Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: E mālama pono (Handle with Care)

• Start Topic

McGarrett and Danny finally track down the missing uranium, which has been used to build a bomb located in the middle of the jungle. Now, they must carefully extract the unstable explosive through treacherous terrain before it detonates. Singer Darius Rucker guest stars as Desmond Abati, the bomb maker. Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith guest composed multiple cues for this episode.

Original Airdate: February 24, 2017

SOURCE: https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=47012

1 hour ago, Gatorbec said:

What did Grover say at the end? I did not catch (or understand) it!

I think he said that the bomb was to going to be planted across the street from the Five-O headquarters and HPD while the Governor was there. It would have killed all of them certainly. 

35 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

I think he said that the bomb was to going to be planted across the street from the Five-O headquarters and HPD while the Governor was there. It would have killed all of them certainly. 

And Steve concluded that they were the target. I suppose the rest of the city dealing with a dirty bomb would be collateral damage 

• Love 5

You know my precognition scares even me sometimes. Two weeks ago near the end this  I wrote:

Let them retire at the end of Season 8 and happily settle down together. They could still keep their "policing" hand in: Steve could start a private Weapons and Tactics training school and Danny could......maybe open a restaurant or a bar. They'll have Little Charlie to take care of (i.e. a son for whom McGarrett can pass on his Ninja skills) and be proud and protective "daddies" for Grace at College.  It doesn't have to be sappy or girly either: an interesting case with a do or die decision which convinces Steve and Danny that they should finally get married to secure their futures, a proposal from Steve or Danny (discuss)....

And then this evening what to my wondering eyes should appear but an episode that opens with Steve teaching an HPD class on Weapons and Tactics,  the duo finding themselves in a literal "do or die" situation causing them to have to consider their future, Danny confessing to Steve that he is thinking about retirement and maybe opening a restaurant, Steve going ballistic (for him) because Danny did not consult with him about any of this, forcing another "I Love You" out of Steve and then later making a rather roundabout proposal to Danny, and the show ending with Little Charlie seated at the table with them and their friends.

Now I do not, never have and extremely likely will never work for CBS, so I have no way to explain how almost everything I suggested could possibly be in an episode that was obviously filmed weeks if not months ago.  But having seen this episode,  I am willing to take a small step back on everything I said about the writers of H50 being chickensh*t.  I thought that this was a very well done ep, with a stupid but entirely plausible A-story scenario.  Steve and Danny's B-story here in conjunction with the Valentines Day ep, Grace's School Hostage ep, and a few others from this season seems to be part of a larger and more subtle story arc wherein the writers are finally start taking a stance in defining the relationship between the two men.  What I am glad to see is that it's Steve (and why wouldn't it be --  the show has always been about Steve) who is making the change.  After all he is the one person on this show who has had the worst time of it as far as actual family is concerned: he is essentially an orphan with almost all of his closest parental figures dead or missing.  None of the women from his own generation are around (i.e. Mary Anne and Catherine); and in the last 2 weeks he appears to have written off two more  (Watch how detached his face when he hugs Alicia at the end of 7.17 and he could barely look Lynn in the eye in 7.16).  So by the end of this episode when Grover made his ominous inference, you could tell from Steve's face (and the exquisitely framed camera shot) that he was ONLY thinking  of how so very close he came to losing the one thing that he really does love and care about, Danny.  

The writers seem to have made it pretty it clear in what direction they might be planning in taking Steve McGarrett.

• Love 1

Considering it's AOL who has spoken most recently about leaving the show (or do we think that is just contract politics?), this felt like a very real, very plausible set up for SC to go. I think we can probably all agree he won't be all that sad (beyond the pay cheque and the friendships) whenever that happens. Personally, I'd be really sorry though (in spite of what the writers have done to the Danno character over the seasons).

It was a great episode for the old school bromance - thought both the leads did a great job with the action, the humour and all the 'feels'. 

• Love 1

Even though I knew that Steve and Danny would be okay, I was still nervous as they were driving the bomb around, so I guess that showed that the episode was a good one.  However, time must work differently in Hawaii, because they found the bomb, drove it through the jungle, built a bridge, had time to stop and argue a lot and got to the clearing in 49 minutes (there was 59 minutes on the timer when they first saw the bomb and they got to the clearing with 10 minutes left).  

I would have assumed that law enforcement, governmental agencies or the governor would have been likely targets and their headquarters are all close together, so I'm not sure why they seemed surprised at where the bomb was going to be placed.  And, no matter where it was on the island, they would probably all have been killed anyway.  So, this storyline isn't over, since they don't know who the masterminds are who planned this, right?

What's up with whatshisname and his Elvis glasses?  Why do they tolerate him--a convicted human trafficker?  I don't care how funny they think he is--he's a crook. And doesn't he have a wife and child somewhere?

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Even though I knew that Steve and Danny would be okay, I was still nervous as they were driving the bomb around, so I guess that showed that the episode was a good one.  However, time must work differently in Hawaii, because they found the bomb, drove it through the jungle, built a bridge, had time to stop and argue a lot and got to the clearing in 49 minutes (there was 59 minutes on the timer when they first saw the bomb and they got to the clearing with 10 minutes left).  

I would have assumed that law enforcement, governmental agencies or the governor would have been likely targets and their headquarters are all close together, so I'm not sure why they seemed surprised at where the bomb was going to be placed.  And, no matter where it was on the island, they would probably all have been killed anyway.  So, this storyline isn't over, since they don't know who the masterminds are who planned this, right?

What's up with whatshisname and his Elvis glasses?  Why do they tolerate him--a convicted human trafficker?  I don't care how funny they think he is--he's a crook. And doesn't he have a wife and child somewhere?

I had just put it in the Only On TV Thread again because on 24 Legacy the terrorist not only wanted the terror but also to get back at a Ranger squad. A Boko Haram/ISIS terrorist with not a hint of a Nigerian accent as their spy school must have gave him an American country singer accent. One couldn't just want to do a terror mission but following a greater master plan as the mastermind are actually after someone on 5-0 because that is how TV works.

Well Sang Min, human trafficker for Wo Fat had been forgiven and made a 5-0 confidential informant years ago. Just like the other ex con, Kamekona who started as a CI but now just serves as a friend they describe him as family. Just  the blacksheep of their family. He let his wife go when sent to prison and on one of their first cases when 5-0 got him out of lock up for his expertise Kono allowed him to see his wife and that she was okay with her new man as his reward

• Love 1

Fun episode!

I really think this season is a huge improvement, and while there have been some duds (which is why I don't post in all the threads, but I have been reading them), most of it has been fun to watch. This episode was definitely a highlight. I enjoyed the "banter", and the MacGyver-ing (ahem) in the jungle, and the far-fetched but basic and straightforward plot. I do agree this was maybe a way to set up Scott Caan's possible exit (and I love the idea of Steve having a future in training others like him, by the way). I liked that retirement was brought up as a very real option for an almost middle-aged guy with a dangerous job and a young child, and I loved Steve's reaction. Asking Danny to name the restaurant "Steve's" was truly inspired. I snorted. It was just good to see the affection between them. The friendship. Again, this season has found a nice balance between snark and fondness. In the last few seasons, the "carguments" were often nasty or bitter. This is much better.

It was weird to see Darius Rucker, but he didn't stand out in a bad way. He was fine. When it comes to random H50 stunt casting, he was one of the better ones.

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I did cringe when they mentioned Sang Min having been a trafficker, I had forgotten the exact nature of his crimes. I do find him likeable (because I love Will Yun Lee) but yeah, it was easier to like Sang Min when I thought he was just, like, a con man.

Again, solid episode. It's rare that a show in its 7th season manages to have a creative resurgence. I don't know what the reason is (isn't the showrunner the same guy? Are there new writers?) but I'm impressed and I'm loving it.

Edit:

9 hours ago, Raja said:

And Steve concluded that they were the target. I suppose the rest of the city dealing with a dirty bomb would be collateral damage 

Yeah, why didn't Steve assume the governor was the target? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 2

Yet another party (okay, dinner) where Adam, Lou's wife, and Gracie were not invited! Jerry was not there either, although the new M.E. and the shrimp truck people (not to mention the ex-felon) were there. You might argue Gracie didn't want to be there with the grown-ups (preferring to spend the evening with her friends) and that Lou's wife was home with the kids (and, of course, Abby was babysitting Sara), but there is no excuse for Adam & Jerry not to be there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Fun episode!

I really think this season is a huge improvement, and while there have been some duds (which is why I don't post in all the threads, but I have been reading them), most of it has been fun to watch. This episode was definitely a highlight. I enjoyed the "banter", and the MacGyver-ing (ahem) in the jungle, and the far-fetched but basic and straightforward plot. I do agree this was maybe a way to set up Scott Caan's possible exit (and I love the idea of Steve having a future in training others like him, by the way). I liked that retirement was brought up as a very real option for an almost middle-aged guy with a dangerous job and a young child, and I loved Steve's reaction. Asking Danny to name the restaurant "Steve's" was truly inspired. I snorted. It was just good to see the affection between them. The friendship. Again, this season has found a nice balance between snark and fondness. In the last few seasons, the "carguments" were often nasty or bitter. This is much better.

It was weird to see Darius Rucker, but he didn't stand out in a bad way. He was fine. When it comes to random H50 stunt casting, he was one of the better ones.

I did cringe when they mentioned Sang Min having been a trafficker, I had forgotten the exact nature of his crimes. I do find him likeable (because I love Will Yun Lee) but yeah, it was easier to like Sang Min when I thought he was just, like, a con man.

Again, solid episode. It's rare that a show in its 7th season manages to have a creative resurgence. I don't know what the reason is (isn't the showrunner the same guy? Are there new writers?) but I'm impressed and I'm loving it.

Edit:

Yeah, why didn't Steve assume the governor was the target? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Same showrunner, at least some new writers this season.

The most utterly ridiculous episode I have ever seen. Almost the entire episode was the two idiots bantering back and forth with each other. And since when did McGarrett turn into MacGyver?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Yet another party (okay, dinner) where Adam, Lou's wife, and Gracie were not invited! Jerry was not there either, although the new M.E. and the shrimp truck people (not to mention the ex-felon) were there. You might argue Gracie didn't want to be there with the grown-ups (preferring to spend the evening with her friends) and that Lou's wife was home with the kids (and, of course, Abby was babysitting Sara), but there is no excuse for Adam & Jerry not to be there.

Lou's wife really doesn't need to be home with their children. They're both at least high school age. Otherwise I agree with at least most of your reasoning for certain characters being MIA from the party scene.

In case anyone wonders what's up with the cliffhanger ending from last week's ep, Peter Lenkov (the showrunner) Tweeted this an hour or so ago.

https://twitter.com/plenkov/status/835530173919350785

• Love 1

Re: Lou's wife. How about.....she had to do work stuff (I assume she has some sort of job)? Does Adam have a job? And you're right..I forgot Will is Gracie's age (14? 15?) and the girl is probably a senior or even in college by now. I didn't even bring up Steve & Danny's girlfriends not there.

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I guess the last time they mentioned it was for some cooking contest comic relief C story but Kamekona, the shrimp truck King and tourist helicopter pilot, is also a ex-felon. He was Chin Ho's confidential informant before he resigned in disgrace and came with him in the pilot when Commander McGarrett went recruiting for 5-0

Really love it that the bromance is back. And not as mean spirited as it used to be. But really at times, they need to tone down Steve a bit. He can be away over the top as well as a bit selfish. Hint the restaurant thing. As it needs to be named McDanno's. Not Steve's. 

Are tandem skydives Steve's version of a trust fall?

If, IF, they decide to go there with Steve and Danny's relationship it will be in the very last episode. Although Steve acting totally like the spouse not being consulted on his husband's future plans was amusing.

"Are you comparing our relationship to my failed marriage?!"

I'm over the banter. There's a bomb. The clock is ticking. Do your job. The dialogue is just too distracting. I don't mind the ridiculousness of the show, but that is grating now. They could have started the truck and driven out of there in about 90 seconds if they shut up. SHUT UP AND DRIVE.

Seriously, playing Slow Ride was hilarious. That's what the show is about. 

Why would Steve be so incredulous that Danny wants to retire? 

I don't know what kind of uranium they were using, but you can easily shield it, so getting dosed up isn't an issue. Actually, exploding uranium isn't much of a huge deal.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, preeya said:

The most utterly ridiculous episode I have ever seen. Almost the entire episode was the two idiots bantering back and forth with each other. And since when did McGarrett turn into MacGyver?

I agree. I fell asleep twice watching it because it was so inane.

• Love 4

I didn't have a problem with McGarret repairing the fuel line or mocking up the bridge. He was special forces, I would think he picked up some things or had some training. Then the woman on the phone talked him through removing the uranium.

I found Danny rather useless beyond complaining about everything. He could have repaired the fuel line. 

• Love 2

Well, aren't we just going around tying up loose ends...

I was impressed they had to deal with the consequences of killing the bombmaker. There was a time when Kono would have simply wounded him so they could tell him how bad he is and get a third of the info they needed out of him. Nope, we killed him and it affects our plot. Well done, show.

I appreciate entertainment that can show healthy close male friendships. They aren't so macho they can't have real conversations without it being an issue.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

A thousand times this! Best use of soundtrack I've seen in a long time.

i know it's OT, but really, AOL wants out? I would think if anyone would want to stick around, it would be him. He knows what it was like to be in at least 2 failed shows prior to this, IIRC (one of which I watched). I guess I'll have to check out some other threads for the scoop.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I didn't have a problem with McGarret repairing the fuel line or mocking up the bridge. He was special forces, I would think he picked up some things or had some training. Then the woman on the phone talked him through removing the uranium.

I found Danny rather useless beyond complaining about everything. He could have repaired the fuel line. 

The bridge in particular was something like an ROTC exercise that I went through but with the MacGyver, McGarrett promos running full speed on CBS of course we were waiting for chewing gum to fix the fuel line. I am surprised they haven't added no longer Magnum to that Friday night promo package.

11 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

A thousand times this! Best use of soundtrack I've seen in a long time.

i know it's OT, but really, AOL wants out? I would think if anyone would want to stick around, it would be him. He knows what it was like to be in at least 2 failed shows prior to this, IIRC (one of which I watched). I guess I'll have to check out some other threads for the scoop.

The "scoop" is that Alex said in an interview awhile back (but still fairly recently, as I remember... check the Media thread; I think I found & linked to the interview there) that if the show goes 8 seasons, he'd be leaving at the end of S8 basically to preserve his physical health, & so he can also be a reasonably functioning dad/stepdad to his & his wife Malia's 2 youngest sons--their son, Lion, & her son, Spike (he'd like to still be able to throw a football around with them, like pretty much every dad with young kids, & with his grandkids later on, but with all the show-related injuries he's incurred over the last [currently] 7 years, & apparently left not fully treated--like with surgery--because he feels the responsibility of not missing a lot of work, as the lead, & he'd have to miss at least some work after surgery, it's apparently having some impact on his relationship with his kids, or Alex feels it is).

He's incurred a number of injuries, from as far back as S1, (among them a bad shoulder, which he tore somehow, & never had surgery on when the injury was new but tried to "fix" by taking prescription painkillers to work through the pain, which landed him in rehab because he needed help to stop taking the pills; & the rehab stay caused him to miss 2-3 S2 eps, including the NCIS: Los Angeles crossover). I remember the torn shoulder goes as far back as S1; he mentioned it in a cable TV interview towards the end of S1. I think somewhere in this article it also mentions Alex apparently commuting to & from the Mainland to have specialized treatment on 1 or more of his unresolved injuries around his shooting schedule in Honolulu.

Here's the article link in question, from Australian media last October. I'm not sure it actually did end up in the Media thread.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/alex-oloughlin-on-his-hawaii-fiveo-exit/news-story/002b6f603f395e7bd7eb65298d77beaa

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment & an article link.

This was such an awful episode.  Why oh why did there have to be a return to the full force bickering?  I loathe Scott Cahn and Danny and I just want him to disappear.  The bickering is so tiresome.  Danny, if you want to drive your own car, then GROW SOME BALLS and take the keys.  You're a grown ass man.  Start acting like it.  Don't whine and bitch like a baby.  

Danny talking about retiring was like a chorus o angels' music to my ears   If there is a hypothetical Season 8, please please please for the love of all that is soft and cottony, MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

Absolutely nothing on Claire Forlani and Elizabeth Rohm.  A cliffhanger isn't very effective if there's no payoff at all.  I guess they will just bring them back for May sweeps.  I was wondering if the gun was loaded with blanks, if she fired at the ceiling, etc.  The delay isn't suspenseful.  It's irritating and very disrespectful to fans.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 3

I don't understand intentionally ignoring the Alicia/Madison showdown...Claire is even listed in the show credits but does not appear (guess that could be a deleted scene?) Anyway, so many more interesting storylines than Alicia shooting Madison. 1) Daughter Sienna is awoken by all of the conversation with McGarrett and Mom/Madison, has a gun of her own and shoots Madison. Or, shoots her Mom (Stockholm Syndrome). Or, has a gun (she was an FBI trainee) and shoots the ceiling, walks over and knocks out Madison and they wait for HPD to arrive2) McGarrett sees something odd, and circles around the house instead of leaving, shoots Madison from behind. 3) HPD arrives at the house, sees the woman holding the gun and shoots her (but doesn't kill her), and Madison slips away as we all know the HPD are inept and prone to screwing up, 4) Alicia shoots the ceiling or something other than Madison, waking up her daughter and causing Madison to flee, 5) gun is loaded with blanks, Madison walks away, 6) gun is tampered with and causes injury to Claire when she pulls the trigger, 7) Claire turns gun on herself and shoots, etc. Because of the passage of time on the uranium episode, this will have to be told in flashback and most likely not involve McGarrett as he was teaching the class to HPD with no mention of involvement in something this big. Any way it shakes out, it's very disappointing that we are left hanging for probably 5 weeks at minimum. This week is a repeat, week after storyline doesn't mention Alicia, then I believe we will have 2 weeks of NCAA basketball on CBS Friday nights, which takes us to 5 weeks. Mr. Lenkov, fans deserve better...  :-(

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I don't understand intentionally ignoring the Alicia/Madison showdown...Claire is even listed in the show credits but does not appear (guess that could be a deleted scene?) Anyway, so many more interesting storylines than Alicia shooting Madison. 1) Daughter Sienna is awoken by all of the conversation with McGarrett and Mom/Madison, has a gun of her own and shoots Madison. Or, shoots her Mom (Stockholm Syndrome). Or, has a gun (she was an FBI trainee) and shoots the ceiling, walks over and knocks out Madison and they wait for HPD to arrive2) McGarrett sees something odd, and circles around the house instead of leaving, shoots Madison from behind. 3) HPD arrives at the house, sees the woman holding the gun and shoots her (but doesn't kill her), and Madison slips away as we all know the HPD are inept and prone to screwing up, 4) Alicia shoots the ceiling or something other than Madison, waking up her daughter and causing Madison to flee, 5) gun is loaded with blanks, Madison walks away, 6) gun is tampered with and causes injury to Claire when she pulls the trigger, 7) Claire turns gun on herself and shoots, etc. Because of the passage of time on the uranium episode, this will have to be told in flashback and most likely not involve McGarrett as he was teaching the class to HPD with no mention of involvement in something this big. Any way it shakes out, it's very disappointing that we are left hanging for probably 5 weeks at minimum. This week is a repeat, week after storyline doesn't mention Alicia, then I believe we will have 2 weeks of NCAA basketball on CBS Friday nights, which takes us to 5 weeks. Mr. Lenkov, fans deserve better...  :-(

NCAA Men's Basketball (aka "March Madness") runs Tuesday, March 14-Monday, April 3 this year. We should be pre-empted for the Friday night NCAA games on March 17 & March 24, & I think that should be it.

Slow Ride was inspired!

This episode went more toward the classic bromance and humor while our team worked through an impossible and improbable situation than it has been showing lately.  Very nice.  And there's always been a whole lot of MacGuyver in McGarrett, remember him jamming a suspect's thumb into his wound so he could get a finger print?  Or taking the dust out of the vacuum and using a feather duster to get a print on the blood bags?  Or improvising the molotov cocktail bombs?  It is just that we haven't seen much of "Steve the Science Guy" lately, and now with the new Lenkov MacGuyver re-start leading into H50 timeslot, and the upcoming crossover, that comparison is right front and center. 

What really struck me suddenly with this episode is how great Will Yun Lee is.  He is a really good looking man, but portraying Sang Min as unattractive is far more than just a ridiculous mullet wig and ludicrous wardrobe.  Look at how he carries himself, how he juts his jaw and bobs his head and squints his eyes.  He transforms his handsome self into this ugly person.  Man, the casting on this show is either an absolute home run, or a total swing and a miss...  There isn't a whole lot in between.

• Love 2

I look forward to the banter between Steve and Danno.  It's one of those things that makes this show great to begin with.

This episode did indeed have me on the edge of my seat.  Even though McGarrett acted MacGyver-esq, a person that is a former Navy SEAL would have knowledge pertaining to repairing a fuel line, building a plank for safe passage, etc.  This was definitely superior over some of the other filler episodes, i.e. the ones with the elephants, and the stupid giant man in a robot costume to name a few.

I guess my only pet peeve is that Steve, being a Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve, addressed a Navy Petty Officer as Sergeant.  Plus, the bomb expert over the phone is wearing an outdated field uniform.

I suppose the writers just dropped the ball on that one, or didn't care to do their research, LOL!

Oh, and poor Hootie.  I guess his music career isn't doing as well as it used to.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, Princess Lucky said:

They treat the trafficker like family and the con-man like trash.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

What really struck me suddenly with this episode is how great Will Yun Lee is.  He is a really good looking man, but portraying Sang Min as unattractive is far more than just a ridiculous mullet wig and ludicrous wardrobe.  Look at how he carries himself, how he juts his jaw and bobs his head and squints his eyes.  He transforms his handsome self into this ugly person.  Man, the casting on this show is either an absolute home run, or a total swing and a miss...  There isn't a whole lot in between.

That is how I see every episode of the show, the highs are way up there with the eye rolling lows

(edited)
On 2/25/2017 at 10:19 AM, illdoc said:

To me, the most glaring absence was Danny's nephew - surely he would have enjoyed eating food made from his great-grandmother's recipes.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:16 AM, ganesh said:

I'm over the banter. There's a bomb. The clock is ticking. Do your job. The dialogue is just too distracting. I don't mind the ridiculousness of the show, but that is grating now. They could have started the truck and driven out of there in about 90 seconds if they shut up. SHUT UP AND DRIVE.

Why would Steve be so incredulous that Danny wants to retire? 

I don't know what kind of uranium they were using, but you can easily shield it, so getting dosed up isn't an issue. Actually, exploding uranium isn't much of a huge deal.

I don't mind the banter generally. But it did bug when it was in front of people they were training. Time and place, people!

I don't know much about uranium, so I'll take your word. I'm okay with them getting details on the workings of dirty bombs wrong. Why put it out there for everyone. I know it's all out there on the internet, but at least the lazy wannabe terrorists won't see it on this show. Though I did think about how much exposure Steve's hands had. He protected his torso, but not his hands.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Though I did think about how much exposure Steve's hands had. He protected his torso, but not his hands.

That whole thing seemed ludicrous to me, especially when he strapped the car battery to his chest saying it would protect him the way a lead apron protects you when you get an x-ray. I'm no expert on exposure levels, but I'm pretty sure the amount of radiation you get zapped with at the dentist, for example, is a lot lower than what you'd get if you're handling big honking rods of uranium.

• Love 1
On February 27, 2017 at 7:42 AM, BW Manilowe said:

he'd be leaving at the end of S8 basically to preserve his physical health, & so he can also be a reasonably functioning dad/stepdad

That makes total sense. Seven (or maybe eight) is a great run for any show too. Without even knowing the details, I can imagine how physically taxing this show is for AOL! Thank you for the info.

(edited)
On 2/25/2017 at 0:59 AM, Raja said:

I think it's kind of scary to realize that you were the target for a nuclear bomb attack.  I mean, not a gun, not a stabbing, not even a regular bomb - but a nuclear bomb.  That would freak anyone out.  At no point did Steve act like the rest of the city wasn't worth saving, and he and Danny almost died trying to do just that.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:53 AM, Roselle said:

It was a great episode for the old school bromance - thought both the leads did a great job with the action, the humour and all the 'feels'. 

I loved it too.  After seven years, the chemistry between Alex and Scott is still there, and I think they love playing these scenes of them fighting and arguing, especially Alex.  There were some really funny moments, but the two that comes out for me regarding each character was:  Danny - "My tombstone is going to read 'Here lies Danny Williams . . . we think.'"  (Because they couldn't find all the pieces to properly identify him), and with Steve, it was after he flipped the pickup truck and Danny and him were taking cover behind it, and Steve wanted Danny's restaurant to be named after him so that they would still be together (awww), and they are both nervous and waiting for the explosion, and Steve says "So wait, you're good with the name----EXPLOSION!"  I just found all of it funny and amusing.  People can complain about whatever, but there is no denying the chemistry between Alex and Scott.  They just work, imho.  I will miss them because season eight, if there is one, will be the last - and I'm okay with that.  It was a good run.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1
On 2/25/2017 at 10:48 AM, Princess Lucky said:

me too!!! he cracks me up even tho he is ridiculous. But since the whole show is ridiculous, I can let it go. 

"Slow Ride" made me guffaw out loud. HAA!

Lou's face, to me, implied a much bigger emergency than what was revealed. I thought he was going to say one of the fuel rods disappeared or they got blood work back on Steve or something or that someone who wasn't there (every significant other) had been in an accident. OR that someone finally got around to telling them about Alicia and CrazyEyes. I mean, yes, it's startling to learn you were the bomb target, but haven't they been the target all along??? Ish???

On 3/2/2017 at 7:48 AM, fishcakes said:

I'm no expert on exposure levels, but I'm pretty sure the amount of radiation you get zapped with at the dentist, for example, is a lot lower than what you'd get if you're handling big honking rods of uranium.

I am an expert, and if it's fresh uranium, you can handle it without anything and you're not getting dosed up. The whole talking about shielding wasn't really necessary. If it was already irradiated uranium, they'd be dead, so nbd. 

I'm still not clear on why the uranium was needed to make the bomb in the first place. It obviously wasn't a nuclear bomb, so why not just make a regular bomb if you're just interested in blowing up HPC. 

Ganesh is 101% correct, uranium that is not spent (like these rods) is not dangerous. The only reason to wear gloves would be to avoid getting oils on the uranium or uranium pellets. If it had been spent uranium, already involved in a reaction, McGarrett would be dead before the next episode, car battery or not. You would think the 5-0 writers would do  just a little research on these topics.

Exploding the uranium in a bomb would vaporize the uranium so it could be inhaled. That would take a long time to take effect, but the psychological damage would be very large to the population.

Hoping to hear something definitive on a Season 8...if someone hears, please post!

As a terrorist act, I would agree that exploding the bomb would clearly be a huge deal. If you're talking a bomb to really kill large amounts of people with radioactivity, it's cesium you really want. Nuclear weapons don't even use uranium. Blowing up a building, just get some fertilizer. It's way easier.

6 hours ago, mahree said:

I just want to know how they got the truck started without the battery.

They probably explained it away like when Steve got stabbed in the back. It just disappears and it's never questioned. LOL!! I like this show but it wouldn't hurt to add a little realism into the show. IMO!

• Love 1

There was a fast scene before the truck was started that shows Steve hooking the battery back up in the truck. If you blinked, you missed it, it was very quick. Of course, since he didn't need the battery "protection" in the first place he wasted enough time so as not to be able to get a safe distance away from the blast but I thought the explosion/shock wave was pretty neat.