Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E09: Still Throwin' Punches

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

<snip>The best part of TC for me is watching Hannah react. She is a ticking panic attack about to happen! 

Speaking of Hannah, I know it was just reward, but her team picks were so stupid. Not only did she pick most of the smaller guys, when she knew full well a giant chest had to be moved, but she picked almost all old Millennial. So that might make it appear to people she's been working with, that she is as wishy washy as Adam has been. <snip>

Well now, hang on just one cotton pickin' minute there.

Clearly Hannah was using some advanced super-smart strategy in picking her team. She knew that picking the biggest guys was clearly what TPTB expected everyone would think would be the obvious winning strategy.  Therefore ... Hannah, with her super-sized brain knew that had to be a trap and she had to think outside the box in order to win.

In addition, super-smart Hannah Banana realized that winning the challenge would be the obvious goal for most people - to get some food. So, what did she do? She developed this brilliant strategy as follows. She would either:

1) Pick the worst possible people which would almost certainly guarantee her a win (according to her unique panic mode of thinking).

or

2) Deliberately lose the challenge which would result in her getting some kind of win because ... TPTB must have decided to reward the people who would lose the challenge. Deep, isn't it? Wow! She sure is smart. Isn't she?  Talk about thinking outside the box? She was absolutely brilliant.

OK. I'm just joking. Hannah has the ability to think herself out of a win and into a loss any time she tries. She is one amazing dumbell and loser -  She is just a real huge mess.

Why have the other people on this tribe not voted her out already? I would have guessed they all would have voted her out just as soon as she had that panic attack or whatever it was supposed to me.

• Love 1

Rubbed it in my face?  Really Jay?  What a special snowflake you are.  He just acknowledged the obvious truth, genius.

I didn't see Adam "rubbing it in his face" either. Jay asked "So, I am on the bottom?" and Adam was like "Well, duh." What else was he supposed to say?

probably why Jay & Will voted for him. 

Has this been settled? I thought Will voted for Taylor. Does anyone know for sure? Because I kind of figured the reason Jay was confident about not using the idol is he knew if the vote went 5-4 either way, he and Will could vote for Taylor and Taylor would go home whether he got 5 or 4 from the others.

Why didn't Adam take out his advantage and throw it into the fire!?

Presumably he could offer to trade it to someone for a vote or some other favor.

IMO, Adam has some kind of personality disorder. He told Taylor about his advantage because he figured that would be a "good move". I just can't figure out what to call this disorder. Is it a form of Narcissism? Or kind of the opposite? I wonder if  something may be wrong with his brain or maybe something is wrong with his emotional state?

I'm still sticking to "man crush." I think Hannah pretty much nailed it last week when she said Adam just couldn't stand not being part of the Kool Kids Klub. And he probably saw Taylor as his best chance at a ticket into that club.

I almost wanted to give Taylor a hug with the "dumb surfer" line. That was Mean Girls-esque.

Both Jay and Taylor are surfers. I'm going to give Jay the benefit of the doubt that when he said "I'm not just a dumb surfer" he meant "please don't think of me as just a dumb surfer." Not "I'm not a dumb surfer . . . like Taylor here."

How many times did Father Jeff announce that Will could only have soft drinks?

If I'd have been Will I'd have snuck a sip of beer every time Probst turned his back on me.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Has this been settled? I thought Will voted for Taylor. Does anyone know for sure? Because I kind of figured the reason Jay was confident about not using the idol is he knew if the vote went 5-4 either way, he and Will could vote for Taylor and Taylor would go home whether he got 5 or 4 from the others.

Yeah, I thought the same. Just rewatched the end, and Will did vote for Jay.

3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Both Jay and Taylor are surfers. I'm going to give Jay the benefit of the doubt that when he said "I'm not just a dumb surfer" he meant "please don't think of me as just a dumb surfer." Not "I'm not a dumb surfer . . . like Taylor here."

With you there, also.

Poor old Tayls. Not sailing off with Figgy... I'm going to miss him. I wonder how he'll go in life in later years?

It is a strange season. No vile men, no obvious winner who I don't like at all, just a bunch of dirty looking people making really bad decisions. Enjoyed Brett doing pool bombs. Thank god for the moments of light relief, and people like Zeke for the odd on-point commentary.

Can't take much more of Hannah flapping her hands and going wooh and mugging during Tribals. Glad Jay stayed, he's one of the few I find at all interesting. Still pleased to see Ken still there (ow, me knees!), and kind of hoping either Ken or Zeke or even Jay can pull off a win.

I wonder if this was in Jeff's vision, the old farts outlasting the Millennials? He sure has pushed that bloody theme. Even if there's not a single Millennial left in the final tribal, he'll still be banging on about it, I bet.

• Love 7

If I wasn't being clear, I'm not saying Jay was sincerely humble... But he was playing humble to make amends with Hannah, which is what he should do in his situation anyway.

I don't see Jay as an evil mastermind at all. He's good socially but he doesn't strategize as much as Zeke or David. I would say Zeke is more of a mastermind. Michelle was too till she was voted off, heh.

Out of the two, Jay is the surfer and Taylor is the snowboarder, so I also doubt Jay was shading Taylor with his comment.

• Love 2

One thing I'm confused about is Zeke's 'you don't tell people they're on the bottom that they're on the bottom because they'll flip' thing with Adam. Like... sure, you don't tell people on the bottom *of your alliance* that they're on the bottom, because they might flip, but I've never really noticed a problem with people from the majority alliance telling people from the minority alliance that they're on the bottom. It's not politically fantastic (although it has sometimes in the past been seen as the opposite - being honest and upfront instead of trying to give the minority alliance hope when there isn't any) but it's not like it's going to cause them to flip - they're *already* on the other side. It just reads like one of those things where Zeke doesn't like Adam and so everything Adam does is the worst thing ever.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, waving feather said:

I don't see Jay as an evil mastermind at all.

He really isn't, and I don't think the other players really see him that way, but imo he thinks of himself that way.

16 minutes ago, MissEwa said:

It just reads like one of those things where Zeke doesn't like Adam and so everything Adam does is the worst thing ever.

At first I couldn't really understand why some people saw Zeke as this huge asshole, but lately I am really starting to see it, and this is one reason why. He really does seem to have an over the top level of disdain for certain people.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Zeke and I would either get along famously or hate each other more than life itself because we are just alike.  I too often have disdain for people and have a hard time hiding it.  I'm not as caustic as Michaela, but it's damn close.  It's why I would make a terrible Big Brother hamster.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, pamplemousse said:

Agree that Jay's playing hard but not well. I find him more offensive than Taylor (who is mostly just dumb as hell).

With that said, I wouldn't mind him sticking around for a couple more episodes (but not longer than that) because his pissy entitled machinations are entertaining to watch. 

I think Adam's fatal flaw so far was in thinking that Taylor would make a good, controllable (because he's so dumb) ally for him and continuing to pursue that while failing to see how much Taylor disdains him. And I totally think Taylor and Jay disdain Adam far beyond anything that he's done in the game like vote off Figgy and Michelle. Speaking of Michelle, not a fan of her laughing in apparent appreciation when Jay and Taylor were being ridiculous fuckwits at tribal council. The mean girl stench is strong off her IMO.

Dour, grouchy Ken for the win. And barring that, I guess anyone out of the Chris/David/Zeke camp would be ok.

Yeah I am not buying it. That laugh looked like it was completely out of place and just shoehorned into the moment. Remember the editors are taking what is sometimes a two hour TC and whittling it down to about 10 minutes. They are notorious for inserting reaction shots from players and jurors to anywhere they seem fit. I will almost guarantee that what Michelle was laughing at was not what was shown to us on screen,

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

I just want to go on the record with my prediction the winner will be either Chris or Ken.  It's just my opinion. Everyone can have an opinion and they are all usually wrong.

Both Chris and Ken have showed some remarkable abilities to stay calm and yet influence other members to turn things around when they were on (or near) the bottom and get what they wanted. That seems like something that game winners are able to do.

Both tend to be the strong silent type - until they are threatened with getting booted. Then, they both seem able to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

Compare that with Figgy, Taylor, Jay & Michele (the Foolish Foursome). They seem able to snatch defeat from just about anything - especially their own jaws - when they open their mouths.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 4

Nah, not Ken. He's not really a strategic type. He can win challenges but he's not a mental game player and his winning challenges will put a target on his back at some point.

I see Chris, Dave, Zeke or Jess winning.

• Love 1

I do think we may be heading for a boring final three - like maybe Chris, Bret and Sunday. It's possible that's why they're starting to show Sunday talking heads even though she didn't really accomplish anything. The millennials seem to be imploding and turning on each other. I don't think the show is spending a lot of time on people like Jay, Taylor and Adam because they're going to make it to the end - I think the show just considers them more interesting than the boring people who end up in the final three. You can easily see, at this point, a trio like that just sitting back and letting everyone else devour each other.

I pay close attention to who they give air time and talking head segments to. Nothing for Ken in 2 weeks and nothing from Jessica in longer, but Chris and Bret both got air time this week even though neither were anywhere near in danger or did anything especially noteworthy. David didn't get any THs either. 

• Love 5

I thought the Sunday gunning for Jess sort of random. It came out of nowhere and it's almost like their was footage left out. Maybe, more will come out of it later on. I like Sunday. She's reminds me of somebody and it's driving me nuts. I don't know if it's someone from another Survivor season, an actress or my real life but she seems so familiar. 

49 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I do think we may be heading for a boring final three - like maybe Chris, Bret and Sunday. It's possible that's why they're starting to show Sunday talking heads even though she didn't really accomplish anything. The millennials seem to be imploding and turning on each other. I don't think the show is spending a lot of time on people like Jay, Taylor and Adam because they're going to make it to the end - I think the show just considers them more interesting than the boring people who end up in the final three. You can easily see, at this point, a trio like that just sitting back and letting everyone else devour each other.

I pay close attention to who they give air time and talking head segments to. Nothing for Ken in 2 weeks and nothing from Jessica in longer, but Chris and Bret both got air time this week even though neither were anywhere near in danger or did anything especially noteworthy. David didn't get any THs either. 

Please god no....I am all of a sudden very nervous.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Zeke and I would either get along famously or hate each other more than life itself because we are just alike.  I too often have disdain for people and have a hard time hiding it.  I'm not as caustic as Michaela, but it's damn close.  It's why I would make a terrible Big Brother hamster.

Ha!  I love it.  I feel the same.  Why I relate so strongly to fictional characters like Larry David.  I'm always on Larry's side.

I am not nearly as caustic as Michaela but I idolize her.  LOL

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

maybe Jess, Sunday and ___ in the final 3 then either Jess or Sunday wins :P :P 

The idea of Sunday being right about her showdown with Jess is so bad that it's back around to good.

• Love 1

I've been hating on Adam's gameplay, but tonight redeemed him in my eyes as a person: yes, he's a terrible strategist, not unlike David in week 1 (except David quickly adapted from what we can see).  But "Survivor" is not a moral litmus test, and bad people can thrive while decent people fall behind.  Adam is clearly a good person, and people like that tend to struggle with social situations built around something other than reason, compromise, and communication.  I truly believe Taylor is a bad person: there was something so natural and unrehearsed about his relentless teasing, his "don't let them get a word in edgewise" donkey braying, his smug attitude.  I'm not saying I wanted to reach through the screen and smack him; no, I want him to get slowly, painfully eating by a shark, in full view of his family on the beach.  Call me petty.  Also, as someone said above, if you're a decent person and you get falsely accused by someone who laughs at you, and then laughs and claims your anger is because you're lying... it's hard not to go apeshit.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets me like false accusations.  Still, Adam likely has torpedoed his own chances of winning just by not being quiet the rest of the time.  That's okay: winning Survivor is just winning Survivor, it says nothing about who you are as a person.

I agree that Jay is ugly; I don't get where the "hot" commentary comes from.  I've been trying to think of who he reminded me of until the Richard Ramirez comparison was made, and it was like "Oh, right- exactly!".  Hannah still annoys me, but her self-awareness is growing on me.  Also, David has somehow completely shed his original persona as tribe weakling: he helps more and more in challenges without seeming like an albatross, and has held his own respectably in the Immunity challenges- all while being more of a quiet mover and shaker than a target or loud mouth.  The rest are all in a kind of idling position, but with Taylor gone I think we mostly have a relatively balanced group of not-crazy people.  That doesn't mean there won't be petty flare-ups, but hopefully just good gameplay and scheming without hurt feelings.

But then, this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... :)

• Love 13

Jay really rubbed me the wrong way this episode.

Taylor always got on my nerves, but Jay's pouting about his conversation with Adam turned me off. How dare he speak to you candidly about your current position in the game! He's just pissed Adam manuevered himself into a better position. Get over it. 

Also, that freakin' speechifying at tribal! You'd never! steal food from hungry people, but you might eat the hell out of it with someone who did, huh?

Adam's game stresses me out, but I hope he outlasts Jay. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, violet and green said:

Yeah, I thought the same. Just rewatched the end, and Will did vote for Jay.

With you there, also.

Poor old Tayls. Not sailing off with Figgy... I'm going to miss him. I wonder how he'll go in life in later years?

It is a strange season. No vile men, no obvious winner who I don't like at all, just a bunch of dirty looking people making really bad decisions. Enjoyed Brett doing pool bombs. Thank god for the moments of light relief, and people like Zeke for the odd on-point commentary.

Can't take much more of Hannah flapping her hands and going wooh and mugging during Tribals. Glad Jay stayed, he's one of the few I find at all interesting. Still pleased to see Ken still there (ow, me knees!), and kind of hoping either Ken or Zeke or even Jay can pull off a win.

I wonder if this was in Jeff's vision, the old farts outlasting the Millennials? He sure has pushed that bloody theme. Even if there's not a single Millennial left in the final tribal, he'll still be banging on about it, I bet.

Poor old Tayls will be spending a few weeks in Ponderosa with Young Hot Michelle.

Care to guess what might happen? Care to guess what Figgy might be pissed about?

I'm guessing that if anyone I know ever decides to get married, I'd like to have them watch this season and then tell them to be careful they don't ever marry someone like Tayls because if he has no qualms about cheating his friends out of their food, what are the odds he wouldn't cheat on his wife?

I wonder if any woman who has ever seen this season of Survivor would ever be so stupid as to marry Good Old Tayls?

• Love 4

"I wonder if any woman who has ever seen this season of Survivor would ever be so stupid as to marry Good Old Tayls".

Well let's see...he has a girlfriend back home, who finds out she is pregnant while he is gone, and she gets to watch him go gaga over Figs on national TV. That would be pleasant. Then he breaks with Figs, for the good "of my family". And yes, he and Michelle have a couple of weeks together in Fiji...I'm guessing they'll find a way to pass the time.

Taylor is an idiot and as faithful as a rabbit...a smart girl, albeit pregnant, would walk. I am guessing if she has spent time with Taylor, she is a dummy as well.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AliShibaz said:

Poor old Tayls will be spending a few weeks in Ponderosa with Young Hot Michelle.

Care to guess what might happen? Care to guess what Figgy might be pissed about?

I'm guessing that if anyone I know ever decides to get married, I'd like to have them watch this season and then tell them to be careful they don't ever marry someone like Tayls because if he has no qualms about cheating his friends out of their food, what are the odds he wouldn't cheat on his wife?

I wonder if any woman who has ever seen this season of Survivor would ever be so stupid as to marry Good Old Tayls?

Why are you addressing this to me?!!

I don't "care to guess", or to speculate on Taylor's future or past sexual behavior - but I would hazzard a guess that Figgy was informed, along with the rest of the Millennial tribe*, that Taylor had a girlfriend of some sort before he entered the game, and now I hear he's back with her as she's pregnant. I wish them both, and the baby, well.

He seems like a sweet-natured fellow, whatever bumbling errors he's made along the way. I am not sure what else Figgy might be pissed about, as you put, and to be honest I'm not really interested.

*according to Michelle in an EW interview I read

22 hours ago, survivinmt said:

I don't get why people can't do simple counting. I don't agree with Sunday wanting to get Jess out, but if she is as close to Brett as she seems and gets Taylor, Will and Jay to vote with her that is ENOUGH. The others' splitting the votes means that you now have enough - which SHE KNEW they were doing.

Well it is enough to assure she would be voted out the very next tribal council.  You betray a mega-alliance for your own petty reasons and backstab everyone you are suppose to be working with and you are immediately dead in the game.

And no way would Brett vote with her if she was dead serious to go ahead with her plan this tribal council.  He would know Chris wouldn't go along because it makes no sense and it would blow up their mini-allaince what to speak of their larger alliance.  It would immediately make Ken their mortal enemy when he is now working with them.  And then the remainder of the "betrayed" (David, Zeke, Hannah and Adam) would join in.

Sunday is a dunce.  She wanted to blow-up everyone's game among all her allies (including Brett who would get heavy blow-back from it) and help only The Jay Gang in the long run because she has some personal vendetta against Jessica.  That is not the way to play Survivor.  Be totally out of control and emotionally all over the place in some self-induced state of paranoia for no determinable reason.  And it that state you want to ruin the plans of everyone else because it is only about you and you alone?

No, you have to provide other people a reason it is in THEIR best interest to make a move.  Not say you want Jessica out because you are having a mental and emotional hissy fit over her for no real reason.  The others there are not there to serve your weirdo paranoid needs.  They are there to play Survivor and try to win a million bucks.

Brett "handled" her ravings well saying he would talk to Chris about it.  He knew full well this was a no go and just diplomatically nodded in agreement and walked away from it without upsetting Sunday.  Probably warned Chris about her insanity too.  And Chris might be sharp enough to realize the fact that she saying she wanted to keep Jay was a major red flag to watch out for.  Chris was NOT on the last tribe with Jay and does not know nor trust him.

I think Zeke and Chris are positioned best to make the final three with David and/or Brett in tow.  Sunday could have made a good goat but she is starting to make Adam seem sane by comparison in her reasoning and Jay seems to have a strong emotional control over her. Ken winning the IC thus assuring Taylor's boot did everyone a favor this time around but marks him in their minds now as an IC threat down the road alas. 

Edited by green
  • Love 13
  16 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Ken 2020!!!

Absolutely! I'd vote for him. He'd HAVE to be better than our soon-to-be president.

16 hours ago, dolphincorn said:

Jay sort of looks like Richard Ramirez.

Yes, he kind of does! He creeps my girlfriend out. She thinks he looks like a demon with a little Charles Manson mixed in.

That's what I've been saying to friends...he totally has Manson eyes

• Love 2
2 hours ago, violet and green said:

<snip>

You said, "I wonder how he'll go in life in later years?"

I asked, "Care to guess what might happen? Care to guess what Figgy might be pissed about?"

I have read that Figgy has said she and Taylor are no longer talking and that she was unhappy with him for reasons she didn't want to discuss.

I'm sorry if you interpretted this as meaning I was addressing my comments to you personally.

I was just trying to respond to your saying, "I wonder how he'll go in life in later years?"

I sincerely apologize if you perceived my comments as somehow being something negative about you. I assure you that was not the case.

I hope you will forgive me if I caused you any hurt feelings. That was never my intention at all.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, green said:

<snip>

Sunday is a dunce.  She wanted to blow-up everyone's game among all her allies (including Brett who would get heavy blow-back from it) and help only The Jay Gang in the long run because she has some personal vendetta against Jessica.  That is not the way to play Survivor.  Be totally out of control and emotionally all over the place in some self-induced state of paranoia for no determinable reason.  And it that state you want to ruin the plans of everyone else because it is only about you and you alone?

<snip>

I agree.

Some people have wondered why Sunday has seemed to be almost invisible during this entire season so far.

I think you may have answered that question. At least, you certainly answered that to my satisfaction.

My guess is TPTB would not be happy letting her "rattle" on air for any length of time. IMHO, that would not be very entertaining and would not be good for ratings.

Good post!

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 1

I like Brett and his good-natured, affable personality. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and he hasn't been on anyone's radar just yet. He's close with Chris, has a strong bond with Sunday and with Jay, and seems like the kind of inoffensive player that people would trust. I'd like to see him strategize though - so far it's mostly been Chris and Jay that have led those strategy discussions, so I want to see some actual gameplay from Brett.

I also like Chris. He's stoic and dry, but I like that in a person. I also don't see him as a challenge threat, as the IC's from here on out are generally more about puzzles or endurance than brute strength. He's also well-positioned with Brett, Zeke, Sunday, and Dave as close allies.

I've disliked Sunday from day 1, so I haven't been upset about her invisible edit. Annoying voice aside, something about her just rubs me the wrong way.

Disagree about Ken not having ANY strategy. I think his strategy is just to lay very low and go with the flow -  unless he has a strong opinion about something. Unlike say, Adam or David, who will yammer all day long about what ifs, and maybes, Ken is deliberate. He's solid. Loyal. Confident. I think that will earn people's trust, and that's all the strategy he needs right now. His position within the majority alliance is tentative, as he was on the bottom with Gen-X on the original tribe. He has Jess, and maybe David and Adam, but that's it. He can't make any moves now, and I don't think it's in his best interest to suddenly flip to the millennials either.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, violet and green said:

I don't "care to guess", or to speculate on Taylor's future or past sexual behavior - but I would hazzard a guess that Figgy was informed, along with the rest of the Millennial tribe*, that Taylor had a girlfriend of some sort before he entered the game, and now I hear he's back with her as she's pregnant. I wish them both, and the baby, well.

He seems like a sweet-natured fellow, whatever bumbling errors he's made along the way. I am not sure what else Figgy might be pissed about, as you put, and to be honest I'm not really interested.

*according to Michelle in an EW interview I read

I don't agree that Taylor is "sweet natured".  He has a goofy, go-lucky, harmless slacker outward personality, but he is the type who cheats on his GF on national TV and steals food from starving people and laughs about it and cannot conceive that his victims would be offended by it.  

• Love 14

And yes, he and Michelle have a couple of weeks together in Fiji...I'm guessing they'll find a way to pass the time.

I don't understand where this notion that Michelle would hook up with Taylor comes from. They only have three days together before someone else comes to Ponderosa. Added to that, I never got any impression Michelle had a thing for Taylor or was interested in any way. She was apparently much tighter with Jay. And I certainly don't think Taylor's that irresistible that Michelle couldn't possibly be alone with him for three days at Ponderosa without something happening. Dude is a freaking moron. Yes she was in alliance with him but that doesn't mean she doesn't think he's a moron.  

• Love 20
15 hours ago, hincandenza said:

Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets me like false accusations

Me, too, and I think that's why "bearing false witness," is the only kind of lying listed in the "you shall not," section of the Big  Ten Commandments.  Taylor was the most blatant with it at Tribal Council,  but Jay did it a little with his half false, exaggerated story of what Adam told him in the ocean.  I would like to see Jay go next, in a nice, idol in pocket, blindside.

• Love 15

The only good thing that came from Taylor is Rob Cesternino's immitation of his laugh. It makes my day every single time. Maybe it will be the only thing I will remember from this season.

I am confused with Taylor expecting a baby. It doesn't necessarily mean he had a gf while being on the island, it could very well mean he had an one night stand before he left or something ti that extent. It's not clear to me what exactly happened.

We haven't heard strategy or anything else from Ken since before the merge. Why is that?

Right now I can see a winner's edit for Chris.

Hanna when you are in the bottom of a 9 people majority voting out one of the 4 people minority is NOT a big move.

Happy to see the cool kids go. Next week's double episode must be Will and Jay's boots.

I would like to see Zeke or David win.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Sugar said:

Disagree about Ken not having ANY strategy. I think his strategy is just to lay very low and go with the flow -  unless he has a strong opinion about something. Unlike say, Adam or David, who will yammer all day long about what ifs, and maybes, Ken is deliberate. He's solid. Loyal. Confident. I think that will earn people's trust, and that's all the strategy he needs right now. His position within the majority alliance is tentative, as he was on the bottom with Gen-X on the original tribe. He has Jess, and maybe David and Adam, but that's it. He can't make any moves now, and I don't think it's in his best interest to suddenly flip to the millennials either.

I agree with this. And I don't think we haven't seen ANY strategy out of him (beyond playing it cool, as you mention). He planted a seed with Jessica about Paul - mentioning how he never brings back fish. They started talking about Paul, and then she's bringing him up to the other girls....and Paul's gone. I'm not saying it's ALL on Ken. But he planted the seeds. He knew Paul was kind of running shit and Ken wasn't Paul's favorite. He was subtle about it, which was smart. 

He also appealed very well to Adam when the tribe switch happened. He and Jess could have been easy boots by Figtails and Adam, but Ken and Jess pulled Adam over. I think what works for Ken is that he is sincere and people feel they can trust him. I think that's a big part of why Adam flipped. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I think what works for Ken is that he is sincere and people feel they can trust him. I think that's a big part of why Adam flipped. 

Exactly. I don't know that everyone would call it a strategy per se, but if I was out there and had to choose someone to trust, it'd be Ken (and for non-shallow reasons, lol). I think it's a mistake to assume that because he's quiet and mellow, he's just kinda floating along. He seems like a smart guy, so I'm not discounting him yet.

Now someone like CeCe or Sunday (or even Taylor) - I could see how based on what we've seen, people could say they have no strategy. But Ken? Wouldn't count him out.

I wish Zeke had more confessionals, because I always like hearing from him. I don't get a mean girl vibe from him at all - I think he's just snarky and frustrated by some of the doofuses he was forced to work with. It doesn't come across as malicious though.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I do think we may be heading for a boring final three - like maybe Chris, Bret and Sunday. <snip>

You may be correct - of course. But I see Bret as a very long shot.

First of all, luck plays quite a role in determining the winner. So even if it makes sense that one player will likely win, all kinds of "lucky accidents" can intervene and someone will win who seems highly improbable.

But why do I say Bret is an unlikely winner? The seed has already been planted that he is a cop. Since that is true, it will be very difficult to stop that seed from growing. Bret seems like a decent sort of man. But he is also kind of a lout. I recall someone quite respected (It wasn't Norm Chomsky but it was someone of his stature) who said that, "Most cops are bullies, thugs and louts".

It's not fair to paint all cops with that brush. Some of them are decent people and truly try to help the population. But my experience has been the majority of cops take delight in acting like bullies, thugs and louts.

I would point to the latest reward challenge where Bret got as drunk as possible. It's hard to find too much fault with that. I think I might well do the same after living in those conditions for about 3 weeks. But a much bigger reason is that he never really seems to talk or think very much about strategy and - even worse - he never seems to try and influence anyone else. He seems to be content to just be loyal to his original small alliance and hope for the best. That is not a winning behavior. It usually takes a lot more than that to walk away with the million dollars.

That kind of behavior strikes me as a very cop-like.  If all their brother cops are finding illegal ways to make a little extra money, hardly any cop will stand up and squawk about that. Most will just shut up and go along. Almost no other cop is willing to behave like Serpico and risk great harm to themselves and their families.

Bret seems like one of the better cops. It's kind of unfortunate, but I think he will be tarred by the thug-like actions of most other cops.

Remember New Orleans and Katrina? Several cops just outright murdered one or more black people and beat others within an inch of their lives. As I recall several of those cops were charged and/or dismissed from the force. But only after a massive public outcry and a huge spotlight was shone on them by the media. We must not ever forget incidents like those. They are with us always. Things like that can happen to any of us (or our loved ones) at the drop of a hat.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/.../katrina-10-years-later-three-documentaries-to-watch/

Katrina, 10 Years Later: Three Documentaries to Watch | FRONTLINE

http://filmingcops.com/city-rallies-behind-huge-athlete-who-challenges-bully-cop-to-mma-fight-cop-chickens-out/

"A long-time resident of the town remarked: “Having lived in or near BM for almost 20 years, I concur that the whole department is corrupt…” One of the cops that residents specifically point to is Officer Tim Walker. Multiple residents have complained that Officer Walker has abused or bullied them to various degrees.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/im-gonna-beat-sht-you-thug-cop-bullies-teen-walking-home-school/

“Keep f**kin’ walkin’, the next time you look me in my fuckin’ eye, I’m gonna beat the sh*t out you. Now get the f**k outta here.”  – Philly Cop

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Sugar said:

I wish Zeke had more confessionals, because I always like hearing from him. I don't get a mean girl vibe from him at all - I think he's just snarky and frustrated by some of the doofuses he was forced to work with. It doesn't come across as malicious though.

Same! I really like Zeke. Most of his disdain lately has been expressed in Adam's direction, and I don't blame him. But overall, I don't get any nasty vibes from Zeke, and I hope to see him go far. 

• Love 6

I'm not sure what any of those stories from Katrina have to do with Bret....it's unfair that cops get painted with one broad brush, more so than any other profession. Also, Bret is an openly gay cop, which means he has a very different perspective and experience. And, I get the feeling that he DID tell Chris and some of the others about catching Taylor stealing food - when it was brought up at TC last week, no one seemed too shocked about it (compared with this week's revelation that he actually hoarded the food and everyone was gobsmacked). I think Bret  just didn't make a big deal about it, so as not to paint a target on himself. Just because he had this strategy during a game, doesn't mean it's how he conducts himself in real life, and in his profession.

And I guess this is exactly why Bret felt the need to lie about his job...because people will make unfair assumptions about his character.

• Love 15

Adam is clearly a good person

Clearly? We don't really know this guy. He might kick puppies every morning for all I know. 

I truly believe Taylor is a bad person: 

Now on that we agree. But then again, we've seen enough of Taylor on this show to make that judgment call. His whole attitude about stealing the food, laughing about it - that's a pretty good indication of character. 

It's easier to spot a bad egg than a good egg.

You may be correct - of course. But I see Bret as a very long shot.

You make a good case, and maybe Bret specifically won't be in the final 3. My main point is that I don't think the players who are getting the most air time right now is indicative of who's going to make the final three, or who will win. That used to be the case, in seasons past. But I think lately the show has simply focused on whoever they found the most interesting. We got a lot of Michaela and we got a lot of Taylor, and they're gone now. So just because we see a lot of Adam and Jay doesn't mean they make it to the end.

I do, however, think it's worth noting that Bret seems to get a few talking heads every episode when Ken and Jessica don't. There's probably a reason for that. And it's not because he is currently shaking things up, or a target.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Knuckles said:

"I wonder if any woman who has ever seen this season of Survivor would ever be so stupid as to marry Good Old Tayls".

Well let's see...he has a girlfriend back home, who finds out she is pregnant while he is gone, and she gets to watch him go gaga over Figs on national TV. That would be pleasant. Then he breaks with Figs, for the good "of my family". And yes, he and Michelle have a couple of weeks together in Fiji...I'm guessing they'll find a way to pass the time.

Taylor is an idiot and as faithful as a rabbit...a smart girl, albeit pregnant, would walk. I am guessing if she has spent time with Taylor, she is a dummy as well.

Right!  Looks like Tays has plans to be an extra for Viking History on the History Chanel.  Bangin Bod?  Um, no.

5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I agree with himela above.  We don't know if he had some exclusive thing back home when he left.  Since he knew the show was televised, I doubt he thought he was really sneaking one by on anyone.  So the normal assumption to me seems to be that he had something casual or over back home and that he has nothing to apologize for.  Though Figgie's reaction makes me think he did do something egregious post-show, like try to string her and the other girl along at the same time, or something.

I agree with your last line.  See link above for a pretty good telling of the story.

In his interview with Rob he claimed he broke ot off with Figgy in July cause of personal family problems and that's why Figgy is now bitter. He also mentioned he has seen a lot of Survivor. Anyway, bye bye Taylor.

On 2016-11-17 at 11:01 AM, fishcakes said:

Although I don't like every single person who's playing this season, I'm really liking them as a group. The casting feels more like an early season, where they had a mix of different personalities, rather than just one or two heinous guys and a bunch of other people doing nothing but talking about the heinous guys. I do wish the editing were more like the early seasons though, where screen time was more evenly distributed among the players. Last night, I didn't really need to see that much time spent on a moron trying to figure out what kind of fruit was in his mouth.

I have to give the Casting Director their due.

The casting this season seems to me to be the best I can ever remember. Someone did a great job. Perhaps "luck" also played a big part. Whatever the truth, this cast seems to have just come together in a way that is extremely entertaining.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, himela said:

In his interview with Rob he claimed he broke ot off with Figgy in July cause of personal family problems and that's why Figgy is now bitter. He also mentioned he has seen a lot of Survivor. Anyway, bye bye Taylor.

I don't understand why Figgy would be so bitter. Seems to me that a young woman of her age with her looks and personality could have her choice of a million young men - most of whom are far better specimens than Taylor. Could the truth be that she feels publicly shamed? Is most of her bitterness due to having this happened in the public spotlight?

I remember that shortly after they met, Figgy talked about Taylor's eyes and how they were the thing that drew her towards him. Is that a shortcoming in her character? I honestly don't know.

Or maybe it's very different for people to look at things from the outside than it is to feel what it's like from the inside. I've never understood why it is that so many women who I feel just "have it all" seem to be deeply hurt by things that seem so clearly small and trivial. But these things seem to be devestating to the women they happen to. It's always been a mystery to me. Perhaps I just lack the requisite empathy?

Edited by AliShibaz
15 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm perplexed that people find that deep male voice annoying.  I find it gorgeous.  Do you guys find James Earl Jones' voice annoying?  Or does Will have some accent I'm not hearing?  Sunday sounds like a Minnesota Minnie Mouse.  

It's not just deep. It's also flat. And there's this nasal quality to it, like he has a really stuffed nose. I don't know. It doesn't bother me that badly, but my husband can't stand it. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, himela said:

Does that make sense to you? She is bitter because he broke off with her because of his personal family problems?

That just makes no sense to me. If true, how would his problems with his family that have anything to do with Figgy? Seems to me that someone is lying here.

Ever hear of Occam's Razor? My guess would be the truth is probably the simplest possible explanation and that would be that Taylor already had a relationship with some lady and that she was pregnant at the time he met Figgy. Seems only natural that Figgs would be very angry or hurt when she found this out. Seems like Taylor behaved like a child who had a full stomach but then saw a piece of cake and decided that he could eat that cake and have it too.

It's one thing to behave like a goof. But when one's goofy behavior will obviously be very hurtful to someone else, there is just no excuse. What a fool! The fact that Taylor is a so-called "Millenial" does not excuse a thing. Behaving like that marks hims as an "asshole" and a "bastard" and that is the kind of behavior that often causes other people to become so enraged that they go and get a gun and shoot someone.

I'm not suggesting that Taylor deserves to be the victim of some extreme violence. But if he did began a love affair with Figgy, while he had a pregnant girlfriend at home and thought he could get away with that or that the consequences wouldn't touch him for a long time, well, the only words that comes to my mind are "stupid" and "despicable". What a prick! What an asshole! If he thought he could get away with that (despite carrying on with Figgy on National TV), then he must also be an incredible freaking imbecile!

But we already knew all of that as a result of his food stealing stupidity.

Edited by AliShibaz
  • Love 5
On 11/16/2016 at 9:51 PM, charleeeeeeeeene said:

Maybe it's because I like rooting for the underdog, but I'm really enjoying watching Jay. 

Maybe it's that Jay-charisma that Zeke was talking about in last week's episode, but I too enjoy Jay very VERY much. Everyone else can fight over Ken, I'll have me some Jay.

• Love 3

I don't think we can assume Figgy is bitter because Taylor says she is. Seems more likely that Figgy was happy to see the last of Taylor. She might have thought she could stand him while their fame lasted, because it might have been fun ... but I doubt she was planning a future with him.

• Love 1