Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Everything's Coming Up Roses

• Start Topic

Kelly's horrible baby voice managed to be even worse this episode.  If I ever meet Jennie Garth I'm going to ask her (in a nice way of course) if that was a producer's mandate or something she came up with on her own.  It's so awful and I need to know who to blame exactly.

• Love 4

I too am all for Val scheming against Kelly, although I'd prefer it being literally just to mess with Kelly versus this childhood crush on Colin.  What I don't understand is why - after all the effort with the Ginger scheme she made to get into The Gang - Val is trying to sabotage herself.  Also, why is this scrapping about Colin even here given Val's about to get paired with David? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I too am all for Val scheming against Kelly, although I'd prefer it being literally just to mess with Kelly versus this childhood crush on Colin. 

Me too. I've said this before and God knows I'll say it again, but I hate that the show always has to set up Val as running behind Donna and Kelly's sloppy seconds. Ray, David, Colin, Brandon, Dylan. It's so so so lame and so obvious that the writers had to write it that way or face the wrath of Queen Kelly and St. Donna. Because again,  Val blows those two out of the water on almost every level but we're all supposed to suspend disbelief enough to believe that those two are fairest of them all. Put-leeze.

Loved Tara calling out dumb af Dylan for tracking a (murdering, no less) Mobster and not bothering to unlist his address. Hey, Genius, they could always stick a bomb under YOUR car too. What a Maroon. 

Agree that Donna's look is appropriate for the Rose Bowl. She looks so, so, so much better when the Boobs of Doom are covered. How on earth could she ever think that the Cavern looked good? Delusion, thy name is Tori Spelling.

• Love 2

Emma Caulfield is really gorgeous. And Donna does look really nice in her pink outfit with non-crunchy hair. By contrast, Kelly just needs more contour, and her makeup lewk would fit in on the worst of Instagram today. Eek.

And the G.D. pasta fork poster! I had forgotten about that!

57 minutes ago, Halo said:

And the G.D. pasta fork poster! I had forgotten about that!

Oh, that stupid poster! That wasn't up when Jim and Cindy were around, right? So the set dressers thought this was the hip & cool type stuff that today's (90's) modern college kids would put on the wall. As. If.

• Love 1

Susan looks good, but she kind of looks like Cindy in this episode. The hair, I think. Which makes it a little disgusting that Bran the Man is into her, but whatever. 

Felice is so awful (but very enjoyable). Someone should write fanfic about Felice and her backstory. 

• Love 1

Brandon did you...did you just...did you just fucking defend minstrelry?

This episode is enraging. Kelly actually squeaks "kith you." I was shredding rolls of toilet paper with my bare teeth by the end of it. Everyone is such an offensive idiot.

• Love 2

It is laughable how the writers expect us to believe that all the guys would want Donna over Valerie . Not only is Val gorgeous and Donna is fug, but guys would love Val's bubbly personality over the fake saint one and constant resting bitch face kel

So what if Val was a schemer .. Kelly's pathological cheating was no better 

• Love 4

Dylan has made me want to strike up a correspondence with the FBI. No one in particular. Just "To: The Federal Bureau of Investigation." 

I love how Brandon mansplains beauty pageants to Susan. Christ, what an asshole.  I also love that my woke spellchecker recognizes the word mansplain. 

Kelly is just the fucking worst. She was bad in season 5, but God, this season she's really taken it to another level. I made a visible barf face when the Kelly baby talk started. The nadir of Kelly's awfulness has to be when, in a few episodes, Dylan *spoiler alert* announces he and Toni are engaged and she was like, "Didn't you consider my feelings?" Bitch, what?! I don't remember much about Coke!Kelly, but it must really be an improvement.

I'll never be 100% with Val because she has done some pretty shitty things, but she and Claire always give the best reactions. 

Edited by MerBearStare
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

The nadir of Kelly's awfulness has to be when, in a few episodes, Dylan *spoiler alert* announces he and Toni are engaged and she was like, "Didn't you consider my feelings?"

I can't wait for the episode!! Isn't this also where she pathetically wears a red "look at me" dress?  Does Dylan tell her to F-off with her comment on his engagement?

I do feel bad about Val- always with the sloppy seconds.  My heart breaks when she puts up the club as bond for Collin and he flees, then in the "sting" he says something to Kelly about how Val doesn't mean anything to him.  Poor Val.  I wish she lasted longer with David- they were the best.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

She was right on point for 1995/96.

Not enough brown, I'd argue. But yeah, of course. The skinny brows, mean looking eyes, all of it is mid-90s. 

• Love 1

Some old-timey things these made me think of: Donna doing the pageant wave looks like she's auditioning for the Young Carol Channing biopic. Tiffani-Amber Thiessen is just a stunning individual. In her "the wimple" shot she is giving serious "Barbara Parkins In Valley of the Dolls" vibes.

Not sure why they constantly wash Kelly out with all the pale colors, but the Edie Sedgwick vibe kind of suits her.

Speaking of suits -- men, just wear the tuxedo. Boinking it up with board shorts... we get it, you're too cool to wear a tux. Just wear it. No one is looking at you.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:05 PM, Halo said:

Not enough brown, I'd argue.

Didn't they call it, chocolate? I seem to remember my girlfriends and I in the 90s being aware of the fact that chocolate was the new black and we had to get chocolate mani/pedis, wear chocolate clothes and wear chocolate lipstick. All to dress up the fact that we were wearing baby shit brown as a fashion statement. Ah, the '90s.

• Love 7

And all of our bath products were chocolate this, chocolate that.  I remember that St. Ives made a chocolate body scrub that was amazing.  Vanilla was very big in the 90s, too.  I had some fragrances from VS that were a set: Vanille Abricot, Vanille Caramel, and Vanille Peche.  Abricot was my favorite.

Yes, brown.  Anyone else remember Jane Cosmetics' "Browned-down Red" lipstick?  Too dark for Cat Butt, but Claire could have rocked it.

• Love 2

I was more partial to Mac Viva Glam (1994) and Chanel Vamp (1995) because I was still kinda gothy, but my friends wore a lot of brown makeup. There was a brown Revlon lipstick the pharmacy I worked at always sold out of, and I think it was called Toast of New York. 

• Love 6
On 2/16/2017 at 1:06 AM, Halo said:

Toast of New York

On 2/16/2017 at 3:17 AM, Lisin said:
On 2/16/2017 at 1:06 AM, Halo said:

Chanel Vamp (1995)

YES!

DOUBLE YES! those were the shizz!

• Love 1
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Schlinkaboo said:

Was Donna required to wear that pink dress every time she went to the Tournament House?

We will never see the end of that dress this season.  I was also wondering if they had to keep the same dress along with their number everytime they did a Tournament event.  Cause that dress from the material to the color to the cut, is so awful.

On 2/13/2017 at 1:28 PM, Schlinkaboo said:

as Donna required to wear that pink dress every time she went to the Tournament House?

I think she says at some point it's a tradition to wear the same dress as they progress through every round.  I guess it's a superstition/luck token?

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5:38 PM, MerBearStare said:

The nadir of Kelly's awfulness has to be when, in a few episodes, Dylan *spoiler alert* announces he and Toni are engaged and she was like, "Didn't you consider my feelings?" Bitch, what?! I don't remember much about Coke!Kelly, but it must really be an improvement.

Right, like she considered his and Brandon''s feelings when she came back from summer vacation with her tongue down a new guy''s throat.  Ugh.

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 8:27 AM, CurlyATX said:

I can't wait for the episode!! Isn't this also where she pathetically wears a red "look at me" dress?  Does Dylan tell her to F-off with her comment on his engagement?

And then she has the nerve to be pissed that Dylan only invited her to the reception and not the wedding ceremony.  Ugh! Maybe they just didn't want your cat butt bitchface stinking up their wedding.

• Love 5
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Halo said:

Mac Viva Glam (1994)

Venturing way off topic, but I used to live in Mac's Viva Glam (the original) plus a shade called Verushka which later became Diva.  Matte maroon lippies were my jam.  I couldn't afford Chanel's Vamp nail color so I'd use Wet N Wild Black under some Raisin Revlon shade. 

Also, I'm very guilty of wearing those skirts from Express- short mini flared ones with a slit.  That was more late 90's, during the Ally McBeal years when I figured if I wore tights, a skirt of any length was appropriate.  I think I even had those schoolgirl sheath dresses that I wore underneath a long sleeve shirt.  Ugh! Thankfully my friends were too busy drinking to ever take pictures of each other and now said friends are too lazy to ever scan anything and pop it on facebook.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Venturing way off topic, but I used to live in Mac's Viva Glam (the original) plus a shade called Verushka which later became Diva.  Matte maroon lippies were my jam.  I couldn't afford Chanel's Vamp nail color so I'd use Wet N Wild Black under some Raisin Revlon shade. 

Also, I'm very guilty of wearing those skirts from Express- short mini flared ones with a slit.  That was more late 90's, during the Ally McBeal years when I figured if I wore tights, a skirt of any length was appropriate.  I think I even had those schoolgirl sheath dresses that I wore underneath a long sleeve shirt.  Ugh! Thankfully my friends were too busy drinking to ever take pictures of each other and now said friends are too lazy to ever scan anything and pop it on facebook.

OMG, Verushka! I couldn't really afford Vamp, either, but had a Nordstrom card that I would use very occasionally and pay off over a few months. But on your side note, I had a friend during undergrad who was studying photography, and she documented every party and other hangout that happened. She has literally dozens of binders of the negatives. I hope she never gets any bright ideas about digitization.

• Love 1

Ah, the 90s. Because the neckline of Susan's dress ever so slightly reminded me of the much knocked-off  "Indecent Proposal" dress, I just spent a good half hour trying to remember which actress wore that dress and the name of the movie, and confusing it with Liz Hurley's safety pin dress. 

Also, are these formal events just an annual excuse for the gang to dress up since there's no longer prom, and no one appears to be going to sorority formals or whatever? Why on earth would the whole gang attend this or Donna's debutante ball for that matter? It's like they only act like rich kids in this 55 year old "old money"  way. Actual Tori and Shannen were out clubbing all the time.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

Why on earth would the whole gang attend this or Donna's debutante ball for that matter?

I think there's a throwaway line in the episode about how Val, Claire and Kelly are only doing the first round of "auditions" or whatever for the court because in doing so they get tickets to this event? So they're in it for the party?

• Love 2

And then she has the nerve to be pissed that Dylan only invited her to the reception and not the wedding ceremony.  Ugh! Maybe they just didn't want your cat butt bitchface stinking up their wedding.

I greatly disliked Dylan not inviting the gang to his wedding.  Felt like another instance of Old Man Mantis hiding behind his "pain".

Although given the toxic nature of his relationship with Kelly, I can't blame him for not wanting her there.  She would have completely made it about herself and Dylan probably would have been the one who ended up apologizing afterwards.

Edited by benteen
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

Ah, the 90s. Because the neckline of Susan's dress ever so slightly reminded me of the much knocked-off  "Indecent Proposal" dress, I just spent a good half hour trying to remember which actress wore that dress and the name of the movie, and confusing it with Liz Hurley's safety pin dress. 

Also, are these formal events just an annual excuse for the gang to dress up since there's no longer prom, and no one appears to be going to sorority formals or whatever? Why on earth would the whole gang attend this or Donna's debutante ball for that matter? It's like they only act like rich kids in this 55 year old "old money"  way. Actual Tori and Shannen were out clubbing all the time.

Demi Moore!  I watched that movie in the theater with my first boyfriend.  I remember we naively were floored that two people who weren't in a serious, committed relationship could have mind-blowing sex together.   The boyfriend was Woody Harrelson and the rich guy was Robert Redford.  Demi wore this amazing chiangsom (sp?), those Chinese form fitting dresses.  They were big in the 90s too- I remember "So I Married an Axe Murderer" had the gal wear one.  It seemed to signify that "action" was going to happen.  Groan... talk about cultural appropriation.  It's like a few steps away from the Chinese music cues from 90210.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

Demi wore this amazing chiangsom (sp?), those Chinese form fitting dresses.  They were big in the 90s too- I remember "So I Married an Axe Murderer" had the gal wear one.  It seemed to signify that "action" was going to happen.  Groan... talk about cultural appropriation.  It's like a few steps away from the Chinese music cues from 90210.

Oh yeah, I owned a cheongsam (and a couple of those satin robes with the birds or dragons or whatever embroidered on the back) before I was woke enough to realize "Asian" shouldn't be a party theme. Oh and I had hair chopsticks to wear with cheongsam. So...yeah.

I was really tempted to get a currently trendy satin baseball jacket with a tiger embroidered on the back, but it also had Japan above it, so no go. 

• Love 1