Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: It's Worse Than We Thought

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

Janelle isn't going anywhere ever. Robyn will be out the door after the show ends and she cons another man. Meri would escape in a heartbeat if she could find a guy who she can 'one up' the other wives with (one upping should be easy, but Meri needs to prove she is better than the others). Christine, who knows. She's the wild card of the bunch. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Marigold said:

I don't know if they are deliberately LYING.  I think the Browns see things in unusual ways.  They enjoy that persecution drama.  They really are a nutty group so I'm not putting too much credibility in their story. 

And they can still attend an LDS church.  Just being a formal member is an issue.  Why would they even want to join the LDS when they so intensely hate polygamy?  If I were Maddie or Mykelti, I would not be interested. I wouldn't join a church that put up such a fuss about my family. 

Why don't they join the AUB?  Kody has said that you don't HAVE to be a polygamist to be AUB.  Maybe that would work better for them? Can't Caleb and Tony join the AUB and say they aren't into polygamy but support it?  Can Caleb and Tony join the AUB and say polygamy is a sin? 

The whole thing is mysterious...they only give us bits and pieces of their religion which is annoying because their polygamy religion is why they have a show. 

Edit: Apparently Kody's mother entering the FLDS first was discussed in an episode.  i remember it from the book. 

http://cynicaljinxwelcome.blogspot.com/2014/02/sister-wives-recap-tragedy-in-family.html

In the AUB, you cannot enter heaven without being polygamous. It is a major spiritual tenet. 

I assume the LDS church feels comforting to them because the doctrine is essentially the same but without polygamy. 

• Love 4

I wonder if Robin wishes she could  leave with Kody and live a monogamous life. She was living that way before so it did not appear  that she jumped  into this mess with serious religious motivation.  They are as close to that as they can get now.  Never happen, cannot leave the TLC cash cow. Spin off in her mind perhaps?

14 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Janelle isn't going anywhere ever. Robyn will be out the door after the show ends and she cons another man. Meri would escape in a heartbeat if she could find a guy who she can 'one up' the other wives with (one upping should be easy, but Meri needs to prove she is better than the others). Christine, who knows. She's the wild card of the bunch. 

2 hours ago, Marigold said:

So, she will always be miserable because deep down, this is not the life that makes her soul happy.  Kody will never be able to be what Meri wants.

I almost think I'm defending Kody.       Ugh.  

This was my reaction too.  Don't get me wrong: I really don't like Kody.  He comes up short in a lot of ways.  Fatherhood, hair maintenance and personal grooming, financial planning, having normal-looking eyes, impulse control... the list goes on.  But, that aside, Meri just seems like a pit of need that will never be filled.  I also thought it was almost infantile the way she said that the catfisher was telling her negative things about Kody, and that she started to believe them.  First of all, lady, we here on the boards have been saying negative things about Kody for years, so if you've never heard them before *cought*bullshit*cough* you're just late to the party.  Secondly, she's acting like she's a little girl who was led astray by some big bad wolf, rather than a grown woman with her own decision-making power. 

Also, call me a sentimental fool, but I actually do believe Kody wants to keep the family together, and is trying the best he knows how to make that happen.  Not just because he's a famewhore (which, obviously, he is) and to stay on the show.  I actually think if Meri left, it might be a great thing for the show (from a narrative perspective) because there would be all sorts of new plot twists to explore.  How will the Browns cope with the aftermath?  Where will loyalties lie?  I think he just wants to keep his family together.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

You mean you're not riveted by scene after scene after scene of Kody and HIS FOUR WIVES sampling cake after cake after cake?

I don't watch those TLC wedding shows for a reason. I cannot imagine sitting through season after season of Brown kids getting married. 

1 hour ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Janelle isn't going anywhere ever.

I agree. I think Jenelle might be the healthiest wife, as far as dealing with polygamy goes. I think she is mostly happy with the situation now. She's an introvert and is happy not having to deal with this manic man and his needs every day. But I think she really has the hots for him. Sometimes when she talks about him during the couch sessions, she gets as giddy as if they were still courting - which is saying a lot for stoic Jenelle. I think she likes the fact that she's HIS wife, but she also likes having peace and control over her household most days. Meri and Christine are too needy and I think Robyn is straight up over him.

• Love 6

What happened to Janelle's working out and diet? She was doing so well and now....... plus she gave Meri some.

Meri has no purpose-no kids to take care of-a Kody who doesn't want her-No Grandkids and a Daughter who hates her. Was she not going to get a career?

What happened to that ugly Jewellery line they had?

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:06 PM, Lm2162 said:

I used to be Mormon. I don't think Mykelti or Maddie is lying. The Mormon Church is obsessed above all with appearances and publicity. They've excommunicated people before who openly criticized the church while keeping people who committed crimes like rape and child abuse because it wasn't as public. The polygamy is not truly the issue, it's the TV polygamy. The church doesn't want to be associated with popular polygamists. 

On the now cancelled “My Five Wives”, the oldest son, Josh was a member of the Mormon church, even though he lived at home and his family practices polygamy. As a matter of fact, during their last season, he was sent to Africa on a mission. So, I wonder.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, RealityCowgirl said:

ETA I think they also have a persecution complex that comes naturally in that family. Easier to bitch and moan about LDS rules than move on and find a better spiritual match.

They absolutely have a persecution complex for several reasons. Kody is a narcissist who cries persecution every time some one doesn't worship him. Don't care if he has four wives? Not impressed by his hair? Don't gush over every hair brained, half assed scheme he invents? You're a bigot and prejudiced. You're out to get him.

Robyn - not buying her BS? It's because you're trying to snatch her kids. Christine - you're not a part of their inbred family wreath? It's a conspiracy and you're trying to snatch her kids. At least those two come by it more honestly with having grown up with bedtime stories of their lawbreaking ancestors who feuded with each other and also were actually raided and had their kids snatched.

Although those fears may not be as bad with the adult kids, they've still grown up in their fishbowls thinking that anytime anyone doesn't give them their way, it's time to play the Polygamists are Persecuted card.

12 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

On the now cancelled “My Five Wives”, the oldest son, Josh was a member of the Mormon church, even though he lived at home and his family practices polygamy. As a matter of fact, during their last season, he was sent to Africa on a mission. So, I wonder.

He also became a member of the church before the media frenzy hit and all these families became televised polygamist advocates with InTouch spreads, speaking tours and TLC shows. I don't recall if that family stated their mission was to decriminalize polygamy, or if they were just a family of fame whores who saw reality show $$$$ and attention.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I don't recall if that family stated their mission was to decriminalize polygamy, or if they were just a family of fame whores who saw reality show $$$$ and attention.

I'm going with door #2.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, booboopbedoo said:

What happened to Janelle's working out and diet? She was doing so well and now....... plus she gave Meri some.

Meri has no purpose-no kids to take care of-a Kody who doesn't want her-No Grandkids and a Daughter who hates her. Was she not going to get a career?

What happened to that ugly Jewellery line they had?

They still have their online store: https://www.mysisterwifescloset.com  I haven't been to Silverton in quite some time (I live in Vegas) so I don't know if they still have a spot there. They have a lot more stuff than jewelry--some of the clothing designs by Robyn are actually cute.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

In the AUB, you cannot enter heaven without being polygamous. It is a major spiritual tenet. 

I assume the LDS church feels comforting to them because the doctrine is essentially the same but without polygamy. 

Exactly!  They've all expressed LDS as the only alternative to AUB.  Janelle sought out an LDS group for the teenagers to associate with when they first moved to LV.  The only problem they've ever voiced about LDS is the way their own religion is treated by LDS.  LDS has every one of the teachings that AUB does - minus the polygamy.  And polygamy is one of the least bizarre aspects, IMO.  If they truly believe the teaching of Mormonism, minus the polygamy, LDS would be a perfect fit.

Both the Browns and the Williams experimented with alcohol after their issues with AUB.  The Williams either quit or were rejected, and the AUB distanced themselves from the Browns after they went public.  This is the type of thing that happens when people question their religion.  They experiment with what the church tells them is evil and forbidden.  Tasting beer and drinking coffee is about as innocent as you can be.  They still avow no sex before marriage, courting, and asking for dad's permission.  Logan is the only one openly flouting the religion - living the typical life of a college student.  And I think he's a dream kid.  Who wouldn't want a Logan?  And I love that Logan is in no hurry to get married and have kids - he's already raised five.  Aspyn, too.  I'm so happy that they avoided the teen marriage path.

And I don't think Maddie and Caleb serving alcohol at their wedding at all reflects Maddie's lack of interest in being LDS.  She specifically said that LDS was the only church whose beliefs align with her own, and that she couldn't see herself attending any other church.  Now that she's been rejected, why in the world should she follow their extreme rules?  Is she supposed to live her life as a strict LDS when they openly rejected her?  Plus, Maddie's own mother was raised LDS, and Maddie was probably taught to respect them.  I'm sure it's hard to understand why LDS welcomes other religions with open arms.  Tony was more desirable than Maddie?  Tony?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Adeejay said:

They weren't famous like the Browns unfortunately are and the polygamous family had already left the FLDS church and denounced it. They only remained in polygamy because that was all they knew. They no longer believed the tenets. The Browns seem much more adamant that their kids express open support of their family structure. Also, they have a Supreme Court case in Utah about legalizing polygamy. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

LDS has every one of the teachings that AUB does - minus the polygamy.  And polygamy is one of the least bizarre aspects, IMO.  If they truly believe the teaching of Mormonism, minus the polygamy, LDS would be a perfect fit.

And I don't think Maddie and Caleb serving alcohol at their wedding at all reflects Maddie's lack of interest in being LDS.  She specifically said that LDS was the only church whose beliefs align with her own, and that she couldn't see herself attending any other church.  Now that she's been rejected, why in the world should she follow their extreme rules?  Is she supposed to live her life as a strict LDS when they openly rejected her?  Plus, Maddie's own mother was raised LDS, and Maddie was probably taught to respect them.  I'm sure it's hard to understand why LDS welcomes other religions with open arms.  Tony was more desirable than Maddie?  Tony?

I never laid out their exact beliefs side by side but they have different prophets and different temples.  I'm sure they have some differences just on that alone.  It seems the Browns don't wear garments like the LDS do.  I have no idea why and it's not like the Brown's ever explained it either. The AUB keeps its doctrine pretty quiet so we can't compare too much. 

The LDS welcomed Tony because he converted and agreed to the LDS doctrine.  Just because he is a doofus doesn't mean he isn't sincere.  Anyone can convert as long as you believe and agree with their doctrine and articles of faith.  I think polygamy was the major sticking point.  She has never denounced it, said she is cool with it and she earns money from a pro polygamy show.  How would she tithe that without it being a big mess? The LDS does not want to step into that hornet's nest and I can't blame them for that.  No religion wants negative publicity. None of them. 

As for the alcohol, isn't Caleb LDS? Why is he serving alcohol? He doesn't seem very into his own faith either.  If Maddie is OK with alcohol now, then she couldn't have been very sincere in her heart about it 6 months ago when trying to convert.  She was just following the rules of no alcohol for a conversion?  If you are going to convert, then you really have to believe something for it to be a true conversion, not just "joining a church".  Six months ago alcohol was wrong but on national TV, it's OK because the LDS church rejected you?  Either YOU believe it's right or wrong because of your own beliefs, not because you want to say the right things to a bishop.  

Initially, I thought the LDS rejected her because of her family.  It certainly appeared that way.  After looking at everything, I think Maddie has some spiritual searching to do before she makes a full commitment to be LDS.  If red flags are going up after watching a reality show, imagine what came tumbling out at a baptism interview? 

Edit:

why not the Reorganized COJCofLDS? 

And does the AUB allow alcohol? 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Marigold said:

As for the alcohol, isn't Caleb LDS? Why is he serving alcohol?

Caleb is from a Christian church.  It was mentioned on the show a few years back that Kody's brother converted to Christianity within the church his wife belonged.  Caleb's father is a Pastor, most likely of that church.  I don't remember what it was called.

About the alcohol, they always seemed to skirt around exactly what their church says/does on camera.  But I do remember the trip the wives made together and they were at a restaurant and decided to "enjoy the local culture" by ordering a tasting of various beers.  Christine seemed to be the most into it and they all seemed to be willing...however Robyn clearly did not have any alcohol.  At the time I believe she brought Solomon with her on the trip because she was still breastfeeding, but if I recall correctly there is a statement in her divorce papers saying that she is not allowed to consume any alcohol around her children.  There have been photos (on twitter maybe?) that were candid selfies and someone spotted wine bottles in the background and Christine also spoke on camera about Truley enjoying her cocoa in bed while Christine enjoyed her red wine.  So the Browns do drink alcohol.

• Love 2

@Marigold, Caleb is not LDS. 

Fundamentalist Mormon sects actually tend to be less strict on alcohol than the LDS church, weirdly. It's not a big "good" thing but depending on the sect, it's also not 100% a no no. Very weird. 

The reason I think the Mormon Church is gross about this is because 1) polygamy is still in their doctrine, they just ignore it, even though their Scriptures technically still say that you must be polygamous to get to the highest level of heaven, and even though men can still be sealed to more than one woman (say, after divorce or death), while women cannot, so actually they still believe in polygamy in the afterlife, and 2) they are very exploitative of and degrading to women, and their "prophet" Joseph Smith was married to very young children (as young as 13-14) he forced into marriage, and they are scared that they will continue to be associated with that and that will curb conversions, which bring in quite a bit of $ because their religion is essentially run as a corporation. Tithing is required, 10% for everyone, and there is evidence that that money is used for the mall and other businesses they run, the profits of which likely go to the church leaders while local leaders and workers are all unpaid. Even janitors, child care providers, changing room attendants, and receptionists are unpaid if Mormon. As well as full time local clergy. 

So I just don't trust it. Both the FLDS and the LDS churches are highly exploitative, degrading to women, shady and secretive, and boys' clubs that build up men's egos. I see where Kody gets it. 

• Love 2

I really thought Maddie was trying to convert to LDS for Caleb.  The LDS hates polygamy and this is the church you two try to join? When neither one of them is LDS????   Caleb had a testimony for the LDS and now that's gone?  His family was OK with the LDS conversion?  Maddie was raised in polygamy and was cool with it, then had a testimony for the LDS, then got rejected and the testimony is off?   (This post needs some crazy emojis!)

Maddie and Caleb might need to do more spiritual searching. I wish them well on their journey.  There are tons of churches out there.  Hopefully they find something that brings them peace and joy. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

It seems the Browns don't wear garments like the LDS do.  I have no idea why and it's not like the Brown's ever explained it either.

I think they used to when they lived in Utah.  In one of the early episodes where Kody was packing someone caught a still shot where he was holding what looked like a male garment.  I'm not sure the Browns truly follow AUB doctrine any more.

53 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I really thought Maddie was trying to convert to LDS for Caleb.  The LDS hates polygamy and this is the church you two try to join? When neither one of them is LDS????   Caleb had a testimony for the LDS and now that's gone?  His family was OK with the LDS conversion?  Maddie was raised in polygamy and was cool with it, then had a testimony for the LDS, then got rejected and the testimony is off?   (This post needs some crazy emojis!)

Maddie and Caleb might need to do more spiritual searching. I wish them well on their journey.  There are tons of churches out there.  Hopefully they find something that brings them peace and joy. 

Caleb isn't LDS, I thought he was Seventh day Adventist or something? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

They have the choice of no church, too.. I was not raised in any religion. There is a big, beautiful world outside of the bible!  Jesus.  LOL

• Love 8
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

They have the choice of no church, too.. I was not raised in any religion. There is a big, beautiful world outside of the bible!  Jesus.  LOL

There's also Deism for those people who believe God exists and yet don't subscribe to any particular denomination's world view.

• Love 6

It's really, really difficult - often times  impossible - to just 'change your mind' about something that's ingrained to be the most significant part of your life since birth.  I think Maddie is sincerely searching for a church that aligns with her upbringing and her beliefs, and I hope she finds it. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 6

I'm not sure the Browns truly follow AUB doctrine any more.

While becoming AUB  may have been Kodass's excuse for polygamy initially, I think they pretty much follow the tenets of the Grifter Church of Make It Up As You Go Along to Fit the Situation.  I don't believe for a hot minute that any of them practice anything but cheating and lying these days.

• Love 10
On 12/5/2016 at 7:06 AM, RazzleberryPie said:

It's really, really difficult - often times  impossible - to just 'change your mind' about something that's ingrained to be the most significant part of your life since birth.  I think Maddie is sincerely searching for a church that aligns with her upbringing and her beliefs, and I hope she finds it. 

Nope, my SO was raised in a cult and now practices at the Church of the Holy Goal Line every Sunday.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I didn't say it was impossible. For most people, it is difficult. 

Yep. It's difficult for most people. This is because it requires taking a completely objective, unvarnished look at yourself and your beliefs to make any real change. And most people are unable to sacrifice their ego to save themselves. I've been able to do it a few times (twice or thrice) in my life, but it takes mental preparation to be able to set aside your ego. At least it did for me and I expect it would be much the same for most people.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 2

Didn't somebody post a link to an article about Caleb leaving the polygamist religion of his father to join LDS? 

The reason they are all hell bent on joining the LDS is because of The Book of Mormon. I think they would all rather have church at home like Kody does than go to a church that doesn't believe in their most important book. Just a thought. 

There may be LDS offshoots but that doesn't mean there are physical locations in their area where they can attend church. So it may not be possible for Maddie to try to convert to those sects. 

Maybe she's cool with alcohol now because she's done with religion. She tried to do her duty as a good Mormon by joining and they denied her. That may be enough to question everything. It's shitty when you realize all the saints are just a bunch of judgemental assholes. I think six months is enough to realize you don't need it and say to hell with religion altogether.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Didn't somebody post a link to an article about Caleb leaving the polygamist religion of his father to join LDS? 

The reason they are all hell bent on joining the LDS is because of The Book of Mormon. I think they would all rather have church at home like Kody does than go to a church that doesn't believe in their most important book. Just a thought. 

There may be LDS offshoots but that doesn't mean there are physical locations in their area where they can attend church. So it may not be possible for Maddie to try to convert to those sects. 

Maybe she's cool with alcohol now because she's done with religion. She tried to do her duty as a good Mormon by joining and they denied her. That may be enough to question everything. It's shitty when you realize all the saints are just a bunch of judgemental assholes. I think six months is enough to realize you don't need it and say to hell with religion altogether.

From his mom's obit - Worland Church of Christ

http://www.wyodaily.com/story/2016/03/09/obituaries/diana-brush/1678.html

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

That was Caleb Darger. I mentioned him as an example as a child of very high profile polygamists (the Dargers have had a TLC special, appeared in court for polygamist decriminalization - most notably for the Browns' court case which the Browns themselves have never bothered to show up - and a two part Brown episode as well as a book and tons of talk shows, news shows, and a huge social media presence. 

Yet LDS accepted Caleb Darger and not only that his family was present and supportive of his choice. 

• Love 4
On 12/3/2016 at 10:47 AM, wings707 said:

I have not watched the past 3 seasons religiously; I kept track but missed some things more subtle.  

I know it is obnoxious to ask others to do catch up for me.  I apologize. Real life became busy and some of my shows had to go.  This was an easy choice because they irritate the shit out of me. 

I have some questions.  Disclaimer, my memory sucks so details even from seasons I watched have slipped away. 

Christine seems to be the one wife that is the most positive and easy.  She is pretty, too.  Doesn't seem like Kody Is all that into her.  Is it just about him being all about Robin?  Or did something happen that I missed?

A new infant in the house will keep Kody away from sleeping there, given the sleepless nights. How old is the baby?    I predict they will have some thunder if he starts to seriously work on his relationship with Meri.  Big if.  This may be wishful thinking on my part.  I would love to see some drama with that. I don't like Robin. 

I don't like Janelle either, especially knowing what I just learned about how she and Kody got together.  Damn.  This family lacks integrity in all they do. 

Since Kody is not adopting Robins kids, Meri should insist he remarry her.  I am dead serious.  She should insist after they work things out and they very well may. To what point, who knows, but something better than what they have now.  

I would like to come out of retirement, fly out there and offer my counceling services free of charge.*  I know exactly how I would approach it.  I don't believe Nancy is a real therapist.  My guess is that she is a retired social worker or school councelor  from their religion (or a branch) they recruited because she is part of this incestuous get up. Google brings up zip about her.  I doubt Nancy is even her name. 

* couples councelor

You say "since Kody is not adopting Robyn's kids", what do you mean? He has already legally adopted them! You really did miss alot! Even just, tabloid type info. Now did I miss something,  which is quite possible? What is that bad about how Janell & Kody got together? She was only  monogamously married to one of meri's brothers before divorcing either and then later or to Mary Kody! Not as bad as you make it sound. 

On 1/13/2017 at 9:07 AM, Oxyballids said:

You say "since Kody is not adopting Robyn's kids", what do you mean? He has already legally adopted them! You really did miss alot! Even just, tabloid type info. Now did I miss something,  which is quite possible? What is that bad about how Janell & Kody got together? She was only  monogamously married to one of meri's brothers before divorcing either and then later or to Mary Kody! Not as bad as you make it sound. 

It is generally believed that the adoption of Robyn's kids isn't a true adoption. It was done for a story line only.

• Love 1

Based on discussions with people who have actually legally adopted stepchildren - the alleged Brown adoption was significantly more expeditious than normal when when both natural parents are in agreement. It's already been stated in multiple sites that Kody did NOT need to legally marry Robyn in order to adopt her children. 

His real reason was likely threefold: 

• Plotline for the show
  • Insistence by Robyn
  • Tax reasons - he has 5/6 dependents with Robyn (depending on whether Robyn is counted as a dependent) while with the other three wires he now has 0-3 dependents. Money talks. 
  • Love 5
On 12/1/2016 at 3:08 PM, Jellybeans said:

I have a feeling none of the kids will engage in polygamy because Kody's faux marriage and their mother's unhappiness would be enough to keep them away.

I hope the "fillings" I'm getting about Mykelti engaging in polygamy are wrong. She did say in an earlier season that she'd be open to it if her husband wanted it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the dime store version of Kody decides that he can't keep his hormones in check with just Mykelti and wants to go cruising around for another model to add to his family. I never thought it was possible, but this guy might just turn out to be a bigger opportunist/narcissist than his father in law. And the fact that he was readily willing to agree to not discourage any future offspring from exploring the plyg lifestyle sent up a red flag, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Mykelti become wife number one in a long list of women.

• Love 1
On 12/2/2016 at 11:44 AM, RazzleberryPie said:

Meri hates and resents Janelle and doesn't want to resolve conflict. Meri is only happy if she things she is HBIC or has one up on the other women, and can't accept it when they don't defer to her. Janelle has tried to resolve but doesn't care anymore. Keeping peace is their best situation.

Adding my two cents in to that clusterfuck of a family dynamic, I'm pretty sure that Meri's also got some (maybe not-so) pent up anger/jealousy about the fact that even though she was wife number one, and the only legal one, Janelle eventually had the trump card once she got pregnant with Logan, because you just know that had to have inflated Kodouche's ego and made him see Janelle as the favorite.

• Love 1