Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Cell

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I still maintain that the unfortunate-looking Dwight looks like the love child of Matthew McConaghey and Ryan Gosling.  

I kept think of McConaghey in True Detective when I looked at Dwight. The hair, and the eyes. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ugh.  A Negan backstory episode?  No thanks.

I think it would be interesting to see what kind of life this knob was freed from that he considers having his own cult where he gets all the women and men have to bow to him to be the height of ecstasy. He's like Harold Lauder in The Stand only not nearly as empathetic or interesting.

• Love 4
On 11/9/2016 at 0:41 PM, Iguessnot said:

What was the significance of 39?  I know it was the bunk number where he stole the mustard and pickles, but what made him write it so deliberately? 

Dwight saw him (bunk #39) starting a fight with someone, then getting beaten to death by Negan, so he knew it was safe to steal his stuff.

Did I miss something? Dwight parked his bike, then got into the fight with walkers. Then, in his next scene, the front rim of the bike was broken, as were some of the spokes, and the tire was flat. What the heck happened? I kept waiting for a flashback to explain it.

When Negan asked Darryl what his name was, I wanted Darryl to say "Heisenberg!"

Edited by Gobi
2 hours ago, Gobi said:

Dwight saw him (bunk #39) starting a fight with someone, then getting beaten to death by Negan, so he knew it was safe to steal his stuff.

Did I miss something? Dwight parked his bike, then got into the fight with walkers. Then, in his next scene, the front rim of the bike was broken, as were some of the spokes, and the tire was flat. What the heck happened? I kept waiting for a flashback to explain it.

When Negan asked Darryl what his name was, I wanted Darryl to say "Heisenberg!"

How did you figure that out? From the TD? I don't see how that could be inferred during the first 3 minutes that was shown. I never even connected that guy to bunk 39 until you said so. If that tall red haired dude was supposed to clue me in, it was over my head. Dwight fixed his sandwich about 10 minutes before #39 was revealed in the pen, so the connection was still lost. Considering that Daryl was given what looked like the same beatdown, the lines become even more blurred.

I'd also like to know where all those mobile walkers came from. There were a couple of long shots of Dwight & his bike and there were mostly splats in that whole area. A few closer shots showed walkers who couldn't propel themselves. However when Dwight fall down, a whole gang of crawlers emerged.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

How did you figure that out? From the TD? I don't see how that could be inferred during the first 3 minutes that was shown. I never even connected that guy to bunk 39 until you said so. If that tall red haired dude was supposed to clue me in, it was over my head. Dwight fixed his sandwich about 10 minutes before #39 was revealed in the pen, so the connection was still lost. Considering that Daryl was given what looked like the same beatdown, the lines become even more blurred.

I'd also like to know where all those mobile walkers came from. There were a couple of long shots of Dwight & his bike and there were mostly splats in that whole area. A few closer shots showed walkers who couldn't propel themselves. However when Dwight fall down, a whole gang of crawlers emerged.

Dwight was staring at the beat down guy and wrote 39 down. Then you see him getting the mustard jar and jar of pickles from 39's bag. The sandwich montage  I think, showed how he got the ingredients for more  than one sandwich.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Gobi said:

Dwight was staring at the beat down guy and wrote 39 down. Then you see him getting the mustard jar and jar of pickles from 39's bag. The sandwich montage  I think, showed how he got the ingredients for more  than one sandwich.

Since the montage showed Dwight bullying several people (bread line, lettuce and the eggs), I took his grabbing of the pickles and mustard as more of the same. 

Do you happen to know why Dwight stared at the walker sliding up and down the pole? I still haven't figured that one out.

7 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Since the montage showed Dwight bullying several people (bread line, lettuce and the eggs), I took his grabbing of the pickles and mustard as more of the same. 

Do you happen to know why Dwight stared at the walker sliding up and down the pole? I still haven't figured that one out.

I didn't understand anything about the walkers at Negan's place.

15 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Finally got around to watching this episode last night (clearly this show is no longer priority viewing), and I took that moment to mean that Dwight was seeing himself in the walker's situation. The stance the walker took on the ground was very similar to the one Dwight takes when he kneels to Negan. To me, it seemed liked he finally recognized that he is no more alive than the walkers so long as he is forced to serve Negan.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, LeafontheWind said:

Finally got around to watching this episode last night (clearly this show is no longer priority viewing), and I took that moment to mean that Dwight was seeing himself in the walker's situation. The stance the walker took on the ground was very similar to the one Dwight takes when he kneels to Negan. To me, it seemed liked he finally recognized that he is no more alive than the walkers so long as he is forced to serve Negan.

That's the first thing about that scene that makes any sense.

• Love 2

I can't stand the trope of playing silly music over the opening scene of a show. 

A sentence that's not hammy or gloating here and there would do.

It's not the actor, who is great, but the same delivery and smarmy smile ad nauseam doesn't make for compelling tv. Taking aside the fact that he's a character seemingly created by a 12 y/o boy with a concussion, I can see how this might work in a comic. However, he just doesn't translate well to the screen. There's just nothing more that a cutout character. 

I'm having a hard time seeing how people couldn't leave undetected. I mean, ok, it's the middle of the day and someone sees you leave. But not everyone can see everyone all the time. Having such a steady high number of people there seems odd.  

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LeafontheWind said:

Yea, I see it as Dwight not being as confident in his choice as he lets on to others. After he and Sherry ran away and were re-captured, he could have ended up a walker. Or someone who works for points. Or a henchmen. He's now a henchmen and he tells himself it was the best thing to do, for Sherry's sake. He tries to convince Daryl and that other guy that it's the best way. But I don't think he's entirely convinced of it himself.

• Love 1

After the very lengthy buildup to the Negan debut, based on the comic's fanbase, I was pretty underwhelmed.  Not by Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whom I like, but by the endless s-l-o-w monologues he's been handed to perform.  Haven't all of us in real life been bored to death waiting for some people to Get To The Point?  On TV there's a difference between suspense and needlessly filling airtime.

We get it. Negan is B-A-D.  We had this telegraphed toi us before we ever laid eyes on him. But he could have talked Abraham and Glenn to death and saved having to wipe all that goop off of Lucille.

• Love 3

I find this type of episode - showcasing only one or two mains - very hit or miss.  I didn't care for the Governor-centric episodes, HATED the Beth-centric ones, adored the Carol one (particularly The Grove), and really disliked the Daryl/Beth ones.  After the prison fell, I noticed that NR just can't elevate a fellow actor's performance, at least IMO.  And that's the reason he's always been best with Merle, Rick, and Carol.  They are superior actors.  I think the Dwight actor far outperformed NR, and exuded the pain and torment I'm guessing we were supposed to feel from Daryl.  That doesn't mean I like Dwight, but I'm preferring the actor.

Daryl was in my top three (with Rick, Carol) until the prison fell.  I really think it was the reek of Beth.  But keeping him from his best scene partners is not helping.  Roaring off on his stupid motorcycle to mourn someone he barely knew, never even knowing Carol was having a total crisis.  Then being the reason that G, R, and M, were caught is hard to forget.  Followed by triggering Glenn's death by trying to be a hero (to keep a girl from crying, barf).  I was hoping this episode would soften me again.  My cousin told me it's the first episode that ever made her cry.  It just didn't work for me.  And I didn't even watch it until Saturday night.  I've never waited that long to watch, and only watched it so I could watch tonight's.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, allyw said:

I've always found Merle to be the most interesting of the two as well even though I never actually liked the character.

That's because MR is an excellent actor.   He tugged at my heart strings even though I thought he was a racist POS, and he gave his life to increase his baby brother's chances of survival.  I thought he was a very compelling character.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LeafontheWind said:

In that case, I have to say the actor misplayed the scene. Didn't see his self awareness or recognition in that look he gave.

• Love 2

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for "The Cell":

“The Walking Dead” remains atop the cable ratings for Oct. 31-Nov. 6 after three days of DVR and on-demand viewing.

"The Walking Dead," meanwhile, also put up its biggest three-day gain of its three episodes this season, adding 2.4 points to its 18-49 rating (5.7 to 8.4) and just over 4.5 million viewers. [16.225 million]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-oct-31-nov-6-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day ratings & the Live +3 ratings for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million

I thought this was a good episode.  I didn't find it boring either.  I don't need action every millisecond to make the episode awesome.  It was important, imo, to see what day-to-day life was like in Negan's world rather than just having him pop up to make a threat.  This episode, imo, was to show how prisoners are taken and broken into becoming Negan's henchmen.  Sometimes it's done through threatening family members, as in the case of Dwight, or sometimes through torture, as with Daryl - although it didn't work.  Negan and Dwight's mistake with Daryl is they don't know that he had a very abusive childhood.  So beating him or threatening him or making him eat dog food (he's probably eaten a dog) is not going to break him.  Losing Glenn?  That would do it, but it also made Daryl stronger.  It's why Daryl would not say Negan's name at the end.  To bow down to Negan would be to betray everything Glenn stood for and to dishonor his life.  It's why Daryl won't break.  I loved watching that smug smile on Negan's face disappear when Daryl said his own name.  I thought NR did a great job in the episode considering he had to convey Daryl's thoughts and feelings with barely any dialogue.  The Negan smugness, especially against Rick is becoming unbearable.  I can't wait for Rick to kick his ass.

The other storyline in this episode that was good and relevant was Dwight and Sherry.  These are not evil people.  They have been abused too by Negan by forcing them to do things they don't want to do.  Dwight, Tina, and Sherry tried to escape, but they couldn't get away.  Tina died, Sherry sold herself to Negan to save her husband, and Dwight got a hot iron to the face.  Now they are just trying to survive in Negan's world, although I think Dwight and Sherry would take a way out if they were given one.  That being said, I can't see Dwight ever being part of Rick's group considering he was a part of Glenn and Abraham's executions.  

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Bishop said:

The other storyline in this episode that was good and relevant was Dwight and Sherry.  These are not evil people.  

I'm not so sure about this.  Dwight seems to be enjoying the hell out of being a bullying asshole; a little too much for me to buy that he only does what he does out of fear.

Edited by ByTor
added punctuation
  • Love 3

I haven't read any of the comics, so I don't know from Negan, but the way JDM is playing him needs some explainin'.

At this point, I cannot buy him as an evil but charming cult leader who inspires some loyalty because, while clearly scared of him, they all seem to mostly hate him. So the big smiles, and the cute remarks, and his odd manner of speaking comes across as annoying blow hardism.

At this point, I cannot for one second understand why a bunch of people who clearly hate this guy can't organize themselves to kill him. And more, why that action wasn't organized two years ago.  So, I hope we get to see some people who really are brainwashed by him because so far all I have seen is a lot of defeat, and it's not making much sense to me because so many of the defeated are armed, and he is only one man, and you'd think at least a couple of people could pick up on a few non verbal cues.  He needs an intensely devoted and very loyal group of people behind him -- I can't even say waiting in the wings to assume power because, with their weapons, anyone who wanted to could have staged a coup earlier.  No, for this to make sense to me, there must be some reason, other than straight fear, that people go along with this.  I hope that will be revealed soon.

• Love 1
On 11/17/2016 at 9:36 AM, ByTor said:

I'm not so sure about this.  Dwight seems to be enjoying the hell out of being a bullying asshole; a little too much for me to buy that he only does what he does out of fear.

Yeah, but imo, Dwight can be swayed.  I think if he had an opportunity to get out and even help overthrow Negan, he would take it.  Yes, he's an ass, but he wasn't always that way, and I get the impression, he wants to be seen as the ass in front of Negan and his men.  When he's alone or one-on-one with someone (like Daryl or Sherry), he shows a different side.  I think he doesn't want to give the impression to anyone that he can be swayed for fear it might get back to Negan.  Sherry is clearly conflicted and is being forced to submit to protect herself and Dwight.  So based on this, I don't see them as evil.  

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 2

The final set of ratings is in for "The Cell":

The cable Live +7 rankings for Oct. 31-Nov. 6 hold little surprise: Once again, “The Walking Dead” and “American Horror Story: Roanoke” stand well above the rest of the pack.

“The Walking Dead” grew by 2.9 points in adults 18-49 (5.7 to 8.6), equaling its gain from the previous week. It also added nearly 5.5 million viewers. [17.208 million]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-oct-31-nov-6-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day, the Live +3, and the Live +7 for Season 7 so far:

10-23-16 “The Day Will Come When You Won’t Be” 17.029 million; 20.793 million; 21.528 million
10-30-16 “The Well” 12.455 million; 16.849 million; 17.947 million
11-06-16 “The Cell” 11.721 million; 16.225 million; 17.208 million

• Love 1
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

OK, ya made me click on a link.  Now my device is infected with an earworm virus,  Or maybe it's just me.  Either way, I don't know whether to Hate you or Love you.  ;-)

It's actually a catchy little ditty - for a minute or two

• Love 2
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

OK, ya made me click on a link.  Now my device is infected with an earworm virus,  Or maybe it's just me.  Either way, I don't know whether to Hate you or Love you.  ;-)

Love, naturally. ❤️ 

My work here is done.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Love, naturally. ❤️ 

My work here is done.

Love, Actually.

Back when Rick wore a tragic neck zipper sweater, but held a boom box & some cue cards that made me fall in love with him forever ...

• Love 1

Marathoning in preparation for S8. I love the exuberant evil of Negan, and I don't even mind his long-winded monologues. But it only took the first exposure to a Negan scene to make me all the way over two of JDM's recurrent mannerisms: the patented lean-back, and the habitual lip-licking. Enough of that, already.