Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: All Signs Point to Josh... Or Is It Josh's Friend?

Rebecca finds herself torn between two men. As the sign she is looking for is seemingly in front of her, she knows she's meant to choose Josh - or is it Greg? Paula finds herself also struggling with a big decision.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo

And what better way to explain love triangles than with an absolutely perfect Smash homage?

I wasn't sure as first but as soon as she sang "Tom or Dick" I didn't know how else I could take it because I'm pretty sure that was a lyric or song from Smash.  Am I stretching?  I do not think so. Too bad my mothter has retired from teaching because this could be a fun thing to introduce.

13% Karen Cartwright?  Pfft.  #TeamIvy

He's very sweet saying goodbye to Josh.

White Josh was saying goodbye to Greg. Which I'm sure you know but mistyped.   Speaking of White Josh, there was not enough of him in tonight's episode but I just adore this character. On a show where everyone is messed up and has their issues, it's refreshing to have a character like White Josh who just has it together.  He's hot, confident, wise, a supportive friend.  I have such a TV crush.  I love him with Darryl but in this ep I was kind of wondering why White Josh chose him. 

I think it's interesting how Greg and Paula's lives are paralleling right now with both getting educational opportunities they've longed for and yet both have had hesitancy and obstacles to taking them.  I'm curious as to what they're going to do with Paula's pregnancy.  Are they going to do the story of a married woman, who loves her husband yet doesn't want more kids, choosing to have an abortion?

Rebecca's therapist was right.  She probably has more to figure out before she enters into a relationship.  Same for Greg and trying to get control of his sobriety.  But man, that flirting on the bridge was just so sparkly. 

• Love 1

Are they going to do the story of a married woman, who loves her husband yet doesn't want more kids, choosing to have an abortion?

I would like the show to at least recognize the option regardless of the final decision. I do think it would be the best choice for Paula to have one based on what we know right now, however what really annoys me about shows is when the option isn't even mentioned.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Are they going to do the story of a married woman, who loves her husband yet doesn't want more kids, choosing to have an abortion?

I hope so. And it's possible; Jane the Virgin did an abortion story recently, and that's another CW show.

All the songs this season have been looking badly dubbed. I didn't notice this as a problem in season 1. Is it worse, or was it always this bad and I'm only now noticing it?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I wasn't sure as first but as soon as she sang "Tom or Dick" I didn't know how else I could take it because I'm pretty sure that was a lyric or song from Smash.  Am I stretching?  I do not think so. Too bad my mothter has retired from teaching because this could be a fun thing to introduce.

I'm pretty sure Tom or Dick was in reference to "Tom, Dick or Harry", which is used as a common placeholder name for multiple men.

Paula was right, her dreams really do poop on her face like a seagul at the beach.

10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I hope so. And it's possible; Jane the Virgin did an abortion story recently, and that's another CW show.

Yep.  But Jane's mom isn't married and got pregnant by someone she didn't care to have any kind of relationship with.  It's still unusual but I think it's more unusual to show a married woman in a happy relationship choosing not to have a child.  It happens in real life more than it happens on TV.

2 minutes ago, quangtran said:

I'm pretty sure Tom or Dick was in reference to "Tom, Dick or Harry", which is used as a common placeholder name for multiple men.

Oh it is and that's why it appeared in the Smash song too. 

17 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

Errr, is Santino Fontana really leaving the show? ?

She was in the opening credits but did she say she was leaving elsewhere?

Also is Esther Povitsky a regular now? She was in the credits as well. 

That was awesome, but I'm seriously worried about Greg's future on the show. I mean, he already was sidelined in the middle of last season, so it would make sense if he were to drop out altogether, but Greg is one of the strongest character of the show and I would lose a lot of my enthusiasm for CEG if it happened.

Loved everything about the episode otherwise, although it's weird Paula didn't even think about abortion and nobody mentioned it to her. Hope she won't have to give up on her dreams because of the baby.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wasn't sure as first but as soon as she sang "Tom or Dick" I didn't know how else I could take it because I'm pretty sure that was a lyric or song from Smash.  Am I stretching?  I do not think so.

I think you're stretching? It was a riff on "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" specifically from the movie version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. So, in the sense that Smash was about a musical about Marilyn, of course it was reminiscent, because this was a take on a song from a musical that Marilyn was in. "Tom, Dick or Harry" is also a song from Kiss Me Kate so it's not as though it isn't a phrase common to more than one song. They made no bones about the song on the show being puntastic, so any opportunity to use "dick" in a lyric seems obvious. I'll give ya it may have been an "if it also reminds you of Smash, sure great" sitch, but I doubt the starting point was about doing a takeoff of Smash

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wasn't sure as first but as soon as she sang "Tom or Dick" I didn't know how else I could take it because I'm pretty sure that was a lyric or song from Smash. 

The number being spoofed is Marilyn Monroe's classic performance of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which has itself been parodied many times. (The song proper starts at 2:00.) Rachel Bloom has repeatedly mentioned Monroe as a reference point for her song.

6 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

Errr, is Santino Fontana really leaving the show? ?

We've all seen TV before, right? It'll be interesting to see if Greg is actually not seen for a few weeks, or returns, or we have scenes of him at Emory, or how they handle this development.

1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

it's weird Paula didn't even think about abortion and nobody mentioned it to her. 

Give her a second. Her pregnancy was confirmed only in the last shot of the episode. The discussion hasn't even begun yet. When it does, the fact that she and Scott seem to be Catholic (they went to Father Brah for counseling) will likely be a factor, though maybe not a conclusive one. We'll see. But the show has repeatedly shown that it's not afraid to lead us to the brink of a familiar TV situation and then explode it and do something different (as far back as the pilot, where Paula seemed poised to be a rival but instead became a best friend; or the love-triangle business in this newest episode, which is instantly a thing of the past).

• Love 8

I have never before seen someone be so freaked out about being a day late that they'd even consider the notion they might be pregnant, even people who are usually like clockwork. Although I get the point was that Rebecca was being insane about it, and I appreciated the heavier notes in this one that she was openly, blatantly being very very unhealthy. So Paula probably wouldn't have even wondered had Rebecca not started down that road. It was still surprisingly early to me for her to consider checking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

The number being spoofed is Marilyn Monroe's classic performance of "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" from the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which has itself been parodied many times. (The song proper starts at 2:00.) Rachel Bloom has repeatedly mentioned Monroe as a reference point for her song.

For me, the most iconic of the remakes/parodies was Material Girl by Madonna. Hilariously at the very beginning of the video, one of the guys mentions changing the set to blue!

The episodes keep getting better and better. I really do think the 1hr long format really does help the show develop and unfold all the craziness involved. But I really hate the Friday time slot though. Does anyone know how it's doing in ratings right now?

(edited)

I know Darryl can come off as a little too enthusiastic or desperate, but I love that he wanted to make Paula's dream come true. That was very sweet (and possibly inappropriate, but still sweet).

I wish Rebecca would listen to her therapist even just a little bit. She gets so manic that it makes my head spin. She went from convinced she was pregnant and therefore meant to be with Josh to asking Greg if they could start over all in the space of a day. Like seriously, CALM DOWN, GIRL.

What really bothered me about what she said to Greg was that she suggested they forget all the bad stuff that had happened. That made me feel like she is still being unrealistic. You can't just erase the mistakes that you made and pretend that they never happened.

On a shallow note, A+ for the costume people this week. There were so many dresses I loved, from the fuchsia one that the polyamory lady was wearing at the beginning to Rebecca's flutter sleeve patterned dress.

Loved seeing Rebecca's therapist again. Hope she gets that kayak!

6 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

IMDB shows Santino Fontana being in all the episodes, but I'm not sure that really means much.

Nope, that doesn't mean anything since anyone can submit info to IMDB. And even if SF appears in the credits for every episode, that doesn't mean he will actually be in the episode. Being in the opening credits is just part of whatever your agent negotiated in your contract. It's pretty standard that if you are a series regular, your name will appear in the opening credits for every episode regardless of whether you appear in the episode.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

I know Darryl can come off as a little too enthusiastic or desperate, but I love that he wanted to make Paula's dream come true. That was very sweet (and possibly inappropriate, but still sweet).

I love Darryl - both as a character and as a nice parallel to Rebecca and Paula's relationship.  Paula always comes through for Rebecca, even though Rebecca mostly takes her for granted.  Darryl does the same for Paula and she completely takes him for granted.

Though I think I died laughing when he bought her the Nine West pumps.  And especially because we caught a glimpse of the Millennial assistant who's always clueless and terrified - I want her to get a song, even if just a snippet of something.

• Love 8

ElectricBoogaloo, thanks for posting that Madonna video. That's the one I immediately thought of when I saw Rebecca's number. That Madonna video sure brought back memories--I haven't seen it in years.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder when I heard Rebecca start singing Period Sex. I had to go back and watch it again I thought it was so hilarious, wish it had been a whole song!

I'm pretty disappointed about Paula's pregnancy--I mean, do we really have to have this show be like every other TV show in history? Then again, as someone mentioned, the show is always surprising us, so hopefully it will lead us somewhere we don't usually see on TV. I'm fine with her getting an abortion, since it happens a lot in real life too, and yeah, I was a little surprised it wasn't mentioned as a possibility.

Greg better not be going anywhere. I thought the season 2 premiere suffered since he was in it so little. I know he's got issues but I really enjoy his scenes and especially his songs. But I think his character is being smart by not letting himself be dragged back into Rebecca's drama. Neither of them should be in a relationship with anyone right now, let alone each other. (Even though I kind of ship them against my better judgment.) I'm glad Josh finally decided he was out, and wow, Rebecca sure seemed to get over him quickly. Or did she?

Edited by vertiegogh
grammar
  • Love 4

Rachel has "guaranteed" in a tweet last night that this is not the last we've heard of "Period Sex."

One contributory factor to the Greg storyline is that Santino Fontana seems to be currently shooting a movie (he tweeted a photo of himself with co-actors a couple of weeks ago), at least one of whose locations is in NYC. Of course the series is in "first position" as they say in show biz, but I can imagine that between seasons told the CXG people about this opportunity -- which would be his first starring role on the big screen, a huge step in an actor's career -- and they found that it would fit with their plans for Greg. That last part is just speculation of course; we'll see. But if he's written "light" in a few episodes, that could be why. 

• Love 2

I love this show! It cannot be canceled, and I love that Rebecca is so maniac, but I wonder how they will keep everyone on the show since Josh and Rebecca broke up and Greg is in Atlanta.. I can't say enough I love this show!

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

All the songs this season have been looking badly dubbed. I didn't notice this as a problem in season 1. Is it worse, or was it always this bad and I'm only now noticing it?

I've been noticing this, too. I wonder if it's because they're changing the tone of the songs, e.g., RB sings more like how Marilyn Monroe would sing rather than Rebecca in the Man Geometry number. Or we're using to hearing Paula belt, so when DLC sings in her more natural fashion, it sounds odd.

Or it might just be bad sound mixing.

Spoiler

I remember that spoiler about Rebecca's new love interest played (IIRC) by Scott Michael Foster, and that's what's making me think Greg is going to either leave the show for good (NOOO) or just for half a season (again, no, but not as bad).

24 minutes ago, marny said:

I really wish I felt like Rebecca and Josh had more chemistry, but they don't.  

They really don't, which makes sense. The show insists (wisely) that Rebecca shouldn't be in a relationship at all for quite a while, but at least her and Greg were often played somewhat sympathetically - their scenes felt earnest and touching in the way that Josh/Rebecca never did. I have no idea if Greg and Rebecca could ever end up together, but I can't imagine Josh and Rebecca actually being endgame.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Rachel has "guaranteed" in a tweet last night that this is not the last we've heard of "Period Sex."

One contributory factor to the Greg storyline is that Santino Fontana seems to be currently shooting a movie (he tweeted a photo of himself with co-actors a couple of weeks ago), at least one of whose locations is in NYC. Of course the series is in "first position" as they say in show biz, but I can imagine that between seasons told the CXG people about this opportunity -- which would be his first starring role on the big screen, a huge step in an actor's career -- and they found that it would fit with their plans for Greg. That last part is just speculation of course; we'll see. But if he's written "light" in a few episodes, that could be why. 

I don't mind a few episodes being " light" on Greg. I just worry about him being gone for good. That airport scene felt so final.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marny said:

I really wish I felt like Rebecca and Josh had more chemistry, but they don't.  

I think it's intentional. This season they haven't been in tune at all which makes me dislike Josh even though deep down I know Rebecca is the one being obsessive, manipulative and delusional. Despite that I can't help but love her. There were some really great moments between them though last season, like when they went to camp and the other time she helped him get that new job. They have really great chemistry as friends but when they cross that line, it all goes to shit.

• Love 7

I really hope Greg is only partially gone, and we can still get Greg at Emory adventures. I ship Greg/Rebecca, but not right now. They both have TONS of personal issues, and they need to sort those put before they can get together. Greg has actually become more self aware, and I am really happy he is actually moving on and not just getting stuck in more relationship drama (Rebecca would totally run back to Josh is he decided he wanted her again, at least right now). I want them together, but not for awhile. 

1 hour ago, FurryFury said:

I have no idea if Greg and Rebecca could ever end up together, but I can't imagine Josh and Rebecca actually being endgame.

Totally agree. I think its likely that Greg/Rebecca will be endgame, but not certainly, but no way are Josh/Rebecca endgame. I think they could end up being friends, but not a couple. Rebecca just sees Josh as a romanticized version of a perfect life, and we saw Josh do the same thing last season when he was unhappy with Valencia. They just dont work, and I think their lack of chemistry speaks to that. 

Poor Paula. I am not thrilled with a pregnancy storyline, but I do wonder where they'll go with it. Its fully possible she`ll have an abortion, I dont think the show will be afraid to go there, and the CW certainly isn't (they just had a main character get an abortion pretty nonchalantly on Jane the Virgin), but I think its possible they wont. I think Paula and her husband are Catholic (they saw Father Brah for marriage counseling), so that could lead to some conflict. Or maybe it wont, who knows. I have enough confidence in this show that they will keep this interesting.

I still love seeing Rebecca's therapist again, and her kayak dreams! I really do hope Rebecca gets closer to self actualization soon, at least a bit. Her big issue seems to be she sees her whole life as a romantic comedy, when its clearly not.   

• Love 2

I'm torn. 

I want Santino Fontana on the show, but I want Greg to go to Emory and get an MBA and flee West Covina (that he so desperately wants to escape) and make new friends and have a great career. Not sure if an MBA is a great career move (his previous job experience is barista, and many want more experience, he doesn't seem to know what he wants to do in life) but getting away from Rebecca's manic whirlpool of doom is vital.

As for Paula, law school, a baby and work isn't a wise idea.

WhiJo is awesome.  

Edited by dungeonwriter
few thoughts
  • Love 4

I did like the new song last week but I think a problem for the season is that the old song summed up what the premise of the show was. Whereas I think this song might not age as well if the plot goes in different directions.

I'm a little eh on the polyamory thing that got us into the episode but I loved the Marilyn/Gentlemen Prefer Blondes/Diamond's Are a Girl's Best Friend number. I think it's another one of those songs that's more plot driven that stand alone but other than that, it was really enjoyable. It looked great. The song itself was really clever. I thought Rachel did a great job (actually probably better than both ladies from Smash) keeping up her Marilyn voice (though it didn't sound exactly like her, she was consistent with it) and that was a great high note at the end. There were lots of subtle things too, like the fact that her dance ensemble turned against her but that makes sense given her poor self-image. I thought it was similar to "Heavy Boobs" pairing sexuality with media critique and some actual facts (though I don't think anything went past middle school math). 

Haha. I love that Darrell is calling him "WhiJo." He doesn't seem to spend that much time with that friend group. There would be no confusion. Why not just call him Josh?

Santino (Greg) continues to be great but I feel like he gets to be "bigger" whereas Donna Lynne (Paula) is just such a solid anchor as an actor. Like, that is what a competent professional is like. 

I could have sworn I heard strains of "You Ruined Everything" when Josh was leaving Rebecca.

Poor Darrell. He might as well be a broom sometimes. It's funny but I hope he does get a song and a moment where he stands up for himself.

I was fairly sure Paula had menopause. I didn't know why she jumped to thinking she was pregnant. I mean, yes, you can have a baby in your mid-40's but early menopause seems a lot more likely. But I guess they want to go with pregnancy for the complication.

Cute banter followed my rom com kiss!?! Also, I wonder if they do anything to make Santino look taller because if not, Rachel must be very short. And it even works on another level because of course Rebecca starts to twist it into the narrative of an actual rom com. And then they did the "meet here at a specific time" and he didn't show up. And an airport chase too? So good.

I hope Noelle gets her kayak and we revisit that joke. 

I wish they hadn't ended so abruptly. That was rough. The next episode feels very far away.

I'm pretty disappointed about Paula's pregnancy--I mean, do we really have to have this show be like every other TV show in history? Then again, as someone mentioned, the show is always surprising us, so hopefully it will lead us somewhere we don't usually see on TV. I'm fine with her getting an abortion, since it happens a lot in real life too, and yeah, I was a little surprised it wasn't mentioned as a possibility.

I agree with Rinaldo that we need to give them time to lay things out next week. Though all that wine probably wasn't a great decision. I have watched a lot of TV so I know all the ways this could play out... keep the baby, miscarriage, abortion, etc. It would be interesting to see a show portray an early stage abortion as a serious, informed decision but also a simple (if still possibly painful and emotionally affecting) procedure. It's not like just taking Plan B but it's also not the horror show that anti-choice supporters make out all abortions to be.

I think it's intentional. This season they haven't been in tune at all which makes me dislike Josh even though deep down I know Rebecca is the one being obsessive, manipulative and delusional. Despite that I can't help but love her. There were some really great moments between them though last season, like when they went to camp and the other time she helped him get that new job. They have really great chemistry as friends but when they cross that line, it all goes to shit.

I agree with a lot of this. They did have good moments last season. But I also feel like maybe spending too much time together exposes their lack of chemistry as actors/Vincent's weaknesses as an actor.

I'd hate for Paula to give up her dreams for another child, especially since she does not appear very taken with her actual children.

That reminds me. Can we backtrack? Who is on parole?

Yeah-- the parole thing confused me, too. Her kids seem very young, and we haven't seen them do anything illegal, so...what?

RE Josh/Rebecca chemistry, to be honest, I didn't see any chemistry between Josh and Valencia, either.

Very excited that the show is going to bring up period sex again. What won't they talk about? I am starting to really respect The CW.

50 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I did like the new song last week but I think a problem for the season is that the old song summed up what the premise of the show was. Whereas I think this song might not age as well if the plot goes in different directions.

And an airport chase too? So good.

Do we have reason to believe this song is for good this season? I'm half expecting it to change again next week.

Also, they totally had me going for a minute when Rebecca fell asleep with the wine, woke up, and then drove to the airport. I was expecting her to then get a "still drunk from the night before" DUI to mirror Greg's. I mean, I guess... I didn't really think it. It doesn't quite fit the writing style, but they did make me wonder for about 10 seconds.

8 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Yeah-- the parole thing confused me, too. Her kids seem very young, and we haven't seen them do anything illegal, so...what?

For some reason I was under the impression their oldest was 14. I can't remember now if they said that at some point or if he were on screen and that's just how old I thought he looked...I think Paula has implied before he has behavioural issues, although it was easy enough before that comment to interpret as common, casual, refer to one's own children as monsters without really meaning anything remotely serious type stuff.

As for Paula, law school, a baby and work isn't a wise idea.

Actually... I kind of wonder if this wouldn't be pretty great (for the show, not necessarily for Paula).  Maybe she'll have a girl (which is what she always wanted) and it would throw Rebecca's life into even MORE chaos and probably hit on all her issues with HER mother and the quasi-maternal relationship between Rebecca and Paula.  At the same time, Rebecca could really be in a position to help Paula with law school.

A baby and law school wouldn't be my choice, but I know people that did it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I don't mind a few episodes being " light" on Greg. I just worry about him being gone for good. That airport scene felt so final.

In some respects.  But then it ended on a cliffhanger.  It literally ended mid-scene essentially. So I feel there is some follow up coming.  I think we would have heard if Santino were gone or recurring this season so I suspesct something will keep him here.  Or he'll be at Emory and feel not ready.

3 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

On the topic of Greg/Rebecca, I wonder if the show sort of hinting that they might work out in the future would be the best ending for them.

I think this would work for some relationships but with Rebecca, I think we need to see her be healthy emotionally and show her coping in ways that aren't fantasy.  And I think we need to see her sustain that for a while since we have seen her sort of get there before regressing.  I don't think Rebecca realizing her issues and then turning to Greg (or whoever her love interest may be) and hint that they lived happily ever after would feel complete.  If they did that, I think it'd feel more like they'd eventually fall back into old patterns.  In order to give us the sense that things work out, they're going to show us what that will look like. 

13 minutes ago, Eeksquire said:

A baby and law school wouldn't be my choice, but I know people that did it.

Absolutely.  I know of people who were pregnant during medical internships, had the baby and were back to work almost immediately after.  It's not ideal but people manage if that's what they wish to do.  With Paula, I think both options would be believable.  And some good ideas about how it'd challenge Rebecca if Paula weren't as available as she is now. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think this would work for some relationships but with Rebecca, I think we need to see her be healthy emotionally and show her coping in ways that aren't fantasy.  And I think we need to see her sustain that for a while since we have seen her sort of get there before regressing.  I don't think Rebecca realizing her issues and then turning to Greg (or whoever her love interest may be) and hint that they lived happily ever after would feel complete.  If they did that, I think it'd feel more like they'd eventually fall back into old patterns.  In order to give us the sense that things work out, they're going to show us what that will look like. 

Absolutely.  I know of people who were pregnant during medical internships, had the baby and were back to work almost immediately after.  It's not ideal but people manage if that's what they wish to do.  With Paula, I think both options would be believable.  

I get what you're saying, but would there even be time for all that relationship development? Rebecca is so messed up, and I get the feeling like she won't be ready for a real relationship until the end of the show.

One thing I like about this show is that it always takes the harder route. It's hard to predict what's going to happen because they always take the path of MOST resistance. I loved how Rachel basically spelled out the thoughts of a lot of fans (Josh being the perfect guy she moved here for only to fall in love with the guy she didn't expect because he was so grouchy and they shouldn't be together, etc.)

I totally thought that Greg/Rebecca moment on the bridge was her imagination.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, niklj said:

I loved how Rachel basically spelled out the thoughts of a lot of fans (Josh being the perfect guy she moved here for only to fall in love with the guy she didn't expect because he was so grouchy and they shouldn't be together, etc.)

I also laughed because it was really similar to the actual plot of that show with Rachel Bilson a few years ago... Hart of Dixie, I think? Well, that hotshot New Yorker didn't move to a backwater town for a guy, but other than that, it fits 100%. Her eventual LI was even a bartender, IIRC, and her first LI - a dude with with a high school sweetheart who moved back home after spending a few years in New York.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Rebecca/Josh imploded, just like she and Greg did on their first try.  I have what looks to be the UO that either guy COULD eventually be a good fit with Rebecca (I like how she and Greg call one another out and challenge each other to be better, and I like how she and Josh build each other up and believe in one another,) but that neither is a good fit for her RIGHT NOW, nor is she with either of them (she and Josh would need to learn how to see each other as they really are and be okay with that, and she and Greg would have to learn not to hurt one another with their respective defense mechanisms.)  But she's definitely not going to make it work with either if she keeps careening between them at breakneck speed.  It's to the show's credit that, even though I like all three characters involved, every major kiss has had me shouting, "Nooooo!"  Here, with Rebecca/Greg, it was obviously a bad idea for him to rush back into a relationship (especially one like this!) when he's still so early in his recovery, and it was a bad idea for her to want to start something immediately after Josh broke up with her.  For pity's sake, women, take a second to BREATHE!

By the way, Darryl and White Josh are totally immune to the "big kiss = bad idea" thing - love them.  Hope we get some actual focus on them soon rather than just holding them up as a contrast to Rebecca and her relationship, although it's totally adorable that Darryl calls him WhiJo (and I loved Rebecca and Greg's brief shipper talk about them.)

The Paula pregnancy storyline worries me.  It's this show, so I'm waiting to see what they do with it.  I agree that they might go the abortion route, which would be reflective of reality but something we don't often see on TV with this particular situation (happily-married couple that have had children before.)  Whatever way they go, I REALLY hope Paula still feels able to go to law school - my heart just broke for her when she started crying during Darryl's surprise.

I laughed SO HARD at Rebecca's line about how their synced cycles were like "our own little blood coven" - and then cackled like a witch until she'd chased all the guys out of the break room!  Only on this show, I swear.

The Marilyn song was great.  The infantalization-fantasy jokes were spot-on, and I loved all the triangle puns.  I think my favorites were Rebecca wondering which guy was more "acute" in the scalene triangle and the line about being hanged with a "hypote-noose."

Edited by angora
grammar, boo
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, angora said:

I laughed SO HARD at Rebecca's line about how their synced cycles were like "our own little blood coven" - and then cackled like a witch until she'd chased all the guys out of the break room!  Only on this show, I swear.

That cracked me up too. Probably a non scripted thing.

Season 2 finale... Becca gives up her job and moves to Georgia to be with Greg. And the best part, the title doesn't have to change. 

I am torn on Paula getting into law school. From my point of view law school and being a lawyer kind of sucks so I want her to realize that having a baby is so much better. Being a paralegal in a law firm with a boss that adores her and a pretty cool husband is really nothing to sneeze at. I find it odd that Rebecca doesn't sit her down and suggest this. Her career in a New York law firm lead to her taking several medications and almost losing her mind. I suppose she doesn't want to destroy Paula's dream but if it were me I would try to talk her out of it.

Another great episode. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Also, they totally had me going for a minute when Rebecca fell asleep with the wine, woke up, and then drove to the airport. I was expecting her to then get a "still drunk from the night before" DUI to mirror Greg's. I mean, I guess... I didn't really think it. It doesn't quite fit the writing style, but they did make me wonder for about 10 seconds.

I thought it was going to be a fakeout and the snapchat invite had been Paula telling her news and that's where she was headed. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't actually, though I'm sure it's setting up good drama with the Greg confrontation.

I feel so bad for Paula. I'm sure an abortion discussion will happen, though not sure if that will be end result. It would be kind of amazing if they showed an open, honest discussion between Paula and Scott, and he actually didn't want any more kids either (have we ever seen a father Nope out on one of these storylines?). A miscarriage would be really cliched, but if it saves her law school goal, I don't mind. 

We need a Darryl song really soon. He was super sweet (if a bit creepy with the shoes--that was a callback to S1 right? I remember something about him and women's shoes...). 

I loved the Marilyn-inspired number (also made me think of Madonna's Material Girl but I've never seen the original--and Rachel is a huge Smash fan--she dressed up as Debra Messing's character for Halloween).

Period sex seems to be the new thing to talk about on TV---Younger just did a whole storyline about it.

• Love 1

From my point of view law school and being a lawyer kind of sucks so I want her to realize that having a baby is so much better. 

But she already has two children and as she pointed out, aside from law school, they really can't afford it. That's a lot of time and energy and money to commit, especially when you've already almost finished raising two kids. I agree with @taragel that it would be interesting to see an open, honest discussion with Paula and Scott. I can see him being resistant at first (maybe because of religion) but coming around (because of practical reasons and also because he knows it isn't the choice Paula wants to make right now). What they've been doing with the character is sweet but he's getting Perfect Boyfriend Syndrome. Also, question. Do we know what he does for a living? 

• Love 4

He was super sweet (if a bit creepy with the shoes--that was a callback to S1 right? I remember something about him and women's shoes...). 

No, in the beginning of the episode Paula mentioned how she always wanted to be like Melanie Griffith in Working Girl wearing Nine West pumps

• Love 1

The "middle age surprise pregnancy" is probably my least favorite TV trope of all time -- even worse than love triangle. Paula couldn't have a rekindled relationship with her husband without this story rearing its head? When Rebecca threw up, I knew where this was going. But I feel like the last thing this show needs is a baby, so I'm hopeful that, as Cristina Yang once put it years ago, "we will be exercising our right to choose."

What's the matter, show? No good material to be mined out of an older woman going back to school? Had to do the cliched "oopsie baby" scenario instead? Or in addition to?

At least I hope this will lead to a little ditty about "Declining fertility does not mean infertile/ Oral contraception is most effective when used at the same time every day/ No method is completely infallible except abstinence."

• Love 1