Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Cell

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm thinking this would have been a much bigger thing around here and the internets, if true.... but according to someone I work with, they claim to have (somehow) seen Negan, in the distance, watching that whole situation go down.  Like I said, I'm very hesitant to believe that since I've never seeing it mentioned elsewhere, but its a [very] slight possibility.

Oh, there was apparently a car way off in the distance. I didn't see it until someone put a picture online, and circled it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/comments/45yccp/spoilers_the_car_behind_the_biker_gang_hd_snaps/

And I just realized that the episode synopsis was a complete lie.  How is spending an episode with Negan's group considered "meet(ing) a new group"?  Never before met people within his group, yes, but not a new group.  Eppy-descriptor monkey fell asleep at the wheel on this one.

• Love 3

So is Negan basically trying to make a new mini-Negan, since Sherry was taking a pregnancy test? I didn't realize that she and Dwight were a thing (can't even remember what happened last season, lol) and thought that they were some distant friends. And thought it was nice of him to say "maybe next month" or something like that.  

Also I was sure that Daryl was gonna stay mute the whole frikkin episode. But of course he had some deep thoughts in him, behind those greasy bangs. I cant understand why I still lust NR.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Hmm, wow.

Seriously, how do people spot this stuff?  I'd never have thought to look that far off in the distance for a clue.  Never.

Agree the car was just a goof. No one used to see these things until we had the ability (and the desire) to go through movies and shows frame by frame, looking for the tiniest error.

• Love 1

Having to listen to Easy Street blasted in my ear 24/7 would be more horrifying than get bashed in the head with Lucille.  I like how Dwight showed mercy in the end by switching to some Roy Orbison.  You can cry a little and then fall asleep to his dulcet tones.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, MaggieG said:

They still film In Georgia so you were half right :)

My husband was born and raised in Georgia, and he commented during the King Ezekiel episode that the houses shown in many scenes were very typical of the architecture near where he grew up and made it obvious that the actors and the set were not in D.C. 

I vaguely recall some rumors floating around after Daryl, Abraham and Sasha blasted Negan's gang on the road - something about "if you DVR'd it, go back and freeze frame it....looks like someone running/driving away in the background...." Has it ever been confirmed (via TTD or elsewhere) that someone actually witnessed that rocket launcher bit and lived to report back about it? Carol mentioned it to Paula (Alicia Witt) when she and Maggie were being held hostage, but all of their captors were killed by the end of that ep. 

I'm solidly in the school of thought that someone in the Savior community should just off Negan and the let the chips fall where they may. With 100+ soldiers and most of them hating the guy, I don't think there are enough loyal henchmen to stop a rebellion. Heck, even the winged monkeys were grateful to Dorothy once she soaked the Wicked Witch of the West.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Man, I am going to love seeing Negan get his.  And honestly, I just can't, with the whole storyline.  You're telling me that one man, with a bat, has subdued (seems like) hundreds?  Nobody has ever thought 'what would really happen if I just blew his brains out?'?  They all work for him, because of fear, so in the end, who's going to be super upset to see him go?  Take the head off the snake, and watch the whole 'structure' collapse.  What the hell am I missing here!?

It is a bit confounding. As fake as it all was, the Governor at least took care of his people. With the Cannibals and Claimers, everyone allowed into the group was essentially on even footing. Wolves too. This guy is like a slave driver, and I don't think even his closest henchmen have the best setup, to be honest. Working for Negan, you'd bee constantly walking on eggshells and looking over your shoulder. 

• Love 5

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, but the Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "The Cell":

“The Walking Dead” declined a little bit more with its third episode of the season Sunday, but it still had no real competition for the top spot in the cable rankings.

The show drew a 5.7 rating in adults 18-49 and 11.721 million viewers, down from 6.1 and 12.46 million the previous week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-nov-6-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 7, so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million;
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million

• Love 1
11 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Seriously, how do people spot this stuff?  I'd never have thought to look that far off in the distance for a clue.  Never.

This show. They either Lucille you to death with the obvious, or make things so obscure that not even the most astute viewer would pick up on it. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Raven1707 said:

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, but the Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "The Cell":

“The Walking Dead” declined a little bit more with its third episode of the season Sunday, but it still had no real competition for the top spot in the cable rankings.

The show drew a 5.7 rating in adults 18-49 and 11.721 million viewers, down from 6.1 and 12.46 million the previous week.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-nov-6-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 7, so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million;
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million

Well if it's any indication, I watched Westworld on Sunday and watched TWD on Monday.  Westworld has taken over the "must see" spot while TWD is DVR material.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ouisch said:

My husband was born and raised in Georgia, and he commented during the King Ezekiel episode that the houses shown in many scenes were very typical of the architecture near where he grew up and made it obvious that the actors and the set were not in D.C. 

Those of us from the area know that with every single scene.   If they really were in DC and Northern VA nobody would be starving to death.  There is water everywhere, they could live their whole life just fishing.  Also where is winter?  And there is a CVS on every corner.  Where are the CVSs?

Just sayin'.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I think the only thing they share is an allergy to scissors and hair clippers.

Don't forget soap, water and a washcloth.

6 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

It is a bit confounding. As fake as it all was, the Governor at least took care of his people. With the Cannibals and Claimers, everyone allowed into the group was essentially on even footing. Wolves too. This guy is like a slave driver, and I don't think even his closest henchmen have the best setup, to be honest. Working for Negan, you'd bee constantly walking on eggshells and looking over your shoulder. 

That's why the Negan story is not (yet?) compelling.  It defies logic that this many people would stick with a guy who basically embraces the worst personality traits, and still keeps a group of this size loyal and the majority devoted to him and his hive-mind philosophy.  I get that he's over the top, he is a "comic book" villain after all.  However, the psychology behind his devoted cult is just hand-waved away by Kirkman & Co. and was just hinted at What are these people getting from him in particular?  

It is a base human need to want to feel safe, but it is also a base human need to feel free and not subservient. (Woodbury had that to a degree - no one wanted to leave except Michonne.)   Any leader that makes you afraid to say or do the wrong thing at the wrong time, takes your spouse for his own, doesn't allow you to leave the "Family" lest you be killed or maimed, is not a leader that would be in power very long.  You will either be taken out by a coup, or abandoned by your followers (which we know has happened).

OOOH! UNLESS.... Negan was wise enough to get 2 main factions in his family: Sadists and Masochists.  In that case, never-mind - that. could. work!

I'm spending way too much thought on this.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Those shots of him sitting naked were almost considered too 'dirty' for TV, in more ways than one.

Do you mean because of his bodily filth? It can't be because he was nekkid. All the important parts were not on display, to the huge disappointment of a million fangirls. But I keep forgetting that the human body is more verboten and obscene on this show than a skull crushed into yucky goop.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Right.  The Governor knew it was easier to control people who are at least moderately content.  He lied to them about outside threats to keep them loyal to him, which was also excellent political commentary.  Life under Negan is not only slavery, he gloats about it constantly.  And you're right, even the henchmen don't have that great of a set-up, which should be obvious to them when they go collect tribute from better places like The Kingdom or ASZ.  Those people are serfs in this system, but they are free other than that.  It would be better to be a serf in a decent community than live with Negan.

6 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Daryl must take real pride in it.  He's had multiple chances to both bathe and have his hair cut - or at the very least trimmed - but yet he still looks like a filthy homeless hobo after all this time.

And he wasn't like that in the first few seasons.  And Merle was a terrible person, but he was clean.

• Love 4

There were elements of this that I really enjoyed.  However, countless scenes of the two men doing escapist things with the zombies outside of the chain link fence, along with Dwight's endless motorcycle ride and Negan's endless ramblings were a bit too much.  I think the episode did show how Negan and his community threaten those who are already there.  However, like others, I can't believe that there's not a growing conspiracy against Negan's rule.  I do see Hilltop, Alexandria, the Kingdom, and Negan's discontents joining forces at some point to take out Negan and those who enjoy the environment of torture and pain.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peach said:

And Merle was a terrible person, but he was clean.

He wasn't that terrible. He just liked other people to underestimate him. We never found out how he ended up in Woodbury, but after who knows what suffering he endured after the rooftop thing, I can't really fault him for doing whatever he needed to do in exchange for food, safety, shelter and street fairs with lemonade. I can't say what I'd do in that  situation.

1 hour ago, peach said:

As fake as it all was, the Governor at least took care of his people.

Exactly. He had enough sense to get them to love him, to see him as their savior and guardian. This is a much more intelligent strategy  than to have people who hate and fear you, as do Negan's slaves. If you rule by terror, you have to be constantly on guard against rebellion and attack.  Not wise.

• Love 5

Pretty much everything's already been covered. Much as I like JDM, seeing his schtick week after week is already getting boring. Nothing dumber than a long winded villain. But here's the part that chaps my ass... With as much fighting skill and desperation as Darryl has, there's no way he would stand mere feet away from Negan and NOT snatch the bat from him and simply smash him in the face with it until he was incapacitated. To have a villain armed only with a bat, no sidearm, is ridiculous and unbelievable. Ditto with Rick when he was alone with Negan, except at least Rick had the excuse of knowing the rest of his group might be at risk if he took out the gang's leader. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, BonnieD said:

With as much fighting skill and desperation as Darryl has, there's no way he would stand mere feet away from Negan and NOT snatch the bat from him and simply smash him in the face with it until he was incapacitated. To have a villain armed only with a bat, no sidearm, is ridiculous and unbelievable. Ditto with Rick when he was alone with Negan, except at least Rick had the excuse of knowing the rest of his group might be at risk if he took out the gang's leader.

Well, I think Daryl has seen that when one person commits a no-no, it's the others who suffer and he feels guilty enough already about Glenn. As for Rick, he knew Cworl was back there, and he would not do anything to put him at risk. Without that threat to his kid, I think Rick may have buried the hachet in Negan's skull and done us all a favor.

You know an episode is boring that when you watch a villain, instead of being interested in what he's going to do next, you instead marvel at what perfect teeth he's been able to maintain in a ZA.  Maybe one of his Saviors is a dentist.

• Love 6

My biggest problem with Negan is that we haven't seen his back story so he's completely cartoonish as a villain. Over the years we've gotten a look back at everyone so you can kind of see where they come from but when it comes to bad guys like the Governor or Negan, it's like they just sprouted fully formed. If the audience doesn't see what turned them into the repugnant characters they are, it's hard to for us to empathize with them. Even Garreth & Mary had enough backstory to tell us why they became cannibals. Negan's got nothing but a costume and a bat.

• Love 2

What was the significance of 39?  I know it was the bunk number where he stole the mustard and pickles, but what made him write it so deliberately? What is the purpose of the walker pen?

It's hard to take the Negan dominion seriously when no is benefiting from his reign of terror. Where is the inner circle that is living large? Dwight doesn't compare to the Governor's researcher Milton. No relaxed and trusted henchman like Martinez. Can't figure out why he's protected.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, RustbeltWriter said:

Over the years we've gotten a look back at everyone so you can kind of see where they come from but when it comes to bad guys like the Governor or Negan, it's like they just sprouted fully formed.

IMO, with the Gov we did get glimpses - he was married with a child, in a shitty job he hated. He was probably just a regular guy because he said if he was what he became as the Governor (ruthless and brutal, I guess), his daughter would still be alive. I took it all to mean it was Penny turning and his own guilt that set him off on the path he took. We need to find out something about Negan too. If he's kept as a two-dimensional cartoon whose only motivation is to be evil for its own sake = major bore.

• Love 2

Negan makes it easy. He's a protector and provider and you don't have to think anymore; just do what he says and everything will be fine. I can see the appeal in post-apocalyptic zombie-world where everything is a fight for survival. People just have a job, do their job, get fed and clothed and not have to worry much about day-to-day survival anymore. The people who might've had real thoughts of rebellion probably ended up in his circle of lieutenants - with their own taste of power and even better rewards. Those who seemed like real problems were made examples of (or their families/friends were) until yeah - hundreds of people fell in line. I can see how it can be done.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, marcee said:

Negan makes it easy. He's a protector and provider and you don't have to think anymore; just do what he says and everything will be fine. I can see the appeal in post-apocalyptic zombie-world where everything is a fight for survival. People just have a job, do their job, get fed and clothed and not have to worry much about day-to-day survival anymore. The people who might've had real thoughts of rebellion probably ended up in his circle of lieutenants - with their own taste of power and even better rewards. Those who seemed like real problems were made examples of (or their families/friends were) until yeah - hundreds of people fell in line. I can see how it can be done.

I will be leaving the area of the country where Marcee creates her empire!

• Love 2
On 11/6/2016 at 10:05 PM, Red Fields said:

Does Negan carry Lucille everywhere with him?

Yup. And soon she's going to get a sex change. And her new name will be Michael. That way, whenever Negan wants to make a twenty minute villain monologue, he'll already be carrying a Mike.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Ouisch said:

Dunno if y'all have seen this before or not, but Denise Huth posted this photo a while ago. During a break in filming during Season 6 Norman took a nap on her office sofa. He got it so filthy that the production company bought her a new one.

http://insharee.com/m/1365342456376706571_506256154

Dear gawd, that's just nasty.  I understand actors wanting some degree of realism/authenticity to their role, but that just turned me off of Reedus for good.

This installment was just a snoozefest.  Ironically, even before seeing that picture linked above, I mentioned to Mini Persnickety that Daryl was so extremely filthy and greasy that I was finding it distasteful just to look at him on HD.

HOWEVER, in one scene, TPTB must have used a foot double for Daryl, because the exposed top part of his foot was spotlessly clean.  No way did that hoof belong to Reedus/Daryl.  Hell, that's one time a part of his anatomy should have been filthy, wallowing around in that cell.

I still maintain that the unfortunate-looking Dwight looks like the love child of Matthew McConaghey and Ryan Gosling.  

I'm really looking forward to this Sunday night.  I enjoyed the Kingdom, but The Cell?  No.  No, thank you.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Before I got Lucilled into a coma of boredom, I did note this and wonder if it's supposed to have significance?

YQoFQT1.jpg

What part of the picture? The walker hands or the angel in general? When that lady walkied that Gordon ran away, she said that it could either be the angel way, the moth(?) way or some other way, which seems to be code for the different ways you can get into the Sanctuary. I assumed the statue was in the foreground to show us that he went the angel way. If that's what you meant.

On 11/8/2016 at 4:11 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

And I just realized that the episode synopsis was a complete lie.  How is spending an episode with Negan's group considered "meet(ing) a new group"?  Never before met people within his group, yes, but not a new group.  Eppy-descriptor monkey fell asleep at the wheel on this one.

Honestly, I think they accidentally gave a description of last week's ep.

• Love 2