Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Best Buds

Riggs and Murtaugh's investigation of a drug cartel reunites Murtaugh with his former T.O. Riggs avoids the reality of Miranda's death by diverting himself with outside vices. Murtaugh and Trish struggle to find alone time.

I like that Riggs gave the old cop a head-start. He probably knew it was what Murtaugh wanted to do but wouldn't. 

By the way, has anyone noticed that Riggs' shirt is always half-untucked? His left part of the shirt is always flapping in the breeze while the right is tucked in to show off his badge. I wonder whose choice that was. 

• Love 2

Didn't get to see the whole thing tonight. Not because the show isn't good, but household stuff. (I have a season pass for such an occasion and will re-watch once posted.) But what I did see, I liked again.

It was nice to see a flashback of Riggs with Miranda, meeting her dad. And I still like this version of Trish and her relationship with Roger. She is loving but no pushover. Also loved the end with the escaping money! (Send it here!)

But I am still anti Dr. Cahill. Maybe it comes down to Jordana Brewster, I don't know. But she can go anytime now. (Saw where some on Twitter are shipping her and Riggs and it puts my teeth on edge.) I see "female cop" from the pilot was back. At least I think it was the same cop. If we need another female presence with Trish, I wouldn't mind seeing her as a fleshed-out B-character.

• Love 3

So much <3<3<3

Riggs high, Murtaugh trying to write romantic things to Trish, all that flying money. Wednesdays have become my favourite night of television. I hope this show is doing well in the ratings.

• Love 3

Another fun episode.  Ted Levine as the old security guard, I am glad he got away. 

I watch most TV time delayed but I have been making sure I watch this show at 8 pm on Wednesday.  Don't cancel this show, Fox....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But I am still anti Dr. Cahill. Maybe it comes down to Jordana Brewster, I don't know. But she can go anytime now. (Saw where some on Twitter are shipping her and Riggs and it puts my teeth on edge.) I see "female cop" from the pilot was back. At least I think it was the same cop. If we need another female presence with Trish, I wouldn't mind seeing her as a fleshed-out B-character.

I don't like her either and I think it's the actress.  Jordana Brewster comes across as cold, wooden and dull. She's also in this season of "Secrets and Lies."  She comes across the same way in that show and has zero chemistry with her on screen husband. 

I knew Riggs wasn't going to go inside for Sunday dinner but I wanted him to at least leave the bottle of whiskey on the porch (without the family seeing him). At least Papi would have known he at least tried. 

• Love 7

I'm confused. I know Riggs lost his wife in Texas (according to the TV show.) The father -in-law is some high muckity-muck in the LAPD who is also secretly watching over Riggs. But in the flashback last night, wasn't the father-in-law originally in Texas?  (True, I don't know where in Texas.)  But I find it odd that he (the father-in-law) could get such a prime job in LA (unless he worked in Houston or Dallas). Also, is it just a co-incidence that both the father-in-law AND Riggs are in LA? Also, how long ago was the death of the wife?

48 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I'm confused. I know Riggs lost his wife in Texas (according to the TV show.) The father -in-law is some high muckity-muck in the LAPD who is also secretly watching over Riggs. But in the flashback last night, wasn't the father-in-law originally in Texas?  (True, I don't know where in Texas.)  But I find it odd that he (the father-in-law) could get such a prime job in LA (unless he worked in Houston or Dallas). Also, is it just a co-incidence that both the father-in-law AND Riggs are in LA? Also, how long ago was the death of the wife?

No,  the flashback was the same house in LA.  My understanding was daughter (and FIL) were originally from LA, but daughter and Riggs lived in TX. After daughter was killed, TX PD thought Riggs wasn't mentally stable enough to be a cop.  Papi has him transferred to LA so he can continue being a cop,  etc. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

15 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

No,  the flashback was the same house in LA.  My understanding was daughter (and FIL) were originally from LA, but daughter and Riggs lived in TX. After daughter was killed, TX PD thought Riggs wasn't mentally stable enough to be a cop.  Papi has him transferred to LA so he can continue being a cop,  etc. 

In the pilot, the FIL thanks Riggs for "bringing her home" and Riggs says "she was always a California girl, hated [Texas]" -- I think she's buried in L.A. and Riggs transferred to be near her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dusang said:

In the pilot, the FIL thanks Riggs for "bringing her home" and Riggs says "she was always a California girl, hated [Texas]" -- I think she's buried in L.A. and Riggs transferred to be near her.

That was my impression too.  She followed him to Texas because she loved him and he is staying in LA now because he loves her.  

On a side note I will never hate Jordana Brewster because of D.E.B.S. Which is the awesomest movie ever.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

On a side note I will never hate Jordana Brewster because of D.E.B.S. Which is the awesomest movie ever.

Me too. Cheesey as it is, it's just plain awesome. It's the ultimate hero/villain hookup fantasy come to life.

• Love 2

Pretty sneaky of the promo department. They made it seem like Roger pulling over Trish happened the same night as the "bottle of wine and a babysitter" scene.

Good episode, but oddly, I don't really have a whole lot to say about it. Though I was a bit surprised that the case really wasn't really wrapped up at the end, what with the Pot Shop's accountant(?)'s head being found in a dumpster in Mexico, and the DEA taking over the case.

Can't recall too many instances on a cop show where things ended due to jurisdictions.

Solid episode. I guess Avery wondering where Riggs and Murtaugh are followed by dispatch announcing yet another disaster in the city is about to become a running gag. Fine by me.

They really try with Dr Cahill; the humminbird-line was good and her advice to Riggs was sound. But the character has still 'love interest' written all over her - maybe that's not where this is headed but I have my doubts. They really should have gone with someone definitely not in Riggs' dating pool if they don't want people to ship these two.

• Love 1

Her big problem is that she is still, three episodes in, one-dimensional as eff - a caring therapist. And that is it. We know next to nothing about her. And that is more on the writing then Brewster's performance - she has nothing to work with.

Other that that, this show is really solid - for a first season, the chemistry and interaction work is phenomenal. Keep it coming.

• Love 3

I was so happy to see the portrayal of pot shops in this episode!  Anyone who thinks medicinal marijuana is actually used medicinally is fooling themselves.  It's a bunch of stoners getting a legal high and laughing at the PC brigade for supporting them. 

Really liking this show so far.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Canada said:

I was so happy to see the portrayal of pot shops in this episode!  Anyone who thinks medicinal marijuana is actually used medicinally is fooling themselves.  It's a bunch of stoners getting a legal high and laughing at the PC brigade for supporting them. 

Really liking this show so far.

I remember both The Closer and Law & Order Los Angeles doing episodes of the shops being robbed without the in your face focus on this not being in any way "medicinal". The Lethal Weapon episode did spell out to a greater extent  how this legal illegal business is operating without an approved bank.

I am really liking this show.  I enjoy most of the relationships and interactions of the characters.  The weak spot for me, as others have mentioned, are the scenes with Dr. Cahill.  They just bug me.  I have come to the point of fast forwarding them.  I hate to do this but I just can't take them.  This is not because of the actors though.

Roger and Trish have probably move to the top of my list of favorite current TV married couples.

• Love 1

This is such a fun, high energy show right out of the gate. 

The dialogue for Riggs and Murtaugh is so snappy and they banter so well, which I think is a combination of the writing and the actors. There's such a natural, easy chemistry with them.

I can't wait for the show every week and I hope they keep including that adorable baby (I spied a scene in the previews with her and Riggs). I just want to take that child home and snuggle--she is too cute. 

• Love 1

I like the show a little.  The grieving widower line needs to be resolved and not with a love interest.  Those who work in law enforcement know that Riggs is not fit for duty.  He is an emotional train wreck.  No police department in the country would let this loose cannon out on the street with a weapon.

I think it would serve the show well for Riggs to move on.  The drinking and the sad sack stuff is kind of working my nerves.  I understand that what happened to his wife laid the ground work for the show (his move to LA), but the show shouldn't be built around a cop with no moral compass.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I think it would serve the show well for Riggs to move on.  The drinking and the sad sack stuff is kind of working my nerves.  I understand that what happened to his wife laid the ground work for the show (his move to LA), but the show shouldn't be built around a cop with no moral compass.

But it was also the framework for the first movie. Hell, shades of it went into the second, even when he had a new love interest. Well, it was BECAUSE of her and what occurred with her that those feelings still seemed to be on the periphery. It wasn't 'til movie #3 that the out of control side of Riggs left him (ironically, that is when Lorna Cole - Riggs' would-be girlfriend/later wife - showed up). But he still had his unpredictable edge.

I know the series isn't the movies, but the characters still seem - as of now - to match their counterparts. So being what it is, if S1 holds in the ratings, I'd guess Riggs will snap out of his grief by the finale but still keep his crazy edge as he did in those movies.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But it was also the framework for the first movie. Hell, shades of it went into the second, even when he had a new love interest. Well, it was BECAUSE of her and what occurred with her that those feelings still seemed to be on the periphery. It wasn't 'til movie #3 that the out of control side of Riggs left him (ironically, that is when Lorna Cole - Riggs' would-be girlfriend/later wife - showed up). But he still had his unpredictable edge.

I know the series isn't the movies, but the characters still seem - as of now - to match their counterparts. So being what it is, if S1 holds in the ratings, I'd guess Riggs will snap out of his grief by the finale but still keep his crazy edge as he did in those movies.

But see that was it, the first movie. The second movie the behavior became a problem when the South African's put it in his face that the case was connected to his wife which brought it back to the fore. But then I was expecting a time jump after the pilot rather than another cop like on The Bridge who I never could buy being able to function well enough to get a detective's badge. but so far Riggs isn't as out there as she was because of the tone of the rest of the show.

Like I said, if the ratings hold, I think this will be resolved by the finale. Unless the show is still determined to try to make Dr. Cahill fit in. In that case, I can see this dragging on. But I hope not.

I enjoy the show as escapist fun but the final car chase/gun fight kinda bugged. I know I shouldn't let reality intrude but do you know how heavily armed the basic police cruiser in L.A. is? And the response time for a car chase like that? M&R would not have been waiting that long for back-up (even though they stupidly didn't call for any).

14 minutes ago, dusang said:

I enjoy the show as escapist fun but the final car chase/gun fight kinda bugged. I know I shouldn't let reality intrude but do you know how heavily armed the basic police cruiser in L.A. is? And the response time for a car chase like that? M&R would not have been waiting that long for back-up (even though they stupidly didn't call for any).

Well they are not alone in that, even the most serious cop shows normally has the detective/federal agent rushing to scene with nobody stopping to think that cops are spread around on patrol so someone might be close if trouble erupts. But the grand champion remains CSI Miami were the crime lab Humvee lead a convoy with patrol cars and the Miami helicopter flying in low formation  trailing behind the convoy..

Was the party house in this episode the same as the drug house in LW1? Where the bad guy drowns in the pool? Probably not but the thought popped up while watching.

I loved the Captain's line (he really gets some good ones) "He took a taser for you? I wouldn't have done that". I also liked that for all of Riggs "I don't care" attitude, he was paying attention in the morgue and knew what would happen to Murtaugh if someone used a taser on him.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved the Captain's line (he really gets some good ones) "He took a taser for you? I wouldn't have done that". I also liked that for all of Riggs "I don't care" attitude, he was paying attention in the morgue and knew what would happen to Murtaugh if someone used a taser on him.

I did watch this week but wasn't really too excited with it. Seemed a little filler. I do think that Riggs has one thing keeping him alive... that is keeping Murtaugh alive. Right now I would say that is the only thing giving him any grip on a positive life. Trish told him last week that was his job and I wouldn't be surprised if she did that not so much for Roger but for Riggs to give him something to do while he worked out his grief.  Though I do worry that Riggs could face a mental health set back if Murtaugh or any of his family got hurt due to him. 

Dr. Cahill I think scored with Riggs this week by reminding him that his FIL and the family was also grieving. I think this was the first time he saw out of his pain and I think that is a sign of recovery. I do agree that Dr. Cahill isn't very well fleshed out.  It is bothersome.  She needs some sort of hook that is outside of treating Riggs.  Maybe like she gets called in to profile bad guys or something. Some work related thing that would have her a member of the cop team sometimes and establish trust in Riggs. 

• Love 3

I like Roger/Trish a lot, but I didn't like that Roger met her when he was a rookie. Dude's over a DECADE older than her! Why not just keep that same exact story, only have him be, you know, older? He met her at a traffic stop. She kicked his ass at court. He asked her out. That's a cute story. Why try to make them roughly the same age? 

EDITED TO ADD: I mean, I guess they could theoretically reveal that Roger didn't become a cop until he was 30, but that seems highly unlikely, right? It seems a lot more likely that Wayans is playing mid-40s for some reason. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
14 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I like Roger/Trish a lot, but I didn't like that Roger met her when he was a rookie. Dude's over a DECADE older than her! Why not just keep that same exact story, only have him be, you know, older? He met her at a traffic stop. She kicked his ass at court. He asked her out. That's a cute story. Why try to make them roughly the same age? 

EDITED TO ADD: I mean, I guess they could theoretically reveal that Roger didn't become a cop until he was 30, but that seems highly unlikely, right? It seems a lot more likely that Wayans is playing mid-40s for some reason. 

They aren't the same age though. He's 50 and she's.....42? 43? They say it at some point.  So how old are starting lawyers? Or maybe she was in law school and knew enough to kick his ass.

• Love 1

Trish is 42.  I guess one could hand wave that Trish was a law student when they met, but we're not meant to think too deeply about it.  Wayans can pass for early to mid 40s easily.  Not sure why they couldn't have made Murtaugh around that age beyond what I assume is "Murtaugh was in his 50s in the films".  It's not like men in their 40s never have heart surgery. 

11 hours ago, Watermelon said:

They aren't the same age though. He's 50 and she's.....42? 43? They say it at some point.  So how old are starting lawyers? Or maybe she was in law school and knew enough to kick his ass.

You're absolutely correct. He IS 50 on the show. My bad. So I'll just assume he was a really old rookie then and it can still work. 

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

You're absolutely correct. He IS 50 on the show. My bad. So I'll just assume he was a really old rookie then and it can still work. 

He could have been in the military before he became a cop, which is a common real life scenario — but if so, it would be helpful if they mentioned it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

He could have been in the military before he became a cop, which is a common real life scenario — but if so, it would be helpful if they mentioned it. 

I would have to go back and watch closely but in response to the shared military background the movie characters had I had it stuck in my mind that Detective Murtaugh was a 25 year veteran cop, missing the Global War on Terror, the Gulf War or Mogadishu, unless as a reservist he was called. In any case real life LAPD takes recruits up to 35, and older with waivers.

• Love 1

I loved the scenes with Riggs and his FIL. At the end, I was rooting SO HARD for him to go into the house, but it also seemed very realistic that he couldn't do it.