Type keyword(s) to search

Season 34: Previews and Speculation

Daisy
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

And now I'm hoping Sandra gets there. "I can't see ya in the distance, but I reckon you need the guidance of the greatest player ev- . . . aw, shheeeeeeet." "Hey, you! How ya been? Did you remember to wear a hat that isn't flammable?"

ETA: With Sandra on the cast, I think the only "legend" qualified to give advice would be Parvati. I have given her shit in the past, but look at her record: fifth, first, second. She's played 114 days out of a possible 117. But I reckon we'll end up with Rupert, who will dispense wisdom in-between makeout sessions with the missus.

*bangs head on desk and weeps softly*...crap, I forgot all about Rupert.  Please, no.  No, no, no, Survivor, just no.

It's totally going to be Rupert, isn't it.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

*bangs head on desk and weeps softly*...crap, I forgot all about Rupert.  Please, no.  No, no, no, Survivor, just no.

It's totally going to be Rupert, isn't it.

That was my first thought as well. I won't mind if it turns out the way it did when he appeared on an episode of Survivor Israel where the reward was that Rupert would come stay with the winning tribe for a couple of days and teach them how to survive, but all that happened was that he demonstrated that he couldn't make fire, couldn't catch a fish, and couldn't find a coconut. In pretty short order, the survivors just started going about their business, while appearing to politely wonder why Rupert was still in their camp.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

That was my first thought as well. I won't mind if it turns out the way it did when he appeared on an episode of Survivor Israel where the reward was that Rupert would come stay with the winning tribe for a couple of days and teach them how to survive, but all that happened was that he demonstrated that he couldn't make fire, couldn't catch a fish, and couldn't find a coconut. In pretty short order, the survivors just started going about their business, while appearing to polite wonder why Rupert was still in their camp.

As long as he doesn't demonstrate how to build a shelter by digging a hole 5 feet from the ocean, I guess I could stand it.

I lied, I couldn't.  I'm so over that guy.

• Love 5
Just now, Special K said:

Although I would love to see how Sandra would react to Rupert of all people being brought in as an expert.

No, I lied.  Even that wouldn't make it ok.

"you shoulda listen to me, all you heroes. now I'm the queen and go away."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Please don't be Phillip. 
Please don't be Rupert. 
Please don't be Russell. 

Please be Hatch. 

I pity the cameraman if Debbie and Phillip wound up on Exile alone together.

crap, I forgot about Rupert.  Please leave him and his moldy tie dye back home.  He's almost as worse as JT at this game.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

My hope was that it was Richard Hatch and that Probst was going to announce that they were going "old school" from that point on.   Guess not with E I in the mix.

When I saw the boat I did think Terry--who had to leave due to his son's heart transplant (second chances?) IIRC he was on the first season where they introduced EI  and I think he was another of Jeff's sweethearts.  So that is my pick I suppose.

Perhaps they are going to do a smattering of different "game changers" on the eps. to come.  Perhaps they'll do a redemption Island twist on one and do a challenge with the vote-outs to bring another player back (forget what that was called)  (at this point I hope not)   

I pray the it's not Rupert, Boston Rob or Russell.   

I cannot imagine what "advice" someone could possibly give unless it's a clue or an aid that will help in a challenge.  Otherwise what?  "Make bold moves?"  "Watch out for Sandra--she's real goood".  "always bring your idol to TC?"   

• Love 4

The next episode is titled

Spoiler

"Vote Early Vote Often."

Seemed like a weird quote but now it makes sense.  

I'm going with Boston Rob, Rupert, or Parvati.  Bonus points if Parvati says she swung by pre jury Ponderosa and laughed at JT for never learning.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Maybe it's Dan Foley.

What if it's Rupert AND Dan Foley?!??  And their wives???

Gosh, the speculation just keeps getting worse and worse.  I hope this doesn't keep me up at night.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like an idiot but I still don't get it lol.

Spoiler

Me neither.  Unless it means that someone gets one of those dreadful extra votes.

Edited by Special K

Sorry, the last part of my original post got cut off.  It sounds like whoever the visitor is could be giving the quote-and that's their advice to whoever they are suppose to be mentoring.

BTW, are ep titles considered spoilers?  I didn't think they were.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Maybe it's Dan Foley.

If only Chris Farley were alive, it could be Matt Foley.

chris-farley-matt-foley.jpg

If it's Boston Rob, i'm probably going to throw something at my TV. Or at least turn it off.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Daisy said:

Please be Hatch. 

Is Hatch allowed out of the country?  After all his legal problems stemming from his tax problems, he wasn't permitted to leave the US for a while.  I don't know if that's still the case (or was still the case at the time of this season's recording.

But because of that issue, I'm not going to expect him to show up anytime soon.

Just now, KimberStormer said:

I literally can't think of anything good that could happen with this returning player thing except if it was Courtney and she was there to be permanent jury foreman.

Better: Courtney for permanent Ponderosa hostess, but Eliza for jury foreman.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Is Hatch allowed out of the country?  After all his legal problems stemming from his tax problems, he wasn't permitted to leave the US for a while.  I don't know if that's still the case (or was still the case at the time of this season's recording.

But because of that issue, I'm not going to expect him to show up anytime soon.

Oh i keep forgetting that. 

drat. 
I go with the Eliza/Courtney combo though. 

Wouldn't the visitor be a previous contestant that has changed the game in some ways, as per the theme of this season? Which contestant that is not on the current cast that has changed the game could it be? Russel is the one that comes to mind immediately. Like him or not, he has changed the game when he first played. Other than that, maybe Boston Rob? I don't really know if Rupert would qualify as a game changer... I don't like Parvati, but she certainly would qualify as a game changer.

I like Rob and everything, but I don't really see how he's a game changer.  He was fun TV, and I know he won-but it was in his 4th try, in a season where if he had managed to lose, he should have barred his name from every being associated with Survivor again.  And two of his four attempts he didn't even make the jury.

I saw a new preview today, and there was a clip of Jeff at TC saying "once again, I am speechless."

• Love 1

Considering some of the people they've cast this season, I'd say Rob far more classifies as a game changer than many of them - Ciera, Michaela, Sierra, Troyzan, Sarah, etc. I could go on. Rob may have taken four chances to win (and by that token Cirie shouldn't be counted as a game changer either since she's never won and I like Cirie) but he also managed to get to the end dominating in challenges and with an obvious alliance that no one stupidly went after.

Hell you can consider his getting Lex to save Amber while he was on a whole other tribe game changing. Rob and Amber is a big reason why people adamantly break up any pairings as soon as they start. I'd consider that game changing. Because again, if you want to be really nitpicky, what game changing thing did most of these people do?

• Love 9

True, although since Rob/Lex were friends outside the show, I don't know if getting him to save Amber was a huge deal.  Lex showed he didn't vote with a lot of common sense that season, anyway. 

I don't know if winning really makes one a game changer (since there's several people whose wins seemed to be more based on popularity/spite for the other finalists than anything they really did in the game).  Cirie's made a lot of decent moves, and also caught some unlucky breaks (namely the Micronesia finale only have a final 2 vs a final 3).   

(edited)
14 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know if winning really makes one a game changer

I agree, which is why I have no issues with Cirie being cast. But I don't think it's fair to use Rob's winning on his fourth try as proof positive that he wasn't that good of a player or a game changer but someone like Cirie who has lost all three times she's played, is. The fact of the matter is there has always been a lot of luck that goes into winning Survivor in my opinion. Look at Malcolm this season. One stupid twist and J.T.'s being a moron got him booted.

Does that mean he played a bad game? Like I said, I don't know if I think anyone truly changed the game so much as the Producers changed and evolved the game throughout the years. But if we're going to cast a mute like Sierra who did nothing in her season, then I cannot imagine Rob being dismissed as a game changer. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

I don't think Rob is even half the player the show/majority of the audience/he thinks he is, but he's definitely more of a game changer than like at least half the people cast this season.

And if I had to choose between Rob, Russell, or Rupert coming back for this dumb little appearance, I'd choose Rob for sure. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I get chills when I hear Rupert's name, and not in a good way.  I really hope the last time we saw him was the last time we saw him.

I'm curious if the show would ever consider bringing Russell back, after the fiasco with Brandon and Willie (was that Russell's brother?)  I know he didn't technically do anything wrong, but just the stigma of being called Hantz.  Plus, he'd be a first out, because it doesn't seem like anyone that has been on this show likes him. 

I'd rather see non of the above again.  But I guess Rob is better than a lot of alternatives.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm curious if the show would ever consider bringing Russell back, after the fiasco with Brandon and Willie (was that Russell's brother?)  I know he didn't technically do anything wrong, but just the stigma of being called Hantz.  Plus, he'd be a first out, because it doesn't seem like anyone that has been on this show likes him. 

I think if Russell never comes back it'll be more because he spoiled both his seasons than anything about Brandon and Willie. But honestly I could see them bringing him back because for some reason they think he's entertaining. 

22 minutes ago, Fiftyninth said:

I'm sort of secretly hoping for a little Pearl Islands Outcast craziness, with Scoutmaster Lil brought back for a visit. 

Or Wanda, the woman who was voted out singing! Now this is a game changing move!

• Love 2

Technically, Wanda was not chosen by Ulong. They had to pick between her and Angie.

Imagining more Exile Island encounters involving Sandra . . .

"Lo, you have come across the most beloved Survivor of all-. . .  oh. Hi, Sandra." "Oh, my God. Is that the same tye-dye shirt? It is, isn't it?? Haven't seen you in years. I forgot what your wife looks like. I'll probably see her at the post-show party. She'll be the one with rug burns over her personal area."

"How ya doin'! I'm a humble guy who just so happens to be the best player in this show- . . . you?!?" "Me, Rob. I'm two-for-two. You're one-for-four, and you didn't make the jury twice! You know what woulda happened if Tyson didn't fuck you by accident? I woulda fucked you on purpose!"

• Love 2

Oh dear lord...  If it is Boston Rob who is coming back, can't you just hear the tongue bath introduction that Probst is going to give him on his triumphant return?  "You're all gamechangers, but today--for one day only--we have brought back the real, one true Gamechanger, the best we've ever seen, the Emperor of Survivor, the one...the only...BOSTON ROOOBBBBBB!!!!!!!"

(My only other bit of speculation is what if--for some reason, illness, injury, whatever--Probst can't host the challenges or Tribal Council.  Who would be the best to fill in, taking into account understanding and knowledge of the game, name and face recognition, and just for sheer likeability and geniality as a substitute host?  Yeah, Boston Rob would be awesome at that.  I'd bet he'd conduct an awesome Tribal Council...)

• Love 1
On 4/4/2017 at 1:19 AM, himela said:

Or Wanda, the woman who was voted out singing! Now this is a game changing move!

Yes! Oh yes please she needs to be on the roster for the formulating crazies tribe. She can entertain the exiled one and if they don't gouge out their ears or quit, they get immunity.  

On 4/4/2017 at 1:26 AM, Lantern7 said:

Technically, Wanda was not chosen by Ulong. They had to pick between her and Angie.

True, I guess technically no one wanted her crazy SERVYYYYVERRR-singing  bee-hind around. 

For some reason I think Terry's coming-- and I think after a challenge they have to vote someone out and vote someone to exile on the spot.  The one on the boat will replace them.  Anxious to see tonight.

Because most of these people are not game-changers-- TPTB are doing the game-changing. More crazy twists to come I'm guessing

• Love 2

I will really hate this show if they start bringing people in mid season to actually play the game.  I'm thinking it's only a visit to EI this time, but I hope they don't get any ideas down the road. 

• Love 4

I cant think of too many things that actually were 'game-changers'.  As others have said it's a stupid label--as I don't see anyone there as a 'game-changer;     Richard Hatch yes-  In fact he really defined the game IMO.  Wasn't Yauman the first to make a fake idol?  well, whoever it was--I'd consider a game changer.   Russell with finding idols w/o clues--and perhaps bringing more ruthlessness to the game--okay.   But who else and for what reason.?  and okay--whoever coerced that kid to give up his Immunity necklace..that might qualify.  

But what other player actually "changed the game??.    And what *about* Boston  Rob.  Didn't Ambuh win the first one and he was handed the second.  I actually have far more respect for Russell (who I cannot stand either) than Boston Rob. (I recently had the stomach to re-watch Russell's first season.)   Russell actually did some amazing game-play even though the tribe he played against was asleep. He got an idol from an opposing tribe in what HvV was it?   He did some amazing shit.  still can't stand him--glad his nasty personality cost him the wins. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking about people that were game changers, but for the wrong reasons.  The Rotu 4 who stupidly outed their alliance and let everyone know the exact pecking order in the coconut chopping challenge, leading Neleh and Paschal to flip on them.  Jolanda beating out Jenn by about half a second in Palau for the immunity necklace, leading Jolanda to put together the ill fated Ulong tribe, and Jenn to wind up on the opposite tribe.  Lex, of course, deciding to save Amber over Jerri. 

I guess it depends what everyone's definition of game changer is.  I tend to agree about Russell; don't like him as a person, but as a player, I think he did evolve the game. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, seasick said:

He got an idol from an opposing tribe in what HvV was it?

That was way less about anything Russell did and more about JT's strategy and fear of women.

Russell definitely changed the game, it just happened to be for the worse imo.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I was thinking about people that were game changers, but for the wrong reasons.  The Rotu 4 who stupidly outed their alliance and let everyone know the exact pecking order in the coconut chopping challenge, leading Neleh and Paschal to flip on them.  Jolanda beating out Jenn by about half a second in Palau for the immunity necklace, leading Jolanda to put together the ill fated Ulong tribe, and Jenn to wind up on the opposite tribe.  Lex, of course, deciding to save Amber over Jerri. 

I guess it depends what everyone's definition of game changer is.  I tend to agree about Russell; don't like him as a person, but as a player, I think he did evolve the game. 

wow--that is some amount of memory!  Didn't they end up picking rocks and Paschall went--or was that Australia with the other spring/december friendship?  

Yes I suppose someone makes a huge move--or a stupid one and it turns that game upside down.  I think that's harder to call, because that *is* the game and usually done to save your own ass or better position for the final-but I see the other side of the 'game-changers' idea as  who made the moves that season.  I would say JT should fit in that by giving opposing tribe an Idol.  Colton gave up his whole tribe's immunity!  But again those are some 'first time ever done' things. I think if we liked the persons it affected it would be a better memory.  

Mentioning Jerri brought back memories.  I really miss the game when people got voted out just for being obnoxious and they cared less about goats and such when they got rid of her bossy ass in S2 Australia.  

1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

That was way less about anything Russell did and more about JT's strategy and fear of women.

Russell definitely changed the game, it just happened to be for the worse imo.

I'll take my response also to past seasons.,,,after the show--if there's time!  Should be a crazy show tonight...    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, seasick said:

wow--that is some amount of memory!  Didn't they end up picking rocks and Paschall went--or was that Australia with the other spring/december friendship?  

I'm watching the season 4 finale right now, and yes, they did pick rocks and Paschal got the purple one.

• Love 1

If you picked "Field" in the pool, you probably won. When I got "alerts" from the spoiler thread, they suggest it would be Rob. He probably has a life with Amber and the daughters. Cochran may have been an easier "get." Russell was probably higher on the list, but he's probably living off the grid and practicing not sobbing like a punk when he doesn't win.

Kinda want Tai to be voted out just for the exit interview. "Well, I didn't quite see this coming. I want to thank the show for- [looking downward] . . . wait. Are you fuckers STILL captioning me??!? Oh, fuck no!! I know that I have an accent, and that English isn't my first language, but come on! I'm easier to understand than Debbie!! At least give me THAT!! Fuckers!!!"

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Cochran may have been an easier "get."

As we were watching the boat aproaching SS Exile last night, I burst out laughing and told my son that none of you predicted Cochran.  "They were all 'It's gotta be Russell.  Could it possibly be Hatch?  Oh, goddamn it, it's going to be Rupert, isn't in?"  

• Love 1