Type keyword(s) to search

Season 34: Previews and Speculation

Daisy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Five hundred episodes. Damn. Impressive. Also . . . gee, I wonder who will build a "Spy Shack"? If you didn't roll your eyes, you're probably new to the show. Tony had game, but he was such a spaz in many ways.

And, I'm still shocked he won his season. Crazy game from a crazy guy. I really wanted Spencer to win and ai wanted Kass to make the Finals to piss Morgan off. That was a fun season. I never thought he had a chance. Even in the Final 2 I just assumed that the jury would be bitter and vote for Woo. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Am I alone in not being overly enthused about this season?  I'm about burned out on recycles.

Nope.  I'm hoping the season completely defies my expectations and proves me wrong, but I agree that returning player seasons (especially those that recently played) are getting over saturated.  One of the highlights of Second Chances was one time players and people from pre-HvsV seasons.  But this cast? No thanks.  Happy to see some, but those that I'm most happy about seeing are probably going to be early targets, judging from the interviews.

Also, I'm tired of idols and blindsides being that be all that ends all of what's considered good game play.  Last season the idol play was exciting, since the idols were used early and on people other than the idol holders themselves in most cases.  But re watching old seasons, I miss good old fashioned strategy, scrambling, and scheming.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

All the talk here recently has gotten me excited about this season. Not because it's returning players per se, but because I'm curious to see how new combinations of known players will play out. Also, I'm looking forward to reading you all :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I miss good old fashioned strategy, scrambling, and scheming.  

That's why I loved the Mari boot episode so much.  I don't mind idols, when they're used in an interesting way, but that is very rare.  I'd rather see some wheeling and dealing and persuasion.

I was so completely down on the Cambodia cast that I have learned not to make up my mind right away, because that season turned out great.  I like newbies, but I feel like the newbies we've had lately have been so bad at the game, and I like to see people who are good at the game.  Cirie and JT are nice, but what I'd really like to see is the next Cirie, the next JT, newbies who are really fucking good.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

That's why I loved the Mari boot episode so much.  I don't mind idols, when they're used in an interesting way, but that is very rare.  I'd rather see some wheeling and dealing and persuasion.

I was so completely down on the Cambodia cast that I have learned not to make up my mind right away, because that season turned out great.  I like newbies, but I feel like the newbies we've had lately have been so bad at the game, and I like to see people who are good at the game.  Cirie and JT are nice, but what I'd really like to see is the next Cirie, the next JT, newbies who are really fucking good.

That's what I mean about idols.  Pulling an idol out and saving yourself-okay, maybe makes for an interesting episode, and could potentially shift the game into an entirely new direction.  And besides last season, one of my favorite idol moments was when Jason and Scot's were taken down over Tai's double cross (and Scot left the game with Jason's idol).  Of course moments like that help when I can't stand the players.  Idol moves I like to see are two idol plays like Jeremy and Kelley's, or Parvati and Russel during HvsV.  Or David risking his idols last season on allies.

I am keeping an open mind on this cast.  I rag on Sierra so much, but watch her be the next Parvati.  And watch some of the faves crash and burn into an invisible edit because they are afraid to play aggressively.  I will say one season where I was down on most of the cast returning was HvsV-and that turned into a top 5 season for me.  I'd also like to see players become the next Cirie, Parvati, JT, Yul.  But I don't know if editing is to blame on that or if the castaways going in wanting to create their own name and legacy that they forget the game and concentrate more on creating a character.  

• Love 1

The term legend could mean a lot of people (some of whom we might not even consider, but we know how this show goes).  My guess is putting the past behind them is Cirie/JT or possibly Cirie/Ozzy (but I'd lean towards it being between her and JT). No one else that has a past is together on the same tribe to start.  

As for the legends-I'd say Malcolm/Ozzy, or Sandra/Tony.  Could be the two boys go at it in a challenge (maybe they do like HvsV and have a challenge right off the bat).  And Sandra and Tony have talked about wanting to get rid of the other ASAP.  Unless the legend clue involves scheming between two different alliances on the way to TC, with one legend calling the shots for each.

• Love 2

What this season excites me even more for is that we already know all the players and their names. I find it extremely difficult to remember everyone's names and the tribe they belong every time there are new players. Michelle who won on season 32 (Michelle!!!) was almost a stranger to me until the very end.

14 days!!!

7 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT!!!!!

So glad to know I am not the only person who gets unreasonably giddy and geeked at the beginning of each new season!

(I might even make a special dessert to be eaten only during Survivor that no one else in my family can have because they do not support my geekdom).

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

(I might even make a special dessert to be eaten only during Survivor that no one else in my family can have because they do not support my geekdom).

Well, what's the dessert?!

I'm really exited for it to start too, even though I hate almost everyone and think this season is going to be boring. I just can't help but love Survivor, even when it sucks!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well, what's the dessert?!

I'm really exited for it to start too, even though I hate almost everyone and think this season is going to be boring. I just can't help but love Survivor, even when it sucks!

Lemonade pie.  Two packages cream cheese (softened), one small can evaporated milk, one small package instant lemon pudding mix, one can frozen lemonade (thawed).  Throw it all in a blender until it's smooth like butter.  Pour into 6 mini graham cracker crusts.  Wrap each in foil and hide them in the freezer behind a bag of frozen broccoli so your family won't find them.  Eat one every Wednesday night at 8pm EST.  I literally crave this pie whenever I watch Survivor.  I think I got started with it sometime around Season 2.

I agree with the above bolded line.  A season of sucky Survivor is still better than no Survivor at all.  I can't imagine a day when it's no longer on.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Lemonade pie.  Two packages cream cheese (softened), one small can evaporated milk, one small package instant lemon pudding mix, one can frozen lemonade (thawed).  Throw it all in a blender until it's smooth like butter.  Pour into 6 mini graham cracker crusts.  Wrap each in foil and hide them in the freezer behind a bag of frozen broccoli so your family won't find them.  Eat one every Wednesday night at 8pm EST.  I literally crave this pie whenever I watch Survivor.  I think I got started with it sometime around Season 2.

Oh man, I am so trying this! 

• Love 1

While I like a few of these players, I'm not sure I will be able to be "all in" for this season.  Some of these "legends" need to find real jobs and stop trying to stay on TV. Many moons ago, I used to watch "The Challenge" on MTV, but when the same 10 people showed up every.damn.cycle. I quit.  Is Survivor going down the same road now?  We've had a few repeat players over the years, but when contestants pop up more than twice, it's too much IMO.

Of all the returning legends, Tony is my least favorite.  And usually players I can't stand last the longest, so I wouldn't enjoy watching his smug face every week.  I may just record and FF to Tribal.  Or better yet, I should just come here to read about what happened.  Probably more enjoyable!

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

While I like a few of these players, I'm not sure I will be able to be "all in" for this season.  Some of these "legends" need to find real jobs and stop trying to stay on TV. Many moons ago, I used to watch "The Challenge" on MTV, but when the same 10 people showed up every.damn.cycle. I quit.  Is Survivor going down the same road now?  We've had a few repeat players over the years, but when contestants pop up more than twice, it's too much IMO.

I still roll my eyes at this season's "concept", but I don't mind returning seasons because I do like seeing people I've seen before play again. And like someone said above or in another thread, they're easier to remember. And sometimes, you can find real gems on some players who performed unremarkable the first time they played, ala-Kelley Wentworth. Also, by finding these gems, even through their second try, just adds to the "legends" of the game. 

But yes, I wish they would put a cap on how many times a player can return. I feel like, if a player has returned for the third, fourth time, etc., are they really adding anything new to the game, besides the fact that Probst and production maybe want those returnees to win? I mean, at this point, is there really something new that the likes of Ozzy, Malcolm, Andrea, JT, Sandra, Cirie, Ciera, Varner, etc. have to offer? Haven't we already seen enough of their game?! It gets to be tiring and boring if you have players who have returned more than two times play over and over again.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

"Some of you made quiet moves" (shot cuts to Sierra).  Guess that's one way to describe it.

Here's two other clips from the premiere.

Wow. Interesting that Mana has Hali going up against Ozzy in the swimming part of the challenge.

(edited)
On 3/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, BusyOctober said:

Of all the returning legends, Tony is my least favorite.  And usually players I can't stand last the longest, so I wouldn't enjoy watching his smug face every week.  I may just record and FF to Tribal.  Or better yet, I should just come here to read about what happened.  Probably more enjoyable!

Legends jobs on this cast (as far as I know) Please correct if I'm wrong as I'm going by memory.

Sandra- office manager for a law firm

Tony- cop

Cirie- surgical nurse

Ozzy - manages a successful restaurant 

JT - manages family cattle ranch

Ciera- stay at home mom

Andrea- interviewer for people.com

malcolm- not sure but he's not a bartender anymore he works in an office according to a podcast he did with RHAP

Edited by rose711

To have this somewhere 

• Survivor 2017 “Nuku” Tribe:
  • Oscar “Ozzy” Lusth
  • Cirie Fields
  • James “J.T” Thomas
  • Debbie Wanner
  • Andrea Boehlke
  • Tai Trang
  • Brad Culpepper
  • Sarah Lacina
  • Sierra Dawn-Thomas
  • Zeke Smith
  •  
  • Survivor 2017 “Mana” Tribe:
  • Michaela Bradshaw
  • Aubry Bracco
  • Sandra Diaz-Twine
  • Ciera Eastin
  • Malcolm Freberg
  • Hali Ford
  • Caleb Reynolds
  • Troyzan Robertson
  • Jeff Varner
  • Tony Vlachos

When I heard Jeff reading out the tribes on the boat I immediately thought - Mana tribe is going to be the chaotic tribe, lots of moves and blindsides which is so too bad because so many of  my favorites!  

• Love 1

So tribe swap next week, and I guess they don't even care about hiding who gets sent to what tribe.  JT is still on Nuku, and sends Malcolm, Varner, and a 3rd person out on a raft that I'm assuming is another Mana tribe member, while he looks for an idol.  I'm questioning how he managed to pull that off.

I already forgot there was 20 people this season so they'd have to go down to 18.  So I'm wondering if JT is the only Nuku on his new tribe (or one of only two original Nukus, still leaving him in the minority).  He seemed pretty desperate.  Especially if Cirie stayed on Nuku, she might be willing to throw him under the bus.

The previews always lie, so I've decided to enjoy them as tiny micro-narratives of themselves.  The little movie they made this time of JT villainously setting his tribemates adrift in the boundless ocean was pretty hilarious.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2017 at 9:46 AM, susannot said:

Mana, please vote off Tony first!!

Sandra girl, you get him.

Wow, Susannot, you got your wish (well, voted second, but still first episode), how cool is that!!!

• Love 1

So there's a new preview posted on the CBS site.  It appears as though CBS will be posting the bulk of their extra clips on the CBS All Access site, which you have to subscribe too.  Not sure if promos will exclusively be posted there or not, but this one isn't on Youtube yet.

There looks to be a goat kill next week, and I don't think it's going to be pretty (Malcolm has one, and Sandra is holding a baby goat).  It looks like Varner/Aubry/Malcolm/Sandra/JT are all on Nuku (not sure who the 6th member is).  I'll start off by saying I am not a vegetarian (although this show makes it easier to want to be one), but I just can't with their treatment of animals on here and why they feel the need to show it.  That poor goat.  Since JT is frantic for an idol, I'm guessing the 6th member is from Mana, and he is horribly outnumbered.  Nuku's been the focus so far, so I'm wondering if that's indicating they end up losing immunity (could also explain JT's frantic hunt for the idol).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I'll start off by saying I am not a vegetarian (although this show makes it easier to want to be one), but I just can't with their treatment of animals on here and why they feel the need to show it.  That poor goat. 

I grew up in a family that hunted and slaughtered its own livestock. It's the most honest, humane way to get meat. I can assure you that animals taken from the wild or that are raised on small farms by families die more quickly and painlessly, and have better lives up to the point of death, than anything you have ever bought at a retail outfit. I am fine with it being shown. It is better than the hamburgers they're shown scarfing at rewards. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There looks to be a goat kill next week, and I don't think it's going to be pretty ... 

Well, so much for that theory from someone on the ep thread that the goats were protected lol!

I wouldn't be too upset about this kind of thing if it weren't for the fact that at this point they really don't seem to be hurting for food, so killing a goat feels a bit unnecessary.  

I am so annoyed by them only having clips on All Access. I'm glad I don't really care too much about this season or else I'd probably fork over the 6 bucks a month to get it and then I'd be really pissed!

• Love 1

I guess posting links won't work for those without access to it?  Here's a try-(link removed, didn't work)

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

Nope. It says you have to sign up for All Access to view it.

Ok, thanks.  I'm going to remove the link then.  I tried!  

4 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Ok, thanks.  I'm going to remove the link then.  I tried!  

Yes, thank you for trying!

Someone linked on another thread a post on reddit that has the videos uploaded so that's nice and hopefully they'll keep doing it. Although I have a feeling CBS might crack down on that eventually.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Well, so much for that theory from someone on the ep thread that the goats were protected lol!

I wouldn't be too upset about this kind of thing if it weren't for the fact that at this point they really don't seem to be hurting for food, so killing a goat feels a bit unnecessary.  

I am so annoyed by them only having clips on All Access. I'm glad I don't really care too much about this season or else I'd probably fork over the 6 bucks a month to get it and then I'd be really pissed!

Exactly.  That's probably why I have more of an issue with it, and the fact that it's usually one of the men wanting to puff their chest out and cry 'I killed a goat!  I'm the provider, you'll starve without me!'  This show has never been about survival, and it has gotten less about that in recent seasons.  They want game play, and I'm sure if they could get showmances every season I'm sure they would.  I couldn't get over how they started right off the bat with the game play talk and who was going.  Back to the point about the goat-yeah.  They aren't going to starve, and if they let themselves fall apart, CBS will bail them out.

I had trouble even finding the clips on the site (I typically just re-watch the episodes), and I still haven't found all the clips.  But in reality, I actually only care about the day after and Ponderosa vids.  The extra clips and secret scenes aren't always the most exciting.  If they really wanted to get people to subscribe, maybe show hours worth of extra footage or something.  

• Love 1

I think this could be classic case of misdirection that they have been known to use in the previews and therefore that no goat will be killed for food.  See season 32 when in the preview they showed Julia saying that she wanted to eat Mark the Chicken which of course never happened.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 3

I tend to agree.  I think they know people aren't going to take kindly to mammal killing and butchering on screen.  I'm not going to wring my hands over it because I eat some meat and if I was out there and there was livestock there for the taking that some player was fine with doing the hard stuff to serve it up, I would eat it.  But I don't want to see it occur or even see the goats alive first, and that part has occurred.  I know meat comes from live animals and factory farming is disgusting and cruel but I still don't want to see mammals killed on tv, or the aftermath.  I don't even really like seeing them kill octopi and stuff more animal-like than a snail or fish.  

I watch that show, The Last Alaskans, and they kill and utilize every scrap. It's a necessity. So I am not bent about it. And, this is mean of me, but I will get a chuckle out of my teen DDs being incensed by it. Though I suspect it's misdirection by the show. I think it's a rule, that all cast members know, that they cannot kill livestock.

Edited by Lamima
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I had trouble even finding the clips on the site (I typically just re-watch the episodes), and I still haven't found all the clips.  But in reality, I actually only care about the day after and Ponderosa vids.  The extra clips and secret scenes aren't always the most exciting.  If they really wanted to get people to subscribe, maybe show hours worth of extra footage or something.  

Oh shit, I forgot about the Ponderosa vids. Ugh someone better upload those somewhere!

I tend to agree that the promo is misleading and that they won't actually kill a goat. Have they ever killed a mammal on the show before? I vaguely remember players chasing a pig/boar once, but I don't remember what happened afterwards. And also I might actually be thinking of Lost lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh shit, I forgot about the Ponderosa vids. Ugh someone better upload those somewhere!

I tend to agree that the promo is misleading and that they won't actually kill a goat. Have they ever killed a mammal on the show before? I vaguely remember players chasing a pig/boar once, but I don't remember what happened afterwards. And also I might actually be thinking of Lost lol.

Skupin killed a pig during Outback, and there was a lot of controversy because many people thought TPTB bought the pig, then let it out near the Kucha camp for them to find.  Mike had been trying to be the sole food provider, then they won chickens, so he was freaking out a little bit that they wouldn't need him.  Starting in I think episode 2 or 3 he started sharpening a spear, so I can totally go along with the theory that they were setting him (and the poor pig up) for a kill.

It's probably a long shot that TPTB would upload at least the Ponderosa vids to Youtube.  It seems like they are getting a lot of backlash for this decision, so maybe they'll reverse course and put them up.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Oy. If this was old-school Survivor, and it was three weeks into the game? Maybe I'd accept it. But it will have been a week, and starvation isn't a factor yet. The only way I'd accept goat meat on the menu is if they killed themselves rather than listen to Debbie. I kid . . . though she has as many jobs as that fucker Uncle Ruckus.

ETA: Tai must not be in that camp. I know that I'd want to eat, but it would be hard to kill something that might have a personality with him around. Not like he'd demand another $100K from Sia . . . he's just that kind of guy.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

The only way I'd accept goat meat on the menu is if they killed themselves rather than listen to Debbie. I kid . . .

LOL at the unintended pun.