Type keyword(s) to search

Chip & JoJo: It's All In The Family

I've never paid any attention to blind gossip items.  About the supposed marital trouble, if Jo looked sad in that announcement, I wouldn't know.  That one particular day, it could have been about one to a million different things.  So, no, I won't blame Chip for any supposed, real or imaginary, marital strife.

About the other couple ... I won't criticize anyone for the appearance of their clothing or hair on the show.  As a guy, not everyone approves of my daily sartorial choices.

As a professional, I've had to deal with the press occasionally, over the years.  So, here's my take on what happened with that couple.  Would any of you be upset if someone drove through your yard, landing in the adjacent bedroom, next to yours?  All of you?  Ok, almost all of you?  Sounds like it was common knowledge they lived in a FixUpp home.

Given their FixUpp home, the press, including national press, arrived on their doorstep, literally, the next morning.  Now, if/when all or most of us were just a teensy, weensy upset, we may have harbored a tiny bit of ill will towards ChipJo.  And, I doubt they knew how to handle the press so they spouted off instead of uttering those two golden words, i.e. "No comment."

Have read the articles about these people and also reviewed their Air bnb.  Sounds like they've been actively working to improve that neighborhood, only to receive scorn about the increased taxes (not their fault), etc.  Their Air Bnb?  It appears they rarely rent it out.  Looks like it's the very occasional w/e when they go out of town.  No big deal.

If that was my home, I'd improve the curb appeal with a couple of attractive, brick 1/2 walls, creating a lovely barrier.  Then, I'd place a large, reflective, flashing red light at the beginning of one 1/2 wall, on the side where cars scream around that corner.  (Would check with the neighbors about the light.)  Next, would get a good night's sleep! 

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I hope Chip and Joanna waited until their Dr reviewed the sonogram before they posted the video of the ultrasound. Some fans are concerned that the ultrasound may indicate a potentially serious complication. Jo is 39 I believe, and is at increased risk of pregnancy complications. 

Joanna never seems happy or at ease to me. I wonder if she suffers from depression and or anxiety. 

There are a lot of comments on line about this pregnancy. None of us know why they decided to have another child, the status of their marriage or what the future holds for their businesses. Some of the comments are really vile and hateful. Why can’t people just accept that this couple who already have four children that they obviously wanted just decided that they wanted another child? Geez. How about the viewers just wish them a healthy baby?

• Love 11
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

An article I read quoted a tweet from Chip that pretty much said this was an unplanned pregnancy. Doesn't matter, no one's business than their own.

Except, when they say the reason they don’t want to do the show anymore is because they don’t want the kids on tv. It’s all you ever see. They have the kids on every episode.  Now, they have her sister and her brood on (Thanks for the House HGTV). I like the show and their work but I also think the couple thus protest too much. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have them on tv & People Magazine and then say your quitting the show because of the kids. I think they’ll do another show after the HGTV one, too. IMO!!! 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Why can’t people just accept that this couple who already have four children that they obviously wanted just decided that they wanted another child? Geez. How about the viewers just wish them a healthy baby?

I agree. And it could be something as simple as wanting to be pregnant around the same time as her sister (depending on when the last episode was filmed and if Jo was already pregnant).

• Love 5

I’ve never thought of Jo as being depressed or unhappy at all.  She seems to be introverted, and IMO very content.  

Thirty nine is less ideal to have a child than 29, but women are having healthy children later in life and have been doing so for a long time.  Add to that Jo being very fit and healthy looking, with access to the best care.

• Love 7

Re the pregnancy. When they finished the reveal of the producer’s home (Matsumoto, I think), the couple revealed she was pregnant with twins and Jo was obviously surprised and within seconds she & Chip were talking/kidding about having triplets.  In a much earlier episode, Jo spoke of having baby fever, apropos of nothing much  

Planned or otherwise, the announcement didn’t surprise me based simply on those snippets. The couple appear to enjoy their children and raising one now, when they are no longer scrambling to establish a business, will likely be a good adventure for all involved. 

And I don’t even like them, or their show! I’m just killin’ time in the DMV waiting line!  8-D

Edited by BckpckFullaNinjas
  • Love 3
On 1/5/2018 at 11:00 PM, ByaNose said:

Except, when they say the reason they don’t want to do the show anymore is because they don’t want the kids on tv. It’s all you ever see. They have the kids on every episode.  Now, they have her sister and her brood on (Thanks for the House HGTV). I like the show and their work but I also think the couple thus protest too much. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t have them on tv & People Magazine and then say your quitting the show because of the kids. I think they’ll do another show after the HGTV one, too. IMO!!! 

Yes, the kids on every episode but they're quitting to save the children.  Right ...  it's their choice, alone, to include the kids on air.  BTW, huge tax savings, shifting income to lower tax brackets by using the kids.

Filming at the Silos and the farm:  huge tax savings by writing off those two locations, i.e.  shifting income, reclassifying it from personal to "set rental".  Anyone else care to be reimbursed for the cost of your home?

ByaNose, did you hear about their design show, airing in the same time slot as soon as FixUpp completes S5?  I missed the pilot, somehow, but apparently they review the designs for previously completed homes from FixUpp S1 - S5.  Filmed concurrently so easy-peasy, already in the can!

Fans need not worry - they're going nowhere!

BTW, her sister, everyone remember Dr. McCall, the couple volunteering overseas and their adult children (supposedly) worked with the show?  Yep, Jo's sister is their dil.  No big deal - another connection.

On 1/6/2018 at 3:13 AM, MsTree said:

I agree. And it could be something as simple as wanting to be pregnant around the same time as her sister (depending on when the last episode was filmed and if Jo was already pregnant).

On 1/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, Gam2 said:

Geez. How about the viewers just wish them a healthy baby?

Timing-wise, HGTV shows have a 6 month post-production period.  It's very consistent.  Her sister delivered (approx) the same week that episode originally aired.  (Just answering the question about the timing, BTW.)

That said, I don't need to see sonograms or speculate about the conception or hear any details.  None of my business.  I do wish them all health and happiness. 

• Love 2
On 9/6/2017 at 10:28 AM, gundysgirl said:

I'm with you.

I love them both. Love their relationship, the way they clearly love each other, the way they support each other. But despite my love for them, I need to see less of them if that makes sense. Less of them goofing around or Chip feeling the need to constantly do something strange like eat a bug. I just want to see what they are doing with the house. More specifics around some of the design elements. 

Interesting that you mentioned more specifics about the "design elements.".  That's their next HGTV show! 

Didn't read it but skimmed the review comments about their first book.  Many readers indicated they wanted to hear more about their RE deals and again, the design specifics.  Specifically stated it felt as if they were holding back.  Sure enough, apparently it was their 2nd book!  (I didn't verify the release.)

Agree, I'm only interested in the RE.  The products, publications, connections and constant hyping of the Magnolia brand is just too much, for me.  

• Love 1

In their little stock shots of the natural beauty of Waco, the idiot producers have the sun going the wrong way! Sun always rises and sets from east to west, which translates on TV as from left to right . They show a sunset sun flopped and going up the sky backwards. They are not the only ones. Some years ago the NBC national evening news had their logo globe impressively spinning clockwise, which it def does not. Does no one check  these things?

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Gam2 said:

I hate that hair on Chip. Get a decent hair cut, Bud.

I am not a big fan of long hair on men, much prefer a short cut, but if it is well-groomed and doesn't look scraggly (see: one of the Fab Five on Netflix's reboot of Queer Eye), I can sometimes give it a pass. But the combo of the long messy hair and the beard this season I'm really not feeling. I get that YMMV in terms of what one personally finds attractive, just sayin' this is such an unappealing look to me. Not what the show is about, obvs, but I think Chip is an attractive-enough guy when better-groomed :-)

• Love 2
On 2/20/2018 at 4:50 PM, FoundTime said:

I am not a big fan of long hair on men, much prefer a short cut, but if it is well-groomed and doesn't look scraggly (see: one of the Fab Five on Netflix's reboot of Queer Eye), I can sometimes give it a pass. But the combo of the long messy hair and the beard this season I'm really not feeling. I get that YMMV in terms of what one personally finds attractive, just sayin' this is such an unappealing look to me. Not what the show is about, obvs, but I think Chip is an attractive-enough guy when better-groomed :-)

I thought Chip did that for a Locks of Love thing. I think he had a big shaving reveal at the end of the season which hasn’t aired yet. That said, it does look dirty & unkept. Of course, in construction I doubt anyone cares. LOL!!!

• Love 2
On 2/21/2018 at 7:03 PM, ByaNose said:

I thought Chip did that for a Locks of Love thing. I think he had a big shaving reveal at the end of the season which hasn’t aired yet. That said, it does look dirty & unkept. Of course, in construction I doubt anyone cares. LOL!!!

I think it looks good sometimes, but yeah when he's "working" and doing the talking heads during demo, he usually does look sweaty so the hair is going to be unkempt. 

(edited)
On January 14, 2018 at 2:33 AM, aguabella said:

Interesting that you mentioned more specifics about the "design elements.".  That's their next HGTV show! 

Didn't read it but skimmed the review comments about their first book.  Many readers indicated they wanted to hear more about their RE deals and again, the design specifics.  Specifically stated it felt as if they were holding back.  Sure enough, apparently it was their 2nd book!  (I didn't verify the release.)

Agree, I'm only interested in the RE.  The products, publications, connections and constant hyping of the Magnolia brand is just too much, for me.  

I quit this show in season two. But came here to say that my local TV station reports that JoJo now has a children's clothing line available in time for summer. The empire continues.....

Here's the story: https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article?section=entertainment&subsection=television&topic=programs&subtopic=daily-blast-live&headline=photos-joanna-gaines-releases-childrens-clothing-line-for-summer&contentId=507-557436808&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, CatS said:

She did a line of clothes for Matilda Jane last year as well. 

Looked up @Spunkygal‘s link. Verdict: ho-hum, at least everything wasn’t white & black. 

Their grinning countenances jumped out at me from the magazine rack at the grocery the other day. HGTV STARS COLLECTIBLE VOLUME!

Its amazing, what sells. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I have two young girls and Matilda Jane doesn't appeal to me at all. Too busy and ruffled. Pretty much the opposite of what Jo wears and designs in her houses so I was surprised that's what her clothing line looked like, but it fits with the MJ brand and she probably just put her name on it anyway. Or maybe she likes to dress her girls totally different than herself. 

Edited by CatS
  • Love 3
(edited)

Crew Gaines. Okay, then.

I miss Fixer Upper so much and wish HGTV had continued with that instead of bringing back that white trailer trash couple. :( BUT... I wish Chip and Jo and Family all the best.

Edited by kinnej5
54 minutes ago, kinnej5 said:

Crew Gaines. Okay, then.

I miss Fixer Upper so much and wish HGTV had continued with that instead of bringing back that white trailer trash couple. :( BUT... I wish Chip and Jo and Family all the best.

What trailer trash couple?

Crew is an odd name.  Poor kid will spend a lifetime saying "not Drew, CREW!"  Cute baby though.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, Court said:

Crew is an absurdly stupid name

I hate to be a negative Nelly, but I agree. You already have Drew, why would you use a name that is almost the same save for the first letter? confusion will abound - Drew or Crew, which one are you? 

• Love 4
On 7/4/2018 at 11:48 AM, Gothish520 said:

I hate to be a negative Nelly, but I agree. You already have Drew, why would you use a name that is almost the same save for the first letter? confusion will abound - Drew or Crew, which one are you? 

I thought the two other boys were Duke and Drake.

Wonder who wrote the description for this house...

"You can also sneak a peak at the deck in the backyard through the floor-to-ceiling windows." If I want to look out the window, I would sneak a peek!

• Love 1