Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I venture that most of us haven't killed, dressed and then cooked anything we have caught/raised?

Don't puncture the guts.

That's the most important rule.

------

I bag on jiggy all the time, but today?

I looked down and saw that MY dog had on a sweater.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, zoeysmom said:

The only the situation could have been avoided is if Erika would have worn pants.

That's really the bottom line. I doubt that was the only clean dress in her closet. She seems so desperate to get that dang puss some dang attention it makes me doubt that it gets any at home.  From her need to pat the puss to her necklace and tee shirts. I'd say she has very, very many fucks to give about it.

ETA well it's got a whole plot line, now! lol

• Love 19
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'm the asshole who wishes all the time that I could find tiny light-blue old-man pajamas for my two long-haired cats, so...

You don't cart the poor thing all over hill and dale, as an accessory, do you?

the AHPO club is a select group.

--------

I have some cat hats and shit like that.

No cat, tho.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ElDosEquis said:

You don't cart the poor thing all over hill and dale, as an accessory, do you?

the AHPO club is a select group.

--------

I have some cat hats and shit like that.

No cat, tho.

Oh, good lord no. While I'm not sure they even know there is an outside (other than when we go to the vet), I'm sure they'd hate it there. In fact, I don't think they even know there are other cats in the world. But they'd look so cute in pajamas. Maybe I need a good Photoshopper.

If I had a dog, I would probably take it places with me though. Not all the places, mind you!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Huh.  Who knew that it was possible to find nefarious intentions behind somebody's efforts to help stop animal torture, as well as find loving homes for homeless animals.  I truly do learn new things every day. 

Personally I don't fault anyone for trying to make a difference where they can, when they can - no matter what the charity. I think that trying to make the world a better place should be applauded, not condemned. Even when you can't stand the person doing the good deed. 

Like I can't stand Joanna Krupa (from the now-defunct Real Housewives of Miami) but I still cheer on her animal rights activism. And even Lisa V annoys me at certain times - I am not a Lisa apologist by any means!  But, ...it's possible to separate the person/personality from their actions.

Absolutely. I agree with all of this.

To me, this goes back to what I've often observed when it comes to criticizing Lisa as a person. 

I've said before that when the women on the show are complaining about Lisa, apart from Kyle, they rarely ever bring up anything good. She supposedly tried to mother Brandi on camera. She didn't attend Kim's daughter's graduation. She encouraged Brandi to bring tabloid magazines on a trip. She called Adrienne's dog "crackpot" and didn't hold her daughter's bachelorette party at the Palms. She said that she heard Yolanda's kids were healthy. She encouraged Rinna to say WhateverTF.

In this case, we have Lisa being criticized for her charitable work because she's supposedly doing it just to make herself look good. If this isn't nitpicking on somebody, I don't know what is. The expression "Bitch eating crackers" comes to mind.

Isn't the main point that she's helping animals and people with her time and money on a regular basis?

Also, is it really so ridiculous and unconscionable that a person who has a job that involves them appearing on camera as themselves for the purposes of a reality show would want to make a positive impression on people if possible? She wants to look good (in terms of personality and appearance) on camera. BFD. Is there a single woman on any RH franchise that doesn't go into the season wanting to make a positive impression on the viewers no matter how deluded they might be in going about it? 

• Love 24
16 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, good lord no. While I'm not sure they even know there is an outside (other than when we go to the vet), I'm sure they'd hate it there. In fact, I don't think they even know there are other cats in the world. But they'd look so cute in pajamas. Maybe I need a good Photoshopper.

If I had a dog, I would probably take it places with me though. Not all the places, mind you!

I worked for a company who had offices all over So Cal.

People would bring their pets into work with them and, I have to say, the people with money (and the offices in BH) were the absolute worst pet owners.

------

I just hate to see the poor animals (Not you, Bambi - I'll play catch with you until your legs fall off.....) on the HWs shows.

It's not the animals fault, it's the owners that irk me.

• Love 1

There's plenty more than the Vanderpump Dog Foundation to snark on:

Kyle putting the kibosh on LVP's day drinking. Followed by LVP claiming to have seen “what Mr. Girardi has been munching on for the past twenty years.”

Product placement for Sheraton, QVC, Escape Room LA's The Alchemist, and Kyle's TV Land show, American Woman starring Alicia Silverstone and Mena Suvari.

LVP asking Erika and Dorit if they're good. Meaning Pantygate'll drag on at least as long as Affairgate.

PS. Realitytea is calling Dorit's husband "Peek-K": http://www.realitytea.com/2016/12/28/real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-recap-pantygate/

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, editorgrrl said:

There's plenty more than the Vanderpump Dog Foundation to snark on:

Kyle putting the kibosh on LVP's day drinking. Followed by LVP claiming to have seen “what Mr. Girardi has been munching on for the past twenty years.”

Product placement for Sheraton, QVC, Escape Room LA's The Alchemist, and Kyle's TV Land show, American Woman starring Alicia Silverstone and Mena Suvari.

I didn't realize that Mena Suvari had been cast. I see that she's playing a character named Kathleen. My understanding was that the show would only have two daughters and not three, so I wonder if Mena is going to be a combination of Kim and Kathy. (Or maybe there will turn out to be three daughters after all.) 

In this episode and others, Mauricio sounds like he's just as excited about the project as Kyle is. He sounds really happy for her and that was nice to hear. 

I'm most curious how Kyle's family is going to respond to the show. Even if it's a fun, light, and flattering portrayal of them as a family, I can see Kathy and Kim both getting testy over the fact that these are essentially Kyle's memories and she's the one who is going to give the world a narrative of their family. Kathy seems controlling enough where I feel like she wouldn't be thrilled. I can also see jealousy issues at play with both sisters.

Edited by Avaleigh
Because two and three are not the same.
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

I didn't realize that Mena Suvari had been cast. I see that she's playing a character named Kathleen. My understanding was that the show would only have three daughters and not two, so I wonder if Mena is going to be a combination of Kim and Kathy. (Or maybe there will turn out to be three daughters after all.) 

In this episode and others, Mauricio sounds like he's just as excited about the project as Kyle is. He sounds really happy for her and that was nice to hear. 

I'm most curious how Kyle's family is going to respond to the show. Even if it's a fun, light, and flattering portrayal of them as a family, I can see Kathy and Kim both getting testy over the fact that these are essentially Kyle's memories and she's the one who is going to give the world a narrative of their family. Kathy seems controlling enough where I feel like she wouldn't be thrilled. I can also see jealousy issues at play with both sisters.

I believe there were rumors floating around that Kathy was furious about Kyle's new show. She was worried that her secrets (drugs/partying) would be exposed. I never read anything about how Kim feels but after her claiming Kyle "stole" her GD house" I doubt she was all that thrilled at first either. Hopefully they realize that Kyle would never portray the family in a negative light by revealing their real dark sides, Kyle prefers to remember the good/happy times and forget/gloss over the darker times.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

Absolutely. I agree with all of this.

To me, this goes back to what I've often observed when it comes to criticizing Lisa as a person. 

I've said before that when the women on the show are complaining about Lisa, apart from Kyle, they rarely ever bring up anything good. She supposedly tried to mother Brandi on camera. She didn't attend Kim's daughter's graduation. She encouraged Brandi to bring tabloid magazines on a trip. She called Adrienne's dog "crackpot" and didn't hold her daughter's bachelorette party at the Palms. She said that she heard Yolanda's kids were healthy. She encouraged Rinna to say WhateverTF.

In this case, we have Lisa being criticized for her charitable work because she's supposedly doing it just to make herself look good. If this isn't nitpicking on somebody, I don't know what is. The expression "Bitch eating crackers" comes to mind.

Isn't the main point that she's helping animals and people with her time and money on a regular basis?

Also, is it really so ridiculous and unconscionable that a person who has a job that involves them appearing on camera as themselves for the purposes of a reality show would want to make a positive impression on people if possible? She wants to look good (in terms of personality and appearance) on camera. BFD. Is there a single woman on any RH franchise that doesn't go into the season wanting to make a positive impression on the viewers no matter how deluded they might be in going about it? 

Brandi's complaint wasn't *really* that Lisa was mothering her, though. Especially after it was pointed out that Yolanda was also guilty of mothering Brandi, too.

The real beef Brandi had was that Lisa was pretending, on camera, to care about her (the "mothering" part), when off-screen she had basically washed her hands of Brandi following the tampon pics. Whereas Yolanda had been in contact with Brandi even when the cameras had stopped rolling.

I hate being a Brandi apologist here, but Ken even admitted at the reunion that they had pulled back from Brandi, which LVP wouldn't even admit at the time.

Lisa has a long list of detractors saying that she portrays herself as one thing on camera, proclaims to be such an open book, but is anything but off camera. That, and she's petty as fuck, and stealthily goes after any and everyone who dares speak out against her. Good grief, look at all the accusations she leveled at her "good" friend Kyle when public sentiment had turned against her in S2. LVP was more than happy to paint Mauricio as a cheater and his/Kyle's support of the Maloofs as one of convenience. Lisa can play dirty with the rest of them. I don't think that's nitpicking, I think that's just game recognizing game. The only difference is, LVP is the one HW who cops the least to her dirty deeds. I'll give Kyle credit for frequently and repeatedly owning up to her mistakes in a way Lisa never will.

People are free to like her, but I don't think the complaints about her or her establishments are coming out of thin air. Plenty of people have had unpleasant interactions with her, so why people have a difficult time believing anyone could have a legitimate gripe about her is beyond me. 

Edited by KFC
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, WireWrap said:

LOL I have tried to think of ways PK or the others could have let Erika know on camera, that she was inadvertently flashing them, without embarrassing her further in the moment and I can't. I really believe that had someone brought it to her attention right there and then, Bravo would have included a screen shot of her fuzzy nether regions on camera right before they showed that someone cluing her in. LOL

But could they still see after the napkin cover up? Because Kyle at least mentioned that she thought it was just Erika's panties until Erika admitted that she wasn't wearing any and that's how Kyle figured what she saw. Perhaps by the time they realized what they were looking at, Erika had rectified the matter with the napkin...except for PK who looked like he realized what he was looking at and was going out of his way to look some more even with the napkin on her lap, lol. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Kim will probably go around screaming "Kyle stole my God damn show."

Kyle is like the Little Red Hen, she makes it rain for she and Kim, and gets the snot knocked out of her.  My guess is the daughters are probably Kyle and Kim.  Kathy is 10 years older and probably not involved in Kyle's memories to the degree Kim was.  Kyle was the one for RHOBH, she got her sister a job. 

Kyle's new show is being billed as a "dramedy"  http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-woman-tv-land-series-greenlight-1201911704/ so it may very well be it started with Kyle's thoughts and reflections as a child but it is about something bigger.  Kyle was born 1n 1969 so a '70s show she would have to have a really good memory.  To me it sounds like "Mad Men" the next decade and Betty Draper lived.    

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, KFC said:

Brandi's complaint wasn't *really* that Lisa was mothering her, though. Especially after it was pointed out that Yolanda was also guilty of mothering Brandi, too.

The real beef Brandi had was that Lisa was pretending, on camera, to care about her (the "mothering" part), when off-screen she had basically washed her hands of Brandi following the tampon pics. Whereas Yolanda had been in contact with Brandi even when the cameras had stopped rolling.

I hate being a Brandi apologist here, but Ken even admitted at the reunion that they had pulled back from Brandi, which LVP wouldn't even admit at the time.

Lisa has a long list of detractors saying that she portrays herself as one thing on camera, proclaims to be such an open book, but is anything but off camera. That, and she's petty as fuck, and stealthily goes after any and everyone who dares speak out against her. Good grief, look at all the accusations she leveled at her "good" friend Kyle when public sentiment had turned against her in S2. LVP was more than happy to paint Mauricio as a cheater and his/Kyle's support of the Maloofs as one of convenience. Lisa can play dirty with the rest of them. I don't think that's nitpicking, I think that's just game recognizing game. The only difference is, LVP is the one HW who cops the least to her dirty deeds. I'll give Kyle credit for frequently and repeatedly owning up to her mistakes in a way Lisa never will.

People are free to like her, but I don't think the complaints about her or her establishments are coming out of thin air. Plenty of people have had unpleasant interactions with her, so why people have a difficult time believing anyone could have a legitimate gripe about her is beyond me. 

In my post I specifically said that Kyle was the the exception. I absolutely agree that she's had some legitimate grievances with Lisa. 

I can believe that people have legitimate gripes about Lisa. My point was, when most of these women (again, save Kyle) try to come for Lisa, they always come up with some petty ridiculousness. Brandi gave Lisa absolutely zero reason to be loyal to her both offscreen and on, so Brandi's tears about them pulling away from her rang very hollow for me. Again, she gave them zero reason to be loyal to her and every reason to want to extract her out of their lives based on Brandi's behavior rather than it being the other way around. Plus, consider that even after Ken and Lisa pulled away, Brandi still wanted to be back in with them in a major way. Why would Brandi want to be back in with such a dirty player? She wasn't without allies on the show, so that can't have been the reason.

I can understand people not liking her or her businesses or shows. It's the complaints about her charitable efforts that I find puzzling. That's where it seems like the dislike of her as a person makes it so that she can't do anything without coming across as offensive for certain people.

I thought the Joanna Krupa comparison was a very good one. I despised what I saw of Joanna on Miami but my dislike of what I saw of her on that show doesn't extend to me being bothered in any way by the charitable work that she does for animals. 

• Love 12
39 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

But could they still see after the napkin cover up? Because Kyle at least mentioned that she thought it was just Erika's panties until Erika admitted that she wasn't wearing any and that's how Kyle figured what she saw. Perhaps by the time they realized what they were looking at, Erika had rectified the matter with the napkin...except for PK who looked like he realized what he was looking at and was going out of his way to look some more even with the napkin on her lap, lol. 

I think Dorit knew what she was seeing, not just PK and I suspect that Kyle was being nice/tactful in saying she didn't realize she was seeing skin and not undies. IMO, I don't think Lisa realized right away, at least until Erika acknowledged that she was commando and that was why she pulled the napkin up Erika's lap.  Also not buying that Erika was vigilant in keeping the napkin or her clutch in place during the whole time she was sitting because we all saw she wasn't. Having said all that, I still believe that her exposure was accidental and not on purpose but I am not sure she really cared 1 way or the other if something happened.  You know, the "zero F's and all" attitude. LOL

12 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

In my post I specifically said that Kyle was the the exception. I absolutely agree that she's had some legitimate grievances with Lisa. 

I can believe that people have legitimate gripes about Lisa. My point was, when most of these women (again, save Kyle) try to come for Lisa, they always come up with some petty ridiculousness. Brandi gave Lisa absolutely zero reason to be loyal to her both offscreen and on, so Brandi's tears about them pulling away from her rang very hollow for me. Again, she gave them zero reason to be loyal to her and every reason to want to extract her out of their lives based on Brandi's behavior rather than it being the other way around. Plus, consider that even after Ken and Lisa pulled away, Brandi still wanted to be back in with them in a major way. Why would Brandi want to be back in with such a dirty player? She wasn't without allies on the show, so that can't have been the reason.

I can understand people not liking her or her businesses or shows. It's the complaints about her charitable efforts that I find puzzling. That's where it seems like the dislike of her as a person makes it so that she can't do anything without coming across as offensive for certain people.

I thought the Joanna Krupa comparison was a very good one. I despised what I saw of Joanna on Miami but my dislike of what I saw of her on that show doesn't extend to me being bothered in any way by the charitable work that she does for animals. 

This! Lisa is far from perfect, even for those of us that like her, and for all her many sins/gaffs/mistakes/pot stirrings, her charitable work and her "causes" are admirable, not questionable.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I think Dorit knew what she was seeing, not just PK and I suspect that Kyle was being nice/tactful in saying she didn't realize she was seeing skin and not undies. IMO, I don't think Lisa realized right away, at least until Erika acknowledged that she was commando and that was why she pulled the napkin up Erika's lap.  Also not buying that Erika was vigilant in keeping the napkin or her clutch in place during the whole time she was sitting because we all saw she wasn't. Having said all that, I still believe that her exposure was accidental and not on purpose but I am not sure she really cared 1 way or the other if something happened.  You know, the "zero F's and all" attitude. LOL

I don't believe it was intentional either but given Erika's attitude, I'm curious if her reaction was because she doesn't know PK well or if it was because it was brought to her attention. It would have probably been a lot easier to laugh off for her had Dorit said nothing and Erika didn't find out until she watched back the episodes. Or maybe not - Erika has a poker face so you never know when she's going go with the joke or when she's going to take offense.

I was thinking it was possible that they didn't know the truth until after they saw what they saw but even if they knew what they were looking at it, it's still difficult to address the situation without bringing attention to it. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I don't believe it was intentional either but given Erika's attitude, I'm curious if her reaction was because she doesn't know PK well or if it was because it was brought to her attention. It would have probably been a lot easier to laugh off for her had Dorit said nothing and Erika didn't find out until she watched back the episodes. Or maybe not - Erika has a poker face so you never know when she's going go with the joke or when she's going to take offense.

I was thinking it was possible that they didn't know the truth until after they saw what they saw but even if they knew what they were looking at it, it's still difficult to address the situation without bringing attention to it. 

I agree, there was no possible way to let Erika know about this while they were filming, none, without making matters worse. But, Erika, being a HW vet, knows production will push the others to discuss what happened on camera, it is what they all get paid to do after all, even her, so no way around it. It was up to her how to respond and she did well until she got upset and a bit nasty to Dorit. Yes, Dorit, the newbie, took it a bit too far but as the veteran HW, Erika just could have kept laughing it off with her "zero Fk's" attitude winning praise from viewers and the other HWs as well, instead she drew a line in the sand between her/Dorit for the rest of the season.

I do think Kyle, Dorit and PK knew what they saw, they all were facing Lisa and Erika but were to embarrassed to say anything to her on camera, the on camera bring the key! Although, someone should have told her once the cameras were gone so that she didn't make the same mistake at the party. (IMO, that person should have been Kyle as she was the only one in a good place with Erika at the time this happened but I can see Kyle as being uncomfortable letting her know)

• Love 4
On 12/28/2016 at 3:52 PM, ElDosEquis said:

LOL, I can hear "Rosado"  right now, "Cabron perro tumbo toda la basura por todo el piso.. Pinche perro boboso'

"Todos los dias tengo que juntar todo la mierda de los pendojo caballos........"

All I got out of that was shit of little bastard horses.

Yeah, there was no way to let Erika know that she was exposed in that situation.  It was a small group in a small seating area.  Where was PK supposed to move to?  Was he suppose to casually walk around and stand behind Ken and Lisa?  That was his only choice and wouldn't have that looked quite awkward?  PK, why are you standing behind Ken and Lisa when we're talking as an intimate group?  Add to this, we have no idea of how long they were sitting there.  How long was that whole scene? 

Erika knew she had a problem with her dress.  She claims in her blog last week that she put a napkin there to cover herself as soon as she sat down (not true BTW as we've seen for ourselves).  It was her problem and she knew it.  Why is it the responsibility of others?  Crap, it would have distracted the heck out of me and I don't give a crap about Erika's privates.   Add that, Dorit did say that she didn't know if it was an accident or on purpose but probably it was an accident.  She doesn't 'know' Erika.  Heck, why didn't Erika cross her legs?  Don't get me wrong.  I do think it was an accident but don't most women cross their legs when they sit down?  All the other women had their legs crossed.

I applaud Lisa and Ken's involvement with saving and preventing cruelty to animals.  Maybe with their public stand, they will also learn that animals used as food are also treated cruelly, and eventually they will take a stand on that as well....beginning with the meat they serve in their restaurants.  Life is a process.  Let's applaud their progress and their involvement with it.  Can they do more because of their restaurants?  Absolutely and I hope they do.

• Love 8

As someone who married into cattle raisers, y'all are exhausting! My in- laws would never make any money if they "tortured" their livestock.

Back to matters at hand: am I the only woman in America who thinks it's more than a bit squicky to go commando? Remember the hated word "moist?" I don't want my micro moist nor do I want my moist parts dragging on some bar couch.

• Love 20

How freaking weird would it have been for PK, a guy Erika had met twice, to pull Erika aside and tell her that he could see Erika's Jayne. Erika is being disingenuous when she acts like she'd have been cool, cool, cool with PK telling her that. Girl, stop lying.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, rhys said:

As someone who married into cattle raisers, y'all are exhausting! My in- laws would never make any money if they "tortured" their livestock.

Your in-laws notwithstanding, factory farming and the gross, inhumane treatment of most animals raised for meat is real. Millions upon millions of animals are quite literally tortured every year. It's great that you married into a family that apparently treats their livestock well, but that doesn't mean this isn't a real issue.

• Love 5

How freaking weird would it have been for PK, a guy Erika had met twice, to pull Erika aside and tell her that he could see Erika's Jayne. Erika is being disingenuous when she acts like she'd have been cool, cool, cool with PK telling her that. Girl, stop lying.

I confess, I've told people I've never met that some shit was wonky. As far as I know, it was OK. Whether they cared or not, I do not know!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

In re-watching Erika after the Escape Room, she reminded me of the dog bite defense:

(1) First of all, I don't have a dog.

(2) If I had a dog, it doesn't bite.

(3) If I had a dog and it did bite, then it didn't bite you.

(4) And, if I had a dog and it did bite, and it bit you, then you provoked it.

Erika is very wife of a lawyer in her denial of the accusations and putting the blame on someone else.

(This legal strategy also appears to be the one Kim Richards has used repeatedly.)

• Love 18
On December 28, 2016 at 1:56 PM, SoCal4Us said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Erika knew exactly what she was doing, for crying out loud she pays people to dress her whether she's Girardi or Jayne in the moment.  There is no way that a dress that form-fitting and short isn't going to ride high when she's sitting.  In addition, she had already announced that she wasn't wearing any panties lol.

And with her team of dressers she knew what sort of undergarment would suit the dress. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Your in-laws notwithstanding, factory farming and the gross, inhumane treatment of most animals raised for meat is real. Millions upon millions of animals are quite literally tortured every year. It's great that you married into a family that apparently treats their livestock well, but that doesn't mean this isn't a real issue.

This is very true, and of course LVP is in a unique position because she has relationships with people who supply the meat for her restaurants and has the choice of how involved she wants to be/how important it is that the products be sourced as humanely as possible. Perhaps it is very important to her but instead of highlighting this on her restaurant websites she chooses to mention the mood lighting and sexy environment. 

One thing to highlight here is that LVP has said she is not an Animal Advocate. She has said she is a dog lover and that her concern rests entirely on the way dogs are treated. She has never claimed to have any interest in the way other animals are treated. She could certainly be judged by concerning herself with the cute creatures and the lack of concern about others, but it is true that she has always been open and honest about her passions and concerns.  I cannot really find a way to criticize her for her passion, as she is honest about it. It is clear that the love she feels for dogs is real and heartfelt. She is taking the voice she has on the show and using it to do something she cares about. Even though I have many issues with her, I find this trait to be admirable. This is even while I recognize that she is hardly taking a controversial position. Wanting to end dog torture would be something that most people would rally behind. It's not as if she is working to make sure woman have access to contraception and healthcare, or god forbid safe and legal abortions. These things are much more controversial. Can one imagine if one of her passions was working with Planned Parenthood? Not to take a position or get political, but it is always easy to become passionate on these shows if something is non-polarizing. Doing charity work for a hospital, bringing awareness to domestic abuse, etc. All of it extremely important and necessary work and I am glad to see the gals talking about it. But I would love to see someone shine a light on something they are concerned about that wouldn't be guaranteed to make people love them. Even if it's a position I don't agree with, it would be fascinating to see, IMO. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

This is very true, and of course LVP is in a unique position because she has relationships with people who supply the meat for her restaurants and has the choice of how involved she wants to be/how important it is that the products be sourced as humanely as possible. Perhaps it is very important to her but instead of highlighting this on her restaurant websites she chooses to mention the mood lighting and sexy environment. 

One thing to highlight here is that LVP has said she is not an Animal Advocate. She has said she is a dog lover and that her concern rests entirely on the way dogs are treated. She has never claimed to have any interest in the way other animals are treated. She could certainly be judged by concerning herself with the cute creatures and the lack of concern about others, but it is true that she has always been open and honest about her passions and concerns.  I cannot really find a way to criticize her for her passion, as she is honest about it. It is clear that the love she feels for dogs is real and heartfelt. She is taking the voice she has on the show and using it to do something she cares about. Even though I have many issues with her, I find this trait to be admirable. This is even while I recognize that she is hardly taking a controversial position. Wanting to end dog torture would be something that most people would rally behind. It's not as if she is working to make sure woman have access to contraception and healthcare, or god forbid safe and legal abortions. These things are much more controversial. Can one imagine if one of her passions was working with Planned Parenthood? Not to take a position or get political, but it is always easy to become passionate on these shows if something is non-polarizing. Doing charity work for a hospital, bringing awareness to domestic abuse, etc. All of it extremely important and necessary work and I am glad to see the gals talking about it. But I would love to see someone shine a light on something they are concerned about that wouldn't be guaranteed to make people love them. Even if it's a position I don't agree with, it would be fascinating to see, IMO. 

Your mention of it has made me think back to a time when any HW on any franchise has ever used their platform for something that is controversial and I can't think of anything off the top of my head. It would certainly be interesting to see. There was an episode of the Kardashians where Kendell wanted to get involved in more charity work and use her platform for good but when Kim suggested a group that were advocates of gun control, Kendell believed in the cause but had anxiety about openly supporting such a group because she was afraid of the backlash she might get due to the controversial nature of the subject. I know the Kardashians aren't the most authentic type of reality show but I do think Kendell's situation is a reflection of something that celebrities likely go through when it comes to using their platform to speak out on matters. It's the ones that show little care for public opinion (in which case, can become the very reason people like them), that are willing to delve into the really controversial topics.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, rhys said:

Back to matters at hand: am I the only woman in America who thinks it's more than a bit squicky to go commando? Remember the hated word "moist?" I don't want my micro moist nor do I want my moist parts dragging on some bar couch.

Party of 2!  You are not the only one.

If Lisa Rinna was such a good friend to Erica, she should have given her a box of Depends.  No panty lines!  And discreet. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I initially thought that Erika handled the situation well. I thought she was especially gracious when she got the "gift" of panties from Dorit and complimented Dorit's taste. If it had ended there, I wouldn't have anything to say, but where Erika lost me was when she acted like she didn't understand why the subject was talked about at all. She also expected PK to be the one to give her a heads up in front of everyone that he could see? To me, that seemed like a strange expectation that wouldn't cut down on the embarrassment factor at all. (If embarrassment was what she was feeling for being called out.)  She wasn't happy that he caught a look but she would have been cool with it if he'd let her know that she was on display? That doesn't make sense to me.

a very long time ago when we all wore super-short skirts like Ally McBeal, I had on panties (probably bikinis) & pantyhose, and I was filing in a cabinet so bending occasionally.  This was in front of a male manager's office.  I worked for someone who worked for him. The JERK was sitting with another MALE and he CALLS me into the office and says "I can see your underwear when you bend over."

Methinks he should have either ignored that, closed the freaking door, or if he really needed to share that info, he could have had a female speak with me.  I think I blurted out an apology & ran away...very, very embarrassing!!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Thank you for the thought provoking post. For the posters who are more familiar with the contracts that these women sign, are there any rules about putting a spotlight on political charities? I'd never really thought about it before, but I can definitely see production wanting to discourage politics being brought up on the shows. I have to think that some of these women were politically active in some way this season but doubt we'll ever see anything controversial of that nature at the risk of it being too polarizing for viewers. 

I'll admit that I'd be fascinated to know how certain housewives voted and if any of them are passionate about political organizations. The only housewives I can think of off the top of my head who have gone on record regarding the most recent election are Teresa, NeNe, and Brandi. I also recall reading something about Mauricio's mom tweeting a bunch of Hillary supporters before the election which I found to be interesting since she wasn't the type I'd have pegged for a Twitter war. 

I think it would be cool to learn that a housewife is supportive of something like the ACLU. 

With something like Planned Parenthood or gun control, I just see Andy saying a big loud NO WAY. 

2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Your mention of it has made me think back to a time when any HW on any franchise has ever used their platform for something that is controversial and I can't think of anything off the top of my head. It would certainly be interesting to see. There was an episode of the Kardashians where Kendell wanted to get involved in more charity work and use her platform for good but when Kim suggested a group that were advocates of gun control, Kendell believed in the cause but had anxiety about openly supporting such a group because she was afraid of the backlash she might get due to the controversial nature of the subject. I know the Kardashians aren't the most authentic type of reality show but I do think Kendell's situation is a reflection of something that celebrities likely go through when it comes to using their platform to speak out on matters. It's the ones that show little care for public opinion (in which case, can become the very reason people like them), that are willing to delve into the really controversial topics.

I was trying to remember if any of the DC wives supported anything controversial but too much time has passed for me to be able to recall. 

18 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

Thank you for the thought provoking post. For the posters who are more familiar with the contracts that these women sign, are there any rules about putting a spotlight on political charities? I'd never really thought about it before, but I can definitely see production wanting to discourage politics being brought up on the shows. I have to think that some of these women were politically active in some way this season but doubt we'll ever see anything controversial of that nature at the risk of it being too polarizing for viewers. 

I'll admit that I'd be fascinated to know how certain housewives voted and if any of them are passionate about political organizations. The only housewives I can think of off the top of my head who have gone on record regarding the most recent election are Teresa, NeNe, and Brandi. I also recall reading something about Mauricio's mom tweeting a bunch of Hillary supporters before the election which I found to be interesting since she wasn't the type I'd have pegged for a Twitter war. 

I think it would be cool to learn that a housewife is supportive of something like the ACLU. 

With something like Planned Parenthood or gun control, I just see Andy saying a big loud NO WAY. 

I was trying to remember if any of the DC wives supported anything controversial but too much time has passed for me to be able to recall. 

It was reported that Lisa only came back this season after production/Bravo agreed to show more of her charity/cause work this season. That even though she has always done things during filming, very little of it made it past editing. I think more HWs on BH and NY have had their charity involvement shown than other cities, with the OC a slightly distant 3rd.

We may see more political discussion on the NY show if Carole has any say, she was very active during this past election and is still at war with the President elect on twitter. LOL How much of that makes it past editing is up to production though, we already know that Carole doesn't really care about offending viewers but production/Bravo might.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Avaleigh said:

My guess - and it is just a guess - is that they can tout whatever they want, but it might not make it on the air. 

Some of the gals were/are vocal on social media about who they voted for. Heather on the OC show made it clear she supported HRC over on Twitter, and both Kyle and Lisar seemed to indicate HRC support as well. Of course you have the extreme in Carole from the NY franchise who made her dislike of Donald Trump and the results of the election very clear on Twitter. This caused many people to become very upset with her, and she engaged like crazy. She had the nerve to discuss things on Twitter like fear of the privatization of Medicare/SS, discrimination of folks with pigment in their skin, and fears of the future of women and their health care. Many people didn't like it and she didn't care. Of course she went on record several seasons ago on the show as saying she was a Democrat, which also angered many, so it is no surprise to hear her views. I will be anxious to see if she talks about it on the show, since they had already begun filming at the time of the election and this seemed to be something she was extremely passionate about. 

I think there is a major fear from the HW's and the network that people don't want to hear their views on these things. They are looking for an escape from the news and don't want to hear about politics on Bravo. Of course, it is not so many years ago that the view about things like LGBTQ rights would have been at the very top of that list, but things have changed and it is a safe topic to discuss (for the most part, and certainly among the viewers of these shows). 

I remember hearing something from the brilliant Linda Bloodworth Thomason years ago when she was doing Designing Women. She said she had no problem selling CBS on the idea of 4 determined and opinioned Southern women doing a sitcom, but they became very uncomfortable when they realized she wanted to talk about such controversial and political topics. The network felt like people wanted silliness and escapism in their comedy. They didn't want to listen to people editorialize or lecture them. She was convinced that deep, polarizing, and dividing topics could be viewed as entertaining if done right. They tackled gun control, discrimination of women in the church, and all kinds of other topics that divided the country. They took on AIDS when it was extremely controversial, and did a whole show on sexual harassment and the Clarence Thomas hearings. It was political a good deal of the time, yet people still tuned in and found it entertaining. I wonder if a show like that could have made it had there been Twitter and Facebook and other social media, which would have hammered away at everyone involved relentlessly, which is what happens to a HW who dares to share controversial views. 

• Love 12

I didn't realize that Mena Suvari had been cast. I see that she's playing a character named Kathleen. My understanding was that the show would only have two daughters and not three, so I wonder if Mena is going to be a combination of Kim and Kathy.

Didn't Kyle say Alicia Silverstone is playing Big Kathy? She and Suvari are peers, so it seems doubtful the latter would be playing the former's daughter.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, jaync said:

Didn't Kyle say Alicia Silverstone is playing Big Kathy? She and Suvari are peers, so it seems doubtful the latter would be playing the former's daughter.

You are correct-Bonnie (Alicia Silverstone) has two friends and two daughters in the cast.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Your mention of it has made me think back to a time when any HW on any franchise has ever used their platform for something that is controversial and I can't think of anything off the top of my head. It would certainly be interesting to see.

LVP advocates for LGBT rights, and that is still highly controversial in many parts of the country.  Not in Hollywood, and not on Bravo, but quite a few other places, it's still a BIG controversy.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

It was reported that Lisa only came back this season after production/Bravo agreed to show more of her charity/cause work this season. That even though she has always done things during filming, very little of it made it past editing. I think more HWs on BH and NY have had their charity involvement shown than other cities, with the OC a slightly distant 3rd.

I hadn't noticed any great charitable scenes on RHNYC since the exit of Heather and Kristen. 

I kind of got the impression this episode was tying in with LVP's new dog foundation and her luxury pet products, which were being featured with personal appearances with LVP and Giggy in NYC and WeHo and of course SPOT, the place we saw she and Ken with the dogs.   A portion of the sales of the luxury dog products are donated.  Kyle's gift for Christmas was a rescue from SPOT.  So the exposure is working.  Reading Bravo's website they have gone to the dogs covering all the Bravo and other celebrity pets.  There are interviews with Kyle describing the personalities of her four (now five), videos of Portia and Kyle seeing the new puppy, Storm for the first time.  Most of the RHOBH ladies have dogs, Rinna has one who won't stop barking, Eileen has one the just constantly begs for apologies, and Erika has one that guards her possessions, hikes on the furniture but is always fashion forward.  Sadly this has come to light about Yulin,  http://qz.com/873377/carrie-fishers-final-protest-was-against-chinas-dog-meat-festival-with-her-beloved-pet-gary-at-her-side/ Carrie fisher had a therapy dog Gary, that was her constant companion.   

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, izabella said:

LVP advocates for LGBT rights, and that is still highly controversial in many parts of the country.  Not in Hollywood, and not on Bravo, but quite a few other places, it's still a BIG controversy.

No doubt, it is still controversial in some sets, but for the most part (and certainly with the Bravo demographics) it is not. The tide has turned and even folks who are homophobic try to moderate their views in public so as not to appear intolerant. Well, not all, but many try to make an attempt to package their contempt in a moderate fashion). For the most part, we would slay a person on one of these shows who was homophobic. Even things that are seen as slightly offensive ("my gays") can cause an uproar. It is expected that these women embrace LGBTQ issues, or certainly that they not be offended by them. Bottom line, LVP is in no danger of angering her fan base by advocating for this community, and she might be if she advocated for other progressive issues. 

• Love 3

Phaedra Parks has highlighted the Black Lives Matter movement on RHoA.  Well, mostly herself in relation to BLM, but it's a topic that has definitely been discussed between castmates and with their children on camera the past couple of seasons.  

Edited by kassa
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, rhys said:

Given the reaction in the thread last week, I'm quite sure you are not the only one. People seemed fairly appalled. I've gone commando a couple of times because of an outfit - though not in a short skirt, I would never. That said, in a short skirt it's usually better to keep your knees together rather than crossing your legs. Short skirts ride up more when you cross your legs. 

I actually thought Erika handled the whole panty gift pretty well. Better than I would have expected give her usual lack of humor and over sensitive nature. I think she only got upset when it came to her attention that everyone and their brother were getting their rocks off laughing about it behind her back. I don't blame her. That sucks.

As a fellow woman, I definitely think Kyle should have said something to her that night if it was THAT obvious. A simple text across the table would have gotten the job done. I would never have let another woman sit there like that without saying something.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

No doubt, it is still controversial in some sets, but for the most part (and certainly with the Bravo demographics) it is not. The tide has turned and even folks who are homophobic try to moderate their views in public so as not to appear intolerant. Well, not all, but many try to make an attempt to package their contempt in a moderate fashion). For the most part, we would slay a person on one of these shows who was homophobic. Even things that are seen as slightly offensive ("my gays") can cause an uproar. It is expected that these women embrace LGBTQ issues, or certainly that they not be offended by them. Bottom line, LVP is in no danger of angering her fan base by advocating for this community, and she might be if she advocated for other progressive issues. 

Yes, but Lisa openly supported it before the majority of people did and she obtained the legal ability to marry same sex partners when it was still controversial to do so.

• Love 7

If the show becomes just a setting for advocacy, there could be huge issues.  Would a RH be hired because she advocates for a position the producers and Bravo support?  Would others be hired for contrary views and given a bum edit?  I am pretty content with the formula where they show them with family and doing their other jobs (except I have seen way too much of Erika Jayne and Skinnygirl), travelling, going to parties and getting to know one another-as long as they don't ask too many questions.  ;-).   

This particular group is pretty vocal about trying to force their views on how someone else should behave in a certain situation.  Everyone seems to think they would have handled Erika's crotch shots differently but her two good friends failed to give her the head's up on what had transpired.  Funny how that works-Eileen being outraged in her blog, knowing she had called the situation the "Crotch Chronicles". 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

Given the reaction in the thread last week, I'm quite sure you are not the only one. People seemed fairly appalled. I've gone commando a couple of times because of an outfit - though not in a short skirt, I would never. That said, in a short skirt it's usually better to keep your knees together rather than crossing your legs. Short skirts ride up more when you cross your legs. 

I actually thought Erika handled the whole panty gift pretty well. Better than I would have expected give her usual lack of humor and over sensitive nature. I think she only got upset when it came to her attention that everyone and their brother were getting their rocks off laughing about it behind her back. I don't blame her. That sucks.

As a fellow woman, I definitely think Kyle should have said something to her that night if it was THAT obvious. A simple text across the table would have gotten the job done. I would never have let another woman sit there like that without saying something.

I agree, that Kyle should have told Erika but only after they left for the White party so that she didn't repeat exposing herself to a wider audience, also to give her a heads up that some had already seen it so she could prepare for the on camera talk about her that would naturally follow. Telling her during filming, even in a text, would have alerted production and they would have made sure they had captured the exposure on camera.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Yes, but Lisa openly supported it before the majority of people did and she obtained the legal ability to marry same sex partners when it was still controversial to do so.

Yes of course, and I don't mean to diminish LVP's commitment. This is one of the things I admire about her. But it is hardly controversial in her set or with her fans, nor was it when she joined the show. If I understand her history correctly, some of the bars they owned in England were frequented by the LGBT community, so obviously she would have championed their cause. Just pointing out that she is hardly taking any risks in her commitment to this cause with her fans. This is an expectation they have of her. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Yes of course, and I don't mean to diminish LVP's commitment. This is one of the things I admire about her. But it is hardly controversial in her set or with her fans, nor was it when she joined the show. If I understand her history correctly, some of the bars they owned in England were frequented by the LGBT community, so obviously she would have championed their cause. Just pointing out that she is hardly taking any risks in her commitment to this cause with her fans. This is an expectation they have of her. 

Yes and No. Yes, there would not have been a risk with those that already knew her/her causes before the show but it was a risk, 1 she was willing to take, when she joined because the majority of the audience did not know her.

• Love 2

As far as Bravo is concerned, which made it's contemporary reality bones with Queer Eye, followed up by Project Runway, there would be zero risk for any RH of any city, previously known or not, to be an LGBTQ advocate. It would seem that viewers of the network should have been aware, especially by 2006 when OC debuted, that it was a LGBTQ friendly network.

On a completely different note, this episode showed that old clip of Erica acting again.  I swear she looked like she could have been Joey Lauren Adams' doppelganger in that movie/show, even sounding similar.

• Love 1