally it's Katie Tur or Haley Jackson and I don't like either of them.

John's probably too busy to make this a regular gig.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:21 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Yes, he subbed for Nicolle on Thursday; she was subbing for Brian Williams, so maybe two shows were too much?

But he did one thing that makes me crazy, and I think did the same to Jill Wine-Banks.  Heilemann had an opening powerhouse panel of major attorneys Barbara McQuade, Joyce Vance, and Jill Wine-Banks -- they hardly ever appear together.  They were articulate and precise about the trial events of that day, and it was fascinating.  Then, at the end of the segment, Heilemann said "I'm going to have to let these wonderful women go."  Why not say "attorneys" or "lawyers"?  I can't stand it when an expert is doing a great job, and then is recognized by her gender if it is a woman.  "What a wonderful woman!"  Ugh.  Jill Wine-Banks's smile froze.  I think even Heilemann heard what he had done, because then he compounded it with "the amazing Joyce Vance, the wonderful Barbara McQuade, and the remarkable Jill Wine-Banks."  Gushing, just not the professional tone they had provided to him.  

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I must have missed him subbing earlier in the week. I like him too.

• Love 4

And it was the same host/show this morning.  Did I hear him say that he was "in" for Alex Witt?  And was she hosting a later show?  If so, I wonder why.  Is she subbing for someone or are they trying her out at a later time?  It has rained and rained; that leaves me lots of time to watch tv and speculate.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kemper said:

And it was the same host/show this morning.  Did I hear him say that he was "in" for Alex Witt?  And was she hosting a later show?  If so, I wonder why.  Is she subbing for someone or are they trying her out at a later time?  It has rained and rained; that leaves me lots of time to watch tv and speculate.

David filled in for Alex Witt this morning and Richard Lui filled in for David during his regular time slot. 

I hope Ari is due for a vacation soon he was looking pretty rough by the end of this past week.

• Love 3

A reminder from the mods - This is NOT the place to talk about what is airing on MSNBC. This forum is for discussion of the business of the network. If it airs on the channel, it's NOT up for discussion here.

If a specific show has a forum, discussion of what happens on air can happen there - however outside of those already existing forums, no new 'news/current affairs/topical' type forums are being created at this time.

Posts have been removed; repeated offenses may result in further sanctions.

Thank you.