Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Cell

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

The Saviors are really the most depressing group.  Even the cannibals were all in it together.  This totalitarian life is miserable and not really intriguing.  And I don't care about Sherry or Dwight or anyone else.  And once the initial shock wore off, I'd think even Daryl would be smart enough to go, oh, yeah, I'm Negan, too.   Sure.  When do I get to pick out my motorcycle?

• Love 24

So, this really wasn't even a Daryl-centric episode, but more of a Dwight-centric episode, it felt like.  I guess it is kind of interesting finding out he, his wife, and his sister had been running from Negan, and makes me look different in their past episode when they betrayed Daryl, but I'm still not sure why I should care about two people who are likely canon fodder.

Besides that, Daryl went through the normal torture aspects like crappy food, no clothes, music blaring in his ears all time, and then failing an obvious "test", and then getting tossed right back into his cell.  Yawn!  And now he just gave his game away that he believes he has no one he cares about anymore to fall in line, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Negan just gets someone else from the group and lords them over Daryl's head, until he complies.  Yawn, again.

I actually thought they tone down Negan's annoying speechifying slightly, and I thought Jeffery Dean Morgan even sold a few of the lines (I was strangely amused over him asking Dwight about his problems downstairs, because he said penis, instead of dick, like I would have thought he would), but I'm still not feeling him.  Although, I'm actually hoping that when his time comes, instead of him getting the shit kick out of him, they just break or burn "Lucille."  I'm getting so tired of him blabbing on about "her", and I think he's crazy enough, I could see him screaming "Nooo!" and crying, if anything happened to that stupid bat.

MVP of the night definitely goes to Gordon, for just asking "Why in the hell did we just let this one person scare the crap out of all of us?"  Really, how did they?  He's not that intimating or charismatic (not JDM's fault), for me to buy that he has become this powerful.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Bees52 said:

How is it that the vegetables look more alive and vibrant than the people in this town. They're all one step up from the walkers in chill mode.

Wait until we find out that Dwight is also running the local Subway franchise at the Sanctuary.  :)

• Love 9

I thought this episode was okay.  Setting up Negan-World is essential since he's the mastervillain on the show this season, so that was going to happen sooner or later. 

Inasmuch as I just had a blood pressure spike remembering Andrea, I've been on the team long enough to know there won't be chock-a-block action and cool as shit tigers every episode.

So far, I think the group's split divisions are more interesting than when we had to watch Daryl and Beth mosey about rural America.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Could have been worse. Could have been Celine Dion, but I don't think even Negan is that cruel.

3 minutes ago, Reghan said:

I would have started singing along really loudly. 

Imagine Negan or Dwight doing the singing...

• Love 5

OMG, yellow mustard has no place on a tomato, egg, and lettuce sandwich!

Nice to know that in the event of a ZA, there will still be talented bread makers. And I'm seriously glad now that I kept my 80s videotapes after a recent move because apparently they are valued in a Negan dominated world. "Negan, I'll give you a whole 8 hours of 'Family Ties' and 'The Cosby Show' if you don't turn my head to mush. Please and thank you. Are you thirsty? I think I've got some Bartles and Jaymes hidden in my foot locker. We can party like it's 1985!"

I didn't like this episode at all. I'm thinking I don't like this show very much any more.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, ShadowSixx said:

Them singing would be torturing to the viewers. They already tortured us with this episode alone let's not make it worse.

I almost wish they were torturing us on purpose. That would be better than thinking "they" really feel they've done a bang-up job here and high-fiving each other at how innovative, arty and  brilliant they are. Depressing thought.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That was dog food. To someone who chowed down on a worm and squirrel guts, Alpo would be haute cuisine.

Exactly, this episode was so boring that I kept wondering why Dwight couldn't be civil and at least toast the bread.  I get it's the zombie apocalypse but they have a running generator and no working oven, toaster, toaster oven, or just a flame pit?  Savage...

2 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Although this episode moved like molasses, was it just me or was it 2 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials, then repeat for 1 hour?

This is why I won't watch this show live.  They keep getting ratings good enough to have all these damned commercials.  Sign me up for just fast forwarding my DVR.  They can get the ad revenue back when they remember what proper plot pacing is.

• Love 11

I read an advanced preview and the words "Negan monologue" were enough to deter me. Actually, the word "Negan" was enough to deter me.  Skimming through a recap it was.

Scale of my interest: CDB>Kingdom and Jesus>.................>other Alexandrians>...................................>Hilltop>...............................>a documentary about ants on cookies>........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................>Negan and the Saviors.

I'm at the point where Michonne, one of my favorite characters of all times, isn't enough of an incentive to ensure I'll watch next week. I will check a recap before I decide if Negan can be FFd or if he pollutes too much of the episode for me.  I know that most of the season is filmed already, I love many characters and actors and the Kingdom showed me that the writers still can do some storylines right; so I'm not giving up on TWD yet.  But I'll proceed with caution and choose my adventure. One hour of abuse, threats of abuse, retelling of abuse, and constant humiliation at the hands of a clownesque scenery-chewing bully is not one I'll ever be likely to choose.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

This was just dull. I honestly don't care about the Sanctuary in the least and my interest in Daryl is damn near gone.

I don't know how many more Negan monologues I can take. Not even JDM is making him interesting.

Any hope of a Dwight redemption for me went out the window when he taped the picture of Glenn to the wall. Maggie can use Lucille on him and then pass it to Sasha and Rosita to double team Negan.

I don't know that anyone would make him more interesting to me. Maybe Bryan Cranston, who was perfect as Walter "I am the Danger" White.

I actually liked Dwight a little more, by the end of the episode. I agree with his ex-friend, that he shot, but it seems that he's still scared of something happening to his ex-wife. He didn't look like he enjoyed torturing Daryl. I'm still not impressed with Negan. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Bees52 said:

Ok that "Easy Street" song is starting to get tortuous to me having to hear it all episode. Darryl is quite strong to withstand it.

I kept thinking that at least it wasn't "Call me, Maybe". That song drove me nuts, when it was everywhere. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, this really wasn't even a Daryl-centric episode, but more of a Dwight-centric episode, it felt like.  I guess it is kind of interesting finding out he, his wife, and his sister had been running from Negan, and makes me look different in their past episode when they betrayed Daryl, but I'm still not sure why I should care about two people who are likely canon fodder.

I'm thinking that Dwight, Sherry, or both will be joining the main group at one point, and that's why this episode featured them both so heavily.  I mean, at least one new character joins the group every season, right?  (I haven't seen seasons one through three, so just fill in the blanks for me with those.)

Season four: Abraham, Eugene, and Rosita.
Season five: Father Gabriel, Noah (though he only lasted a few episodes, thanks to Nicholas's cowardice), and Aaron.
Season six: Morgan.

Wouldn't surprise me if, at one point, they're also meant to come along and join the main group eventually.  Though likely not till after Negan's dealt with.

• Love 2

Not only was it dull, but I was totally surprised when it ended. I felt I missed some major storyline. I got the bullet points, but it didn't flow. When Dwight was side eyeing the walker on the pole, I thought the thing might have been exhibiting some new behavior. I didn't understand what I was supposed to be seeing. Looking at that red glaze of filth on Daryl's face was repulsive. Daryl centric without a strong actor to play against, do not work.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, peach said:

Well, according to what they just said on Talking Dead, they just thought, "wouldn't it be cool to have a shot of a walker falling off a bridge?!?!"  So they did it.  <sigh>

But the back story for the show was that a car went over the side of the overpass leaving a gap which led to walkers falling off the bridge onto the road below.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Although, I'm actually hoping that when his time comes, instead of him getting the shit kick out of him, they just break or burn "Lucille."  I'm getting so tired of him blabbing on about "her", and I think he's crazy enough, I could see him screaming "Nooo!" and crying, if anything happened to that stupid bat.

He might choke up.

God, the commercials!

• Love 1

I don't find Negan charismatic at all.  He is a psychopath and a bully and talks way too much.  I don't care about Sherry or Dwight.  They are bullies too and deserve whatever happens to them.  I don't care if they are having second thoughts.  Shooting Gordon in the back wasn't an act of rebellion or mercy, it was cowardice.

Come on, writers, this storyline is tedious.  You can have Rick and Carol come in guns blazing any time now and take out those creeps.  Honestly, I'm already bored with Negan's pontificating and threats.  The over the top violence of epi 1 didn't drive me away from the show but boredom might.  

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Isn't that what everyone says about psychotic tyrant types like Negan? It would be pretty easy to kill them during their sleep? It would be pretty easy, yes, and yet no one does it. Why not? Fear.

I suppose there wouldn't be much of a show if they killed the villain. I thought I would like Negan. I like JDM, but he's over the top nasty.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ikmccall said:

But the back story for the show was that a car went over the side of the overpass leaving a gap which led to walkers falling off the bridge onto the road below.

I find it annoying that I have to watch Talking Dead to figure out what happened on the Walking Dead.

• Love 16

They don't even need to try to kill Negan in his sleep.  Hell, they have guns.  You have a gun trained on whoever the current victim is while Negan is pontificating.  Negan makes a loud noise or sudden move and you "jump" in reaction.  Your finger grazes the trigger and your aim gets thrown off just enough to blow Negan's head off.  Oops!  My bad.  You just have to be prepared to eat your gun in case you miss.  And frankly, listening to Negan go on and on and on, ad nauseum, would make my WANT to eat my gun.

• Love 14

I don't know if was the adjustment to the time change or the writers, but I fell asleep several times during this episode. That has only happened to me once with new TWD episodes, and its name was "Slabtown". So that's saying a lot. A whole lot of nodding off and rewinding going on. 

Honestly, I've been over Daryl for awhile now, so between his greasy moping and Negan's tendency towards the verbose, I was largely uninterested. In fact, the only person I found even marginally interesting was Dwight. It was enlightening to get his and Sherry's entire backstory and see the way Negan has totally emasculated him. He thinks he did the right thing by becoming a henchmen, but sometimes he almost looked jealous of the guys in the walker pit. And he's clearly angry at Daryl because he wishes that HE could refuse to kneel like Daryl does. 

Daryl is stupid, though. Did he really think that door just got left unlocked on accident? It's all one big test. Negan has this hard on for breaking whom he perceives to be the toughest of dudes. It's boring. We all know he's not going to Lucille Daryl, so there's no point in getting all worked up about it. 

Oddly, tortured, dog-food-eating Daryl appears just as grimy and gross as free-in-ASZ Daryl. 

Final thoughts - I hate that Easy Street song. Not because it was annoying, but because it took a perfectly good Jam song out of my head. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Shooting Gordon in the back wasn't an act of rebellion or mercy, it was cowardice.

I thought shooting Gordon in the back was a compromise. Negan wanted the dude brought back, but as much as Dwight was trying to sell it, he knew that life wasn't worth it. But he also knew he had to bring back a somewhat functioning Gordon, so he killed in where he could still turn. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Wait until we find out that Dwight is also running the local Subway franchise at the Sanctuary.  :)

He used to run the Chipotle...but that e-coli would not die.....

• Love 3
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Negan wants to know if Dwight's penis is functioning? First of all - EWW. And second, I worked with a whole bunch of men my whole life and never heard one of them refer to his own or anyone else's as a "penis." The only word they used was "dick."

I guess I latched onto that because I was bored out of my skull watching Daryl get dirtier and spending long moments looking at Dwight's two expressions. Ah, Negan - all you had to do was lead Daryl into a bathroom with a tub full of hot water and bubbles. He would have done anything you wanted with a threat like that.

Other than that, I don't have much to say. How much time was filled watching Dwight walking the bike along the highway and looking at walkers? Daryl's dirt must be like a suit of armor that protects him during severe beatings.  Oh, and I enjoyed hearing Roy Orbison's "Crying."

That's exactly what I said to my Mum!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bees52 said:

How is it that the vegetables look more alive and vibrant than the people in this town. They're all one step up from the walkers in chill mode.

We *did* see how much pot they were growing, so.... I'd hate to give Negan credit for that kind of tactical smart, though.  

9 hours ago, peach said:

The Saviors are really the most depressing group.  Even the cannibals were all in it together.  This totalitarian life is miserable and not really intriguing.  And I don't care about Sherry or Dwight or anyone else.  And once the initial shock wore off, I'd think even Daryl would be smart enough to go, oh, yeah, I'm Negan, too.   Sure.  When do I get to pick out my motorcycle?

That.  Just freakin' say you're Negan.  Who cares?

And again with hating to assign smarts to anyone, but is Daryl's assertion that he doesn't have anyone part of a plan?  Did he say that in the hope that any consequences he gets will be less likely to be taken out on anyone else?  Because no one's buying that.  

• Love 5

Although this episode moved like molasses, was it just me or was it 2 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercials, then repeat for 1 hour?  I mean AMC is typically ridiculous on commercials, but it seemed even more so tonight.

It was terrible.  

Not only because there were too many too frequently, but because they were so jarring. 

Most of the time commercials come at some sort of a natural break in the flow of things but these just seemed to break in at the oddest times. I think they are shaving seconds off the end of the scene in order to cram in even more commercial time which makes us feel like we just got dumped right out of the show- there was not even the slightest pause at the transition.

It sucked and really took me out of the show.

• Love 6

I haven't read the comics but is Negan so very talkative there as well? I like what JDM is doing or is trying to do, but the writing goes on too long and spins every threat off into Boringtown. 

What is that walker fence for? Defense? Intimidation? For bad fighters to practice with/on? I didn't really understand that, and I certainly didn't understand Dwight's eons-long scenes looking out over that fence.

Darryl. I want to care but when is he ever clean? He literally looks no different than when he was free. I hope they water torture him next episode or something because I am wayyyy tired of seeing Darryl Dixon filthy and with greasy bangs artfully cut and arranged ~just so~ around his face. 

Dwight is annoying. Sherry is annoying. I just don't care about any of these characters (yet). Yawn.

• Love 7

This season is feeling more and more like an endurance test or the one that will go down in memory as the one that TPTB used to determine just how much unrelenting crap their monster sized audience is willing to sit through.  

Also show, I know that Norman Reedus is inexplicably a fan favorite, but neither he nor Daryl can pull off a Daryl centric episode without a much stronger actor he has strong chemistry with to do a lot of the lifting.  Daryl has really only been interesting to me with Rick or Carol for a couple of seasons now.  What appears to be a lot of blank stares through stringy hair and mumbling monosyllables just isn't cutting it.   It also might be more believable when Negan tells him he looks like shit after days of supposedly laying in his own filth if he didn't look exactly as greasy and unkemp as he does every other episode, even the ones where we're to think he has regular access to soap and running water.

As with most bad episodes of this show, this one felt like they had a kernel of an interesting idea in the Dwight and Sherry story and contrasting the leadership and quality of life in two very disparate communities led by the two very different if over the top public personalities of Negan this week to Ezekiel last week.  But like so many of the worst episodes, it spent too much time showing us the same scenes over and over again and basically circling the drain without saying a whole lot while Negan chewed ever more scenery.  We get it.  Negan is an equal opportunity asshole who treats his own people terribly, causing a lot of resentment.  Bad people are sometimes bad people because they've been backed into a corner and don't feel like they have any good choices.  Really nothing new to see here.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, and I enjoyed hearing Roy Orbison's "Crying."

Sorry to get all racial here but did not one single soul, r&b, jazz, or blues mix cd survive the freakin apocalypse?

10 hours ago, Rosiejuliemom said:

This was just dull. I honestly don't care about the Sanctuary in the least and my interest in Daryl is damn near gone.

Sadly, grossly, and interestingly the Daryl moment I found most intriguing was the scene showing that he vomited.  I didn't think Daryl could throw up since his stomach is made out of seasoned cast iron.  I guess nerves and emotions will sicken him.  Food simply cannot at this point.  For the life of me I don't see what they are doing with Daryl.  He seems to be getting dumber.  I juxtaposed his imprisonment with Rick at the Terminus trough, Michonne with the Governor, Glen with Merle, Maggie and Carol with the Saviors.  The rest of our group, even when cornered, are still thinking, still fighting.  Go along to get along in order to get out.  Don't take the bait, BE the bait.  Even brother Merle would have done that.  What is wrong with Daryl?

10 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

We saw what it did to Lori.

Shane's appendage truly is a dangerous weapon.  That said, in the interest of the greater good, to save lives, I will sacrifice myself and take ownership of it.  I'll thank you...er...you'll thank me later.

5 hours ago, Anela said:

He didn't look like he enjoyed torturing Daryl. 

I'm feigning interest to force analysis here, but I think Dwight actually likes Daryl.  He knows that Daryl was nice to him when they met.  I believe he has been jealous of what Daryl found in the apocalypse - not Nazi Germany, but a group of people who let him roam free as a bird, but welcome him with open arms when he returns.  A group who send their strongest to come find him because they CARE.  I truly believe that Dwight wants to break Daryl before Negan does because Negan will be more cruel about.  He brought the picture of Glenn and put on Roy Orbison because he wanted Daryl to break down - which is not the same as breaking.  Daryl needs to find his center in order to strengthen himself to get out of there.  Also I think we are getting a Dwight backstory to set up him being the one to either kill Negan or be the "in" our group will get to kill Negan.  I don't care WHO kills Negan, they just need to hurry up.  In my boredom, I've imagined that baby Judith, cutting her front teeth, pulls out Negan's jugular.  It will be the Maury moment in the show when we find out that "Rick.  You ARE the father!"

• Love 20

So this is one of those moments where I didn't mind the episode at all, even though a majority of this board seemed to hate it. I've always liked the downbeat, slow-burner episodes, and they seem to bore/antagonize people. By contrast, cartoonish/cornball sequences like Alexandria wiping out a Walker swarm large enough to overrun the entire town with a little spit and vinegar leave me rolling my eyes, and that episode was widely loved. I think I want different things from this show than other people.

That said, this was hardly perfect. Reedus isn't the show's strongest actor by a long shot, and they've spent too much time building Dwight up as a pantomime villain to have a go at humanizing him all in one swing like this. Sherry had to do most of the heavy lifting there.

• Speaking of humanizing, Negan's going to need some backstory/fleshing out at some point. Again, unlike most people I think JDM is doing a good job at blending menace with bonhomie, but Negan's psychopathy needle seems stuck at 11 at the moment. Yes, real life tyrants can and do rule through fear, but you need to have some calm moments mixed in with your erratic 3 spooky 5 me moments, or people are going to swiftly realize the source of all life's problems is actually you.
  • If Dwight doesn't turn traitor at this point I'll eat my hat. I'm not sure if I should castigate the show for revealing its hand so early, or applaud it for actually moving a principal plot element forward quickly. When I say I like "slow burns" that doesn't mean I always appreciate the Walking Dead's ability to spin meaningless side stories out for eons in an attempt to stretch the budget.
  • I think nihilism/despair and a storyline like Negan's are par for the course for a show/subject material like this, but I do appreciate people questioning whether or not it makes for 'fun' television. This is where Walking Dead perpetually trips over its own feet. Is it a fun zombie-smashing romp with a crew of familiar faces? Or is it a dour exploration of how a post-apocalyptic milieu can slowly rob people of their humanity? Because it tries to be both, a lot, and thus carries two audiences, each of which seem to hate about half the episodes.
  • Further on Negan...the writers are going to want to be careful straying over the line that separates sadistic from smart where Negan is concerned. Breaking people down psychologically can be *a* route to gaining a kind of loyalty from them, but his perpetual taunting/belitting of Dwight seems like the kind of behavior that inevitably earns someone a stab in the back. Negan's most powerful form of leverage is holding the threat of violence over loved ones and friends, and stripping people down until they have nothing left to lose (Dwight is getting there, and the fellow he was tracking seemed to already be there) robs him of that leverage.
  • I have absolutely no idea what was going on out in that yard with the guys in the letter shirts and the zombies. I saw it about five times in this episode and I still have no idea what I was supposed to be watching. 
Edited by BloatedGuppy
  • Love 20

This was the most boring episode ever. Even more boring than the previous boring episodes. Negan is just not doing it for me. I'm nostalgic for The Governor. I just didn't care. I didn't care if they killed Daryl, I didn't care about these newly introduced Negan people. Seemed to be borrowing from other shows, the song was like the hatch in Lost, the who are you thing like the No One training of Arya in GoT. The sandwich was the most interesting part of the episode.
Ugh, I don't even know why I watch this show anymore. It was the online chatter, but IDK if that will be enough.

• Love 3

I think nihilism/despair and a storyline like Negan's are par for the course for a show/subject material like this, but I do appreciate people questioning whether or not it makes for 'fun' television. This is where Walking Dead perpetually trips over its own feet. Is it a fun zombie-smashing romp with a crew of familiar faces? Or is it a dour exploration of how a post-apocalyptic milieu can slowly rob people of their humanity? Because it tries to be both, a lot, and thus carries two audiences, each of which seem to hate about half the episodes. 

This is a wonderful point.  I am currently writing a post-apocalyptic piece for Nanowrimo and I'm finding it hard to find a tone.  It is an interesting mental exercise but is it entertaining?  I found The Road (both book and movie) being a good argument for suicide.  There was no hope.

18 minutes ago, BloatedGuppy said:

By contrast, cartoonish/cornball sequences like Alexandria wiping out a Walker swarm large enough to overrun the entire town with a little spit and vinegar leave me rolling my eyes, and that episode was widely loved.

To be fair, what made that my favorite episode of all time is that Supercuts and her family of male A-holes all mercifully bit the dust.  She was going to make me stop watching faster than Negan.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 1

I get that Negan needs to break people to get them in line, but it makes no sense that he would have someone like Dwight as his right hand man.  Crazy cult leaders make the loyal people part of the inner circle.  Once you betray them, you may be part of the group, but no longer the inner circle.  

• Love 8