Type keyword(s) to search

Will And Grace Will Be Revived For A Ten-Episode Season On NBC

I guess they're going to pretend the finale never happened. But I think it would be cool if these new episodes picked up where the finale left off, and they were all the old versions of their characters.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JennB said:

Will and Grace stopped talking for, like, 20 years, and then their kids got together.

Exactly.  We're in for the mother of all retcons, since the Will & Grace of 2017 shouldn't even be hanging out together, much less speaking to each other. They aren't due to reunite until sometime in 2028 while they're helping their kids get settled into college.

Come to think of it, I think the series finale already was retconned out of existence with that ten-minute "election" episode.  That shouldn't have happened either, if the series finale is still canon.

Edited by legaleagle53

I'm gonna hand wave the series finale as being made back in the era where reboots weren't a thing, where returning to a series after a series finale was not a thing. So the writers did what every series tried to do, wrap everything up in a nice little bow so all stories have conclusion. because back then there was never any chance of a real revisit of beloved shows. I'm happy for this 10 episodes to slot in nicely where we left off and possibly transition into the original finale...maybe

• Love 5
On 1/18/2017 at 3:57 PM, Jenny K said:

I guess they're going to pretend the finale never happened. But I think it would be cool if these new episodes picked up where the finale left off, and they were all the old versions of their characters.

I would like that too. It could maybe start with the kids wedding. They could bring back Leo and Vince. Will and Grace rebuilding their friendship after all those years of not speaking.  

• Love 3

I would be thrilled if they ignored the finale.  Hated it.  The show was never quite the same after season 4, but I had forgotten just how bad it had become until I saw the episode right before the finale recently.   There was this nasty, hateful undertone to their relationship at that point.  I was so sick of everything that had gone on with Stan.  And Jack and Karen not only had no character growth, they were actually in a worse position having become full on charactiture   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

I would be thrilled if they ignored the finale.  Hated it.  The show was never quite the same after season 4, but I had forgotten just how bad it had become until I saw the episode right before the finale recently.   There was this nasty, hateful undertone to their relationship at that point.  

That is exactly why the finale had to play out the way it did.  Will and Grace had become the textbook definition of "co-dependents," and that co-dependency was toxic not only to their relationship but also to any attempts to build lives of their own outside of that dynamic. Going their separate ways for 20 years did them both a world of good, as it forced both of them to grow up and take responsibility for their own lives and happiness instead of always looking to each other.  By the time they accidentally reconnected while helping their kids get settled into college, they were both ready for a more mature and healthier approach to their friendship, since they'd both matured and learned to survive and even thrive on their own in healthy, normal relationships.  Notice that 20 years after Will and Grace split up, Will and Vince were still together (they probably got married not long after marriage equality became the law of the land in the US), and were happy together, as were Grace and Leo.  No, Leo was never the problem (even though Harry Connick, Jr. wasn't that great of an actor).  The problem was the unhealthy relationship between Will and Grace themselves.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I still say they could have got there with a 5 year separation, or 10 year.  Or a 2 year full separation and very limited interaction after that.  It was the full 20 years, with absolutely NO contact that seemed a bit much.   Heck, I moved from MI to PA to MN and I still run into people I went to HS with when I go home for the holidays.  And my parents no longer live where I grew up (still in MI though).

I just assumed the reboot would take up where the finale left off. These two people who used to basically finish each other's sentences get together again and have this 20-year gap to deal with. I'm interested to see that with these characters. 

I'll definitely be watching, though the quality of this show really declined badly. Over the last three seasons, there are maybe a handful of decent episodes, IMO. The first three seasons, though, hardly had a bad episode, so maybe they can recapture that early spark. 

I'm in bc I love the show.

However, I did not watch the W & G finale. I rarely watch finales bc they make me sad and are usually disappointing for me. (See Seinfeld finale, MASH and some others - too many to list here)

• Love 1

NBC upped the original order from 10 to 12 episodes. 

"Roseanne" is also coming back, they'll have an even bigger problem with trying to either incorporate or overlook the finale of the original run.

On 15/07/2017 at 3:20 AM, ButterQueen said:

What does that mean?

Traditionally sitcoms were shot in a multi-camera format, often in front of a studio audience, multi-camera formats, usually employing three cameras are shot almost like scenes from a play, an entire shoot for an episode is usually done in a single evening, because the use of multiple cameras means that multiple angles can be caught simultaneously. Single-camera set ups for sitcoms became de rigour in the mid-2000s, just as W&G was ending. Single-camera set-ups emulate film production in that scenes are shot multiple times from different angles. Because of this shooting takes 5+ days for an 18 minute sitcom episode and thus studio audiences are not  used. The original run of W&G was shot multi-camera in font of an audience, the new run is apparently not going to be.

• Love 2

This sounds dumb.  It also sounds like they're retconning the latter half of season eight, not just the finale.  At the time, Grace was pregnant, Will and Vince got back together, Will's father died, and so on.  

8 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

So much for character development and growth.

MTE and that's why it feels so lazy.  The show ended over a decade ago and they're keeping them in the same place.  Not here for them whining about single life again.  Will and Grace's codependency on each other is why they ended up where they did by the series' end, and the writers knew it. 

5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Hopefully no HCJ on the show (or very little, please).

Grace's stale saltine of a husband will be making a brief appearance, according to the article.  Nothing against HCJ personally, but I'll never understand why they saddled Grace with Leo.  Maybe they realized how bland he was and always had Leo "conveniently" traveling for work.

• Love 2

I'm looking forward to this & am happy that they are ignoring the end of the last show.  I can suspend belief & pretend I never saw the first series.  I hope they do something with the Karen character, though - she was really starting to get annoying!

• Love 2

Will & Grace Review: NBC's Revival Is as Funny as You Hoped, Maybe Funnier (from TVLine)

Dare I hope that the revival is as good as this review is suggesting? I am from Australia and things are pretty horrific if you identify as LGBT+ right now, which I do. The government has decided that apparently LGBT+ equality is something that is up for public debate and are running a postal survey asking whether the law should be changed to allow marriage equality. The no vote side are being about as dreadful as you'd expect and I kind of need this revival to be good because this show was such a comfort to me in my late teens and early 20s and I need it to be able to play that role in my life again. 

• Love 3

Yeah, that review made me happy and optimistic. I figured the show would do well based off the strength of the cast chemistry, but if the writing and jokes are solid and land well, too, even better!

I've been hearing about the craziness in Australia. That really sucks-seems many around the world are at the mercy of stupid politics nowadays, doesn't it? Here's hoping the yes side wins out in the end down there, and things turn around for the better for you guys as soon as possible. And hopefully the show will do its part to provide you some much needed comfort in the meantime. 

• Love 2

I was ambivalent on this because of all the Must See TV sitcoms I wouldn't mind seeing come back, Will & Grace wasn't on that list. In fact, it's probably the one NBC sitcom where I know I've missed episodes and seasons but don't feel a need to try to find them online or in reruns.  (Unlike Frasier, Seinfeld or Friends which I will watch in reruns often.)  However, the reviews so far have been terrific--and not just the TV Line review.  So now I'm excited and set a recording.

• Love 1

I'm still excited for the return. Even if it means I have to fork out money to watch through an online service here in Australia. Sadly unless you are called The Big Bang Theory there just isn't any room on Australian TV for sitcoms. Too busy renovating, cooking or dating for anything else. It will be nice to have a true sitcom to watch again. Now better rush off and sign up to Stan so I can watch the premiere tomorrow

• Love 1