Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E00: Guide to Wedded Bliss

• Start Topic

Relive special moments from three Brown family weddings; the entire family takes part in a commitment ceremony; Kody and Janelle's daughter Maddie says I do, at the alter.

Clip show. Guide to wedded bliss my ass. Who the hell do they think they are kidding? We get to see that horrible Green Sausage Dress again. And that should read "Maddie said I do, at the alter of Kody."

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah everyone!

• Love 14

I am so jealous.  Just a poor monogamist wishing I'd been invited to sit in the Las Vegas sun, without so much as a cracker or a cup of water, to witness a (two hours late) sand art/tree planting/statement signing/ceremony.  After a lengthy session of PITCHER taking.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, thebalconyfool said:

Bit shocking how much they have all changed.

41 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Exactly. I'm watching this thinking: "Holy crap Meri and Christine looked so much better before Sobyn."

I came here to post the same exact comments.  They all looked SO much younger and happier just a few short years ago.  If that is wedded bliss, thanks but HELL NO.   I will just stick to my monogamist marriage of the last 27 years.  

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Exactly. I'm watching this thinking: "Holy crap Meri and Christine looked so much better before Sobyn."

12 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I came here to post the same exact comments.  They all looked SO much younger and happier just a few short years ago.  If that is wedded bliss, thanks but HELL NO.   I will just stick to my monogamist marriage of the last 27 years.  

It's shocking seeing the change and it hasn't been that long of a time period. They are all shells of  their former selves. Meri was so happy and still seemed pretty smitten with Kody. Now she seems barely able to even get through a show. She sits on the couch daydreaming about being anywhere but there it seems. Even Robyn is looking pretty out of it lately, especially compared to the early clips here. Janelle is the only one that seems fairly the same, but that's just Janelle. Oh and Kody.. of course, he's always happy as a peach. As long as he has the show, he's in his glory. For the women polygamy looks pretty soul destroying. 

Edited by thebalconyfool
  • Love 12

I agree with you except for my thoughts on Janelle.  She clearly was much thinner (relatively speaking, it's Janelle) then.  Pretty evident that she eats her feelings.  The rest have aged terribly (and also gained quite a bit of weight). 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, thebalconyfool said:

I agree, she definitely eats her feelings. She was much thinner, they all were. Emotion wise, It's harder for me to get a read on Janelle. She doesn't put much out there. 

I think Janelle has come out a winner.  Her expectations were not high, so currently she might be the favourite as she only is there for Koduche's companionship (read no sex) and not have any expectations.  Koduche might just visit her more often to get away.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

When I see Robyn, I feel so bad for her as to the rumor that Cody said she "used to be the hot wife"

Don't feel too bad.  The "used to be the hot wife" will soon be the "richest ex-wife."

• Love 7

I can't believe TLC chose to show this combination of episodes. A History of Lies and Kodouchery. Pretty much every word out of their mouths during Robyn's wedding was a lie, like Meri saying how those women were her best friends and Christine shrilly proclaiming how wonderful polygamy is compared to monogamy. Their appearance alone showed they have not held up well under the pressure of both the marriages and the show. Then the commitment ceremony segment, another big fat lie. Kody is committed to himself and his hair products. But we did get to see Mykelti rocking that Dr. Seuss hat again! Where did that Mykelti go? And then basically a minute-by-minute replay of last week's episode in all it's disastrous glory (Jeezus Janelle, that speech just gets worse each time I hear it. If you don't hate each other in three years, someone isn't being honest?) Throw in a few cold sores, horrible dresses, sad grandmas, duct-taped car windows, colada rings and theme cakes, and that was really just a waste of THREE FRICKING HOURS.

ETA: I didn't actually sit and watch every minute of this shit, I just had it on in the background as I went about my evening. I'm not THAT dumb.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

When I see Robyn, I feel so bad for her as to the rumor that Cody said she "used to be the hot wife"

That rumor was put out there by Kendra, a psychopathic liar who has been cut off from the family after she allowed psycho catfisher to post her proof of an affair with Meri on the secret fan only SW FB page. She got away with tormenting and insulting fans, including hoping one person died of cancer, but Robyn had to cut her off after she confirmed Sam was a man and sold fake texts between her an Meri where Meri was admitting an affair to a tabloid. I suspect TLC made Robyn cut her off, since she seemed okay with her awful treatment of fans until that point.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Feel bad for Robyn??? Sorry, that trick deserves every bit of shade she gets. She was the hot wife that moved in and rubbed her "hotness" in the other wives faces, manipulated Koduche into divorcing Meri to 'adopt' her 3 kids (still not convinced it's a legal adoption) has a live in nanny and still whines about how hard her life is. She's getting everything she deserves.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Don't feel too bad.  The "used to be the hot wife" will soon be the "richest ex-wife."

You mean the poor ex-wife.  Since she is the legal wife she will get nothing (except maybe half of the douche's hair products?)  Just desserts I say.

Meri should have requested a meeting with Robin, her ex and Kody before divorcing.  The topic being, is the ex willing to relinquish his parental rights (or whatever the term) so Kody could legally adopt them.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I agree with the observation but have the feeling it's also got to do with having a show than the plural marriage by itself. Also moving from a more quiet area to Vegas, that doesn't help. This city is draining to small town types,  myself included (I wanna buy land in AZ and get the hell outta this town)  

I don't think they went public to "sell" this idea but to show they're somewhat normal folk who do have issues and even dysfunction. I only started watching when I realized a reality tv family lived in Vegas. I'd heard of plural families but never observed one. 

Theres things I like and don't like about this family but I don't feel disdain towards their way of life. Some folks seem to hate them. 

38 minutes ago, greekmom said:

You mean the poor ex-wife.  Since she is the legal wife she will get nothing (except maybe half of the douche's hair products?)  Just desserts I say.

Child support for 4-5 children. He'll have to pay like $2000/month.  If Robyn divorces him, she'll be very comfortable if she lives within her means and rebrands.  If she moves back to BFE Polygamy Country she can live well. 

44 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I agree with the observation but have the feeling it's also got to do with having a show than the plural marriage by itself. Also moving from a more quiet area to Vegas, that doesn't help. This city is draining to small town types,  myself included (I wanna buy land in AZ and get the hell outta this town)  

I don't think they went public to "sell" this idea but to show they're somewhat normal folk who do have issues and even dysfunction. I only started watching when I realized a reality tv family lived in Vegas. I'd heard of plural families but never observed one. 

Theres things I like and don't like about this family but I don't feel disdain towards their way of life. Some folks seem to hate them. 

I agree the show has hurt them.  It has to be hard putting your life put out there, even more so when your lifestyle isn't the norm by society standards. Even more than that, I think it has brought a lot to light for them too. They're discussing emotions openly that previously they likely tried hard to suppress. They're seeing the mechanics of the other sister wives relationships in ways they hadn't before. They're seeing their entire lives in a way that makes it impossible for them not to analyze it more. They chose to do the show though, so I'm not particularly sympathizing with the adults in the family.

While I have nothing at all against someone living a polygamist lifestyle, I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle. I don't see how any woman can possibly be whole and happy living it and I really don't think most are. We've seen the proof here and there was also the show My Five Wives. All of those wives could cry at the drop of a dime. Similar to most of the women on sister wives. They were all raw nerves with their emotions close to the surface. I'm not saying everyone is miserable who practices polygamy, but a woman's emotional and mental needs cannot possibly be met. Most simply live it because it's all they've ever known. I am glad most of the Brown girls are choosing not to live this lifestyle.  I'm sure living away from home and going to college opens their eyes to a lot as well.

• Love 4

Oh, those "commitment ceremony" dresses. I had forgotten. How could I possibly have forgotten?!! Those poor women - and I mean every single one. Including the dressmakers.

Logan was a baby! Truely really was a baby!

My heart went out to Meri now in a way it didn't at the time of the marriage to Robyn. As she tied Kody's bowtie, this was a woman in love. Not just a woman who loved her husband. She was very much in love. Big difference. And now she's probably neither.

• Love 19
Just now, kassa said:

My heart went out to Meri now in a way it didn't at the time of the marriage to Robyn. As she tied Kody's bowtie, this was a woman in love. Not just a woman who loved her husband. She was very much in love. Big difference. And now she's probably neither.

My heart went out to her too in that scene. A startling contrast to how things are today. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, thebalconyfool said:

I agree the show has hurt them.  It has to be hard putting your life put out there, even more so when your lifestyle isn't the norm by society standards. Even more than that, I think it has brought a lot to light for them too. They're discussing emotions openly that previously they likely tried hard to suppress. They're seeing the mechanics of the other sister wives relationships in ways they hadn't before. They're seeing their entire lives in a way that makes it impossible for them not to analyze it more. They chose to do the show though, so I'm not particularly sympathizing with the adults in the family.

While I have nothing at all against someone living a polygamist lifestyle, I don't think it's a healthy lifestyle. I don't see how any woman can possibly be whole and happy living it and I really don't think most are. We've seen the proof here and there was also the show My Five Wives. All of those wives could cry at the drop of a dime. Similar to most of the women on sister wives. They were all raw nerves with their emotions close to the surface. I'm not saying everyone is miserable who practices polygamy, but a woman's emotional and mental needs cannot possibly be met. Most simply live it because it's all they've ever known. I am glad most of the Brown girls are choosing not to live this lifestyle.  I'm sure living away from home and going to college opens their eyes to a lot as well.

I can agree with a good chunk of that. And as someone who has picked on them like everyone else, knowing what they're dealing with does leave me feeling empathy for them. They've still got along lineup of children to deal with--if they all threw in the towel where would that leave the children? I hate to use the word "stuck", but they kind of are. As much as we observe the strain they are living under, they're still standing by living it. 

Didn't Janelle leave for a while though? 

Some folks seem to hate them.

I admit to find them all totally distasteful and have utter disdain for their lifestyle - all polygamists, in fact.  They have a long history of supporting this crap by all kinds of welfare fraud which means we, the taxpayers, support.  Their bankruptcies also hurt those of us who pay their bills because they result in higher prices overall.  The "religion" subjugates, humiliates, and turns women into chattel Sheep Wives whose sole purpose in life is to pop out children that they cannot afford to feed, clothe, or educate.  The Browns support themselves by grifting, MLM's and this ridiculous load of crap TV show while seeing themselves as "Reality Show Stars".

I have neither sympathy nor empathy.  They made their bed when they agreed to accept a paycheck from TLC.  You sell your soul to the devil then prepare to dance with him.  Money grubbing asses, one and all.  Their only religion is money.

Do I hate them?  Let me count the ways....

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Runnergirl said:

I can agree with a good chunk of that. And as someone who has picked on them like everyone else, knowing what they're dealing with does leave me feeling empathy for them. They've still got along lineup of children to deal with--if they all threw in the towel where would that leave the children? I hate to use the word "stuck", but they kind of are. As much as we observe the strain they are living under, they're still standing by living it. 

Didn't Janelle leave for a while though? 

Yes. I guess it was due to the strain with Meri? That's what I recall anyway. Janelle is the only one who didn't grow up in a polygamist family, so I think she had a somewhat different mindset. It was easier to walk away at that time maybe. That said, I have often felt that in many ways polygamy seems to suit Janelle's personality. She wanted children, thought Kody was great, and having home responsibilities (child care, cooking) split maybe appealed to her. Maybe a one on one monogamous relationship felt like too much work for her. I'm not entirely joking. She has a very detached way about her. I think this was evidenced to even greater effect with Maddie's wedding. Meri was more involved than she was. Any time Janelle is asked to step up the plate for anything it seems almost overwhelming for her. 

• Love 5

We all perceive them differently, that's what makes the world interesting. I aim to try and understand (makes me think back to the anthropologists episode, a field of study  I'm part of).  

Do I poke fun at them sometimes? Sure. Is Kody my favorite person in the world? No way. But I don't blame them for their show, it's their main money making business right now. And we watch every second. 

Makes me wonder though how they're gonna keep 4 homes and all those kids supported and sent to college once it's cancelled........surely not from LuLaRoe or the real estate jobs (the kids should all join the military and get their college paid for). 

Anyways........

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kassa said:

They truly had chemistry between them back then.  Meri saying, "I wish it was my wedding night," with a giggle and smile was such a stark contrast to the new shows.  I can't imagine what it must  be like getting your husband ready for his wedding and wedding night - eesh.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, greekmom said:

ROBYN looked better before Robyn. 

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Meri should have requested a meeting with Robin, her ex and Kody before divorcing.  The topic being, is the ex willing to relinquish his parental rights (or whatever the term) so Kody could legally adopt them.  

I have wondered if the problem was not "adoption" per se, but if there was a provision in Robyn's divorce that she was not allowed to live with/have the kids live with a paramour.  Initially she had a separate cottage at the old homestead which may have protected her, but if Kody is part owner of her house, and since the show made it clear that he sporadically "lives" there, Robyn's ex may have been making trouble for them.  So she needed to be legally wed to avoid him suing her for custody.

Just a theory.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

I have wondered if the problem was not "adoption" per se, but if there was a provision in Robyn's divorce that she was not allowed to live with/have the kids live with a paramour.  Initially she had a separate cottage at the old homestead which may have protected her, but if Kody is part owner of her house, and since the show made it clear that he sporadically "lives" there, Robyn's ex may have been making trouble for them.  So she needed to be legally wed to avoid him suing her for custody.

Just a theory.

I think you are correct. Hadn't thought of that.  He might have been talking about going for full custody, too. The adoption talk was a lie. The truth was enough. 

Edited by wings707

For some reason, I had not watched the whole commitment ceremony dress fiasco before. 

What's bizarre is that these four women drove about 550 miles (one-way) from Las Vegas to San Francisco to look for dresses.  I've been to both cities.  Both have nice dress stores, from the large department stores (Dillards, Macys) to formal dress shops like the place where Meri ended up finding her dress.  They couldn't find anything better than what they ended up with?  David's Bridal has a large section of "mother of the bride" dresses in a variety of sizes - many of which have SLEEVES for modesty.  And they have a store 15 miles from the cul-de-sac.  

I can sew.  I took home ec in junior high, and am self-taught after that.  I used to make most of my own dresses as well as those for my daughter.  Nothing fancy, but . . . when my daughter married the first time, I made the dresses for her 3 bridesmaids.  These were sized from a 10 to an 18+; ironically, the fabric seemed identical to the royal blue satin that Janelle's dress was made from.  I could not believe that a "designer" could not create four dresses in 3 weeks, especially with her experienced mother helping out.  The contestants on Project Runway usually only have 1 or 2 days to design, buy fabric, and create custom outfits.  And then they ended up with only two of the four dresses in those three weeks!!!  And only one of those (Christine's) wasn't embarrassingly poorly done.  Yikes.

Meri's dress was awful.  Her "best friend" was doing her no favors because everything Meri put on, the friend says, "Oooh.  I like that.  It looks good."

Janelle's dress was poorly made.  Everyone kept telling her how thin it made he look.  People should not surround themselves with liars.

Christine's dress was "different"; some have referred to it as "Renaissance Fair" - but at least it looked wearable.

Robyn, of course, could just whip a LBD out of her closet.  She probably also could have pulled out 11-12 other dresses.  Because Robyn.

27 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Just a theory.

Kody did not become part-owner of Robyn's house until after they married.  When they first bought the houses, he was only on Meri's mortgage; he was added to Robyn's after they married.  

• Love 8

About an hour into the episode when Kody was doing those dance moves to the live band ... OMG I laughed out loud , rewound it about 10x , then watched it in slo-mo. Most ridiculous dance moves I've ever seen . Kodys own s******  "Carlton" dance . ???

Edited by DNR
Ninja edit
  • Love 4

Meri's dress for the commitment ceremony was not a good color for her. Olive green is one of my favorite colors--but not that material, not that kind of dress, not good with white (maybe a deep cream shade) and not good with her complexion. The black and white one she tried looked better to me  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, ChicagoChris said:

I have always hated the scene where Janelle is trying on her dress and Snake Robyn tells her how thin she looks. It is just so disingenuous of her. Janelle is far from thin, and that comment makes me wanna smack Robyn.

Ever been to a 12-step meeting? One of the first buzzwords you'll hear is "enabling". Now that I'm aware of it, I notice bubbles/pockets of people who all enable each other in their addictive behavior whether it's food, their substance of choice, or their spiritual beliefs. Having the wives eat donuts off of string was a mind-blowing WTF moment for me. Did you notice Janelle "couldn't" bite hers while all the other wives had no problem. How humiliating it must have been for her (and all of them really) to have to participate in such a spectacle. Or maybe it's just me.... Seems cruel to ask women who are clearly struggling with weight and food issues to do such a thing.

In other words:

48 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Janelle's dress was poorly made.  Everyone kept telling her how thin it made her look.  People should not surround themselves with liars.

Thank you AZCHRISTIAN. (I am also in AZ :)

I tried to watch this weeks episode but they were showing too many scenes from last week's show! It's mindnumbing and starts to feel like some sort of torture to keep seeing the same clip over and over. Don't they know we JUST saw last week's show a week ago? Plus, they play the same scene so many times that by the time the actual scene comes on, we've already seen it many, many times starting with the first time we saw the "coming up next week scene" from the week before. Seriously, how many times have we already seen the scene where Mariah tells her big news? Oh and that reminds me.... It seems pretty evident that the news is going to be that she's...not straight. If it's not, then it's click bait imo. Either way, I'll be watching!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, thebalconyfool said:

I agree the show has hurt them.  It has to be hard putting your life put out there, even more so when your lifestyle isn't the norm by society standards. Even more than that, I 

I agree. I couldn't live polygamy, but I can say consenting adults living that way is any more or less moral than other arrangements. However, they seem really miserable.

52 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Just a theory.

That could well be the case, but I do wonder if there would be a paramour/live in/cohabitator clause from her husband, who did grow up in polygamy, even if he doesn't live it as an adult.

• Love 1

None of the Browns tweeted during, or promoted this one. Meant nothing to them either I guess.

I think what bugs me the most about this family is the superiority they seem to feel about themselves. Just live people.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

Meri's dress for the commitment ceremony was not a good color for her. Olive green is one of my favorite colors--but not that material, not that kind of dress, not good with white (maybe a deep cream shade) and not good with her complexion. The black and white one she tried looked better to me  

I had forgotten Meri's dress.  Now, I am no Skinny Minnie myself, but I do know that I would not wear a shiny dress that emphasized my less-than-flat midsection.  I will never understand why Meri and her friend gushed over that dress.  It did absolutely nothing for her.  And that entire ceremony was so ridiculously over-the-top and complicated - in other words, just the way the Browns like it.

That said, I'm really starting to hate TLC.  This show was THREE HOURS.  I was certain that my DVR had accidentally recorded the show twice.  I fast-forwarded through Maddie and Caleb's section since I just watched it last week.  I was certain that we'd get a smidge of Mykelti and Tony, or a little bit of Mariah's breathless family announcement.  But instead, we all got three hours of repeated episodes.  I hope the ratings sucked.  And I hate that I contributed to the ratings in the first place.  Of course, this makes me a hypocrite.  I still watch because I still have a small bit of hope that these people are going to start telling the truth, even thought I know better.

• Love 5

I liked Christine back then and now that I'm watching these old clips, I have no idea why I did. That whispery voice and how she over prounounces her T's, not to mention "ink" instead of "ing", omg I almost killed myself she's so annoying. She goes, "Heavenly father would never do that to US." And then, "Honey, her life was changink." Holy shit. 

Everybody seemed so happy. And likeable. What a sad change. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I agree. I couldn't live polygamy, but I can say consenting adults living that way is any more or less moral than other arrangements. However, they seem really miserable.

That could well be the case, but I do wonder if there would be a paramour/live in/cohabitator clause from her husband, who did grow up in polygamy, even if he doesn't live it as an adult.

Yes...but it would be an effective way to control Robyn and mess with her life even after the divorce.  Which I imagine he would enjoy if he is as bad a guy as they have made him out to be.

• Love 1