Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E00: Guide to Wedded Bliss

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It's a Mormon thing;  maybe they want to stand out on the Family Wreath.  There are whole websites devoted to the bizarre ones.  Samples for your snarking pleasure:

Kayzin
AnnDe
Tymberlee
Tivian JoLyn
JaKoby
Rexalyn
Zoei Reign
Embyr Serenity
Lenyx
Jazlin
Riglee
Roczen
Torrick
Gannon LaMar

Rexalyn? Sounds like something you pick up from your pharmacist...........

• Love 13
9 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

They seriously need to fire Nancy. The Browns go to therapy, listen to Nancy's well intentioned advice, but turn around and do whatever they want regardless. It's a waste of time and money for them.

I like the name Aspen even though I think most city-influenced first names are pretty tacky. 'Mykelti' is a bit of a nightmare though. Christine must've been on another sugar high when she thought of that one. 

But it's Aspyn...

• Love 2

'Mykelti' is a bit of a nightmare though. Christine must've been on another sugar high when she thought of that one. 

She didn't. It's the first name of an actor in Forrest Gump (Bubba). The thing is, he pronounces it "Michael-T", not "Mu-KEL-tee"

Edited by Galloway Cave

Did you notice how they all claimed to be such good friends and so close? You would think they were 3 best friends sharing a husband and raising kids together. There was no inkling of problems.  

Fast forward to 2016: We learn that Merri and Janelle can barely sit on a sofa together and have a very rough history. 

I wonder if that "happy family" image is the image that Robyn got also? Was she expecting that loving family or did she know that there were a lot of problems under the surface?  She looks so miserable now.   

My opinion is that Robyn believed she was getting that happy family.  She lived a few hours a way and didn't really get to see daily life, only the smiling plyg faces!  Then Robyn moved in and found out...there are problems. A lot of problems.   A fourth wife also shifted the balance and not in a good way.   She didn't get the new best friends and support she thought she would.  She got jealous, bitter and unhappy wives who smile outwardly.  Then Robyn started to act up.  Things went south from there.  And here we are in 2016....

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 10

Not a Meri fan but I think her idea of becoming a professional wedding coordinator is a great idea. She could claim to specialize in plyg ceremonies. She seemed to be on the ball at Maddie's wedding. This could be a successful business and really help build Meri's terribly sagging self-esteem. 

Someone on Cynical Jinx mentioned that Caleb's squirrel cheeks are an indication of heavy drinking. Is that true ? I noticed his huge cheeks at my first viewing of the wedding. When I was forced to watch it yet again in the Bliss episode, I noticed it again and also that his family does not appear to have this feature. Caleb's neck and torso look thin but his cheeks are ginormous. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

A bunch of the kids InkSpeak too. It's a Utah Thing. Drove me nuts when I lived there.

Oh is it ?? Well I don't want to insult mid westerners lol  I should talk , I've got a Noo Yawk accent ?. There's so many other annoying things about Christine , I won't blame her for something she can't help 

• Love 1

Wow ! Could Janelles mother-of the-bride  toast have been anymore negative & depressing at the wedding table ...Talk of hating people & tough times - geez , talking about your life with kodouche & sister bitches for your toast? Save that for your fake therapist visits   Yikes?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ChicagoChris said:

Not a Meri fan but I think her idea of becoming a professional wedding coordinator is a great idea. She could claim to specialize in plyg ceremonies. She seemed to be on the ball at Maddie's wedding. This could be a successful business and really help build Meri's terribly sagging self-esteem. 

Watching some of Meri's FB live LLR events, I would not recommend her for any job or career which requires client facing/customer service skills. 

She's coming across as a real bitch. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

It's a Mormon thing;  maybe they want to stand out on the Family Wreath.  There are whole websites devoted to the bizarre ones.  Samples for your snarking pleasure:

Kayzin
AnnDe
Tymberlee
Tivian JoLyn
JaKoby
Rexalyn
Zoei Reign
Embyr Serenity
Lenyx
Jazlin
Riglee
Roczen
Torrick
Gannon LaMar

Ha! The more you know .... 

I learn so much on PreviouslyTV 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ChicagoChris said:

Someone on Cynical Jinx mentioned that Caleb's squirrel cheeks are an indication of heavy drinking. Is that true ? I noticed his huge cheeks at my first viewing of the wedding. 

People have commented on Tony's looks but I don't think Caleb is much better looking. He looks like a Jethro. Then when he shaved all his hair off and is left with that giant white head. BLECH!

Just me? I'll show myself out....

• Love 13
10 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Watching some of Meri's FB live LLR events, I would not recommend her for any job or career which requires client facing/customer service skills. 

10 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

& that's just selling ugly leggings & whatnot.

Professional wedding planners do much more than make sure people walk at the right pace...double check on tubs filled with water & don't  grab books of matches to light tables full of  candles.  

A pro would never scream out  "you forgot the rings" 

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Kayzin
AnnDe
Tymberlee
Tivian JoLyn
JaKoby
Rexalyn
Zoei Reign
Embyr Serenity
Lenyx
Jazlin
Riglee
Roczen
Torrick
Gannon LaMar

I'm snickering. Rexalyn....JaKoby.... Mormon culture is a little crazy. They did get one thing right though: Funeral potatoes. Those are the bomb.

11 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

But it's Aspyn...

Lmao, I forgot! I completely take back what I said. Aspyn is the prettiest Brown girl though.

Edited by NotEatingKale
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, NotEatingKale said:

They did get one thing right though: Funeral potatoes. Those are the bomb.

YES!!

...even loved by our favorite catfish...until someone pointed out to "him" that they aren't vegan.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

YES!!

...even loved by our favorite catfish...until someone pointed out to "him" that they aren't vegan.

I make that style potatoes once a year. Way too heavy to make more than once a year, they're that good. 

And a true vegan (versus a poser vegan) would already know that dish is not vegan. What an idiot. Even more idiotic that "he" is trying to continue to run with this story......in "his" own little bubble of unreality. It would be a good "Catfish" episode to get this person on camera and admit to it, being it's high profile (because recent seasons are becoming tiresome).

Edited by Runnergirl
Auto "correct" was incorrect. Should be renamed autoincorrect.
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

People have commented on Tony's looks but I don't think Caleb is much better looking. He looks like a Jethro. Then when he shaved all his hair off and is left with that giant white head. BLECH!

N/M. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521

They did get one thing right though: Funeral potatoes. Those are the bomb.

I add chopped, cooked bacon to them. And since we eat them Christmas morning, we call it Death by Christmas. 35 year tradition in my family.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Im with you, there. 

I felt sad for his family watching the emotional stuff, but his ever expanding face and yokel behaviours distracted me. 

I think he's a redneck and makes my vag slam shut just like FT does, but not my choice, so who cares?

• Love 7

The show Catfish tried to get "Sam" on, but she wouldn't do it. One of the other victims of a female persona tipped them off when Meri was still heavily involved with "Sam" and Jackie wouldn't respond, so there was no show. A factoid I picked up from reading Meri's Twitter when "Sam" first made an appearance and people were tweeting to her that he was Jackie. She probably just blocked them.

"Sam" did send Jackie to Meri's with another woman's money to invest $10k in her MLM scam, which did make Meri think he may be legit, but she had to ignore an awful lot of info to continue that relationship. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Christina said:

The show Catfish tried to get "Sam" on, but she wouldn't do it. One of the other victims of a female persona tipped them off when Meri was still heavily involved with "Sam" and Jackie wouldn't respond, so there was no show. A factoid I picked up from reading Meri's Twitter when "Sam" first made an appearance and people were tweeting to her that he was Jackie. She probably just blocked them.

"Sam" did send Jackie to Meri's with another woman's money to invest $10k in her MLM scam, which did make Meri think he may be legit, but she had to ignore an awful lot of info to continue that relationship. 

I did not know people were warning Meri as soon as "Sam" appeared--I thought she was warned after the relationship was established. That changes my perception a bit.

So after being warned immediately and given the catfish's real name, she still went on to have a relationship with someone she knew might be fake. Yeah, she sure did ignore an awful lot of info. Why make herself believe someone is "real" when she knew from the get go that person was fake? 

Not interested in debating the "right/wrong" of this whole thing but the WHY.

• Love 3
On 12/28/2016 at 11:47 AM, 3girlsforus said:

I live on the east coast but I was recently at a Walgreens and the cashier's name was Tiphanee. It was all I could do to get out of there without laughing right in front of her. 

I knew a Tiphanee (Tiphanie?). The first time I read her name, I said Tip pahn ee. I think she moved to the west coast.

4 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

I did not know people were warning Meri as soon as "Sam" appeared--I thought she was warned after the relationship was established. That changes my perception a bit.

So after being warned immediately and given the catfish's real name, she still went on to have a relationship with someone she knew might be fake. Yeah, she sure did ignore an awful lot of info. Why make herself believe someone is "real" when she knew from the get go that person was fake? 

If I were locked in a miserable prison for the rest of my life --or all eternity--I might jump at a hope of escape, however faint.  

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I knew a Tiphanee (Tiphanie?). The first time I read her name, I said Tip pahn ee. I think she moved to the west coast.

If I were locked in a miserable prison for the rest of my life --or all eternity--I might jump at a hope of escape, however faint.  

Meri definitely appeared sad, lonely and depressed in the couple seasons before the catfish. I could almost feel her loneliness and felt like Kody was pushing her right out the door, and every woman wants to feel wanted and loved. I can understand that part of what she did. But why take a chance on a fake?

• Love 2
On 12/28/2016 at 1:50 PM, DNR said:

Ha! The more you know .... 

I learn so much on PreviouslyTV 

It's a midwestern thing too. I work wth the public and the spelling!  Ugh. 

10 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

I remember seeing her twitter when it was going down.  She was ALL in.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

Meri definitely appeared sad, lonely and depressed in the couple seasons before the catfish. I could almost feel her loneliness and felt like Kody was pushing her right out the door, and every woman wants to feel wanted and loved. I can understand that part of what she did. But why take a chance on a fake?

Why take a chance on a fake?  Jackie/Sam was as close to real as a fake can get.  She met Sam's "assistant."  Money was invested.  Fake websites.  Gifts, calls, pictures, etc.  It would be easy to be sucked into that, especially when you're so lonely.

• Love 2

I hate to actually say this, because JO probably reads here, but she is a very good, very very good con artist. She roped Meri in first by acting as a friend, and discussing "Sam's" girlfriend with her, and then broke that off because he was falling for Meri. Meri was contacted after she posted a photo on Twitter of the flowers "Sam" sent her and another woman, and the three were joking around. There were three or four tweets to her that "Sam" was Jackie. Well, "Sam" was just her friend, there was no harm in their friendship, so she ignored it and probably blocked them. The Browns block everyone who tweets at them, and people who comment here and on Cynical Jinx's blog with the same name as they use on Twitter, but have never actually tweeted them.

"Sam" moved in for the kill. In the earlier texts posted by JO, you see Meri saying the conversation was going too far, and that "Sam" didn't know her. But, "Sam" responds to her what a great person she is, how caring she is, what a great wife she was, etc. Meri caves. If she had been honest in her brief appearance on that catfish documentary, she would have explained how this all worked; but she didn't. Instead, she claimed she was sought out to break her family apart because they were polygamists. 

"Sam" would then get pissy and angry about something stupid, and hang up on her. JO would then call, in whatever the Australian alter-ego's name was, and tell Meri how upset "Sam" was, and she should call an apologize. She did. A long life of groveling to a man primed her for that response. "Sam" assured her that he wasn't saving the texts or voicemails. I truly believe that Meri was a trophy for the catfisher, along with a possible blackmail scheme. Only JO discovered that Meri didn't own much and didn't have a lot of money. 

A production person from TLC followed "Sam" on Twitter for a hot minute way back at the beginning of the scam, after Meri was warned. Meri took to text messaging and stopped publicly tweeting him. After Alaska, when she made it clear to the family she was thinking about leaving for a while, I think a person from the show sat her down with the information that proved "Sam" wasn't real. According to the texts posted, and the how the subject was explained by the catfisher, Meri had spoke to "him" on the phone the night she returned home, with great plans of leaving the in the next few days to move with "him" to Chicago. She had broke up with her family, told them she was leaving, and they were planning their life together. The next day, she demanded that "he" meet with her at a Jamba Juice, and "he" got mad at her for making demands and broke it off. 

The entire time period this was happening was a series of emotional abuse and manipulations that the catfisher played expertly. When you want to know why someone could fall for it, Meri is a textbook case. She had just been manipulated into giving up the marriage license, something she valued much, much more than she would admit, and was in a prime position for the catfisher to move in. You see it a lot after divorces or deaths of long-term marriages.

A simple, honest, response from her about how it all went down would have gotten her the sympathy she deserved for the emotional blackmail and abuse she suffered at the hands of a sociopath. But instead, and in the Browns' typical fashion, she blamed it on someone trying to persecute her for being a polygamist, and lost a lot of the goodwill she deserved. She ignored a lot to continue in that relationship, including never meeting "Sam" and the photos that didn't match up as being the same person, at all; they were clearly different men. It was clear that the photos she was sending of the one man was not 40. The actor/model was 26, I think, and looked it. The photos were easily searched and discovered to be the other man when they were finally disclosed. She ignored it because she wanted to believe it was true, and was being manipulated into believing it was true. 

• Love 18
On 12/27/2016 at 0:43 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

And wasn't Mariah standing right there in the doorway when Meri said it?  Eesh is right.

The whole thing was uncomfortable on so many levels.  At least for me it was.  But Meri seemed happy as a clam, Kody was beaming, and Mariah seemed just fine with it all.  Actually, Meri seemed the happiest and most in love that I've ever seen her in that clip ... where she is fixing the bowtie of husband (of like 15? years) so he can go marry ......

I didn't see that same thing you did, not saying you're wrong, just a different take on it. I saw it- the way she was looking at him- more as wistful- like remember when you felt like this for me (and do you still? did you ever?)- probably kody was so psyched about getting some strange he was actually being nicer to meri in the meantime and she was grateful for any crumbs and actually trading on the 'Look how cool with this I am' as a way to sort of get more crumbs. Her saying "I wish it were my wedding night' is woman-testing language to see what he would say or how he would react- though it was a lame test because he was so over-the-top he would have grabbed just about anyone and went 'yeah baby, you're lookin' hot, mama' or some other such idiocy. That whole scene made me sad for her, not only because of the fact that the kodster is an airheaded horndog, but the fact that Meri may have been deluded that things would 'go back to normal' (whatever that is according to them).

But they never did, even though she saw all the red flags, how he totally blew her off in mexico, the scene in one of the beginning episodes where he is leaving to go drive to see #4 and Meri is basically crying. Somehow she thought ok, this 'new' period will pass, they will start having respect for the rest of us. Maybe this will settle him down. Think of the excuses we make for people we love, even if it isn't this debacle.  I believe it was like that. She looked the other way until she got a pinched nerve.

• Love 6

I hate to actually say this, because JO probably reads here, but she is a very good, very very good con artist. She roped Meri in first by acting as a friend, and discussing "Sam's" girlfriend with her, and then broke that off because he was falling for Meri. Meri was contacted after she posted a photo on Twitter of the flowers "Sam" sent her and another woman, and the three were joking around. There were three or four tweets to her that "Sam" was Jackie. Well, "Sam" was just her friend, there was no harm in their friendship, so she ignored it and probably blocked them. The Browns block everyone who tweets at them, and people who comment here and on Cynical Jinx's blog with the same name as they use on Twitter, but have never actually tweeted them.

"Sam" moved in for the kill. In the earlier texts posted by JO, you see Meri saying the conversation was going too far, and that "Sam" didn't know her. But, "Sam" responds to her what a great person she is, how caring she is, what a great wife she was, etc. Meri caves. If she had been honest in her brief appearance on that catfish documentary, she would have explained how this all worked; but she didn't. Instead, she claimed she was sought out to break her family apart because they were polygamists. 

"Sam" would then get pissy and angry about something stupid, and hang up on her. JO would then call, in whatever the Australian alter-ego's name was, and tell Meri how upset "Sam" was, and she should call an apologize. She did. A long life of groveling to a man primed her for that response. "Sam" assured her that he wasn't saving the texts or voicemails. I truly believe that Meri was a trophy for the catfisher, along with a possible blackmail scheme. Only JO discovered that Meri didn't own much and didn't have a lot of money. 

A production person from TLC followed "Sam" on Twitter for a hot minute way back at the beginning of the scam, after Meri was warned. Meri took to text messaging and stopped publicly tweeting him. After Alaska, when she made it clear to the family she was thinking about leaving for a while, I think a person from the show sat her down with the information that proved "Sam" wasn't real. According to the texts posted, and the how the subject was explained by the catfisher, Meri had spoke to "him" on the phone the night she returned home, with great plans of leaving the in the next few days to move with "him" to Chicago. She had broke up with her family, told them she was leaving, and they were planning their life together. The next day, she demanded that "he" meet with her at a Jamba Juice, and "he" got mad at her for making demands and broke it off. 

The entire time period this was happening was a series of emotional abuse and manipulations that the catfisher played expertly. When you want to know why someone could fall for it, Meri is a textbook case. She had just been manipulated into giving up the marriage license, something she valued much, much more than she would admit, and was in a prime position for the catfisher to move in. You see it a lot after divorces or deaths of long-term marriages.

A simple, honest, response from her about how it all went down would have gotten her the sympathy she deserved for the emotional blackmail and abuse she suffered at the hands of a sociopath. But instead, and in the Browns' typical fashion, she blamed it on someone trying to persecute her for being a polygamist, and lost a lot of the goodwill she deserved. She ignored a lot to continue in that relationship, including never meeting "Sam" and the photos that didn't match up as being the same person, at all; they were clearly different men. It was clear that the photos she was sending of the one man was not 40. The actor/model was 26, I think, and looked it. The photos were easily searched and discovered to be the other man when they were finally disclosed. She ignored it because she wanted to believe it was true, and was being manipulated into believing it was true. 

Very well thought out response, thank you. 

Like others, I would feel more empathy for Meri had she been more open about it. Meri (and even Kody) saying it was just "friends" is bs--I understand why Mariah is slow to warm back up to her mother. She knew.

• Love 6

This should be a pinned post/FAQ topic. Excellent summary of what went down!

• Love 5
On 12/27/2016 at 9:15 AM, VedaPierce said:

i don't feel sympathy or empathy for lazy, ignorant, willfully delusional people. I don't feel sorry for Michael Scott. I laugh at Michael Scott.

At least Michael Scott showed some emotional growth.  These women seem to have gone in the opposite direction. 

• Love 1

Sorry,  can't quote on this device. Christina,  100 likes for your post.  All Meri has to do is say "Oh my gosh.  I was in a sad place and got taken advantage of. I wish I had relied on the love of my family and let them know about the dark place I was in. I am embarrassed at my actions. I was searching for love and friendship and I was wrong". This all blows over in a few weeks. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 12
26 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Sorry,  can't quote on this device. Christina,  100 likes for your post.  All Meri has to do is say "Oh my gosh.  I was in a sad place and got taken advantage of. I wish I had relied on the love of my family and let them know about the dark place I was in. I am embarrassed at my actions. I was searching for love and friendship and I was wrong". This all blows over in a few weeks. 

Exactly!  The story blows up because of the lie. Lies will always make things worse.

• Love 6

If Meri was honest, she could have appeared on some of the daytime talkshows to discuss the dangers of catfishes for an adult audience.  It would have increased the value of her brand ten-fold and helped other lonely women.

• Love 7

Ok, I recorded this while on vacation. First off 3 hours???? Then it keeps hammering at me how much frou-frou these people need in their lives. Dresses, lights, decorations, mission statements. It's all a bit much, so much theater. Jars of sand, cake trees, hair dos...I just get exhausted with how much ceremony in day to day life these folks need. Maybe if they worked for a living they could do with less pageantry. 

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

It's all a bit much, so much theater. Jars of sand, cake trees, hair dos...I just get exhausted with how much ceremony in day to day life these folks need.

The Browns finally have a little bit of money to dress up the pig. Otherwise, they would still be staring at the simple fact that they are four sad, simple women sharing a horrible man who doesn't/can't give a rat's ass about them and they brought a bunch of kids into the situation too.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Ok, I recorded this while on vacation. First off 3 hours???? Then it keeps hammering at me how much frou-frou these people need in their lives. Dresses, lights, decorations, mission statements. It's all a bit much, so much theater. Jars of sand, cake trees, hair dos...I just get exhausted with how much ceremony in day to day life these folks need. Maybe if they worked for a living they could do with less pageantry. 

Note that most of that is Christine's doings. Anything to distract her from how unhappy her situation is. She's like Nikki from Big Love and her excessive spending out of boredom and searching for attention. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

This 1000x!!! This is their families whole problem and it's becoming the norm for society in general unfortunately. Instead of just admitting you made a mistake, blame everyone else and refuse to take any responsibility whatsoever.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, preciousperfect said:

This 1000x!!! This is their families whole problem and it's becoming the norm for society in general unfortunately. Instead of just admitting you made a mistake, blame everyone else and refuse to take any responsibility whatsoever.

5 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Yes! Blaming others doesn't allow the people involved to truly move on from the event. Even though it's difficult at first, owning up to what one has done makes it easier to heal and move on from it because it's real. You did it, admit it, bare your soul even if it hurts, take responsibility and try to be a better person while moving on from it. That's far more admirable than proclaiming, "it wasn't my fault!" all while minimizing the issue at the same time. 

Part of me feels like Meri wanted to bare her soul but something/someone prevented this from happening, at least for purposes of the show. 

• Love 2

I think it's very possible that Kody and/or TLC have dictated what Meri should say about the catfish . I keep hearing people say Meri should have said this or that, but we have no idea what she said to Kody or anyone else in the family. Reality shows give the illusion we are seeing everything in these people's lives but that is far from the truth.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 7:38 PM, Absolom said:

Ratings: 524K viewers and .14 rating.   Abysmal.

Abysmal. Sounds like a name Christine might have used had she had another baby.

Speaking of interesting names, I used to watch Say Yes to the Dress (but lost interest after my daughter's wedding). Anyway, I remember an episode in which a Mormon family was looking for a modest dress. One of the young women (perhaps the bride?) was named Duvet. When the sales rep asked the mother about the name, she said "She's very comforting."

I still laugh when I think about it. 

• Love 20
6 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Abysmal. Sounds like a name Christine might have used had she had another baby.

Speaking of interesting names, I used to watch Say Yes to the Dress (but lost interest after my daughter's wedding). Anyway, I remember an episode in which a Mormon family was looking for a modest dress. One of the young women (perhaps the bride?) was named Duvet. When the sales rep asked the mother about the name, she said "She's very comforting."

I still laugh when I think about it. 

Please tell me you're lying. Please.

Mormon baby names are very entertaining.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Please tell me you're lying. Please.

Mormon baby names are very entertaining.

OK, I double-checked. 

Her name is pronounced "Duvet" (as in the bed covering) but it's spelled DUVAE. Much, much better, right? :)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Jordan Baker said:

OK, I double-checked. 

Her name is pronounced "Duvet" (as in the bed covering) but it's spelled DUVAE. Much, much better, right? :)

Because now it sounds like a laxative instead of a bed covering? Yes. Much better.

• Love 7