Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Hearts Still Beating

halgia
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Overall, it's just a lack of creativity on TPTBs. They came up with a great concept and really just dropped the ball. They don't even know much about the world they have.

Agree. I don't  know if it's because it's adapted from a comic book, or the writers (and Kirkman) don't know much about the world or about real people or both.

8 hours ago, ganesh said:

So, just survival of the fittest just doesn't wash, and, frankly, it's overly simplistic.

It IS overly simplistic, because that's what this show is - lots of gore and violent sequences and not a whole lot in between. Maybe it worked fine in ink on the flat pages of a comic book but in live action with real people who should be much more complex than they are, not so much.

• Love 6
On 15.12.2016 at 5:53 PM, mightysparrow said:

I thought I was the only one!  The guy just seems like a waste of space.  Other than a few assorted ninja kicks (has anybody bothered to mention that KICKS won't take down a walker) he doesn't DO ANYTHING.

I'm meh on the guy. I just haven't seen enough of him yet. I want to like him, but he just has nothing to do, so I have nothing to go on.

But I have to say, that these zombies are so squishy by now that you could probably easily kick their head in.

On 16.12.2016 at 4:31 PM, diebartdie said:

They weren't bananas, they were yellow squash. Let's feud about this for the next several months.

I don't know how yellow squash look, but I know how bananas look and those weren't bananas. Whoever thought that either needs glasses or a bigger TV.

On 16.12.2016 at 9:02 PM, Captain Asshat said:

There have been a few sociological experiments that have shown regular old, everyday human beings will be shitty to other human beings once they realize there are no repercussions for doing so. It starts mildly and can quickly build up to full on sadism. Look up the Stanford Prison Experiment or the Milgram Experiment. My guess is that Negan's minions were probably regular people before the ZA.

The Milgram-Experiment shows that a lot of people are too trusting and obediant towards people with authority, not that every human is secretly a sadist.

Also when this gets brought up it's always made out to be like nobody refused to administer the electro shocks (after a certain point), which just isn't true. A lot of people did and the probability went up with the education. So the more educated people were, the more likely they were to stop.

The stanford prison expermint is open to interpritation. Either there are some sadists out there who will take every opportunity to torcher and a lot of people who will jsut let it happen. Ot those were just young untrained kids who were completely overwhelmed by the situation and didn't know how to keep order but with excessive force. (maybe a mixture of both is the real answer here.)

23 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

When torture, murder and gladiator battles were spectator sports

I don't think torture was ever a spectator sport, murder only in the sense of public executions. Gladiator sports, sure, but it wasn't how it is portraid in modern movies. Those were highly trained, atheletes who lived in luxury. Usually nobody died. It was kinda like MMA is today.

22 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

My other big complaint is that the gang should have been prepared with all their guns when Negan and the Saviors first came to Alexandria and had it out then.  They had the advantage with the walls and could have taken out a lot of them and maybe would have won.  Better that than being slaves to them.  Of course, this was done for a plot contrivance and is sloppy writing.  The group we know would never have gave up that quick. 

The saviour group that came to Alexandria was so small, they could have let them in, and picked them off. That would have made sure that Negan couldn't escape and get reinforcements.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Miles said:

I don't think torture was ever a spectator sport

Yes. Unfortunately it was, depending on your definition of "torture."

1 hour ago, Miles said:

Gladiator sports, sure, but it wasn't how it is portraid in modern movies. Those were highly trained, atheletes who lived in luxury. Usually nobody died

I beg to differ.

19 hours ago, ganesh said:

FFS, The Earth Abides was written in the 1940s, and it's a 100+ something novel that painted a way more complex tapestry of humanity in a similar situation. So, just survival of the fittest just doesn't wash, and, frankly, it's overly simplistic. I've said before, I bet there's people in Idaho/Utah/Wyoming that are living totally fine with livestock, farms, etc., and these people on the show we're watching just happen to be a bunch of really stupid people. 

Thumbs up for Earth Abides.  Even though it was written when Mom was still in the kitchen and television was in its infancy, it still shows how the human spirit finds a way, even though that way may change quickly from generation to generation.  It doesn't seem dated in the least (to me anyway) because it carries that larger message.

I had high hopes for FTWD showing a different aspect of surviving the ZA, but frankly I've given up on that show.  It commits the most venal TV sin.  It's BORING.

Time to get Rick and Little Ass Kicker back on track.  It's one thing for Rick to lose focus for awhile, but another to drag it out over a full half-season.

(Note to producers - no more Tara, please, unless she's background noise.)

7 hours ago, Miles said:

I don't think torture was ever a spectator sport, murder only in the sense of public executions. Gladiator sports, sure, but it wasn't how it is portraid in modern movies. Those were highly trained, atheletes who lived in luxury. Usually nobody died. It was kinda like MMA is today.

I watched Spartacus. They were forced to fight and many died. And they were slaves.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2016 at 1:46 AM, ganesh said:

Overall, it's just a lack of creativity on TPTBs. They came up with a great concept and really just dropped the ball. They don't even know much about the world they have. 

ITA.  We have our main group pretty much walking in circles and somehow meeting up with large, established groups of people they've never met before.  It's repetitive.

They throw me crumbs like Rick & Michonne scenes and the occasional decent action piece but it may not be enough.  There are too many people to develop the ones they have.   There are some interesting ideas out there - a real exploration of why Negan has such a hold on his people, not silly bully scenes or boring Dwigth/Sherry in the stairwell scenes.  I liked the conversation with Aaron and Rick about knuckling under because at least they're still alive - little things like that are believable, but there need to be more.   Are Carol and Morgan just sitting around at the Kingdom?  They could have been pulled into the story in a better way, maybe have Carol come across the group of women that Tara did and find out about Negan that way - there just are better ways to connect the different dots and give our characters stories.  Maybe then Carol's continued no-fighting stance would make a bit more sense, if she came across a group that suffered huge losses because they did fight. 

I was spoiled for it but still annoyed that Olivia got shot.  I GET IT, the Saviors are EVULLL.  Too bad they're not scary or interesting.

Edited by raven
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, raven said:

ITA.  We have our main group pretty much walking in circles and somehow meeting up with large, established groups of people they've never met before.  It's repetitive.

They throw me crumbs like Rick & Michonne scenes and the occasional decent action piece but it may not be enough.  There are too many people to develop the ones they have.   There are some interesting ideas out there - a real exploration of why Negan has such a hold on his people, not silly bully scenes or boring Dwigth/Sherry in the stairwell scenes.  I liked the conversation with Aaron and Rick about knuckling under because at least they're still alive - little things like that are believable, but there need to be more.   Are Carol and Morgan just sitting around at the Kingdom?  They could have been pulled into the story in a better way, maybe have Carol come across the group of women that Tara did and find out about Negan that way - there just are better ways to connect the different dots and give our characters stories.  Maybe then Carol's continued no-fighting stance would make a bit more sense, if she came across a group that suffered huge losses because they did fight. 

I was spoiled for it but still annoyed that Olivia got shot.  I GET IT, the Saviors are EVULLL.  Too bad they're not scary or interesting.

I agree with you that having Carol meet the Oceanside group would have been much better.  The Oceanside community have suffered enormous losses but they refused to be broken.  They've created a very successful community and refuse to be victims (even though they're lousy shots).  Carol could learn something from these women.

I get the feeling that the 'Carol at the Kingdom' story line is a bone tossed to fans of the character and also a consolation prize for Caryl fans, since it's pretty clear that Daryl isn't fucking ANYBODY in the near future (Rick's taken).  Carol gets not one but two very attractive men vying for her attention.  Plus she gets a charming little cottage.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, raven said:

They could have been pulled into the story in a better way, maybe have Carol come across the group of women that Tara did and find out about Negan that way - there just are better ways to connect the different dots and give our characters stories.  Maybe then Carol's continued no-fighting stance would make a bit more sense, if she came across a group that suffered huge losses because they did fight. 

Well this show has a history of devoting large amounts of screen time to uninteresting characters played by forgettable actors.  Hey, let's do a Tara episode!  I'm sure Enid will have her own standalone episode in the spring.  Or maybe one of the Negan goons in a red shirt.

• Love 2

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for "Hearts Still Beating":

The fall finale of “The Walking Dead” was once again the runaway leader in cable ratings for Dec. 5-11. It was the case in the overnight ratings and it remained that way with three days of DVR and on-demand playback.

The show’s Dec. 11 episode added 2.4 points in adults 18-49 after three days, rising from a 5.1 to a 7.5. That was slightly better than the 2.3-point bump for the previous episode. It also added more viewers than the last episode — 4.6 million vs. 4.45 million. [15.198 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-dec-5-11-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day and Live +3 ratings for the first half of Season 7:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million; 15.718 million
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million; 15.267 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million; 14.275 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million; 14.940 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million; 15.198 million

• Useful 1
On 12/18/2016 at 7:11 PM, Dobian said:

Well this show has a history of devoting large amounts of screen time to uninteresting characters played by forgettable actors.  Hey, let's do a Tara episode!  I'm sure Enid will have her own standalone episode in the spring.  Or maybe one of the Negan goons in a red shirt.

Meanwhile, Michonne has yet to have a stand-alone episode.  Fuckery!

• Love 2

I really hate stand-alone episodes. I hate them a lot and they bore me stiff, since - IMO - most of them are just not good enough actors to carry a whole episode. I like it best when most of CDB is there - well, what's left of it anyway.  I can only imagine that TPTB say to each other, "Look, we're paying these people enough. Let's try and get our money's worth."

• Love 4

I don't mind the occasional stand alone if it's well done and tells a contained story.  Think Clear, The Grove, maybe one or two others.   There have just simply been too many of them and most of them have obviously been filler to stall the main storyline.  We've only seen more than the odd member or two of the main cast a couple of times in a full half season and very little story advancement.

• Love 5

That's my issue with the super sized episodes too. They're largely filler and don't really take advantage of the extra minutes. I don't mind short seasons or even slow moving, but you need to plot it more tightly. With a book/comic you can ramble. Not TV. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, ganesh said:

They're largely filler and don't really take advantage of the extra minutes.

Yes. They'll spend five minutes showing people walking down a road. In more skilled hands, that could be fine, building tension with a payoff at the end. With these guys - nope, it's just people walking or staring and then - nothing. For example, Dwight staring and staring at the fence zombies: I thought something big was going to happen, something revelatory. It didn't. Nothing happened.

• Love 3

The Cable Live +7 Day ratings are in for "Hearts Still Beating":

The fall finale of “The Walking Dead” was, of course, the big winner in the cable Live +7 ratings for the week of Dec. 5. The shows below it, however, are poised to take those top spots in coming weeks. [7.9 rating; 16.020 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-dec-5-11-2016/

Here are the Live +Same Day, Live +3, and Live +7 ratings for the first half of Season 7:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million; 21.528 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million; 17.947 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million; 17.208 million
11-13-16 “Service” 11.402 million; 15.718 million; not reported
11-20-16 “Go Getters” 10.996 million; 15.267 million; 16.308 million
11-27-16 “Swear” 10.403 million; 14.275 million; 15.096 million
12-04-16 “Sing Me a Song” 10.481 million; 14.940 million; 15.776 million
12-11-16 “Hearts Still Beating” 10.583 million; 15.198 million; 16.020 million

21.518 million viewers watched the Season 7 Premiere within 7 days of its first showing, but 16.020 million viewers watched the Season 7 Mid-Season Finale within the same time frame, a loss of 5.562 million viewers, a drop of nearly 26%. Any way you cut it, that's a pretty steep drop.

Nice work, Kirkman & kiss-ups!

Edited by Raven1707
Clarity
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, Iguessnot said:

The J(ust) S(urvive) S(omehow) episode. We see what happened to her parents, her turtle meal and how she came up on Alexandria.

She got one before she became a main character?  I guess giving her one was a sure sign she was eventually going to be considered one at one point.

• Love 2

Can we feud over bananas or yellow squash?    Yellow squash is delicious when fried/sautéed, but bananas just suck all the way.  Unless they are plantains,and made into delicious tostones.

have to be yellow squash.  Bananas probably won't survive too far north of the sub tropical zone.   What really sucks is seeing a great house with a banana trees, and a shittu   House with papaya trees while house hunting.   It's almost woth taking the shitty house for the papaya s.

february is pretty far off. 

• Love 3
On 12/12/2016 at 5:39 AM, Minaboo said:

Boy howdy, Nashville!

This show has been long mired in hopelessness for me. Have watched the first six episodes with either the mute button or the fast forward button depressed. After reading this forum, I'll do the the same with  the last two eps.

<rimshot>

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

have to be yellow squash.  Bananas probably won't survive too far north of the sub tropical zone.   What really sucks is seeing a great house with a banana trees, and a shittu   House with papaya trees while house hunting.   It's almost woth taking the shitty house for the papaya s.

I would seriously be heading to more tropical climates for the bananas alone. But, you'd have to think the weather would decompose the walkers much faster, and you don't have to worry about winter. 

• Love 3

Sincere apologies if this was covered upthread and I missed it, I'm coming to these late (because I really don't enjoy the show much this season, I'm afraid). But does anybody know where we were supposed to remember Isabelle from? She was the redhead Michonne tried to take hostage, and IMDB says she was in "Sing Me a Song" as well. But I deleted that one immediately after watching it because I didn't like it. Did she do anything memorable?

As for killing off Negan, I actually think it would be a big mistake. People have pointed out that the Saviors would probably splinter in the event of his death. I think that's true, but I don't think it would be good for our survivors. Quite the opposite - the spike in gang violence in Chicago is probably a direct result of the successful prosecution and imprisonment of most of the important gang leaders in recent years, the result is chaos. Had the Alexandrians successfully ambushed and killed Negan and his party during either of his visits, the result would have been lots of bloodshed as factions fought for control and resources. Negan has actually brought order here, and I would be on his side if he weren't such a smarmy smirking sadist. It's frustrating because I want to like this character in the abstract, but his portrayal is the most comic book supervillain the show has ever had. I don't actually like that - this is why I don't watch Gotham anymore, for example.

The only chance Alexandria has to get rid of Negan and survive is would be to build a coalition of settlements to push him out - in other words, not to eliminate the Savior system, but to take over and try to run it better, so people fear the central authority a bit without necessarily hating it. The biggest problem the survivors have faced hasn't been the undead, it's been the collapse of central authority unleashing the war of all against all. Negan is a solution to this problem - a crappy, much less than ideal solution that needs to be replaced, but still a response to the problem, not the problem itself. The problem of "how do we stop all these groups from killing each other" would remain in the event of Negan's death. Yes, he's killed some people we like, but 1) far fewer than the number of Saviors killed by Alexandria and 2) our protagonists wouldn't be able to encounter other groups relatively peacefully, as they've done recently, in the absence of the Savior system.

See, I like what they're trying to do on this show, I just don't think they are doing it successfully. I mean, imagine if Xander Berkeley was the head Savior instead. He's always a fun bad guy - as anyone who saw him on Nikita can attest.

• Love 4
On 12/26/2016 at 10:29 PM, Mu Shu said:

Can we feud over bananas or yellow squash?    Yellow squash is delicious when fried/sautéed, but bananas just suck all the way.  Unless they are plantains,and made into delicious tostones.

Or ripened and fried into sweet fried plantains* - which are among my favorite foods.

* I guess I should call them Plantanos maduros, but I had to look that up because I can't ever seem to remember that name or the name of the delicious "lasagna" made out of it - pastelon - even though I love them both and don't seem to have as much trouble remembering other Latin foods I like.

13 hours ago, ganesh said:

I would seriously be heading to more tropical climates for the bananas alone. But, you'd have to think the weather would decompose the walkers much faster, and you don't have to worry about winter. 

I'd be heading there for the plantains - see above - but the point about winter is also a good one. I don't like being cold, and would much rather be too hot than too cold. I can always cool off with water... which does lead to the problem of alligators though... and mosquitoes. I would bring all the repellent, and springs are good (they are clear - so you could see the alligators coming if they did, but mostly the 68-72 degree water keeps them away - too cool for the alligators' comfort - well usually.) But still, hmmm - reconsidering...

I think I'll stay on my Atlanta-type area highrise with garden on top - as I described somewhere here as my dream scenario for surviving the zombie apocalypse - but I'd add a greenhouse for the plantains... if I could figure out how to grow them that is. But it would also be good for starting seeds... which now that I think of it, some of these growing communities should have cobbled together a greenhouse for that purpose - especially if they are in the Virginia area.

I still call the lovely yellow squash iffy in terms of believability, though... also in terms of practicality. Winter squash and edible gourds all the way, baby!

• Love 1

Then let the splinter groups fight it out and kill each other. I'll be discreetly packing and leaving. There isn't any rule of law. This is just Negan doing arbitrary things. As it's been pointed out, giving him stuff every week isn't sustainable either. It's just going to run out. He'll just start killing people to have a bigger piece of the pie. 

• Love 3

Alligators are a non issue unless you're incredibly stupid or incredibly unlucky.    I'll give you the mosquitoes, though there are screens for those.  Florida all the way.   Plenty of food to grab, rapid decomp,  and you won't freeze your ass off.  These people need a compas. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ganesh said:

Then let the splinter groups fight it out and kill each other. I'll be discreetly packing and leaving.

Uhhh, that's probably not how it'll play out.  In the event of a Negan shuffle off this mortal coil, I'd expect to see two primary reactions among the suddenly-leaderless Saviors:

1. Struggle for power.  There definitely would be some bands of enterprising entrepreneurs attempting to fill the power vacuum, to be sure - but I expect these would be a definite minority, consisting primarily of (a) Negan's top lieutenants and (b) whoever each lieutenant could talk into following their own particular concepts of manifest destiny.
  2. Struggle for resources.  Seeing the writing on the wall (more specifically, the coming bloodbaths of the ensuing power struggle and the following purges), I'd expect the reaction of the vast majority of the Saviors - especially the labor caste - to grab everything which isn't nailed down and get the hell out of Dodge.

Group #1 might possibly be too focused on shooting each other to take notice of you; Group #2, however, will be directly and intently focused on killing you and taking your stuff.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:03 PM, Mu Shu said:

Alligators are a non issue unless you're incredibly stupid or incredibly unlucky.  

Well... these are people who are ambushed by walkers slowly stumbling and crashing through the forest towards them. I'd say they'd have no chance against alligators.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 5:26 PM, Miles said:

Ask someone who was hanged, drawn and quartered for treason to cheering crowds

• Love 2

In Florida you can grow bananas and they bloom but don't usually get naners on them. maybe if you planted a grove in south FL cause they are quite tall. Pineapples OTOH will sprout anywhere you toss a top or a side sprout. Easy. (Yankee with a Pineapple Plantation) strawberries, Avocados especially. oranges and lemons... figs... lots of fruit and yams. Gators might be a boon as they love rotten meat. Burmese pythons too.

Flat land you can see what's coming. craploads of orchards and farms... Lowes too. Pools if you get hot.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:47 PM, Iguessnot said:

The J(ust) S(urvive) S(omehow) episode. We see what happened to her parents, her turtle meal and how she came up on Alexandria.

She WAS the only one to consistently use a noise maker to distract the walkers....Dah

• Love 1
On 12/26/2016 at 10:29 PM, Mu Shu said:

They weren't bananas, they were yellow squash. Let's feud about this for the next several months.

On 12/28/2016 at 4:42 AM, ganesh said:

Then let the splinter groups fight it out and kill each other <SNIP>to have a bigger piece of the pie. 

Bannana cream pie I suppose?

• Love 3

You know I was re watching Breaking Bad and I was thinking that the character of Tuco was such a great villain.  He was absolutely terrifying because you had no idea what this crazy MF would do next.  Also, the creators of that show were very smart about the right time to kill him off, because five seasons of Tuco is way too much Tuco.

I feel like this is what this show wanted to do with Neagan.  The difference is Neagan is supposed to be amazingly charming instead of bat shit crazy. Instead, he is a ridiculous caricature of a villain.

Say bad joke, posture like an idiot, walk around in ladies moto jacket and then repeat steps one through three.

• Love 9
On 1/1/2017 at 11:41 PM, Nashville said:

Beats the everlovin' shit outta squash cream pie, I expect.

You sure about that?

Spoiler

Ingredients

Pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie, such as Barry Maiden's Butter/Shortening Piecrust

6 medium yellow squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)

3/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup heavy cream

3 eggs, beaten well

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon white vinegar

Preparation

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with crust, then crimp the edges decoratively.

To prepare the yellow squash, trim the ends and cut each squash lengthwise into quarters, turning each squash into four long strips. Cut away the pointed edge of each strip, removing and discarding the seeds. Line up the strips and cut each one crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks. You should have about 6 cups of chopped yellow squash.

In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring 3/4 cup water to a rolling boil. Add the chopped yellow squash, cover, and cook until the yellow squash is tender and bright yellow, softened, but still holding its shape without turning to mush, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt. Stir with a fork to mix everything well. In a medium bowl, combine the cream, eggs, butter, vanilla, and vinegar. Using a whisk or a fork, stir to combine everything well. Add the sugar mixture and stir to dissolve the dry ingredients and mix everything together into a thick, smooth filling.

Transfer the yellow squash back to the empty saucepan and mash it to make it as soft and smooth as possible. Drain off any extra liquid that the yellow squash releases. Measure it out, so that you have about 2 1/2 cups. Fold the mashed, drained yellow squash into the filling and stir to mix everything together well.

Pour the filling into the piecrust. Place the pie on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F, and bake until the filling is firm and nicely browned, and a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.

Place the pie on a cooling rack or a folded kitchen towel and let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2017 at 0:18 PM, qtpye said:

You know I was re watching Breaking Bad and I was thinking that the character of Tuco was such a great villain.  He was absolutely terrifying because you had no idea what this crazy MF would do next.  Also, the creators of that show were very smart about the right time to kill him off, because five seasons of Tuco is way too much Tuco.

IMO, it helps a lot that the actor who played Tuco was a lot more convincing and didn't chew up & spit out every ounce of scenery.

• Love 3

I tend to think the writing was better for Tuco than it is for Negan. I have no problem with JDM's acting; I've seen him in other stuff. I would guess he's playing the character as written, and there's just not much there. I didn't need an origin story for the Governor, but there was much more there for the actor to work with. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I tend to think the writing was better for Tuco than it is for Negan. I have no problem with JDM's acting; I've seen him in other stuff. I would guess he's playing the character as written, and there's just not much there. I didn't need an origin story for the Governor, but there was much more there for the actor to work with. 

I do agree the writing was better on BB then WD.  It makes no sense, why the hell in a world with guns (we see most groups have them) is the douche bag with the bat king?

• Love 3
On 1/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, diebartdie said:

You sure about that?

Reveal hidden contents

Ingredients

Pastry for a 9-inch single-crust pie, such as Barry Maiden's Butter/Shortening Piecrust

6 medium yellow squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)

3/4 cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup heavy cream

3 eggs, beaten well

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon white vinegar

Preparation

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 9-inch pie pan with crust, then crimp the edges decoratively.

To prepare the yellow squash, trim the ends and cut each squash lengthwise into quarters, turning each squash into four long strips. Cut away the pointed edge of each strip, removing and discarding the seeds. Line up the strips and cut each one crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks. You should have about 6 cups of chopped yellow squash.

In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring 3/4 cup water to a rolling boil. Add the chopped yellow squash, cover, and cook until the yellow squash is tender and bright yellow, softened, but still holding its shape without turning to mush, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and salt. Stir with a fork to mix everything well. In a medium bowl, combine the cream, eggs, butter, vanilla, and vinegar. Using a whisk or a fork, stir to combine everything well. Add the sugar mixture and stir to dissolve the dry ingredients and mix everything together into a thick, smooth filling.

Transfer the yellow squash back to the empty saucepan and mash it to make it as soft and smooth as possible. Drain off any extra liquid that the yellow squash releases. Measure it out, so that you have about 2 1/2 cups. Fold the mashed, drained yellow squash into the filling and stir to mix everything together well.

Pour the filling into the piecrust. Place the pie on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F, and bake until the filling is firm and nicely browned, and a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.

Place the pie on a cooling rack or a folded kitchen towel and let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.

After reading that - you bet your ass I'm sure.