Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle Obama: When They Go Low, She Goes High

Since President Obama has his own thread, I figured that First Lady Michelle Obama deserves one of her own, for so many reasons. My verdict: I heart Michelle. She's smart, strong, stylish, elegant and beautiful. Screw Kanye-Michelle 2020!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

Since President Obama has his own thread, I figured that First Lady Michelle Obama deserves one of her own, for so many reasons. My verdict: I heart Michelle. She's smart, strong, stylish, elegant and beautiful. Screw Kanye-Michelle 2020!

She has been my girl crush since she arrived on the scene nearly ten years ago. I just love her!!!

• Love 4
(edited)

Now The Orange One has thrown shade at Michelle for daring to campaign for Hillary, specifically by taking her quote about if one can't take care of their own house, then they shouldn't be in the White House and their meaning out of context, making it sound like she dissed Hillary. I heard the original quote in its entirety on The Last Word and all she meant was how important it was for her to watch the girls while Barack was campaigning. Michelle didn't even mention Hillary, much less attack her.  

Trump has got enough troubles with women (to put it mildly-and kindly) without coming for Michelle, who's a brilliant, talented and classy lady who's more than capable of thinking and/or speaking for herself, unlike that skanky trophy he's currently married to.  When I see Barack & Michelle together, the first word I think of is "love"; otoh, when I see Donald & Melania together, the first word I think of is "prenup."

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 17

Michelle's Wiki page has a lot of interesting detail about her early life.  Two things that stand out for me are that her father had MS, and that she went to Whitney Young on the west side instead of a school closer to home.  I think South Shore would have been the closest high school back then.   Her father's condition must have given her

25 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Michelle's Wiki page has a lot of interesting detail about her early life.  Two things that stand out for me are that her father had MS, and that she went to Whitney Young on the west side instead of a school closer to home.  I think South Shore would have been the closest high school back then.   Her father's condition must have given her

Given her? 

It's not easy to get accepted into Whitney Young. People from the 'burbs' lie and say that they live in the slums of Chicago to attend some of the high schools there. 

I love Michelle Obama. 

• Love 6

When Senator Barack Obama became a serious contender for the nomination, the right went low and my opinion went high, especially when it came to Michelle Obama. I didn't know a thing about either, was strongly for Hillary Clinton, but I always do my homework. However, if not for the smears from the right, I probably would not have looked as closely at Obama's senate record, his college days, would not have read and listened to everything I could find of Rev. Wright, so I had context, never would have read Michelle's supposedly-racist thesis, and on and on. I wanted so much for Hillary Clinton to be the nominee that I wasn't trying to find reasons to like the Obamas, but everything that was supposed to be a mark against them helped win me over. Rev. Wright isn't my cup of tea, but he was talking about racism and you can hear his type of rhetoric all over this country (you can hear some preacher saying God will damn American for marriage equality, etc, in thousands of churches in the US on any given Sunday). Michelle's thesis...wow, she is smart and thoughtful and eloquent. I would have found plenty to admire about Barack Obama anyway and I was thrilled to vote for him in the general, but part of my grinning like a fool when I cast that vote was because of Michelle.   

As First Lady, she's shown class, compassion, humor, strength and resilience. I love her style, of course, but having looked in detail at things like her childhood obesity initiative, how comprehensive and smart it was, how well-organized, how committed she was to it and smart about promoting it, I find her formidable in the best possible way. The hate and bigotry she's endured...and she still and worked for us all. I love her, too. I really do. 

Edited by Darian
  • Love 19
1 minute ago, Queena said:

Given her? 

empathy towards people who aren't as able to do everything that others are able to do.   I've worked with MS patients, so I'm familiar with the challenges.  Sorry, there was a blip in my internet connection, and I just clicked "submit reply" before I was finished.  I also wanted to give a big thumbs up to the title.   I was going to go with something like Michelle Robinson Obama, Princeton, Harvard, Sidley-Austin.  This title is better, but sometimes the mods change them anyway. 

I'm not that familiar with the Chicago Public High Schools in the current era.  I've lived in the suburbs since I returned here in 1994.   Back in my era, Kenwood, Hyde Park, and South Shore were all in one district.  My district included Steinmetz and Austin.  I went to parochial schools.  I wanted to go to Lane Tech with my friends, but my parents wouldn't let me.   Whitney Young started up a little after my era.   Michelle must have gone on the "L", transferred downtown, and gotten off at Racine.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, atomationage said:

empathy towards people who aren't as able to do everything that others are able to do.   I've worked with MS patients, so I'm familiar with the challenges.  Sorry, there was a blip in my internet connection, and I just clicked "submit reply" before I was finished.  I also wanted to give a big thumbs up to the title.   I was going to go with something like Michelle Robinson Obama, Princeton, Harvard, Sidley-Austin.  This title is better, but sometimes the mods change them anyway. 

I'm not that familiar with the Chicago Public High Schools in the current era.  I've lived in the suburbs since I returned here in 1994.   Back in my era, Kenwood, Hyde Park, and South Shore were all in one district.  My district included Steinmetz and Austin.  I went to parochial schools.  I wanted to go to Lane Tech with my friends, but my parents wouldn't let me.   Whitney Young started up a little after my era.   Michelle must have gone on the "L", transferred downtown, and gotten off at Racine.

Every Chicago Public School is in the same district which is why if they had gone on strike it would've affected every school. Some are selective enrollment like Whitney Young and Walter Payton so she had to apply to get in and she had the academic record to be accepted into the school.

Here's an example of our horrible governor gaming the system to get his daughter into Payton. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130424/BLOGS02/130429892/bruce-rauner-clouted-kid-into-payton-high-school-sources-say

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Darian said:

When Senator Barack Obama because a serious contender for the nomination, the right went low and my opinion went high, especially when it came to Michelle Obama.

I voted for Hillary in 2008 too, and my coming around on Obama was very much due to Michelle.  I've always thought that you can judge a lot about a person by his or her spouse.  If they married someone awesome, they're usually pretty awesome too.  

• Love 5

Love her. She is such a wonderful role model for girls. We couldn't have asked for a better FLOTUS. It boggles my mind when people make awful attacks on her. I don't know how the other side can hate her so much. I guess they are compelled to hate on an intelligent, classy, beautiful black woman.

• Love 22
14 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Love her. She is such a wonderful role model for girls. We couldn't have asked for a better FLOTUS. It boggles my mind when people make awful attacks on her. I don't know how the other side can hate her so much. I guess they are compelled to hate on an intelligent, classy, beautiful black woman.

I'm not sure who my gun-nut, racist, misogynist in-law hates more, her or Hillary.  He posts hateful facebook stuff about both and is always attacking their physical attributes. I'm sure he is just itching to post monkey face pictures but hasn't gone quite that far. I weep for his daughters.

• Love 6
(edited)

Michelle has done it again! She gave another great speech in North Carolina when she was campaigning with Hillary, who introduced her. Hillary's got some great surrogates campaigning for/with her, but IMO Michelle's the best because no one can support, defend and/or humanize Hillary like she can. That Trump is making Melania give more campaign speeches just makes me appreciate Michelle even more. When it comes to intelligence, grace and class, as far as I'm concerned, Melania doesn't even belong in the same library with Michelle Obama, let alone the same book. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 14
17 hours ago, starri said:

I wish there was some official "When They Go Low, We Go High" campaign merch.  Win or lose on Tuesday, that's something I'd want to keep for a long, long time.

Me, too! I'd buy a t-shirt, coffee mug, embroidered pillow, bumper sticker, whatever, with that saying. Michelle is the best!

I'm happy to report that one of Michelle's dresses is a part of the Barack Obama exhibit at the National African American Museum of History and Culture.  It's the black and red dress sleeveless sheath pictured in this photo.

Always stylish, she is.  And, she made it "a thing" for those of us who work hard on our arms to proudly bare them.

Michelle's dress.jpg

• Love 12

I watched the special tonight with Michelle and Oprah. Michelle was gracious, intelligent, and poised as usual.

Oprah asked something about how Michelle has handled all the negative attention. Part of Michelle's answer was, "Well, I'm an adult." Zing!

• Love 14

The only part of the interview that I was disappointed in was when she said that we needed to support the Tangerine Turd, because if he was successful as a president, then the country would be successful.  In what world?  First of all, she was all tears during that speech right after The Dump bragged about sexually assaulting women.  So how should I support a sexual predator?  Should I be rounding up young girls and women for him to grope?  Make MYSELF available for groping?  How about his statements about deporting Muslims and "Mexicans"?  Should I start rounding them up myself to save him the bother?  Or should I just start shooting them so he doesn't have to even worry about rounding them up?  Is she SERIOUS?????  His whole purpose in life isn't to work for the good of the American people - it's to make himself the richest man in American and achieve the most money.  So Michelle, how do I help him achieve those goals?  Send him my entire paycheck?  Give up all my rights and freedoms as an American?  Just lay down and die?  Puh-LEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

The only part of the interview that I was disappointed in was when she said that we needed to support the Tangerine Turd, because if he was successful as a president, then the country would be successful.  In what world? 

This article on Huffpo today was interesting and relates to that: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-nazi-propaganda-coordinate_us_58583b6fe4b08debb78a7d5c

Quoting one part:

"The report of the study, “On the Perception of Incongruity: A Paradigm,” said, “Our major conclusion is that perceptual organization is powerfully determined by expectations built upon past commerce with the environment. When such expectations are violated by the environment, the perceiver’s behavior can be described as resistance to the unexpected or incongruous.”

The participants could only see what they expected to see. Their minds coordinated. For many Americans, the expectations of the game are divided government, stability and continuity regardless of what the candidate promises. However, if the new regime has embraced authoritarianism, then there will be trick cards in the deck that have to be identified correctly and challenged.

“Patriotism” became a trick card in Klemperer’s memoir and study of Nazi language, The Language of the Third Reich. Klemperer wrote of a Jewish neighbor, Frau K, who continued to speak with pride about Germany and the “Fuhrer,” despite having been deemed subhuman by the regime. Patriotism and deference to leadership ― respect for the office of the president, as we call it ― might have elevated Frau K in the old paradigm, but in the new one it worsened her condition."

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

I'm watching her with Oprah now. I am so glad she isn't pulling back on Trump's Access Hollywood filth.

And she still will not say Trump's name. Heh. It must drive Trump crazy that this uppity black woman will not deign to say his name. God I love her.

• Love 17

Michelle gave her last public speech as FLOTUS this morning .  :(   It was at a WH ceremony honoring hs counselors from every state. She really choked up at the end.  Overall, it was a very good speech--no surprise there--about hope and not fear and about America being inclusive of everyone, that every young person should feel it is their country. 

She did not talk about politics, but I think she feels the threat of DT deeply, maybe more so even than the president, at least it seems so from the way they each speak. I also could tell she is not going to leave the public stage when she leaves the WH, that she feels a very big responsibility, especially to young people, to stand up to the dark forces that are about to be unleashed on our country--greed, bigotry, ignorance, white supremacy, basically an attack on all of the Democrats' ideals and goals for the last sixty years.

I don't think she's going to just fade into the background while this happens.  And it made me feel better to hear her say it.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, Padma said:

Michelle gave her last public speech as FLOTUS this morning .  :(   It was at a WH ceremony honoring hs counselors from every state. She really choked up at the end.  Overall, it was a very good speech--no surprise there--about hope and not fear and about America being inclusive of everyone, that every young person should feel it is their country. 

She did not talk about politics, but I think she feels the threat of DT deeply, maybe more so even than the president, at least it seems so from the way they each speak. I also could tell she is not going to leave the public stage when she leaves the WH, that she feels a very big responsibility, especially to young people, to stand up to the dark forces that are about to be unleashed on our country--greed, bigotry, ignorance, white supremacy, basically an attack on all of the Democrats' ideals and goals for the last sixty years.

I don't think she's going to just fade into the background while this happens.  And it made me feel better to hear her say it.

I heard that and when she started choking up so did I.  What a lovely inspirational woman she is along with a hundred other positive adjectives.  

Ivanka will never be able fill her shoes.

Edited by callmebetty
  • Love 5